The Exodus Obama Forgot to Mention

by Kafir ( 47 Comments › )
Filed under Barack Obama, Egypt, Judaism, Politics at June 10th, 2009 - 9:07 am

Great Op-Ed in the NYTimes:
The Exodus Obama Forgot to Mention

PRESIDENT OBAMA’S speech to the Islamic world was a groundbreaking event. Never before has a young, dynamic American president, beloved both by his countrymen and the nations of the world, extended so timely and eager a hand to a part of the globe that, recently, had seen fewer and fewer reasons to trust us or to wish us well.

And yet, for all the president’s talk of “a new beginning between the United States and Muslims around the world” and shared “principles of justice and progress,” neither he nor anyone around him, and certainly no one in the audience, bothered to notice one small detail missing from the speech: he forgot me.

The president never said a word about me. Or, for that matter, about any of the other 800,000 or so Jews born in the Middle East who fled the Arab and Muslim world or who were summarily expelled for being Jewish in the 20th century. With all his references to the history of Islam and to its (questionable) “proud tradition of tolerance” of other faiths, Mr. Obama never said anything about those Jews whose ancestors had been living in Arab lands long before the advent of Islam but were its first victims once rampant nationalism swept over the Arab world.

Nor did he bother to mention that with this flight and expulsion, Jewish assets were — let’s call it by its proper name — looted. Mr. Obama never mentioned the belongings I still own in Egypt and will never recover. My mother’s house, my father’s factory, our life in Egypt, our friends, our books, our cars, my bicycle. We are, each one of us, not just defined by the arrangement of protein molecules in our cells, but also by the things we call our own. Take away our things and something in us dies. Losing his wealth, his home, the life he had built, killed my father. He didn’t die right away; it took four decades of exile to finish him off.

Read the rest.

Tags:

Comments

47 Responses to “The Exodus Obama Forgot to Mention”

1. 1 | June 10, 2009 9:24 am

M,
    Good to see you back. I hope everything is ok.

Yeah Muslims never do any wrong in the mind of the Progressive Fascists. Another Exodus not mentioned is the flight of Middle East Christians like Copts, Chaldeans and Maronites from their host nations.

This is a Leftist double standard. Its bad when Muslims flee but when Christians and Jews Flee, its ok. I’m really sick of it.

2. m
    2 | June 10, 2009 9:29 am

It is a leftist double standard, and it’s being strengthened by the lack of knowledge with Joe Public. Every single time I hear the claim “they stole the Palis land” it makes me want to scream.

3. 3 | June 10, 2009 9:36 am

re: #2 by m

I tell peopel the rabs stole that land from Romans in the 7th Century. In turn the Romans stole it from the Jews.
    Now tehe Jews are back, they are the rightful owner. Its so dumb, Arabs have 20 countries, why can’t the Jews have one?

4. goddessoftheclassroom
    4 | June 10, 2009 9:48 am

Ask my kids, ask my students: I don’t care who started it or what happened before. It can’t be changed. What matters is where we go from here.

Israel exists. It won additional land in a war. That’s done. Israel OWES NO ONE NOTHING.

I would love to see a peace plan in which Jordan provides x number of square miles for the Palestinian homeland or offer them citizenship. THEN LET IT GO.

5. 5 | June 10, 2009 9:50 am

kinda strange coming from the liberal times

6. 6 | June 10, 2009 9:58 am

re: #4 by goddessoftheclassroom

That would work if it was really about land..

7. zeebeach
    7 | June 10, 2009 10:10 am

I don’t understand why the Christian church(es) are not educating their congregation about this? Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it, and next time it may well be the Christians?

8. BuddyG
    8 | June 10, 2009 10:11 am

After WWII, Poland’s borders were adjusted westward to the extent that about 30% of present day Poland used to be German territory. Yet Germans are blowing themselves up in crowded Warsaw restaurants. Or launching home made rockets towards Poland. Or raising their children with hatred of all things Polish.

The Arabs of the west bank & Gaza strip are a disgrace.

9. orthoi
    9 | June 10, 2009 10:13 am

re: #1 by Rodan

While I support and pray for my Arabic Christian brothers and sisters, there is a strong undercurrent of anti-Semitism among them. Many that I have met, especially among the Orthodox, are vehemently anti-Israel.Some will complain about the Muslims in one breath, then the next minute condemn and blame the Jews for all the problems of Christians in the Middle East. And they all have the “Pray for Palestine” posters in the church hall with crying kids behind barbed wire fences.

I don’t personally know any Copts (talked to a few through forums who are incredibly anti-Israel), Maronites, etc, but the Orthodox, wow. You can see it in the statements of the Patriarchs of Antioch, Jerusalem, and Alexandria, and even from the Ecumenical Patriarch (Constantinople). This is carried over to the US. There are many converts to Orthodoxy of the “Crunchy Conservative” type- sort of hippie conservatives, if you will. Very anti-Israel. Very much opposed to American exceptionalism. Put off by the military and the concept of use of force. We know a few families like this in our church, one used to be Evangelical. Even our priest, who is incredibly conservative and anti-jihad, very aware of the Muslim and Leftist threat (being from former USSR) is no friend of Israel, though he never discusses politics in church.

Part of it is the continuance and misunderstanding of replacement theology. I think that attracts people who are extremely rigid in their Christianity and have “Jewish issues”. It’s hard to be that way in many Evangelical churches nowadays. So look not to the Arabic Christians as staunch allies for Israel, at least not among the Orthodox.

10. vagabond trader
    10 | June 10, 2009 10:17 am

re: #4 by goddessoftheclassroom

Goddess, all due respect, the land Israel “won” has always belonged to Jews.This fact will never be accepted by most of the Arab-Islamic world.

11. 11 | June 10, 2009 10:20 am

re: #9 by orthoi

Maronites in lebanon are pro-Israel. But they aren’t Arabs or Orthodox, they are Catholic. I have Maronite relatives as my Dominican Grandmother’s parenst came from lebanon.

I am not saying Arab Christians are allies of Israel. I am just saying that they too have been victims of Islam and forced to flee.

12. m
    12 | June 10, 2009 10:21 am

Reports of shots fired at DC Holocaust Museum

13 | June 10, 2009 10:21 am

re: #2 by m

The Crusades were actually a counter reconquista. The Muslims conquered the land (Israel) from the Byzantines just as they stole much of Spain from the Visigoths.

14. Nbpundit
    14 | June 10, 2009 10:22 am

If they had be aggressive they would have taken
    all God promised them, to the Euphrates and
    the Tigris.

15. 15 | June 10, 2009 10:22 am

re: #9 by orthoi

What I have noticed is that Serb Orthodox are not anti-Jewish and they are Pro-Israel. Is there a reason for this? My girl told me that Serbs don’t view Jewish Serbs as different than them. In fact many Serb Jews fought for the Chetniks in WW2 and for them in the Balkan wars.

16. vapig
    16 | June 10, 2009 10:23 am

Holy Shit! Breaking News! 3 People have been shot in front of the Holocaust Museum in DC.

17. vapig
    17 | June 10, 2009 10:28 am

re: #3 by Rodan

I thought they have 57 worldwide.

18. 18 | June 10, 2009 10:28 am

re: #13 by Speranza

Correct. It was a counter attack along with the Reconquista in Spain. The Reconquista is hated by Leftists. The Left loves Islamic Spain and make up lies about it.

19. bp_sf
    19 | June 10, 2009 10:29 am

Thank you for posting that, m.

Professor Aciman must really enjoy all the staged “door key” photos.

Sorry that lavishing false praise on the 1st Fraud was neccessary for his op-ed to be published in the (soon to be bailed out) NYeffinT.

20. vagabond trader
    20 | June 10, 2009 10:30 am

One man taken into custody,FBI terror task force on scene, number of people shot unknown.

21. vapig
    21 | June 10, 2009 10:30 am

re: #7 by zeebeach

It did happen to Christians, too. Christians originated in the Middle East. How many Christians do you think are still there?

22. Noodlenoggin
    22 | June 10, 2009 10:31 am

*on lunch break, only have a few moments*

Finally I have been able to get in!

I see others have made it over.

*waves to other former GCPers*

nbpundit, it is truly saddening that GCP has bitten the dust. I hope admin reconsiders.

Someone contact rayra. I will miss him.

*hugs ed and havoc*
    I read the thread and I did not think either one was at fault for anything amiss.

I hope to see you all again and frequently.

*time to eat and get back to work*

23. vagabond trader
    23 | June 10, 2009 10:31 am

re: #14 by Nbpundit

24. goddessoftheclassroom
    24 | June 10, 2009 10:34 am

re: #10 by vagabond trader

I agree. My point is the stupidity of any so-called peace process that demands Israel cede any land,

25. newsjunkie_ky
    25 | June 10, 2009 10:35 am

I HOPE obama FAILS!

26. vagabond trader
    26 | June 10, 2009 10:35 am

re: #24 by goddessoftheclassroom

Really, it worked out so well with Gaza, also Jewish turf.

School almost out?

27. vagabond trader
    27 | June 10, 2009 10:36 am

re: #25 by newsjunkie_ky

I second that. Pelousy and her crew as well!

28. vapig
    28 | June 10, 2009 10:41 am

re: #9 by orthoi

Middle East Christians are raised with the same anti-semitic rhetoric that muslims are:

29. zeebeach
    29 | June 10, 2009 10:42 am

re: #21 by vapig

Forgive my ignorance. I support Israel 100% due to my understanding of the political history and my (totally inadequate) understanding of religious history. Appreciate any education you can give me.

30. vagabond trader
    30 | June 10, 2009 10:44 am

Oh boy, rev wright showing his Jew hate loud and clear. This is exactly what The Obamas listened to for 20 years.

31. goddessoftheclassroom
    31 | June 10, 2009 10:48 am

re: #26 by vagabond trader

Yep, for the past week. Lots of stuff to do on the home front.

32. vapig
    32 | June 10, 2009 10:48 am

re: #29 by zeebeach

Forgive me if I sounded snarky to you. While I certainly understand the plight of the Jews and support them wholeheartedly, it just gets my goat that the treatment of Christians in the Middle East are totally overlooked.

33. vapig
    33 | June 10, 2009 10:51 am

re: #30 by vagabond trader

I heard about that. This has got to be the most anti-semitic hateful man -- EVAH!

No way obummer wasn’t affected by that rhetoric.

34. newsjunkie_ky
    34 | June 10, 2009 10:53 am

VT,
    I heard (and read) about revwright and ‘them Jews’. I sure wish they (meccain) had concentrated a little more on the revwright and his hatefest.

35. vagabond trader
    35 | June 10, 2009 10:54 am

re: #33 by vapig

My thoughts exactly. Some Christian the ole rev is ,eh? He’s so frank in his Jew hate,sounds just like a Muslim.

36. Ed Mahmoud
  37. vagabond trader
    37 | June 10, 2009 10:57 am

re: #34 by newsjunkie_ky

It’s been said so many times but how could any self respecting Jew shrug off the connections to this offensive church and vote for The Obama.Willful ignorance writ very large.

38. m
    38 | June 10, 2009 10:58 am

re: #30 by vagabond trader

:!:

Asked if he had spoken to the President, Wright said: “Them Jews aren’t going to let him talk to me. I told my baby daughter, that he’ll talk to me in five years when he’s a lame duck, or in eight years when he’s out of office. …

He’s a sick man.

39. Ed Mahmoud
    39 | June 10, 2009 10:59 am

re: #16 by vapig

I didn’t see your post. I hope it isn’t some White Pride/Identity nut, because libs and their sycos like Chuckles will blame Christianist (or whatever) terrorists.

40. vagabond trader
    40 | June 10, 2009 11:02 am

re: #38 by m

A repulsive man who obviously influenced the first couple.

Like the mysterious new gravitar m!

41. 41 | June 10, 2009 11:03 am

re: #34 by newsjunkie_ky

When the NC GOP tried to do that, McCain demanded they stop and said they were out of touch with reality.

That works well for him…..

42. vagabond trader
    42 | June 10, 2009 11:04 am

re: #39 by Ed Mahmoud

It was a Jew hater, they come in many guises. Thank G-d there were armed security guards, I hope they are ok.

43. m
    43 | June 10, 2009 11:38 am

re: #39 by Ed Mahmoud

Mensa member.

James W Von -according to foxnews.

44. m
    44 | June 10, 2009 11:44 am

re: #40 by vagabond trader

The bigger one looks cool :[ On that one it’s a sunburst instead of a white blob! lol

Rev Wrong definitely had an effect on Obama. If they’re saying something that you disagree with fundamentally, you’ll find a new church. That’s not the only one in Chicago. He agreed with what was being fed. Until he didn’t believe it.

45. orthoi
    45 | June 10, 2009 12:08 pm

re: #15 by Rodan

I’ve read this as well. My thought (with no empirical data to back it up) would be due to the fact that Serbs believe they were robbed of their lands by the Latin/Roman Catholics and the Muslims. They also see the Jews as fellow victims of the Nazis, Muslims, and the Catholic Church. As a general rule, Orthos tend towards anti-Catholicism, in some part due to the belief that the Roman Church “stole” parts of Ukraine after the Reformation.

Also perhaps the Serbs pay more attention to the spirit of Orthodoxy rather than tradition or current politics. One thing the Orthodox tended to do over the course of history (except when linked with empire) is swim against the current of politics.

This is something to look into. We don’t have a huge Serbian population here.

I knew one American-Lebanese Christian in college (long time ago) who said he supported the Phalange but was incredibly anti- Israeli and anti-Semitic to boot. Incredibly nice looking guy, great personality, but his politics made me puke.

46. orthoi
    46 | June 10, 2009 12:13 pm

re: #28 by vapig

Very sad, but that’s typical. They prefer their known oppressor rather than to take a risk. They’ve created a mythology of this golden age of tolerance and understanding that was disturbed first by the Crusades (Orthos are very hostile about the Crusades, I’m constantly having to debate the history with them), and then by the return of the Jews. They’ll look you in the face and say, “everything was fine until the Jews came back.”

Not to say I don’t have great sympathy for the Middle Eastern Christians. I’ve discussed with our priest the possibility of addressing the hierarchy of the Church here to inquire with the fed gov about some sort of refugee program for them, but we’re not a religious establishment with any clout, and I think the Copts are even in a worse position.

There’s also some debate as to whether they should abandon the Biblical lands to the Muslims or stay and be a presence. Of course this debate is held entirely among people living safely in America.

47. Owl
    47 | June 10, 2009 3:14 pm

<blockquote beloved both by his countrymen and the nations of the world

Bwahahahaahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha.

Yeah, ok. Right. Well, we’ll see about all that love when The Tyrant King gets finished taxing us until we drop dead and can’t afford bread or water.