Biden Says Israel Has ‘Sovereign Right’ to Hit Iran

by Bob in Breckenridge ( 33 Comments › )
Filed under Iran, Islamic Terrorism, Israel, Nuclear Weapons, Terrorism at July 6th, 2009 - 8:15 am

July 6 (Bloomberg) — Vice President Joe Biden asserted Israel’s “sovereign right” to attack Iran’s nuclear facilities and reiterated a U.S. offer to meet with the Tehran government over its suspected weapons program.

Israel “can determine for itself as a sovereign nation what is in its best interest,” Biden said in an interview with the ABC News program “This Week,” that was taped July 4 and aired yesterday.  A U.S. offer to meet with Iran about its nuclear program remains “on the table,” Biden said.

If Iranian leaders “seek to engage, we will engage” in talks, Biden said. If Iran responds by isolating itself, the U.S. has no standing to prevent Israel from taking action, he said.

“Israel can determine for itself as a sovereign nation what is in its best interest,” Biden said. “If the Netanyahu government decides to take a course of action different than the one being pursued now, that is their sovereign right to do that. That is not our choice.”

Iran’s Response

A senior Iranian parliamentary official warned of “real and decisive” action if Israel launches a strike on its nuclear facilities, the Associated Press reported.

Alaeddin Broujerdi, the head of Iran’s parliamentary committee on national security and foreign policy, told reporters in Tokyo today that both the U.S. and Israel are “aware of the consequence” of such action, the AP reported.

Obama said Iran’s crackdown on opposition leaders wouldn’t prevent the U.S. from seeking direct negotiations with the Iranian regime, the New York Times reported on its Web site late yesterday.

In an interview with the newspaper before his departure yesterday for Moscow, Obama said the U.S. had “grave concerns” about the arrests and intimidation of opponents of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. At the same time, the door remains open for talks, he said.

‘Security Interests’

“We’ve got some fixed national security interests in Iran not developing nuclear weapons, in not exporting terrorism, and we have offered a pathway for Iran to rejoining the international community,” Obama was cited as saying.

Obama said after his May 18 meeting with Netanyahu that “we should have a fairly good sense by the end of the year” about the status of negotiations with Iran.

Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said separately that a military strike by any nation against Iran would be “destabilizing.” He also said a nuclear-armed Iran and military action against that country both “are really, really bad options.”

Iran has defied three sets of United Nations Security Council sanctions demanding a halt to the enrichment of uranium, a key bomb-making ingredient. Iran denies western suspicions that it is pursuing a weapons capability, saying it wants to build power plants.

Iran has stepped up the pace of uranium production and continued to block attempts by international monitors to probe whether it’s secretly developing weapons, the International Atomic Energy Agency said June 5.

{The Rest of The Article}

_________________________________

(*UPDATE by WrathofG-d) Israeli FM Praises Biden on Iran Comments

(notice the labeling of Lieberman however – “hardline”, “hawk”, “measured”, “radical”, “beat the drum”…)

Comments

33 Responses to “Biden Says Israel Has ‘Sovereign Right’ to Hit Iran”

1. vapig
    1 | July 6, 2009 8:28 am

FIRST!!!

Linky no worky!

I’m surprised that Biden said this. My first reaction was Biden was gonna be in big trouble with Maobama! Though, being in Russia, he may wait til he get’s home before he calls his VP into the principals office for a dressing down!

2. vagabond trader
    2 | July 6, 2009 8:43 am

Meh,talk is cheap.I trust NOTHING from this administration, esp where Israel is concerned.

3. My5princesses
    3 | July 6, 2009 8:51 am

Hello Ladies!

I truly believe the Saudis and Gulf Sheiks wouldn’t mind Israel striking Iran, and might even facilitate it. The worst scenario for them would be the destruction of Israel. It’s easy to keep their subjects pissed off when Israel’s around, but without them???

I think they also realize if Israel feels like they’re in trouble, they might strike Mecca and Medina.

The Gulfer’s are businessmen/Kings first, they don’t need any trouble. Plus, it might turn the tide of public opinion in the US to get our own stinking energy.

On another note, Is it OK for me to be happy that my daughters, wife, and granddaughter will be spending a few days at the shore WITHOUT me?
    Should I act like I’m sad, or continue with my glee?

4. vagabond trader
    4 | July 6, 2009 9:09 am

re: #3 by My5princesses

My suggestion to you is solemnly express an appropriate amount of “Miss yous” to the ladies or steel yourself for an unpleasant homecoming.

As for Israel, not sure they have the capability of blasting all the Iranian nuke facilities.Some are deep underground,heavily re enforced in multiple locales.Its a win win for the Sauds, they miss, Israel gets tarred, they hit, Israel gets tarred, Sauds secretly happy. We’ll see.

5. My5princesses
    5 | July 6, 2009 9:22 am

re: #4 by vagabond trader

Well, without me there, who will the whining be directed to? I guess it might build up till they see me again. I better have lots of outside work and hope it doesn’t rain.

As far as Israel goes, I don’t have the slightest clue as to when the Iranians will have a nuclear weapon that can be successfully detonated in Israel. The US could really put the hurtin on Iran if we wanted to, considering we have them surrounded. I won’t hold my breath waiting for the boy genius to exert pressure on his mentors though.

6. vapig
    6 | July 6, 2009 9:34 am

OT -- Obama just surrendered to the Russians!

Can we oust him for treason now?

7. 7 | July 6, 2009 9:35 am

Quote By Burt Prelutsky at Townhall

“I sincerely hope that when the president goes in for his annual check-up, the doctors at Bethesda will do a brain scan. Surely something must be terribly wrong with a man who seems to be far more concerned with a Jew building a house in Israel than with Muslims building a nuclear bomb in Iran.”

c/o Israel Matsav.

There is something curiously wrong about this Administration when in one breath they state that they are in no position to dictate to Israel whether they can bomb another Country, but have no problem dictating to Israel how many children they can have, and how many homes they can build.

8. BuddyG
    8 | July 6, 2009 9:56 am

Biden finally said something that actually makes sense

9. vapig
    9 | July 6, 2009 10:01 am

re: #3 by My5princesses

Naw! Just don’t do it to their faces!

I used to love it when my husband went out of town. Only times I ever got any peace and quiet while I was with him!

10. m
    10 | July 6, 2009 10:14 am

re: #7 by WrathofG-d

Kind of like how he said we have no business meddling in Iranian affairs, but was quick to push sanctions and put his foot right in the middle of Honduran affairs?

11. 11 | July 6, 2009 10:17 am

OT:

I wonder what Biden, Obama, and the rest of the Leftists (and their media) have to say about this:

Arabs Burned Jewish Holy Books at Homesh.

“Arabs raided the yeshiva of Homesh in Samaria on Wednesday and torched dozens of books of the Talmud and of the Five Books of Moses, leaving behind a pile of ashes. The arsonists ignored personal equipment, including beds, tables and chairs, and concentrated all their energies on Jewish texts.”

12. vapig
    12 | July 6, 2009 10:25 am

re: #11 by WrathofG-d

In Samaria? When is the Israeli gov’t going to crack down on the 5th column in their own midst?

Just as forcibly evicting Jews from Gaza, bulldozing jewish homes in Judah and Samaria, and arresting Jews in “arab” portions of Jerusalem, the Israeli gov’t is the Israeli peoples own worst enemy!

Muslaims have dozens of islamic states where practice of any other religion is against the law and punishible by death. So should Israel declare a Jewish State!

Any arab terrorism will be dealt with the execution of the entire family. If attacks continue, all arabs are to be expelled from the Jewish State!

Arabs can either elect to leave or be forced to pay a tax for the priviledge of living in the Jewish Democracy and the world be damned!

13. 13 | July 6, 2009 10:26 am

re: #10 by m

Yes just like that. Interesting with Honduras is how our Government sided with Governmental Totalitarianism over Constitutional principles. I remember when the U.S. used to stand for the rule of law over the power of the Leadership. Just part of our Dear Leader’s Double Standard I guess.

14. off with my head
    14 | July 6, 2009 10:28 am

re: #8 by BuddyG

A person could play the drinking game and have a drink everytime Biden says “Look…”

Biden’s f’n “Look” and Obama’s F’n “Let me be clear…”. Talking down to all of us. I suppose their followers need to be talked down to.

15. 15 | July 6, 2009 10:28 am

re: #12 by vapig

Above all, it is not decency or goodness or gentleness that impresses the Middle East, but strength.

Meir Kahane

They Must Go! :)

16. HarryS
    16 | July 6, 2009 10:32 am

OT

Was just slumming and once again Chucky displays his cluelessness/hypocracy by his ‘apparent’ suprise at the lack of MSM coverage of the mosr recent Tea Party protests:

“but I was surprised to see so little media coverage of the July 4th events.”

why any conservative would remain an active member of his site bewilders me.

17. vagabond trader
    17 | July 6, 2009 10:35 am

re: #7 by WrathofG-d

That is a terrific quote!

A keeper, worth repeating as needed.

18. 18 | July 6, 2009 10:38 am

re: #17 by vagabond trader

He has many. Here are a few:

One of the great problems with Americans is that -- being a decent people -- they assume that everyone else is equally decent.

Human rights -- especially those of non-Moslems or non- Arabs -- simply do not have the same absolute value that they do in the West.

If we ever hope to rid the world of the political AIDS of our time, terrorism, the rule must be clear: One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.

19. no2liberals
    19 | July 6, 2009 10:43 am

I think Biden needs a do-over on his second brain surgery.
    Saying Israel has that right is stating the obvious.
    What isn’t obvious is that the current administration would never offer to negotiate on Israel’s behalf, for using the air space over Iraq to reach Iran. Nor would they offer to let their jets refuel in Iraq, on the ground or in the air.
    Without assistance from the U.S., Israel only has covert operations, not an aerial attack.
    I believe Biden was just issuing a benign statement, intended to fluff the Iranian feathers.

20. BuddyG
    20 | July 6, 2009 10:44 am

re: #14 by off with my head

Drinking Games

-- Do a shot everytime Pelosi blinks
    -- Do a shot everytime N.Korea fires a missile
    -- Do a shot everytime Ahmadinejad threatens Israel
    -- Do a shot everytime Maobama raises the national debt

21. vagabond trader
    21 | July 6, 2009 10:47 am

re: #18 by WrathofG-d

Thanks for those and the books link. As you know they are difficult to find, especially here in Podunk.

lol, was just thinking, this message would be deleted at “certain” blogs and we would have gotten the ban stick.

22. BuddyG
    22 | July 6, 2009 10:48 am

re: #19 by no2liberals

Well at least Biden didn’t say “Israel does not have the right to strike Iran”

23. vagabond trader
    23 | July 6, 2009 10:48 am

re: #19 by no2liberals

Exactly, lip service for “the Jews” here and in Israel, a wink and a warning to the mullahs.

24. no2liberals
    24 | July 6, 2009 10:50 am

re: #22 by BuddyG
    I think it was just a feeble attempt to poke the Mad Mullahs with a pointy stick.

25. 25 | July 6, 2009 10:52 am

re: #21 by vagabond trader

Yes Meir Kahane was one of the subjects “verbotin” elsewhere. Which is awefully funny insofar that I am quite sure that the banners had never read him. I challenge anyone to read his book “They Must Go!” and tell me that he wasn’t onto something.

Its funny when one bans something they know nothing about. This is the common response of most people regarding Meir Kahane actually. Very few have actually read his books, or his speeches, etc, but many will tell you how horrible he is. These people posses the mental intelligence and curiosity of a high school cheerleader vying for applause from the popular crowd.

Read him, then tell me why you disagree. Not vice versa. You don’t have to like him, but at least make up your own opinion after actually becoming educated on the subject.

After reading a few of his books, I truly believe that anyone that does not read They Must Go! is missing out.

26. no2liberals
    26 | July 6, 2009 10:53 am

re: #23 by vagabond trader
    The Jews that support him here in the U.S. are liberals first and foremost.
    He has lost the Jewish support in Israel, and he’s viewed more as an enemy.
    I think it is just a weak attempt to remind Iran that this administration has some leverage in negotiating with Iran.
    I don’t detect a clenched fist on this administrations part, by this bizarre statement from Biden.

27. no2liberals
    27 | July 6, 2009 10:57 am

Pardon my drive-by.
    Grabbed some lunch, checked some news, checked on La Gringa, and now back to the salt mine.

28. mike
    28 | July 6, 2009 11:32 am

Well at least Biden didn’t say “Israel does not have the right to strike Iran”

Yeah, but you don’t know what he meant. Maybe his dentures slipped.

29. 29 | July 6, 2009 11:37 am

OT:

We often are told about the “non-violent” protests of “Palestinians” against the “controversial separation barrier” in Bilin.

Well, here is the truth!

Keep it in mind the next time someone gives you the “non-violent demonstrations & over handed Israeli response” line.

30. My5princesses
    30 | July 6, 2009 11:48 am

re: #29 by WrathofG-d

Those Israelis need to work on their “over-handedness”, those Palis are out in the open without bullet proof vests on.

Now, if they were from Haiti or the Dominican Republic, I might believe they have great arms.

Never saw a Pali in the Major leagues, although one would think they’d be able to handle a bat and throw from the pictures you see all the time.

31. 31 | July 6, 2009 11:59 am

re: #30 by My5princesses

Here to further prove my point of the liars on behalf of the Phakestinians an ISM report (and probably what will be picked up by the MSM) regarding the July 3 “demonstrations”.

32. My5princesses
    32 | July 6, 2009 12:12 pm

re: #31 by WrathofG-d

Having endured a nasty divorce in which my ex-wife’s lawyers attempted to make up crazy shit about me, I can somewhat understand the plight of the Israelis. When I complained to the Judges/Legal personnel/police handling the cases, I was told there was nothing they could do.
    I started going nose to nose with the Lawyers and my EX, and I started gaining ground. Once they figured out I was not someone they wanted to threaten, they backed off.

Israel needs to finish their wall, build their settlements and say screw it to the rest of the world who hates them. It is better to be feared and respected by your enemies than to be understood.

Negociations work well in business when both parties have something to gain from the other. It does not work when the only things the other side is offering you (your lives) is something you would never give up.

33. 33 | July 6, 2009 1:22 pm

How will Gibbs spin Biden’s comments this time?