Netanyahu: Jerusalem is Ours, Not Up for Debate

by Bob in Breckenridge ( 35 Comments › )
Filed under Barack Obama, Democratic Party, Israel, Leftist-Islamic Alliance at July 19th, 2009 - 4:40 pm

This is just one reason I love the guy.  He won’t put up with the Obama administration’s anti-Semitic bulls**t. He’ll tell Obama and his lackeys to pound sand.

(IsraelNN.com) Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu issued a sharp response Sunday to United States pressure to stop Jews from building in parts of Jerusalem claimed by the Palestinian Authority. Israel’s sovereignty in Jerusalem is “not up for debate,” Netanyahu said, and Jews are permitted to build in any part of the capital city, as are Arabs.

Netanyahu implied that the U.S. request was racist, saying before the weekly Cabinet meeting, “Imagine what would happen if Jews were forbidden to live or to buy apartments in certain parts of London, New York, Paris or Rome. There would be an international outcry.”

“All the more, we cannot to a decree like this regarding Jerusalem,” he said.

Over the weekend, the U.S. State Department summoned Israeli envoy Michael Oren and demanded that Israel halt construction of Jewish homes in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood, near the ancient grave of Shimon HaTzaddik (Simon the Just). The property on which the homes are to be built has been owned by Jewish activist Dr. Irving Moskowitz for more than 20 years.

Oren told U.S. officials that Israel would not agree to stop building in the area.

Israel annexed Sheikh Jarrah and other Jerusalem neighborhoods following the Six Day War, in which the city was reunified after 19 years of Jordanian rule in the eastern half of the city. While Israel has maintained sovereignty in the capital city for more than 40 years, the Palestinian Authority continues to demand all areas controlled by Jordan in the 1950s.

The United States, along with most of the world, has refused to recognize Israeli sovereignty in Jerusalem in deference to the PA. The American embassy is located in Tel Aviv, not Jerusalem, and American citizens born in Jerusalem may not list “Israel” as their country of birth on their American documents.

Read the rest here

Comments

35 Responses to “Netanyahu: Jerusalem is Ours, Not Up for Debate”

1. 1 | July 19, 2009 4:51 pm

Good for Israel. Obama is a 3rd world liberation Idealist who supports the Jihadis.

2. sk
    2 | July 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Bob, I’m sorry to say that I think Bibi’s playing “good cop, bad cop” with Hussein as the bad cop. In fact, Jews have been prevented--by Bibi too--from living where they want in Jerusalem. They also do not have the religious rights of Muslims on the Temple Mount. There are already no-go areas for Jews in Jerusalem, according to some reports that I have read.

I expect that this feint goes hand in hand with Bibi’s moves to expel Jews from their homes in Yesha, which are continuing on course. Hussein is co-creating this subterfuge.

I’ve said here more than once that the only viable solution is two states for two people: one state for Israelis (Medinat Israel), one state for Jews (Medinat Yehudah).

3. Bob in Breckenridge
    3 | July 19, 2009 5:41 pm

re: #2 by sk

re: Your “two states” solution- I’m not sure what the difference is, I mean who are the “good” and “bad” guys…And what do each want? In your opinion, of course.

4. sk
    4 | July 19, 2009 6:48 pm

re: #3 by Bob in Breckenridge

Bob, I direct you to the linked web site for the development of this argument by someone more knowledgeable than I. But I will summarize my take.

Israelis want to have a Western-style country and see themselves first as Israelis, not as Jews. Jews, by contrast, want to have a Torah-oriented country and see themselves first as Jews. Peres (an Israeli, of course) was the first to use this distinction so baldly and to be quoted on it.

There’s no obvious way of keeping these different peoples in the same state without conflict. As the Left started Israel, its elites contrived a system that disadvantaged Jews in favor of Israelis. Hence, the despicable handling of the Sephardim who arrived in Israel after it was formed (the treatment of the Yemenite Jews in particular has been discussed by Kahane in several places). The Israeli elite have maintained a system that they can control, democracy be damned. They have also corrupted rabbis, especially Haredi rabbis, who spend their lives developing “Torah” that allows Jews to be expelled from a part of Eretz Israel and for Muslims to replace them.

As Jews tend to have more children, some of them have thought that time was on their side. This is because they hold the Israeli elite in contempt. The Israeli elite, however, are not stupid people. They know perfectly well about Jews using wombs (demographics) as a means of change, so as the Jews have gained in numbers, they have been handled ever more brutally. Muslims are perhaps the chief means nowadays that the elite use to keep the Jews in line.

Don’t get me wrong: if the Jews seized Israel, the results would be lousy as well, because the Jews have not governed a state since the Second Temple and the “rabbis” mostly don’t merit the title. Israeli fear of Jews is not without foundation.

So, the logic goes that since the Israelis desperately want to cut out all that is Jewish in Eretz Israel (e.g. Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria) and really just want the coastal areas, they should be encouraged in this direction. But take this land that they do not want and create a real Jewish state there. Once the Jews are no threat to the Israelis demographically, both will benefit. The Jews will expel the Muslims, something that the Israelis would like to do, were it not for their need of their Muslim allies, and were they not horrified at being thought “un-Western.”

This is highly condensed, of course, and I am but one advocate, and not an Orthodox Jew. I still think it’s the best idea for handling this land since it was gained in 1967.

5. wright1
    5 | July 19, 2009 6:55 pm

I for one hope that Netanyahu continues to play rope-a-dope with BHO and the rest of the Left leaning world. We hold our breath that he does not capitulate. I do not think he will. I have followed this man’s career and he is the real deal. No negotiating with terrorists and an appreciation for the vulnerability of the Israeli State. Thank goodness he is there while we are stuck with our feckless and socialist driven ideologue of a president….BTW -- to “NTL”, thank you for your link a ways back, very interesting.

6. jakee308
    6 | July 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Report by a Catalan newspaper says Zelaya had a computer containing voting results for the referendum that didn’t take place. (one can sense the touch of fat fingered El Puerco Chavez in this).

Obama and Acorn are taking notes.

7. no2liberals
    7 | July 19, 2009 7:31 pm

re: #5 by wright1
    I’m in a watch and learn mode on this thread, but must ask, which links?
    /soooo many

8. no2liberals
    8 | July 19, 2009 7:38 pm

re: #6 by jakee308
    Yep, I linked to that on the “We The People” thread.
    Babalu is all over it, and Humberto Fontoya was in the comment section. I like Humberto and his excellent work.

9. sk
    9 | July 19, 2009 7:38 pm

re: #5 by wright1

write1, I’d say that the Bibi/BHO interaction is much closer to professional wrestling than to boxing.

As you’ve watched Bibi’s career, I’m sure you can explain why he participated in the Wye negotiations, which certainly involved negotiation with terrorists, and signed off on it? Is he still “the real deal”?

I don’t doubt that Bibi is a much better PM than Honest Olmert in most ways. The fact is, though, that he has positioned himself (via the “Two State Solution”) to kick Jews out of their homes and bring in Muslim killers. I have seen the same thing happen time after time with other PMs; why do you think it will be any different this time?

10. 10 | July 19, 2009 7:51 pm

So, when President Bush had our military fight terrorists (who were trying to kill Americans) in two countries, that was ‘evil US imperialism’ (even though we didn’t gain any territories and let the UN run the fighting in Afghanistan)…..

…. but it is ok for Obama to tell Israel what to do on its own land in response to a struggle in which the United States is really not involved (except the amount that we involve ourselves via aid) . . ..

The hypocritical [censored]ness of the left is so amazing that they should all get aboard the same ship and get lost in the bermuda triangle.

11. wright1
  12. wright1
    12 | July 19, 2009 8:00 pm

re: #9 by sk

Fair point. But it is mostly posturing on his part -- he is a hawk and he believes in Israel’s sanctity of its borders. Do you percieve B.N. as soft on terrorism? That I do not see.

13. jakee308
    13 | July 19, 2009 8:04 pm

We all know a certain blogger uses this.

I wonder if he had copies and how he felt at having HIS stuff stolen right out from under his nose?

Ultimate irony; the books were Orwell’s 1984 and Animal Farm both works satirizing the LEFT and the tyranny of social engineering by elitists.

14. 14 | July 19, 2009 8:12 pm

re: #13 by jakee308

The Irony is that Orwell was a socialist.

15. no2liberals
    15 | July 19, 2009 8:13 pm

re: #11 by wright1
    HA!
    Yeah, that was the second installment in the SYM series.
    To drop the other shoe, we stayed in the courtroom from 9a.m., til 8p.m. By the time I got to bed, I had been awake for 96 hours, had all those things happen, butted heads with her attorney, and had a hard time getting to sleep.
    I could only have done that being a young and healthy young man.

16. sk
    16 | July 19, 2009 8:18 pm

re: #12 by wright1

wright1, why do you believe Bibi is mostly posturing? We have his actual record from his first term as PM, and I would think that this should be enough. Is Bibi more of a “hawk” than Sharon was before he expelled Jews from Gush Katif and Northern Shomron? Is Bibi more of a “hawk” than Begin was when he expelled Jews from Yamit and gave valuable land (Sinai) to Egypt for a piece of paper?

Look, Bibi is a smart man and seems to be very capable in terms of economic policy. He is also a great speaker, and relatively clean, certainly for an Israeli politician. There is also reason to believe that he will handle terrorism vastly better than Olmert, just as he did when, during Bibi I, which followed the Peres PMship. But he will not get to the root of the problem, which is that Bnei Amalek (Muslims) are squatting in Eretz Israel. I suggest above why the Israeli elite stratum needs the Muslims to play off against the Jews, but even if you don’t believe that, you present no evidence that Bibi will be pro-land-of-Israel this time around.

17. jakee308
    17 | July 19, 2009 8:37 pm

re: #14 by LanceKates

Emphasis on WAS. He wrote the books as warnings to his fellow socialists/communists about how things REALLY worked.

My journey to conservatism began when I was involved with some rabid leftists from Yale.

I came to realize that they didn’t have a problem with government interference and violation of people’s rights as much as THEY wanted to be in control. They didn’t take kindly to the “exchange of ideas and opinions” that took place between us after I realized this and soon made sure that I wasn’t invited to any more meetings.

18. 18 | July 19, 2009 8:43 pm

re: #17 by jakee308

liberals assume that when the government controls everything, it’ll all be done the way they want it (I.e., sunshine and lollipops and free money for all)

It never works that way, each time it is tried, yet they still follow in that vain belief.

then again, some people believed that what killed the ussr was ’70 years in a row of drought’

19. jakee308
    19 | July 19, 2009 8:43 pm

re: #15 by no2liberals

re: discrepancy on fuel load vs actual distance traveled.

You may have misjudged the ACTUAL flight distance and as you may know the Jet stream moves from west to east and can extend range. I know the feeling though, sometimes one can have TOO much information. It can lead to sleeplessness and needless anxiety.

(but hey the Air Force has it’s share of professionals don’t they?)

20. 20 | July 19, 2009 8:46 pm

re: #19 by jakee308

My father is a Marine. When he was in the service (he got out as Vietnam was starting), he stayed a an air force base for a few nights while they fired off some missiles.

Their CO looked at the barracks and how ‘lush’ they were and informed the men that they’ll be sleeping in pup tents down by an unused runway because “Marines shouldn’t sleep in such pansy* places.”

*Edited by me, he used a more “Marine Corp” friendly word.

21. wright1
    21 | July 19, 2009 8:48 pm

re: #16 by sk

I am going to have to beg off to look into your points. It appears you are intricately familiar with the situation on the ground in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank so I will defer for the moment. My sense of B.N. is bourne out of watching him closely for years making what appeared to be reasoned and cogent points that ran contrarian to other points of view calling for middle ground and appeasement…so let me leave it there. I appreciate the info and insight. Not sure I agree just yet but I will take a harder look…

22. jakee308
    22 | July 19, 2009 8:50 pm

re: #18 by LanceKates

what’s that definition of insanity? doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result?

that’s the definition of a leftist/liberal.

Obama is an educational example of that type of “magical thinking”. He ACTUALLY believes that because he’s President, if he says something it is/will be true. If he then says something contradictory, that also is true!

That is why I don’t believe in trying to reason with these folks anymore. Oh maybe somebody who’s new at it or just going along for whatever reason but the hardcore leftist? Forget it. We’ve treated them gently and respectfully for so long, they believe they have intelligent goals and we’re just “standing in the way”. Utopian dreams always lead to social engineering which has to be enforced by law and threat of force because human beings don’t take to being ordered about too well.

23. no2liberals
    23 | July 19, 2009 8:51 pm

re: #19 by jakee308
    We did fly at 41,000 feet, but used waaaaay too much fuel on take-off.

24. no2liberals
    24 | July 19, 2009 8:52 pm

re: #20 by LanceKates
    Hope they brought their own chow.
    They would have really had a cow if they had dined in our award winning chow halls.

25. jakee308
    25 | July 19, 2009 8:55 pm

re: #20 by LanceKates
    Techy types have to be treated with kid gloves. They don’t take too well to harsh environments or D.I.’s and that’s ok. I’ve known guys I wouldn’t trust with deciding what brand of tissue paper to buy or to carry out a “distasteful” order but they’re very knowledgeable about what can and cannot be done with the equipment at hand and that can be the difference between success and failure.

26. jakee308
    26 | July 19, 2009 9:03 pm

re: #24 by no2liberals

I’m not finding anything about your custody battle. If it’s not too personal, what happened?

27. no2liberals
    27 | July 19, 2009 9:05 pm

re: #25 by jakee308
    I was a military policeman, not a techie.
    I had to haul more than one marine off in handcuffs, as they couldn’t control themselves after being stuck with an amphibious unit on a ship for months.

28. jakee308
    28 | July 19, 2009 9:13 pm

I flew into clark once. No big deal; just another air base/transition point. The ride to Subic Bay? Had to buy new skivvies on arrival and that was in a government bus and driver! No way would I ever travel that route on civilian transport.

Don’t know if you ever took that trip but imagine every South/Central American stereotype about buses driving on gravel roads through the mountains (which have a basis in fact when you look up the accidents that happen on them) or movie scene of same with the driver swerving around pedestrians and slower traffic while all the while you can look out the window of the bus and LOOK DOWN into deep canyons or the tops of Tall trees.

It ain’t the fall that hurts, it’s the sudden stop at the end.

29. jakee308
    29 | July 19, 2009 9:19 pm

re: #27 by no2liberals

Well, I was referring to the amenities (the pansy places Lance Kates was referring to) available on Air Force facilities. IMO Air Force types are more intelligent in my experience. Higher IQ and level of mechanical competence. Plus they have fixed facilities so it’s easier to build in the extras. There’s Navy facilities that are the same mostly training schools and such.

I’m guessing even you were more polite to the Jarheads than any Navy Shore Patrol would’ve been. (the squids like to get in their licks when they can)

30. no2liberals
    30 | July 19, 2009 9:23 pm

re: #28 by jakee308
    Made the trip to Subic many times. Once in an M-151, once in an eighteen wheeler milk truck, and another time on a motorcycle while a typhoon was blowing in.
    The real blast of a ride, was on the road to Baguio, way up in the mountains.
    Pucker factor was off the meter.

New thread is up, and I’m off to bed.

31. no2liberals
    31 | July 19, 2009 9:31 pm

re: #29 by jakee308
    I was always respectful to the leather necks, as I was about two seconds from enlisting, when a drunk burst into the recruiter’s office, wanting back in, and a huge fight broke out.
    Our SOP at Town Patrol was one order, no negotiations. With marines, I would give them a little more time to consider their options, if I instructed them to accompany me outside. By being respectful, I seldom had any problems.
    One marine, though, was a total effup.
    He was without a doubt the smallest marine I had ever seen, and whatever the height and weight limits are, he met them by microns and grains.
    When he challenged me in a club, when I wasn’t even talking to G.I.s in uniform, only those in civvies, that might have been on the list of those who failed to show for drug testing, I gave him two chances to sit down with his friends.
    The three marines with him, all in Class A uniforms, made no move to come to his aid, and I whacked him across the inside of his exposed left knee, cuffed him, and drug him outside.
    When the CPO and another sailor arrived from Subic, after driving that road you mentioned in the dark, through NPA territory, during curfew, they were not pleased.
    The chief assured me the young corporal’s shore leave was canceled, and that they would have the shiniest latrines, and the shiniest floors, of any brig in the entire 7th fleet.

/im out

32. 32 | July 20, 2009 10:01 am

This is wonderful news. I hope Bibi stays this Bibi and not the Bibi he usually ends up as.

He needs to take care of this problem as well however: Hamas Buying Tracts of Homes in Jerusalem

33. 33 | July 20, 2009 10:04 am

re: #16 by sk

Jews to Reclaim Land in Jordan?

34. sk
    34 | July 20, 2009 5:24 pm

re: #33 by WrathofG-d

Actually, I like this move very much as a piece of rhetoric, unless of course they devote much money to it. If the issue of borders goes to negotiations, it makes sense to press claims that expand Israel’s current borders, thus suggesting that Muslims could actually LOSE land.

It’s sort of like when I used to teach and a student came in about a grade. I made clear that no set of grades is ever perfect, though one does expect the grading to be correct on average. Therefore, I always was willing to review the grade, with the understanding that it could go down.

35. 35 | July 20, 2009 5:29 pm

re: #34 by sk

yes, what is good for the Arab goose should also be good for the Jewish gander. It is about time that we made the Arabs live and die on their own claims and arguments. They have been used as a one-way-street for too long. (ie: claiming that they have a right of return (to a place they aren’t even from) but denying this same right to the Jews forced out of Muslim countries, or the no Jews policy in Judea/Samaria/Gaza, but Arabs can live anywhere they want-even in pre 1967 Israel)