Conservative Kiosk Shut Down at Concord, N.C. Mall

by Bob in Breckenridge ( 27 Comments › )
Filed under Barack Obama, Democratic Party, Free Speech, Politics at July 22nd, 2009 - 10:54 am

This is nothing new to most of us since we already know the only free speech the libs like is when it parrots their socialist positions.

CONCORD, N.C. — “Impeach Obama.”

“Al Qaeda’s favorite days: 9/11/01 and 11/04/08.”

“Work Harder. Obama needs the money.”

The bumper stickers and posters sold at “Free Market Warrior” at Concord Mills are meant to be “biting,” the kiosk’s owner Loren Spivack said.

At least one passerby found them racist and bigoted, and took time to tell the mall in a letter and a letter to the editor of the Charlotte Observer.

Whatever your opinion, the fact is this:  At the end of July, Free Market Warrior will not be allowed at Concord Mills Mall. The kiosk chain’s owner shared e-mail correspondence with NewsChannel 36 that explains that the mall management has decided that the items sold are not “neutral” enough. The lease will be allowed to expire July 31, 2009 without an option to renew.

Spivack, who first leased the space this spring, says the decision came as a shock to him. He says mall management seemed pleased with the kiosk just a few weeks ago.

“Nobody in that mall is selling anything from a conservative perspective. Plenty of people are selling things with a liberal perspective, with a pro-Obama perspective,” he said. “Given that we are in America and not North Korea, we probably should have some stuff on the other side.”

Spivack says he is careful not to sell things that personally attack a politician and wants a fair exchange of ideas. “The material that I sell is about politics and ideas,” he told Newschannel 36. “It’s all legitimate criticism.”

Concord Mills, owned by Simon Property Group, would not comment for this story, cited a policy against talking about tenant and landlord situations.

“I find it appalling that Concord Mills, North Carolina’s #1 visitor attraction, would condone such a message to be portrayed by their vendors and can’t imagine how the outside visitors’ perceptions of North Carolinians have been skewed by such an establishment.

“It’s hard to stay open-minded when such uncivilized and outdated ideas are endorsed on a daily basis. It’s 2009; please, let’s at least try to put this type of bigotry to an end.”

Ibanez told NewsChannel 36 she was so offended, she wrote the mall as well. She says a friend of hers also wrote in. Both threatened not to return to Concord Mills.

The owner of the mall group, Mel Simon, has been a generous contributor to Democratic causes and politicians, including Barack Obama. Spivack thinks the decision about his lease is political.

Read the rest here

Tags: ,

Comments

27 Responses to “Conservative Kiosk Shut Down at Concord, N.C. Mall”

1. vagabond trader
    1 | July 22, 2009 11:06 am

I see no examples of the pro slavery and racist products this guy sells.Anyone? What,Hussein supporters can’t take the heat of mild criticism, have to pick on small time entrepeneurs? Pretty sensitive little flowers aren’t they?

2 | July 22, 2009 11:17 am

Simon’s contact address.

I’d say boycott them, and I will for a bit, but they own a whole freakin’ lot of places around here.

3. jakee308
    3 | July 22, 2009 11:20 am

Jennifer Ibanez’s Info at Linkedln. She’s got a Facebook page but I don’t belong so can’t access. Anyone with an account want to take a look and see if there’s anything interesting?

Note how this liberal Bachelor of Arts grad has been employed since 2005. I’m guessing her grades weren’t all that hot and/or she’s involved with “community activists”.

So 2 people complain and the guy loses his store but we’ve got murderers, rapists and Ku Klux Klan members in the Senate but nothing happens to them.

4. vagabond trader
    4 | July 22, 2009 11:29 am

re: #3 by jakee308

Amazing what a swell college education gets you these days. Conflict resolution is libspeak for amateur psychotherapist/lawyer/community organizer.

5 | July 22, 2009 11:32 am

re: #4 by vagabond trader

I learned conflict resolution playing ice hockey.

6. 6 | July 22, 2009 11:33 am

Jennifer Ibanez is just another liberal stormtrooper, bound and determined not to allow in public any opinion not approved by her and the Nazi left.

7. 7 | July 22, 2009 11:40 am

re: #6 by Foghorn Leghorn

The Liberal 1st Amendment: I’m offended, so in the name of free speech BAN IT!

8. vagabond trader
    8 | July 22, 2009 11:43 am

re: #5 by Bumr50

Best kind, character building.

9 | July 22, 2009 11:45 am

By “bigotry”, I’m sure she’s insinuating “racism.”

Because it’s racist to dislike a black man, no matter what, at least in her mind.

Unless he’s conservative.

Then he’s not really “black.”

10. 10 | July 22, 2009 11:50 am

What is racist about suggesting that terrorists support obama?

There is no race mentioned at any point and there is no suggestion that the terrorists favor obama because he is black…. they favor him because he is a communist thug, which means that they share a common enemy: us.

11. 11 | July 22, 2009 11:56 am

re: #10 by LanceKates

Out here in Los Angeles, it was common to see “Bush is a Nazi”, “Bush and his old white friends are stealing from brown people” and the like bumper stickers, etc.

Where was this sensitive liberal then? -Probably buying a bumper sticker.

12. jakee308
    12 | July 22, 2009 11:58 am

Gotta love the South Koreans.

They think representative government is a contact sport.

I wish OUR representatives had the same heart.

13. 13 | July 22, 2009 12:00 pm

re: #10 by LanceKates

Exactly.

14. jakee308
    14 | July 22, 2009 12:05 pm

Beware of Upgrades bearing gifts.

I ALWAYS research any upgrades. (Even so I could’ve gotten fooled by this as it was the teleco provider in UAE that was involved directly).

I NEVER have auto updates activated.

Check out the security options for your telephone/pda and activate any wireless security options ( I know they’re a pain but worse pain is I.D. theft. With certain sync ups and link up protocols, your LIFE (as in livelihood/lifestyle) can be at risk walking down the street with your telephone/pda on standby.

15. 15 | July 22, 2009 12:06 pm

re: #11 by WrathofG-d

Yeah. The left defines hypocracy.

I see it at work. it is verboten to discuss politics at work. yet people wear Obama tshirts, have obama calenders, and the television is perma-set to cnn.

So, we can take in ONE side, but we can’t DISCUSS!

(I mean, some liberal may get offended….)

btw, I’m mostly finished with a good book. Politically Incorrect GUide to the South (And why it will rise again)

GREAT book and it finally tells the story of this nation in a way not filtered by the pro-federal government ‘yankees’

16. jakee308
    16 | July 22, 2009 12:12 pm

re: #15 by LanceKates

That’s “Damn Yankees”.

17. 17 | July 22, 2009 12:14 pm

re: #16 by jakee308

you know, in the book itself, it discusses that by quoting….. someone (can’t remember who and the book isn’t in this room)

says that in england, ‘yankee’ means american. In New England, ‘yankee’ means someone from MA. In the midwest, ‘yankee’ means New Englander. In the south, ‘yankee’ doesn’t exist, look under “DAMYANKEE”

18 | July 22, 2009 12:16 pm

OT- Don’t look now but I think I just saw Fox’s crawl say something about Pelosi wanting to cancel August recess in order to “hammer out” the health care scam. She estimates 70% of Americans would want them to do that. Because, you know, we’re all so dissatisfied.

And way to pull a number out of the air.

19. vagabond trader
    19 | July 22, 2009 12:18 pm

re: #18 by Bumr50

Fuggers are also afraid of going home and getting what for from their constituents. Wonder if Hussein will lock them into the Capitol.

20. 20 | July 22, 2009 12:22 pm

re: #15 by LanceKates

I experience that practically everyday, so I know what you are stating.

Living in LA, if you are a Democrat/Liberal/Communist/”Progressive” you can discuss whatever you want about politics, religion, etc., but when I dare explain my point of view I get told I am being “difficult”, “disruptive”, argumentative, or pushing religion, and the conversation gets ended abruptly.

This was even more so when Bush was president. If you hated him you could practically state whatever you wanted wherever you wanted. However, one wouldn’t dare state that you voted for Bush, or supported him, as that would ensure your dismissal from wherever you were.

I often ask my Conservative friends here why they didn’t respond to X or Y, when that individual was staying such about Obama, or Bush, or “Conservatives” etc. Their answers, although true, and understandable, are pathetic in “free minded” California -- they are afraid it will negatively affect their jobs, friends, etc.

It reminds me of this Ad the Berkelely Hillel ran in February. They showed a picture of a Orthodox Religious couple with the text “Does this picture scare you? It scares us” under it. Thus, the “open minded”, “don’t judge alternative lifestyles”, etc., “liberals” from Cal will accept the “alternative lifestyle” of Homosexuality, Bi-Sexuality, Transgenders, Bestiality, etc, but NOT Traditional Religious Marriage.

Hypocrites.

21. 21 | July 22, 2009 12:22 pm

re: #18 by Bumr50

why would 70% of us want to give up our private insurance and get rationed crappy care so that an estimated 2% of the population can get the same rationed crappy care?

Seriously, sometimes I am tempted to just quit my job and just become one of the welfare-dependent folks who just sit around and make babies to soak up more and more government money…….

…. except that I have ethics (namely, work and moral)….. I am going to suffer, my entire life, so that others can NOT achieve and get money from the government.

If they were to come to me directly to steal the money, they go to prison for theft…. if the government steals it from me to give to them, it is called welfare.

22. 22 | July 22, 2009 12:27 pm

re: #20 by WrathofG-d

There is an old saying “In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.”

THey are the blind, and we can see. However, so many are blind that we are seen as the problem for disturbing their tranquil yet rabid hatred with logical though and differing perspectives.

Some of us talk about another revolution to turn us away from socialism….. but I don’t know. It seems most are either supporting it or apathetic to it.

I work with some folks who cheer it on, out of an outright hatred of the rich. They accept that the level of healthcare will go down and that the economy will be crushed and that we will be oppressed, but they’re ok with that as long as the rich ‘get theirs too’

23. 23 | July 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Public money goes to fund a cross soaked in urine as ‘art’ and customer service reps are instructed to never say “Merry Christmas” . . . but christianity isn’t under attack in the United States.

The Constitution is ignored when Congress makes laws to steal more money from the taxpayers to provide some chump change to a few key dependent voters in order to consolidate power…. but socialism isn’t creeping into the United States.

A conservative kiosk is kicked out of a mall where liberal ones can stay, being told that the conservative one is ‘racist and bigoted’ . . . but there is freedom of ideas in the liberal camp in the United States.

Where is this “United States” that I keep hearing about, where christians aren’t discriminaed against, socialism is kept away and there is freedom to be different? All I see is radical and hate-filled liberals screwing up what was a good country.

24. mjazz
    24 | July 22, 2009 10:00 pm

re: #9 by Bumr50

Michael Jackson was black, though.

25. OldDog
    25 | July 22, 2009 10:03 pm

Reason 1001 why I am so glad I left NC while the getting was good.

I was born a few miles away from Concord Mill, thats why my old tired ass is in AZ!

26. m
    26 | July 23, 2009 7:32 am

Friggen transplants…

27. 27 | July 26, 2009 4:56 pm

[...] Bob in Breckenridge wrote an interesting post today on» Conservative Kiosk Shut Down at Concord, N.C. Mall >> 2.0 <b>…</b>Here’s a quick excerpt [...]