Washington Post Poll: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals In U.S.

by Bob in Breckenridge ( 79 Comments › )
Filed under Politics, Polls at July 27th, 2009 - 10:38 am

I’m certain this will be reported on the three national newscasts, PBS, MSNBC, and CNN.

To me, the one thing poll shows is that a lot of people claiming to be conservative must have either stayed home and didn’t vote, or voted only for their state and local elections and not for President, or voted for The Zero™. I did read last week that less people voted in 2008 than in 2004.

(CNSNews.com) – Americans who consider themselves conservatives now outnumber Americans who consider themselves liberal by almost two to one, according to a new poll by the Washington Post and ABC News.

In the poll of 1,001 adults conducted between July 15-18, respondents were asked: “Would you say your views on most political matters are liberal, moderate, or conservative?”

Thirty-eight percent said they were conservative, while only 20% said they were liberal. Thirty-nine percent, meanwhile, said they were moderate.

The percentage of self-described conservatives has increased since President Barack Obama was inaugurated in January and the percentage of self-described liberals has diminished. A Washington Post poll conducted in mid-January, shortly before the inauguration, showed 32% saying they were conservative, 24% saying they were liberal and 42% saying they were moderates.

Click here to read “the rest of the story”

Comments

79 Responses to “Washington Post Poll: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals In U.S.”

1. vagabond trader
    1 | July 27, 2009 10:43 am

Bob, I hope this is so but remember, people also believed that Hussein was a moderate.Not to nitpick, I’d be curious to know what the terms conservative and liberal means to each respondent because zero sure in hell was never a moderate by my definition.

2. m
    2 | July 27, 2009 10:50 am

So when will conservatives learn from the Daily Kos libs’ playbook, and coalesce around one primary winner rather than continue to spread themselves thin (and thus ineffective)? When will we work together rather than once again hand unprincipled Republicans undeserved nominations and those weakened, vulnerable Democrats another democracy-robbing, tax-hiking, budget-busting statewide term?

It’s time we conservatives got serious about winning. The leftists certainly are.

3. vagabond trader
    3 | July 27, 2009 10:58 am

Hell, I’ll vote for a conservative Democrat at this point!

4. m
    4 | July 27, 2009 11:02 am

Pelosi unpopular? ‘I don’t care’

5 | July 27, 2009 11:18 am

re: #2 by m

My response to nitpickers and 100% ideological purists is “Let’s play to win next time, there is no glory in defeat” No more McCain’s!!!!

Morocco challenges Mideast Holocaust mind-set

6. 6 | July 27, 2009 11:28 am

re: #2 by m

my response is that we’ll do that when the rnc stops running pro-gun-control and pro-big-government liberals.

7. 7 | July 27, 2009 11:30 am

re: #5 by Speranza

there is also no glory in sacrificing all principle for the sake of a win…. because you don’t REALLY win.

8. 8 | July 27, 2009 12:09 pm

Look, all those who refused to vote for McCain… you were presented with a choice last November and you refused to choose. To not choose was ridiculous when you could see that the other choice, Obama, would be far worse for this country. Sometimes, you really DO have to choose the lesser of two evils because you don’t live in a perfect world where you get perfect choices. Candidates are human beings with all the same flaws that you have and they make the same mistakes that you make.

Some people who refused to choose actually justified their choice by saying… well, this will be good because two years later the pendulum will swing back in the right direction. You had no way of knowing that and, even though it seems that it might happen, you still don’t know for sure that it will. A weak, terrorist appeasing President can never be considrered good for this country. That justification doesn’t wash. It’s too big a risk to bet my country and my freedoms on.

9. m
    9 | July 27, 2009 12:24 pm

re: #8 by Kirly

And now you have people like the king of the loozards claiming the loss was because the tent was not big enough, instead of the pick was not conservative enough.

That’s not anywhere near the message that was trying to be sent.

10 | July 27, 2009 12:26 pm

re: #7 by LanceKates

I agree and I disagree. I play to win, not lose. When a Republican is in he is gong to have pressure from the base unless he is a member of the GOP establishment like the Bush family. No more fucking McCain’s!!

understand?

The principles can be shoved up the purists ass -- I would rather have a guy who wins with whom I agree with 65% of the time then lose with a guy whom I agree with 90% of the time.
    I would rather win with a Mitt Romney then lose with a Duncan Hunter.

William Buckley said that the goal should be to nominate the most electable conservative not the most ideologically pure conservative. The Great One was right (as he usually was).

11 | July 27, 2009 12:35 pm

re: #9 by m

Yeah that John McCain sure was a rigid, doctrinaire, conservative who never put his thumb in the Republican Party’s eye. All his buddies in the Senate outisde of his mistress -- Miss Lindsey Graham -- were Democrats.

12 | July 27, 2009 12:38 pm

re: #8 by Kirly

To all of you alleged conservatives who sat on your purity and refused to vote -- enjoy the Obamanation you jerks! You helped put into office a Marxist you dumb asses!!

13. 13 | July 27, 2009 12:46 pm

re: #12 by Speranza

I voted. I voted against Obama.

14 | July 27, 2009 12:46 pm

re: #2 by m

There is no honor in losing!

15 | July 27, 2009 12:48 pm

re: #13 by Kirly

Me too. Unfortunately the choices were either Obama or not Obama. The GOP gave us an old fart establishment candidate who came up to bat with the count already 0 balls and 1 strike. First was the opprobrium that the Bush administration had received by the leftist media and the cultural elite, secondly was McCain’s refusal to fight to win (not mentioning Wright for example). It is amazing that he came as close as he did.

16. 16 | July 27, 2009 12:53 pm

re: #15 by Speranza

That is true. But that’s where the “lesser” of the evil needs to be chosen.

Also, I should have added this to my first post… those who refused to vote / choose, you have no credibility with me (for what that is worth).

17 | July 27, 2009 12:58 pm

re: #16 by Kirly

You are a smart gal. For all his faults I cannot imagine John McCain sitting thourgh an Ortega anti American rant or fist bumping with Chavez, or sending $925 million to Gaza, or giving an iPod of his speeches to Queen Elizabeth, or apologizing for America every time he opens his mouth.

If you sat on your hands and refused to vote therefore enabling an Obama victory (and you know who you are) -- “Bleep you!”

18. 18 | July 27, 2009 1:01 pm

re: #17 by Speranza

Right back atcha! and i agree. While McCain would not have been perfect (far from it), he would NEVER have been as bad as Obama.

This is odd. Every time I click the Reply button, I get momentarily thrown into the comment box with the auto-reference, then to the top of the page. When i then go back down to the comment box, the auto-ref is gone. I click the reply button again and all is normal. weird.

19. 19 | July 27, 2009 1:04 pm

IIRC, there was some study on voting patterns earlier this year that showed that older and white voters both stayed away from the polls, which cut into McCain’s numbers.

20. m
    20 | July 27, 2009 1:06 pm

re: #18 by Kirly

It’s a glitch in IE. Gclaghorn is trying to get a fix in.

21. 21 | July 27, 2009 1:08 pm

re: #20 by m

thx m. and thx in advance to gclaghorn who is awesome! :-)

22. 22 | July 27, 2009 1:17 pm

re: #19 by tqcincinnatus

That’s weird. I thought all the geezers loved the McCain! They do in his homestate.

23 | July 27, 2009 1:38 pm

re: #21 by Kirly

I rarely use IE, I much prefer Firefox.

24 | July 27, 2009 1:39 pm

re: #20 by m

I thought that you and gclaghorn are the same person. lol!

25. 25 | July 27, 2009 1:44 pm

re: #8 by Kirly

no, they just didn’t vote for mccain or obama. there are other parties. It is a cycle… no one votes whig anymore.

26. 26 | July 27, 2009 1:47 pm

re: #10 by Speranza

yeah, but the rnc pushing liberals doesn’t open the door for conservatives. watch in 2012, the rnc will push a dinosaur ‘moderate’…. remember dole?

27 | July 27, 2009 1:47 pm

re: #9 by m

And according to the All Wise and All Knowing One -- The Great Sahib, the GOP is bound to lose in 2012 if they nominate “gasp” -- a creationist (hide the children)! Yeah that issue really is the issue for Americans in terms of importance. /not

28. 28 | July 27, 2009 1:49 pm

re: #12 by Speranza

Yup, that is who the rnc wants you to blame, to take the pressure off of them.

29. 29 | July 27, 2009 1:51 pm

re: #14 by Speranza

yes there is. Certainly more honor than giving up all principles just to try and be on thee winning side.

30 | July 27, 2009 1:51 pm

re: #26 by LanceKates

Dole sucked. He got nominated because the GOP Establishment contrary to the MSM’s take, is made up of Country Club Republicans who would rather lose if it meant that they could get invited to all the best parties in Georgetown. GOP primary voters -- the dumbest voters in America -- vote for the most recognizable Republican name. By the way Nixon was no conservative either.

31. 31 | July 27, 2009 1:53 pm

re: #17 by Speranza

you realize McCain accepted an award from the anti-american, racist, group la raza…

32 | July 27, 2009 1:53 pm

re: #29 by LanceKates

Enjoy your principles while the country goes down the toilet into the sewage plant. Sit home and be content that you have principles. F*** that (in my opinion) -- I want to win!!!!!!

33 | July 27, 2009 1:55 pm

re: #31 by LanceKates

Yes and his mistress Miss Lindsey Graham gave an obnoxious speech there too. (It is hard to get anything past me). I am not a McCain(aka The Cranky Old Flatulent) supporter but I will take him any day (the same with Hillary) over President Obama.

34. 34 | July 27, 2009 1:56 pm

re: #25 by LanceKates

and look what we got for it. Obama.

35. 35 | July 27, 2009 1:56 pm

couch it however you want, justify it however you wish… when you sacrifice principle for a ‘win’ … you don’t win, even if you ‘win’

36 | July 27, 2009 2:02 pm

re: #35 by LanceKates

Your principles (I am assuming you did not vote, but if you did vote for McCain then you made my point for me) gave us Barack Hussein Obama. Enjoy!

37 | July 27, 2009 2:18 pm

re: #28 by LanceKates
    Yup, that is who the rnc wants you to blame, to take the pressure off of them
    I blame any ass who did not vote for McCain for being responsible for Obama’s victory -- damn right. Enjoy the next 3 1/2 to 8 years. As a matter of fact if one did not vote for McCain then your complaints abut Obama rings hollow -- Kirly is right.

38. 38 | July 27, 2009 4:58 pm

re: #32 by Speranza

I don’t sit home, I just don’t vote for liberals, regardless of party.

39. 39 | July 27, 2009 5:00 pm

re: #34 by Kirly

yes, too bad the rnc is not held to task for being conservative. easier to blame me.

40. 40 | July 27, 2009 5:02 pm

re: #36 by Speranza

no, your lack of principles gave us a rnc too liberal to support. You gave us obama by letting the rnc slip to the left.

you.

41. 41 | July 27, 2009 5:23 pm

re: #37 by Speranza

so unless I vote like you, I’m the pproblem. If the rnc gets spector back, and they run the guy, I am the problem?

where do you draw the line? will you take on ‘anybody but…’ which worked sooooooo well for the dems in 04?

42 | July 27, 2009 6:07 pm

re: #41 by LanceKates

Lance
    1. Who did you vote for for POTUS? Obviously you do not have to answer but I am curious.
    2. You should vote for the best candidate available. There is not a perfect candidate out there
    3. Thank Mike Huckabee not the RNC for McCain.
    4. Anyone who sat on their hands and did not vote or voted for Obama has morally lost all right to complain about him (in my opinion).
    5. I was pissed off at McCain for many reasons yet I not only voted for him but sent him $50. Country first!!!!
    6. If you did not vote McCain then you made a mistake and you know it and Barack Obama and Howard Dean and The DNC thanks you for your neutrality because it was a de facto vote for Obama..
    7. Even Charles Johnson allegedly did the right thing (probably for the last time in his life) and voted for McCain and not Obama .

43 | July 27, 2009 6:14 pm

re: #40 by LanceKates

No you gave us an Obama by staying home. I supported both Romney and Giuliani -- both of which would have been infinitely superior to John Sidney McCain.

44 | July 27, 2009 6:16 pm

re: #38 by LanceKates

I don’t sit home, I just don’t vote for liberals, regardless of party.
    You did not vote for McCain so you helped elect a Marxist. A bad trade. I keep telling my friends who complain about Obama “Hey at least I did not vote for the son of a bitch and did all that I could to prevent his ascendancy to the White House.” What can you say Lance?

45. 45 | July 27, 2009 6:23 pm

re: #42 by Speranza

1 Ready? McCain. I still stand up for those who didn’t because they are right. If I could vote again, I’d have voted for the third party guy. the one on my ballot is a conservative,

2 there is no perfect candidate, but that isn’t justification for liberalism.

3. nope. I blame compromisers. we could haave had 2 conservatives, instead of a liberal McCain.

4.I agree, but not voting mccain is not the same as not voting, unless one is dishonest.

5.the country is not the rnc and a liberal rnc is as dangerous as a liberal dnc, just slower..

7. no, you make the mistake by believing that win at any costs is good for the country.

8. he also acts like a facist and rejects any opposing views… you sure you want to keep emulating him? besides, I am conservative, I would be eorried if he and I voted alike.

46 | July 27, 2009 6:42 pm

re: #45 by LanceKates

You can parse words and shift their meanings all you want and act like a Philadelphia lawyer but the fact of the matter is is that there was a Marxist on a major party ticket and you went for ideological purity and did not vote so in essence you did vote for Obama and against John McCain who for whatever his faults is a great patriot. Personally, I could not live with myself if I had done that. You knew Obama was going to be a total disaster both economically and on defense yet you chose ideological principles. Well that was your choice and you will have to live with the consequences, I put what I felt was the country’s interests first. I would much rather have McCain defending this country then Obama apologizing for it. But hey that’s just me.

47 | July 27, 2009 6:50 pm

Three threads today on Little Green Footballs dealing with the birth certificate issue. That guy beats a topic to death!

48 | July 27, 2009 7:00 pm

re: #41 by LanceKates

so unless I vote like you, I’m the pproblem.
    Yes if you do not vote for a guy who has a chance to defeat a Socialist/Marxist America hating radical you are part of the problem. Look I do not want to berate you as I know you are a nice guy but you made a whopper of a mistake last November.

49. 49 | July 27, 2009 7:04 pm

re: #43 by Speranza

yeah, pro gun control Rudy……. yeah…

50. 50 | July 27, 2009 7:26 pm

nope. supporting a liberal is always bad for our nation. having the right letter after their name doesn’t make it ok to vote liberal.

think about america, not just the rnc.

of course, you think that a pro amnesty gun control nut who sues gun makers for crime is ‘good’ for america.

51 | July 27, 2009 7:32 pm

re: #49 by LanceKates

The law and order mayor. The guy who made NYC actually livable again. You do not know what the hell you are talking about, and stop talking out of your hat. I actually lived in NYC for a good part of Rudy’s mayoralty until I relocated to Florida. Don’t you dare speak disparagingly of his record as mayor.

52 | July 27, 2009 7:35 pm

re: #50 by LanceKates

You __ I think that stopping Obama from destroying this country is good. Your ideological purity is going to enable him to do just that. You knew exactly what he is all about yet ideology trumps all. Obama thanks you. There is not a single person on this blog who thinks that you did the right thing by sitting on your “principles” I hope you enjoy Obama because at least I can say that I voted against him. You had a choice between a neo Marxist and a great but flawed patriot and you passed on it. Good work!

53. bar
    53 | July 27, 2009 8:42 pm

re: #52 by Speranza
    Sorry to butt in.
    But I am pretty sure Lance said he voted for McCain.

54. 54 | July 27, 2009 9:07 pm

re: #51 by Speranza

I don’t know what I”m talking about. I must not, I”m not from nyc, eh?

Previous mayors introduced radical anti-gun measures that GUARENTEED that citizens were unarmed. Crime skyrocketed.

Rudy came in and, instead of undoing those anti-gun measures to allow the citizen to defend themselves as the Constitution allows, he turned nyc into a near-police state, with cops on every corner instead of armed citizens.

Then, to show how much he loved freedom and firearms, he launched a lawsuit against gun makers for crimes committed with their guns.

To you, taking away constitutionally protected rights and raising spending to pay for a radical increase in policemen (After all, citizens can’t be trusted with guns, only the government…) and trying to hold gun makers responsible for crime instead of CRIMINALS….. to you that is ‘Conservative’ . . . and I”m just being mean.

I suggest that YOU are the one that doesn’t know what the hell YOU are talking about. You’ve been raised in such a radically leftist society, full of right-trampling scumbags that you have no clue what freedom is and have NO problem sacrificing freedom for the sake of false security.

55. dclarke
    55 | July 27, 2009 9:19 pm

re: #51 by Speranza

Don’t you dare speak disparagingly of his record as mayor.

Speranza,
    Aside from the fact the I would also agree that Lance seems to have answered that he voted for McCain in comment #45, (and bar is free to comment as is anyone else) what makes you feel that you can dictate to Lance or any other poster here what they say.

Isn’t an open discussion better for everyone rather than shutting down an opposing viewpoints? How would you react to someone asking you to halt your condemnations of Obama?

56. 56 | July 27, 2009 9:19 pm

re: #52 by Speranza

I think that stopping Obama from destroying this country is good

And a left-leaning RNC is not going to do that. They’re going to go along with his policies in hopes that they’ll one day get power back and then THEY will be in control of a bloated federal government.

Name the ways that the federal government shrunk under Republican rule since the mid 1990′s when they retook Congress….. Good luck with that.

Your ideological purity is going to enable him to do just that.

No, Conservativism is what is going to stop him, yet you do all you can to shout down conservativism anytime you can, all in the sake of YOUR ideological Purity which is “Only the letter after their name matters. Sacrifice all for the good of the R!”

When you only concentrate on the people you want to defeat, and stop paying attention to your allies, you end up being surrounded by a bunch of scumbags.

I didn’t know that you intimately knew the minds and hearts of each person on this blog. Must be nice to be the Almighty.

Frankly, even if you ARE correct (and you are not), I don’t care. Principle is Principle whether it is popular or not. Otherwise you are lukewarm and only fit to be spit out.

I hope you enjoy Obama because at least I can say that I voted against him.

I didn’t vote for Obama either, you sanctified prick. Drop your ‘holier than thou’ attitude you self-righteous piece of bloated gutter trash, the only purpose it serves is to reinforce your justification that it is ok to have no principles just so long as you win, despite what things like Character, Morality and Right mean.

No, I didn’t have a choice of a great but flawed patriot. I had a choice between a Marxist and a liberal and tainted member of the Washington Elite who only looked quasi-conservative when compared to the marxist or Rudy. The great but flawed patriot would be Duncan Hunter. McCain is an amnesty supporting, gun control supporting liberal who’s only fire in the entire 2008 election was to say that the NC GOP was “out of touch with reality” for wanting to mention that Obama having Wright as a spiritual mentor for 20 years was proof of bad character.

To YOU and your liberal leaning mentality that wants to force out all conservatives for the sake of getting mush-brained entitlement-minded scumbags to vote republican (by making them the party OF the mush-brained entitlement-minded scumbag), I say Good Work…. your plan is working.

Too bad my country suffers. Then again, it is the United States of America, not the Republican Party of Rudy, so I imagine you don’t care.

57. 57 | July 27, 2009 9:21 pm

re: #55 by dclarke

Doesn’t matter. Conservatives have been attacked by the RNC since the 04 election ended.

And the results in 2006 and 2008 haven’t phazed them. After all, Why hold the rnc responsible for the people it picks if it is easier (and more politically popular) to blame conservatives.

I mean…. msnbc does it, so why not the rnc?

58. dclarke
    58 | July 27, 2009 9:44 pm

re: #57 by LanceKates

Why hold the RNC responsible for the people they pick? They answer is right there. They have picked them. It is as simple as that.

I don’t care what msnbc or anyone else does, the rnc needs to be held to account for their decisions. The fact that conservatives have been attacked since 04 does matter and should be acknowledged in order for the party to move forward with the understanding that mistakes have been made but with some trust in the rnc that it will not happen again. At least in the short term, no-one can predict future events though…

59. 59 | July 27, 2009 9:47 pm

re: #58 by dclarke

You and I agree. But the others (Speranza included) don’t see it that way. They’re content to blame anyone who wants a conservative.

They flaunt their desire to sacrifice every and any principle as a virtue and the Conservative’s desire to maintain principle and character as a vice.

60. Bob in Breckenridge
    60 | July 27, 2009 10:12 pm

Too bad my threads are always ignored and no one comments.

I have NEVER edited anyone else’s threads. Maybe the people who edit my stuff w/o MY permission might want to take a look at whose threads get the most response.

The whole world does not revolve around Israel and the Jews, even if you think it does.

61. 61 | July 27, 2009 10:16 pm

re: #60 by Bob in Breckenridge

I think the issue with the editing of the threads has been to put in the source material so we don’t get hit with copyright suits.

At least, those have been the edits I’ve seen.

62. Bob in Breckenridge
    62 | July 27, 2009 10:40 pm

re: #61 by LanceKates

Wrong. This has nothing to do with what you thought. The person I’m specifically targeting knows who they are, I think. But if they don’t, they do now! I’m just saying DO NOT EDIT MY THREADS!

63. dclarke
    63 | July 27, 2009 10:46 pm

re: #62 by Bob in Breckenridge

If you are targeting a specific admin then contact them privately. This seems childish.

64. Bob in Breckenridge
    64 | July 27, 2009 10:59 pm

re: #63 by dclarke

Honestly, I don’t know who you are and don’t give a rat’s ass what you think. If I could contact them privately, don’t you think I would, genius?

65. dclarke
    65 | July 27, 2009 11:33 pm

re: #64 by Bob in Breckenridge

Fair enough Bob. As someone who makes regular posts here I would expect you to be able to contact those who edit your posts but I stand corrected.

If your issue was with something that had been said here than I would not have a problem with what you are saying. However, you are talking about the behind the scenes actions of an admin and I find your phrasing and use of bolding to be unnecessary.

You may not ‘give a rat’s ass’ what I think but there it is anyway. I hope this issue of edited posts gets resolved for you.

66. Bob in Breckenridge
    66 | July 27, 2009 11:50 pm

re: #65 by dclarke

Okay, I’m sorry dclarke. But like I said, if I could have made it private, I would have. It’s no skin off my teeth, and I could have used a better avenue to post my grievances, but that being said, I hope I got my point across. Thanks for pointing that out! :)

67 | July 28, 2009 5:24 am

re: #56 by LanceKates

You are a terrible debater. To you it all comes down to guns, as if your .38 is an extension of your manhood.

One of two people were going to be president of the USA -- either Barack Obama or John McCain. In my opinion it is incumbent to choose which one would be better for America and in my mind it was no question, John McCain would be far better (or less dangerous) for America. I think the past 6 months has proved me right. That is all I want to say on this topic.

68 | July 28, 2009 5:26 am

re: #55 by dclarke

Apples and oranges. His whole issue is guns.

69 | July 28, 2009 5:26 am

re: #53 by bar

He did not vote for McCain. He kept his ‘principles’. Even Ann Coulter “got drunk and voted for McCain” (in the words of her blog) as did Rush Limbaugh.

70. 70 | July 28, 2009 11:21 am

re: #67 by Speranza

no, it is about constitutional freedoms and your support of people that trample them.

71. 71 | July 28, 2009 11:52 am

re: #69 by Speranza

believe what you wish, keep your hatred of conservatives and watch the nation slide to the left.

72. m
    72 | July 28, 2009 12:24 pm

Can’t we agree to disagree? This argument is so November 08~ ;-)

73. 73 | July 28, 2009 12:35 pm

re: #72 by m

sure, keeo the from blaming me for the rnc sucking and I’ll stop having to defend having principles.

I thoight religious folks believed in principles. I guess the rnc trumps all.

74. m
    74 | July 28, 2009 12:47 pm

re: #73 by LanceKates

Hey, you can’t help the rnc sux. That’s not what I meant at all, and you know it!

lol

I don’t agree with either of y’all! So there!

75. m
    75 | July 28, 2009 12:48 pm

harumph!

76. 76 | July 28, 2009 1:17 pm

re: #75 by m

what have I told you about giving me tongue, young lady?

77. m
    77 | July 28, 2009 1:25 pm

Please and thank you?

/starting rumours

I’M KIDDING, I KEEEED!

78. 78 | July 28, 2009 3:03 pm

re: #77 by m

heh, no comment.

79. RickMZ
    79 | July 28, 2009 3:26 pm

re: #51 by Speranza

I live in Queens, and I still miss Rudy, warts and all.

I hear he may be running for governor.