1940 Tour de France

by Bob in Breckenridge ( 19 Comments › )
Filed under Humor, Open thread at July 30th, 2009 - 9:55 pm

And an overnight open thread.

Oh, I got the picture from my buddy Denny’s sitetour

Comments

19 Responses to “1940 Tour de France”

1. Bob in Breckenridge
    1 | July 30, 2009 10:02 pm

And yes, he’s registered here, gocinatlanta, for those of you who worry about inane shit like that.

2. GootoYoubywayoftheZoo
    2 | July 30, 2009 10:19 pm

Is that our number one stalker leading the pack?

3. Bob in Breckenridge
    3 | July 30, 2009 11:16 pm

re: #2 by GootoYoubywayoftheZoo

If he had a ponytail, I’d say it’s possible. :)

4. African Moondog
    4 | July 31, 2009 12:18 am

#1 Bob in B,

Huh? Who are you talking about?

5. Bob in Breckenridge
    5 | July 31, 2009 12:22 am

re: #4 by African Moondog

I was assuming Goo was referring to the bike-riding, pony-tailed, washed-up ukulele playing libturd Nancy Johnson.

6. Bob in Breckenridge
    6 | July 31, 2009 12:25 am

re: #4 by African Moondog

Oh, I misunderstood. I’ll take the 5th amendment on answering that. But he knows exactly whom I’m talking about.

7 | July 31, 2009 5:38 am

There are a lot of myths about the Battle of France (May -- June 1940).

The Anglo-French forces pretty much held their own when their infantry (the bulk of their forces) came up against the German infantry (the bulk of their forces). The Germans won because they concentrated their armor and the allies did not. The allied tanks actually in many ways were better then the German tanks.

8. m
    8 | July 31, 2009 6:18 am

Happy Friday morning people!
    Woooohoooooooo!

9. African Moondog
    9 | July 31, 2009 6:39 am

Speranza,

Very true,

When the Anglo French forces did concentrate their armor they achieved some localized successes, such as De Gaulle’s counter attacks and the British counter attack at Arras.

The Allies were also hamstrung by the Luftwaffe achieving air control on the first day and the coordination between air and ground forces, classic blitzkrieg tactics last seen by the Israelis in ’67.

The Allies were further hamstrung by Field Marshal Von Manstein’s brilliant strategy which is is still taught in military academies the world over.

10 | July 31, 2009 7:17 am

re: #9 by African Moondog

classic blitzkrieg tactics last seen by the Israelis in ‘67.

Actually Gulf Wars I and II would be more like it.

11. m
    11 | July 31, 2009 7:30 am

Alrighty then… CRAPPY FRIDAY MORNING people!?

12. African Moondog
    12 | July 31, 2009 7:41 am

Sorry m,

Happy Friday morning.

13 | July 31, 2009 7:50 am

re: #11 by m

Happy Friday to you. Btw do you get paid today?

14. m
    14 | July 31, 2009 8:12 am

re: #13 by Speranza

Hiya!

No, I don’t get paid weekly. But today is a great day anyway~ it’s FRIDAY and I need the break!
    :D

15 | July 31, 2009 8:19 am

re: #14 by m

So do I. I get paid bi-weekly. I thought I’d have a nice quiet day but the numbnuts in the I.T. department can’t let that happen.

16 | July 31, 2009 8:24 am

How many of these young Nazi soldiers in the picture would perish in Russia in the next couple of years?

17. 17 | July 31, 2009 9:11 am

Taking that group as a representative sample, probably just one would be left.

18 | July 31, 2009 9:17 am

re: #17 by archonix

Especially if they were from the 6th Army -- the army that was the first into Paris and that was later trapped in Stalingrad.

19. keyword
    19 | July 31, 2009 6:40 pm

The second bike is my Dutch grandfather’s, I am SURE of it.