Producer/Director John Hughes dies at age 59

by Bob in Breckenridge ( 35 Comments › )
Filed under Art, Media at August 8th, 2009 - 1:57 am

Director/writer/producer John Hughes died at the age of 59. Before any of you ask “Why is this worthwhile?”, check out list of films Hughes directed, produced or wrote and you most likely saw: “Sixteen Candles,” “The Breakfast Club,” “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “Planes, Trains and Automobiles,” “Uncle Buck,” “Some Kind of Wonderful,” “Curly Sue,” “Mr. Mom,” “Home Alone,” “Pretty in Pink,” “Weird Science,” “She’s Having a Baby,” National Lampoon’s “Vacation”, “Christmas Vacation”, and “European Vacation”, “Beethoven,” “101 Dalmatians” and “Baby’s Day Out”, just to name a few. We’ve all probably seen most of these films.

Some of the actors he introduced us to were Matthew Broderick, Molly Ringwald, Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson, Macaulay Culkin and the late, great John Candy, who worked in eight of Mr. Hughes’s films.

When I was a kid, Mr. Hughes worked for my father at Don DeForest and Associates, an advertising firm in suburban Chicago, and later for Leo Burnett until he was in his late 20′s.

Then he quit to pursue his dream of being a writer and filmmaker. I knew him when I was a kid and used to see him at company gatherings back then.

His co-workers, including my Dad, thought he was nuts to give up a steady paycheck for something that most likely would never happen, especially considering he did not want to live in LA, but live in Chicago.

Needless to say, he proved them all wrong. Rest in peace, Mr. Hughes…

Comments

35 Responses to “Producer/Director John Hughes dies at age 59”

1. African Moondog
    1 | August 8, 2009 2:54 am

All those movies,

He seems to have been the most prominent movie maker in the late ’80s. He certainly made that time more bearable for me. What do we have now? “Zombie Strippers”!

He died relatively young and much to early. RIP

2. jakee308
    2 | August 8, 2009 3:14 am

Yeah, Makeout flics!

Molly Ringwald is now 41!!!! O.M.G. I’m sure.

3. vagabond trader
    3 | August 8, 2009 3:35 am

RIP. Babys Day Out is one of my all time favorite silly comedies.

Don’t know if its true, heard he was a conservative.

In Hollyweird that practicaly makes one a martyr.

4. jakee308
    4 | August 8, 2009 4:26 am

re: #3 by vagabond trader

That practically makes one a loner!

5. vagabond trader
    5 | August 8, 2009 4:48 am

re: #4 by jakee308

I see on the open you stuffed the ballot to get us over 200.Good job :D I predict a few more renegade 1.0ers jumping over to the dark side this weekend.

6. jakee308
    6 | August 8, 2009 4:51 am

re: #5 by vagabond trader

and none of it was bloviating. Well MOST of it wasn’t.

:D

7. vagabond trader
    7 | August 8, 2009 4:57 am

re: #6 by jakee308

No it wasn’t, lots of good links too.

I even enjoyed some of the other posters jokes. Speranzas Jewish ones were pretty amusing.

8. jakee308
    8 | August 8, 2009 4:59 am

re: #6 by jakee308

I want to see more commenters here. (even fultonchain) :)
    Gets the juices flowing. Makes you think. It’s good to see that although we have many differences, we agree on so much more. This is community and consensus.

Even though I’ve never had so much as a harsh word from CJ, I am appalled that he has treated his visitors in such a cavalier manner. Perhaps he is tired of the expense and aggravation for little or no compensation. If so then he should say so and initiate a fee.

Then there are those who enjoy the conversation and understand that the costs are an expression of love for freedom and liberty and a gift to their fellow commenters. The freedom to say what one wishes to without dire consequence is an uplifting and healing experience for the heart and can sooth one’s weary soul.

Thank you LGF 2.0!

9. vagabond trader
    9 | August 8, 2009 4:59 am

Good essay connecting the dots between liberalism and Nazism.

10. jakee308
    10 | August 8, 2009 5:21 am

I just learned a fun fact:

Don’t put a Redi-Whip™ nozzle in your mouth pointing up!!! All you get is a blast of compressed whatever and your cheeks blow out. LOL

It was amusing though.

For you kids at home, the correct way is to tilt one’s head back so that the nozzle is pointing down, that is pointing down so that you get the “reddi-whip” or whatever that man-made stuff is.

How did this happen to an ancient and experienced old soul such as myself? Well, I ran out of milk for my coffee. (can’t drink coffee without milk or something to cut the taste). So there was this can of Reddi-Whip (leftover from a hot chocolate binge I had recently) — Voila! A light went on and I put it in the coffee. Sadly it doesn’t cool the coffee! So watch out kiddies ’cause you can’t sue yourself for hot coffee like you can McDonald’s.

11. no2liberals
    11 | August 8, 2009 5:23 am

re: #9 by vagabond trader
    It’s the weekend, that means one thing for certain.
    Mark Steyn.
    Conformity is now the new dissent!
    /*snort**chuckle*

12. jakee308
    12 | August 8, 2009 5:29 am

re: #9 by vagabond trader

Good link, thanks. I had scanned American Thinker and saw the title but thought it was just a report on Pelosi’s exaggerations.

I don’t like to dwell too much on the blatant parallels between 1930′s Germany and America today. Believe me, I’m not IGNORING them so much as I can’t think about it for too long or I start to get too upset and panicky. Better to concentrate on making sure that these zealots are thwarted at every opportunity.

13. no2liberals
    13 | August 8, 2009 5:37 am

Know Your Town Hall Mob Agitators!
    This information is crucial!

/oh, and it’s from iowahawk

14. RickMZ
    14 | August 8, 2009 5:39 am

This is a very good post, Bob, with nice personal touches.

I do, however, take exception to one thing you said:

Some of the actors he introduced us to were . . . the late, great John Candy, who worked in eight of Mr. Hughes’s films.

I knew of John Candy in the late ’70′s from watching Second City TV, as I’m sure a lot of people did.

The list of films took me aback, as there are so many I’ve watched and thoroughly enjoyed. My personal favorite on the list was Beethoven.

re: #8 by jakee308

the “reddi-whip” or whatever that man-made stuff is.

‘Better’ eating through chemistry!

15. vagabond trader
    15 | August 8, 2009 5:46 am

re: #10 by jakee308

lol, in our house whenever that Whoooosh sound comes from the kitchen someone yells, “What are you doing?”

Never thought of the coffee option.

16. vagabond trader
    16 | August 8, 2009 5:48 am

re: #13 by no2liberals

Linda Douglas/Deputy assistant under minister of truth

bwahahahahaha! Love Iowahawk.

17. vagabond trader
    17 | August 8, 2009 6:00 am

Mark Steyn,insanely funny!No wonder librals hate us,even in the face of adversity we have humor.

Reporting dissent is the highest form of patriotism! Is your neighbor suspiciously “well-dressed”? Is he mouthing off about cancer survival rates under socialized medical systems while wearing a cravat? Give us his name, and we’ll give you his spats! Just go to flag@whitehouse.gov, not to be confused with flagging@whitehouse.gov., which is the e-mail address for reporting President Obama’s latest approval rating. Go to flay@whitehouse.gov if you’d like Speaker Pelosi to walk across your back as a whip-wielding SS dominatrix barking “Vee hoff vays of making you tokk less casually, dumbkopf!” Go to flange@whitehouse.gov if you need parts for your new government car, or your new government hip replacement. Go to flaunt@whitehouse.gov if you’d like a special preview of President Obama’s latest bare-chested pictorial for Vanity Fair. Go to flatulent@whitehouse.gov if you’d like to report your neighbor’s cow for excessive CO2 emissions.

18. 18 | August 8, 2009 6:08 am

Ben Stein gave a better tribute than I could ever give, but I have two things to say:

1) As I wrote in my own blog, it’s unlikely to find anybody who’s never even seen, let alone became a fan of, any of John Hughes’s films; he was, and his films in turn were, that good.

2) Do you remember how it feels when you lose a loved one during the year and the following Christmas, you think about (and miss all the more) that loved one? I have a feeling that come December, when watching Christmas Vacation, we’ll all be thinking about (and missing all the more) John Hughes.

May he rest in peace.

19. no2liberals
    19 | August 8, 2009 6:11 am

re: #17 by vagabond trader
    That’s because we know that God is in control.
    As I told one of my daughters, we need to stay involved, inform as many as we can, and laugh often.

20. jakee308
    20 | August 8, 2009 6:11 am

Have you seen this?

Generally I’m a optimistic paranoiac. Contradiction of terms? Yeah? So what about it?

Anyway, this means I enjoy thinking up/about all the BAD things that can happen under certain circumstances. Mostly as a way of formulating strategies to counter or avoid those circumstances.

Lately though too many of my scarier contingencies are beginning to look like I may need them.

I DON’T LIKE THIS. I don’t like that a certain President and a certain party are creating the circumstances that make these contingencies likely to be used!

My biggest fear was that Obama would get his Health reform without much protest and what that would entail. NOW my biggest fear is that EVEN THOUGH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAVE EXPRESSED THEIR DEMANDS THAT THIS NOT BE ENACTED THAT IT WILL BE PASSED ANYWAY.

I’m afraid this will mean one of two possibilities: (and it’s scary that our decision tree is losing possible solution branches left and right to where there are very few forks to take and most all of those have negative impact)

1. The PEOPLE will feel powerless and will not demand accountability. They will fall into apathy (the Democrats desired outcome) and no longer resist the changes.
    OR
    2. The PEOPLE rise up and begin to commit acts of retribution on the organs and representatives of Government (deserved or not)

Neither of these two outcomes is to be desired. OF the two, I am more in favor of number 2 if only because it will mean that we have reached the end of tolerance for the arrogance in D.C. It will mean some very bad days ahead though.

21. no2liberals
    21 | August 8, 2009 6:17 am

As for John Hughes, I must confess I never heard of him, or at least don’t recall ever having heard his name.
    Hollyweird doesn’t interest me very much. I will watch movies on the various channels, but have only purchased one ticket for a movie theater in the last 20yrs., when the Passion was showing.
    I’ve seen all the movies listed above, I think, some more than once, and were usually good for a chuckle or two.
    I’m glad to know, more than anything else, that he followed his dream, against all advice, and was successful. For that, I will remember his name as an example of a true American.

22. vagabond trader
    22 | August 8, 2009 6:18 am

re: #19 by no2liberals

Amen to that!

23. no2liberals
    23 | August 8, 2009 6:22 am

re: #20 by jakee308
    Stay prepared, and have a fall-back position.
    I do.

However, being an optimist, I find comfort in the dangedest places.
    Honduras Has Won!
    This goes to show what can happen when the populace demands a strict adherence to the Constitution. Something we can do, as well, the easy way or the hard way.

24. vagabond trader
    24 | August 8, 2009 6:22 am

re: #21 by no2liberals

Me either, but one, “Babys Day Out” is very funny and family friendly. About a trio of doofs who kidnap for ransom a sweet little rug rat in NYC and get waaaaay more than they bargained for.

25. vagabond trader
    25 | August 8, 2009 6:24 am

re: #23 by no2liberals

That is most excellent news and thread worthy! An example of what can be achieved when even the smallest “mob” stands up to organized bullies.

Thanks for the link.

26. no2liberals
    26 | August 8, 2009 6:30 am

re: #22 by vagabond trader
    In need of a good soul deep laugh?
    Look no further.
    It’s….Caturday!

27. no2liberals
    27 | August 8, 2009 6:31 am

re: #24 by vagabond trader
    That’s one of the movies I know I haven’t seen.

28. no2liberals
    28 | August 8, 2009 6:32 am

re: #25 by vagabond trader
    Yes ma’am.
    Wish I had time to throw a thread up, but have to go.
    I knew they were right in what they did, the Hondurans knew they were right, but it took over a month for the dingus in charge of Foggy Bottom to figure it out.

29. vagabond trader
    29 | August 8, 2009 6:39 am

re: #27 by no2liberals

Think you’d like it, silly fun. Love the Saturday kittehs, mine is right here next to his ole mama. Has a special cushy leather hassock by the desk.

Have a good one, must also face the world.

:D

30. Ma Sands
    30 | August 8, 2009 7:15 am

re: #10 by jakee308

(Betcha the double-experiment woke ya up pretty thoroughly, though….. : )

-- about that burned tongue, though: I’ve heard that putting some sugar right on it is supposed to alleviate the pain…..but I myself have found that holding some vitamin E oil in the mouth for a while, does the trick…..)

31. Ma Sands
    31 | August 8, 2009 7:19 am

re: #25 by vagabond trader

Storagemanager put that article up on his site, Winds of Babylon, this morning, too --alongside a sweet picture of The Mouse That Roared……how thrilled I am, at that bit of news, in the wake of all the freedom-killing news from our own country this week…..

32. Ma Sands
    32 | August 8, 2009 7:25 am

re: #21 by no2liberals

I, also, don’t recall ever hearing of him, but yesterday newsjunkie_ky posted on FB a short story of his that I think the blurb said never made it into the movie it was written for…..I think I’ve seen 99 9/10 % less films than you, even….probably why this story set me to laughing even in the midst of the mesmerizing horror of it all! : )

33. bar
    33 | August 8, 2009 7:37 am

RIP John Hughs
    Thanks for the memories and now a Christmas tradition in my house.

34 | August 8, 2009 7:40 am

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is my favorite.

I remember seeing it for the first time on LaserDisc (wait and see what Dad buys, then buy the thing that replaces it).

It made me pee myself with laughter and I cried at the end. (Hey, I was like 11 or something)

35. 35 | August 8, 2009 9:09 am

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Funniest move in the history of the universe.

No question whatsoever.