by Bob in Breckenridge ( 269 Comments › )
Filed under Democratic Party, Open thread, Progressives at December 17th, 2009 - 3:00 pm

To all you idiot liberals-

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2010, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere . Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wish

To the rest of you normal (conservative) people-

Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy New Year! Sorry for forgetting the greeting for the normal Jewish folks!

Tags:

Comments

269 Responses to “Two holiday greetings, one for normal people, and one for idiot liberals, and an evening open thread…”

1. mawskrat
    1 | December 17, 2009 3:04 pm

wow I was looking at a link and now here I am

2. LGoPs
    2 | December 17, 2009 3:05 pm

LOL. Well done. Merry Christmas to you Bob.

3. 3 | December 17, 2009 3:05 pm

Wouldn’t celebrating the “Winter solstice” not be “religion neutral” but actually paganism?

Oh, and Happy few last days of Chanukkah to the Jewish Netizens!

4 | December 17, 2009 3:06 pm

We light the seventh Kindle tonight.

5. LGoPs
    5 | December 17, 2009 3:10 pm

In light of this idiot liberal, made-up hypersensitivity, I would like to say that I take umbrage to people that greet me with “hello”. I am deeply offended that they would make such an overture, daring to assume that I wish to engage them in conversation. The nerve of some people.
    I need to find a lawyer who will represent me and take this case to the Supreme Court in defense of my constitutionally guaranteed right to privacy. Not to mention my right to be a dick.
    Dammit.

6. 6 | December 17, 2009 3:10 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

My contribution to evidence the “idiot liberal” Jews. A “progressive Jewish Alliance” Chanukkah of Social action and tikkun olam.

7. Ed Mahmoud
    7 | December 17, 2009 3:10 pm

HELL STORM BLIZZARD FOR DCA, PHL, LGA/JFK, ISP, PVD and BOS?

Maybe.

If everything works out, a full 5 weekdays off Christmas week, as 1 to 2 feet of wind blown snow, mixed with a little rain and sleet, (did I mention winds sustained, maybe, over 40 mph on the coasts), sticking to trees and powerlines?

Blocked roads, power outages, coastal flooding.

Everything to make your Kwa’anza a memorable one.

8. Russkilitlover
    8 | December 17, 2009 3:11 pm

And to all AGW Fundamentalists: Just try not to be so fucking miserable for one day.

9. Beltfed
    9 | December 17, 2009 3:12 pm

Hey what about the rest of us.

Happy Festivus

10 | December 17, 2009 3:14 pm

If I may add Chistmas which is now a hateful term should in no way be associated with a baby born, who may be referred to as Jesus the Christ.
    He was likely born on a day already referred to as Christmas by complete coincidence.
    Now enjoy your Holidays, not to be confused with Holy Days.

11. 11 | December 17, 2009 3:14 pm

@ Beltfed:

Oh right, and Kwanza. Can’t forget Kwanza.

12. Silhouette
    12 | December 17, 2009 3:16 pm

I almost dropped my coke when I was watching the Johnny Bravo Christmas special, and the little girl said, “That’s not what Christmas is all about. It’s about the birth of Jesus. And the spirit of giving.” She went on, but we all looked at each other in the room. Did she actually mention Jesus? Wow. Even the Grinch doesn’t do that. Just Linus and the Johnny Bravo.

13 | December 17, 2009 3:17 pm

bar opened an hour ago…

14. 14 | December 17, 2009 3:18 pm

Now enjoy your Holidays, not to be confused with Holy Days.

Since we are at it, can I add that Chanukkah and Xmas are not the same, and have nothing in common, or anything to do with each other? Dang, that is a pet peeve of mine. What is wrong with them being separate holidays, for different people? There is no “Chanukkah Bush”, “Chanukkah Lights” on the house, “Chanukkah Harry”, Jewish Santa Claus, Jewish stockings, Chaunkkah presents under a tree or Menorah, ….

Why not just wish a Happy Chanukkah to Jews, and Merry Xmas to Christians….Happy Kwanaza to blacks, …

15. Silhouette
    15 | December 17, 2009 3:18 pm

bar opened an hour ago…

I’ll have a benadryl on the rocks. With a kleenex chaser.

16 | December 17, 2009 3:19 pm

@ WrathofG-d:

thats the coexist for ya

17 | December 17, 2009 3:20 pm

Why I Left the Right, Exhibit T for Theocracy

Another Charles hysterical post.
    Interesting, because the other day he said that he was never on the right, that he voted for Clinton twice & then Gore.
    Ya can’t leave where you have never been .

18 | December 17, 2009 3:20 pm

Beltfed wrote:

Hey what about the rest of us.

Happy Festivus

Happy Festivus to you! What about the airing of the grievances? I have a lot of complaints about you people and you’re all going to be hearing them!

19. Ed Mahmoud
    19 | December 17, 2009 3:20 pm

Now enjoy your Holidays, not to be confused with Holy Days.

Jesus, Son of Mary, Wife of Josepth the Carpenter, may not have been born in late December at all. Plenty of speculation that having a big celebration the same time the Romans were having their big festival was just prudent. You know, day length basically follows a sign wave, and since the derivative of a sine wave is the cosine, more or less, the change in the length of day per day is almost nil December 21 plus/minus 3 or 4 days. December 25th is the first day a casual, but careful, observer might notice the days were getting longer.

Now, since the whole Christian idea of a crucifiction and Resurrection involves a Passover dinner the night before all the action started, it makes sense that Easter happens in Spring.

The bunnies and eggs would seem to suggest some incorporation of pagan Spring season fertility rituals, however.

20. krik_t_semaj
    20 | December 17, 2009 3:21 pm

I hate Christmas. Good song here.

The Waitresses, Christmas Wrapping.

21 | December 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Silhouette wrote:

bar opened an hour ago…
    I’ll have a benadryl on the rocks. With a kleenex chaser.

ruhh ro!

you need a hot whiskey

2oz tullamore dew
    4oz boiling water
    1 tsp sugar
    a lemon slice spiked with clove

pour into a glass with muddled wintergreen
    steep

take with cold medicine

22 | December 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Why I Left the Right, Exhibit T for Theocracy

Another Charles hysterical post.
    Ya can’t leave where you have never been .

He really needs to change his meds. He is headed for a mental asylum.

memo to Chaz -- nobody gives a shit about your political opinions any more and we post on it here only for laughs.

23 | December 17, 2009 3:23 pm

bar opened an hour ago…

Believe it or not , I was there. Today was our Christmas Party. Hic!

24. 24 | December 17, 2009 3:23 pm

I want someone to explain to me why a Secularocracy is preferable to a Theocracy?

If you are a Theocracy you exclude/discriminate against those not of that faith, however if you are a Secularocracy you exclude/discriminate everyone of faith. (aka: not of that faith -- secularism)

25 | December 17, 2009 3:23 pm

nice!

26. Ed Mahmoud
    26 | December 17, 2009 3:26 pm

OK, in my perspective as a non-Jewish person, it seems meet and proper that Chanukkah, the celebration of the deeds of Judas Maccabee and the rededication of the Temple, should, since it comes a week or two before Christmas, involve gift giving, and lights, and be included in the catch all “Happy Holidays”, so little Jewish boys and girls can get presents about the same time of year as their Christian classmates.

I suppose Passover, Yom Kippur, Roshashanah, and Shavuot have more religious significance, and get less attention. That probably isn’t right, but then again, in Christian theology the Paschal season is at least as important as Christmas, and it doesn’t get the same attention.

Now, if I were Jewish, it’d bother me that some Black Power CIA stooge from the 60s basically cribbed Chanukkah for “Kwa’anza”.

But that is a different discussion.

27 | December 17, 2009 3:26 pm

@ Ed Mahmoud:

Dedember 25th was not the day. However Christmas is ‘Christ Celebration” It is not something to be marginalized, & I know that you are not doing that.

28. Ed Mahmoud
    28 | December 17, 2009 3:27 pm

krik_t_semaj wrote:

I hate Christmas. Good song here.
    The Waitresses, Christmas Wrapping.

I saw on VH-1, that hot chick from the Waitresses (the white one), died of cancer like 15 years ago.

Bummer, I know.

29 | December 17, 2009 3:30 pm

It’s the most wonderful time of the year
    If Congress passes healthcare
    ‘Twill put you on welfare
    But you never fear
    It’s the most wonderful time of the year

It’s the hap-happiest season of all
    With Obama out makin’
    Pledges in Copenhagen
    That are not his call
    It’s the hap-happiest season of all

There’ll be ACORN exposing
    And lots of foreclosing
    With families out in the snow
    Money for startup projects
    In nonexistent districts
    Who knows where all of it will go?

It’s the most wonderful time of the year
    Although Gitmo detainees
    Will now live near you and me
    Don’t huddle in fear
    It’s the most wonderful time of the year, ooh ah

There’ll be ACORN exposing
    And lots of foreclosing
    With families out in the snow
    Money for startup projects
    In nonexistent districts
    Who knows where all of it will go?

It’s the most wonderful time of the year
    Although Gitmo detainees
    Will now live near you and me
    Don’t huddle in fear
    It’s the most wonderful time
    It’s the most wonderful time
    It’s the most wonderful time of the year
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh

30. 30 | December 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Happy Winter Festival, Libs!

31. Beltfed
    31 | December 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Speranza @ 16:

The celebration of Festivus begins with Airing of Grievances, which takes place immediately after the Festivus dinner has been served.

32. Ed Mahmoud
    32 | December 17, 2009 3:30 pm

@ Ed Mahmoud:

Not at all, I am trying to observe, to some degree, the penitential season of Advent to better prepare myself to celebrate the feast that celebrates the Incarnate Word, Emmanuel.

BTW, speaking of feasts, ok, granted, while Thanksgiving is a secular feast, it is a secular feast with a religious theme. I mean, Who are we being thankful to?

Notice, Jews and Christians have a fair number of feasts and festivals. Muslims just have the 2 Eids, the little one after the Hajj, the big one to end Ramabomb.

Maybe people that feast more often are happier, and less likely to self detonate or fly airplanes into American office buildings.

33. mawskrat
    33 | December 17, 2009 3:30 pm

my parents made thier own cold medecine for us kids. wiskey, surger lemon ect. now a days they would be thrown in jail for child abuse by the libtards.

34. krik_t_semaj
    34 | December 17, 2009 3:31 pm

@ Ed Mahmoud:

I did not know that. From somewhere else today, I forget where, a version of the lung and skin cancer genes have been sequenced.

35 | December 17, 2009 3:31 pm

@ WrathofG-d:
    We rightfully have separation of church and state. That means (for instance) that we do not stone or imprison adulterers. Iran is a theocracy and Iran sucks ****! Freedom of religion and free to be an atheist -- my sort of society.

36 | December 17, 2009 3:32 pm

He really needs to change his meds. He is headed for a mental asylum.

memo to Chaz – nobody gives a shit about your political opinions any more and we post on it here only for laughs

He is really such an attention whore. He is just a burned out 60′s Hippe looking to somehow be relevant.

37 | December 17, 2009 3:32 pm

Beltfed wrote:

I can’t wait for the feats of strength. I want to wrestle either LanceKates or WrathofG-d (and “m” will be my manager).

38. krik_t_semaj
    38 | December 17, 2009 3:33 pm

@ mawskrat:

More ‘h’s and less ‘rrr’s in my cold med’s and whiskey. i like limes and lemons.

39 | December 17, 2009 3:34 pm

mawskrat wrote:

but its ok to have the pharma companies make the mixture for ya!

40. mfhorn
    40 | December 17, 2009 3:36 pm

I’ll just take the Tullamore Dew. A Black Bush. Kilbeggans. Knappogue Castle. Tyrconnel. Powers. Feckin’. Clontarf.

41 | December 17, 2009 3:37 pm

@ WrathofG-d:

I agree with you. I don’t want a theocratic society & I don’t want a pure secular society where religion is discriminated against.
    I don’t think that we need to apoligize for our Judeo-Christian Ethic.
    Sombody help me out , who were the last Jews or Christians to fly planes into buildings?

42. 42 | December 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Speranza wrote:

@ WrathofG-d:
    We rightfully have separation of church and state. That means (for instance) that we do not stone or imprison adulterers. Iran is a theocracy and Iran sucks ****! Freedom of religion and free to be an atheist – my sort of society.

First of all there is nothing stopping the U.S. from voting in the stoning of Adulterers. Second, it is unfair to compare all Theocracy to Iran. That is the problem of Iran, and Islam, not Theocracy in general. That comparison ignores the fact that our “division of Church and State” was created in a Religious country -- a Christian country. Not all religions are created equal!

HOWEVER, none of that is really my point.

A forced secularism is not neutral, it is a Secularocracy which forces certain morals on the people the same as a Theocracy. The only difference is where those morals come from. In religion they come from Torah (Judaism), Jesus(?) (Christianity), Buddha (Buddhism), Mohammad (Islam), etc. In a secularocracy they come from a small portion of powerful individuals. Either way you have a situation where some group is going to be discriminated against or excluded.

As I stated above, in a Theocracy it is those not of that faith that are excluded/discriminated against, and in a Secularocracy it is those not of that faith that are excluded/discriminated against.

The misnomer is that Secular is neutral. It is not. It is discriminatory against the Faithful.

43 | December 17, 2009 3:38 pm

mfhorn wrote:

well, thats easy

44. Beltfed
    44 | December 17, 2009 3:39 pm

mawskrat @ 33:

My Mom would drop a raw egg and a couple of spoonfuls of honey into a tall glass of warm table wine, down the hatch and off to bed we go, slept like a baby all night and felt great next day.

45 | December 17, 2009 3:39 pm

@ mfhorn:
    Clontarf! That is where the great Brian Boru fell.

46. MikalM
    46 | December 17, 2009 3:39 pm

WrathofG-d wrote:

@ buzzsawmonkey:

For people like this, everything is about leftist politics. Absolutely everything, including their soul’s relationship to G-d.

Or as I once put it, “For a religious conservative, his politics are a function of his faith. For a religious liberal, his faith is a function of his politics.”

47 | December 17, 2009 3:41 pm

@ WrathofG-d:
    Live your life the way you want to do it and don’t impose your Talmudic (or Koranic) concepts on the rest of us. Re-read the U.S. constitution.

48. chickadee
    48 | December 17, 2009 3:42 pm

mawskrat wrote:

I remember once getting a whiskey, honey and lemon concoction from my Grandma that cured me after a nice nap. I was up and running in no time. :)

49. 49 | December 17, 2009 3:43 pm

WrathofG-d wrote:

Now enjoy your Holidays, not to be confused with Holy Days.

One celebrates the birth of Christ the other is the feast of dedication, how could someone confuse that? television?

50. Ed Mahmoud
    50 | December 17, 2009 3:43 pm

In a perfect world, the Christian feast of Passover and Shavuot should occur on the same day.

In Christian scripture, when the Apostles received the Holy Spirit and went outside, speaking of God in languages that everyone nearby could understand. See below. But the reason why Jews from all over the world, who spoke different languages, were in Jerusalem was for the Shavuot.

Or, while the timing of Jewish holidays don’t follow the timing of Christian holidays at all, the obverse isn’t true.

When the time for Pentecost was fulfilled, they were all in one place together.

And suddenly there came from the sky a noise like a strong driving wind, and it filled the entire house in which they were.

Then there appeared to them tongues as of fire, which parted and came to rest on each one of them.

And they were all filled with the holy Spirit and began to speak in different tongues, 4 as the Spirit enabled them to proclaim.

Now there were devout Jews from every nation under heaven staying in Jerusalem.

At this sound, they gathered in a large crowd, but they were confused because each one heard them speaking in his own language.

They were astounded, and in amazement they asked, “Are not all these people who are speaking Galileans?

Then how does each of us hear them in his own native language?

We are Parthians, Medes, and Elamites, inhabitants of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,

Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya near Cyrene, as well as travelers from Rome,

both Jews and converts to Judaism, Cretans and Arabs, yet we hear them speaking in our own tongues of the mighty acts of God.”

They were all astounded and bewildered, and said to one another, “What does this mean?”

51. mfhorn
    51 | December 17, 2009 3:43 pm

I’m not TOO picky when it comes to my Irish whiskey. The only one I’ve found that I flat out will NOT drink again was Brennan’s.

52 | December 17, 2009 3:44 pm

dont confuse the establishment clause with separation of church and state

53. 53 | December 17, 2009 3:44 pm

MikalM wrote:

Exceptionally well put!

You will notice on their home page that they have a Pro-gay aspect, and a anti-death penalty aspect. Somehow they get there through Judaism -- despite what the actual Torah says about both I guess.

54. song_and_dance_man
    54 | December 17, 2009 3:44 pm

B-HO HO HO

55 | December 17, 2009 3:45 pm

@ mfhorn:

so its a tullamore for ya, ice or straight.

that’s the closest at hand.

enjoy

56. NoThreat2U
    56 | December 17, 2009 3:46 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:
    May I save that one too? I want to print it out and sing it with my Mother when she gets home from vacation. She will get a kick out of you. lol )this will be for our own personal use….I promise.) Dude she’s gonna love ya!

57. Beltfed
    57 | December 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Speranza @ 37:

Will they be any nekeed mud wrestling ? ;)

58. 58 | December 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Speranza wrote:

@ WrathofG-d:

I would say, don’t force your non-Torah ways of living on me. What I am trying to point out, and what many refuse to see, is that it goes both ways.

By saying I cannot force my “halachic ways” (as if it worked that way) on you, you are forcing your non-halachic ways on me be refusing me that right.

Secularism is not neutral, it is its own set of morals -- no different than a religion is.

Understand?

59. 59 | December 17, 2009 3:48 pm

dont confuse the establishment clause with separation of church and state

Yes. But that is an entirely different conversation.

60 | December 17, 2009 3:49 pm

WrathofG-d wrote:

I notice that they go to great lengths to ensure that they do not purchase their celebratory paraphernalia from Jewish sources.

61 | December 17, 2009 3:50 pm

@ davehm:

Both have value & both are worthy to stand on their own & be celebrated.
    However I grew up with a guy with a Jewish father & Irish Catholic mother.
    He was celebrating all of the time. I think that it wore him out.

62 | December 17, 2009 3:50 pm

went to a local secular HS concert last night.

no kwanza, no muzzie shit.

there were christian carols that mentioned christ and shalom aleikhem was performed.

happily judeo christian

63 | December 17, 2009 3:50 pm

@ NoThreat2U:

Who am I to deny you joy at the holiday season? Sure, go ahead.

64. 64 | December 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Speranza wrote:

@ WrathofG-d:

You know what’s real funny? The atheist have been preaching that message for quite sometime “separation of church and state” and it has been ingrained in out society that church and state shall remain separate but what the atheist fails to realize is all those mosques growing in their own back yard! Remember it’s the separation of “church and state” not “mosque and state”. LOL

65. NoThreat2U
    65 | December 17, 2009 3:53 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:
    Thank you kindly sir. She is gonna laugh her butt off at that one….after we hit the punch bowl. lol

66 | December 17, 2009 3:54 pm

y’all are wrong anyway…christmas is on the 7th of january.

;)

67 | December 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Later gators.

68 | December 17, 2009 3:55 pm

bye, tip the waitress

69. NoThreat2U
    69 | December 17, 2009 3:55 pm

I used to use that excuse!! I figured Croatian was close enough to being Serbian, so why not!!

70. mfhorn
    70 | December 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Straight, please.

71 | December 17, 2009 3:56 pm

@ WrathofG-d:
    Nobody is forcing non Torah ways on you. You can keep Kosher, wear a yarmulke, doven, go to shul etc and nobody is going to do anything about it. However do not force your theocratic beliefs on me and the rest of the country, who even though we might be believers, are still
    secular.

72 | December 17, 2009 3:57 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

serb, croatian, same thing!

(in pgh it is…serbian club croatian club same thing)

73 | December 17, 2009 3:58 pm

@ davehm:
    The term “church” ios generic and includes any religious institution -- church, synagogue, mosque, etc.

74. NoThreat2U
    74 | December 17, 2009 3:58 pm

I heard something weird today. While talking to the mother of a Marine, she was saying that her son is now training in a new DoD program. It involves law enforcement. At first we thought she said he was training to be an MP. But NO. This is law enforcement training through the Dod. Anyone know what that is about? Oh, and it is something new.

75. 75 | December 17, 2009 3:58 pm

Speranza wrote:

secular.

What about the part of Judaism that states that we are to stone those who violate the Shabbat? Would you stop me from that part of my Halacic living?

76. NoThreat2U
    76 | December 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Obviously because we always got away with it!! Woo hoo two Christmases!!!!

77. mawskrat
    77 | December 17, 2009 4:00 pm

I’m starting to feel a tickle in my throat, maybe I should do a shot as preventive medecine!

78 | December 17, 2009 4:00 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

sounds like combat in cities stuff, crowd control and arrest procedures with a little less than lethal measures thrown in

79 | December 17, 2009 4:01 pm

WrathofG-d wrote:

Damn right and if you tried to stone someone and I was there and had a legal gun I would shoot you.
    You would enjoy living in Somalia

80. NoThreat2U
    80 | December 17, 2009 4:01 pm

I thought the military couldn’t be used in those situations?

81 | December 17, 2009 4:01 pm

The oil sheiks of Arabia are
    Empower’d ’cause we buy oil from afar
    But Greens say
    We can’t drill, so they
    Dictate to us how things are

Ohhhh
    If we drilled here, we would be
    Independent in energy
    We’re denied the means
    Because the Greens
    Worship the ecology.

82. song_and_dance_man
    82 | December 17, 2009 4:01 pm

However I grew up with a guy with a Jewish father & Irish Catholic mother.
    He was celebrating all of the time. I think that it wore him out.

Ok that is really funny.

I’ve said this many times in many ways. Christianity has moved away from its roots. And those roots were planted in Jewish tradition and heritage. If one looks at the newer scriptures,(what many call the new testament)- those past the Law, historical writings and the Prophets- one will find they are filled with reference to the Jewish writings of antiquity.

Modern Christendom is not, in its current form, what was intended by its founder and those who followed him by a large measure. But there are groups out there that get it, but not many.

And that could also be said of some Jews (the priesthood and scribes, mainly) who lived in the time of Yeshua. They were not left off the hook as Yeshua saw the politics that had creeped in.

83 | December 17, 2009 4:02 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

Obviously because we always got away with it!! Woo hoo two Christmases!!!!

bingo, i get to celebrate roman christmas and then orhtodox christmas and we get cheap christmas trees and decorations. oh and half off turkeys and hams.

its good to be orthodox

;)

84. mawskrat
    84 | December 17, 2009 4:02 pm

raging Rudolp

85. song_and_dance_man
    85 | December 17, 2009 4:03 pm

mawskrat wrote:

Buy Emergen-C. The stuff works.

86. NoThreat2U
    86 | December 17, 2009 4:03 pm

“Buzzsawmonkey Does Christmas”

You get all your favorites! Call now and we’ll throw in a copy of his previous works…good for anytime of the year.

Call NOW!

87. 87 | December 17, 2009 4:03 pm

Speranza wrote:

WrathofG-d wrote:

You would enjoy living in Somalia

Easy cowboy, I never stated that I advocated allowing that right. I was only using that one example to prove that the secularism you preach is NOT neutral and actually does impose your personal beliefs on others.

88. NoThreat2U
    88 | December 17, 2009 4:03 pm

I think we mainly use it as an excuse to drink Pelinkovac. lol

89. Silhouette
    89 | December 17, 2009 4:04 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

Obviously because we always got away with it!! Woo hoo two Christmases!!!!

I believe there are twelve days of Christmas to be exact. Now if I can just get the calling birds to shut up.

90. NoThreat2U
    90 | December 17, 2009 4:05 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    Well d’uh! Jesus WAS a Jew ya know.

91. Ed Mahmoud
    91 | December 17, 2009 4:05 pm

That is the Orthodox Christmas, no?

In Louisiana, January 6th, The Feast of the Epiphany (when the Magi, Gentiles, recognized Jesus) starts the season of Carnival.

I believe from an Italian word, referring to the upcoming Lenten season when meat won’t be eaten. Of course, the Western chuch has liberalized, and other than Ash Wednesday and the Fridays of Lent, meat is ok.

Now, how a little festival of enjoying some good food before 40 days of fasting (and it isn’t Muslim style super strict Ramadan fasting) has turned into a drunken orgy in New Orleans, well, I guess some people need just a hint of an excuse.

Of course, the Sundays in Lent don’t count toward the 40 days, nor do the Paschal Triduum, but I digress.

92. NoThreat2U
    92 | December 17, 2009 4:06 pm

@ Silhouette:
    Those Leaping Lords are really getting on my damn nerves!!!!!!!

93 | December 17, 2009 4:06 pm

@ WrathofG-d:
    we live in a secular society and people should live their lives the way they want to as long as it does not infringe on others. Pray, doven, chant with beads, I don’t care -- just don’t look for the rest of us to nod in approval. Go about your business.

94 | December 17, 2009 4:08 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

Well d’uh! Jesus WAS a Jew ya know.

“Yeah but only on his mothers side”

Archie Bunker

95. BuddyG
    95 | December 17, 2009 4:08 pm

Noel Nostalgia

96 | December 17, 2009 4:08 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

I thought the military couldn’t be used in those situations?

you are mistaken

97. Ed Mahmoud
    97 | December 17, 2009 4:08 pm

In 2007 Warner wrote, and Bush signed, a bill that effectively ends Posse Commitatus.

Bush has given Obama the power to use the military to install himself as dictator.

Not on purpose. It was a response to 9-11 and Hurricane Katrina, allowing the military to aid law enforcement in case of riots after a major disaster.

98. Truck Monkey
    98 | December 17, 2009 4:08 pm

Twas the night before Christmas as told by an ACLU attorney.
    ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas, Legal Version

Whereas, on or about the night prior to Christmas, there did occur at
    a certain improved piece of real property (hereinafter “the House”) a
    general lack of stirring by all creatures therein, including, but not
    limited to a mouse.

A variety of foot apparel, e.g. stocking, socks, etc., had been
    affixed by and around the chimney in said House in the hope and/or
    belief that St. Nick a/k/a/ St. Nicholas a/k/a/ Santa Claus
    (hereinafter “Claus”) would arrive at sometime thereafter.

The minor residents, i.e. the children, of the aforementioned House, were
    located in their individual beds and were engaged in nocturnal
    hallucinations, i.e. dreams, wherein vision of confectionery treats,
    including, but not limited to, candies, nuts and/or sugar plums, did
    dance, cavort and
    otherwise appear in said dreams.

Whereupon the party of the first part (sometimes hereinafter referred to as
    “I”), being the joint-owner in fee simple of the House with the parts of the
    second part (hereinafter “Mamma”), and said Mamma had retired for a sustained
    period of sleep. (At such time, the parties were clad in various forms of
    headgear, e.g. kerchief and cap.)

Suddenly, and without prior notice or warning, there did occur upon the
    unimproved real property adjacent and appurtent to said House, i.e.
    the lawn, a certain disruption of unknown nature, cause and/or
    circumstance. The party of the first part did immediately rush to a
    window in the House to
    investigate the cause of such disturbance.

At that time, the party of the first part did observe, with some degree of
    wonder and/or disbelief, a miniature sleigh (hereinafter the “Vehicle”) being
    pulled and/or drawn very rapidly through the air by approximately eight (8)
    reindeer. The driver of the Vehicle appeared to be and in fact was, the
    previously referenced Claus.

Said Claus was providing specific direction, instruction and guidance to the
    approximately eight (8) reindeer and specifically identified the animal
    co-conspirators by name: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder
    and Blitzen (hereinafter the “Deer”). (Upon information and belief, it is
    further asserted that an additional co-conspirator named Rudolph may
    have been involved.)

The party of the first part witnessed Claus, the Vehicle and the Deer
    intentionally and willfully trespass upon the roofs of several residences
    located adjacent to and in the vicinity of the House, and noted that
    the Vehicle was heavily laden with packages, toys and other items of
    unknown origin or nature. Suddenly, without prior invitation or
    permission, either express or implied, the Vehicle arrived at the
    House, and Claus entered said
    House via the chimney.

Said Claus was clad in a red fur suit, which was partially covered
    with residue from the chimney, and he carried a large sack containing
    a portion of the aforementioned packages, toys, and other unknown
    items. He was smoking what
    appeared to be tobacco in a small pipe in blatant violation of local
    ordinances
    and health regulations.

Claus did not speak, but immediately began to fill the stocking of the minor
    children, which hung adjacent to the chimney, with toys and other small gifts.
    (Said items did not, however, constitute “gifts” to said minor
    pursuant to the applicable provisions of the U.S. Tax Code.) Upon
    completion of such task, Claus touched the side of his nose and flew,
    rose and/or ascended up the chimney of the House to the roof where the
    Vehicle and Deer waited and/or served as “lookouts.” Claus immediately
    departed for an unknown destination.

However, prior to the departure of the Vehicle, Deer and Claus from
    said House, the party of the first part did hear Claus state and/or
    exclaim: “Merry
    Christmas to all and to all a good night!” Or words to that effect.

99. NoThreat2U
    99 | December 17, 2009 4:08 pm

@ Ed Mahmoud:
    Because Fat Tuesday is the last time to have fun before Lent starts.

100. song_and_dance_man
    100 | December 17, 2009 4:09 pm

The thing that I really used to enjoy at 1.0, was the fact we could discuss religion and politic; a thing some say should not be discussed in polite company.

The religious overtones at 1.0 were allowed because most of the topics, in the time of its popular stage, centered around Islam and Muslims.

And now we have that here.

And an afterthought. Maybe that is why Foster doesn’t post Islam threads anymore. It brings the religion out, and it is certain he’s not comfortable with that.

101. NoThreat2U
    101 | December 17, 2009 4:09 pm

@ Speranza:
    Oh my! LMAO I never did like Archie…in that show at least. Otherwise, I hear he was a great man in real life.

102 | December 17, 2009 4:10 pm

I think we mainly use it as an excuse to drink Pelinkovac. lol

ack!

plikovak! that stuff is wicked nasty.

it’ll make ya grow a mullet

103 | December 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Fat Tuesday

Hasn’t Fat Tuesday been outlawed as being pejorative to the differently-girthed, and because it tends to glorify obesity?

104. song_and_dance_man
    104 | December 17, 2009 4:10 pm

@ NoThreat2U:

You state the obvious and may have missed the point of my post.

105 | December 17, 2009 4:11 pm

@ NoThreat2U:

Heh.

106. NoThreat2U
    106 | December 17, 2009 4:11 pm

I thought there was some “rule” or whatever you want to call it about using military personnel in civilian situations. Except maybe the National Guard. I admit, I don’t know much. I just though the government couldn’t use it’s own military against it’s citizens. (Something like that)

107. 107 | December 17, 2009 4:11 pm

Speranza wrote:

@ WrathofG-d:
    we live in a secular society and people should live their lives the way they want to as long as it does not infringe on others. Pray, doven, chant with beads, I don’t care – just don’t look for the rest of us to nod in approval. Go about your business.

You either missed my point, or are refusing to acknowledge it because it weakens your argument. Either way, I will restate it.

By the example above wherein you would not allow me my religious right to stone violaters of the Shabbat, your secularocracy DOES infringe on others -- it doesn’t allow me to practice my religion as I am Commanded to do. It forces your secular morals (that stoning others for violating Shabbat is wrong) on me and my religion that might believe that stoning people for violating the Shabbat is a Religious duty!

Secular is not neutral! This is my point! The stoning is just one example.

108 | December 17, 2009 4:12 pm

@ Ed Mahmoud:

it counts for orthodox…there is plenty of fasting.

109. myselfandi
    109 | December 17, 2009 4:12 pm

blockquote>

NoThreat2U wrote:

If this is what I think it is, it would be the NCIS not MP and isn’t really new. My daughter did it in the Army for a few years. CID. They go on stakeouts and drug busts and are basically cops for off base crimes being committed by military personnel. They also have to investigate domestic abuse, suicides, murders etc. they often work very closely with law enforcement and go undercover.

110. NoThreat2U
    110 | December 17, 2009 4:12 pm

@ Truck Monkey:
    Oh God that is just sad. lol

111. Ed Mahmoud
    111 | December 17, 2009 4:13 pm

The coming of Lent, and the beginning of some penitential discipline, doesn’t have to be an excuse for drinking to the point of vomiting, or sex with strangers.

I had to wait once for the Carnival parade to pass in Youngsville, LA once while I was on my way to Intracoastal City.

112. Empire1
    112 | December 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Drat, I mis-read the thread titles and posted the below on the last thread thinking it was the open one. Could an admin please delete my #128 on the last thread, please, so it won’t be in the wrong place?

Now in the correct place:

There’ve been an awful lot of “prophecy” programs on TV lately (or at least it seems like a lot!). They’re full of gloom and doom, and most have some sort of final war/Armageddon/Ragnarok coming up soon. OKay, I can see that, since there are always various disasters and wars going on, so those are fairly safe prophecies. But I find it annoying that none of the programs go on to say what’s supposed to happen after this Final War. There are a few hints that at least some of the prophecies say there will be Good Things afterward, but they don’t go into detail.

I know there are a lot of Christians here, so what’s supposed to come after Armageddon?

Do the Jews have an equivalent catastrophe? If so, what comes afterward?

On the other hand, if the aftermath is supposed to be some sort of Mad Max scenario, as one would expect after such a disastrous war, maybe I’d be happer not knowing!

113. NoThreat2U
    113 | December 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Not true!! I haven’t grown one yet and also, there is no hair on my chest. lol lol

114. Truck Monkey
    114 | December 17, 2009 4:13 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

Hasn’t Fat Tuesday been outlawed as being pejorative to the differently-girthed

Now that right there is funny! It is ok to discriminate against the differently girthed just as it is to do so against smokers and religious people doncha know.

115. BuddyG
    115 | December 17, 2009 4:13 pm

LGF1 Grinch

116 | December 17, 2009 4:14 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    Now on 1.0 Islam is treated more respectfully by the blogmaster then Christianity. Go figure.

117. Silhouette
    117 | December 17, 2009 4:14 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

Fat Tuesday

wiki says:

The name Tuesday derives from the Old English “Tiwesdæg” and literally means “Tiw’s Day”[1]. Tiw is the Old English form of the Proto-Germanic god *Tîwaz, or Týr in Norse, a god of war and law.

I demand a new name for that day!

Separation of proto-germanic church and state. It’s in the Constitution people! Right next to the part outlining the powers of the office of president-elect and the part about health.

Thank heavens the other months and days aren’t named after religious deities.

118 | December 17, 2009 4:14 pm

I would be for a Secularocracy that adopted but one thing from Theocracy: 10% and above total taxation considered to be enslaving oppression of the people.

119. NoThreat2U
    119 | December 17, 2009 4:15 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:
    Do you really think they would outlaw something that lets women shake their boobies for beads?? C’mon man!!!

120. chickadee
    120 | December 17, 2009 4:15 pm

Mark Levin is discussing the Zero Death Care Bill that says special consideration has to be given to minority applicants to achieve greater quotas in admission to medical schools. WTF. Another reason Dems do NOT want the bill read.
    WOW, less qualified medical personnel more and more will hold our lives in their hands. Why is something like this in a H.C bill.

121 | December 17, 2009 4:15 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

not for use outside the us there isnt.

combat in city doctrine is about 20 yrs old.

122. 122 | December 17, 2009 4:16 pm

@ Empire1:

Jews have an End of Days scenario, but it doesn’t (have to) depend on catastrophe.

As for “what comes after” from a Jewish perspective I would defer to http://www.aish.com, or http://www.chabad.org.

123. song_and_dance_man
    123 | December 17, 2009 4:16 pm

@ Speranza:

Uh, not so great. He was no fan of conservatism.

124. NoThreat2U
    124 | December 17, 2009 4:16 pm

@ myselfandi:
    Ahhhhh. Thank you for the explaination. The woman said it wasn’t MP. I just didn’t know what she was talking about. Your response makes perfect sense to me now.

125. Eliana
    125 | December 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Here is a Happy Chanukah greeting video that I just got in email!

Nefesh B’Nefesh did this -- it’s a group that helps thousands of Jews immigrate to Israel from North America each year with free chartered airline flights, etc. They’re a great bunch!

This is a “Flash Mob” presentation (where people suddenly seem to appear out of nowhere and dance together in unison in a public place).

They did this in Jerusalem!!

Happy Chanukah!!

126 | December 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Silhouette wrote:

Well, then, “Fat Tuesday” is perfectly all right, since it refers to someone’s spare Tyr.

127 | December 17, 2009 4:17 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

Umm Carol O’Connor was a flaming liberal in real life- supported John Lindsay for the Democratic POTUS nomination in 1972. Archie Bunker was an unintentionally funny guy but he was a liberal’s idea (actually the odious Norman Lear) of what a conservative was i.e. a cartoon character.

128. NoThreat2U
    128 | December 17, 2009 4:17 pm

@ Silhouette:
    LMAO You don’t sound any crazier than the ACLU. lol lol

129 | December 17, 2009 4:18 pm

@ Empire1:
    I do not consider it to be an apocalyptic end but rather a renewing as renewals have been before. With this renewal I’m expecting the nations to fail and no longer be used by G-d for governance of the people.

130 | December 17, 2009 4:18 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Uh, not so great. He was no fan of conservatism.

a terrific actor and probably a nice guy -- but he was a flaming leftist poltiically.

131. NoThreat2U
    131 | December 17, 2009 4:19 pm

Like I readily admitted, I don’t know much about military business, but this did cause me to pause and wonder. Thanks for helping clear that up for me.

132. BuddyG
    132 | December 17, 2009 4:19 pm

Fa La La La LIZARD La La La La

133. song_and_dance_man
    133 | December 17, 2009 4:20 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

@ Speranza:

Uh, not so great. He was no fan of conservatism.

Oh wait, I retract that. I was thinking of Ed Asner.

134. PrincessNatasha
    134 | December 17, 2009 4:20 pm

bar opened an hour ago…

One more final to suffer through, and the bottle of vodka is going to be opened and demolished… I am not even going to bother with a glass. I’ll just chug it, like the barbarian I am. :lol:

135. NoThreat2U
    135 | December 17, 2009 4:20 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    Rea;;y? I can give him a pass on his political leaning. Otherwise, I hear he was a really good man. But then again, what the hell do I know ;)

136 | December 17, 2009 4:21 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Oh wait, I retract that. I was thinking of Ed Asner.

Ed Asner? That guy is a freaking communist. Again a terrific actor but a huge Red.

137. 137 | December 17, 2009 4:21 pm

@ Eliana:

Cute!

Notice the main (first) guy is an Israeli, black, and religious.

Oh that “racist” Israel./ ;)

138. BuddyG
    138 | December 17, 2009 4:22 pm

After Armageddon

139 | December 17, 2009 4:22 pm

@ BuddyG:

you have millions of pics, i swear

140. NoThreat2U
    140 | December 17, 2009 4:22 pm

@ PrincessNatasha:
    Awww f*ck it! Chug chug chug chug!!!

141. song_and_dance_man
    141 | December 17, 2009 4:23 pm

And now reading what Speranza has said I retract my retraction.

142. Silhouette
    142 | December 17, 2009 4:23 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

You don’t sound any crazier than the ACLU.

Awww, that’s the sweetest thing anyone has said to me all day.

143 | December 17, 2009 4:24 pm

PrincessNatasha wrote:

bar opened an hour ago…

just make sure that bottle isnt the expensive stuff

144. yah
    144 | December 17, 2009 4:25 pm

@ WrathofG-d:

True. But if we are all to get along, we all have to give up something. But lately it seems to be religious people are less and less able to express or demonstrate their beliefs in public, whereas secularists are. In other words, we all have to act like our religion/beliefs do not exist.

145. BuddyG
    145 | December 17, 2009 4:27 pm

On this Hanukkah, may you all live long and prosper.

146 | December 17, 2009 4:27 pm

@ yah:

the religious should be allowed to swing their arms all they like, until they hit a secular on the nose.

to paraphrase jefferson

147 | December 17, 2009 4:28 pm

yah wrote:

Religious Jews wear tzitzit. They’ve always been a fringe element.

148. song_and_dance_man
    148 | December 17, 2009 4:28 pm

PrincessNatasha wrote:

Well today, being Thor’s day, is the perfect day to get hammered.

149. mawskrat
    149 | December 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Mullet…hell yeah….businness up front party in the rear!

150. Silhouette
    150 | December 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Speranza wrote:

Yep. As was Frank Burns, Alex Keaton, and a host of other strawman argument characters. Present conservative characters as mean, stupid, racist, etc. And what few real opinions of conservatives they do hold, make them extreme distortions, and then from there you can make your case time and again that conservatives are wrong. Easy-peasy.

151 | December 17, 2009 4:29 pm

BuddyG wrote:

On this Hanukkah, may you all live long and prosper.

amazing!

152. 152 | December 17, 2009 4:29 pm

@ Speranza:
    I’m not to sure..I wonder what the courts say?

153. 153 | December 17, 2009 4:29 pm

yah wrote:

@ WrathofG-d:

I wasn’t advocating necessarily for a theocracy, but just trying to evidence that this Secularocracy that we are enforcing (or marching towards) is no better and definitely not neutral as most Liberals or secularists like to sell it.

I appreciate you being able to acknowledge that it is a give and take between secular and Religion.

154. NoThreat2U
    154 | December 17, 2009 4:30 pm

@ Speranza:
    I saw an AWESOME episode of CSI New York with Ed Asner in it. He played a Jewish clock repairman. We’ll someone breaks in and steals his wife’s necklace (she was killed in the Holocaust) Turns out, he wasn’t a Jew, and the necklace? He got that from some woman who years ago, he turned her and her family over to the Nazis! It was a very powerful episode. They were speaking to a real survivor about the necklace. It was a real tearjerker. Needless to say, it pissed of Gary Sinise’s character. I had no idea he was a fuckin commie!

155. yah
    155 | December 17, 2009 4:31 pm

156. NoThreat2U
    156 | December 17, 2009 4:31 pm

@ Silhouette:
    My gift to you sistah! lol

157 | December 17, 2009 4:31 pm

Silhouette wrote:

Speranza wrote:

my nic name in high school was alex keaton

158. mawskrat
    158 | December 17, 2009 4:32 pm

@ NoThreat2U:
    good Lord your new gravatar just showed up

159. 159 | December 17, 2009 4:32 pm

to paraphrase jefferson

And the secular should be able to swing their arms all they like until they hit a Religious person the nose.

Religion and secular are two sides of the same coin.

160 | December 17, 2009 4:32 pm

mawskrat wrote:

Mullet…hell yeah….businness up front party in the rear!

drink enough plikovak and listen to enough dokken and u get a mullet

161. Eliana
    161 | December 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Cute!

Notice the main (first) guy is an Israeli, black, and religious.

Oh that “racist” Israel./ ;)

Yes, I noticed that!

For our non-Jewish friends, the fact that he’s religious is evident by the white strings hanging from his four-cornered garment (tzitzit). Religious Jewish men wear this garment.

The strings are visible outside of his trousers.

162. BuddyG
    162 | December 17, 2009 4:33 pm

Politically incorrect but nonetheless merry.

163 | December 17, 2009 4:33 pm

WrathofG-d wrote:

to paraphrase jefferson

Religion and secular are two sides of the same coin.

they are.

so quit hitting each other in the nose

164. NoThreat2U
    164 | December 17, 2009 4:34 pm

@ mawskrat:
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha The burning of your eyes will stop in about 24 hours. lol

165. song_and_dance_man
    165 | December 17, 2009 4:34 pm

BuddyG wrote:
    On this Hanukkah, may you all live long and prosper.

amazing!

It would seem there are Jewish trekkies. Must be the Klingons.

166. Silhouette
    166 | December 17, 2009 4:34 pm

yah wrote:

@ buzzsawmonkey:
    Monday=Moon, Tuesday=Mars, Wednesday=Mercury, Thursday=Jupiter Friday=Venus, Saturday=Saturn, Sunday=Moon Sun

Wiki gives some different gods. Thor for Thursday for example, and the aforementioned Tuesday.

167 | December 17, 2009 4:35 pm

BuddyG wrote:

Politically incorrect but nonetheless merry.

now thats funny right there

168. NoThreat2U
    168 | December 17, 2009 4:35 pm

That’s why you don’t like it…you’re doing it wrong. When drinking Pelinkovac, you need to POLKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

169. song_and_dance_man
    169 | December 17, 2009 4:36 pm

yah wrote:

It’s all Greek to me.

170. BuddyG
    170 | December 17, 2009 4:36 pm

@ song_and_dance_man @165:

Shatner and Nimoy are both Jewish !

171. Eliana
    171 | December 17, 2009 4:36 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

Religious Jews wear tzitzit. They’ve always been a fringe element.

Great pun!

(For our non-Jewish friends, the white strings that hang down along the trousers from the tzitzit are called “fringes.”)

172 | December 17, 2009 4:36 pm

Is Friday really Venus day?

173 | December 17, 2009 4:38 pm

plinkovak is why there were wars in yugoslavia

174. 174 | December 17, 2009 4:38 pm

mawskrat wrote:

@ NoThreat2U:
    good Lord your new gravatar just showed up

I think it’s hot, no I’ve haven’t been drinking..pray for me/

175. NoThreat2U
    175 | December 17, 2009 4:39 pm

@ mawskrat:
    BTW….GET OFF MY BLOG!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahaha

176. Silhouette
    176 | December 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Monday’s child is fair of face,
    Tuesday’s child is full of grace,
    Wednesday’s child is full of woe,
    Thursday’s child has far to go,
    Friday’s child is loving and giving,
    Saturday’s child works hard for a living,
    But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
    Is bonny and blithe and good and gay

177. BuddyG
    177 | December 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Cold Warrior !

178. Eliana
    178 | December 17, 2009 4:40 pm

@ mawskrat:

@ NoThreat2U:
    good Lord your new gravatar just showed up

It would be nice if we had the option of viewing a person’s previous avatar, wouldn’t it? :-)

Yikes.

179 | December 17, 2009 4:40 pm

plinkovak is why there were wars in yugoslavia

for our non-hunky friends:

the war in yugoslavia between the serbs and the croats was really fought over which was WORSE plinkovak or slivovitz

180 | December 17, 2009 4:40 pm

yah wrote:

I’m blue every Monday
    Thinking over Sunday
    That one day when I’m with you
    I sigh all day Tuesday
    I cry all day Wednesday
    Oh my, how I long for you
    And then comes Thursday
    Gee, it’s long, it never goes by
    Friday makes me feel like I’m gonna die
    But after payday, that’s my fun day
    I shine all day Sunday
    That one day when I’m with you

—Gene Austin, 1927

181. NoThreat2U
    181 | December 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Nah…I think it was Slivovic (pronounced schlivovitz)) Now that shit tastes like piss. lol

182. Silhouette
    182 | December 17, 2009 4:41 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

Gene Austin, 1927

I love her books.

183. 183 | December 17, 2009 4:41 pm

@ Eliana:

I was going to explain all that but I like the way you and Buzz tekhelet better.

184 | December 17, 2009 4:42 pm

BuddyG wrote:

Cold Warrior !

leave it to the cannucks

185. NoThreat2U
    185 | December 17, 2009 4:42 pm

@ davehm:
    @ Eliana:
    ROFLMAO :)

186 | December 17, 2009 4:43 pm

see…croats v serbs

i told u

187. song_and_dance_man
    187 | December 17, 2009 4:43 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

Is Friday really Venus day?

The names of the celestial bodies that are used for the Gregorian days of the week have other ancient associations in various pagan cults. Venus was the Roman god of fertility and with the Greeks was Aphrodite. And it goes back in time from there.

188. NoThreat2U
    188 | December 17, 2009 4:44 pm

You cannot imagine how many times people have heard us refer to ourselves as hunkies. They think we mean honkies! I always have to explain what hunky salad is. lol It warms the cockles of my heart to hear you use that word!!

189. yah
    189 | December 17, 2009 4:44 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

yah wrote:
    Religious Jews wear tzitzit. They’ve always been a fringe element.

I get your joke. (cute) But seriously, I have seen no one in public wearing a tzitzit. But I have seen men in women’s clothes and make-up, plenty of people in T-shirts with foul language, gross bumper stickers, near naked women on billboards advertising strip joints, billboards advertising abortion clinics, men kissing men.

190 | December 17, 2009 4:45 pm

Silhouette wrote:

I love her books.

Huh? “Her?”

Gene Austin was a male recording star of the ’20s, who introduced songs like “My Blue Heaven.”

191. NoThreat2U
    191 | December 17, 2009 4:45 pm

You a member of the Cro Club in Lion country? I am. Let me know if you want in. I can vouch for ya! We can sit around and talk politics.

192. song_and_dance_man
    192 | December 17, 2009 4:46 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

Josh McDowell once gave a sermon about sex. He suggested the best days for sex were the ones that started with ‘T’. Tuesday, Thursday, today, tomorrow, Tatuday and Tunday.

193 | December 17, 2009 4:46 pm

yah wrote:

But seriously, I have seen no one in public wearing a tzitzit.

Come on down to Brooklyn, baby.

194. Eliana
    194 | December 17, 2009 4:46 pm

@ WrathofG-d:

Wow! This is a buzzsawmonkey level pun!! :-)

(From Jewfaq.org: The Torah commands us to wear tzitzit (fringes) at the corners of our garments as a reminder of the mitzvot. The passage also instructs that the fringe should have a thread of “techeilet,” believed to be a blue or turquoise dye, but the source of that dye is no longer known, so tzitzit are today are all white. There is a complex procedure for tying the knots of the tzitzit, filled with religious and numerological significance.)

195. Silhouette
    195 | December 17, 2009 4:46 pm

Hold on a minute. I need to update my Facebook and Twitter status.

196. Silhouette
    196 | December 17, 2009 4:48 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

It was a Jane Austen joke.

One that failed, apparently. ;-)

197 | December 17, 2009 4:48 pm

@ yah:
    Electronic display tee-shirts are coming. Soon you’ll be able to splash out a rebuttal tee-shirt after you see one that gripes you. Won’t that be fun?

Might cause some scuffles

198. PrincessNatasha
    198 | December 17, 2009 4:48 pm

just make sure that bottle isnt the expensive stuff

It is. No other enters my home.

199 | December 17, 2009 4:48 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

tis a beautiful thing isnt it?

we might get with ya on that offer after the holidays

200. Eliana
    200 | December 17, 2009 4:49 pm

@ yah:

But seriously, I have seen no one in public wearing a tzitzit.

I’ve seen this, even in America.

In Israel, they’re all over the place (especially in the settlements).

201. NoThreat2U
    201 | December 17, 2009 4:49 pm

@ Eliana:
    I watched the Naked Archaeologist one night. He was in Israel trying to find what made that shade of blue. Two brother seem to think it is made from some fish. I forget what the fish is though.

202 | December 17, 2009 4:49 pm

PrincessNatasha wrote:

just make sure that bottle isnt the expensive stuff
    It is. No other enters my home.

fine, at least do one shot properly first then slam it

203 | December 17, 2009 4:50 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Venus/Aphrodite, being the goddess of love, was the very definition of a “heavenly body.”

204 | December 17, 2009 4:50 pm

go to squirrel hill in pittsburgh

205. NoThreat2U
    205 | December 17, 2009 4:51 pm

Let me know. Then our spouses can talk amongst themselves while we go off on political tangents. Or they can join in! I don’t know how involved your wife is, but my other half is still in the learning stages. i have to teach him.

206. yah
    206 | December 17, 2009 4:51 pm

@ waldensianspirit:
    The days of the week were named before Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto were discovered. I guess it’s a good thing or we would have a 10 day week.

207. 207 | December 17, 2009 4:51 pm

@ Eliana:

Why that is quite the compliment, thank you. I wasn’t sure if you were going to like it or knot.

Seriously though Re your Jewfaq statement that “…but the source of that dye is no longer known, so tzitzit are today are all white.”

This is no longer true. Through DNA matching of old Tzitzit, and presumed Techelit producing animals, they were able to find a match. Of course, since this is new technology and such, there is still debate, but….I just happen to have Techelit Tzitzit.

208. Nevergiveup
    208 | December 17, 2009 4:52 pm

@ Eliana:

Dead

209. song_and_dance_man
    209 | December 17, 2009 4:53 pm

@ Eliana:

Blue fin?

210 | December 17, 2009 4:53 pm

@ Silhouette:

I am covered with rue.

211. yah
    211 | December 17, 2009 4:54 pm

go to squirrel hill in pittsburgh

My first belly laugh of the day. Thanks.

212 | December 17, 2009 4:54 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

i will…wife is from moscow, she is very conservative and is no novice

213. NoThreat2U
    213 | December 17, 2009 4:54 pm

@ Nevergiveup:
    Well no shit!! Maybe it was a shellfish……hmmmmmm. I am going to have to find out about what I speak of.

214 | December 17, 2009 4:55 pm

@ myselfandi:

Actually, there’s a significant difference between NCIS and CID.

CID agents are military personnel. They wear civilian clothes, and don’t go by their military rank, but they are still in the Army.

NCIS agents are civilian investigators who work for the Navy.

215. song_and_dance_man
    215 | December 17, 2009 4:56 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

And is to many in our day, like Tiger Woods, a fly trap.

216 | December 17, 2009 4:56 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

I believe it was the cuttlefish whose ink was used to make “Tyrian purple.”

There are some who claim they’ve discovered not only the proper fish, but the proper formula; I’ve seen tzitzit made with what is allegedly the techeiles thread.

217. NoThreat2U
    217 | December 17, 2009 4:56 pm

Ohhh I would love to have a conversation with her. Sounds like a plan.

218 | December 17, 2009 4:57 pm

yah wrote:

go to squirrel hill in pittsburgh

My first belly laugh of the day. Thanks.

its wasnt meant to be a joke. but, your welcome

219 | December 17, 2009 4:57 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

Ha!

220. Empire1
    220 | December 17, 2009 4:58 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

@ Empire1:

Which requires a follow-up! If not nations, then what? I would have little if any confidence in governance by something like the UN, that’s for sure!

221. song_and_dance_man
    221 | December 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Nevergiveup wrote:

I forget what the fish is though.

Dead

Succinct be thy name.

222. Eliana
    222 | December 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Cute! :-)

Nice!!

It is the sweetest thing in the world to be at a shul where there are 3 year old boys who are just starting to wear tzitzit. It’s always great to be someplace where they are worn by all the men and the boys, but it tugs at my heart strings (NO pun intended) when I see the really little guys wearing them.

223. NoThreat2U
    223 | December 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Nov. 14 & 21: True Blue/Return of the Hilazon

Why is a debate about a colour so intensely important to some Orthodox Jews? How did the recipe for the true Royal Blue become lost? And what is the Hilazon, the mysterious creature – part fish, part snake – described in the Bible as the source for the dye? Does archaeology hold the answers to these questions?

From the website Naked Archaeologist. The Hilazon.

224. Nevergiveup
    224 | December 17, 2009 4:59 pm

@ Nevergiveup:

The Chilazon is the animal from which the Techelet Dye was obtained by the Ancient Israelites. This animal is supposedly lost, but today some claim to have re-discovered this lost animal. The primary criteria for the chilazon come from the Talmud tract Menachot 44a. There are 4 primary criteria in determining what animal is the Chilazon:

225 | December 17, 2009 4:59 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

Ohhh I would love to have a conversation with her. Sounds like a plan.

i would suggest a saturday morning (11am) at the backdoor tavern in fallston

226. yah
    226 | December 17, 2009 5:00 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

Might cause some scuffles

That will be great for people who have worn out their middle finger.

227. 227 | December 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Eliana wrote:

@ WrathofG-d:
    Wow! This is a buzzsawmonkey level pun!!

When I was in Israel our tour guide told us that there is a special dye used in the robes that the priest wore in the temple that could only be found in snails, according to our tour guide this certain snail starting popping up again about 15 years ago, at least that what he said.

228. bar
    228 | December 17, 2009 5:01 pm

229. NoThreat2U
    229 | December 17, 2009 5:01 pm

but they are still in the Army.

The man we were discussing was a Marine…if that makes any difference.

230. NoThreat2U
    230 | December 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Good food and beer. Sounds good to me. I am a hop skip and a jump from there.

231. yah
    231 | December 17, 2009 5:06 pm

yah wrote:

go to squirrel hill in pittsburgh

My first belly laugh of the day. Thanks.

I looked up Squirrel Hill. Now I get to laugh at myself.
    Though I wouldn’t tell a stranger to go to Squirrel Hill.

232 | December 17, 2009 5:06 pm

@ NoThreat2U:

thats what i figured.

will get details after we are back from south jersey…orthodox christmas at her dads chuch

233. song_and_dance_man
    233 | December 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Eliana wrote:

And the parents of these boys are to be commended for the nurturing that implies their observance.

234. NoThreat2U
    234 | December 17, 2009 5:07 pm

We will all have to do lunch…after we recover (economically and otherwise) from the holiday season.

235. 235 | December 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Today is the 65th anniversary of the massacre of American POWs in Malmedy, Belgium during World War II.

This is a must-read ! It talks about on the resolve of the US Military in WWII in the aftermath of the massacre. Where is our resolve today??

The Malmedy Massacre, December 17, 1944

The Belgian farmer, whose name was Henri Lejoly, was surprised at the nonchalance of the U.S. troops. Standing in the barren field outside of the town of Malmedy on that cold early afternoon in the winter of 1944, they smoked and joked with each other. Some of them had placed their hands on their helmets in a casual token of surrender to the Waffen-SS troops of Kampfgruppe Peiper—the mechanized task force commanded by the brilliant young German Colonel Jochen Peiper—as it passed by, but beyond that they seemed remarkably unconcerned.

The offhand behavior of the roughly 115 U.S. prisoners may have been because the men came from Battery B of the 285th Field Observation Battery. This was an outfit whose job was to spot enemy artillery emplacements and transmit their location to other U.S. units. It had seen relatively little frontline duty and was filled with numerous green replacements.

Most of the SS troops, including Jochen Peiper, had seen extensive duty in the grim killing fields of the Eastern Front. As Kampfgruppe Peiper passed by these Americans, an SS soldier suddenly stood up in the back of his halftrack, aimed his pistol, and fired it twice into a group of U.S. prisoners. One of them crumpled to the ground. Terrified U.S. soldiers in the field suddenly began to run. Then a German machine gun at the back of another halftrack opened up and U.S. prisoners fell screaming to the ground. Within a matter of a few minutes, the field was covered with quickly coagulating pools of blood and writhing bodies. Then the SS men began to walk among the injured and the dead, pistols out.

“A Greater Risk”
    The Battle of the Bulge was the largest battle ever fought in the history of the U.S. infantry and one of the bloodiest battles of World War II, which was the most costly war in human history. The U.S. troops suffered 81,000 casualties, which included 18,000 dead, while their German opponents were hit with 70,000 casualties, including 20,000 dead. The battle lasted forty days in December and January of 1944–45, in atrocious winter weather that was the worst seen in the Ardennes region of Belgium in twenty years, and could easily have resulted in a devastating loss for Allied forces, one that might have stalemated a war that they seemed well on their way to winning.

With all of these matters of great importance, why has so much attention been paid to the killing of eighty-four U.S. soldiers in a small field on December 17, 1944? The Germans of Kampfgruppe Peiper, seventy of whom were convicted in a war crimes tribunal after the war, were surprised—executing prisoners was standard fare on the Eastern Front. So, too, were many U.S. soldiers who had done battle in the Pacific, where the Japanese treated U.S. POWs with casual brutality. Perhaps one reason for the attention paid to the Malmedy Massacre is that many Americans at the time, including, possibly, those of Battery B standing in the field that day, thought that, against the Germans at least, they were fighting a “civilized” war with adversaries who shared the same racial heritage as thousands of GIs.

Another reason for the focus on Malmedy is that, as word spread like wildfire through the U.S. frontline ranks in the immediate aftermath of the killings, U.S. soldiers vowed to take no prisoners. Within a few weeks of Malmedy, one U.S. unit had machine-gunned sixty German prisoners to death in a small Belgian village called Chenogne (see “Death at Chenogne”). As even the official U.S. military history of the Battle of the Bulge states: “It is probable the Germans attempting to surrender in the days immediately following [the killings at Malmedy] ran a greater risk.”

Read the whole thing: http://www.1776mag.com/the-malmedy-massacre-december-17-1944/

236 | December 17, 2009 5:07 pm

@ NoThreat2U:

The important part of that was that NCIS agents are neither. They’re civilian federal agents.

Although I have heard that they’ve been augmenting them with active duty Marines on some installations.

237 | December 17, 2009 5:08 pm

yah wrote:

yah wrote:
    go to squirrel hill in pittsburgh
    My first belly laugh of the day. Thanks.

I looked up Squirrel Hill. Now I get to laugh at myself.
    Though I wouldn’t tell a stranger to go to Squirrel Hill.

murray avenue in squirrel hill has all the kosher butchers, markets, and a very nice temple…very nice area

238. 238 | December 17, 2009 5:08 pm

@ yah:

I’ve always found that a hearty “Fuck you, motherfucker!” will elicit a proper response…

:evil:

239. mawskrat
    239 | December 17, 2009 5:09 pm

the page just refreshed it’s self…is that a new feture?

240 | December 17, 2009 5:11 pm

@ Empire1:
    The UN will definitely be gone! So no worries there. The UN is a weaponless beast that the nations [ with weapons] imbue with power to speak.

I’m not here to proselytized but to answer your question. I believe the lowest/humblest people [through the power of Christ] will govern the renewed earth. No longer will the self exalted and proud ruin everything.

241. Silhouette
    241 | December 17, 2009 5:15 pm

mawskrat wrote:

the page just refreshed it’s self…is that a new feture?

No. Get out of the building. He’s calling from inside the house!

242. NoThreat2U
    242 | December 17, 2009 5:15 pm

That has to be it because from what I gathered throughout the conversation, he is still going to be a Marine.

Thank you for trying to clear that up for me. I have ulterior (but good) motives for trying to understand this.

243. NoThreat2U
    243 | December 17, 2009 5:16 pm

@ Silhouette:
    You are so funny! lol I liked that one!

244. NoThreat2U
    244 | December 17, 2009 5:18 pm

**wondering** Do I wrap the box of chocolates I got for my Mom, or do I eat them my damn self???? This is a tough one.

245 | December 17, 2009 5:20 pm

bbl yinz…

246. 246 | December 17, 2009 5:21 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

Our current command structure would prosecute these soldiers. Our current command, much like Israel’s I’m sad to say, would prefer dead Americans to dead Mohammedans. The America of today could not win the Second World War. The Nazis and the Japanese would take our current rules of engagement and sodomize us to death with them. The only thing saving us is the utter incompetance of our enemy. The only thing saving them is the utter pussification of the West.

247. song_and_dance_man
    247 | December 17, 2009 5:21 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

Your avatar suggests a big NO.

248 | December 17, 2009 5:22 pm

@ waldensianspirit:
    Wish I could edit: I have a hunch Enoch and Elijah will definitely be a part of governance after the renewal. They definitely will usher the renewal.

249. snork
    249 | December 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Silhouette wrote:

But don’t you dare call them stoned-out hippies.

250. NoThreat2U
    250 | December 17, 2009 5:26 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    Aw c’mon!!!!! lol lol lol That aint me!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

251. PrincessNatasha
    251 | December 17, 2009 5:26 pm

I want to make this into a quote and attach it to all my outgoing e-mails.

252. 252 | December 17, 2009 5:29 pm

@ PrincessNatasha:

:-)

253. chickadee
    253 | December 17, 2009 5:31 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

They would win. They would take matters into their own hands and ignore the dangerous traitorous bastards who would put their very lives in danger. And the very existence of this country on the line. When it gets that bad, there will be righteous mutiny against scum like Zero and the rest of them. It is inevitable. For Americans, anyway. Look how that sucker is sinking in the polls. He is NOT going to destroy this country.

254. Empire1
    254 | December 17, 2009 5:34 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

@ Empire1:

And I thank you very much for the answer — I don’t consider that proselytizing at all. And I really like the philosophy involved, that the ones who most want power are the last ones who should have it. (I used that in my Terran Empire fiction, though without the religious component … it’s SF, after all.)

Thanks again!

255 | December 17, 2009 5:38 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

Ed Asner is a terrific actor but as left-wing as you can get. As Casey Stengel used to say “You can look it up”. Hey Vanessa Redgrave is a terrific actress too but a Trotskyite nevertheless -- Sean Penn also is a Red but a great actor.

256. NoThreat2U
    256 | December 17, 2009 5:39 pm

Time to relax and read a book. Have a lovely night yinz guys and thank you for the wonderful conversation. See you all tomorrow :)

257 | December 17, 2009 5:44 pm

BuddyG wrote:

Shatner and Nimoy are both Jewish !

Two out of the four Cartwright’s’ on Bonanza were Jewish

Michael Landon -- Little Joe
    Lorne Green -- Ben Cartwright
    Jews

however
    Pernell Roberts -- Adam Cartwright
    DanBlcoker -- Hoss Cartwright
    not Jews.

258. vagabond trader
    258 | December 17, 2009 5:47 pm

@ Speranza:

Lorne Green?

Funny, he didn’t look Jewish. :-)

259. PrincessNatasha
    259 | December 17, 2009 5:48 pm

I have to go get ready for the differential equations final. I’ll be here tomorrow, chugging my vodka. Maybe the kind admins will put up a drinking thread. ;)

260 | December 17, 2009 5:48 pm

@ Urban Infidel:
    I know all about the Malmedy Massacre. I actually visited the site in 1999 (Belgium) and the massacrea actually did nto take place in Malmedy, it took place at a village/town called Baugnez.

261 | December 17, 2009 5:49 pm

vagabond trader wrote:

Lorne Green?

Funny, he didn’t look Jewish.

He actually was a Canadian Jew.
    Three of the Cartwright’s -- Adam, Ben and Hoss wore rugs too!

262. vagabond trader
    262 | December 17, 2009 5:52 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

The master race.

**spit**

263. vagabond trader
    263 | December 17, 2009 5:55 pm

@ Speranza:

Well damn, couldn’t have a bald Jewish cowboy patriarch could we? I suppose many of the Indians were Jews too, a common occurence in the olden days of Hollywood.

264. jeppo
    264 | December 17, 2009 5:58 pm

Someone plagiarized this post without giving credit to Bob in Breckenridge or the Blogmocracy.

265. 265 | December 17, 2009 5:59 pm

The excerpt continues:

Aftermath of the Massacre

That evening, Pergrin sent back word to 1st Army Headquarters that there had been a massacre of some type at Malmedy. The area around Five Points was so hotly contested that it was not until nearly a month after the massacre, on January 14, that the U.S. army was able to recover the bodies of the 84 men who had been killed in that field. Autopsies conducted on the frozen corpses showed that forty-one men had been shot in the head at close range and another ten had had their heads bashed in with rifle butts. Nine still had their arms raised above their heads.

However, immediately after the massacre occurred and well before the bodies were recovered, the news quickly spread through the GIs fighting for their lives in the Ardennes. As one historian has written, tales of the shootings “enraged the Americans and inspired them to fight with conviction and with little compassion, especially towards the SS….” Although official U.S. military histories deny this, there is strong evidence that U.S. commanders gave orders for the killing of prisoners. Before an attack against the Germans on December 21, four days after the massacre, the headquarters of the 328th Infantry sent out an order that read, in part: “No SS troops or paratroopers will be taken prisoner but will be shot on sight.”

We need to win wars, not bow down and kiss our enemy’s asses

266. kansas
    266 | December 17, 2009 6:04 pm

Jeebus, how long can it go on?

Why I Left the Right, Exhibit T for Theocracy

Yeah, like a Muslim Theocracy is going to be better. Poultry sexual abuse alert.

267. 267 | December 17, 2009 6:17 pm

@ Urban Infidel:
    Silhouette wrote:

mawskrat wrote:
    the page just refreshed it’s self…is that a new feture?
    No. Get out of the building. He’s calling from inside the house!

LOL

268. jakee308
    268 | December 17, 2009 6:19 pm

@ kansas:
    Can the great lizardbreathed one even grow a beard or mustache? Is the pony tail an overcompensation. I always laughed at the hippies with hair down to their shoulders and a wispy little mustache or goatee that looked like the pubic hair of a 10 year old.

269. texasam7