Poll: American Dream Dead

by snork ( 67 Comments › )
Filed under Polls at March 16th, 2010 - 5:00 am

This is an indicator of the foul mood of the American public. In a poll performed by Xavier University, more people surveyed were pessimistic about the next generation achieving “the American dream” than optimistic. The details are illuminating:

The data shows that “people are losing faith” in the idea that they can achieve whatever they set their mind to, said a release put out by Xavier’s Institute for Politics and the American Dream.

But outlooks were most grim among white respondents – only 29 percent of whites surveyed said the American Dream was in good condition, compared with 48 percent who said it is in bad condition.

Among black Americans, 39 percent were optimistic about achieving the American Dream, with 35 percent pessimistic. Latinos were optimistic by a 37 percent to 36 percent margin, and non-white’s were positive by 36 percent to 35 percent.

So if you’re unwhite, you’re as likely to be optimistic as not. But if you’re white, life is a bitch, and then you die. This has the makings of some serious shit.

Despite their pessimism, 67 percent of those surveyed said they are still confident they can achieve the American Dream in their lifetime, compared to 32 percent who said they are not confident.

Only 23 percent said it will be easier for the next generation to achieve the American Dream, while 68 percent said it will harder.

There’s a peculiar psychology that causes people to be more optimistic about themselves than other people. But there seems to be a broad consensus  that things are going to be harder for the next generation.

Next stop: the “crisis of confidence” speech.

Tags:

Comments

67 Responses to “Poll: American Dream Dead”

1. mawskrat
    1 | March 16, 2010 5:05 am

well if yah think it’s dead and our country is doomed
    you might as well lay down and die

2. Buckeye Abroad
    2 | March 16, 2010 5:29 am

1. mawskrat

I won’t die, but simply go “Galt.” When the producers and wealth generators stop, the whole house of cards the socialist utopias are based on crumble. I never heard of willing slaves. I saw this morning Obama scapegoating insurance companies-- scapegoating becomes the reflexive action of failed administrations.

3. Buckeye Abroad
    3 | March 16, 2010 5:35 am

OT: ‘I’d rather employ a paedophile than a hero’: Company boss compares British troops to child molesters in rant at job agency

‘Anybody who has been in the pay of such a military force, and by their silence and complicity has condoned such illegal and immoral actions while accepting a monthly bloodstained pay-packet , certainly won’t be considered for employment by us.’

I good and wise friend of mine, who was a Nam vet, told me as I was getting close to graduating from OSU that I should drop off my military service on my resumes when sending out applications. He said HR deparments are usually loaded with liberals who will chuck your CV into the trash once they read that you’re a vet and your application would never get to the right hands.

4. 4 | March 16, 2010 5:36 am

The ‘American Dream’ is to live in freedom where-in the government guards our G-d given rights.

So, yes it’s on its’ death bed.

5. 5 | March 16, 2010 5:39 am

@ Buckeye Abroad:

Would it not be simply horrible if some tragedy was to befall Webeurope?

6. mfhorn
    6 | March 16, 2010 5:42 am

Is pessimism any surprise, given the message we’ve been given by the left wing media & politicians over the last generation or so? More & more people are being conditioned to think the only path to success is through government largess. ‘Affirmative action’, while noble in its intent, became a path towards equality of outcome, not equality of standard.

Census forms arrive this week! Be sure to put as your race ‘Native American’, as long as you were born here. If the canvassers come around and question you, it should be an insult, even if you’re a pasty white boy like I am.

7. 7 | March 16, 2010 5:46 am

@ Buckeye Abroad:
    Here’s the company website. Scroll down and look at the bottom left graphic. This man needs to be boycotted hard.

8. 8 | March 16, 2010 5:47 am

@ PaladinPhil:

Didga see the IDA logo, whacko.

9. S the Elder
    9 | March 16, 2010 5:48 am

@ mfhorn:

I just received mine and been thinking about how to fill it out…I think I will be answering “American” for almost every answer with regards to race/origin.

10. 10 | March 16, 2010 5:49 am

@ PaladinPhil:

It changes on each refresh, rotating looney.

11. 11 | March 16, 2010 5:50 am

@ PaladinPhil:
    Ummm, oops? Apparently there is a different image and link every time you refresh the page. The one I saw went to “bigcampaign.org”. A boycotter of Israeli goods. After a few page refreshes and seeing some of the organizations that they “support”, I wouldn’t want to work for the company at all. Full blown moonbatitis.

12. Buckeye Abroad
    12 | March 16, 2010 5:50 am

@ PaladinPhil:

Nice catch as I didn’t look at the website. Oh, he hates Israel. Colour me shocked.

13. 13 | March 16, 2010 5:53 am

@ PaladinPhil:

I clicked on the action AID ’6 things you can do’, hmmm, ‘keep yer pecker out of yer buddies a$$’ didn’t make the list.

14. mfhorn
    14 | March 16, 2010 5:53 am

@ Buckeye Abroad:

I wish I was in Taunton so I could boycott that fool.

15. Buckeye Abroad
    15 | March 16, 2010 5:53 am

5. BenZ

Hey bud!

Would it not be simply horrible if some tragedy was to befall Webeurope?

Tragic.

16. 16 | March 16, 2010 5:56 am

@ Buckeye Abroad:

Hey yerself, I’ll send pix of Hannahs’ first BDay party on this coming Saturday.

17. mfhorn
    17 | March 16, 2010 5:56 am

@ S the Elder:

I’d thought of answering ‘American’ or even ‘Human’, but they’ll send the canvassers around to check on those. ‘Native American’ is already an option, and I don’t know that they’d dare question anyone who answered one of the ‘acceptable’ answers or not.

18. Buckeye Abroad
    18 | March 16, 2010 5:56 am

14. mfhorn

Hmmmm. I wonder if there is a local veteran organization in the area who be interested in seeing that? Be a shame if they should lose business.

19. 19 | March 16, 2010 6:00 am

@ mfhorn:

Self identification of genetic heritage is a hall mark of the left.

If you watch the PBS program where they track the genetic heritage of participants you’ll see that they never change their identification from ‘black’ to ‘white’ when they see the results.

20. mfhorn
    20 | March 16, 2010 6:03 am

@ BenZacharia:

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post, but I’m only identifying myself as a native-BORN American. There’s not a drop of ‘native American’ blood in me, I’m just trying to screw with the results of questions they’ve got no business asking. But if I either don’t answer, or go with ‘American’ or ‘human’, then I’ll have someone from the census bureau coming around to find out what THEY think I am, and I’ll be down as ‘white’ or ‘caucasian’ or ‘European-American’ or ‘evi,l right wing, homophobic, Christian, AGW-denying racist’ or whatever the canvasser decides to put down.

21. 21 | March 16, 2010 6:06 am

@ mfhorn:

I understood you. I was saying that self identification, for whatever reason, is you right.

22. S the Elder
    22 | March 16, 2010 6:06 am

@ mfhorn:

I only see “American Indian”…there is a spot for “Some other race” and then you print your race…although, under “American Indian” it asks for “enrolled or principal tribe”…I could have fun with that.

23. 23 | March 16, 2010 6:06 am

@ mfhorn:

You lrft out birther.

24. 24 | March 16, 2010 6:07 am

@ S the Elder:

Atlanta Braves? Cleveland Indians?

25. 25 | March 16, 2010 6:08 am

@ mfhorn:
    I always tell people that I am Canadian as origin and nationality. I was born here, my grandparents were born here etc, etc, etc. I may have European ancestry but I am a Canadian citizen born and raised.

26. mfhorn
    26 | March 16, 2010 6:11 am

@ BenZacharia:

DANG! I knew I’d miss something!

27. 27 | March 16, 2010 6:12 am

Just because Obama is running the country into an economic collapse domestically and a nuclear war in foreign policy doesn’t mean things won’t be better for the next generation of Americans. Um, well, it isn’t too rosey, but, hey, were finally post-racial, and you are a racist if you deny that…

28. mfhorn
    28 | March 16, 2010 6:12 am

@ S the Elder:

I guess ‘Some other race’ will become ‘Native American’. Rats. That probable means a visit from the canvasser, unless they think that I don’t approve of ‘American Indian’ as a racial identifier.

29. vagabond trader
    29 | March 16, 2010 6:13 am

@ S the Elder:

Last census we had a live in person canvasser. Ruined her whole day by answering I was Hebrew American. :D

30. mfhorn
    30 | March 16, 2010 6:13 am

Hmm. Since I’m from the midwest, could I put ‘Central American’?

31. S the Elder
    31 | March 16, 2010 6:19 am

vagabond trader wrote:

@ S the Elder:

why…after this many generations…should anyone be identified by race is counter-productive. The question should be “are you native American?”…if not, where were you born? The census should be only to determine how many “native Americans” there are and how many immigrants we have. Either you were born here or not.

32. bluliner10
    32 | March 16, 2010 6:22 am

mfhorn wrote:

Hmm. Since I’m from the midwest, could I put ‘Central American’?

you could claim flyoverese. From flyoverland or flyover American…wonder if that is on the census?

33. S the Elder
    33 | March 16, 2010 6:23 am

From the cover letter of the census form:

“Your answers are important. Census results are used to decide the number of representatives each state has in the US congress. The amount of government money your neighborhood receives also depends on these answers. That money is used for services for children and the elderly, roads, and many other local needs”

If that’s what it’s for, why would race matter other than a general curiosity?

34. vagabond trader
    34 | March 16, 2010 6:25 am

@ S the Elder:

Why that sounds raaaaacist///

35. mfhorn
    35 | March 16, 2010 6:27 am

S the Elder wrote:

From the cover letter of the census form:
    “The amount of government money your neighborhood receives also depends on these answers. That money is used for services for children and the elderly, roads, and many other local needs”

And just what is the Constitutional authority for that? Yeah, I know. Silly me. The Obamessiah said that’s the problem with the Constitution- it doesn’t say what the government MUST do for you. And yes, I realize ‘goverment money for your neighborhood’ has been a rationale for garbage like this for decades.

36. S the Elder
    36 | March 16, 2010 6:33 am

@ mfhorn:

there is an authority for the Census…my point is…what does my race have to do with the money spent in my neighborhood?

37. mfhorn
    37 | March 16, 2010 6:35 am

@ S the Elder:

Absolutely there’s an authority for the census- for apportioning seats to the House. Race, as you said, isn’t (or shouldn’t be) a part of it. But neither is spending money.

38. 38 | March 16, 2010 6:35 am

For clarity

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand*, but each State shall have at Least one Representative…

*We need more reps, current ratio is 700,000:1

39. 39 | March 16, 2010 6:40 am

In Honor of tomorrows festival, and the American Dream:

“Polski-Vania” Sung to the Tune of Pennsylvania

Polski-Vania Polski-Vania,
    Hyphenated is your name,
    Still clinging to parochial worldviews
    The Irish first they came
    The Marxist’s labor insurrection was born here,
    Where heavy industry died

Chorus

Polski-Vania Polski-Vania.
    May your entitlement addled population’s pension funds collapse

Polski-Vania Polski-Vania
    Cursed by serfs from Old Europe
    From grievances and lack of understanding
    Of the responsibilities of free men
    Where PBS first sought funding
    To promote their Gramscian plan

Chorus

Polski-Vania Polski-Vania
    May your entitlement addled population’s pension funds’ collapse.

40. vagabond trader
    40 | March 16, 2010 6:41 am

Just when you thought the Ds can’t possibly sink any lower. They do. Babies as he11care props.Its for the children.©

41. mfhorn
    41 | March 16, 2010 6:43 am

@ BenZacharia:

I agree & I disagree that we need more representatives. It’ll bring each one closer to their constituents, so they MIGHT start paying more attention. On the other hand, adding more Congresscritters would mean a HUGE in funding for them & their staff and would probably mean more opportunity for each one to have to pay off all their different constituencies.

42. vagabond trader
    42 | March 16, 2010 6:53 am

@ BenZacharia:

Speak for yourself Ben.:-) The last thing we need in CT is another Marxist who has nothing but contempt for voters who oppose their agenda.

43. 43 | March 16, 2010 6:53 am

@ mfhorn:

It would get too huge. Imagin if there were 1000 congresscritters as opposed to the 435 that there are now. You’d still have the same few who actually do anything (good or bad), but a lot more oppertunity for people to annomously feather their nest with pork. Pork buys job security in Congress. That is why Obama had no trouble passing Porkzilla. You’ll notice that that is the only legislation he has gotten through. It’d just be worse with more congresscritters feeding out of the same trough.

44. 44 | March 16, 2010 6:55 am

@ mfhorn:

On the other hand, adding more Congresscritters would mean a HUGE in funding for them & their staff…

Au contraire mon frere, if they want staff they can hire and pay them out of their own pockets. And as for offices, let them have one in their own house, just like the first ones.

The United States Constitution doesn’t entitle them to anything they have now.

45. 45 | March 16, 2010 6:58 am

It would bankrupt the lobbyists.

46. S the Elder
    46 | March 16, 2010 6:58 am

on the other hand…more members would disperse the power more and create more opportunities for more diverse and independent voices and representation.

47. 47 | March 16, 2010 7:01 am

@ S the Elder:

The Founders in their wisdom wanted the reps closer to their constituents.

Remember it was the Progressives that set the limits on the number of reps. On that point alone Patriots everywhere should seek its’ overturn.

48. 48 | March 16, 2010 7:04 am

A little background on 30,000:1

49. kansas
    49 | March 16, 2010 7:05 am

S the Elder wrote:

@ mfhorn:

If you are in a white neighborhood the only money involved will be coming from it, not going to it.

50. 50 | March 16, 2010 7:05 am

My Generation really is screwed. Almost no one I know is making good money or even close to having what their parents had. At my age I’m making 40% less than what my Mom made. I’m barely above water.

The Baby Boomers will be the first generation to leave a poorer America.

51. 51 | March 16, 2010 7:09 am

Iron..

TN has 132 legislators, NH has 400 and CA has 80. Which state has the most freedom?

52. 52 | March 16, 2010 7:11 am

The Baby Boomers will be the first generation to leave a poorer America.

Poverty is a symptom, tyranny is the cause.

53. 53 | March 16, 2010 7:15 am

@ BenZacharia:

Poverty is a symptom, tyranny is the cause.

I agree 100%!
    I’m not poor but hate it my generation doesn’t have the economic opportunities the previous did. This is a new form of Feudalism created by the Progressives.

54. 54 | March 16, 2010 7:18 am

I saw a graph years ago tied to the size of the American government and deficits. It’s in the book “Expanded Universe” by Robert Heinlein. Very frightening if you took that graph and extended it to the present day. The graph only goes to about 1970 or 80.

55. vagabond trader
    55 | March 16, 2010 7:23 am

Not all boomers are to blame. We tried, worked hard and followed the rules.Maybe we shouldn’t have.Husbands retirement not looking so cushy. :-(

56. 56 | March 16, 2010 7:27 am

@ PaladinPhil:

I hope you are not equating government with governance. When the ration was 30,000:1 the government was much smaller and didn’t have dept and deficits that were permanent.

The national dept in 1926 was $16 per person. In 2005 it was $8,000.

57. 57 | March 16, 2010 7:30 am

@ vagabond trader:

No, not all Baby Boomers. Just the Progressives.

58. 58 | March 16, 2010 7:41 am

@ BenZacharia:
    I am talking government employees, or civil servants.

59. S the Elder
    59 | March 16, 2010 7:42 am

vagabond trader wrote:

Let’s not forget…we are individually responsible for our own success/failure. No one is to blame…this is still a land of opportunity and as soon as we start to blame someone else, we become democrats…

60. S the Elder
    60 | March 16, 2010 7:44 am

@ S the Elder:

If you find yourself facing higher hurdles…then you better learn to jump higher…

61. 61 | March 16, 2010 7:51 am

Is the “American Dream’ dead? If it’s not, it’s in a coma and it will take more eloquent speeches an hollow rhetoric to revive it.

If I may quote myself from a piece with relation to my own situation:

“Lest you think this is whining; it’s not. It is a lament that I am sure resonates with many in my age group. We were the generation that created the “youth-worship” that we still see today and it has resulted in our being “tossed to the curb”.

We created the means of our own destruction by elevating youth above experience and wisdom, and now we reap the whirlwind. Collectively, we have dealt a serious blow to the “American Dream”; perhaps a mortal one.”

In my former position, I reviewed resumes and applications, many of them from young college graduates. Many couldn’t spell or construct a coherent sentence. They seemingly had no knowledge of punctuation and many completed their online applications in either all upper case letters, or all lower case letters. They sent me follow-up emails that began like “hey, this is linda, how r u?”. WTF is in their heads? We have an increasingly uneducated populace, regardless of educational levels.

I desperately want to still believe in the “American Dream”, but it’s more difficult by the day. The lack of basic common sense that exists in America today is astounding; from the White House and Congress, to GM, Chrysler, and the financial industry.

Does manufacturing cars, at a loss of $1,400 per unit, make any sense at all? Does making loans to people with no money, for things they obviously cannot afford make any sense? Does ramming through a health care bill, in spite of the overwhelming objections of the American people make any sense? Does paying generations generations of welfare recipients to make more babies, thus perpetuating the trend, make any sense?

I’m sure that to the political hacks in Washington, and the clueless MBAs that inhabit corporate America, this all makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, it is WE, the American people, who must pick up the tab for their foolishness.

The foundations of the “American Dream” are work, accomplishment and reward. The sense of entitlement that has fallen over our country is eroding those foundations like an acidic fog.

We have forgotten our history, and the sacrifices of our forebears. That loss of memory may well spell our undoing.

62 | March 16, 2010 7:53 am

bluliner10 wrote:

mfhorn wrote:

Hmm. Since I’m from the midwest, could I put ‘Central American’?

Ich bin ein Jesusländer!

63. vapig
    63 | March 16, 2010 8:27 am

mfhorn wrote:

Got mine yesterday (the noninvasive one) and filled out race as “other” and wrote in Native America -- on account I was borned here! I answered the same in 2000.

64. 64 | March 16, 2010 8:36 am

@ vagabond trader:

I sometimes feel that I should have tried to be a middle marketeer in cocaine. The bennies are there, but retirement’s a bitch :twisted:

65. Buckeye Abroad
    65 | March 16, 2010 8:41 am

60. s the elder

Thats cute, but stop jumping to the hurdle setters tune would be smarter. You can try and get his hand out of your pocket for starters.

66. 66 | March 16, 2010 9:08 am

@ S the Elder:
    @ S the Elder:

Uh, very inspirational but one size does not always fit all. Learning to “jump higher” is not always an option. Personally, I took a much lowwer paying job, because I’m a producer, not a taker. My reward? I’m making still tax payments to the IRS for income that I earned years ago. Why couldn’t I pay them at the time? Because I didn’t have the income….because I took a lower paying job.

Now, I’m finding myself unemployed, at 57, with health issues, and I’m still making payments to the IRS. Thank God my wife has a great health care plan.

Some people’s problems are systemic and not personal, and I wouldn’t be so quick to issue inspirational plattitudes as solutions. In my state, unemployment is at 10.7% and I’m competing against 30 year-olds.

Wanna trade places?

67. Guggi
    67 | March 16, 2010 9:58 am

@ MacDuff:

…I’m competing against 30 year-olds.

In Europe you would compete with 20-year-olds. Jobless people in Europe older than 35 years barely can find a job (regardless of their education).

That’s why Germany has developed a system of “social welfare” and job payment. Stupid. Employers pay so low wages that the government has to pay additional welfare otherwise the people coudn’t survive.

Euro 600 to 650/month (before taxes and social insurance) for a 45 to 48 hours work week are not unusual.