Dimocrat Staffer: Constituent calls are “harassment”

by Bob in Breckenridge ( 81 Comments › )
Filed under Barack Obama, Democratic Party, Free Speech, Liberal Fascism, Politics, Progressives at March 24th, 2010 - 5:30 pm

The arrogance of these liberal scumbags is breathtaking…

Posted By Capitol Confidential On March 19, 2010

Yesterday, I decided to call Rep. John Garamendi’s (D-CA) office in Washington, D.C. He’s my representative and I wanted to voice my opposition to the Senate Health Care Bill. I spoke with a female staffer and politely told her that, while I support health care reform, I oppose the Senate Bill because it wasn’t true “reform.” She said the Congressman thinks it’s a good bill and that he campaigned on health care reform. I told her I knew that. I also mentioned that I voted for him. When I tried to give her specific reasons why the Senate Bill would harm our system rather than reform it, she refused to listen. She said she was very busy and hung up on me. Being the persistent person that I am, I kept calling back. Each time I tried to finish my point, she hung up.

I called one more time. This time she said, “If you call one more time, we will notify Capital Police.” I asked why my conduct warranted involving federal law enforcement agents. She said I was “harassing” her. I tried to explain that trying to convince a representative to change his or her vote didn’t constitute “harassment.” Before I could fully explain, she hung up again.

I called back. This time, I asked to speak to her supervisor in order to report her repeated hanging up as well as the threat she made. I was placed on hold. Thinking I was holding for her supervisor, I was shocked when a Federal Agent with the Capital Police picked-up the telephone.

[...]

Read the whole article here: The Heat is On: Congressman’s Office Says Constituent Calls Are ‘Harassment’ (and be sure to read the comments!)

Tags: , ,

Comments

81 Responses to “Dimocrat Staffer: Constituent calls are “harassment””

1. 1 | March 24, 2010 5:34 pm

Shut up!

Shut up! Shut up!

Shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup!

[/Democrats to constituents]

2. 2 | March 24, 2010 5:34 pm

I hope you aren’t calling from jail

3. chickadee
    3 | March 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Somewhere along the line these assholes have assumed the role of royalty and completely forgotten that they are our hired help. We need to fore them all.

4. chickadee
    4 | March 24, 2010 5:41 pm

LOL,
    FIRE them all

5. snork
    5 | March 24, 2010 5:42 pm

@ teacake:
    This was a lawyer who wrote this. In the end, he got his way. But read how it ends. The takeaway question is, how many non-lawyer constituents were actually intimidated by this minor totalitarian apparatchik.

6. snork
    6 | March 24, 2010 5:45 pm

And I’m sure this minor totalitarian apparatchik was operating under orders from, and with the full knowledge of the major totalitarian apparatchik, a.k.a. congressman Garamendi.

7. mfhorn
    7 | March 24, 2010 5:45 pm

Disgusting. Our congresscritters have far too much of a mindset that they know best, and that we should just sit down, shut up, and let them run the show without having to listen to us.

Let’s give the vast majority of the House & Senate a pink slip. Replace RINO’s like McCain with conservative leaders. Replace plastic faced nutcases like Pelosi with someone who actually has active brain cells. And make Obama a lame duck 2 years before he gets sent packing.

8 | March 24, 2010 5:50 pm

@ mfhorn:

If Ayn Rand was still with us , she would have every right to say
    “I told you so.”

9. SciFiGuy
    9 | March 24, 2010 5:56 pm

And when they have the compliance of the supposed “police” in harassment of the citizenry, it only goes down hill from there..

10. orangecrush
    10 | March 24, 2010 5:56 pm

As a former government worker who dealt with the public I tend to place this caller in the category of someone who needs to be hung up on.

Persistent usually meant unstable or realistic and you would waste taxpayer dollars spending too much time with gadflys only interested in jamming the system up so no work can get done. There are 3 ring binders that need to be managed.

My approach was to always give the person the benefit of the doubts regarding of how unfocused, angry, or demeaning they were when they called. If someone was polite and pleasant and reasonable I would make my best effort to provide them a solution and follow up. If someone was like this guy, I would give him the solution but would be unlikely to provide any follow up or further assistance to him even though he wanted to boost the issue to the President. Get real.

Some people don’t want an answer they just want to see how much of your time they can waste.

That being said, any politician worth his/her salt today can put up a facebook discussion group and interact directly with a concerned taxpayer. But even in that venue you will find trolls trying to hide as reasonable people. If I was a senator I would want my staff not to leave anyone hanging. There are plenty of ways to reach out to people.

11. snork
    11 | March 24, 2010 5:57 pm

If Ayn Rand was still with us , she would have every right to say
    “I told you so.”

She also knows what’s waiting for us.

12. wolfie
    12 | March 24, 2010 5:58 pm

I must say that I haven’t had a nasty run-in like this when calling either of my “moderate” Democrat Senators. But then, their staffs don’t bother to answer the phone at all.

13. snork
    13 | March 24, 2010 5:58 pm

orangecrush wrote:

You didn’t read the whole thing, did you?

14 | March 24, 2010 6:01 pm

@ snork:
    She also knows what’s waiting for us

True , if we don’t change it. We are in some serious trouble.

15. SciFiGuy
    15 | March 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Time for a constitutional amendment on term limits (12 years total), no retirement, and all government members must comply 100% with the laws that they pass. No Bill can be more than 50 pages in length and must be written at a 4th grade reading level.

I know its low, but the commentators at KOS and LGF have to be able to comprehend it???

16. orangecrush
    16 | March 24, 2010 6:05 pm

Where the Senators office made a mistake here suggesting that people calling them are harassing them. Ask him his main point, write it down, get his address, fill out the form letter, print it, show it to the Senator quickly, mail it back to the complainer.

I just saw NBC news also complaining that there is violence in the air around the health care opponents.

Politicians will only listen to money, bad press, and votes. Probably in that order. Letters and emails fall short unless they are overwhelming. But the noise ratio is so high these days, communications from the little noisy people are discarded whenever possible. (Just sent two letters to Senators yesterday)

That being said. Failure to defuse will lead to explosions.

17 | March 24, 2010 6:06 pm

@ SciFiGuy:

LGF! That’s some bad crazy, butt hurt, bite me stuff.

18. orangecrush
    18 | March 24, 2010 6:07 pm

@ snork:
    Ah yes I did, I am prejudiced I think and cynical from having to deal with too many agitated constituents.

19. mfhorn
    19 | March 24, 2010 6:08 pm

@ SciFiGuy:

Also need to ban them from lobbying their former colleagues for an equal number of years.

20 | March 24, 2010 6:08 pm

orangecrush wrote:

Fake, but accurate?

21. 21 | March 24, 2010 6:08 pm

OT
    but not really OT either…

I came across some more Oblabla Street ARt in Brooklyn and I offer it to you, the viewer for your viewing pleasure.

22. orangecrush
    22 | March 24, 2010 6:09 pm

@ 13 snork: I think the main point there is that the democrats are trying to demonize anyone that disagrees with them and put them in a bad light. I don’t disagree with that.

23. orangecrush
    23 | March 24, 2010 6:11 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey: Yes, there does seem to be a media undercurrent anxious to project violence onto the health care debate dissenters. Brian Williams on the news seemed very horrified. lol

24. snowcrash
    24 | March 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Nice, political staffers are threatening us with “the police” if we don’t stop calling them. They know the average person, me, doesn’t want to deal with police. They know people like me just go away if we don’t know what the exact law means. Between the corruption of the process and the intimidation, they are destroying the average Americans faith in the goverment doing what is best for the people. It is disgusting.

25. wolfie
    25 | March 24, 2010 6:13 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

Aaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuggghhhhh!

26. orangecrush
    26 | March 24, 2010 6:17 pm

When I man the phones for a politician and someone calls me up and says I voted for you, but….. My eyes just roll to the back of my head. Please speak your piece and get off the phone. In return for this insincere call we will tell you we care but we really don’t. It carries more weight (if any) to state exactly how you voted. Or better make a valid point in a letter without stating the voting preference and enclose $10.

I think the better approach is to start a blog and a mini movement cross linked to people of a similar mind. Facebook would probably do. Wield votes and money in common cause with some fellow patriots.

27 | March 24, 2010 6:19 pm
    @ snowcrash:
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Jefferson was right. They are now using the means of coersion against the populace, the police & the IRS etc. This is a generational fight , for our children ,grandchildren & beyond

28. 28 | March 24, 2010 6:20 pm

wolfie wrote:

@ Urban Infidel:
    Aaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuggghhhhh!

I would go out of my mind if I had to look at that every single day!

29. Geepers
    29 | March 24, 2010 6:20 pm

This is pretty consistent with what I saw over the weekend. We spent several hours in the Cannon House Office Building. You could tell who was voting for and against the bill simply by their actions. Those that were “no” votes had their doors open and were willing to answer questions. Those voting for this piece of crap had their doors closed, wouldn’t answer and often had their mail slots taped shut.

Also, I finally got the several hundred pictures I took whittled down and edited. You can view them here: Washington Health Care 3-22-10

30 | March 24, 2010 6:25 pm

@ Geepers:

Great pictures & your comments about whose doors were open is very
    telling.
    Honestly,I think that when Liberals studied Marx in Philosophy they considered it enlightenment. Many are now Democrat lawmakers.

31. wolfie
    31 | March 24, 2010 6:30 pm

@ Geepers:

Nice photos! Thanks, Geepers!

32. Eliana
    32 | March 24, 2010 6:31 pm

@ orangecrush:

Brian Williams on the news seemed very horrified.

Brian Williams raises his eyebrows two feet in the air to give a sense of drama to the news.

He might as well starting screaming while he’s reading the news.

33. wolfie
    33 | March 24, 2010 6:31 pm

Geepers wrote:

…often had their mail slots taped shut.

Whoa. That takes indifference and arrogance to a whole new level.

34. 34 | March 24, 2010 6:31 pm

@ Geepers:
    What an unruly and angry mob!

…wish I was there :)

35. 35 | March 24, 2010 6:31 pm

@ Geepers:
    Great pictures & your comments about whose doors were open is very
    telling.

Once Socialism takes hold, it’s a hard habit to break. I have a very bad feeling about the future of our republic.

36. Eliana
    36 | March 24, 2010 6:33 pm

@ MacDuff:

If Americans were like Europeans, we’d still be over there instead of being here.

Americans won’t go quietly into the Zerogulag.

37. wolfie
    37 | March 24, 2010 6:33 pm

@ Eliana:

I don’t know how anyone can possibly take him seriously since that time he bowed to Obama! :lol:

38 | March 24, 2010 6:34 pm

Hannity just had a clip of John Conyers on & he was asked what in the Constitution granted the right for this Healthcare Bill.
    He said the “Good Welfare Clause” WTF?

39. Geepers
    39 | March 24, 2010 6:35 pm

wolfie (#33),

Yeah, but they’d have been better off just putting a trash can behind the slot since many people were tapping there letters to the door.

40 | March 24, 2010 6:37 pm

@ MacDuff:

MacDuff I agree with you , but we have to turn this around.

41. Eliana
    41 | March 24, 2010 6:38 pm

@ wolfie:

I hadn’t heard about this. I’m gonna be sick…

42. Overlook
    42 | March 24, 2010 6:39 pm

There is a moral distinction between needling and harassment.
    Needling is an art form. The caller is a master.

43. Geepers
    43 | March 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Urban Infidel (#34),

What an unruly and angry mob!

I was actually suprised by how many young people that I would consider hippies that were there.

I also talked to several people who basically said this: “After 20 years of sitting home and complaining I had to come here to protest this.”

44. mjazz
    44 | March 24, 2010 6:43 pm

O’Reilly had Weiner on and asked him 5 (five) times if the IRS was going to enforce the law if someone didn’t get health insurance.
    Weiner never answered the question.

45. Beltfed
    45 | March 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Eliana @ 41:

WTF was that all about, we are bowing to that piece of shit now.

Good grief what have 52 per cent of this once great nation done.

46. 46 | March 24, 2010 6:51 pm

@ Geepers:
    Thank God freedom-loving Americans are waking up. It’s not too late. November is going to be memorable. Bank on it. And the Dems know it.

47. chickadee
    47 | March 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Eliana wrote:

@ wolfie:

I hadn’t heard about this. I’m gonna be sick…

Brian Williams is so star struck over that sleazy grifter. Zero owns these idiots.
    They really are his slaves.

48. wolfie
    48 | March 24, 2010 6:52 pm

He said the “Good Welfare Clause” WTF?

He means the phrase ” to promote the general welfare” which appears in the preamble to the Constitution, not in the body of the law. A standard piece of leftist bull.

If the federal government can do anything it likes “to promote the general welfare,” then it can do anything it likes period. What politician ever did anything that he didn’t claim was promoting the “general welfare?” (Mao, Stalin, Hitler, and Pol Pot included.)

49. snowcrash
    49 | March 24, 2010 6:53 pm

@ mjazz:
    I saw that segment. Oooh did Weinner throw a hissy fit or what? If it wasn’t so sad, it would be funny.

50 | March 24, 2010 6:54 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

@ Geepers:

That’s exactly right & the Tea Partiers & the Town Hall people prove it.
    We can turn this around, but so much damage is being done.

51. chickadee
    51 | March 24, 2010 6:54 pm

Geepers wrote:

Urban Infidel (#34),

What an unruly and angry mob!

That’s why I have hope for America. People who were never involved in politics are waking from their slumber, sensing danger and realizing that conservatives have the answers.

52. Geepers
    52 | March 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Urban Infidel (#46),

November is going to be memorable. Bank on it.

Absolutely. Nobody in that crowd was going to go home and cry. They will be working harder that ever to get these charlatans out of office.

53. wolfie
    53 | March 24, 2010 6:55 pm

@ Eliana:

PS- Thanks for finding the video, Eliana!

54. mjazz
    54 | March 24, 2010 6:57 pm

snowcrash wrote:

@ mjazz:

Yeah, he got ticked off and looked away for a few seconds.
    He refused to answer the question.

55. 55 | March 24, 2010 6:57 pm

Eliana wrote:

Americans won’t go quietly into the Zerogulag.

I pray to the Almighty that He can save us, as He has done so many times in the past. His Great Hand has guided us, and protected us since our beginnings, He has inspired us to greatness, and has helped us along our path.

His name is on our money, His laws are in our courts, yet many of us have turned against Him and have denied that the very fact that we have survived intact is a result of Him.

May He show us the way and give us strength for we are beseiged from within and without.

56. chickadee
    56 | March 24, 2010 7:00 pm

wolfie wrote:

He said the “Good Welfare Clause” WTF?

Exactly. If we don’t stop them, soon they won’t even feel the need to refer to the Constitution to awkwardly justify their power grabs.
    “Good Welfare Clause” Our founding fathers having stopped turning over in their graves and are now just praying 24/7.

57. Eliana
    57 | March 24, 2010 7:00 pm

@ MacDuff:

Amen!

58. wolfie
    58 | March 24, 2010 7:00 pm

@ MacDuff:

Amen.

59. mjazz
    59 | March 24, 2010 7:00 pm

@ MacDuff:
    I think it’s not so much many of us have turned against Him as many Americans were never for Him to begin with.

60. taxfreekiller
    60 | March 24, 2010 7:05 pm

First,,,Democrat Commies.

Second,,,RINO Enablers,, Linsey Graham, John McCain.

Two Party Evil Money Cult

Fight Back

ps

Snow in the Texas Panhandle tonight,, the Canadian River bottom is a blizzard now. March 23, 2010, in honor of one of the lead liars Al Gore.

61 | March 24, 2010 7:06 pm

Here is our template

William Ernest Henley. 1849–1903

7. Invictus

OUT of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance 5
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade, 10
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate: 15
    I am the captain of my soul.

62. snork
    62 | March 24, 2010 7:15 pm

Yertle’s gone totally comic book, ain’t he?

63. 63 | March 24, 2010 7:23 pm

At the close of the Constitutional Convention in 1787, Dr. James McHenry, a Maryland delegate, followed Benjamin Franklin from Independence Hall. He recorded a question asked by a lady, directed at Dr. Franklin.

The lady asked, “Well Doctor, what have we got? A republic or a monarchy?”

“A republic,” replied Dr. Franklin, “if you can keep it.”

Indeed. The stuggle to keep it will be the most difficult challenge we have faced since the Civil War. Our enemy is an intoxicating ideology, foreign to the American experience, that is being embraced by those who purport to represent us. Extricating this cancer will not be easy and may shake the very foundations of our republic.

Many of us have forgotten what liberty is; they have confused it with freedom. Liberty assumes that individuals take responsibility, and that responsibility guarantees our freedom. When we turn over our responsibility to the government, we lose our freedom.

64 | March 24, 2010 7:25 pm

snork wrote:

Yertle’s gone totally comic book, ain’t he?

He’s immature, he is in to comic books & video games.

65. Poteen
    65 | March 24, 2010 7:25 pm

That’ll be the inscription on the Celtic Cross over me when I’m dead.
    The same thing for my Christmas cards this year.
    I think I’ll even send one to the Pudgy Plucker. :)

66. Bob in Breckenridge
    66 | March 24, 2010 7:26 pm

It would really be hilarious if, after The Zero™ embarrassed the Supreme Court in his State of the Union address by scolding the conservative justices for upholding freedom of speech, that the Supreme Court came back and ruled his health care bill unconstitutional… :)

67 | March 24, 2010 7:31 pm

<a href="#comment-313356" title="Go to comment of this

author”>Poteen

wrote:

That’ll be the inscription on the Celtic Cross over me when I’m dead.
    The same thing for my Christmas cards this year.
    I think I’ll even send one to the Pudgy Plucker.

Celtic cross, all of my family has them as grave markers & I will too.
    Lots of Claddah rings too.
    We can beat BHO & these Socialists. Our people didn’t come from Europe for this. God bless America.

68. Beltfed
    68 | March 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Emperor Jones Obama.

69. 69 | March 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Bob in Breckenridge wrote:

That would be F*&kinG great!
    /Biden

70 | March 24, 2010 7:32 pm

@ Bob in Breckenridge:
    He shouldn’t have dissed the Court.

71 | March 24, 2010 7:34 pm

Good night all.

72. 72 | March 24, 2010 7:36 pm

Here is our template
    William Ernest Henley. 1849–1903
    7. Invictus
    OUT of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance 5
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.
    Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade, 10
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate: 15
    I am the captain of my soul.

RIX, thanks for posting that. I’m feeling a bit glum this evening, as you may have noticed, and that was quite inspirational.

73 | March 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Couldn’t help himself. He’s high on power and is extrinsically compelled to take on the SCOTUS to reach his ruin-America goals. The SCOTUS has to be altered for his agenda.

74. chickadee
    74 | March 24, 2010 7:49 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

He’s so disgusting when he’s high on power. Looking down his nose at everyone.
    He really thinks he’s a king. Telling us us how it’s going to be in OUR country.

75. Poteen
    75 | March 24, 2010 7:53 pm

I think it will get worse before it gets better. Krauthammer said something to the effect that this is not the beginning of the end, it is simply the end. Profligate spending is endangering our economic prominence. If it doesn’t turn quickly we are going under, economically and influentially. We will take most of the world under with us. From there, history’s lessons must be retaught. That has been and shall likely be,,,bloody.

76. 76 | March 24, 2010 7:53 pm

@ chickadee:

He thinks he’s a 3rd World dictator.

77. Beltfed
    77 | March 24, 2010 8:03 pm

Why do I think this is so freaking wrong. The government in charge of it’s citizens medical records ????

And hackers waiting in line to tap into them. Climate gate emails ????

Health Plan May Expose Medical Records to Hackers, Experts Fear

But privacy advocates fear that the speed at which the government is moving to digitize records will increase the risk of medical identity theft, and they are concerned about what the government will do once it has access to Americans’ medical history.

78. Macker
    78 | March 24, 2010 8:37 pm

@ MacDuff:

SO SAY WE ALL!

79 | March 24, 2010 8:41 pm

@ Beltfed:

And hackers waiting in line to tap into them. Climate gate emails ????

There’s already a story about once a month about one government agency or another “losing” tens of thousands or millions of files containing personal information. And what about the periodic stories about employees accessing the passport files of celebrities and that sort of thing?

It won’t be any different once they have everyone’s medical records.

80. 80 | March 25, 2010 9:05 am

[...] Dimocrat Staffer: Constituent calls are “harassment” › 2.0: The Blogmocracy [...]

81. 81 | March 26, 2010 2:15 pm

[...] Dimocrat Staffer: Constituent calls &#1072r&#1077 “harassment” › 2.0: T&#1211&#1077 … [...]