Can you spare $5 to support our troops?

by Bob in Breckenridge ( 48 Comments › )
Filed under Free Speech, Military, Music, Open thread, Patriotism at April 1st, 2010 - 2:10 pm

A very noble effort to help support our (U.S.) troops in the remote areas of Afghanistan is being carried out by Peter King, NFL writer for Sports Illustrated and an NBC Football analyst, and John Ondrasik.

Ondrasik is a conservative, and the creative force behind the band “Five For Fighting” (And he actually has a boatload of talent, unlike a certain washed-up ukulele playing pony-tailed douchebag)

We’re raising money through the U.S.O. to supply gaming systems (Play stations, X Boxes, etc.), DVD players, athletic equipment, snacks, furniture, and tons more.

All we’re asking for is $5 for our fighting men and women, hence the borrowed name from John Ondrasik’s band “Five For Fighting”.

If you don’t know who John Ondrasik and his band “Five For Fighting” are, here’s his wikipedia bio (Wiki rules- You are free to Share—to copy, distribute and transmit the work) followed by one of his videos, “100 Years”…

Five for Fighting is the stage name of American singer-songwriter John Ondrasik.

In 2008 Ondrasik wrote and recorded the song “Brothers in Arms” for the award winning documentary film Brothers at War. “Brothers at War is an honest glimpse into the reality of our troops and their families. I wrote the song two hours after seeing the film,” Ondrasik said. “The final production you hear is the demo I recorded that night in my living room, accompanied by a string section Lee Holdridge composed and directed a year later.” Ondrasik collaborated with the film’s production team of Jake Rademacher (Director/Producer), Norman Powell (Producer), Gary Sinise (Executive Producer) and David Scantling (Executive Producer) on the project.

Ondrasik, under the auspices of the USO, performed for service members on a USO/Armed Forces Entertainment tour of Guantanamo Bay and other bases in Cuba in February/March 2007. He followed up with another USO tour in November 2007 of Japan, Guam and Hawaii. “I am struck by the sacrifices the troops and their families make for our way of life and I felt was important to show my support,” says Ondrasik.

In November 2007, Ondrasik coordinated the release of 13 free songs for US military members called CD for the Troops. Ondrasik worked with AAFES to deliver more than 200,000 CDs to US troops around the globe and to offer the music from the CD as free MP3 downloads from www.aafes.com. The songs donated include:

* Billy Joel – Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
* Brooks and Dunn – “Keep on Swinging”
* Five for Fighting – “100 Years”
* The Fray – “How to Save a Life”
* Gary Sinise and the Lt. Dan Band – “Sweet Home Chicago”
* Goo Goo Dolls – “Feel the Silence (Remix)”
* Jewel – “Hands”
* Josh Groban – “February Song”
* Los Lonely Boys – “Heaven”
* Maroon 5 – “She Will Be Loved”
* Nik Kershaw – “Wouldn’t It Be Good”
* Melissa Etheridge – “Come to My Window”
* Montgomery Gentry – “My Town”
* The Neville Brothers – “Brothers”
* Sarah McLachlan – “Wintersong”

Any US military member is eligible to download the music through AAFES.

In November 2008, Ondrasik released another free CD for US military members. “CD for the Troops II” has 14 free songs and was released on Thanksgiving Day. 200,000 CD’s were pressed for the release and will again be available online at www.aafes.com. The songs donated include:

* 3 Doors Down – When I’m Gone
* Daughtry – Home
* Five for Fighting – Freedom Never Cries
* Good Charlotte – I Don’t Want To Be In Love
* Gretchen Wilson – California Girls
* Isaac Hayes – Theme From Shaft
* Joe Perry – Shakin’ My Cage
* Josh Groban – Machine
* Jude – I Think It’s Time
* Keith Urban – Everybody
* Maroon 5 – Won’t Go Home Without You
* Roy Orbison – In Dreams
* Alan Jackson – Where I Come From
* Trace Adkins – Fightin’ Words

In November 2009, a third installment of the “For the Troops” compilations was released. The tracks donated for “Stand Up for the Troops” (all of the contributions are from comedians save for Ondrasik’s):

* Chris Rock – “The Big Piece of Chicken”
* Dennis Miller – “The Week in Review”
* Adam Sandler – “Lunch Lady Land”
* Ray Romano – “Bachelor Party/Juice/Potato Chips”
* Jeff Foxworthy – “Have Your Loved Ones Spayed or Neutered”
* Dana Carvey – “Parenting”
* Matt Iseman – “Dungeons and Dragons/Like a Good Neighbor”
* Kevin Nealon – “Shut that Party Down”
* Kevin James – “Greeting Cards”
* John Ondrasik – “Brothers in Arms” (from the documentary “Brothers at War”)

The singer’s ongoing support of servicemen and women, and his dedication to his own wife and children, even led to him receiving a special fatherhood award from the National Fatherhood Initiative’s 2009 Military Fatherhood Award Ceremony.

Please click here to donate $5…

And yes, I did donate $5, well a little more…But all we’re asking for is $5…

Dear Mr. Cooper,

The USO gratefully acknowledges your generous contribution. Your support, together with that of other loyal donors, helps us continue to provide critical services to the men and women of our Armed Forces and their families. Contributions to the USO are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by federal law.

Your donation reference number is: USO ***728.
Please save this email for your records.

Tags:

Comments

48 Responses to “Can you spare $5 to support our troops?”

1. vagabond trader
    1 | April 1, 2010 2:19 pm

Done. Great organization.

2 | April 1, 2010 2:29 pm

I’m on their mailing list.
    I give what I can a couple of times a year. :grin:

3. 3 | April 1, 2010 2:31 pm

This is a good post Bob!

4 | April 1, 2010 2:33 pm

Good effort Bob! I’m in. When I was in the Army in Thailand I spent plenty of quality time at the USO. I spent my non-quality time elsewhere.

5 | April 1, 2010 2:52 pm

the troops own the land…send them some gear.

golf in the dmz

do take a moment to watch this.

6. myselfandi
    6 | April 1, 2010 2:54 pm

Gary Sinise and the Lt. Dan Band – “Sweet Home Chicago”
    I really got a get a copy of that.

7. Bob in Breckenridge
    7 | April 1, 2010 3:01 pm

myselfandi wrote:

Gary Sinise and the Lt. Dan Band – “Sweet Home Chicago”
    I really got a get a copy of that.

Here’s a youtube video-

8. myselfandi
    8 | April 1, 2010 3:02 pm

something else the men and women in the desert like. Flea collars. they put them around their socks/boots/pant legs to keep away the sand fleas.

9. Nevergiveup
    9 | April 1, 2010 3:02 pm

the troops own the land…send them some gear.

golf in the dmz

do take a moment to watch this.

That’s great

10 | April 1, 2010 3:04 pm

Nevergiveup wrote:

the troops own the land…send them some gear.
    golf in the dmz
    do take a moment to watch this.

That’s great

it is good stuff.

one day i’ll write a post about the us army berlin golf and country club, funny stuff

11. Nevergiveup
    11 | April 1, 2010 3:06 pm

Nevergiveup wrote:

the troops own the land…send them some gear.
    golf in the dmz
    do take a moment to watch this.

That’s great

it is good stuff.

They have a small golf course up on the Sub base in Groton- probably under water right now. It’s a tad safer than the one in S. Korea

12 | April 1, 2010 3:07 pm

That was a great vid and I’m not even a golfer. I don’t remember what year it was but the MPs sent some guys to trim a tree in the DMZ and the NORKs killed 1 or 2 of them. The next day the MPs went in at battalion strength and cut down the whole friggin tree. It was a big incident at the time.

13 | April 1, 2010 3:10 pm

afghan golf

14. Rorschach
    14 | April 1, 2010 3:13 pm

great cause. go troops!

a musician that agrees with me = smart
    a musician that disagrees with me = stupid?

15 | April 1, 2010 3:16 pm

huckfunn wrote:

there is a name for that incident…i dont remember it tho.

16. Nevergiveup
    16 | April 1, 2010 3:19 pm

huckfunn wrote:

there is a name for that incident…i dont remember it tho.

That was 5-10 years ago I think. The animals attacked with hatchets if I remember correctly

17. LGoPs
    17 | April 1, 2010 3:20 pm

I think we need to start a fund to provide outrigger-type stabilizers to keep our Pacific outposts from capsizing.

18. LGoPs
    18 | April 1, 2010 3:21 pm

Nevergiveup wrote:

huckfunn wrote:
    there is a name for that incident…i dont remember it tho.

I remember it being back in ’78 or so. I remember because I was in ROTC when it happened and my instructors talked about it.

19 | April 1, 2010 3:21 pm

LGoPs wrote:

omg…you heard that too!

what an idiot!

20. snowcrash
    20 | April 1, 2010 3:22 pm

@ LGoPs:
    LOL. No new troops on Guam!

21. Nevergiveup
    21 | April 1, 2010 3:22 pm

LGoPs wrote:

How come Gaza hasn’t fallen into the sea?

22. Nevergiveup
    22 | April 1, 2010 3:22 pm

LGoPs wrote:

Nevergiveup wrote:

huckfunn wrote:
    there is a name for that incident…i dont remember it tho.

I remember it being back in ‘78 or so. I remember because I was in ROTC when it happened and my instructors talked about it.

Maybe, as ya get older, it all seems like yesterday

23 | April 1, 2010 3:24 pm

@ Nevergiveup:

meh…you were only off by 30 years….30…years

24. Nevergiveup
    24 | April 1, 2010 3:24 pm

LGoPs wrote:

Did they ship alot of Marines to Rhode Island? I hear it capsized?

25. Nevergiveup
    25 | April 1, 2010 3:25 pm

@ Nevergiveup:

meh…you were only off by 30 years….30…years

Nah the ax incident wasn’t that long ago? Was it?

26. Eliana
    26 | April 1, 2010 3:27 pm

Wonderful thread post!

I’m in.

27. Nevergiveup
    27 | April 1, 2010 3:28 pm

Nevergiveup wrote:

@ Nevergiveup:

meh…you were only off by 30 years….30…years

Nah the ax incident wasn’t that long ago? Was it?

Shit it was. Agh

28 | April 1, 2010 3:29 pm

@ Nevergiveup:

29. myselfandi
    29 | April 1, 2010 3:29 pm

LGoPs wrote:

But will a capsize change the migratory patterns of great white sharks?

30. myselfandi
    30 | April 1, 2010 3:30 pm

snowcrash wrote:

@ LGoPs:
    LOL. No new troops on Guam!

FREE GUAM

31. snowcrash
    31 | April 1, 2010 3:32 pm

@ myselfandi:
    When I first heard it, I thought it was an April Fools day joke, until I just saw the moron (another Johnson) on Fox News.

32. mawskrat
    32 | April 1, 2010 3:35 pm

a song for those that can’t spare a dime I meen 5 bucks

33. Nevergiveup
    33 | April 1, 2010 3:36 pm

snowcrash wrote:

@ myselfandi:

Ya can’t make shit like that up

34. BatGuano
    34 | April 1, 2010 3:40 pm

You may laugh but hasn’t everyone at some time mistaken an island for a raft?
    No? Never mind.

35. LGoPs
    35 | April 1, 2010 3:41 pm

I’ve decided to give the distinguished representative -- the Honorable Hank “Where the fuck did I leave my bong” Johnson -- not only respect for his title, which I am sure he worked so hard to get, but also the benefit of the doubt that what he was really talking about with CinCPAC was the size of the hat he wears. With a brain the size of a planet, he would necessarily be very aware of his capsize……..

36 | April 1, 2010 3:45 pm

LGoPs wrote:

I’ve decided to give the distinguished representative – the Honorable Hank “Where the fuck did I leave my bong” Johnson – not only respect for his title, which I am sure he worked so hard to get, but also the benefit of the doubt that what he was really talking about with CinCPAC was the size of the hat he wears. With a brain the size of a planet, he would necessarily be very aware of his capsize……..

that was CINCPAC in the chair!!!

37. snowcrash
    37 | April 1, 2010 3:45 pm

@ Nevergiveup:
    When the Admiral said “we don’t anticipate that” about Guam tipping over, I cracked up.

38 | April 1, 2010 3:49 pm

I guess Rep. Johnson read Malcolm Gladwell’s “The Tipping Point,” but didn’t understand it.

39. LGoPs
    39 | April 1, 2010 3:57 pm

LGoPs wrote:
    that was CINCPAC in the chair!!!

I think so. The description I heard of him was that he was Commander of Naval Forces in the Pacific……

40. LGoPs
    40 | April 1, 2010 3:58 pm

I’ll bet the stupid bastard saw Avatar and was thinking about the mountains floating in the clouds and figured islands work the same way.

41 | April 1, 2010 3:59 pm

@ LGoPs:

thad’d be CINCPAC

42. LGoPs
    42 | April 1, 2010 3:59 pm

BatGuano wrote:

You may laugh but hasn’t everyone at some time mistaken an island for a raft?
    No? Never mind.

Heh.

43 | April 1, 2010 4:01 pm

Look at it this way, folks—Rep. Johnson is the replacement for Cynthia McKinney.

44 | April 1, 2010 4:07 pm

huckfunn wrote:

there is a name for that incident…i dont remember it tho.

Nevergiveup wrote:

@ Nevergiveup:
    meh…you were only off by 30 years….30…years

Nah the ax incident wasn’t that long ago? Was it?

My ‘puter locked up and I couldn’t get anything done. Here it is: The Axe Murder Incident and Operation Paul Bunyan.

45. BatGuano
    45 | April 1, 2010 4:08 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

Excellent point. I do miss Cynthia for her entertainment value. Sadly, they are/were in the House of Representatives.

46. snork
    46 | April 1, 2010 4:39 pm

BatGuano wrote:

I do miss Cynthia for her entertainment value.

And you don’t think Hank is equally entertaining?

47. BatGuano
    47 | April 1, 2010 4:57 pm

@ snork:
    Oh, yeah! I look for much more to come from Mr. Hanky!

48. 48 | April 3, 2010 2:48 am