Polish President Lech Kaczynski likely dead ‘in plane crash’ in Russia

by Bob in Breckenridge ( 31 Comments › )
Filed under Poland, Russia at April 10th, 2010 - 11:40 am

A plane carrying Polish President Lech Kaczynski has crashed near a Russian airport, officials say.
Russian media reported that 87 people were killed in the crash near Smolensk, and a regional governor was quoted as saying there were no survivors.
Polish officials said Mr Kaczynski was on board along with his wife Maria and several senior government figures. They were in Russia to mark the 70th anniversary of the Katyn massacre, when the Soviets killed thousands of Poles.
The BBC’s Adam Easton in Warsaw says the crash is a catastrophe for the Polish people. He says Prime Minister Donald Tusk was reportedly in tears when he was told.
Plane ‘hit trees’
The Russian emergencies ministry told Itar-Tass news agency the plane crashed at 1056 Moscow time (0656 GMT).
Ministry spokeswoman Irina Andrianova said it had been flying from Moscow to Smolensk, but had no details on the identities of those killed.

Different stories from Itar-Tass news agency:
Auth confirm all aboard Polish pres plane die in crash

One “black box” from crashed Polish presidential liner found

97 people die in Tu-154 air crash near Smolensk – Shoigu

Polish Army commanders die in plane crash in Smolensk Reg

Tags:

Comments

31 Responses to “Polish President Lech Kaczynski likely dead ‘in plane crash’ in Russia”

1. snork
    1 | April 10, 2010 11:42 am

I’d like to say that I smell foul play, but Occam’s razor says very bad landing weather + scary Russian airplane = disaster.

Sorry, Ron Brown conspiracy types.

2. Macker
    2 | April 10, 2010 11:44 am

“Likely” dead? Hmmm…I’d drop the “likely” part.

Today, we are all Poles.

3 | April 10, 2010 11:45 am

pilot error, sadly.

we are all Poles today.

4. 4 | April 10, 2010 11:47 am

This is really sad. It was Poland that helped bring down the Iron curtain. God Bless the Polish people.

5 | April 10, 2010 11:47 am

Too many government officials on one plane.
    Horrible tragedy.

6. vagabond trader
    6 | April 10, 2010 11:50 am

Too many government officials on one plane.

Depends on what government.

7 | April 10, 2010 11:54 am

looks like atc advised the pilot not to land because of fog…advised them to divert.

8 | April 10, 2010 11:55 am

vagabond trader wrote:

Too many government officials on one plane.
    Depends on what government.

i had thought the same thing…

9 | April 10, 2010 11:56 am

vagabond trader
    6 | April 10, 2010 11:50

Depends on what government

I take your point. If the Iranian government suffered this kind of disaster & it sparked a popular uprising…………..

10. m
    10 | April 10, 2010 11:57 am

Bob, if you’re around do you think you could grab the link? I used lines and keep coming up with different stories about the same thing but they don’t match all the way.

11. calcajun
    11 | April 10, 2010 11:58 am

All I can say is “damn”. No jumping to any conspiracy conclusions as there’s no evidence to even suggest such a thing.

12. vagabond trader
    12 | April 10, 2010 12:00 pm

Not meaning these folks of course. Just my eeeevil mind at work.Apologies to those easily offended.

13 | April 10, 2010 12:05 pm

vagabond trader wrote:

I was not offended & I knew that you did not refer to these people.
    You were talking about evil individuals responsible for mass slaughter.

14 | April 10, 2010 12:06 pm

See ya later

15 | April 10, 2010 12:15 pm

This is depressing. So far at least it does appear to be weather/pilot error related. I pray it is not something else. Fox has live stream from Belvedere Palace in Warsaw of mourners…

16. bellamags
    16 | April 10, 2010 12:43 pm

“Reflecting the grave sensibilities of the crash to relations between the two countries, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin personally assumed charge of the investigation.”

17. 17 | April 10, 2010 1:25 pm

I really think the quote marks in the title should be removed. fwiw.

18. bellamags
    18 | April 10, 2010 1:36 pm

19. 20 | April 10, 2010 2:09 pm

@ bellamags:
    ok, i love a good conspiracy theory because it’s like a mystery to unravel but…. Putin invited Tusk not Kaczynski. Tusk went in a chartered aircraft. Kaczynski and all these others were on the plane that crashed. Kacynski had announced that he would seek re-election and his opponent was from Tusks party. and the plane had been overhauled in Russia in Dec. ok. i have a teeny bit of suspicion.

but then again, it was an ancient tupulov.

21 | April 10, 2010 2:26 pm

@ Kirly:

but then again, it was an ancient tupulov.

You couldn’t pay me enough to get on one of those things.

One of the colonels in my unit was in charge of recruitment for the new Afghan army when he was over there a couple years ago. They gave him a leased MI-7 helicopter and third-country crew to use for traveling around the country.

He had some interesting stories.

21. 22 | April 10, 2010 2:34 pm

I worked in Avionics for nearly 2 decades in Douglas, Airbus, and Boeing aircraft. We always heard stories from folks traveling in eastern europe about what we called “aeroflop”. no way i’d get into one of those.

22. Mashiki
    23 | April 10, 2010 2:35 pm

@ snork:
    I’d normally agree, but when aviation expert supreme Vladmimir Putin has stated he will be personally leading the investigation my WTF alarm goes off.

23. orangecrush
    24 | April 10, 2010 2:40 pm

Safety 10 years ago on Russian planes was not a high priority. Russians are still inflicted with communist logic and a lot their planes fly on a wing and a prayer.

One could bribe guards with cigarettes openly. The Russian planes I rode in had old knotted ropes as escape chutes. There was plywood installed in parts of the planes. The passenger was a commodity and not a customer.

I look for Rahm Emanuel to take advantage of this situation.

24. orangecrush
    25 | April 10, 2010 2:41 pm

@ 23 Mashiki: That has to make Obama jealous.

26 | April 10, 2010 2:42 pm

@ Mashiki:

Obama said almost the same thing about that mine disaster in West Virginia.

The first thing I thought was, “Don’t you have a few other things you should be worried about at the moment? I’m sure the people who are actually in charge of such things can do their jobs just fine without you sticking your nose into it.”

27 | April 10, 2010 2:44 pm

@ orangecrush:

Imagine what it must be like to fly on a Russian plane operated by an Islamic country.

I don’t want to fly on anything where “Inshallah” is part of the maintenance people’s vocabulary.

27. 28 | April 10, 2010 2:47 pm

i thought that same thing about that damn control freak.

28. 29 | April 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Mashiki wrote:

While I’m not necesarily crying “conspiracy”, the whole matter makes me ruffle my brow, and Putin immediately stepping in as “investigator extraordinaire” does not smoothe the ruffles.

Putin is a man to keep one’s eye on at all times; he literally capable of anything.

29. 30 | April 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Was this particular plane being operated by an Islamic country? Just askin’.

31 | April 10, 2010 5:47 pm