Cracks in the Great Wall

by coldwarrior ( 78 Comments › )
Filed under China, Economy at September 1st, 2010 - 11:30 am

It always seemed to me that China and their amazing growth numbers seemed somewhat questionable. I have always had a sneaking suspicion that the Chinese would run out of steam just like the Japanese did in the late 1980′s. So now there is some evidence that the Chinese ‘miracle’ may come to an end after 30 years of growth:

BEIJING — Three numbers should suffice to give Chinese economic policymakers a sleepless night: 65.4 million, $28.7 billion and $2.45 trillion.

In order, they are the estimate by a government researcher of how many apartments stand vacant in China, many of them bought as speculative investments; the country’s trade surplus in July; and the international reserves the central bank has accumulated by buying dollars to hold down the yuan.

Together, they encapsulate the distortions of an economy that favors investment by suppressing the cost of capital and other inputs at the expense of consumers, whose spending power is held down by low wages and low deposit rates.

Unable to sell at home all that it produces, China exports the rest…

…This template has powered 30 years of headlong growth that is catapulting China past Japan to become the world’s largest economy after the United States.

But it is a formula that Beijing readily agrees is unsustainable: China needs to rely more on household spending, especially as its export prospects are darkening now that the West is tightening its belt to purge excess debt.

Many experts are confident that a pragmatic China will succeed in making the transition in the coming decade to a new growth model anchored by urban-based consumption, technological upgrading and a greater role for market forces.

Please, read the rest, its an excellent article!

Buy buying dollars, the Chinese have managed to hold down the value of their Yuan. By forcing the value of the Yuan down, this makes exports, especially to the US, cheaper and more marketable. In effect, this is the Chinese exporting unemployment. The problem with an imbalance as noted in the article is that as the West and America tighten their belts and consume less, the export market in China can crash, leading to  unemployment and other economic problems. The trick for the Chinese is to increase domestic consumption, which is going to be a problem because of the resistance of the entrenched interests and the desire of the Party to retain control.

This situation is something to keep an eye on. Watch for the term ‘China Trap’ to start making its way around the economic circles.

Tags: ,

Comments

78 Responses to “Cracks in the Great Wall”

1. snork
    1 | September 1, 2010 11:46 am

I think they’re taking a breather while they sort their various bubbles out. Their eastern cities are borderline developed, but their interior has much more potential for development.

I do believe however that in 2100, looking back, this will have been India’s century.

With a surplus of young males, it could get ugly though.

2. 2 | September 1, 2010 11:49 am

Factor in as well, rampant corruption, identity theft, and their own housing bubble. When the bubble pops it’s going to lead to a cascade downstream that’s going to be pretty interesting to view.

3. Erik The Red
    3 | September 1, 2010 11:54 am

PaladinPhil wrote:

Your brother is there 2P, what does he say is going on?

4. 4 | September 1, 2010 11:59 am

@ Erik The Red:
    Things are getting a little ugly job wise. There’s starting to be a spread among the haves and have nots. Some of the issues he has mentioned to me are from his experiences are those he knows.

5. Erik The Red
    5 | September 1, 2010 12:08 pm

PaladinPhil wrote:

@ Erik The Red:

I have a very good mate that is in manufacturing. He is in China at least twice a year. He has told me that there are so many factories/Towns that have just closed.

6. danrudy
    6 | September 1, 2010 12:17 pm

Hmm,,,my brothers who own a manufacturing plant here in USA ( yes,,,they still exist here) but who also import from China me that there have been problems with Chinese factories filling orders as factories have troubles keeping employees. Big problem….will lead to higher wages for sure and it is already happening. This will be reflected downstream and make chinese products less affordable and other places (viet Nam or someone else) steps in to become cheaper than China.

Should I be shorting CHina?
    Anyone here in the financial industry with thoughts on the subject?

7. Macker
    7 | September 1, 2010 12:22 pm

@ danrudy:

Some time in the future, they’ll run out of Communist countries to turn to for cheap labor….

8. 8 | September 1, 2010 12:33 pm

China Trap or Obama trap, wherever boot heels press on necks, it seems all tyrannts abhore an exchange of liqudity and free will (velocity in exchange) for their central planning power (stagnation).

So simple even Joe the Plumber can do it, but not an Ivey League big shitty stinker

9 | September 1, 2010 12:40 pm

@ Scott Madsen:

excellent point.

10. snork
    10 | September 1, 2010 12:49 pm

danrudy wrote:

Until their transportation infrastructure out to the boonies improves. Then they’ll build more factories out in the boons. Kinda like what happened in the US. What other than hats are made in Brooklyn any more?

11. snork
    11 | September 1, 2010 12:51 pm

Macker wrote:

@ danrudy:

Not for a century, anyway. I expect to see cheap crap from Zimbabwe in the dollar stores in my lifetime. If there still is a US dollar, anyway.

12. danrudy
    12 | September 1, 2010 1:08 pm

@ snork:

Actually, the trend has been to build the factories in the Boons now and the factories in the cities are having trouble finding people. There has been a major shift to building out in rural areas….they are trying to build roads to get there.

Factory is plastic advertising specialties. Make vinyl products. Same stuff can be made in China and is but much stuff they still make here.
    Of course, government is trying to ban plastic products (since they are not environmentally friendly) and they view this as a bigger threat then China. Imagine that…more industry will get shut down here because of yet another stupid government regulation while the rest of the world is free to use the same substances we ban.

13. F
    13 | September 1, 2010 1:13 pm

The one factor that changes the whole economic equation in China’s favor with respects to Japan, the People’s Army.

The “newfound” evangelical push to replace the dollar with the Chinese Yuan as the world’s benchmark currency is going to be as successful as the push for the Japanese Yen was. The one wrinkle now is the power the Oil Ticks have regarding the commodity they sell.

14. m
    14 | September 1, 2010 1:14 pm

Don’t shoot me CW, but you guys know you can’t live without knowing that

Bristol Palin Heads Up ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Cast

15. snork
    15 | September 1, 2010 1:15 pm

F wrote:

This is where the Chinese are buggering it. I read that they were building coal liquefaction plants, but at a rather anemic pace. They should be going ball to the walls.

Central planning. It sucks there, too.

16. F
    16 | September 1, 2010 1:16 pm

m wrote:

Don’t shoot me CW, but you guys know you can’t live without knowing that
    Bristol Palin Heads Up ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Cast

*YAWN*

What a diaper load.

(shoots self)

17. F
    17 | September 1, 2010 1:18 pm

snork wrote:

F wrote:

Central planning. It sucks there, too.

Like with Barry we are doing any better? Thanks to his drilling moratorium he handed the Oil Ticks a guaranteed inroad into our economy that will crash it from within.

18 | September 1, 2010 1:19 pm

WTF?

34 Charles Wed, Sep 1, 2010 9:58:18am replyquote

* 1
    * down
    * up

They’re threatening to kill LGF commenters at the stalker blog again.

19. F
    19 | September 1, 2010 1:21 pm

@ The Osprey:
    And SChmuckie conveniently forgets Luddie’s rants about killing anyone who opposes his “enlightened” agenda.

20. tanker on the horizon
    20 | September 1, 2010 1:24 pm

@ The Osprey:

A cite from Internet Manson would be helpful.

21. m
    21 | September 1, 2010 1:25 pm

@ The Osprey:

Say what?

22. 22 | September 1, 2010 1:26 pm

@ The Osprey:
    I am willing to bet that’s a general statement without a link to the actual statement.

23. F
    23 | September 1, 2010 1:27 pm

@ tanker on the horizon:
    @ m:
    Hey, it’s SChmuckie’s word against the truth…which do you think the butt cult minions will believe?

24. 24 | September 1, 2010 1:29 pm

@ snork:

The Male/Female ratio is a real problem for China, and for the world. Those males will go looking for females. It is a biological imperitive. It is built into their genes. And those females simply do not exist. Not on that scale. It will make the coming decades interesting for the breeding population. It is certainly a huge excess population for China to siphon off into their military, a traditional outlet for unmarriagable males in most cultures (certainly in Chinese culture: think Mongol Horde). Yes, interesting times. Everybody still think abortion on demand is a good thing for society?

25. 25 | September 1, 2010 1:31 pm

The Osprey wrote:

They’re threatening to kill LGF commenters at the stalker blog again.

Looks like someone’s dropped a few dots of the brown acid again.

26. 26 | September 1, 2010 1:32 pm

@ The Osprey:

I think I scared them. Poor Chuckles and Lewd Wig. Did I say something mean? Heh. I bet they are wetting their beds, but I didn’t threaten to kill anyone. I offered some tips on knife fighting, and I offered to fight Lewd Wig any time he felt like making his violent fantasys come true, but I offered a ring and a referree and specifically promised not to kill him. I bet he wet the bed…

27. 27 | September 1, 2010 1:32 pm

Ah crap. #25 is not the Osprey’s quote directly, it’s the Lizard Lord’s quote. Apologies to Osprey for my clumsiness

28. 28 | September 1, 2010 1:33 pm

@ m:

I’ve already told Velvet Glove. She is thrilled. I need vodka…

29. snork
    29 | September 1, 2010 1:33 pm

@ The Osprey:
    Oh, lord. Bang! Bang! You’re dead! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

30. snork
    30 | September 1, 2010 1:34 pm

tanker on the horizon wrote:

A cite from Internet Manson would be helpful.

But he never goes to “the stalker blog”. For all you know, he’s talking about Ace.

31. snork
    31 | September 1, 2010 1:37 pm

@ snork:

What it’s likely to result in is war. They could literally lose tens of millions of servicemen in a war, and still end up with too many men. If I were Taiwanese I’d have my bags packed, and if I were Japanese, I’d mess my pants. Payback for Nanking could make Hiroshima look like a picnic.

32. F
    32 | September 1, 2010 1:38 pm

snork wrote:

tanker on the horizon wrote:

A cite from Internet Manson would be helpful.

He may never go to “the stalker blog”, yeah riiiiiight, but he knows in intimate detail what goes on outside his bubble blog, he just tries to control everyone else knowing.

33. 33 | September 1, 2010 1:40 pm

@ snork:

Oh, I spoke to him directly. Like I said, I bet he wet his pants. But I didn’t threaten to ill anybody. I don’ tknow about you, but I find his reaction freaking hilarious. People on drugs are paranoid, you know :evil:

34. Bagua
    34 | September 1, 2010 1:41 pm

The Osprey wrote:

WTF?
    34 Charles Wed, Sep 1, 2010 9:58:18am replyquote
    * 1
    * down
    * up
    They’re threatening to kill LGF commenters at the stalker blog again.

Really? Where?

35. 35 | September 1, 2010 1:44 pm

@ snork:

Yeah, that is my take, and China is gearing up to fight us. Our nuclear “deterrant” means shit if they know we won’t use it, and after sucking up 9-11 without going nuclear I doubt anyone believes we will use it unless maybe they actually :nuke an American city themselves. China has no reason to do that as long as they have a huge numerical superiority and the fight by the Old Western way of war. Especially with us addicted to this hippy-dippy kinder-gentler bullshit. They are looking for an empire in the South Pacific, and they’ll fight us to get it. I don’t know if they’d be eying Austrailia, but Japan sure was back when…

36. Bagua
    36 | September 1, 2010 1:45 pm

@ The Osprey:

Link to the comment please.

37. F
    37 | September 1, 2010 1:47 pm

Barry has made it quite clear he wants to unilaterally get rid of our nuclear deterrence, no matter what.

38. 38 | September 1, 2010 1:49 pm

@ Bagua:

Probably this one. As you can see, I specifically said I wouldn’t kill him. This is a death threat in Chuckles messed-up (drug induced, IMHO) mind.

39. 39 | September 1, 2010 1:49 pm

I don’t know if they’d be eying Austrailia, but Japan sure was back when…

Australia is as vulnerable to nuclear attack as is Japan. Mostly desert with all the people hugging the coast.

Whereas someone would have to use a LOT of nukes to defeat Russia or China, or the US. So many that even if they won, the nuclear wasteland wouldn’t be worth occupying.

40. snork
    40 | September 1, 2010 1:49 pm

F wrote:

@ The Osprey:

True ’nuff. And said commenter also suggested disenfranchising a demographic heavy in minorities with a poll test.

Hi Chuck! Care to defend that? It’s still on your stinking blog.

41. 41 | September 1, 2010 1:50 pm

@ F:

Yeah, I know. One of the reasons we may never fully recover from his disasterous presidency no matter who wins in 2012. He’s going to have two more years to fuck us up, and I think he intends to get full value for his fucking.

42. 42 | September 1, 2010 1:53 pm

@ Zimriel:

Yeah. I don’t think the Aussies could fight China conventionally if China landed a million man army on her beaches. The Aussies have some of the strictest gun control (down to knives and swords) in the world. Here, the Chinese would face a sniper behind every rock. Austrailia, not so much. They don’t have the sea power to launch such an invasion today, but boats can be built, and the building of them provides employment for even more of that excess population…

43. Bagua
    43 | September 1, 2010 1:53 pm

He’s welome, any time he feels man enough, to try and actually do something about his violent little fantasies. I can arrange a ring, referrees, we can fight by UFC rules, hell, I’ll promise not to kill him, blind him, or geld him (my vision ain’t good enough to geld him, anyway :P ). Any day of the week he’s feeling tough, we can set this up. Of course, he won’t have men with guns protecting him, but a real man like Lewd Squid shouldn’t need them…

That is a challenge to a contest with referees. Not a threat of violence.

If this is the comment Charles Johnson is talking about, then it is yet another baseless smear.

44. snork
    44 | September 1, 2010 1:55 pm

Bagua wrote:

If this is the comment Charles Johnson is talking about, then it is yet another baseless smear bum acid trip.

45 | September 1, 2010 1:57 pm

OT: FNC is reporting that a man with a bomb has taken hostages in the Discovery Channel building in Silver Spring, MD.

46. Bagua
    46 | September 1, 2010 1:57 pm

A baseless accusation that The Blogmocracy is threatening to kill commenters at LGF is a smear intended to damage this site and its commercial potential.

47. Aladin Sane
    47 | September 1, 2010 1:58 pm

Link to article doesn’t work for me.

48. 48 | September 1, 2010 2:00 pm

Hmmm, man with bomb holed up inside the Global Warming Channel…. Trying real Hard to pray for a peaceful resolution to this crisis.

49. 49 | September 1, 2010 2:00 pm

@ Bagua:

Like I said, I scare him :mrgreen: He tried to convince one of my friends (someone who knows me in the meatworld) that she should be afraid of me. She laughed at him, on account of she knows me. It is interesting to see what a duplicitous snake he is. I didn’t say anything at Daedalus that I’ve not said a hundred times on LGF with his approval. I guess it sucks being on the other side with the trolls.

50. Aladin Sane
    50 | September 1, 2010 2:01 pm

doriangrey wrote:

I was thinking maybe Discovery had shown a documentary on Mohammed.

51. 51 | September 1, 2010 2:02 pm

@ Aladin Sane:

Baugua copied the pertinent comment, I think.

52. 52 | September 1, 2010 2:05 pm

@ Aladin Sane:

That is more likely. Or some crazy who says he has a bomb. That is the most likely thing, but I do hope they resolve it peacefully. Or green-light the hostage taker. I don’t really care if they pop him.

53. Aladin Sane
    53 | September 1, 2010 2:05 pm

@ Aladin Sane:
    Baugua copied the pertinent comment, I think.

Hey Fist!

I’ll challenge you to a knife fight as long as I can bring a howitzer and a couple of squads of marines. Whaddaya think?

54. Bagua
    54 | September 1, 2010 2:07 pm

37 Cannadian Club Akbar Wed, Sep 1, 2010 9:59:31am replyquote

re: #34 Charles

They’re threatening to kill LGF commenters at the stalker blog again.

Do they leave the threats up or delete them?

Cannadian Club Akbar is a good guy, and one can’t blame him for being fooled by Charles. Slander is an effective weapon. I know I was fooled for a while until I took the time to read threads over here.

55. snork
    55 | September 1, 2010 2:08 pm

Bagua wrote:

That was probably why he said “the stalker blog” There are enough “stalker blogs” that he has plausible deniability.

56. 56 | September 1, 2010 2:08 pm

Would a “baseless schmear” be like eating the cream cheese straight out of the tub?

“Chucky’s Deli -- BYO Bagel”

57. 57 | September 1, 2010 2:10 pm

@ Aladin Sane:

Hey, man, the Marines scare me. Really :P

58. Bagua
    58 | September 1, 2010 2:12 pm

snork wrote:

I’d be happy to be an expert witness that the term “Stalker Blog” means The Blogmocracy when used at LGF.

59 | September 1, 2010 2:13 pm

@ F:

The effects of Obamaism will be with us for at least a generation. Elections have consequences.

60. 60 | September 1, 2010 2:14 pm

@ snork:

After the Lewd Wigs more, well, genocidal rants, anything I’ve said rather pales, doesn’t it? I have called for killing Hamas and Hezbollah. If that is troubling Chuckles (and it might; the last time I said such on LGF, he deleted the comment. That puts Lewd Wigs comments in a certan perspective, doesn’t it?), well, I’m not sorry. The path to real peace lies past that particular mass grave. There can be no peace as long as Hamas and Hezbollah exist. That is just the way of it. Lewd Wig feels that way about Christians. So does, apparently, Chuckles.

61. Aladin Sane
    61 | September 1, 2010 2:15 pm

@ Aladin Sane:
    Hey, man, the Marines scare me. Really

Good, I was debating whether I should have added half a dozen rottweilers to the mix too after I posted.

All is good with you?

62. 62 | September 1, 2010 2:18 pm

Aladin Sane wrote:

@ Aladin Sane:
    Hey, man, the Marines scare me. Really
    All is good with you?

[Shivers with fear]

Dogs scare me, too!

:P

63 | September 1, 2010 2:25 pm

Zimriel wrote:

“Chucky’s Deli – BYO Bagel”

I can’t stop from thinking that the The Mad King IS the hole in the bagel. :lol:

64. Voltaires Crack
    64 | September 1, 2010 2:25 pm

snork wrote:

Bagua wrote:

It’s Persecution Wednesday at Johnsontown.

I do wonder, though, if Chuckholz might be referring to the exchange concerning SFZ.

65. Bagua
    65 | September 1, 2010 2:27 pm

Voltaires Crack wrote:

It’s Persecution Wednesday at Johnsontown.

Link please.

66. snork
    66 | September 1, 2010 2:27 pm

Voltaires Crack wrote:

We’ll never know for sure, will we?

67. 67 | September 1, 2010 2:28 pm

Aladin Sane wrote:

doriangrey wrote:
    I was thinking maybe Discovery had shown a documentary on Mohammed.

The bomber is a former employee, probably pissed that he got fired because his global warming documentary had lower ratings than the Hugo Chavez sings popular songs show.

68. m
    68 | September 1, 2010 2:30 pm

@ Voltaires Crack:

From Arachne?! She’ll laugh at that! That’s not threatening to KILL anyone, LOL!!

69. Voltaires Crack
    69 | September 1, 2010 2:32 pm

Bagua wrote:

Voltaires Crack wrote:

It’s Persecution Wednesday at Johnsontown.

Link please.

Not a threat IMO, although descriptive. Then again, who knows what Chuckholz read and where.

70. Voltaires Crack
    70 | September 1, 2010 2:34 pm

m wrote:

@ Voltaires Crack:

I don’t know how the dude’s mind works (thankfully). I do know he puts keywords together in order to make wild inferences. Just speculating on that and nothing more.

71. 71 | September 1, 2010 2:36 pm

@ Voltaires Crack:

If that is what he is talking about, then Irony reigns supreme. That is almost word for word a comment I made at LGF about the Morlocks in San Fransisco when they were freaking out that I was coming to SF. The IndyMediots had a shit-hemorrhage. It’s funny as hell, if that bothered him :P

72. Bagua
    72 | September 1, 2010 2:37 pm

Well, I think that post about SanFranciscoZionist is mean spirited and inaccurate. She is a good person. But the comment from Arachne was nothing, just snark.

73. Aladin Sane
    73 | September 1, 2010 2:39 pm

I’m a bit misinformed as I haven’t watched TV in years. So The Discovery Channel is big into global warming?

Yet further OT
    If any of you all are interested in a good book that details the botched up science behind global warming, take a look at The Hockey Stick Illusion.

74. Voltaires Crack
    74 | September 1, 2010 2:39 pm

Geez…that Discovery Channel hostage-taker is sounding more and more like a LVQ disciple.

75. 75 | September 1, 2010 2:48 pm

@ Bagua:

I think she is an excellent example of how crazy they are over there (though nobody beats out Lewd Wig on that). However, no one was threatening to kill her. It was, as you say, snark. Sarcasm. Hy-per-bole.

76. m
    76 | September 1, 2010 2:54 pm

@ Voltaires Crack:

On his myspace -- Discovery Channel is one of his fave TV channels. Good thing he didn’t hate them or anything.

77. 77 | September 1, 2010 2:57 pm

m wrote:

On [the loon's] myspace – Discovery Channel is one of his fave TV channels. Good thing he didn’t hate them or anything.

Another proud graduate of the Ike Turner Charm School. Sheesh.

78 | September 1, 2010 3:01 pm

And James T. Kirk is one of his heroes…