NCAA Football (and BBQ Thread)

by coldwarrior ( 236 Comments › )
Filed under College Football, Open thread, Patriotism, September 11, Sports at September 11th, 2010 - 11:00 am

This will be weekly, every Saturday after the lecture is the open NCAA thread for those of us watching football and not wanting to soil the respectable threads with cries of ‘Hook ‘em Horns’ or ‘Soooeeeee Piggie!’ and we sure don’t want to run Ralphie through a serious thread! Some of our writers would get really mad.

Its week 2 in this very young and already interesting College Football Season. The Auburn Mississippi State game was more fun than i thought it would be with the War Eagles Holding on for the win at the Bulldogs.  Friday night’s let down was Marshall once again blowing a lead and losing to the WV Mountaineers. Marshall had the Mountaineers at home, on this the 40th anniversary of the plane crash that killed the entire Marshall football team and they blew it.

And the rankings agree in all polls, Alabama is #1, Ohio State #2, and the boys from the smurf turf Boise State are #3! Watch out for Boise State….

So onto Saturday: Today’s top match-ups are 22 Georgia at 24 South Carolina at noon.  There are three 3:0pm games worth looking at: first is 17 FSU at 10 Oklahoma, the rematch of the 2000 national championship in the Orange Bowl, and 12 Miami at 2 Ohio State.  Colwarrior’s favorite football teams are whomever is playing Miami Hurricanes this week and whomever was the last team to beat them. Miami, ‘the U’, AKA the criminal element should have lost the right to a football team in the 1990′s with all of the gross violations they had. And as always the Michigan at Notre Dame game, both teams are in rebuild mode. Its still a rivalry and should make for an interesting match-up for the new coach at Notre Dame.

At 7:00 pm PSU is in Tuscaloosa to play the #1ranked Alabama Crimson Tide; shades of the classic battles between Bear Bryant and Joe Paterno.:

“It’s one of those games,” said Penn State quarterback coach Jay Paterno, Joe’s son, “that the rest of the country will sit down and watch. It’s the two uniforms that haven’t changed. You know you’re watching Alabama, because of the uniforms. We’re no different. The only thing I’ll miss Saturday is not having Keith Jackson there. They should have called him and said, ‘We need you for this, baby.’”

They have played each other only 13 times. Alabama has won eight, Penn State five. Yet each program has played a pivotal role in the other’s football history. There is more than fate there. Political commentator James Carville once described the state of Pennsylvania as “Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between.”

Carville referred to the values and politics of central Pennsylvania. But he may be on to something. For some 40 years, the Alabama Football Fan Club of Bridgeport, Pa., has made an annual pilgrimage to a game in Tuscaloosa, Ala. The club will be there Saturday night.

One of the Crimson Tide’s most beloved players, quarterback Joe Namath, grew up in Beaver Falls, Pa.

I’m afraid JoePa will not walk out of Tuscaloosa with a win this time. PSU has a very promising and exciting freshman quaterback and an inexperienced O line.  Vegas is giving PSU 12, its hard to say when Coach Saban will have mercy on PSU and call of the Tide.

As an aside, today, we are not forgetting 9-11. We are BBQing, flyin’ the flags, and lookin’ at football while keeping an eye on the muzz. In the end, I am confident that our side, the side of freedom and liberty, will triumph over the fascism and evil that is Islam.

****sep 11 ‘where were you when it happened’ thread was saturday morning 11 sep 0800-1200, we would like to collect and share some memories…write your story for everyone and post it up for history****

please return to your regularly scheduled thread.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

236 Responses to “NCAA Football (and BBQ Thread)”

1 | September 11, 2010 11:14 am

I’m looking forward to the PSU-Alabama game.

Some of these early season NCAA matchups are ridiculous IMO.

What, for instance, does Pitt stand to gain from playing New Hampshire?

If they win, they SHOULD have, and nothing was learned.
    If they lose, their program takes a devastating morality hit.

Best case scenario in my mind?

They LOSE, which forces trustees to push the AD to finally fire the failure that has been Dave Wannstache, consistent underachiever who always has the horses but can’t make it work.

2 | September 11, 2010 11:23 am

Football! Yeah baby, yeah! Notre Dame & Michigan should be a terrific game.
    Michigan thrashed Connecticut last week & ND looked really good against Purdue. The Irish look strong at QB, the running & passing game & the defense. It looks like they have found their coach.
    ND is at home with Touchdown Jesus, Number One Moses, the Fight Song & student body.
    I like ND by a touchdown.

3. savages_girl
    3 | September 11, 2010 11:26 am

Your briskets are looking good!

Nice big cuts of meat…

How many people are you expecting over today?

4. bar
    4 | September 11, 2010 11:33 am

@ savages_girl:
    Those look like spare ribs to me.

5 | September 11, 2010 11:35 am

Yippee! A pigskin thread! Take that you muzziacs! Really looking forward to the Miami -- Ohio State and the FSU -- OU. Last night’s game was a great one. I thought that Marshall had WV on the ropes for sure. They just let it get away.

6 | September 11, 2010 11:38 am

BTW; the briskies smell great. As much as I love BBQ (especially sausage and ribs) I’ve cut way back on it since my cardiac “event” on March 6. A lot more fish and chicken in my diet these days.

7. savages_girl
    7 | September 11, 2010 11:39 am

@ bar:
    Hmmm, perhaps they are. Very meaty ribs if they are!

Hey, I’ve been wondering where you’ve been.

Last weekend, I made three batches of jerky.

On the third day, after 10 hours of being in the smoker, I checked on the meat and it had gotten steamy inside of my smoker and kind of steamed my meat as opposed to drying it out. I had to finish if off overnight in my dehydrator. I was kind of bummed because when it got steamy, I think it steamed off some of my smoke flavor off of the meat.

I can’t figure out why it got steamy. The only two things I can think of are (1) there’s a little water that gets in the pan that holds the smoking chips and maybe it made it steamy (but that should have tried up I would think) or (2) it was warm in my smoker but kind of cold outside.

I don’t know. Any ideas on what might have happened and how I can prevent that in the future? I was so upset. It seems my smoker sometimes is kind of hit and miss…

8 | September 11, 2010 11:40 am

huckfunn wrote:

I’ve cut way back on it since my cardiac “event” on March 6.

Yikes!

Sorry to hear that.

I hope you’re doing better, and GREAT JOB on adjusting your diet appropriately!

9. savages_girl
    9 | September 11, 2010 11:41 am

@ huckfunn:
    You had a cardiac event?

You don’t seem that old… but I guess even children have cardiac issues…

so less meat in your diet for you… bummer… you can probably still have some lean cuts once in a while, like flank steak or London broil…

10 | September 11, 2010 11:42 am

Time to mow the lawn.
    Everbody enjoy football Saturday.
    God bless America, paricularly today.

11. NoThreat2U
    11 | September 11, 2010 11:45 am

Where you at CW???? What time would you like us to be there?

12. savages_girl
    12 | September 11, 2010 11:46 am

BTW, in my continuing effort to tolerate this sore throat and cold that I’ve had, and since I’m not going anywhere today, I have made myself a BIG mug of Good Earth Sweet & Spicy tea, spiked with honey, Myers dark rum, and a splash of Disaronno. It is hot and nice on my throat and tasty.

I’ll be ready for some of cw’s brisket and ribs by lunch…

13 | September 11, 2010 11:48 am

@ savages_girl:

Are you using a store-bought “pre-manufactured” smoker?

Growing up, our family had a number of problems with these devices, and us along with many of our “country” neighbors made one of these:

Build A Grill Out Of A 55 Gallon Drum
    DYI>>> 55 Gallon Barbecue Grill
    The instructions below are for a tall standing grill, not a side grill.

Where to get a barrel : Used steel barrels also called drums aren’t difficult to find. You can find clean ones online, local pet stores have them from time to time, or try your local feed stores. Don’t get one with any chemicals or oils that you think you can burn out! If it has a skull or a big X over a skull or something similar don’t get it. You just want a nice clean 55 gallon steel drum with removable lid. You want the drum lid to fits snuggly on top. Your local Lowes Retailer, or Home Depot will have all the other supplies that you will need.

It’s even easier if you have or know someone who has cutting torches and/or an arc welder, but even if you don’t it’s not as hard as it looks.

I don’t know if you’re at all “industrially inclined,” or know someone else to help if you’re not.

We had much better results with our homemade “drum smoker” than any storebought model.

It also depends on how much room you have.

14. snowcrash
    14 | September 11, 2010 11:49 am

Hookem horns. #5 UT meets Wyoming tonight at 6pm. Player I’ll watch is Tre Newton, Sophmore running back from Southlake, TX.( daddy is Nate Newton of Dallas Cowboy fame) and of course I will watch the fans. My son will be there somewhere and I think he is painting himself burnt orange. LOL

15 | September 11, 2010 11:49 am

@ savages_girl:
    I was working in the yard and had a heart attack. Not a failure of the heart; a blood clot. That was Saturday around noon. The took me to the hospital and put a stint in me. I spent the night in the hospital and was back home by 3PM Sunday. Back to work on Tuesday. I’m now taking abut 5 different kinds of blood thinners and blood pressure meds. And a lot less BBQ.

16. NoThreat2U
    16 | September 11, 2010 11:54 am

@ huckfunn:
    Gotta be careful with those blood thinners. They always make me nervous.

17 | September 11, 2010 11:56 am

@ NoThreat2U:
    Nowadays, any little nick or scratch and I’m bleeding like a stuck pig. (Note to self; add bandaids to grocery list).

18 | September 11, 2010 11:57 am

@ Bumr50:

new hampshire gets a ton of money…pitt gets a scrimmage game

19 | September 11, 2010 11:59 am

NoThreat2U wrote:

Where you at CW???? What time would you like us to be there?

1500 or so…whatever

let me know when you are going to be here. bbq is done at 1600 or so, but we will be ready before that.

20 | September 11, 2010 12:01 pm

savages_girl wrote:

Your briskets are looking good!
    Nice big cuts of meat…
    How many people are you expecting over today?

those are the ribs…the brisket got smoked all last night and is now in a slow cooker at 185F low and slow, enough smoke was applied last night and i need the space on the smoker for the ribs (in the pic) and the jerk chiken.

21 | September 11, 2010 12:03 pm

OOPS!!

@ savages_girl:

I mistakenly directed you to a “grill,” rather than a “smoker.”

The same site provides info, and the much of the basic construction is the same.

This site seems a bit more “smoker-friendly” and a bit simpler:

Making of a Drum Smoker
    Smokers can be anything from garbage cans to custom steel fabricated smokers costing $1,000.00 of dollars a drum smoker is just above the cost of a garbage can and will last for many years. This design is using an automatic temperature control device, if you want to build this smoker and do not wish to purchase an ATC system, drill four 1″ holes spaced evenly around the base, 2″ up from the bottom. Then fashion a cover over each hole so that you can control the draft.

22 | September 11, 2010 12:04 pm

@ huckfunn:

I’m so grateful that you can be here with us!

23. NoThreat2U
    23 | September 11, 2010 12:05 pm

@ huckfunn:
    Exactly! I always feel bad for someone who has to take them. I feel nervous for them, if that makes any sense.

24. NoThreat2U
    24 | September 11, 2010 12:06 pm

3 pm sound good?

25 | September 11, 2010 12:07 pm

I was at the Furman (who?) game where they needed OT to win a few years back.

Wannstedt needs to go.

26. snowcrash
    26 | September 11, 2010 12:08 pm

@ savages_girl:
    Lemon Ginger Tea made by Stash is a really good and different herbal tea if you like those flavors. I do and it is really nice for a sore throat or stuffy nose.

27 | September 11, 2010 12:08 pm

snowcrash wrote:

Nate Newton of Dallas Cowboy fame

The guy with 200 pounds of weed in his trunk?

28 | September 11, 2010 12:08 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

@ huckfunn:

I’m so grateful that you can be here with us!

Thanks! I’m thankful (and delighted) to be here.

29 | September 11, 2010 12:08 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

3 pm sound good?

ok!

30 | September 11, 2010 12:09 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

I was at the Furman (who?) game where they needed OT to win a few years back.
    Wannstedt needs to go.

he makes me insane…time for him to go.

31. savages_girl
    31 | September 11, 2010 12:13 pm

@ Bumr50:

Are you using a store-bought “pre-manufactured” smoker?

I found it at a garage sale actually.

It is a Little Chief.

I can only smoke about 1.75 -- 2 lbs of meat in it at a time.

I need to finish reading your post…

I live in an apartment with a medium sized deck, so I don’t think I could do a 55 gallon drum on it…

32 | September 11, 2010 12:14 pm

@ huckfunn:

got any predictions for us today? what games are you looking at?

33 | September 11, 2010 12:15 pm

@ savages_girl:

i will post up a pic of the brisket as it is getting cut later…check back for it!

34 | September 11, 2010 12:16 pm

try one of these.

given your lack of space, this is a great item

35. savages_girl
    35 | September 11, 2010 12:19 pm

@ Bumr50:
    I’f I ever save enough money, I would like to get one of these Traeger Grills/Smoker things… a guy at work cooks for us on his every potluck and it is just excellent! However, making your own smoker would probably be less expensive, if I only had the space…

Maybe a junior or a Lil Tex…

36 | September 11, 2010 12:20 pm

Gotcha.

The second link gives instructions for smaller containers, but I also live in an apartment with a little deck so I understand.

We used ours mostly for deer jerky.

37. savages_girl
    37 | September 11, 2010 12:22 pm

@ huckfunn:

I was working in the yard and had a heart attack

when that happened, did you know what it was?

I always wondered if I was having a heart attack, if I would now immediately or do you just not feel good or what. I guess it just depends on how bad it is (like if it doesn’t kill you or knock you unconscious)… it must’ve been scary…

38. bar
    38 | September 11, 2010 12:22 pm

@ savages_girl:
    I hate it when that happens. If its possible to omit the water that would help, and you want all the vents as wide open as possible. I would imagine the relative humidity outside would play a roll on how well the meat dries. Cutting back on the amount of meat could also fix the problem?

I have had that same problem when I cram a few porkbutts into the smoker and I have to close the top vent to get the temp up. It turns into a nasty steamy mess and then my wood pucks fall apart and will not burn.

39. 39 | September 11, 2010 12:25 pm

My God Cold! An ELECTRIC Smoker and here I thought you did not blaspheme the great BBQ! //sss

40. savages_girl
    40 | September 11, 2010 12:27 pm

try one of these.

given your lack of space, this is a great item

Those look about the right size, and affordable too!

Thanks cw

41 | September 11, 2010 12:27 pm

OT- IMO great article on the state of our “movement,” and what is needed to overcome Progressivism. I’m short on time as we’re due at my Dad’s soon and I’m getting ready, but if I had time I’dwrite up a guest post because I think it’s that important.

Money excerpt:

One is: religious conservatives might consider that Christianity played an important role a hundred years ago in the creation and growth of the progressive movement. That fact alone is enough to show that the contemporary secularism they detect and decry has little to do with our current problems. They might also consider that there are literally millions of Hindus, Buddhists, atheists, and the merely indifferent or confused who also want the blessings of liberty for themselves and their families.

Similarly, the libertarian-minded should give serious thought to whether “anything goes” (provided only that no one initiates coercion) is the alpha and omega of a sound program for a free, just society. That subjectivism was, after all, the rallying cry of the 1960s, which midwifed so much of what we currently ail from. There’s no escaping the fact that all political decisions are ultimately moral choices, selections among competing values, and some really are objectively better than others.

42 | September 11, 2010 12:27 pm

AZOlddog wrote:

read savage girls requirements…its perfect for her.

i wouldn’t want to run my monster on an apartment balcony!

43 | September 11, 2010 12:28 pm

savages_girl wrote:

try one of these.
    given your lack of space, this is a great item

Those look about the right size, and affordable too!
    Thanks cw

certainly.

for smoke, get wood chips and wrap them in aluminum foil, poke holes in the packets, make sure they are not touching the electric coil, and there you are, apartment size smoker!

44 | September 11, 2010 12:29 pm

If you did and I was your neighbor, I’d invest in some serious renters insurance!!:-)

45. savages_girl
    45 | September 11, 2010 12:30 pm

@ bar:

You know, I really don’t see any “vents” on it per se.

I see smoke billowing out of it when the chips heat up, but there are not obvious vents like you would see on a Weber. Hmmm, maybe that’s part of the problem.

46. savages_girl
    46 | September 11, 2010 12:30 pm

@ savages_girl:
    OK, didn’t mean to block quote my whole statement there…

47 | September 11, 2010 12:30 pm

It’s like the next step up from “pothead carpentry”!

48 | September 11, 2010 12:32 pm

@ huckfunn:

got any predictions for us today? what games are you looking at?

Miami -- Ohio State and FSU -- OU. Also, the PSU -- Alabama. I won’t make any predictions because those always go in the opposite direction. I will be pullng for Ohio State, Oklahoma and Alabama. Great line up. You have any predicts?

49. 49 | September 11, 2010 12:34 pm

ADMINS:

Could we please re-schedule my “Caturday” thread for NEXT Saturday, and instead put the 9-11 Where Where You thread back up again during that time slot?

I don’t feel much like “Caturday” right now.

50. bar
    50 | September 11, 2010 12:36 pm

@ AZOlddog:
    I hate to say it, but you can not beat an electric smoker for consistent quality each and every time. My electric smoker beats anything hands down and the lazy ease of use is the best part. And I have more versatility in that I can cold smoke, you can’t do that with a wood or charcoal smoker.

I really hated having family and friends over and all of the sudden my fire would just go out or get to low. And then it would get to high as I tried to recover. The food still came out good, but I wanted the best.

Now I am a BBQ god as far as the family is concerned. LOL.

51. bar
    51 | September 11, 2010 12:37 pm

@ savages_girl:
    Maybe you can prop the lid open a bit?

52. savages_girl
    52 | September 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Now I am a BBQ god as far as the family is concerned. LOL

HAHAHAHA -- that is great! :)

53 | September 11, 2010 12:38 pm

savages_girl wrote:

when that happened, did you know what it was?

Here’s how it went down. I was hauling a stack of rotten firewood from behind the pump house to a burn pile down the hill. I had already made about 7 round trips when I started feeling breathless. I went inside and told my wife to get herself ready because she might have to take me to the hospital. While she was upstairs, I started feeling increasing pressure in my chest and was really panting for air. No real pain, just very heavy pressure on my chest. I told her we need to go now. It’s about an 8 mile drive to the nearest hospital. We got there and they put me in an ambulance and took me to one of the big hospitals in downtown Austin. They kept asking me about the pain, but all I can remember was the elephant standing on my chest.

54 | September 11, 2010 12:38 pm

1389AD wrote:

ADMINS:
    I don’t feel much like “Caturday” right now.

ok, if thats what you want.

55. savages_girl
    55 | September 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Now I am a BBQ god as far as the family is concerned. LOL

maybe so.

You don’t think I would lose all my good smoke flavor that way?

Maybe open is just a crack so the moisture can dissapate? (SP?)

56. savages_girl
    56 | September 11, 2010 12:41 pm

@ huckfunn:
    WOW! I’ve always wondered if I’d recognize it if it happened to me.
    That is amazing you had the presence of mind to know something was seriously wrong. Glad it all worked out for the better!

57 | September 11, 2010 12:44 pm

@ bar:

my dad uses one, he loads it up, turns it on, takes the boat out on the lake or goes golfing, comes back in 8 hrs and bingo…bbq.

the electrics work quite well.

58. 58 | September 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

huckfunn wrote:
    I’ve cut way back on it since my cardiac “event” on March 6.
    Yikes!
    Sorry to hear that.
    I hope you’re doing better, and GREAT JOB on adjusting your diet appropriately!

The most important thing to cut back on, ironically, is SUGAR.

Lean meat is NOT bad. It contains amino acids such as carnitine that are good for your heart and your general health.

Dunno why, but sugar seems to trigger the body to produce more cholesterol, plus it can lead to diabetes.

If you aren’t allergic to fish, and if you like it, eat fish as often as you can afford it. I loooove fish.

If you drink alcohol, red wine is best. It contains something (I forget what) that is good for your heart and your general health.

59. bar
    59 | September 11, 2010 12:45 pm

@ savages_girl:
    Yeah, just a small crack to let the moisture escape. It shouldn’t effect the flavor at all.

60. 60 | September 11, 2010 12:47 pm

@ bar:
    Don’t doubt it a bit Bar but, I had to throw a jab at coldwarrior. However back in the Piedmont section of NC you whole post could evoke the redneck version of a fartwa! //sarc

61. bar
    61 | September 11, 2010 12:47 pm

I hear that, now that is my kind of BBQ.

62. 62 | September 11, 2010 12:47 pm

1389AD wrote:
    ADMINS:
    I don’t feel much like “Caturday” right now.
    ok, if thats what you want.

It is.

I would like that 9-11 thread to get more exposure. Not everybody was at their computer when it was up. Depending on their time zone, people were probably sleeping, running errands, eating breakfast, and so forth. Americans in Alaska and Hawaii probably didn’t see the thread.

63. savages_girl
    63 | September 11, 2010 12:48 pm

@ bar:

cool, thanks, I will try that on the next batch (in a week or so).

64 | September 11, 2010 12:48 pm

bar wrote:

I hear that, now that is my kind of BBQ.

dad aint no fool!

65. 65 | September 11, 2010 12:49 pm

savages_girl wrote:
    when that happened, did you know what it was?

Wow.

I’ve had bad asthma attacks from exertion, but that’s a different sensation entirely. It’s good that you recognized the symptoms.

66. bar
    66 | September 11, 2010 12:51 pm

@ AZOlddog:
    I love it. I was one of them purist before I discovered smoked deviled eggs. That and my smoked rib eyes usually shuts them up. At least while they are eating it that is.

67 | September 11, 2010 12:53 pm

@ bar:

Smoked whole salmon is the shizzle.

68. Village Idiots Apprentice
    68 | September 11, 2010 12:55 pm

Leaving in an hour to go to the Navy game.
    University of Maryland/Navy game last weekend sort of stunk.
    Fans were so rude that UM is conducting an internal investigation into the UM student behavior.
    I guess video of UM students yelling “F*@k Navy” didn’t play real well.

69. bar
    69 | September 11, 2010 12:56 pm

@ Bumr50:
    That is one thing I haven’t tried, or any fish for that matter.

70 | September 11, 2010 12:56 pm

@ 1389AD:
    Thanks for your thoughts. I don’t want this to be the heart attack thread. Back on topic. South Carolina is up 7 -- 3 over Georgia. And pass me that platter of ribs.

71 | September 11, 2010 12:58 pm

South Florida is leading Florida 7-0 after first quarter!

Go Bulls!

I’ll root for Big East over SEC all day long!

72 | September 11, 2010 12:59 pm

@ huckfunn:
    got any predictions for us today? what games are you looking at?

Miami – Ohio State and FSU – OU. Also, the PSU – Alabama. I won’t make any predictions because those always go in the opposite direction. I will be pullng for Ohio State, Oklahoma and Alabama. Great line up. You have any predicts?

as long as miami loses, i am happy.

73 | September 11, 2010 1:02 pm

@ bar:

I’ve had salmon, bluefish, and trout smoked, but never done it myself.

I’d imagine it’s key to get a REALLY fresh whole, fatty fish. All the fish that I’ve had (except for maybe storebought salmon) had been freshly caught (within two days) by us or our neighbors.

74. NoThreat2U
    74 | September 11, 2010 1:02 pm

Why don’t you guys pick a real football team……PENN STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PSU PSU PSU PSU!!! Gonna roll over the ‘Tide. Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

75 | September 11, 2010 1:02 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

South Florida is leading Florida 7-0 after first quarter!
    Go Bulls!
    I’ll root for Big East over SEC all day long!

wha!!!

go bulls!!!

76 | September 11, 2010 1:04 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

i hope coach saban has mercy on psu, just for old time’s sake.

that is going to be an ass beating

77. NoThreat2U
    77 | September 11, 2010 1:06 pm

LMAO***** I just thought that comment would get you off the couch. lol

78. savages_girl
    78 | September 11, 2010 1:06 pm

smoked deviled eggs

OOO! What a great idea! I bet they are de-licious!

79 | September 11, 2010 1:06 pm

bwahahaha!!!

one 42 plasma, two computers, one laptop, espn gameplan…

i got 4 games at the same time!!!

80 | September 11, 2010 1:07 pm

@ NoThreat2U:

Are you DRIVING over to cw’s?

81 | September 11, 2010 1:08 pm

as long as miami loses, i am happy.

Amen to that!

82 | September 11, 2010 1:08 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

LMAO***** I just thought that comment would get you off the couch. lol

i’m redding up…no couch for me

83. savages_girl
    83 | September 11, 2010 1:08 pm

@ Bumr50:

Smoked whole salmon is the shizzle

I’ve got a bag of salmon bellies that I scored from work. I am going to smoke those.

When I spent a couple of days in Alaska at one of our processing plants, the maintenance guy there had made smoked salmon bellies and sent me home with a bag. Man oh man were they good!

84. NoThreat2U
    84 | September 11, 2010 1:09 pm

LOL LOL Yep!

85 | September 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

South Florida is leading Florida 7-0 after first quarter!

Go Bulls!

I’ll root for Big East over SEC all day long!

Dang! I wish I could see that. The only thing that I’ve ever liked about Florida is Emmett Smith.

86 | September 11, 2010 1:10 pm

huckfunn wrote:

as long as miami loses, i am happy.
    Amen to that!

that joint should have lost their football program in the 1990s

87 | September 11, 2010 1:13 pm

Bumr50 wrote:
    South Florida is leading Florida 7-0 after first quarter!
    Go Bulls!
    I’ll root for Big East over SEC all day long!

espn 3….go to espn, get registered, watch it.

88 | September 11, 2010 1:14 pm

@ huckfunn:

It’s on in our Pittsburgh market on the “My Pittsburgh” (formerly WB) channel.

89. savages_girl
    89 | September 11, 2010 1:14 pm

@ bar:
    the only fish I’ve done in the smoker is smoked black cod.

OMG -- to DIE for!

It’s a recipe I got from our corporate chef at work. He made it a few times and put out samples for us and I couldn’t stop eating it. It goes down like butter.

You have the fish deep-scaled and then cut in half lenthwise, then each half is portioned out to about 3 portions a side.

Then it’s salted and left to sit for 24 hours. Then after that you rinse it off and then marinade it in this kazu marinade for another 24 hours. Then it’s ready for the smoker. About 5-6 hours in the smoker and viola -- smoked black cod. It is so good! Very rich.

If you ever want my recipe, let me know.

90 | September 11, 2010 1:15 pm

LOL! Thug U.

They should just stop pretending about the whole “student athlete” ruse there.

91 | September 11, 2010 1:18 pm

@ savages_girl:

It’s the most enjoyable ways to eat bluefish, as it’s not so tasty otherwise but plentiful along the east coast.

We used to fish for King Salmon with the neighbors out of Olcott, NY in Lake Ontario.

Huge fun, and great eating!

92 | September 11, 2010 1:19 pm

@ Bumr50:

Off to Dad’s for birthday. BB whenever I can (great fellowship here 2day!)

93 | September 11, 2010 1:24 pm

huckfunn wrote:

as long as miami loses, i am happy.
    Amen to that!

that joint should have lost their football program in the 1990s

The Cane’s program was far more rogue that SMU’s, and SMU was taken out and shot. Course, they had been warned. Pete Carroll was running an outlaw outfit at USC. I wonder if that had something to do with him going to Seattle. I guess you saw that Reggie Bush has to give back his Heisman.

94. savages_girl
    94 | September 11, 2010 1:27 pm

@ huckfunn:

I guess you saw that Reggie Bush has to give back his Heisman.

why did he have to give back the Heisman trophy?

95 | September 11, 2010 1:28 pm

@ Bumr50:
    I don’t get ESPN 3 so I’ll have to content myself with SC putting up another touchdown on GA.

96 | September 11, 2010 1:28 pm

ohhh.

97 | September 11, 2010 1:29 pm

espn 3 is computer broadcast…i have it going on my laptop

98 | September 11, 2010 1:30 pm

savages_girl wrote:

@ huckfunn:

I guess you saw that Reggie Bush has to give back his Heisman.

why did he have to give back the Heisman trophy?

They determined that he was in violation of NCCAA rules against accepting cash, etc… at the time he won the Heisman. They essentially ruled that he was ineligable to be playing for his last 2 years at USC. First Heisman revocation in history.

99. bar
    99 | September 11, 2010 1:32 pm

@ savages_girl:
    They have to be cold smoked, but boy are they delicious.
    In the link you can scroll down a bit and a guy explains how he kinda cold smokes the eggs with his little chief smoker.

100 | September 11, 2010 1:34 pm

espn 3 is computer broadcast…i have it going on my laptop

I’m SOL. I’ve got Time-Warner-Roadrunner and they’re not on the list.

101. savages_girl
    101 | September 11, 2010 1:37 pm

@ bar:

They have to be cold smoked, but boy are they delicious.

COOL!

thanks, I’m going to try that.

They have a recipe for making smoked popcorn. I haven’t tried it yet because it seems like a waste of wood chips to only smoke something for half-an-hour.

I’m gonna try the smoked deviled eggs. I will probably eat them all!

102. savages_girl
    102 | September 11, 2010 1:38 pm

@ huckfunn:

First Heisman revocation in history.

Wow, I never knew that.

bummer for Reggie Bush…

103 | September 11, 2010 1:39 pm

savages_girl wrote:

bummer for Reggie Bush…

and bummer for USC, the ncaa hit them hard with many sanctions…see last weeks ncaa post

104. NoThreat2U
    104 | September 11, 2010 1:44 pm

I blame Bush. Oh wait…..wrong one.

105. bar
    105 | September 11, 2010 1:44 pm

They can try to erase them from the history books, but we all know what really happened. Turns out Matt Lineart is a big baby? Who knew he was so spoiled.

106 | September 11, 2010 1:45 pm

savages_girl wrote:

@ huckfunn:

First Heisman revocation in history.

Wow, I never knew that.

bummer for Reggie Bush…

I don’t feel one bit sorry for him. He knew he was gaming the system. If he would have been caught while he was playing for USC he would have lost his scholarship and been punted from the team.

107 | September 11, 2010 1:46 pm

bar wrote:

Turns out Matt Lineart is a big baby? Who knew he was so spoiled.

realy! i would have never called that, i thought he was gonna be a great one!

108. NoThreat2U
    108 | September 11, 2010 1:47 pm

CW, the daughter may be coming. You know women, they can’t make up their minds. Is that OK? Hate to spring it on you at this late moment.

109. wolfie
    109 | September 11, 2010 1:48 pm

I posted it on the Where-Were-You thread, but thought I might mention it here too. (Hey! It has to do with sports, so it’s not entirely OT!)

I am watching the Nadal-Youzhny semi-final of the US Open while reading over this thread.
    I am rooting for the Russian Youzhny. Nothing against Nadal, who is cute as a bug’s ear.
    So why Youzhny?
    He is wearing a black ribbon on his sleeve in memory of the victims of 9/11.
    It’s pity others players didn’t think of that.

So let’s give a cheer to Youzhny!
    He may be dooooooomed as far as winning the Open is concerned, but as a man, he’s proven himself a winner in my book.

110. savages_girl
    110 | September 11, 2010 1:49 pm

@ bar:
    I bookmarked the link for the smoked deviled eggs. I have to make those!

111 | September 11, 2010 1:53 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

i assumed she and her beaux would make it.

always plan for more!

112 | September 11, 2010 1:54 pm

@ wolfie:

its sports, so :

So let’s give a cheer to Youzhny!

Hooooray Youzhny!

113. NoThreat2U
    113 | September 11, 2010 1:55 pm

He has to work, as does her brother, so she doesn’t want to sit here alone. Thanx :)

114 | September 11, 2010 1:57 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

we got plenty of food and booze, dont worry.

115 | September 11, 2010 2:04 pm

See ya’ll yinzers later. I gotta get a few things done so I can be back for the 2 big upcoming games. BTW. I want SC to beat GA, but I still struggle with pulling for any team that has Spurrier on the sidelines.

116 | September 11, 2010 2:13 pm

@ huckfunn:

well, does one prefer cocks or dogs?

117 | September 11, 2010 2:19 pm

There is no football but SouthEast Conference football, and Bear Bryant is its prophet…

118 | September 11, 2010 2:21 pm

@ huckfunn:
    well, does one prefer cocks or dogs?

I would love South Carolina & Oregon State to play in a Bowl game.
    The color commentary could be really good.

119. Opilio
    119 | September 11, 2010 2:22 pm

huckfunn wrote:

I guess you saw that Reggie Bush has to give back his Heisman.

Probably.

The Heisman Trophy Trust hasn’t officially finished their investigation, and they’re the only ones that can revoke the award. However, it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion that they’ll yank it.

USC already returned the replica trophy that it received.

120 | September 11, 2010 2:22 pm

@ huckfunn:
    well, does one prefer cocks or dogs?

I would love South Carolina & Oregon State to play in a Bowl game.
    The color commentary could be really good.

bwahahahahahaaa!!!!

121 | September 11, 2010 2:23 pm

The Osprey wrote:

a fatwa against you and your prophet!

bear bryant was a class act, 100%.

122 | September 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Bear Bryant was a great coach. He was in a fraternity of great coaches.
    Joe paterno is one of those guys.

123 | September 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Bear Bryant was a great coach. He was in a fraternity of great coaches.
    Joe paterno is one of those guys.

the bama/psu series was a classic.

124 | September 11, 2010 2:43 pm

gators just took the lead.

125. wolfie
    125 | September 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Okay. Update on the US Open.
    Nadal didn’t wear a black ribbon on his sleeve like Youzhny did, but in his post-win interview he independently brought up the 9/11 anniversary and said his special thoughts today were with the families, New Yorkers, and America.
    Good for him!

126. Buckeye Abroad
    126 | September 11, 2010 3:07 pm

Go Bucks! Off to watch the game with the wife.
    Take care all!

127. snork
    127 | September 11, 2010 3:11 pm

Who unplugged the innernet?

128 | September 11, 2010 3:19 pm

Buckeye Abroad wrote:

Go Bucks! Off to watch the game with the wife.
    Take care all!

BIG TIME GO BUCKS…i ant stand miami.

129. snork
    129 | September 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Partay. :roll:

130. 130 | September 11, 2010 3:45 pm

snork wrote:

Who unplugged the innernet?

Oh dear…. Is that what that plug went to, I thought it was my waffle-iron…. :shock:

131 | September 11, 2010 4:09 pm

jmu is gonna beat 10 va tech!!!

132 | September 11, 2010 4:13 pm

OT, but important:

NRA Challenges Constitutionality Of Federal Handgun Ban For Law Abiding 18-20 Year-Olds

The NRA is challenging federal laws that prohibit law-abiding Americans 18-20 years of age from legally purchasing a handgun through a federally licensed firearm dealer. The case was filed Tuesday evening in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas Lubbock Division. James D’Cruz of Lubbock, TX is the plaintiff in this case.

“In Heller and McDonald, the U.S. Supreme Court clearly stated that the Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental, individual right to keep and bear arms for all law-abiding Americans,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “That right is not limited only to Americans 21 years of age and older. Indeed, throughout our nation’s history, adults beginning at age 18 have served in the military and fought for this country with honor. But while the Supreme Court has consistently made clear that the federal government cannot ban or unduly restrict sales of items protected by the Constitution, the federal government continues to prohibit these adults from purchasing handguns from federally licensed dealers, which represent the largest and most accessible means of purchasing handguns.”

The suit asserts: “At 18 years of age, law-abiding citizens in this country are considered adults for almost all purposes and certainly for the purposes of the exercise of fundamental constitutional rights.” Indeed, at 18, citizens are eligible (and male citizens could be conscripted) to serve in the military--to fight and die by arms for the country. Yet, Section 922(b)(1) prohibits law-abiding adults in this age group from lawfully purchasing — from the most prevalent and readily available source — what the Supreme Court has called “the quintessential self-defense weapon” and “the most popular weapon chosen by Americans for self-defense in the home.”

The plaintiff, Mr. D’Cruz, is well-trained in the proper handling and use of firearms, including handguns. His initial training was with his grandfather, a World War II veteran, who wanted his grandchildren to understand the proper and safe techniques for use and storage of firearms. Mr. D’Cruz received further training from his father and as a member of the Navy Junior Reserve Officer’s Training Corps, where he achieved the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade. During his junior and senior years of high school, Mr. D’Cruz was a member of the JROTC’s marksmanship team, and as member of that team has competed in regional and national marksmanship competitions. Mr. D’Cruz received numerous awards, including a first place medal for marksmanship, in a regional competition. Mr. D’Cruz also received a Foreign Legion unit award for marksmanship.

The case is D’Cruz v. BATFE.

133. wolfie
    133 | September 11, 2010 4:25 pm

jmu is gonna beat va tech!!!

Auuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhh!

First the smurfs and now this. :roll:
    Looks like a long, ugly fall here in Hokieland.

134 | September 11, 2010 4:29 pm

wolfie wrote:

jmu is gonna beat va tech!!!

Auuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhh!
    First the smurfs and now this.
    Looks like a long, ugly fall here in Hokieland.

i love upsets like that!

135 | September 11, 2010 4:41 pm

buckeyes need to quit messin around and take out miami.

136. 136 | September 11, 2010 4:52 pm

If you don’t think Obama is deliberately exporting jobs, read this:

U.S. Backs $1B Loan to Mexico for Oil Drilling Despite Obama Moratorium

Published September 11, 2010

Despite President Obama’s moratorium on U.S. deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, the U.S. Export-Import Bank intends to guarantee $1 billion in loans to PEMEX, the Mexican state oil company, to bolster the company’s oil drilling in the region.

The bank, which is the official American export credit agency, loaned more than $1 billion to PEMEX in 2009 — when the company was the bank’s largest borrower — in support of its drilling activities. That year, the bank also guaranteed two loans totaling $300 million made by a commercial lender.

The latest request comes during a drilling moratorium that was first imposed by Obama in May to find out what was the cause behind the April 20 Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion killed 11 workers and led to 206 million gallons of oil spewing from BP’s undersea well.

So we are guaranteeing loans to Mexico to do deep water drilling in the Gulf while not allowing American companies to do deep water drilling in the Gluf. Obama isn’t the first post-Americans President. He is full-on anti-American.

137. 137 | September 11, 2010 4:55 pm

Good. I want to see a suit on short-barreled rifles and shotguns. Therer was a case in the early ’90s where the Court found short-barreled rifles weren’t any special threat. Coupled with Heller and McDonald, I’d say the Constitutionality of that part of the NFA is gone. Suppressors and machineguns may be a slightly harder climb, but suppressors especially is just silly.

138 | September 11, 2010 4:57 pm

TD Buckeyes! OU putting the whoopass on the Noles.

139 | September 11, 2010 4:59 pm

huckfunn wrote:

TD Buckeyes! OU putting the whoopass on the Noles.

hoooray!!!

140 | September 11, 2010 5:02 pm

huckfunn wrote:

TD Buckeyes! OU putting the whoopass on the Noles.

hoooray!!!

Bucks are gonna soften up those canes for yer panthers.

141 | September 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Missed; ha

142. Calo
    142 | September 11, 2010 5:05 pm

Yep -- I see the effects of his policies every day. Amen.

143 | September 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Well, Shit!

144. snork
    144 | September 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Listen to this shiite.

Cleric Rusli Hasbi told 1,000 worshippers attending Friday morning prayers in Indonesia, the world’s most populous Muslim country, that Jones had already “hurt the heart of the Muslim world.”

Well, I’m so sorry about that, I could just take a dump. When you start taking responsibility for your countrymen and coreligionists, I’ll think about saying something about this guy.

145. snork
    145 | September 11, 2010 5:18 pm

ZOMFGPONIES!!!!!!11

Man Burns Quran Pages Near Ground Zero
    By: Charles Johnson • WINGNUTS • Sep 11, 2010 at 11:58 am PDT

The audience for Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer’s hate rally is really starting to get warmed up for the big event: Man burns Koran pages near Ground Zero.

146. snork
    146 | September 11, 2010 5:19 pm

The day’s finally arrived. They’re linking Micheal Moore articles at the funny farm.

147. 147 | September 11, 2010 5:21 pm

@ snork:

I’d like to cut the heart out of the motherfucking Mohammedan world. That should pacify this fuck…

148 | September 11, 2010 5:21 pm

brisket, ribs, corn on the cob and home made buns over there-->

red stripe in the ice outside

help yinz selves!

149 | September 11, 2010 5:22 pm

@ snork:
    Obamination!

150. 150 | September 11, 2010 5:22 pm

@ snork:

Linking Mike al Moor? Wellie, wellie, wellie, well, Chuckles has evolved, hasn’t he?

151 | September 11, 2010 5:26 pm

brisket, ribs, corn on the cob and home made buns over there–>

red stripe in the ice outside

help yinz selves!

Popatop. Got cajun steamed gulf shrimp right here. I just saw another reason to hate Miami…. Donna Shalala. gag (takes large swallow of Red Stripe).

152. Calo
    152 | September 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Sent yinz an email.

153. Lost
    153 | September 11, 2010 5:38 pm

I just woke up. My eyes are sore and puffy from the crying I did before I went to bed. I’ve resisted reliving 9-11 for years but that thread got it out of me. Stayed up so late I only got a few hours of sleep.

Has the mosque protest happened yet?

154. 154 | September 11, 2010 5:41 pm

@ Lost:

It is in progress now. Chuckles is going nuts, ‘case someone burned a “Holy” Koran. I’d have been tempted to piss on it to put it out :mrgreen:

155. swamprat
    155 | September 11, 2010 5:41 pm

In the dangerous and stupid category, I have modified one mower by cutting back the deck somewhat and cutting three additional slots for the really big weeds.

It works pretty well.

Six foot hogweed is not easy to deal with.

156 | September 11, 2010 5:41 pm

huckfunn wrote:
    TD Buckeyes! OU putting the whoopass on the Noles.
    hoooray!!!

Bucks are gonna soften up those canes for yer panthers.

i hope so

157. Philip_Daniel
    157 | September 11, 2010 5:42 pm

“Hollywood Says Thanks” — Jim Cummings

Jim Cummings’ message to the military.

158. 158 | September 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Hello All USF got destroyed by Florida. Their season is done!

159. 159 | September 11, 2010 5:45 pm

@ swamprat:

That is a pretty good entry for the “dangerous and stupid” category. You need to mount a sawed-off shotgun on it, though, so that it is also illegal if you want to be sure of winning…

160. Calo
    160 | September 11, 2010 5:46 pm

HELLO -- email incoming.
    Sorry everyone -- carry on. Yeah -- Saturday college football. Hook ‘em horns.

161 | September 11, 2010 5:47 pm

snork wrote:

plays taps.

162. gulfloafer
    162 | September 11, 2010 5:47 pm

@ swamprat:

I’d mount a giant bubble machine on top.

163. swamprat
    163 | September 11, 2010 5:47 pm

;)

164. Lost
    164 | September 11, 2010 5:47 pm

LOL!

Thanks for making me smile. I needed it.
    (Just feeling very alone at the moment. On days like today, I wish I was still back in the US of A)

165. 165 | September 11, 2010 5:49 pm

It’s now 21-14 Mich vs. ND.

166 | September 11, 2010 5:50 pm

@ Calo:

replied…we’ll talk

167. swamprat
    167 | September 11, 2010 5:52 pm

Of the 12 species of rattle snake, found in the southwest, 9 appear in my county.

168. swamprat
    168 | September 11, 2010 5:54 pm

While some posters there are not pro-Israel, Charles still is. So far.

169. 169 | September 11, 2010 5:54 pm

@ swamprat:

You need one of these. They are a little pricey, but where else are you going to get a short-barreled shotgun that you can carry in a holster?

170. 170 | September 11, 2010 5:55 pm

@ swamprat:

He’ll find a pretext to turn on Israel. He can’t be accepted by the Left until he goes against them.

171. gulfloafer
    171 | September 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Dang, Ohio is owning Miami.

172 | September 11, 2010 5:58 pm

TD bucks!

173. swamprat
    173 | September 11, 2010 6:00 pm

A slightly larger version of that is called “the judge”. I haven’t seen the ad in a while, but it looked wicked. Sold as a “home defense” weapon. (also suitable for overthrowing small countries.)

174. 174 | September 11, 2010 6:00 pm

@ gulfloafer:

That game is a wrap.

175. swamprat
    175 | September 11, 2010 6:02 pm

I hope you are wrong.

So far, that one has stood.

176. 176 | September 11, 2010 6:02 pm

@ swamprat:

The Judge is by Tarus. It is a bit massive for carrying, but it would get the party started for home defense.

177. swamprat
    177 | September 11, 2010 6:04 pm

the judge is made by taurus

178. 178 | September 11, 2010 6:05 pm

@ swamprat:

Hey so do I. I have a soft spot for Miami U. I lived in South Beach back 93-94 for close to a year.

179 | September 11, 2010 6:05 pm

@ gulfloafer:

That game is a wrap.

I thought it was a wrap last nite when Marshall was leading WV 21 -- 6 in the 4th.

180. 180 | September 11, 2010 6:08 pm

And in other news, the Obama Administration has pretty much quit deporting illegals. Lovely:

The Obama administration is changing the federal immigration enforcement strategy in ways that reduce the threat of deportation for millions of illegal immigrants, even as states such as Arizona, Colorado, Virginia, Ohio and Texas are pushing to accelerate deportations.
    The changes focus enforcement on immigrants who have committed serious crimes, an effort to unclog immigration courts and detention centers. A record backlog of deportation cases has forced immigrants to wait an average 459 days for their hearings, according to an Aug. 12 report by Syracuse University’s Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC), which analyzes government data.

Hey, if they kill somebody, they’lll consider deporting them! Go’Bama! Gimme some stash!!11!!

181 | September 11, 2010 6:08 pm

@ swamprat:

SI refered to them as the criminal element back then

182. 182 | September 11, 2010 6:08 pm

My Cal Bears are doing well against future Pac-”12″ Colorado. Maybe we can get some respect this week.

183. 183 | September 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Watching Beer Fest now!

184. swamprat
    184 | September 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Hope to touch base w/you when i am in the city of cuban sandwiches and good cigars.

185 | September 11, 2010 6:14 pm

Personally, I don’t see any reason an immigration hearing should last more than about 30 seconds, in most cases. It’s an administrative proceeding, not a trial, so the usual standards don’t apply. The burden of proof should be on the detainee, not the government.

The hearing officer only needs to ask one question: “Can you provide proof that you entered the US legally?”

If the answer is no, there should be a bus waiting out back for them.

186. snork
    186 | September 11, 2010 6:19 pm

You know the answer to that.

187. 187 | September 11, 2010 6:21 pm

swamprat wrote:

I’m looking forward to Phoenix. Rodan, any idea of when, yet?

188. swamprat
    188 | September 11, 2010 6:28 pm

There is an ad I hear on the radio telling the public that it is illegal to deny employment based on a persons’ immigration status. Ok. I disagree with many people (and most here) in that I approve of and welcome immigrants, but how the heck can they justify telling employers to be an accessory to an illegal act?

This ad is aimed at Texans, btw

189 | September 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Carolina Girl wrote:

go berkely bears!

190 | September 11, 2010 6:32 pm

If the answer is no, there should be a bus waiting out back for them.

It’s the complete sovietization of the American legal process. We are paying for that 459 days either thru the costs of incarceration or the costs of the mayhem those illegals commit while they’re out on bail. Doesn’t help that we’ve got 2 new progs on the SCOTUS.

191. swamprat
    191 | September 11, 2010 6:33 pm

Going back out to scare the hell out of the rattlesnakes.

192 | September 11, 2010 6:35 pm

@ huckfunn:

They aren’t incarcerating them during that time. They let them go and tell them they’ll receive a notice to appear when their hearing is scheduled.

And if they do show up, and the hearing takes place, they let them go after that, too. They mail them a notice later telling them to report for deportation.

Oddly enough, very few seem to show up…

193 | September 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Oddly enough, very few seem to show up…

Who’d a thunk it? :roll:

194 | September 11, 2010 6:41 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Oddly enough, very few seem to show up…
    Who’d a thunk it?

I’m sure the progressives are shocked, given their insistence that these are just hardworking future Americans who want to do the right thing…

195. swamprat
    195 | September 11, 2010 6:43 pm

I really hate the game. Let them in, or keep them out. But this nonsense of winking at illegal immigration, while pretending to prevent it, is the worse of both worlds. We need to close the borders, north AND south, and make our own determinations as to who enters and who does not, and what their real status is with regards to the law.

We are completely vulnerable. There is no security or accountability with our current “system”.
    There is no system, just a mishmash.

196. swamprat
    196 | September 11, 2010 6:45 pm

gone for real

Stalk amongst yourselves

197 | September 11, 2010 6:57 pm

@ swamprat:
    It’s infuriating that the taxpayers are having to pay for the huge corps of buereuacrats who spend their days mindlessly shuffling piles of superfluous paperwork for no purpose. The only real result is that the courts are overloaded and unable to address the concerns of people with legitimate needs and issues.

198 | September 11, 2010 7:02 pm

@ huckfunn:

The other result is the slow destruction of the hospitals and school systems in border states, as a result of having to serve millions of illegals who don’t contribute to their operation.

199 | September 11, 2010 7:04 pm

whats up sgm?

200 | September 11, 2010 7:06 pm

whats up sgm?

Cooking some stuffed tilapia and asparagus, at the moment.

201. wolfie
    201 | September 11, 2010 7:07 pm

OMG!
    New York has gone completely nazifascislamophobiracist!!!
    Not only do most New Yorkers oppose the GZ mosque, but they just let Djokovic upset Federer in the US Open semi-finals.
    They let a Serb win! Oh nooooooooes!
    Chucky won’t like that.

202. Philip_Daniel
    202 | September 11, 2010 7:08 pm

The white mamluk commanded a higher price than the black ‘abd because he could bring a substantial Christian ransom or be exchanged for a Muslim captive. The differing treatment of white and black slaves reflected their relative worth. The mamluk was viewed as an investment to protect, whereas the ‘abd’s value was based on his labor as an expendable means of production. Where there was back-breaking work to be done in the Arab world, black slaves were made to do it. From ninth-century Iraqi land reclamation projects to fourteenth-century Saharan salt and copper mines, black Africans toiled under the worst conditions. White slaves were rarely assigned to such arduous tasks; they were usually household servants.

James H. Sweet, “The Iberian Roots of American Racist Thought.” The William and Mary Quarterly 3rd Ser., Vol. 54, No. 1 (Jan., 1997), p. 145

I guess James Sweet is a bigoted Islamophobe for stating in the above passage that black slaves in the Islamic world were horribly mistreated, and for claiming (in the text from which the quote is excerpted) that ant-black African racism and slavery in America ultimately derives from the period of Islamic domination in the Iberian peninsula (adopted by the conquistadors from the oppressors of their ancestors and passed on to the colonial American slave-owners.)

203 | September 11, 2010 7:09 pm

The Miami coaching staff needs to conduct an in-depth seminar for the defense regarding arm-tackling.

204. 204 | September 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Is the red tide turning in Venezuela?

Maybe one of our enemies is finally starting to crumble.

205. wolfie
    205 | September 11, 2010 7:10 pm

stuffed tilapia

What kind of stuffing? :)

206 | September 11, 2010 7:12 pm

wolfie wrote:

stuffed tilapia
    What kind of stuffing?

Crab

207 | September 11, 2010 7:12 pm

1389AD wrote:

Is the red tide turning in Venezuela?

Maybe one of our enemies is finally starting to crumble.

The Crimson Tide is about to crumble Penn State.

208. 208 | September 11, 2010 7:12 pm

wolfie wrote:

OMG!
    New York has gone completely nazifascislamophobiracist!!!
    They let a Serb win! Oh nooooooooes!
    Chucky won’t like that.

Congrats!

209 | September 11, 2010 7:13 pm

ND v M game is looking good!

210 | September 11, 2010 7:14 pm

whats up sgm?
    Cooking some stuffed tilapia and asparagus, at the moment.

nice.

211. wolfie
    211 | September 11, 2010 7:14 pm

Crab

Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!
    I’ll be over in ten minutes!

212 | September 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Carol has to work tonight, so I’m taking her some in a bit.

It apparently makes her co-workers jealous… :)

213 | September 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Carol has to work tonight, so I’m taking her some in a bit.
    It apparently makes her co-workers jealous…

i send food in in with my wife all the time, its geting to the point that i cook for a few of them as well!

214 | September 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Carol has to work tonight, so I’m taking her some in a bit.

It apparently makes her co-workers jealous…

Oh Carol!

215 | September 11, 2010 7:22 pm

I enjoy cooking. It takes my mind off of things.

And I like having an appreciative audience…

216 | September 11, 2010 7:22 pm

I enjoy cooking. It takes my mind off of things.
    And I like having an appreciative audience…

exactly.

217. 217 | September 11, 2010 7:23 pm

Carolina Girl wrote:

swamprat wrote:

I’m looking forward to Phoenix. Rodan, any idea of when, yet?

I’ll pass on the tobacco, but I could do with a Cuban sandwich and a cafecito now and again!

218. Philip_Daniel
    218 | September 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Was Benjamin Franklin an Islamophobe?

ON THE SLAVE TRADE.

Reading in the newspapers the speech of Mr Jackson in Congress, against meddling with the affair of slavery, or attempting to mend the condition of slaves, it put me in mind of a similar speech, made about one hundred years since, by Sidi Mahomet Ibrahim, a member of the Divan of Algiers, which may be seen in Martin’s account of his consulship, 1687. It was against granting the petition of the sect called Erika, or Purists, who prayed for the abolition of piracy and slavery, as being unjust. Mr Jackson does not quote it: perhaps he has not seen it. If, therefore, some of its reasonings are to be found in his eloquent speech, it may only show that men’s interests operate, and are operated on, with surprising similarity, in all countries and climates, whenever they are under similar circumstances. The African speech, as translated, is as follows :—

“Alla Bismillah, &c. God is great, and Mahomet is his prophet.

Have these Erika considered the consequences of granting their petition! If we cease our cruises against the Christians, how shall we be furnished with the commodities their countries produce, and which are so necessary for us! If we forbear to make slaves of their people, who, in this hot climate, are to cultivate our lands! Who are to perform the common labours of our city, and of our families! Must we not then be our own slaves! And is there not more compassion and more favour due to us Mussulmen than to the Christian dogs! We have now above fifty thousand slaves in and near Algiers. This number, if not kept up by fresh supplies, will soon diminish, and be gradually annihilated. If, then, we cease taking and plundering the infidels’ ships, and making slaves of the seamen and passengers, our lands will become of no value, for want of cultivation; the rents of houses in the city will sink one half; and the revenues of government, arising from the share of prizes, must be totally destroyed. And for what! To gratify the whim of a whimsical sect, who would have us not only forbear making more slaves, but even manumit those we have. But who is to indemnify their masters for the loss! Will the state do it! Is our treasury sufficient! Will the Erika do it can they do it! Or would they, to do what they think justice to the slaves, do a greater injustice to the owners! And if we set our slaves free, what is to be done with them! Few of them will return to their native countries—they know too well the greater hardships they must there be subject to. They will not embrace our holy religion: they will not adopt our manners: our people will not pollute themselves by intermarrying with them. Must we maintain them as beggars in our streets; or suffer our properties to be the prey of their pillage! for men accustomed to slavery will not work for a livelihood when not compelled. And what is there so pitiable in their present condition! Were they not slaves in their own countries! Are not Spain, Portugal, France, and the Italian states, governed by despots, who hold all their subjects in slavery, without exception! Even England treats her sailors as slaves; for they are, whenever the government pleases, seized and confined in ships of war, condemned not only to work, but to fight, for small wages, or a mere subsistence, not better than our slaves are allowed by us. Is their condition, then, made worse by their falling into our hands ! No: they have only exchanged one slavery for another; and I may say a better: for here they are brought into a land where the sun of Islamism gives forth its light, and shines in full splendour, and they have an opportunity of making themselves acquainted with the true doctrine, and thereby saving their immortal souls. Those who remain at home have not that happiness. Sending the slaves home, then, would be sending them out of light into darkness.

I repeat the question, what is to be done with them! I have heard it suggested, that they may be planted in the wilderness, where there is plenty of land for them to subsist on, and where they may flourish as a free state. But they are, I doubt, too little disposed to
    labour without compulsion, as well as too ignorant to establish good government; and the wild Arabs would soon molest and destroy, or again enslave them. While serving us, we take care to provide them with every thing; and they are treated with humanity. The labourers in their own countries are, as I am informed, worse fed, lodged, and clothed. The condition of most of them is therefore already mended, and requires no farther improvement. Here their lives are in safety. They are not liable to be impressed for soldiers, and forced to cut one another’s Christian throats, as in the wars of their own countries. If some of the religious mad bigots, who now tease us with their silly petitions, have, in a fit of blind zeal, freed their slaves, it was not generosity, it was not humanity, that moved them to the action; it was from the conscious burden of a load of sins, and hope, from the supposed merits of so good a work, to be excused from damnation. How grossly are they mistaken, in imagining slavery to be disavowed by the Alcoran! Are not the two precepts, to quote no more, ‘ Masters, treat your slaves with kindness—slaves, serve your masters with cheerfulness and fidelity,’ clear proofs to the contrary !— Nor can the plundering of infidels be in that sacred book forbidden; since it is well known from it, that God has given the world, and all that it contains, to his faithful Mussulmen, who are to enjoy it of right, as fast as they conquer it. Let us then bear no more of this detestable proposition, the manumission of Christian slaves, the adoption of which would, by depreciating our lands and houses, and thereby depriving so many good citizens of their properties, create universal discontent, and provoke insurrections, to the endangering of government, and producing general confusion. I have, therefore, no doubt that this wise council will prefer the comfort and happiness of a whole nation of true believers, to the whim of a few Erika, and dismiss their petition.”

The result was, as Martin tells us, that the Divan came to this resolution:—” That the doctrine, that the plundering and enslaving the Christians is unjust, is at best problematical; but that it is the interest of this state to continue the practice, is clear: therefore, let the petition be rejected.”—And it was rejected accordingly.

And since like motives are apt to produce, in the minds of men, like opinions and resolutions, may we not venture to predict, from this account, that the petitions to the parliament of England for abolishing the slave trade, to say nothing of other legislatures, and the debates upon them, will have a similar conclusion.

219. 219 | September 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Yeah,. it seems real simple to me, too.

220 | September 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Carol can cook…she just never has time to.

My ex, on the other hand, was pretty much limited to things less complicated than Hamburger Helper.

221. snork
    221 | September 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Love letters to Zombie:

Hey, my name is H. Nehal. I’m from Pakistan. You can make this website even better if you post some of your picctures on it with you little dick in her ass, or maybe you can post some of your mother’s milky boobs. Your hairy ass’ pictures will work just ass fine.
    [snip]
    You’ll rot in hell and you’ll be made to drink blood and puss. That’s what happens when you provoke someone’s religion.
    Rot in hell you bastard.

oy dog why you make cartoon of our beloved prophet. you fuck bitch of son hramzady

Etc., etc.

222. 222 | September 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Does that mean, in order to get each illegal deported, yet another American has to be victimized or killed?

:evil:

I am truly disgusted.

223. snork
    223 | September 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Philip_Daniel wrote:

No shit.

224. 224 | September 11, 2010 7:39 pm

@ 1389AD:

I’m not positive killing an American will get you deported. I only speculate that it might, in Obama’s America. Then again, if they kill a white American, then it is the opprerssed striking the oppressors, so Obama’s probably cool with that.

225 | September 11, 2010 7:39 pm

Bama picked it.

226. Philip_Daniel
    226 | September 11, 2010 7:39 pm

@ snork:

Religion of Canaries and Hyacinths! Sweet, gentle deen!

227 | September 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Well, I’m off to the hospital for my food delivery.

BBIAB

228. Philip_Daniel
    228 | September 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas: There is no prescribed punishment for one who has sexual intercourse with an animal,

Sunan Abu Dawud Book 38 Number 4450

229. 229 | September 11, 2010 7:56 pm

@ Philip_Daniel:

Yes, that is one of the more charming things about Mohammedanism. That and the pedophilia. There’s also the murder and, as you noted earlier, slavery to reccommend it as well…

230. 230 | September 11, 2010 8:13 pm

Ohio State won. I’m happy. :)

231. 231 | September 11, 2010 8:28 pm

@ Carolina Girl:

Early next year. I’ll have the dates in 2 months.

232. Macker
    232 | September 11, 2010 9:12 pm

Michigan Fans say “Beat Notre Dame!”
    Drown out the cheering for Notre Dame!
    Wolverines we Hail on high
    While Touchdown Jesus falls from the sky!
    We know the Irish chances are small,
    The Maize and Blue will win over all!
    And the Wolverines keep marching
    ONWARD TO VICTORY!

233. 233 | September 11, 2010 9:30 pm

Geert Wilders’ speech at 9-11 gathering

234. wolfie
    234 | September 11, 2010 9:37 pm

Update on the US Open to you football-watchers.
    Kim Cljsters won the women’s championship.
    A Belgian. ooooooooooooooooooooh!
    Vlaams Belang!

New York City has gone completely fascist, I tell you! :shock:

235 | September 11, 2010 10:50 pm

PSGInfinity wrote:

Ohio State won. I’m happy.

the team that beats miami thugbastard is my fave team for the week

236. Buckeye Abroad
    236 | September 12, 2010 5:42 am

Post Game Analysis: The boys lived up to the hype, however the special teams coach should be publicly flogged on the corner of 12th Street and High (Columbus, OH, main campus) for public comsumption. Two TD returns in a game is grounds for dismissal IMHO.