Johnny Cash February 26, 1932 – September 12, 2003

by coldwarrior ( 37 Comments › )
Filed under Music, Open thread at September 12th, 2010 - 8:00 pm

I saw The Man in in a smallish venue in Dublin, Ireland many years ago.

I miss him greatly, and am sad today, honestly…tears.

Rest in Peace, Man in Black and to you, June.

Johnny followed closely into the loving arms of God, his beloved wife June Carter Cash (June 23, 1929 – May 15, 2003).

Comments

37 Responses to “Johnny Cash February 26, 1932 – September 12, 2003”

1. swamprat
    1 | September 12, 2010 3:41 pm

There’s a man goin’ ’round takin’ names

And he decides who to free and who to blame

everyone won’t get treated the same

…when the man comes around

/Johnny Cash “When The Man Comes Around”

2. snork
    2 | September 12, 2010 3:57 pm

With the economy in a shambles, there’s no Cash these days.

3. chickadee
    3 | September 12, 2010 4:05 pm

I love him.

4. taxfreekiller
    4 | September 12, 2010 4:13 pm

the person tfk was at a time

12 years old, Houston Tx. family reunion, great uncle named “chief” who played the bars on telephone road in white trash cw bands , he told the family he was taking me to his place to get some things for supper,
    only,,
    he took me to the “plantation club”, an out side “ice house bar” bring your on drink place… Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and the guy who did Blue Sude Shoes before elvis did it,,,
    Jerry Lee jumped up and down, played the panio with his feet, twisted all around,,, wild has hell,,
    then the blue sude shoes guy who had a band of 5 or 6 backing him up..
    sang blue sude shoes and a buch of other rockabilly,,,,loud, wild, twang, twang,,

Then Johnny Cash,,,then Johnny Cash said,, “I’m Johnny Cash”,
    stood still, back from mike, you could hear him with out the mike and speakers,,,

wild eyes, but he just stood still and sang, two guys and a drummer.

years later, he was at a big club in El Paso,, he told us,,
    “my problem is I can not stop thinking, my mind never stops, no matter what I’m doing it just keeps going,,,,,,,,guess he lived that way too….

5. Eliana
    5 | September 12, 2010 4:14 pm

He was wonderful and I remember how touching it was that he loved his wife June so much that he could barely take his eyes off her when they were on stage together.

He found heaven on Earth with her.

6. 6 | September 12, 2010 4:33 pm

7. mfhorn
    7 | September 12, 2010 4:33 pm

@ Eliana:

It’s too bad all marriages aren’t like that.

8. chickadee
    8 | September 12, 2010 4:34 pm

9. snowcrash
    9 | September 12, 2010 4:37 pm

@ chickadee:
    Hey chicky, did you get out to the anti mosque rally yesterday? NO media coverage during my local news cast last pm. NONE.

10. chickadee
    10 | September 12, 2010 4:51 pm

@ snowcrash:
    Oh yes, It was incredible. A scraggly bunch of commies and lefties, union scum, troothers, anti-war freaks, progs etc. made up the small gathering of pro-mosk losers. All astro turf agitprop signs. And NO Flags.
    We had so many more people, though the mfm lies, as usual. Gert Wilders spoke eloquently, John Bolton via video, Andrew Breitbart, many others. It was a great day, beautiful blue sky just like on 9-11 when they attacked us. One woman near me sat down on the curb and cried softly to herself, grieving for someone she lost. I felt so sorry for her. Mostly it was happy joyous patriots waving flags.
    Bluebird has a thread coming up at 8:30, this evening. She has lots of photos.

11. snowcrash
    11 | September 12, 2010 4:53 pm

@ chickadee:
    Atlas has links to elMarco and Urban Infidel. If I didnt have the internet, I wouldnt know it happened. Really tragic.

12 | September 12, 2010 5:02 pm

snowcrash wrote:

@ chickadee:

Which, of course, is the idea.

13 | September 12, 2010 5:54 pm

I saw The Man in in a smallish venue in Dublin, Ireland many years ago.

That must be the trip that he looked out of his airplane & saw the
    rich colors of Ireland.
    He wrote “Fourty Shades of Green,” based on that experience & it is
    now a folk staple.

14. mfhorn
    14 | September 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Oh God, Ron Paul may look at a run for the White House in 2012.

15 | September 12, 2010 5:59 pm

snowcrash wrote:

@ chickadee:

Geraldo had Pam on last night. He badgered her and twisted everything that she said. He also called it a small turn out.
    He had Black Panther leader (Malik Shabazz?) on at the same time & kept making an equivalency between the two.

16. Grimcargo
    16 | September 12, 2010 6:06 pm

There will never be another johnny cash. I loved him and June. Their marriage was to be envied. Though how could he not love her, she saved his life. He was done for when he lost June. Very sad.

17 | September 12, 2010 6:08 pm

The high point of Geraldo’s career was when his nose was broken by that Nazi…

18. chickadee
    18 | September 12, 2010 8:05 pm

The high point of Geraldo’s career was when his nose was broken by that Nazi…

LOL, the one that hit him with a chair?

19. song_and_dance_man
    19 | September 12, 2010 8:10 pm

I didn’t know this until I watched I Walk the Line. His live concert album, Live at Folsom Prison-that many thought was a bad idea and wouldn’t sell- outsold The Beatles. He was the only one who did that while the Beatles were still together.

20. song_and_dance_man
    20 | September 12, 2010 8:22 pm

It’s been really slow here today. Everyone must be enjoying the last days of warm weather.

21. 21 | September 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Wow,

I was listening to Live from San Quentin today while driving back and forth to Home Depot for plumbing parts.

My brother and I wore the groves off od The Best of album as kids c.1968-1970.

Oh yeah, i have a big spot in my heart for the man.

22. 22 | September 12, 2010 8:31 pm

Whoops, I see that CW posted that tune.

23. 23 | September 12, 2010 8:38 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

I tore out a bunch of cast iron and lead waste lines that had finally come undone in the basement of my baby sitters 100 year old home, and replaced it with pvc.

I saved them about $1200 and put $400 in my pocket….yea hah….more discretionary income. I think I will go out and buy those Romanian drum mags I have been putting off for more pressing needs before they all dissapear.

24. 24 | September 12, 2010 8:40 pm

dancing with myself?

25. song_and_dance_man
    25 | September 12, 2010 8:43 pm

@ Scott Madsen:

It’s been like this all day. I’m only posting between plays.

26 | September 12, 2010 8:47 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

I understand that there are some sort of footbal games on, or something…

27. 27 | September 12, 2010 8:55 pm

@ Scott Madsen:
    Teh Romnainian drums are cool. I had a shot at some Russian ones about a year befor ethe AW Ban became reality. Theywere like $100 apiece, and Chinese were about $75 (I actually bought a couple of Chinese in the sub-$50 range at one point), so I passed on them. Oh, if I could go back. You want to talk about kicking yourself, though, I had a shot at an H&K 94 all tricked out for $1400 when I lived in Virginia.

[Kick]

[Kick]

[Kick][Kick][Kick]

28. rain of lead
    28 | September 12, 2010 8:55 pm

can’t believe no one has posted the most haunting thing J Cash
    ever did

HURT

httpv://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=johnny+cash+hurt&aq=1

*i was waiting*

29. 29 | September 12, 2010 9:00 pm

@ rain of lead:

I liked Hurt a lot better with NIN. Johnny Cash is to strong and vital a man to be able to pull off the absolute negation of Hurt. You need more despair for it. Hurt is a guy sitting on the edge of a tub with a razor blade in his hand. I just can’t see Johnny Cash there.

30. rain of lead
    30 | September 12, 2010 9:01 pm

@ rain of lead:

ok lets try that again

31. rain of lead
    31 | September 12, 2010 9:05 pm

yeah, no guy with razor blades
    but plenty of despair, he knows he is at the end of his line

32. Runner
    32 | September 12, 2010 9:31 pm

@ taxfreekiller:

Really cool story TFK. I believe the guy who recorded (and wrote?) Blue Suede Shoes before Elvis was Carl Perkins but I could be wrong.

I saw Jerry Lee Lewis three times during the 70s. Well, only twice as the third time he didn’t show. The announcer said he had “stomach problems”. Yeah. A belly full of liquor most likely!

33. 33 | September 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Oh boy how I could remonstrate
    on prices past.

HK PSG 1 in a NC shop for 1500 back in 98. I had it set on the counter filling out a 4473 until he saw my DL was Virginia.

He told me Gov. Wilder had just had a bill passed that prohibited Virginians from buying out of state. I was like WTF, dealer said yep,
    and thats what you get for electing a commie to your state house. I was like me, shit no, blame it on the yankees that moved into NoVA over the past ten years.

Yeah I needs some Romy drums before they are gone and start goin for 250 like the Rus and sino ones do now.

I’ll get the RPD later!

34 | September 12, 2010 9:49 pm

@ rain of lead:

yep.

thats why i love man comes around

35 | September 12, 2010 10:17 pm

aaarghh!

36 | September 12, 2010 10:53 pm

Grimcargo wrote:

yep. well said

37. 37 | September 14, 2010 4:08 am

[...] Johnny Cash February 26, 1932 – September 12, 2003 › 2.0: The … I miss him greatly, and am sad today, honestly…tears. Rest in Peace, Man in Back and June. Johnny followed closely into the loving arms of God, his beloved wife June Carter Cash (June 23, 1929 – May 15, [...]