Dog Day Afternoon: Pepsi, Griffen and Sprite’s Legacy Gift

by lobo91 ( 95 Comments › )
Filed under Dog Day Afternoon at July 29th, 2011 - 5:00 pm

This is a guest post from our very own Blogmocracy mascot, Leia:

Hi friendly people!

I wanted to take a few minutes to let everyone know about one of my most favorite charities, which is called Pepsi, Griffen and Sprite’s Legacy Gift.

Named for the dearly departed dogs of Mark Levin’s family, Pepsi, Griffen and Sprite’s Legacy Gift is a charity that was established to provide needed care for shelter dogs with special needs, such as dental work, surgeries, and heartworm care. Without these essential treatments, many of these dogs would never be able to be adopted by loving families. Since I spent some time in a shelter myself, I know what it’s like. Anything that helps more dogs to find nice people to live with gets two paws up in my book!

Pepsi, Griffen and Sprite- a trio of tail-wagging canines, each with his own story and his own giant place in his family’s heart. Pepsi lived his whole life like an exuberant puppy, Sprite had uncommonly soft, huggable fur and Griffen lived with an indomitable spirit in spite of a long list of medical issues.

Luckily for all three, they lived out their days with the Levin family who nourished them body and soul with unconditional love and the best care. Or, as Mark Levin, radio host, author of Rescuing Sprite and animal lover extraordinaire sees it—he and his family are the lucky ones whose lives were forever changed through loving Pepsi, Griffen and Sprite.

Unfortunately, not all dogs spend their entire live with a family as loving as the Levin’s. Sprite and Griffen both endured some dark days before they were rescued by the Levin family and for all too many dogs awaiting rescue in shelters short on resources, there is no happy ending.

In order to help these great people take care of more dogs, click here.

That’s all for today! Bye!

Comments

95 Responses to “Dog Day Afternoon: Pepsi, Griffen and Sprite’s Legacy Gift”

1. 1 | July 29, 2011 5:06 pm

Very well written Leia. My dogs have demanded that I do my part to help out, the cats are not feeling so compassionate, as they really do not like their own dogs all that much and are therefore not impressed with the entire canine lot. I’ve made the executive decision to side with the dogs on this one.

2 | July 29, 2011 5:09 pm

@ Flyovercountry:

Probably a wise move

3. Xeon
    3 | July 29, 2011 5:12 pm

I love dogs, I love Mark Levin, and I love this place.

4. 4 | July 29, 2011 5:15 pm

Xeon wrote:

I love dogs, I love Mark Levin, and I love this place.

You can say what you want about Mark Levin the radio host, but any man who loved and cared for his dogs the way he did is going straight to heaven in the express lane…

5. 5 | July 29, 2011 5:16 pm

Tell you what Leia -- I’m sending a gift at my next paycheck (the one with lots of overtime) and I’m telling them it’s from you.

And tell your human I said to give you extra peanut butter pretzels cuz you’re such a sweet girl.

6. NoThreat2U
    6 | July 29, 2011 5:57 pm

Seeing Leia makes me smile.

7 | July 29, 2011 6:29 pm

I LOVE MY DOG! However, it just hit me…

My dog sleeps about 20 hours a day.
    She has her food prepared for her.
    Her meals are provided at no cost to her.
    She visits the Dr. once a year for her checkup, and again during the year, if any medical needs arise.
    For this she pays nothing and nothing is required of her.
    She lives in a nice neighborhood in a house that is much larger than she needs, but she is not required to do any upkeep.
    If she makes a mess, someone else cleans it up.
    She has her choice of luxurious places to sleep.
    She receives these accommodations absolutely free.
    She is living like a queen, and has absolutely no expenses whatsoever.
    All of her costs are picked up by others who earn a living.
    I was just thinking about all this, and suddenly it hit me like a brick in the head………

My dog is a democrat.

8. brookly red
    8 | July 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Carolina Girl wrote:

Xeon wrote:
    I love dogs, I love Mark Levin, and I love this place.

listening to him right now…

9. brookly red
    9 | July 29, 2011 6:39 pm

huckfunn wrote:

I LOVE MY DOG! However, it just hit me…
    My dog sleeps about 20 hours a day.
    She has her food prepared for her.
    Her meals are provided at no cost to her.
    For this she pays nothing and nothing is required of her.
    If she makes a mess, someone else cleans it up.
    She has her choice of luxurious places to sleep.
    She receives these accommodations absolutely free.
    She is living like a queen, and has absolutely no expenses whatsoever.
    All of her costs are picked up by others who earn a living.
    My dog is a democrat.

by chance is your dog’s name Michele? just curious…

10. 10 | July 29, 2011 6:40 pm

@ NoThreat2U:

Seeing Leia at her laptop is like a laughing baby on a crowded train. It makes you feel light and happy no matter what else is swirling around you.

11 | July 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Boykin Spaniel, State Dog of South Carolina

12 | July 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Levin is whupping Boehner all over the Potomac Watershed!

13. Lily
    13 | July 29, 2011 6:51 pm

@ huckfunn:

Well my dog is a damn nazi!!!!! And I am not kidding.

It will sit next to me but I can’t touch it…it bites.
    My son has said that even hell would spit it out!
    If you look at the wrong way you will get bit.
    It even has it’s blood type tatooed.
    It was bred in Germany!
    It will give you ‘shark eyes’!!!!

It is a full size Dachshund!!!! My husband is the only one that can deal with it. If not for it’s size….it would have been gone!
    It is very smart, but very mean!

14 | July 29, 2011 6:52 pm

brookly red wrote:

by chance is your dog’s name Michele? just curious…

Nope. Her name is Pippi, and she hasn’t had a cheeseburger and fries in the past 15 years. She fits through the doorways without her saddlebags rubbing on the door jambs.

15. yenta-fada
    15 | July 29, 2011 6:55 pm

How does one listen to Mark Levin on the ‘net?

16. brookly red
    16 | July 29, 2011 6:57 pm

@ huckfunn:

I miss my old dog… maybe someday I can get another

17. brookly red
    17 | July 29, 2011 7:00 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

How does one listen to Mark Levin on the ‘net?

go to the wabc raido site & click on listen live.

18. brookly red
    18 | July 29, 2011 7:01 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

How does one listen to Mark Levin on the ‘net?

go to wabc radio’s site, click on “listen live”

19. Dolphin
    19 | July 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Carolina Girl wrote:

@ NoThreat2U:

Yep! Really enjoy Leia’s posts.

20. song_and_dance_man
    20 | July 29, 2011 7:02 pm

I’m gonna get a dog (jack russel) just as soon as I close on my new home.

21. song_and_dance_man
    21 | July 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Oh, and that is one dog gone good post.

22. yenta-fada
    22 | July 29, 2011 7:03 pm

brookly red wrote:

yenta-fada wrote:

How does one listen to Mark Levin on the ‘net?

go to wabc radio’s site, click on “listen live”

Thanks!

23. orangecrush
    23 | July 29, 2011 7:05 pm

I need a dog like Leia that will type my posts for me.

OT:
    ABB is a darwinist mainly. more in common with Charles.

This dark vision is not his invention. It’s a spin-off of what he aptly calls “National Darwinism,” which got its start in the writing of Charles Darwin.

24. brookly red
    24 | July 29, 2011 7:06 pm

@ yenta-fada:

and while your there click on a few of their ads… brilliance isn’t cheap.

25. orangecrush
    25 | July 29, 2011 7:07 pm

OT: Maybe those Egyptian supporter and their Obamaness were naive.

Calls for an Islamic state have taken over Cairo’s Tahrir Square as the largest demonstration since February has been mobilized by the country’s Islamist organizations

26 | July 29, 2011 7:08 pm

@ orangecrush:
    Yep, that is the conclusion I came to.

27. orangecrush
    27 | July 29, 2011 7:08 pm

We should keep a list of good charities somewhere. They are always hard to find.

I like the Salvation Army over the Red Cross.

28 | July 29, 2011 7:10 pm

OT:

Officials from Ford and the United Auto Workers opened a new round of contract negotiations Friday, saying they are committed to resolving their differences without a strike.

“It’s like welcoming old friends back,” Ford chairman William Clay Ford said at the opening ceremony of the talks.

Money quote.

29. 29 | July 29, 2011 7:12 pm

@ yenta-fada:

Also, his podcasts are FREE so if you have iTunes, you can subscribe and listen to them on your iPod or other device (it’s about 1 hr. 50 minutes and no commercials -- although it’s not live).

30. yenta-fada
    30 | July 29, 2011 7:13 pm

orangecrush wrote:

OT: Maybe those Egyptian supporter and their Obamaness were naive.

Wow. Who could have seen THAT coming?////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

31. Buckeye Abroad
    31 | July 29, 2011 7:15 pm

13. Lily

It was bred in Germany!
    It will give you ‘shark eyes’!!!!

It is very smart, but very mean!

That describes when of my ex-girlfriends’ to a tee.

32. yenta-fada
    32 | July 29, 2011 7:15 pm

@ Carolina Girl:

Thanks. Since I’m always home, I don’t have/use mobile devices. We even still have vinyl and CDs here. I’m so retro, I’m avant-garde. lol

33 | July 29, 2011 7:15 pm

@ orangecrush:
    The Samaritan’s Purse (for more international)
    Mennonite Disaster Service when ever there is a fema event

The MDS is the best bang for your buck because in reality the labor is done by groups of Mennonites and neighbors including men with trade skills, low income all the way to multi-millionaires. The money that people put in is for supplies applied to the site of the disaster only. The men’s wives pack them lunches and dinners and they do their own traveling together.

34 | July 29, 2011 7:15 pm

Lily wrote:

@ huckfunn:

Well my dog is a damn nazi!!!!! And I am not kidding.

It will sit next to me but I can’t touch it…it bites.
    My son has said that even hell would spit it out!
    If you look at the wrong way you will get bit.
    It even has it’s blood type tatooed.
    It was bred in Germany!
    It will give you ‘shark eyes’!!!!

It is very smart, but very mean!

Biting dogs are cull dogs. When I married Mrs. Funn, she came with a cocker spaniel that would look at you with those big brown cocker eyes, not growl, bark or say anything and then bite the crap out of ya. That dog bit my wife, me and several neighbors. About the time that my newborn son started crawling around the house, that dog disappeared. Complete mystery. Still scratching my head over it. :roll:

35. song_and_dance_man
    35 | July 29, 2011 7:15 pm

orangecrush wrote:

I like the Salvation Army over the Red Cross.

So do I. Back in the 80′s I was honored to be nominated to a regional Director’s Board of the Salvation Army. I got to see firsthand the good work they do, and helping make the decisions on how the money was to be spent was, well, a time in my life I’ll never forget.

\The Red Cross is OK, but the United Way sucks big time.

36. song_and_dance_man
    36 | July 29, 2011 7:17 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

The MDS is the best bang for your buck

So are the Foursquare charities. They funnel, IIRC when I was a minister with them, something like 97 cent to the dollar.

37. yenta-fada
    37 | July 29, 2011 7:18 pm

It’s so hot that this dog is melting.

38 | July 29, 2011 7:20 pm

@ yenta-fada:
    That’s gonna be tough to get out of the carpet.

39. 39 | July 29, 2011 7:21 pm

@ yenta-fada:

Oh, then if you miss the show, download and play on your laptop. I do that in the evening if I’m working from home and the computer’s on. BTW, I’m glad to hear he’s hammering Boehner.

nd can I just say for the record I’m sick of the fucking media blasting the TEA Party for all the woes of the debt ceiling. Where were all these clowns when the community groups were practicing extortion on the banks for loans or on the government for funding? In fact, why don’t they do some HONEST reporting and tell the people the truth -- the law requires that we pay the debts of the United States FIRST from the Treasury. And since Social Security has a fistfull of IOU’s from Congress, that used it like an ATM, that’s a “debt” too. And if the interest on the debt and social security checks don’t get sent out, it will be because Jerk the Wonder Prez specifically told them NOT to send them.

And where, by the way, is the outrage about the White House strongarming the credit rating agencies, which are supposed to be impartial (cough cough)? If there is anyone creating panic and apprehension, it’s the shitbag in the Oval Office and his stenographic media.

Sorry for the bad language on your thread Leia.

40. song_and_dance_man
    40 | July 29, 2011 7:22 pm

huckfunn wrote:

That’s gonna be tough to get out of the carpet.

Don’t you know that ice works well to get gum out of carpet?

/pun inteneded

41. yenta-fada
    41 | July 29, 2011 7:23 pm

@ Carolina Girl:

Whenever Bloomberg or any other Business channel interviews a ratings agency head, the guy is smirking. I’m not making that up. They know they’ve got big salaries and a good scam going because they are paid to shill. That might change in the future when the scam is laid bare.

42. 42 | July 29, 2011 7:29 pm

orangecrush wrote:

OT: Maybe those Egyptian supporter and their Obamaness were naive.

There are none so blind
    As those who refuse to see.
    الجميع يمارس الجنس مع بعقب!
    بعقب! بعقب! بعقب اللعنة!

43 | July 29, 2011 7:29 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

huckfunn wrote:

That’s gonna be tough to get out of the carpet.

Don’t you know that ice works well to get gum out of carpet?

/pun inteneded

44 | July 29, 2011 7:31 pm

good thread on the melting dog!

45. song_and_dance_man
    45 | July 29, 2011 7:41 pm

And waldensianspirit kills the thread.

It’s OK, I probably have more notches than you on my keyboard.

46 | July 29, 2011 7:42 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    lol, just adding to my collection

47. orangecrush
    47 | July 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Israeli scientist discovers method to diagnose autism.

48. Buckeye Abroad
    48 | July 29, 2011 7:45 pm

The notorius “hunting accident.” My uncle had one of those with a beagle that continuously liked to kill the neighboring farmer’s chickens.

49. orangecrush
    49 | July 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Funny comment from Micheal Totten blog. by http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

One of my professors during my time in Germany was the Coptologist Alexander Böhlig, and he told me of staying in Egypt and wondering how the fruitseller kept the dust off the lovely, fresh-looking strawberries that he marketed. One morning Böhlig was up early on the balcony of his hotel room, and he saw the man cleaning the berries: lifting each one by its stem, inserting it into his mouth, sucking the dust off, and spitting. The man would then return each berry to its place among the fruit.

50. song_and_dance_man
    50 | July 29, 2011 7:59 pm

@ orangecrush:

Funny and disgusting.

We are now detaining a man who put his ‘DNA’ into yogurt samples at a local store. A woman recognized the taste and called the cops. There is no large contingent of men who are yogurt eaters, but had this taken place somewhere like San Fran the complainer might have been a man, and there might have been no complaint at all.

51 | July 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Ace linked:

52 | July 29, 2011 8:02 pm

@ orangecrush:
    See? Obama’s White House Rural Council will make sure your strawberries maintain their dust

53 | July 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Buckeye Abroad wrote:

It was the worst case of “mysterious disappearance” that I’ve ever seen.

54. orangecrush
    54 | July 29, 2011 8:04 pm

@ 50 song_and_dance_man: Yah ugly stuff. Deserves a large penalty. I was a food handler for awhile, it never occurred to me to adulterate anyones food. a couple of the co workers though were dumbasses and kind of ignorant.

55. song_and_dance_man
    55 | July 29, 2011 8:05 pm

@ waldensianspirit:

I have a similar link, but yours is much more dramatic.

my lowly link

56. brookly red
    56 | July 29, 2011 8:05 pm

huckfunn wrote:

It was the worst case of “mysterious disappearance” that I’ve ever seen.

/alien abductions… they are for real.

57. Dolphin
    57 | July 29, 2011 8:05 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    Eeeewww! Gross.

58 | July 29, 2011 8:10 pm

brookly red wrote:

huckfunn wrote:

It was the worst case of “mysterious disappearance” that I’ve ever seen.

/alien abductions… they are for real.

ack ack…

59. song_and_dance_man
    59 | July 29, 2011 8:10 pm

huckfunn wrote:

It was the worst case of “mysterious disappearance” that I’ve ever seen.

Who knows? the dog may have said to itself in doggy talk. That’s it, Beneful day after day. I’m outta here.

60. song_and_dance_man
    60 | July 29, 2011 8:11 pm

brookly red wrote:

/alien abductions… they are for real.

They are called Space Coyotes.

61. brookly red
    61 | July 29, 2011 8:12 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Funny and disgusting.

and hopefully he will have a very long stay in an institution where he too will learn to recognize the taste…

62 | July 29, 2011 8:13 pm

@ orangecrush:

I need a dog like Leia that will type my posts for me.

Leia uses Dragon Naturally Barking software.

She can’t actually type.

63. song_and_dance_man
    63 | July 29, 2011 8:14 pm

@ Dolphin:
    It was, and is. And the jokes flew among the officers. I won’t bore nor disgust you with details.

64. Buckeye Abroad
    64 | July 29, 2011 8:18 pm

It was the worst case of “mysterious disappearance” that I’ve ever seen.

It gets around.

65. song_and_dance_man
    65 | July 29, 2011 8:18 pm

brookly red wrote:

Based on previous charges I think he’s already familiar with it.

66. song_and_dance_man
    66 | July 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Leia uses Dragon Naturally Barking software.

Isn’t that made by Dogsetta Stone?

67. Dolphin
    67 | July 29, 2011 8:19 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    Please don’t! I am still gagging just thinking about it.

68 | July 29, 2011 8:22 pm

@ brookly red:

I don’t think most people have taste buds in that part of their body…

69 | July 29, 2011 8:22 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Leia uses Dragon Naturally Barking software.
    Isn’t that made by Dogsetta Stone?

I believe so…

70. brookly red
    70 | July 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Dolphin wrote:

@ song_and_dance_man:
    Please don’t! I am still gagging just thinking about it.

perhaps gagging was not the word you should have used…

71. song_and_dance_man
    71 | July 29, 2011 8:23 pm

@ Dolphin:

He’s one of the tamer ones housed in the place these kind occupy. There are some disgustingly degenerate ones there.

72. savages_girl
    72 | July 29, 2011 8:25 pm

@ huckfunn:

My dog is a democrat.

LOL! Great picture -- is that your pup?

73 | July 29, 2011 8:26 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

@ Dolphin:

You work on Capitol Hill now?

74. song_and_dance_man
    74 | July 29, 2011 8:27 pm

I should have said Dogsetta Bone, but the chance was missed.

That is one beautiful dog. What breed is it?

75. NoThreat2U
    75 | July 29, 2011 8:30 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

brookly red wrote:
    /alien abductions… they are for real.
    They are called Space Coyotes.

Some people call me the space coyote….some call me the gangster of love…..

76. song_and_dance_man
    76 | July 29, 2011 8:31 pm

You work on Capitol Hill now?

You know, had my comment been dropped into a thread discussing the Congress, it would have fit to a tee. For the Left, at least. And a few of the Right too.

77. Dolphin
    77 | July 29, 2011 8:34 pm

@ brookly red:
    Nope, had it correct and yes, I did hesitate before I hit submit -- lol! ;-)

78. song_and_dance_man
    78 | July 29, 2011 8:35 pm

I’m watching Mitch on the Senate floor and Feinstein behind him looks as haggard as ever. Had she a different face shape she could give Helen Thomas a run….

79 | July 29, 2011 8:35 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

Leia is a Sheltie

80 | July 29, 2011 8:36 pm

I found the Obama Debt Plan, BTW…

81. savages_girl
    81 | July 29, 2011 8:36 pm

@ NoThreat2U:

Some people call me the space coyote….some call me the gangster of love…..

LOL

82. song_and_dance_man
    82 | July 29, 2011 8:38 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

Some people call me the space coyote….some call me the gangster of love…..

Some people call me Maratruchi
    Cause I move with the impetus of coke

83. NoThreat2U
    83 | July 29, 2011 8:38 pm

@ savages_girl:
    Honey, it just fit so well. lol That was the first thing that came to mind when I read it.

84. NoThreat2U
    84 | July 29, 2011 8:39 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    Thank you for the correction. All this time I was calling you Maurice. lol

85. chickadee
    85 | July 29, 2011 8:43 pm

lobo91

Leia is a Sheltie

What a great guest post from Leia. Tell her she is doing wonderful work for other doggies and they surely love her for it. What a good girl.
    Mark Levin is really a remarkable man. A true Patriot and a dog lover. I have all his books, including “Rescuing Sprite.”
    I love how he always called him Sprity.

86. song_and_dance_man
    86 | July 29, 2011 8:45 pm

I found the Obama Debt Plan, BTW…

That’s too good. Sorta like the old google search results one got if you keyed in French Military Victories and hit I’m Felling Lucky. The return would be ‘didn’t you mean French Military defeats?

google has changed the way the returns come back, so I guess the French are off the hook?

87. Dolphin
    87 | July 29, 2011 8:46 pm

@ NoThreat2U:
    Wwwhhhhss-lll

Don’t know any better to do that -- lol!

88. NoThreat2U
    88 | July 29, 2011 8:49 pm

@ Dolphin:
    LOL LOL LOL LOL

89. song_and_dance_man
    89 | July 29, 2011 8:49 pm

@ NoThreat2U:

Maurice works. It has a foreign sexy kind of mojo thing going on.

90. song_and_dance_man
    90 | July 29, 2011 8:51 pm

@ Dolphin:
    I’ll be keeping an eye on you sister.

/taps fingers.

91 | July 29, 2011 9:03 pm

savages_girl wrote:

@ huckfunn:

My dog is a democrat.

LOL! Great picture – is that your pup?

Nope. Mine’s a black lab. That pic was via the intertoobs.

92. NoThreat2U
    92 | July 29, 2011 9:19 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    Maurice is kinda the ghey. lol But you aren’t…you da man!

93. NoThreat2U
    93 | July 29, 2011 9:37 pm

CW you here????

94. 94 | July 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Carolina Girl wrote:

Xeon wrote:
    I love dogs, I love Mark Levin, and I love this place.

That he is! :)