A ±90 Foot Drop – Full Version

by Bunk X ( 68 Comments › )
Filed under History, OOT, Open thread, Sports at November 9th, 2011 - 11:00 pm

Surfing is nothing but controlled falling in moving water, but this is a jaw dropper. Garrett McNamara is a professional big wave surfer who travels a world wide circuit, and on this particular outing off the shores of Portugal, he caught a rogue wave, estimated to be 90 feet tall at the crest. Here’s another take:

Garrett McNamara caught a monstrous wave Tuesday off Nazaré in Portugal, but did the wave face measure anywhere close to 90 feet, as a witness in the surfer’s group implied and as news reports suggested? Is it the largest wave ever ridden, as stated in the headline of a news release issued after the epic tow-surfing session?

Both points are debatable based on footage provided by McNamara to GrindTv.com, for its Tuesday afternoon post on the surfer’s incredible ride.

It was, without doubt, an amazing performance by the big-wave surfing icon from Hawaii. The wave face, however, does not appear to measure 90 feet. It’s worth noting, though, that footage captured from up high or far away, as was mostly the case here (there is some helmet-cam footage), can be misleading.

According to the folks who were there:

McNamara, a big-wave surfing icon from Hawaii, was riding large waves with Andrew Cotton and Al Mennie when three gigantic waves appeared on the outside. Cotton used a personal watercraft to tow McNamara onto the massive shoulder of one of those rogue waves. Mennie was siting in the channel on another vessel, acting as lifeguard, and described the event: “Everything seemed to be perfect, the weather, the waves. Both Cotty and I rode two big ones in the 60-foot-plus range and then when Garrett got on the rope a wave, maybe 30 feet bigger, came out of the canyon.

A fifteen-foot tall wall of water intimidates many surfers, but the guys who get the most credit are those running the towing operation on huge offshore breaks. They time the swells, estimate the breaks, and after dropping  their cargo of brass balls off of a multi-story tower of water, manage to escape with their lives.

Fortunately, most of us don’t deal with that kind of awe-inspiring death-defying thrill-seeking bravado because we can be internet dare-devils instead, on
The Overnight Open Thread.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

68 Responses to “A ±90 Foot Drop – Full Version”

1. tuco
    1 | November 9, 2011 11:07 pm

I could do that. I just don’t want to.

2. 2 | November 9, 2011 11:12 pm

The advent of tow-in surfing has made riding huge waves a reality -- far cry from the wave Greg Noll rode at Makaha back in the 60′s. Paddling out in those days was a commitment.

Having spent considerable time at Mavericks in Northern California, I have nothing but respect for the big guns that face a 30 ft. wall of water. My best was a 12′ at Todos Santos in my 20′s when two Heinekins made me very, very brave.

3. Calo
    3 | November 9, 2011 11:14 pm

Water, water, water.
    I’m surround by water almost daily.

Swim team extrodinare car pool mommy, fond of hanging out in parking lots for long periods of time many times a week while lurking on Blogmock.

4. AZfederalist
    4 | November 9, 2011 11:17 pm

Brazos

Two big ones

5. 5 | November 9, 2011 11:21 pm

@ tuco:
    I’ve done that. Prove that I didn’t.
    I recobanize your nic from a long time ago. Prove that I don’t.

6. 6 | November 9, 2011 11:26 pm

@ Carolina Girl:
    Mavericks has a rep.
    There was an article in Alaska Magazine(?) about towing surfers past a nasty break with huge sets coming in. Gunning the engine, the tow-er almost lost power on the face before he got over the lip. Would have been certain death.

7. Prebanned
    7 | November 9, 2011 11:29 pm

Bunk X wrote:

@ tuco:
    I’ve done that. Prove that I didn’t.
    I recobanize your nic from a long time ago. Prove that I don’t.

I have 3 people who saw that you did not do that, they wish to remain anonymous.

8. 8 | November 9, 2011 11:30 pm

@ Prebanned:
    Guess I’m busted. I was more of a river rat anyway.

9. Prebanned
    9 | November 9, 2011 11:32 pm

@ Bunk X:
    :-)

10. Calo
    10 | November 9, 2011 11:32 pm

@ Prebanned:

Joint press conference between you and the others please.

I wish to discredit Bunk.

11. 11 | November 9, 2011 11:35 pm

Calo wrote:

Water, water, water.
    I’m surround by water almost daily.

Bladder problems?

12. 12 | November 9, 2011 11:37 pm

Holy Big Kahuna that was a big wave… :shock:

13. 13 | November 9, 2011 11:37 pm

@ Calo:
    Piss away. I diffused the situation by speaking truth to power.

14. 14 | November 9, 2011 11:38 pm

Calo wrote:

@ Prebanned:

Joint press conference between you and the others please.
    I wish to discredit Bunk.

You can’t discredit Bunk, he aint go to credit to be dis’d… :shock:

15. 15 | November 9, 2011 11:38 pm

Bunk X wrote:

@ Calo:
    Piss away. I diffused the situation by speaking truth to power.

I thought you only spoke truth to powder…

16. Prebanned
    16 | November 9, 2011 11:39 pm

Calo wrote:

@ Prebanned:

Joint press conference between you and the others please.
    I wish to discredit Bunk.

The Law office of James Sokolove will begin airing commercials, we can make this thing a class action lawsuit!
    We are going to take our country back, YeeeeAaaarrrrggghhhh!

17. tuco
    17 | November 9, 2011 11:42 pm

@ Bunk X:

I posted what was no doubt an incredibly profound comment many moons ago which may or may not have involved some sort of fart humour. Either way, it was a long time between drinks and I’ve already quadrupled my total post count in one day.

18. Calo
    18 | November 9, 2011 11:46 pm

@ Prebanned:
    Yes! we are the 99% who iz gonna take steal Bunk’s mojo

19. 19 | November 9, 2011 11:46 pm

doriangrey wrote:

Holy Big Kahuna that was a big wave…

Ever read Corky Carroll‘s column in the OC Register? He’s got some good stories on the history of SoCal surfing.

20. Bob in Breckenridge
    20 | November 9, 2011 11:47 pm

A ±90 Foot Drop

BFD, I jumped out of a perfectly good plane from 15,000 feet.

/Yeah, I rock. :)

21. 21 | November 9, 2011 11:49 pm

@ tuco:
    Fart humour is always a colourful addition to any blogthread. Have at it.

22. Calo
    22 | November 9, 2011 11:52 pm

@ Bunk X:

colourful

Seething, English style right now.
    :wink:

23. Prebanned
    23 | November 9, 2011 11:52 pm

Calo wrote:

@ Prebanned:
    Yes! we are the 99% who iz gonna take steal Bunk’s mojo

Heck, we are the 99 and 44/100ths

24. 24 | November 9, 2011 11:53 pm

@ Bob in Breckenridge:
    Yeah, and I played rhythm guitar with a band I’d never met and who never practiced together. Now THAT was scary.

25. Calo
    25 | November 9, 2011 11:55 pm

@ Prebanned:
    What, we only left Bunk with .56% of his mojo.

I am so gonna pay for that now.
    Thanks Prebanned.

26. 26 | November 9, 2011 11:58 pm

Prebanned wrote:

Calo wrote:
    @ Prebanned:
    Yes! we are the 99% who iz gonna take steal Bunk’s mojo

Heck, we are the 99 and 44/100ths

No Time For LoLos ‘Cause We are the Ivorys — Of The Soap.

27. Bob in Breckenridge
    27 | November 10, 2011 12:01 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ Bob in Breckenridge:

I wasn’t scared. I was 20. And I was ordered not to be scared by my LPO. Now, the 10,000 foot freefall was exhilarating, to say the least.

28. Calo
    28 | November 10, 2011 12:02 am

@ Bunk X:
    Soap joke.
    MUST. BE. QUIET. NOW.

Time to find a tune to drift off to sleep to.

29. 29 | November 10, 2011 12:03 am

@ Calo:
    I’m gonna name my next band
    20-Year Warranty Garage Door Spring.”

30. 30 | November 10, 2011 12:07 am

@ Bob in Breckenridge:
    Cool. My gig was in front of a bunch of *gasp* SUGAR-WIRED MORMONS. Busted 3 E-strings, and the crowd went wild.

31. Bob in Breckenridge
    31 | November 10, 2011 12:09 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ Calo:
    I’m gonna name my next band
    “20-Year Warranty Garage Door Spring.”

Beats the hell out of “The Butthole Surfers”.

/Yep, staying on topic.

32. 32 | November 10, 2011 12:11 am

@ Calo:
    “Why are you foaming so?” said the shaker to the snail.

33. Bob in Breckenridge
    33 | November 10, 2011 12:11 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ Bob in Breckenridge:

I thought caffeine was verboten with them. Or was it Kool-Aid?

34. 34 | November 10, 2011 12:15 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ Calo:
    I’m gonna name my next band
    “20-Year Warranty Garage Door Spring.”

I had a knucklehead working for me a few years back, he wanted to start a band and call it “Hitler Stole my Potato”. Did I mention he was a knucklehead???

35. 35 | November 10, 2011 12:15 am

@ Bob in Breckenridge:
    And “The Surf Punks” sucked donkeys.
    I liked these guys:

36. 36 | November 10, 2011 12:23 am

Names are everything when it comes to garage bands, but we didn’t know it. “Teenage Mutant Ninja Nuns” and “Blind Melon Daquiri & The Continental Breakfast All-Star Blues Review” didn’t make the nut, but “Rufus & The SandBats” had promise.

37. AZfederalist
    37 | November 10, 2011 12:27 am

Prebanned wrote:

Heck, we are the 99 and 44/100ths

Saw this on failblog today: He has a sign

38. 38 | November 10, 2011 12:27 am

@ Bob in Breckenridge:
    Chocolate. Milkshakes. Candy bars.
    It was fun. My beer was in a cooler in the parking lot.

39. 39 | November 10, 2011 12:30 am

@ AZfederalist:
    WIN!

40. 40 | November 10, 2011 12:32 am

41. Calo
    41 | November 10, 2011 12:45 am

@ Calo:

Time to find a tune to drift off to sleep to.

Found it.
    Corny but it works.

42. 42 | November 10, 2011 12:47 am

AZfederalist wrote:

Prebanned wrote:
    Heck, we are the 99 and 44/100ths

Saw this on failblog today: He has a sign

ROTFLMAO… Imitation as the most ruthless form of mockery…

43. 43 | November 10, 2011 12:50 am

Calo wrote:

@ Calo:
    Time to find a tune to drift off to sleep to.
    Found it.
    Corny but it works.

Here, let this coax you into slumber-land…

44. 44 | November 10, 2011 12:56 am

45. Calo
    45 | November 10, 2011 1:01 am

Excellent. I remember that song.

46. 46 | November 10, 2011 1:12 am

@ Calo:
    That’s one of my favorite Stones songs.

47. Calo
    47 | November 10, 2011 1:16 am

@ Bunk X:
    Yep -- never appreciated the Stones til I was more mature.

48. 48 | November 10, 2011 1:34 am

AZfederalist wrote:

Saw this on failblog today:

Saw that on FB last week. I think the closet cons and libertarians are quietly passing that around

49. Alberta Oil Peon
    49 | November 10, 2011 2:09 am

@ Zimriel:
    Here’s another in the same vein.

50. 50 | November 10, 2011 2:37 am

Alberta Oil Peon wrote:

@ Zimriel:
    Here’s another in the same vein.

Now yer talkin’. I’m not out on the rigs or seismic crews any more (thankfully), but I’m still on the road almost 300 days a year (in a good year.) So anybody demanding access to my wallet can fucking well earn it by doing the same. Of course, then they wouldn’t need access to my wallet, now would they?

PS -- None of my clients or employers of the last 37+ years has had much call for people with MAs in Queer Studies or MFAs in Puppetry no matter how expensive the granting institution was.

51. 51 | November 10, 2011 2:55 am

This is what I want for Christmas (hinthinthint):
    If that’s too much, I want one of these.

52. 52 | November 10, 2011 3:01 am

@ Bunk X:

If you don’t already have it, what you need is this…

53. 53 | November 10, 2011 3:02 am

@ Bunk X:
    Damn. That was supposed to be a private message to Calo.

54. 54 | November 10, 2011 3:05 am

@ Mike C.:
    That looks like a good pick for just about anybody, even Dorian.

55. 55 | November 10, 2011 3:28 am

@ Bunk X:

Two more volumes coming. It was published last year because Sam dictated in his will that it was not to be published until 100 years afters his death, and he died in 1910. He came in with Halley’s Comet, and he went out with Halley’s Comet.

If Mr. Peabody loaned me the keys to The Wayback Machine for just one trip, to meet just one person, Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain would probably be my choice. King of the Grouches, and author of some of the funniest material ever written in the English (or any other) language.

56. 56 | November 10, 2011 3:37 am

If this doesn’t make you blow beverages out your nose, you need professional mental health help…

57. 57 | November 10, 2011 3:46 am

And BTW, that is the single most devastationg critical review of a work of literature EVER written. The fiercest critics of my lifetime are mere children in comparison.

Of course, perhaps their subjects in these diminished days weren’t up to the task, either.

58. 58 | November 10, 2011 5:32 am

Good morning everyone. Yesterday was black and white, today it’s expired colour film…

59. Lost
    59 | November 10, 2011 6:49 am

For Phillip Daniel:
    Thought of you when I saw this.
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nHJ6Z8li7Os

60. Lost
    60 | November 10, 2011 6:52 am

For those of you who are into revisionist history.

61 | November 10, 2011 7:00 am

@ Mike C.:

Good one.

62 | November 10, 2011 7:23 am

@ Mike C.:

More effective criticism:

Columbia Journalism Review Slams Politico’s ‘Frenzied, Single-Minded Focus’ On Herman Cain

Yet, while the allegations against Cain are significant, it is irresponsible the extent to which some segments of the political press has allowed them to dominate the political news cycle these past nine days.

Much coverage has had a sort of frenzied, single-minded focus that has come at the cost of coverage of just about everything and everyone else.

Take for example, Politico, which surely helped set this sensational tone when they labeled one of its first stories on the Cain scandal “Bombshell.” Since their initial scoop, the website has published 144 Cain-centric stories, only a handful of them about something other than the harassment allegations.

Thanks to the website we have learned—besides the basics of the charges and the fact that Cain denies them—what Haley Barbour thinks Cain should do, and why Newt Gingrich thinks Cain needs better crisis management, and what Karl Rove thinks of Cain blaming the story on the Perry campaign.

Wouldn’t it be nice to know, instead, what Newt Gingrich—or Herman Cain or any of the other potential nominees—thinks of the Euro crisis? Or potential defense cuts? Or creating jobs?

While it may lead the pack in the Cain race, Politico is not alone. The Washington Post has been all over the story, too, with stories or blog posts numbering in the hundreds.

63. 63 | November 10, 2011 8:08 am

Bumr50 wrote:

I disagree that they are significant. Certainly, no news outlet has covered the persistent rumors that Hillary Clinton is secretly gay or that Obama has had trysts with other men. Are these significant stories? Why are they not, but Herman Cain’s rumors are? Let’s face it, the more we know about his accusers, the less credible they seem.

64 | November 10, 2011 8:11 am

It is the Columbia Journalism Review.

The fact that even they stepped in to tell Politico how irresponsible they are speaks volumes.

65. Nevergiveup
    65 | November 10, 2011 8:15 am

Happy Birthday to the United States Marines

66. 66 | November 10, 2011 8:16 am

@ Nevergiveup:

OooRah! Happy Birthday to the Corps! :P

67. 67 | November 10, 2011 8:20 am

@ Bumr50:

That is true. The frenzy against Cain has been unrelenting. I hope he survives it, what with Perry comitting seppuku last night. God, what an awful performance! I can’t believe how vulnerable Obama is and this is the best we can turn out. It is awful. Obama has the luck of the Devil. Maybe he is the antiChrist… :roll:

68. mawskrat