Caturday: Cats on Camera

by 1389AD ( 62 Comments › )
Filed under Afghanistan, Caturday, India, Open thread at February 4th, 2012 - 4:00 pm

Can you find the cat in this picture? Yes, there actually is one!

Twitter member @DealSpaceIN asks:

Bored?? Let’s play a game… Find the CAT in the picture…
Share it if you find & Comment if you didn’t http://t.co/plDp1vvN

Click for full-size view.

Find the cat in the picture!

Curious Snow Leopard Cub Steals Camera Trap

Snow leopard cub steals camera trap

By Katie Scott, Wired UK

A camera trap set on the Afghan Border has captured images of a leap of elusive snow leopards, but also the moment when one of the cubs made off with one of the cameras.

The cameras were set up in the Zorkul nature reserve close to the Afghan border in Tajikistan at the beginning of August, and left there until October. Dr Alex Diment is the Capacity and Development Manager for the Eurasia Programme for the charity Fauna & Flora International (FFI). He told Wired.co.uk that the FFI and Panthera team set up the camera traps to cover an area of around 15 sq km, which stretched across eight separate valleys.

The 11 cameras photographed five separate snow leopards living in one of these valleys, and this included a family with two cubs — one of which took a shining to the cameras and carried one off.

Diment says that the camera traps have made a huge difference in conservationists. “Camera traps have been an amazing piece of technology, and are really maturing as a technology, becoming reliable and giving great results. They are giving us the ability to research animals, which were previously almost entirely unknown.”

More here.

Tags: ,

Comments

62 Responses to “Caturday: Cats on Camera”

1 | February 4, 2012 4:20 pm

Zip asks:

Who paid for this year’s Chevy Volt Super Bowl commercial?

And a bonus letter from an actual, real-life Chevy Volt owner in the local liberal rag:

Pa. Volt rebates

The Chevy Volt is now available in Pennsylvania. I’ve been driving one since July and absolutely love it. It’s fun to drive, easy to charge, comfortable in the extreme and, so far, quite dependable. I’m well aware of the “safety” issues surrounding the delayed battery fires in two crash-test models and I personally have no concerns.

Neither does the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, by the way, which cleared the car and GM recently, declaring the Volt no more dangerous than an ordinary car with gas in the tank.

My only disappointment has come from the poorly advertised state rebate program. Act 178, an alternative fuel vehicle incentive program passed during the Rendell administration, entitles commonwealth residents who buy the new Chevy Volt to a $3,500 rebate. But Joe Sherrick, climate change program manager for the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, seems more interested in technicalities than in climate change prevention. Fine print in the program guidelines defines a “new” car, in part, as having an odometer reading of less than 500. There are exceptions to this 500-mile rule, but above-average customer test-driving is, apparently, not one of them.

So if you do plan to look at the Chevy Volt, I guarantee you’ll enjoy the ride, but please keep your test drives reasonably short so that future purchasers don’t get shafted out of their eligible rebates.

ALAIN CORCOS
    Mt. Lebanon

This makes me want to go out and test drive every single Volt I possibly can, and say things during the test drives like: “Well, I still don’t know…,” ” I want to see how it handles the hill by my house,” and “I have a long commute -- I’m just not sold yet that this ‘gas thing’ you speak of will actually ‘kick in’ once the charge is gone. Let’s see…”

2. NoThreat2U
    2 | February 4, 2012 4:35 pm

@ Bumr50:
    You’re evil. I like that. We should all go and do this. lol

3 | February 4, 2012 4:41 pm

@ Bumr50:

the coal fired chevy volt.

4. brookly red
    4 | February 4, 2012 4:51 pm

test drive it, run it through an OWS camp, swear the accelerator got stuck… yeah like that

5. Lily
    5 | February 4, 2012 4:51 pm

Okay in the first picture is the cat in the left side of picture in the grass….

6. 6 | February 4, 2012 4:52 pm

Nah -- runs mostly on taxpayer dollars.

7. 7 | February 4, 2012 4:53 pm

@ Lily:

Nope…

8. brookly red
    8 | February 4, 2012 4:53 pm

Mike C. wrote:

Nah – runs mostly on taxpayer dollars.

how many miles does it get to a pound?

9. Lily
    9 | February 4, 2012 4:54 pm

@ brookly red:

Well it would be an accident…not to mention the OWS is getting more violent. Could save a lot of money…then maybe they will sue the Chevy Volt…

10. 10 | February 4, 2012 4:54 pm

@ brookly red:

Pounds to the mile -- lots of them.

11. brookly red
    11 | February 4, 2012 4:55 pm

Mike C. wrote:

@ Lily:

Nope…

just in front of the stone wall high and right.

12. Lily
    12 | February 4, 2012 4:56 pm

Mike C. wrote:

@ Lily:

Nope…

Okay I give where is it? LOL! I am always wrong!

13. brookly red
    13 | February 4, 2012 4:58 pm

Lily wrote:

Mike C. wrote:

@ Lily:

Nope…

Okay I give where is it? LOL! I am always wrong!

see my 11

14. Lily
    14 | February 4, 2012 4:58 pm

I see it now….damn.

15. 15 | February 4, 2012 5:00 pm

Pretty kitty! We have a torti that would blen in marvelously on a forrest floor…

16. brookly red
    16 | February 4, 2012 5:00 pm

Lily wrote:

I see it now….damn.

I live in Brooklyn. I can spot a predator.

17. Lily
    17 | February 4, 2012 5:01 pm

@ brookly red:

To see it I was a complete idiot had my husband look….he couldn’t see it either till I pointed it out to him…he said the same thing I did….damn, kinda blends in doesn’t it! ;)

18. Lily
    18 | February 4, 2012 5:02 pm

Heh! ;)

19 | February 4, 2012 5:03 pm

Mike C. wrote:

Nah – runs mostly on taxpayer dollars.

oh man…i forgot about that!

20. Lily
    20 | February 4, 2012 5:04 pm

@ Lily:

*pimf IF I WAS..

21. brookly red
    21 | February 4, 2012 5:05 pm

Lily wrote:

then maybe they will sue the Chevy Volt…

Yer honor, I was driving along minding my own business and the last thing I remembers is rolling down the window and there was this terrible stench, like demon piss, I guess I passed out… that’s my story and I am sticking to it :)

22. Lily
    22 | February 4, 2012 5:09 pm

I still miss my beautiful cat, she died a couple of years ago….that cat loved me so much…now we have a mean german standard size Dachshund……it loves my husband me not so much. Very smart, very well trained…just mean. My neice gave us the dog…I really am starting to question how much my neice loves me…..things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm.

23. Lily
    23 | February 4, 2012 5:10 pm

@ brookly red:

Good one….I’d buy that story. ;)

24. brookly red
    24 | February 4, 2012 5:11 pm

Lily wrote:

Good one….I’d buy that story.

jury nullification is a beautiful thing…

25. Lily
    25 | February 4, 2012 5:13 pm

Isn’t it though??? 8-)

26 | February 4, 2012 5:26 pm

A woman (let call her IceWeasel) is dragging two young
    boys by their arms into a Walmart.
    She is yelling at them & otherwise verbally abusing them.
    A retired gentleman working as a greeter observes the
    whole thing.
    He greets her “Welcome to Walmart”
    She just snarls , “Yeah right” & keeps walking.
    He says , “Excuse me, are those boys twins?”
    She scunches up her nasty looking face & hisses,
    “Twins? What are you talking about, one is nine & one
    is seven. Are you blind or just stupid?”
    He smiles, “Actually neither, I just can’t imagine that
    anybody had sex with you more than once.”
    His manager thought that it was humorous, but that
    his talents might be better suited elsewhere.

27. Philip_Daniel
    27 | February 4, 2012 5:37 pm

28 | February 4, 2012 5:54 pm

Today was take kitteh to the vet day for her annual vaccine boosters. I was surprised at how little trouble i had getting her in the crate, and coming home she didn’t meow at all. I think she’s finally getting acclimated to the once a year vet trip. First couple times she howled like a banshee all the way to the vets place and all the way back home.

29. Lily
    29 | February 4, 2012 5:55 pm

Good one…now I am a Christian but this lady goes waaaaaaaay overboard ……

30. brookly red
    30 | February 4, 2012 6:05 pm

A woman (let call her IceWeasel)

LOL I had forgotten all about her… it amazed me people were actually intimidated by her.

31 | February 4, 2012 6:06 pm

The Osprey wrote:

what? no…that cat DECIDED to SPARE you and not beat on the staff THIS TIME!!!

32 | February 4, 2012 6:09 pm

@ Lily:
    That is one crazy woman.

33 | February 4, 2012 6:13 pm

brookly red wrote:

A woman (let call her IceWeasel)

She did intimidate people over there, basically because
    she was a trouble shooter for Johnson
    Dark Falcon actually called her & Jimmah “LGFs Power
    Couple”

34. brookly red
    34 | February 4, 2012 6:17 pm

Dark Falcon actually called her & Jimmah “LGFs Power
    Couple”

Oh I had forgotten about him too…

35 | February 4, 2012 6:20 pm

brookly red wrote:

Dark Falcon actually called her & Jimmah “LGFs Power
    Couple”
    Oh I had forgotten about him too…

Dems da days huh?

36. Moe Katz
    36 | February 4, 2012 6:23 pm

Are they no longer there? I remember Jimmah as an antisemite.

37. brookly red
    37 | February 4, 2012 6:24 pm

Dems da days huh?

not so much, every day i encounter subhumans. to be honest i just ask God to forgive them and go about my business.

38 | February 4, 2012 6:25 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

Are they no longer there? I remember Jimmah as an antisemite.

I really don’t know who is left, it seems like
    just a bunch of kids now.
    Jimmah is obnoxious, but IceWeasel is the most
    despicable individual that I never met.

39. brookly red
    39 | February 4, 2012 6:26 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

Are they no longer there? I remember Jimmah as an antisemite.

well no more or less that the management

40 | February 4, 2012 6:26 pm

brookly red wrote:

Dems da days huh?

That is the right attitude.

41 | February 4, 2012 6:27 pm

heh…from our email:

OccupyFlintMI @OccupyFlintMi is now following you (@Blogmocracy).

OccupyFlintMi OccupyFlintMI
    #OccupyFlintMI #OccupyFlint #occupywallstreet Time to occupy or vacate? #teamfollowback #Flint #FlintMI #810

42. brookly red
    42 | February 4, 2012 6:29 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

Are they no longer there? I remember Jimmah as an antisemite.
    I really don’t know who is left, it seems like
    just a bunch of kids now.
    Jimmah is obnoxious, but IceWeasel is the most
    despicable individual that I never met.

really? I found her honesty refreshing… she made no attempt to conceal who she was. I pity her.

43. brookly red
    43 | February 4, 2012 6:31 pm

brookly red wrote:

but enough of this, I can no more dwell on that experience than stepping in dog shit… whip it off an go on.

44. Lily
    44 | February 4, 2012 6:34 pm

@ brookly red:

I really wouldn’t know I was banned before she got there.

45. Moe Katz
    45 | February 4, 2012 6:34 pm

@ brookly red:
    Ditto. There’s another room for those who wish to remember.

46. Moe Katz
    46 | February 4, 2012 6:36 pm

@ Lily:
    Me too. Well, I intentionally provoked my banning by reposting an old post of Charles’s that was calculated to embarrass him.

47. Lily
    47 | February 4, 2012 6:36 pm

@ Lily:

Once banned I never went back….it had gotten increasingly hard to read….cj was banning people right and left….for nothing.

48. brookly red
    48 | February 4, 2012 6:45 pm

“… let’s forget you better still”.

49 | February 4, 2012 6:55 pm

marlin fishing in a kayak.

this looks like a blast!

50 | February 4, 2012 6:56 pm

@ brookly red:

I can’t pity her, she is a profoundly cruel woman.
    CJ siced her on Sharmuta & it was merciless.
    Sharmuta is a fagile individual who would have
    opened a vein for that slob.

51 | February 4, 2012 6:57 pm

Who do you like tomorrow?
    I say Giants by four.

52. Lily
    52 | February 4, 2012 7:02 pm

53. Lily
    53 | February 4, 2012 7:07 pm

@ brookly red:

I can’t pity her, she is a profoundly cruel woman.
    CJ siced her on Sharmuta & it was merciless.
    Sharmuta is a fagile individual who would have
    opened a vein for that slob.

Not sure why he would do that….heartless…

54. Lily
    54 | February 4, 2012 7:09 pm

Who do you like tomorrow?
    I say Giants by four.

I say the Giants…..but can lightning strike twice?

55. brookly red
    55 | February 4, 2012 7:11 pm

I can’t pity her, she is a profoundly cruel woman.
    CJ siced her on Sharmuta & it was merciless.
    Sharmuta is a fagile individual who would have
    opened a vein for that slob.

Cruelty is in the eye of the beholder, Sharmuta cast her pearls before swine.

56 | February 4, 2012 7:15 pm

Lily wrote:

Who do you like tomorrow?
    I say Giants by four.
    I say the Giants…..but can lightning strike twice?

I think so. The Giants front four will pressure Brady
    & that gives him happy feet.
    They will be able to double up on Pats recievers.
    The Patriots have only beat one team with a winning record,
    the Ravens in the playoffs.
    Should be a really close game though.

57. Lily
    57 | February 4, 2012 7:17 pm

I think so too.

58 | February 4, 2012 7:17 pm

@ brookly red:

Cruelty is in the eye of the beholder, Sharmuta cast her pearls before swine

Sharmuta is weak & doesn’t believe much of anything.
    I never took her seriously. Weasle on the other hand
    is just vile.

59 | February 4, 2012 7:23 pm

See ya.
    Everybody enjoy Americas Tribal Ritual tomnorrow.
    Football, beer & hot wings, Yeah baby!

60 | February 4, 2012 7:26 pm

marlin fishing in a kayak.

this looks like a blast!

I was wondering how he was going to get that critter into his ice chest on a kayak.

61. brookly red
    61 | February 4, 2012 7:27 pm

Sharmuta is weak & doesn’t believe much of anything.
    I never took her seriously. Weasle on the other hand
    is just vile.

Get over it, bad people do bad things to those too weak oppose them. That is the way of the world. Discussing it only feeds it. Just flush it down the shit hole & move on.

62 | February 5, 2012 8:25 am