What Is Dorian Up To Now? Rat Rod Edition!

by coldwarrior ( 70 Comments › )
Filed under Cars & Trucks, Open thread at February 10th, 2012 - 7:00 pm

From Dorian:

Contrary to common misconception Rat Rods are anything but hastily assembled junkers, nor are they always painted in basic primer with shot-out upholstery.  They come in many varieties from those looking like rusting buckets that would fall apart if you tried to drive them to being almost indistinguishable from the “Classic Hot Rod’s” of the 40′s and 50′s.

What typically signifies the distinction of Rat Rod’s is the meticulous attention to detail in the cars construction, oh and the term Rat Rod can pretty much be attributed to Ed “Big Daddy” Roth who was a custom car pin-stripper and painter out here in California during the 60′s and 70′s.  The engines have thousands to tens of thousands of dollars in them and are nearly as customs as the car bodies. The bodies and suspensions are cut, slammed, raked and assembled to fit specific Rat Rod profiles.

The following are pictures of one of my partners 1937 Ford Pick-up, and yes, it has been cut, chopped, slammed and raked. The truck is called “Lucky 13″ it’s my partners 13th vehicle he has made. Eventually I will get around to posting pictures of the other vehicles that “Flat Ass Broke Racing” is working on.

Terms:

Cut: means to cut the vehicles frame adding and subtracting tubing to change it’s physical geometry.

Chopped: means to lower the roof height and put smaller widows in it.

Slammed: means to lower the suspension so that the vehicles body is closer to the ground.

Raked: means to stretch the vehicles body length.

Tags: , ,

Comments

70 Responses to “What Is Dorian Up To Now? Rat Rod Edition!”

1. SciFiGuy
    1 | February 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Is the drivers door an Original Bonnie and Clyde ambush edition. How many bullet holes are there???? I’d paint it flat black and leave them in it… just for character

2. eaglesoars
    2 | February 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Hey CW, I enjoyed my first (and 3rd)cup of Russian Caravan today!

3. Alberta Oil Peon
    3 | February 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Well, some rat rods are poorly built, but it isn’t, and shouldn’t be a defining characteristic.

One thing that is, IMHO, a defining characteristic of the rat road movement, is the back-to-basics ethic, of cars built by their owners to the best of their abilities.

Rat rodding is a reaction against the streetrod movement, characterized by high-dollar pro-built cars, with nearly every part sourced out of a catalog.

4. 5 | February 10, 2012 8:48 pm

“Davetoglu” <- is it just me, or is the Turkish language about the most hideous and brutish-sounding language Eurasia ever produced north of Arabia?

Vietnamese is a bit hard on my ear and I have never been able to pronounce Welsh words, but a name like "Davetoglu" sounds like a caveman's grunts.

6 | February 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

There is an amazing resemblance between Alfred E Neuman, the Mad Magazine cover kid, and Ahmet Davetoglu, the Turkish foreign minister. In fact, the two have never been seen in the same room together….

Yes… but have you seen Alfred E. Obama?

6. eaglesoars
    7 | February 10, 2012 8:52 pm

@ Moe Katz:

No It’s not the Turkish guy

It’s this guy

7. Moe Katz
    8 | February 10, 2012 8:53 pm

@ huckfunn:

8. Moe Katz
    9 | February 10, 2012 8:55 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    In a couple of the photos, definitely. We should have an Alfred E Neuman lookalike contest.

9. 10 | February 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

We’d have to include Prince Charles and Ted Koppel!

10. unclassifiable
    11 | February 10, 2012 9:30 pm

@ Macker:

Here’s a start.

11. unclassifiable
    12 | February 10, 2012 9:35 pm

@ Macker:

Paulian lineage.

12. unclassifiable
    13 | February 10, 2012 9:37 pm

@ Macker:

And Ron Paul.

13. 14 | February 10, 2012 10:36 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

One of my brothers was a dead ringer for him. Big ears, gapped tooth, goofy smile….Except he had a thinner face.

15. Calo
    16 | February 10, 2012 11:48 pm

I am the red headed stepchild of the OOT.

Good evening and good night.

16. eaglesoars
    17 | February 10, 2012 11:51 pm

OK, I’m going to post this one more time before I go to bed

Andrew Breitbart Drops BOMB on Team Obama: “I Got Video of Obama From College”

nite

17. taxfreekiller
    18 | February 10, 2012 11:54 pm

So, ms tfk and mr tfk out and about to retain freedom and the constitution.
    In Dallas for a bit tonight.
    In a Outback Steak House in East Dallas on the way home,
    waiter is a kid who has spent the last four years waiting talbles to get a degree and he has joined the U.S. Marines because his great unlcle deied in VN in 1966.

One of the tables near us, ms tfk and I, this 4 year old 1/2 american viet girl. Very precoucious, very smart, very cute, she came over to our table, looked up at ms tfk, said, your so nice and your guy he is so mean looking, why you stay with him…

ms tfk says, Your free because of him and Sgt. Jerry Michael Shriver and you will make the difference soon in your life of freedom.

NEVER FORGET THAT YOUNG LADY.

19 | February 11, 2012 12:11 am

there is going to be violence shortly.

20 | February 11, 2012 12:18 am

wow, am i pissed off. i just got a comment deleted on my own blog

20. Calo
    21 | February 11, 2012 12:23 am

OMG! LOL!
    Seriously, I needed a good belly roll today.

In my world, it’s been Friday the 13th all day.
    And, you just brightened an otherwise bleak day for me.

21. NoThreat2U
    22 | February 11, 2012 12:23 am

‘Twernt me who did it.

23 | February 11, 2012 12:24 am

Calo wrote:

OMG! LOL!
    Seriously, I needed a good belly roll today.
    In my world, it’s been Friday the 13th all day.
    And, you just brightened an otherwise bleak day for me.

furious

24 | February 11, 2012 12:24 am

tachy…

24. NoThreat2U
    25 | February 11, 2012 12:25 am

@ Calo:
    Why you having a bad day? Do you need me to kick someone’s ass for ya? I can always come to Texas and straighten things out for ya…I am sure I can find a place to stay :)

26 | February 11, 2012 12:27 am

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

26. Calo
    27 | February 11, 2012 12:28 am

And in other news, Barbie ornaments at Hallmark will be no more after 2012.

How’s that for some worthless trivia?

And, my cat has hepatolipidosis and keeps vomiting up his NG tube to feed him and I might have to put him down soon.

*oooh look, a shiny object*

28 | February 11, 2012 12:34 am

Calo wrote:

And in other news, Barbie ornaments at Hallmark will be no more after 2012.
    How’s that for some worthless trivia?
    *oooh look, a shiny object*

stop fucking around.

9mm in the brainstem for the cat.

28. Bagua's Ghost
    29 | February 11, 2012 12:36 am

@ Calo:

Sad times for kitty. {Calo}

29. Calo
    30 | February 11, 2012 12:37 am

It’s my daughter’s cat.

I’m going to just ignore that comment since I an already 2 grand in the hole with the kitty she adores.

30. NoThreat2U
    31 | February 11, 2012 12:38 am

That is just outright mean! Calo, what does that mean..hepotolipidosis> Is kitty suffering?

32 | February 11, 2012 12:40 am

@ Calo:

maybe barbie can cure her

33 | February 11, 2012 12:42 am

NoThreat2U wrote:

maybe barbie can explain it

34 | February 11, 2012 12:43 am

Calo wrote:

And in other news, Barbie ornaments at Hallmark will be no more after 2012.
    How’s that for some worthless trivia?
    *oooh look, a shiny object*

Goodnight Calo.

38 | February 11, 2012 12:47 am

for sale.

my share in this blog.

38. NoThreat2U
    39 | February 11, 2012 12:48 am

Someone sounds pissed off and it aint Barbie.

40 | February 11, 2012 12:50 am

NoThreat2U wrote:

Someone sounds pissed off and it aint Barbie.

nope. it aint barbie

41 | February 11, 2012 12:52 am

42 | February 11, 2012 12:56 am

red hot moon

43 | February 11, 2012 12:59 am

the best tune…do check it out

44 | February 11, 2012 1:13 am

for calo…

i’m sorry, tough day.

44. NoThreat2U
    45 | February 11, 2012 1:18 am

There will always be tough days…… hang in there. Please post some photos of the twins on facebook….Shannon wants to see them but we wont come to the house since yinz are probably both tired most of time.

46 | February 11, 2012 1:22 am

@ NoThreat2U:

come over! gimme a holla! (we are up north till monday)

46. Bagua's Ghost
    47 | February 11, 2012 1:23 am

Oh no… “ShockWave Plugin crashed”! What do I do?

47. NoThreat2U
    48 | February 11, 2012 1:24 am

How does next Friday sound? We are dying to see the babies!

49 | February 11, 2012 1:26 am

NoThreat2U wrote:

How does next Friday sound? We are dying to see the babies!

date!

50 | February 11, 2012 1:30 am

yinzers, unite!

51 | February 11, 2012 1:34 am

all non-yinzers…this is a great tune, check it out

52 | February 11, 2012 1:48 am

a good pgh tune

53 | February 11, 2012 1:59 am

my peeps

54 | February 11, 2012 2:02 am

for bagua

54. mfhorn
    55 | February 11, 2012 2:55 am

@ Calo:

I’m so sorry to hear your daughter’s kitty. It’s hard to see them suffering.

55. mfhorn
    56 | February 11, 2012 3:04 am

What a way to wake up at 1am. Brakes/tires screeching and a nice *crunch*. Look out the window, there’s a car over the curb at our corner, blocking our drive. At least 3-4 people arguing & shouting at each other. Call the cops, by the time they get here the people are gone but the car’s still here. At least there’s no damage to either of our cars. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was some booze involved though.

Last time we called, back in Sep or so, it was someone trying to break in the house at 6 on Saturday morning, wanting ‘some shit’. If I’d been thinking, I could have handed him some of the presents the cats have left us.

Need sleep.

56. 57 | February 11, 2012 5:44 am

No disrespect, but I just don’t get the whole ‘hot rod’ schtick. I mean, I thought they were ‘cool’ when I was a kid, but I pretty much got over that by 14 or so. And to take anything from the 30s reasonably in one piece these days and whack it up into some wannabe 50s rod is just nuts. Try restoring it to showroom new. Hell, whacking up something from the 50s is pretty much crazy today.

And ‘chopping’ cars and trucks so they have smaller windows and it’s harder to see out of them is just plain stupid. Somebody should send Chrysler/Dodge a memo on that.

Morning rant off.

57. Moe Katz
    58 | February 11, 2012 7:13 am

Mike C. wrote:

Old guitars likewise. Let them be what they were intended to be.

58. mtc
    59 | February 11, 2012 7:41 am

Ha! Now you know how it feels to be censored. Bet you won’t do it to someone else any time soon!

59. 60 | February 11, 2012 7:43 am

@ Moe Katz:

Guitars, banjos, mandolins -- any stringed instrument. Like those vehicles from the 30s, they’re often quite valuable as is or restored.

60. mtc
    61 | February 11, 2012 7:43 am

Please do sell it!

61. mtc
    62 | February 11, 2012 7:47 am

@ Calo:
    I’m sorry about your daughter’s cat. Is that her in your avatar?

62. mtc
    63 | February 11, 2012 7:50 am

Stop being rude to Calo. She is about to lose a cat and that’s your only response? Get lost!

63. mtc
    64 | February 11, 2012 8:08 am

@ NoThreat2U:
    I wish it had been me but no such luck.

65 | February 11, 2012 8:23 am

Mike C. wrote:

by 14 or so.

You aged quickly. Me? I only pretend to be an adult

65. 66 | February 11, 2012 9:00 am

waldensianspirit wrote:

Mike C. wrote:
    by 14 or so.
    You aged quickly. Me? I only pretend to be an adult

Nah. We lived close in to the city, where there were even neater cars. Jags and Porsches, Austin-Healeys and Triumphs, Sunbeams and Lotuses, Alfas and MGs -- rare, exotic, unusual stuff. Grew up wanting one, never had one. Did spend my fair share of time under the hood/frame of a couple of BL products, and have personally pushed an XJ6 blocks down Westheimer in Houston during rush hour -- twice (that cured me of ever wanting a Jag.)

67 | February 11, 2012 9:52 am

@ Mike C.:

They had a car show at Arifjan a couple weeks ago. Kuwaitis love their American muscle cars (not that they actually build them, of course…they buy them in the US and have them shipped over).

Someone had a 7 series BMW with a blown Chevy V-8 stuffed into it.

67. 68 | February 11, 2012 11:14 am

Mike C. wrote:

Morning rant off.

ROTFLMAO… No disrespect or offense taken… I’ll post the before pictures this truck one of days, this was not a “in reasonably one piece’ 37 pick-up. Somebody shot it with a cannon, it’s was full of bullet holes (you can still see some of the bullet holes in the driver side door), and it had been wrecked.

That aside the whole thing behind building these vehicles is kind of a neo-luddite kind of thing. It’s an assertion of the individual’s mastery of pre-computer mechanical engineering level technology. It’s the thrill of building something very powerful and being able to say, yes, I built this myself.

To quote AOP from up-thread…

This is totally dead on the money.

68. 69 | February 11, 2012 11:16 am

Oh, and sorry for not being here to comment on my own thread last night, I was at one of my partners birthday parties… :oops:

70 | February 11, 2012 11:20 am

@ mtc:
    @ mtc:
    @ mtc:

is your only function to harass and whine about certain people here? i apologized to calo and she was giving as good as she got, no blood no foul, but you, you of course just had to predictably chime in. you contribute nothing to this blog save for boorish constant whining and complaining, but only against me, rodan, and 1389. frankly, if you at least contributed something meaningful to the discussion i wouldn’t mind this irritating, childish, and useless behavior. i will refrain from saying what i really want to say to you, so have a nice day.