Friday Night Foodies! Chicken Tikka Masala Open and OOT

by coldwarrior ( 91 Comments › )
Filed under Cold War, Food and Drink, OOT, Open thread at February 17th, 2012 - 7:00 pm

The Bar is Open, and so is the kitchen. Can I get you anything?

Today we are having चिकन टिक्का मसाला; Chicken Tikka Masala. Tikka means ‘chunks’, Masala means ‘mixture of spices’. According to some Foodies, this dish was created by accident in the Punjab less than 50 years ago. It has evolved and now there are as many ways to make it as there are dialects in India. There is no right or wrong way, experiment and prepare it as you like. It has evolved into Britain’s most popular ‘Pub Food’. The first time i had it was at my favorite Indian restaurant in Berlin. I lived on Tikka and on Tandoori Chicken from my favorite (from the linked post + new material):

The first introduction to Indian food I had was in Berlin. There was a small hole in the wall Indian place a couple of blocks away from the BASC near the center of the city. I was out for a walk one afternoon and caught the aroma…the love of Indian food began at that moment! Fortunately, the ‘old man’ spoke English, because at that time my German was very weak. He eventually showed me how to make the recipes that they served. I would moonlight in their kitchen once in a while in exchange for the lessons. Between the full blown kitchen at the BASC, the Indians, the Spanish/Portuguese place at the end of the block, the Turkish Donner Kebab joint around the corner, and the most excellent Szechuan Restaurant at the next U-Bahn stop, I was set for 3 years of good Foodie Stuff!

My version (which changes every time I cook it) is based on the ‘Chicken Tikka’ that comes from  Namsai Express. Namsai Express isn’t a ‘proper’ restaurant, it is a mobile kitchen, a food truck that still operates at the University of Pittsburgh. Every day when I had class from my Sophomore year as an undergraduate through Graduate School they were first choice for lunch. I still have them on speed dial because once in a while the Puti and I will do the two hour round trip to get a big mess of chicken tikka or tandoori chicken, basmati rice, and some naan. The immigrant husband and wife team from the extreme Eastern Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh put in 16 hour days 6 days a week to run that business and all of their food is fantastic.

Lets Get Started:

This dish can be a healthy as you like depending how you prepare it and what ingredients you use. Today I am using 3 pounds of de-boned, skinless, chicken breast. One could also use lamb, fish, or even paneer. Chicken breast works best here fro me. Also, there is heavy cream in the sauce, that can be omitted or replaced with low fat milk. Granted, it wont be as rich and yummy, but it will still be good. So today I will use some light cream sparingly. I like to add some chick peas to the mix both to extend the dish and add a nice texture. This dish can be as spicy as you like. The heat is controlled by using a good hot Sauce like Dave’s Insanity, or Blair’s Death Sauce. I use either  with my own which is made form Habaneros that we grow. You can omit the hot sauces and if you like. However, this dish should have at least a little heat.

There will be Garam Masala, so Here is the review: Indian food is defined by the use of many, many spices. the dishes can range from hot to mild but they are always the most flavorful of all cuisines. The base spices for Indian Cuisine are referred to as Garam Massala; Hetal and Anuja explain the basics of Garam Masala, feel free to deviate and experiment:

Garam Masala may also be purchased at your Indian Grocer or on line.

The marinade: Into a bowl:  Cube the chicken into bite sized pieces. Add enough yogurt to cover the chicken, juice of a lemon. Add all to taste: Garam Masala, cumin, cardamon, cloves, black pepper, ginger,  cinnamon, and cayenne . I use my Habanero sauce here and use a vacuum marinade container that cuts marinate time dramatically. Refrigerate for at least an hour, the longer the better up to 12 hours. You can also skip this part and cook the chicken pieces with the onion at the beginning of cooking and build the sauce in the same pan if you are in a hurry.

Remember, the point of this dish is to simply add  chicken pieces to a spiced sauce. Keep it simple or get complicated. It’s up to you.

At The Stove

Slice up and onion into small pieces. Start some peanut oil or ghee in medium heat in a heavy bottom 8 or so quart pot and sweat the onion. Once it becomes somewhat see through increase the heat and add the chicken from the marinade leaving the extra marinade behind. Get that cooking and add  a cup or two of water and 6 oz tomato paste (I like this touch, it can be left out) Then start adding the spices to taste: Garam Masala, garlic, cumin, paprika, cilantro, just a pinch of kosher salt, cayenne, some curry powder and turmeric if you like. the HOT stuff we talked about earlier, and some cream or yogurt for sauce texture. Add the chick peas last if you like. The sauce should start out watery and cook down as the chicken cooks and extra water evaporates, Simmer for 30 minutes or so stirring often until the chicken is done and the sauce is at a nice thick consistency.

Serve over my favorite: Basmati Rice Basmati means “the Fragrant One” in Hindi, and some Naan.

Granted, this is not the easiest recipe to make, it requires a lot of work and access to many spices. Experiment! All you have to do is marry some chicken pieces with a sauce and serve over rice, No Problem! So, go get an Indian Cookbook (or go here) take the recipes to your local Indian Grocer and get busy exploring this most wonderful of the World’s Cuisines.

Tags: , ,

Comments

91 Responses to “Friday Night Foodies! Chicken Tikka Masala Open and OOT”

1 | February 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Penzey’s Spices

2 | February 17, 2012 7:16 pm

@ Bumr50:

desimart!

Desi

3. 3 | February 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Om nom nom. This is good stuff; every Indian buffet has it.

4. 4 | February 17, 2012 7:27 pm

… I mean, except for vegetarian Indian restaurants, obviously.

5. tunnelrat
    5 | February 17, 2012 7:27 pm

I’ll have a Vodka Soda, please. No lime.

6 | February 17, 2012 7:34 pm

I like their brick-and-mortar store in the strip.

7 | February 17, 2012 7:36 pm

tunnelrat wrote:

I’ll have a Vodka Soda, please. No lime.

slides a kettle one and soda down the bar

8 | February 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

I like their brick-and-mortar store in the strip.

i go to the indian grocery out on mcknightmare road or the one in greentree.

9 | February 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Zimriel wrote:

… I mean, except for vegetarian Indian restaurants, obviously.

then they will use a paneer instead of meat.

10. 10 | February 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Dang! That stuff looks good!

11. 11 | February 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Oh that looks GOOD! I love Indian food!

12. tunnelrat
    12 | February 17, 2012 7:43 pm

slides a kettle one and soda down the bar

Thanks. It’s perfect!

13. brookly red
    13 | February 17, 2012 7:44 pm

tastes great and as an added benefit turmeric opens blood vessels & increases blood flow to the, uh errr, extremities…

and if that wasn’t good enough it also cleans the liver, just in case you happen to have a few beers with you Indian food.

14 | February 17, 2012 7:44 pm

tunnelrat wrote:

slides a kettle one and soda down the bar
    Thanks. It’s perfect!

cheers

15 | February 17, 2012 7:44 pm

@ Macker:
    @ Urban Infidel:

thanks. we have this at least 3 times a month, it is also pretty good for you as well.

16 | February 17, 2012 7:46 pm

brookly red wrote:

yep! and the HOT is good for your gut, brain, and circulation

17. yenta-fada
    17 | February 17, 2012 7:48 pm

From my e-mail:

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS: The real reason that we can’t have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this — you cannot post ‘Thou Shalt Not Steal’ ‘Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery’ and ‘Thou Shall Not Lie’ in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians, it creates a hostile work environment.

18 | February 17, 2012 7:50 pm

@ yenta-fada:

perfect

19 | February 17, 2012 7:52 pm

i made mexican tonight…those mexicans aint so tough if you slice em real thin and marinade them.

20. brookly red
    20 | February 17, 2012 7:53 pm

check this out really good Indian food, reasonably priced, in pouches with a 2 year shelf life… perfect emergency rations

21. brookly red
    21 | February 17, 2012 7:54 pm

i made mecian tonight…those mexicans aint so tough if you slice em real thin and marinade them.

/Rosa! run for it I will try to hold him…

22 | February 17, 2012 7:55 pm

brookly red wrote:

“Recipes for Indian foods have evolved over thousands of years. You don’t have that kind of time.”

23. brookly red
    23 | February 17, 2012 7:57 pm

don’t I? Muhahahahah!

24. brookly red
    24 | February 17, 2012 7:59 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

From my e-mail:

don’t forget the covet part… it creates a hostile non-work environment

25 | February 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Am I wrong, or is this gal Tiny Tim’s big ugly sister? I wanted to kick him in the jimmy.

26. Alberta Oil Peon
    26 | February 17, 2012 8:03 pm

I’m eating smokie sausages cooked on the gas grill. Guaranteed haram or your money back.

27. brookly red
    27 | February 17, 2012 8:04 pm

huckfunn wrote:

I would vote for her over O any day….

28. Alberta Oil Peon
    28 | February 17, 2012 8:06 pm

@ huckfunn:
    What if Santorum drives a Mack? Or a Peterbilt?

29 | February 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Glory starting just now on TCM

Later

30. brookly red
    30 | February 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Alberta Oil Peon wrote:

Pork cooked with out oil… double haram

31. 31 | February 17, 2012 8:09 pm

brookly red wrote:

For a moment there I thought those were going to be Meals Refused by Ethiopians!

32 | February 17, 2012 8:10 pm

huckfunn wrote:

quote of the day on that thread:

” Really, the troops already have to base operations on the lunar cycle. It will be an added burden trying to coordinate combat operations with lunar cycles and menstrual cycles too. “

33. 33 | February 17, 2012 8:12 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Hey! Cut that Full-Bird Lady some slack. She’s running for Gabby Giffords’ old seat!

34. brookly red
    34 | February 17, 2012 8:16 pm

might work to our advantage… killing takes a proper mind set.

35 | February 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Macker wrote:

no, she needs to shut the hell up with the stupid assed ideas. we do not need women in combat. just because she has a bird on her head and is running for congress doesnt make her an expert on combat, fer chrissakes, she’s air force!?! They aint exactly first line army/marine combat troops.

she is talking out her ass and knows not what she says, she is a fool on this topic, period.

36 | February 17, 2012 8:21 pm

brookly red wrote:

might work to our advantage… killing takes a proper mind set.

rush has the amazon combat brigade (or something like that)

37. John Difool
    37 | February 17, 2012 8:21 pm

huckfunn wrote:

If I would have watched that vid before you made that comment I would have said she was semi-attractive, maybe even pretty.

Now I can’t get that image out of my head.

38 | February 17, 2012 8:24 pm

hmmm….

ISMAILIA, Egypt -- Two Iranian naval ships have sailed through Egypt’s Suez Canal into the Mediterranean, in a move likely to be keenly watched by Israel.

“Two Iranian ships crossed through the Suez Canal (on Thursday) following permission from the Egyptian armed forces,” a source in the canal authority said on Friday.

The destroyer and a supply ship could be on their way to the Syrian coast, the source added. Iran and Syria agreed to cooperate on naval training a year ago, and Tehran has no naval agreement with any other country in the region.

39. brookly red
    39 | February 17, 2012 8:26 pm

brookly red wrote:

might work to our advantage… killing takes a proper mind set.

rush has the amazon combat brigade (or something like that)

I know several women warriors… underestimate them at your own risk.

40. brookly red
    40 | February 17, 2012 8:27 pm

hmmm….

ISMAILIA, Egypt – Two Iranian naval ships have sailed through Egypt’s Suez Canal into the Mediterranean, in a move likely to be keenly watched by Israel.

perhaps someone need a ride to France…

41 | February 17, 2012 8:29 pm

brookly red wrote:
    might work to our advantage… killing takes a proper mind set.
    rush has the amazon combat brigade (or something like that)

I know several women warriors… underestimate them at your own risk.

sorry, there is nothing that will change my mind on this. women cannot hang in combat with the infantry. the physical aspects are way too much.

42 | February 17, 2012 8:31 pm

hmmm….

perhaps someone need a ride to France…

now first, i thought the suez was an open waterway, why the permission from the egyptian military? that is such a weird thing to be in an article.

and second…the med is is a dangerous place for a single destroyer and supply ship

43. Aussie Infidel
    43 | February 17, 2012 8:32 pm

G’day Coldwarrior. What’s for dinner? :)

44. Alberta Oil Peon
    44 | February 17, 2012 8:33 pm

And for her to use playground language like, “kick him in the jimmy” shows she is woefully lacking in gravitas. She should have said something like: “evidently Mr. Santorum and myself have some differences on that issue. There are also issues about which we are strongly in agreement. We are both adults, and can work out our differences in a civilized manner.” (thereby spurning the bait offered by the hostile MSM) But she gulped it down and ran with it.

46 | February 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Aussie Infidel wrote:

G’day Coldwarrior. What’s for dinner?

some tikka. and it aint too bad

how are ya?

47 | February 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Alberta Oil Peon wrote:

agh, she’ll learn. once she has to eat 3 or 4 soundbites.

48 | February 17, 2012 8:35 pm

@ yenta-fada:
    :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

48. Alberta Oil Peon
    49 | February 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Recipe for artificial reef:

Take one destroyer, add one torpedo, shake well, drench with sea water.
    Enjoy!

49. brookly red
    50 | February 17, 2012 8:35 pm

hmmm….

perhaps someone need a ride to France…

well the military is in charge now, remember… and besides it is not a modern war ship if it was going to be harmed it would already have happened.

51 | February 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Alberta Oil Peon wrote:

Recipe for artificial reef:
    Take one destroyer, add one torpedo, shake well, drench with sea water.
    Enjoy!

well done! simple, elegant, and sustainable!

51. Aussie Infidel
    52 | February 17, 2012 8:36 pm

hmmm….

Fantastic news. Two more targets for the Dolphins!

Keep ‘em coming ‘I’mADinnerJacket’ and your numbnuts. More the merrier. I hope those ships have a water damage clause in their insurance cover! :)

52. John Difool
    53 | February 17, 2012 8:37 pm

@ Alberta Oil Peon:

We need a new culture of testicular civility.

She just drew a crosshair right on Santorum’s crotch.

54 | February 17, 2012 8:38 pm

well the military is in charge now, remember

ahhh, i forgot about that.

55 | February 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Aussie Infidel wrote:

Fantastic news. Two more targets for the Dolphins!

the med is a very very dangerous place.

55. Aussie Infidel
    56 | February 17, 2012 8:39 pm

Just great mate.

Almost all healed up and as dangerous as ever! :)

56. Aussie Infidel
    57 | February 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Aussie Infidel wrote:

Fantastic news. Two more targets for the Dolphins!

the med is a very very dangerous place.

Well if you’re an Iranian Navy swabby I’d agree! :)

58 | February 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Aussie Infidel wrote:

Just great mate.
    Almost all healed up and as dangerous as ever!

good, any scarring or did you manage to get away with one this time

58. brookly red
    59 | February 17, 2012 8:42 pm

well the military is in charge now, remember

ahhh, i forgot about that.

a minor detail…

59. Aussie Infidel
    60 | February 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Aussie Infidel wrote:

Just great mate.
    Almost all healed up and as dangerous as ever!

good, any scarring or did you manage to get away with one this time

Just the back of my right hand taking its time healing completely. On some STRONG anti-biotics to ward off infections that cropped up whilst using a VERY strong steroid cream for 5 days on the remaining affected burn area. Hopefully given a fortnight I should be 100% with little or no scarring. :)

60. brookly red
    61 | February 17, 2012 8:46 pm

John Difool wrote:

@ Alberta Oil Peon:

We need a new culture of testicular civility.

She just drew a crosshair right on Santorum’s crotch.

for better or for worse that is the way it goes.

61. Aussie Infidel
    62 | February 17, 2012 8:48 pm

Lunchtime here. Back later guys and guy-esses! :)

I love Saturday afternoons! :) :) :)

63 | February 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Aussie Infidel wrote:

a little staph…i bet

64 | February 17, 2012 9:03 pm

Hey is NT2U ok?

65 | February 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

Hey is NT2U ok?

i suppose so

66 | February 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

Hey is NT2U ok?

she was on facebook today.

66. swamprat
    67 | February 17, 2012 9:56 pm

chicken tikka masala is a cutting edge energy breakthrough;

video here;

68 | February 17, 2012 9:58 pm

brookly red wrote:

I’ve got some Madras Lentil pouch packs like those from Trader Joe’s. Quite tasty, one of my favorite meatless meals. Goes nice over some basmati or jasmine rice.

68. swamprat
    69 | February 17, 2012 9:59 pm

@ swamprat:
    Please note the doppler effect at the end of the video. The cats will have a lower pitch as they recede.

69. mfhorn
    70 | February 17, 2012 10:18 pm

@ Alberta Oil Peon:

Why does the new Iranian Navy have glass hulls?

So they can see the old Iranian Navy.

70. Philip_Daniel
    71 | February 17, 2012 10:20 pm

Theme and Variations for String Quartet by Josef Rheinberger. Performed by the Sonare Quartett.

Writing of this work, Wilhelm Altmann, perhaps the greatest-ever chamber music critic, remarks,
    “The Theme with Variations for String Quartet, Op.93, is one of the grandest passacaglias ever written. No quartet society which prides itself on artistic programs should neglect it.”

The Theme and Variations is surely one of the most extraordinary and effective pieces ever written for string quartet. There is not a superfluous note. It is the cello playing solo which softly gives out the theme upon which the subsequent 50 variations are based. While none of the eight measure variations are repeated, the magnitude and tremendous scope of this work cannot but impress both listener and player. Rheinberger’s highly sophisticated manner of treating a theme and variations is literally a compendium of techniques for composers which even surpasses Beethoven in this respect.

71. 72 | February 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Maya Angelou’s latest….

Roses are red, Violets are blue
    America sucks, and so do those Jews.
    If who doesn’t love little Barack and big Michelle,
    Get on a bus that’s going to hell.

Barack is God and Michelle is thin,
    In the fantasy world that I live in.
    I vote based on the color of my skin,
    But again, that’s the world me and Samuel L. Jackson live in.

Read the rest here.

72. Bob in Breckenridge
    73 | February 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Your recipe is too much work. I’ll make just Ramen noodles with curry powder. :)

73. refugee000
    74 | February 17, 2012 11:10 pm

@ Macker:

LMAO!

75 | February 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Chucky is have a meltdown over Foster’s Freeze.

76 | February 17, 2012 11:26 pm

Macker wrote:

But again, that’s the world me and Samuel L. Jackson live in.

I hear he’s going to get a lifetime achievement award from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the gratuitous use of “muhfuggah”.

76. 77 | February 17, 2012 11:52 pm

@ The Osprey:

Well ain’t that a muhfuggah! 8)

78 | February 18, 2012 12:31 am

I am the Highway (Acoustic) -- Chris Cornell

78. Alberta Oil Peon
    79 | February 18, 2012 12:56 am

@ Macker:
    LOL!

79. 80 | February 18, 2012 2:34 am

@ The Osprey:
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zToZZOTmeXo

80. 81 | February 18, 2012 2:38 am

@ Bunk X:
    Cain’t edit that link a’tall. So here’s this:

81. 82 | February 18, 2012 2:40 am

@ The Osprey: Try this.

82. 83 | February 18, 2012 4:43 am

It isn’t just the physical aspect of combat. It is my experience in the martial arts that even the toughest women lack the warrior mindset. This may be partly cultural, but I think it is partly genetic/sexual. We know that the sex hormone testosterone is related to aggression in males. Women have some testosterone as well, though usually in much smaller quantities (I believe that they also have fewer receptors for the hormone, but it has been a long time since AP biology), but women are universally seen as less aggressive. While there are exceptions to this, they are the anomoly. Women would have to shift away from being feminine to be effective infantry troops. That is not to say that there aren’t plenty of roles in the military that women are suited for, buut the role of “warrior” isn’t one of them.

83. 84 | February 18, 2012 5:26 am

Indian food -- there’s a thought. Haven’t had any in a good long while.

84. Guggi
    85 | February 18, 2012 7:00 am

U.S. Military Flying Drones Over Syria

The United States is flying unmanned drones over Syria to monitor the country’s escalating violence, U.S. defense officials told NBC News. The military and intelligence aircrafts are not harbingers of a U.S. attack on Syrian forces, the officials said, but are being used to gather evidence that can be used to “make the case for a widespread international response.”

(…)

85. 86 | February 18, 2012 7:39 am

Mike C. wrote:

Indian food – there’s a thought. Haven’t had any in a good long while.

And I’ve never had any…I know I’m missing out on something! 8)

86. 87 | February 18, 2012 8:23 am

@ Macker:

Wadda you, nuts? Get yourself out for a curry or something this instant!

88 | February 18, 2012 8:53 am

I love Indian food particularly the bread.

89 | February 18, 2012 9:12 am

agreed, your excepts can be the russians, they had some bad ass female snipers in ww2

90 | February 18, 2012 9:17 am

Bob in Breckenridge wrote:

Your recipe is too much work. I’ll make just Ramen noodles with curry powder.

Singapore noodles!

90. 91 | February 18, 2012 9:19 am

the russians had some bad ass female snipers in ww2

I don’t think IF is saying women can’t be deadly. Those Russian female snipers during WWII certainly were deadly, as the Germans can attest. Anyone can be deadly under the right circumstances. I would not want to piss off PrincessNatasha for example. However women like those Russian snipers and PrincessNatasha are the exception, not the rule.