First time visitor? Learn more.

Real and Perceived Consequences of Shale Gas Development

by huckfunn ( 145 Comments › )
Filed under Academia, Barack Obama, Business, Cult of Obama, Democratic Party, Economy, Education, Elections 2012, Energy, Environmentalism, government, Marxism, Political Correctness, Progressives, Regulation, Socialism at February 20th, 2012 - 3:00 pm

There has been a dramatic increase in the numbers of shale gas wells drilled in the U.S. during the past ten years. The most prolific shale gas fields are the Barnett (north central Texas), Haynesville (northeastern Texas and western Louisiana) and the Marcellus (portions of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia and New York). Hydraulic fracturing (fracing) of the producing formation is the process by which high volumes of water are pumped downhole under high pressures in order to fracture the productive formation thereby releasing the gas to production.

As one would expect, the anti-fossil fuel green crowd and their lawyers have sought to do everything in their power to block drilling in these new gas fields. Their main ploy has been to claim that fresh groundwater has been polluted as a result of the fracing process. The main and simple truth of the matter is that (as illustrated above) the groundwater formation, just below the surface,  is cased with surface casing pipe. Additionally, the entire production string is cased from the producing zone to the wellhead . The producing formation which is fraced, is a mile and a half below the groundwater formation. The idea that fracing a well causes ground water contamination has as much merit as someone who lives a mile away from you claiming that their ceiling leaks every time you flush your toilet.

The University of Texas’ Energy Institute last week concluded and published the results of an exhaustive investigation into many issues related to shale gas development. Their conclusions pretty much mirror what industry experts have been saying for years. The findings

Researchers found no evidence of aquifer contamination from hydraulic fracturing chemicals in the subsurface by fracturing operations, and observed no leakage from hydraulic fracturing at depth.

Many reports of groundwater contamination occur in conventional oil and gas operations (e.g., failure of well-bore casing and cementing) and are not unique to hydraulic fracturing.

Methane found in water wells within some shale gas areas (e.g., Marcellus) can most likely be traced to natural sources, and likely was present before the onset of shale gas operations.

Surface spills of fracturing fluids appear to pose greater risks to groundwater sources than from hydraulic fracturing itself.

Blowouts — uncontrolled fluid releases during construction or operation — are a rare occurrence, but subsurface blowouts appear to be under-reported.

The study further shows that public perception of the fracing process has been negatively impacted by the overwhelmingly negative reporting by the biased and scientifically ignorant press.

Energy Institute researchers analyzed print, broadcast and online news media coverage of shale gas development in the Marcellus, Haynesville, and Barnett shale areas. They found that the tone of media coverage has been overwhelmingly negative in all forms of media. Roughly two-thirds of the articles and stories examined were deemed negative, a finding that was consistent nationally and at local levels.

Researchers also found that less than 20% of newspaper articles on hydraulic fracturing mention scientific research related to the issue. Similarly, only 25% of broadcast news stories examined made reference to scientific studies, and about 33% of online news coverage mentioned scientific research on the issue.

Don’t take my word for it. Read the entire article here.

Tags: , ,

Comments

Comments and respectful debate are both welcome and encouraged.

Comments are the sole opinion of the comment writer, just as each thread posted is the sole opinion or post idea of the administrator that posted it or of the readers that have written guest posts for the Blogmocracy.

Obscene, abusive, or annoying remarks may be deleted or moved to spam for admin review, but the fact that particular comments remain on the site in no way constitutes an endorsement of their content by any other commenter or the admins of this Blogmocracy.

We're not easily offended and don't want people to think they have to walk on eggshells around here (like at another place that shall remain nameless) but of course, there is a limit to everything.

Play nice!

145 Responses to “Real and Perceived Consequences of Shale Gas Development”
( jump to bottom )

  1. Bumr50
    1 | February 20, 2012 3:14 pm

    Here’s a scale diagram showing both the Marcellus and Utica formations, along with the depth of a typical water well and potable water table.


  2. 2 | February 20, 2012 3:22 pm

    I’ve had the perception for many years that the FCTM™ wants the general public to believe that all forms of energy are obtained using 1960s technology. Nothing is further from the truth!


  3. Dolphin
    3 | February 20, 2012 3:39 pm

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1009530098/fractionation

    Check out the video.


  4. huckfunn
    4 | February 20, 2012 3:40 pm

    @ Dolphin:
    That link’s busted.


  5. 5 | February 20, 2012 3:42 pm

    Ya’ll didn’t expect the media to tell the truth, did ya?

    Seriously? Maybe it is time that Atlas Shrugged was made required reading in High School.

    They are doing this on purpose to help the progressive elites gain power. Destroy the middle class and make the populace dependent upon the rulers. Destroy the influence of the churches and make the charities pawns of and totally dependent on the government.

    Fatherof10


  6. Dolphin
    6 | February 20, 2012 3:44 pm

    @ huckfunn:
    Strange -- it is a redirect. Try

    http://www.fracknation.com


  7. huckfunn
    7 | February 20, 2012 3:45 pm

    @ Bumr50:
    Last year the company I work for drilled a 2 legged horizontal Austin Chalk well. The vertical section was 7700 feet and the 2 horizontal sections were 4000 feet each. I guy living 1/2 mile down the road in the opposite direction of the well told our production engineer that the day after we fraced, there was mud in his water well. The engineer told him to get lost.


  8. huckfunn
    8 | February 20, 2012 3:48 pm

    Dolphin wrote:

    @ huckfunn:
    Strange – it is a redirect. Try

    http://www.fracknation.com

    Got it. Thanks. I’m going to email those morons this Energy Institute report.


  9. Dolphin
    9 | February 20, 2012 3:50 pm

    @ huckfunn:
    I am sure that the drought had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it.


  10. Dolphin
    10 | February 20, 2012 3:53 pm

    @ huckfunn:
    Fracknation are the good guys. Gasland are the idiots.


  11. Alberta Oil Peon
    11 | February 20, 2012 3:54 pm

    @ huckfunn:
    Huck, the Fracknation webpage is to raise money for a pro-fracing movie. Phelim Mcaleer is one of the good guys.

    BTW, kudos for spelling it right!

    Most of the wells on which I’ve worked over the last 2-3 get multi-stage fracs in the horizontal leg, and by no means all of them are shale-gas wells. Multi-stage fracing works magic on tight sand reservoirs, too.


  12. huckfunn
    12 | February 20, 2012 3:56 pm

    Dolphin wrote:

    @ huckfunn:
    Fracknation are the good guys. Gasland are the idiots.

    OK, got it. I was watching the Fracknation video about the Gasland video. I’m multi-tasking here. Got several projects open at the same time.


  13. huckfunn
    13 | February 20, 2012 4:00 pm

    Alberta Oil Peon wrote:

    @ huckfunn:
    Huck, the Fracknation webpage is to raise money for a pro-fracing movie. Phelim Mcaleer is one of the good guys.

    BTW, kudos for spelling it right!

    Most of the wells on which I’ve worked over the last 2-3 get multi-stage fracs in the horizontal leg, and by no means all of them are shale-gas wells. Multi-stage fracing works magic on tight sand reservoirs, too.

    I’ve been around oil & gas wells for the better part of 36 years… long before the kids at the MFM outlets ever heard of fracing. They should understand that the root work is “fracturing” not “frackturing”. :wink:


  14. 14 | February 20, 2012 4:03 pm

    With gas prices at an all-time high and no reduction in sight in the immediate future, I’ll bet that Obama is practially peeing all over himself in joy. All the Republican candidate has to do is to show strong support for energy exploration and a reduction in regulations for gas and oil production/exploration. We need to go after Obama like white on rice (pun most likely intended) about his total failure on the domestic front and the economy. He is the enemy of liberty and prosperity in America!


  15. Buffalobob
    15 | February 20, 2012 4:04 pm

    There is a massive effort to stop or delay all energy development. Millions of dollars are given to the environmentalnut organizations by philanthropic trusts apparently run and directed by progs. The press hasn’t a clue of what the facts are nor do they care. They are handed the propaganda and the repeat it. The Gasland documentary which shows water from faucets burning has as much credibility as algor’s movie. But the reporters and journalist and screen writers work the lies into the everyday information distribution. Why would the Rockefeller Foundation or HP foundation funnel money to stop Canadian oil development?


  16. Buffalobob
    16 | February 20, 2012 4:09 pm

    The daily Caller has an interesting expose on this subject. “A Powerpoint presentation obtained by The Daily Caller shows that during a July 2008 meeting, the $789 million Rockefeller Brothers Fund proposed to coordinate and fund a dozen environmental and anti-corporate activist groups’ efforts to scuttle pipelines carrying tar sands oil from Canada to the United States”.

    Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/20/campaign-against-canadian-keystone-xl-pipeline-driven-by-us-foundation-millions/#ixzz1mxU758hY


  17. 17 | February 20, 2012 4:10 pm

    I put a little $$ into ICPAX (Williston Basin) based solely on the fracing concept. If I owned oil wells, we’d be fracing! America has the oil, the technology and the ability to be 100% energy independant. What we do not have are politicians that want us to be #1.
    Pitchforks on sale at Lowe’s.


  18. huckfunn
    18 | February 20, 2012 4:13 pm

    @ father_of_10:
    @ Buffalobob:
    Just this morning Robert Gibbs (BOhole’s campaign manager) had this to say:

    Robert Gibbs, said the president is looking to increase domestic energy production.

    “Just on Friday, the Department of Interior issued permits that will expand our exploration in the Arctic. The president has increased our fuel efficiency and energy efficiency standards so we do use less energy, which will help drive down the price,” Gibbs said. “Our domestic oil production is at an eight-year high, and our use of foreign oil is at a 16-year low. So we’re making progress.”

    Three lies and distortions need to be addressed:
    (1) Any oil & gas discovered as a result of Fed permits being issued this year won’t be produced for another 8 to 10 years at which time the current rulers will hopefully have been shown the door.
    (2) Domestic oil production is at an 8 year high because of drilling taking place on private land. Production from federal lands is down considerably.
    (3) “Use” of foreign oil is at a 16 year low because of high prices and a lousy economy. Note that he used the term “use” rather than “import”.


  19. 19 | February 20, 2012 4:18 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    @ father_of_10:
    @ Buffalobob:
    Just this morning Robert Gibbs (BOhole’s campaign manager) had this to say:
    Robert Gibbs, said the president is looking to increase domestic energy production.
    “Just on Friday, the Department of Interior issued permits that will expand our exploration in the Arctic. The president has increased our fuel efficiency and energy efficiency standards so we do use less energy, which will help drive down the price,” Gibbs said. “Our domestic oil production is at an eight-year high, and our use of foreign oil is at a 16-year low. So we’re making progress.”
    Three lies and distortions need to be addressed:
    (1) Any oil & gas discovered as a result of Fed permits being issued this year won’t be produced for another 8 to 10 years at which time the current rulers will hopefully have been shown the door.
    (2) Domestic oil production is at an 8 year high because of drilling taking place on private land. Production from federal lands is down considerably.
    (3) “Use” of foreign oil is at a 16 year low because of high prices and a lousy economy. Note that he used the term “use” rather than “import”.

    Obama is a 60 terabytes of lies. I’m hoping that someday, before I die, all of his past will be revealed. I hope that someday the liberals will be revealed for being either corrupt America-hating traitirs or absolute ignorant morons and that they will be ridiculed and belitted ad nauseum. Someday.

    Meanwhile, I’ll say here. Liberals are absolute and total idiots. I have no pity o for them. I resent and disdain liberals. They have no value.


  20. citizen_q
    20 | February 20, 2012 4:24 pm

    Sorry for the O/T, but someone posted this at my local gun forum, and I thought it was pretty funny and would share.


  21. huckfunn
    21 | February 20, 2012 4:25 pm

    father_of_10 wrote:

    huckfunn wrote:

    @ father_of_10:
    @ Buffalobob:
    Just this morning Robert Gibbs (BOhole’s campaign manager) had this to say:
    Robert Gibbs, said the president is looking to increase domestic energy production.
    “Just on Friday, the Department of Interior issued permits that will expand our exploration in the Arctic. The president has increased our fuel efficiency and energy efficiency standards so we do use less energy, which will help drive down the price,” Gibbs said. “Our domestic oil production is at an eight-year high, and our use of foreign oil is at a 16-year low. So we’re making progress.”
    Three lies and distortions need to be addressed:
    (1) Any oil & gas discovered as a result of Fed permits being issued this year won’t be produced for another 8 to 10 years at which time the current rulers will hopefully have been shown the door.
    (2) Domestic oil production is at an 8 year high because of drilling taking place on private land. Production from federal lands is down considerably.
    (3) “Use” of foreign oil is at a 16 year low because of high prices and a lousy economy. Note that he used the term “use” rather than “import”.

    Obama is a 60 terabytes of lies. I’m hoping that someday, before I die, all of his past will be revealed. I hope that someday the liberals will be revealed for being either corrupt America-hating traitirs or absolute ignorant morons and that they will be ridiculed and belitted ad nauseum. Someday.

    Meanwhile, I’ll say here. Liberals are absolute and total idiots. I have no pity o for them. I resent and disdain liberals. They have no value.

    Libs are all about the big lie. Truth does not reside in their wretched souls. It’s amazing to watch the President of the United States stand at a pulpit and deliver nothing but lies with a totally straight and sincere face day after day.


  22. 22 | February 20, 2012 4:25 pm

    Got an interesting e-mail yesterday. I took a snapshot of it, and you can access it here. Take a good look at the logo…doesn’t it remind you of anyone in particular?


  23. 23 | February 20, 2012 4:26 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    Libs are all about the big lie. Truth does not reside in their wretched souls. It’s amazing to watch the President of the United States stand at a pulpit and deliver nothing but lies with a totally straight and sincere face day after day.

    The teleprompter has got to have something to do with that. Perhaps it zaps Обама into some sort of zombie? 8)


  24. huckfunn
    24 | February 20, 2012 4:28 pm

    citizen_q wrote:

    Sorry for the O/T, but someone posted this at my local gun forum, and I thought it was pretty funny and would share.

    :lol: That’s a hoot! I’ll have to share that with my gun buds.


  25. citizen_q
    25 | February 20, 2012 4:33 pm

    @ huckfunn:
    I don’t know which is worse, the fact that the MFM is complicit, or having to interact with people who believe it.


  26. Fritz Katz
    26 | February 20, 2012 4:34 pm

    father_of_10 wrote:

    Ya’ll didn’t expect the media to tell the truth, did ya?

    Seriously? Maybe it is time that Atlas Shrugged was made required reading in High School. ….

    and that will happen when?

    Answer: When we get school choice, implement vouchers, and reimbursement of our taxes if we homeschool.


  27. huckfunn
    27 | February 20, 2012 4:36 pm

    Macker wrote:

    The teleprompter has got to have something to do with that. Perhaps it zaps Обама into some sort of zombie?

    That teleprompter needs to be run off also.


  28. 28 | February 20, 2012 4:42 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    Macker wrote:

    The teleprompter has got to have something to do with that. Perhaps it zaps Обама into some sort of zombie?

    That teleprompter needs to be run off also.

    We all know Newt doesn’t need one…Rick Santorum probably not either. The others, I’m not so sure.


  29. 29 | February 20, 2012 4:43 pm

    citizen_q wrote:

    Sorry for the O/T, but someone posted this at my local gun forum, and I thought it was pretty funny and would share.

    LOCAL GUN FORUM? Give us a link! My local gun forum is Arizona Firearms Forum.


  30. RIX
    30 | February 20, 2012 4:46 pm

    Just the fact that the Greens can’t establish anywhere that
    the water table is being polluted due to the process has
    no meaning.
    It is like them being unable to show compelling evidence
    for AGW is beside the point.
    What matters is that they say so!


  31. buzzsawmonkey
    31 | February 20, 2012 4:54 pm

    citizen_q wrote:

    Sorry for the O/T, but someone posted this at my local gun forum, and I thought it was pretty funny and would share.

    That’s a metaphor, right? Obama is the soldier who gives the automatic weapon to the chimp, and the chimp is the Arab Spring.


  32. refugee000
    32 | February 20, 2012 4:55 pm

    Speaking of gas.

    Syrian regime used poisonous gas under Iranian, Russian supervision

    Not that there are really any good guys in these uprisings—but it’s really hitting the fan there.


  33. huckfunn
    33 | February 20, 2012 4:59 pm

    RIX wrote:

    Just the fact that the Greens can’t establish anywhere that
    the water table is being polluted due to the process has
    no meaning.
    It is like them being unable to show compelling evidence
    for AGW is beside the point.
    What matters is that they say so!

    I remember during the 2000 election the dims kept up the mantra “There’s 383,294 votes that haven’t been counted. We must count everyone’s vote. How can everyone’s vote count if all the votes aren’t counted?” Over and over and over. They never could quite explain how they had an exact count of the uncounted votes.
    Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie. Repeat the lie.


  34. huckfunn
    34 | February 20, 2012 5:01 pm

    buzzsawmonkey wrote:

    citizen_q wrote:

    Sorry for the O/T, but someone posted this at my local gun forum, and I thought it was pretty funny and would share.

    That’s a metaphor, right? Obama is the soldier who gives the automatic weapon to the chimp, and the chimp is the Arab Spring.

    Sorry, buzz. Ya got this one wrong. The soldier is the American voter who gave the rifle to Obama. Wait for it … 3…2…1….


  35. 35 | February 20, 2012 5:01 pm

    @ huckfunn:

    Wasn’t 383,294 the number of votes Algore needed to surpass Bush?


  36. huckfunn
    36 | February 20, 2012 5:03 pm

    Macker wrote:

    @ huckfunn:

    Wasn’t 383,294 the number of votes Algore needed to surpass Bush?

    It’s either that or the number of 7th Day Adventists who will get to heaven.


  37. Fritz Katz
    37 | February 20, 2012 5:08 pm

    Macker wrote:

    Got an interesting e-mail yesterday. I took a snapshot of it, and you can access it here. Take a good look at the logo…doesn’t it remind you of anyone in particular?

    Hi Macker,

    I tried to respond at ‘Mackers World‘, but there’s no way to comment because you can’t register at your site. (“I wouldn’t want to be a member of any site that would have me as a member”. — Groucho Marx)

    Check out this scam report.

    In the ‘privacy’ link to a PDF on site, I found an address:

    Solar Savings America
    8022 S. Rainbow Blvd. Suite 185
    Las Vegas, NV 89139

    According to Angies list, Solar Savings America is located in the same building as, wait for it, …

    Poop Magician Pooper Scoopers
    8022 S. Rainbow Blvd Las Vegas, NV

    Cheers,
    -- Fritz Katz


  38. 38 | February 20, 2012 5:08 pm

    @ huckfunn:

    Now see I thought that number for the 7th Day Adventists was 144,000! 8)


  39. 39 | February 20, 2012 5:09 pm

    @ Fritz Katz:

    Send me an e-mail and I’ll register you. You have the damn Russians to thank for that!


  40. Alberta Oil Peon
    40 | February 20, 2012 5:09 pm

    @ Macker:
    Yep. And the bullshit level is equally high. Without those “incentives”, i.e., other peoples’ money, a home solar system could never compete with grid power at the lot line.

    Now if you had to pay the utility to install 20 poles to get the grid to your door, maybe solar would be competitive.


  41. huckfunn
    41 | February 20, 2012 5:15 pm

    @ Fritz Katz:
    As far as I’m concerned, if the marketing of a product includes the words “Eeek-O” “Green” or “Go Green”, it’s a scam and I won’t buy it.


  42. 42 | February 20, 2012 5:16 pm

    The ONLY reason to go solar (and I have some solar at my house) is to be independant. It’s a prepper thing. If you think you are going to save money, you are wrong. If you think that having panels and selling power back to the grid makes a differnce, you are an idiot. But, if you do not want to HAVE to eat your ice cream when the grid goes down in a storm, then solar is great.


  43. citizen_q
    43 | February 20, 2012 5:25 pm

    @ father_of_10:
    sure,

    MD Shooters


  44. RIX
    44 | February 20, 2012 5:26 pm

    @ huckfunn:
    They also alleged that the Republicans supressed the
    votes in Florida.
    Turns out that it was all in Dem precincts.


  45. huckfunn
    45 | February 20, 2012 5:31 pm

    father_of_10 wrote:

    The ONLY reason to go solar (and I have some solar at my house) is to be independant. It’s a prepper thing. If you think you are going to save money, you are wrong. If you think that having panels and selling power back to the grid makes a differnce, you are an idiot. But, if you do not want to HAVE to eat your ice cream when the grid goes down in a storm, then solar is great.

    I’ve thought about solar for my place in New Mexico primarily for hot water. I have a simple gable roof with a southwestern exposure. However, for power outages (coming soon to a neighborhood near everybody) I’m thinking about something like this kind of generator.


  46. rain of lead
    46 | February 20, 2012 5:32 pm

    heh
    the other mccain just gave a big shout out to dod about the heartland institite
    and the madness that is charlie


  47. 47 | February 20, 2012 5:32 pm

    First article I’ve seen in well over a year that actually spelled the damned word correctly -- I’m stunned.

    Oh, and drilling of those expensive completion gas wells has dropped like a rock due to abysmaly low prices. NYMEX Henry Hub at $ 2.62/MMBTU now. Folks like Chesapeake are in deep do-do.


  48. huckfunn
    48 | February 20, 2012 5:34 pm

    RIX wrote:

    @ huckfunn:
    They also alleged that the Republicans supressed the
    votes in Florida.
    Turns out that it was all in Dem precincts.

    I remember that. That whole Florida vote thing was dem scheme to keep counting the votes until they won. It worked for them in Minnesota.


  49. buzzsawmonkey
    49 | February 20, 2012 5:38 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    The soldier is the American voter who gave the rifle to Obama. Wait for it … 3…2…1….

    So what you’re saying is that when Obama said, “I won,” that was the same as the chimp raising the rifle over his head at the end of the video? Sort of equivalent to singing, “We are the chimpions?”


  50. huckfunn
    50 | February 20, 2012 5:39 pm

    Mike C. wrote:

    First article I’ve seen in well over a year that actually spelled the damned word correctly – I’m stunned.

    Oh, and drilling of those expensive completion gas wells has dropped like a rock due to abysmaly low prices. NYMEX Henry Hub at $ 2.62/MMBTU now. Folks like Chesapeake are in deep do-do.

    Oil field trash at your service. :wink: I’ve put together a 1400 Buda-Georgetown unit in East Texas but the leases run out beginning in December of this year. We need at least $5.75 gas to drill one of those and I don’t see that happening this year. CHK stays in deep do-do. Their contractors will pay for CHK’s sins.


  51. RIX
    51 | February 20, 2012 5:40 pm

    @ huckfunn:

    I remember that. That whole Florida vote thing was dem scheme to keep counting the votes until they won. It worked for them in Minnesota.

    That was the plan & until this day a lot
    of Dems will still say that the election was stolen
    Even the NY Times said that W won after they went
    through all of the data.
    Hell all Gore had to do is win Tennessee.


  52. huckfunn
    52 | February 20, 2012 5:43 pm

    buzzsawmonkey wrote:

    huckfunn wrote:

    The soldier is the American voter who gave the rifle to Obama. Wait for it … 3…2…1….

    So what you’re saying is that when Obama said, “I won,” that was the same as the chimp raising the rifle over his head at the end of the video? Sort of equivalent to singing, “We are the chimpions?”

    :lol: I’m a wascally waaaaacist. :roll:


  53. huckfunn
    53 | February 20, 2012 5:45 pm

    RIX wrote:

    That was the plan & until this day a lot
    of Dems will still say that the election was stolen
    Even the NY Times said that W won after they went
    through all of the data.
    Hell all Gore had to do is win Tennessee.

    I don’t remember all of the details, but the Florida judge who made the final ruling against the umpteenth vote count was a democrat; possibly one of the last few truly honest democrats ever.


  54. John Difool
    55 | February 20, 2012 5:52 pm

    @ huckfunn:

    Avenue of Zeros.


  55. huckfunn
    56 | February 20, 2012 5:53 pm

    John Difool wrote:

    @ huckfunn:

    Avenue of Zeros.

    Fist bump!


  56. RIX
    57 | February 20, 2012 5:54 pm

    @ huckfunn:

    I don’t remember all of the details, but the Florida judge who made the final ruling against the umpteenth vote count was a democrat; possibly one of the last few truly honest democrats ever.

    The whole thing was a fiasco & a Dem attempt to be awarded
    an election by the courts that they lost at the ballot box.
    If Obama is not delared the winner in 2012, you just know
    that they will have a swat team of lawyers trying to steal
    it.


  57. 58 | February 20, 2012 5:57 pm

    @ huckfunn:

    Certified oilfield trash here, too. Coming up on 38 years…


  58. huckfunn
    59 | February 20, 2012 6:06 pm

    Mike C. wrote:

    @ huckfunn:

    Certified oilfield trash here, too. Coming up on 38 years…

    I said 36 years above, but I walked up on to the floor of my first drilling in October, 1974 about a month after I got out of the Army. The driller told me exactly where to stand by the rotary table. I watched in awe for several minutes until they made that first connection. Being a worm I just stood there while the other hands backed off.

    You must be damn near as old as I am.


  59. Bagua's Ghost
    60 | February 20, 2012 6:07 pm

    Excellent and informative post and thread.


  60. huckfunn
    61 | February 20, 2012 6:14 pm

    Bagua’s Ghost wrote:

    Excellent and informative post and thread.

    Thank you very much. I’m thinking that someone at Fox News is reading this thread as they just made every point that I stated in # 18 above.


  61. RIX
    62 | February 20, 2012 6:17 pm

    @ huckfunn:

    Thank you very much. I’m thinking that someone at Fox News is reading this thread as they just made every point that I stated in # 18 above.

    Did Megyn Kelly ask about me, or is she still stuck
    on Ludwig?


  62. huckfunn
    63 | February 20, 2012 6:20 pm

    @ RIX:
    :grin:


  63. Bagua's Ghost
    64 | February 20, 2012 6:22 pm

    Imagine if the billions being wasted on “Green Energy” and “Climate Change” and other related scams was being spent to subsidise the drilling industry?

    America would become energy independent and radical Wahhabi Islam would be de-funded.

    We would have a new age of prosperity in the West, India and China would develop faster, and the oil supported radical Islamic states would have far less money to spend on weapons and terrorism.


  64. RIX
    65 | February 20, 2012 6:23 pm

    Later gators


  65. huckfunn
    66 | February 20, 2012 6:23 pm

    Jim Angle just made the following excellent observation on Fox News. “Obama keeps making the point that everyone should ‘pay their fair share’. Obama’s idea of fair seems to be that the rich should pay more rather than everyone should pay something.” Great point!


  66. John Difool
    67 | February 20, 2012 6:28 pm

    @ huckfunn:

    The Queen of America is at Aspen on her 16th vacation in 3 1/2 years……because there are totally no ski-resorts on the east Coast and within an hour or two driving from the D.C. area.

    Must be nice being the 1%.


  67. 68 | February 20, 2012 6:30 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    Hurl Alert: Puerto Rico adds life-size statues of Obama, Lyndon Johnson to its ‘avenue of heroes’

    HT/WZ

    Well, if the Puerto Ricans got up off their ass and voted for Statehood, they too can actually vote for President!
    BTW, ‘Обама’s statue just doesn’t look right….


  68. 69 | February 20, 2012 6:31 pm

    @ huckfunn:

    All Animals are Equal, but some Animals are more Equal than others!


  69. waldensianspirit
    70 | February 20, 2012 6:33 pm

    @ Macker:
    The ears are too small


  70. coldwarrior
    71 | February 20, 2012 6:37 pm

    well done,huck, thank you


  71. Bumr50
    72 | February 20, 2012 6:38 pm

    @ John Difool:

    Speaking of skiing…

    In recent weeks, Romney has portrayed himself as an uncompromising fiscal conservative and criticized Santorum for being a “strong defender” of federal earmarks. “Look, I’m in favor of a ban on earmarks,” Romney said during a recent interview on Sean Hannity’s television show. “I think spending in Washington is out of control.”

    But Senate lobbying records show that the Salt Lake City Olympics Committee under Romney spent $3.5 million employing five lobbying firms in addition to its own in-house lobbying shop. Among their goals: winning federal earmarks that included $60 million for “perimeter” security; $15.8 million for “international sporting competitions”; $3 million for an extension of a Salt Lake City light rail project; as well as millions more for communications equipment, sewer projects and other programs aimed at supporting the Olympics.

    The overall federal cost of the 2002 Olympics has been estimated at about $1.5 billion, although Romney defenders say much of this was put in place before he took over the Olympics Committee in 1999. But Romney later touted his efforts in his book about the Winter Olympics, “Turnaround,” writing that he directed his chief Washington lobbyist “to bring in more federal funding than had ever been appropriated for any Olympics, summer or winter.”

    And he made his success in doing so a selling point when he ran for governor of Massachusetts in 2002. “I was successful in organizing the Olympics, got record funds from the federal government,” he said then.

    FisCon?

    Not likely.

    At the very least maybe he’ll stop talking about how he “saved the Olympics” on the stump, because I really couldn’t care less…


  72. 73 | February 20, 2012 6:42 pm

    @ huckfunn:

    You must be damn near as old as I am.

    I might even be older.


  73. buzzsawmonkey
    74 | February 20, 2012 6:43 pm

    Bumr50 wrote:

    FisCon?

    Naaaah, I’m not going to FisCon this year. A friend is bringing me a T-shirt, though.


  74. 75 | February 20, 2012 6:45 pm

    Bumr50 wrote:

    In recent weeks, Romney has portrayed himself as an uncompromising fiscal conservative…

    That must be like “Severely” Conservative! 8)


  75. Bumr50
    76 | February 20, 2012 6:48 pm

    @ buzzsawmonkey:

    There’s chatter Friedrich and the Hayeks are doing “The Road To Serfdom” in it’s entirety…


  76. buzzsawmonkey
    77 | February 20, 2012 6:49 pm

    Bumr50 wrote:

    In recent weeks, Romney has portrayed himself as an uncompromising fiscal conservative

    To hell with the Checked-Shirt Android That Walks Like a Man. To hell with Mr. Pocket Protector, too.

    I’m going for Poppin’ Fresh in the grey Beatle wig.


  77. huckfunn
    78 | February 20, 2012 6:50 pm

    @ coldwarrior:
    Thanks.


  78. coldwarrior
    79 | February 20, 2012 6:52 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    @ coldwarrior:
    Thanks.

    yer a fracin’ asset to the blog.


  79. Bumr50
    80 | February 20, 2012 6:52 pm

    @ buzzsawmonkey:

    There’s even a freaking “light-rail project” in there.


  80. huckfunn
    81 | February 20, 2012 6:54 pm

    John Difool wrote:

    @ huckfunn:

    The Queen of America is at Aspen on her 16th vacation in 3 1/2 years……because there are totally no ski-resorts on the east Coast and within an hour or two driving from the D.C. area.

    Must be nice being the 1%.

    Several weeks ago (I think it was one of the ladies) commented on the idea that only 53% of the population pays taxes. She had an idea about a T-shirt that says “I’m one of the 53%”. I wish I knew who that was.


  81. buzzsawmonkey
    82 | February 20, 2012 6:56 pm

    Bumr50 wrote:

    There’s even a freaking “light-rail project” in there.

    I’ve got nothing against light-rail—as long as it’s built by franchisees who pay the government for the privilege.

    That’s how the trolley tracks were laid all across America 100 years ago—back in the days when you could travel from New York to Chicago, if not farther, on urban and inter-urban trolley-cars. The private companies that built the lines paid the municipalities for the privilege, on the expectation that they would recoup the cost at the farebox. And if there was no reason to build a line, it didn’t get built.


  82. Bumr50
    83 | February 20, 2012 6:56 pm

    @ huckfunn:

    CarolinaGirl, I believe.


  83. John Difool
    84 | February 20, 2012 6:58 pm

    Romney claiming he’s a fiscal conservative is like Michael Moore claiming he suffers from anorexia.


  84. Bumr50
    85 | February 20, 2012 7:01 pm

    buzzsawmonkey wrote:

    I’ve got nothing against light-rail—as long as it’s built by franchisees who pay the government for the privilege.

    I don’t even know if that’s feasible these days, between government regulation and transit unions.


  85. huckfunn
    86 | February 20, 2012 7:03 pm

    coldwarrior wrote:

    huckfunn wrote:

    @ coldwarrior:
    Thanks.

    yer a fracin’ asset to the blog.

    Well, gee… :oops: I just know that everything coming out of D.C. is utter, total B.S. and I’ve gotta do whatever I can to get the word out. I’ve probably already been reported to Ataaaaaaaaacccckkkkk Waaaaaattttcccch which will probably lead a tax audit.


  86. buzzsawmonkey
    87 | February 20, 2012 7:05 pm

    Bumr50 wrote:

    I don’t even know if that’s feasible these days, between government regulation and transit unions.

    Nor do I—but that’s how the transit infrastructure was actually built.

    What’s funny is that the old transit franchises were a major source of graft and bribery—but apparently the politicians decided to let the direct cash go in favor of public ownership and transit-union support.


  87. Dolphin
    88 | February 20, 2012 7:09 pm

    @ Bumr50:
    Didn’t see the actual post, but that was my first “guess” -- lol.


  88. Bumr50
    89 | February 20, 2012 7:12 pm

    @ buzzsawmonkey:

    It seems that a majority of City of Pittsburgh residents now view public transportation as a “right,” so that might explain the rationale behind shifting everything under the “public” umbrella.

    You can’t just “start” a transportation company around here, be it cabs, buses, water taxi, or anything else without kissing an intricate series of rings and paying tribute.


  89. huckfunn
    90 | February 20, 2012 7:12 pm

    Mike C. wrote:

    @ huckfunn:

    You must be damn near as old as I am.

    I might even be older.

    Scary thought.


  90. mfhorn
    91 | February 20, 2012 7:17 pm

    @ Bumr50:

    I like the idea of high speed rail, since getting from Kansas to my parents in Oregon is something like a 2 1/2 day trip out and about 3 1/2 back with parts of the trip by bus, and I don’t like flying, but I can’t even imagine what that’d run to build.


  91. Bumr50
    92 | February 20, 2012 7:24 pm

    @ mfhorn:

    Have you used Amtrak?

    I actually hear that train trips out west are a blast. It might take a while, though.


  92. 93 | February 20, 2012 7:25 pm

    buzzsawmonkey wrote:

    Nor do I—but that’s how the transit infrastructure was actually built.

    That was “Once upon a time in America”, sadly we now live in “Once upon a Nightmare in America”.


  93. mfhorn
    94 | February 20, 2012 7:25 pm

    @ mfhorn:

    Sorry, should have said the trip to Oregon is by Amtrak and takes 2 1/2 & 3 1/2 days.


  94. buzzsawmonkey
    95 | February 20, 2012 7:26 pm

    Bumr50 wrote:

    It seems that a majority of City of Pittsburgh residents now view public transportation as a “right,” so that might explain the rationale behind shifting everything under the “public” umbrella.

    You can’t just “start” a transportation company around here, be it cabs, buses, water taxi, or anything else without kissing an intricate series of rings and paying tribute.

    Back in the day, New York politicians used to campaign on “keeping the subway fare at a nickel.” Well, that’s all well and good, but when the subway lines were profit-earning private enterprises (operating under city franchises), there came a time that the fare couldn’t be kept at a nickel. Expenses do go up, you know.

    So the city—and, eventually, the “Metropolitan Transit Authority”—took the subway lines over. The MTA is a sinkhole of incompetence and corruption, and as an “independent agency” it is beyond city control and beyond even direct oversight by the state legislature (not that that would do much good anyway). We’ve currently got the transit union workers repairing major subway stations that should have been repaired thirty years ago, and should have been maintained for at least that long—and they’ve already taken longer on the repairs than the stations took to build 80 years ago.


  95. huckfunn
    96 | February 20, 2012 7:26 pm

    doriangrey wrote:

    buzzsawmonkey wrote:

    Nor do I—but that’s how the transit infrastructure was actually built.

    That was “Once upon a time in America”, sadly we now live in “Once upon a Nightmare in America”.

    The future’s not what it used to be. :sad:


  96. mfhorn
  97. buzzsawmonkey
    98 | February 20, 2012 7:28 pm

    @ Bumr50:
    @ doriangrey:


    You need to watch this film about politics and corruption in American politics: “The Great McGinty.”
    Entire film is at the link. One of the funniest films you’ve seen in a while.


  98. Bumr50
    99 | February 20, 2012 7:31 pm

    @ buzzsawmonkey:

    Here’s when things went south for us:

    The Port Authority was created by the Pennsylvania General Assembly in 1956 to allow for creation of port facilities in the Pittsburgh area.[3] Three years later, the state legislation was amended to allow the Port Authority to acquire privately owned transit companies that served the area. This included the Pittsburgh Railways Company and a total of thirty-two independent bus and incline operations.[4]

    On April 19, 1963 the Board of Allegheny County Commissioners authorized the acquisition of thirty-two transit companies, including the Pittsburgh Railways Company, which had provided bus and streetcar service to the city of Pittsburgh since January 1902, and an incline plane company; these acquisitions were made at a cost of about $12 million.[3] On March 1, 1964 Port Authority Transit began service.[5]


  99. John Difool
    100 | February 20, 2012 7:32 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    doriangrey wrote:
    buzzsawmonkey wrote:
    Nor do I—but that’s how the transit infrastructure was actually built.
    That was “Once upon a time in America”, sadly we now live in “Once upon a Nightmare in America”.

    The future’s not what it used to be.

    The futures so blight I gotta wear shades…..


  100. 101 | February 20, 2012 7:33 pm

    buzzsawmonkey wrote:

    @ Bumr50:
    @ doriangrey:

    You need to watch this film about politics and corruption in American politics: “The Great McGinty.” Entire film is at the link. One of the funniest films you’ve seen in a while.

    I got as far as Rufus J, and could take the pain anymore… :shock:


  101. 102 | February 20, 2012 7:37 pm

    Who was behind the money to stop Keystone XL?

    For those who were dismayed by the President’s decision to nix the Keystone XL pipeline, you may think it was an effort orchestrated primarily from the White House. While that certainly was part of it, you may have noticed a rather prominent and very public campaign taking place to stop the project showing up in advertisements, mailings and less obvious whisper campaigns across the nation. Who pays for all of that?

    The Daily Caller has a lengthy investigative piece out today which sheds a bit of light on the subject. In it, we find out that they have uncovered a presentation dating back several years where some well financed groups vowed to dump significant amounts of cash into bringing development to a screeching halt. And who was behind it? The The Rockefeller Brothers Fund.

    (snip)

    You view the presentation here for yourself. Their report is three pages long, but it’s worth going through all of the material. The players involved include plenty of names you’ll recognize from the environmental lobby and a few new ones as well. And the attacks weren’t restricted to inside the United States. According to a separate report, US green lobby interests poured more than $300M into Canadian environmental groups’ coffers to fight the project from north of the border as well.


  102. buzzsawmonkey
    103 | February 20, 2012 7:38 pm

    @ doriangrey:

    Oh, it gets better and better. You have to follow him through voting 37 times, meeting political boss Akim Tamiroff, and getting into protection collecting before becoming an alderman. It’s a hoot.


  103. huckfunn
    104 | February 20, 2012 7:38 pm

    Check it out: Texas Poll: Santorum 45, Gingrich 18, Romney 16, Paul 14


  104. 105 | February 20, 2012 7:40 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    Check it out: Texas Poll: Santorum 45, Gingrich 18, Romney 16, Paul 14

    Damn, I guess them thar Texans aint so dumb after all… :twisted:


  105. 106 | February 20, 2012 7:41 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    Check it out: Texas Poll: Santorum 45, Gingrich 18, Romney 16, Paul 14

    Oh yea, and I forgot to ROTFLMAO at Ron Paul coming in dead last in his home state. :twisted:


  106. Alberta Oil Peon
    107 | February 20, 2012 7:42 pm

    @ Bagua’s Ghost:
    You don’t need to subsidize the drilling industry! Just get the tax and regulatory monkeys off the industry’s back, and get out of the way. Subsidies are bad news, even if the good guys get them. They encourage sloth and bad decisions.


  107. John Difool
    108 | February 20, 2012 7:42 pm

    doriangrey wrote:

    huckfunn wrote:
    Check it out: Texas Poll: Santorum 45, Gingrich 18, Romney 16, Paul 14

    Damn, I guess them thar Texans aint so dumb after all…

    I wonder if they just got as far as Rick and just assume it’s Perry?


  108. buzzsawmonkey
    109 | February 20, 2012 7:42 pm

    doriangrey wrote:

    I forgot to ROTFLMAO at Ron Paul coming in dead last in his home state.

    Simple. They know him.


  109. Bumr50
    110 | February 20, 2012 7:43 pm

    @ John Difool:

    Oops.

    //;-)


  110. waldensianspirit
    111 | February 20, 2012 7:43 pm

    @ John Difool:
    Not if they’re like tfk


  111. 112 | February 20, 2012 7:44 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    Check it out: Texas Poll: Santorum 45, Gingrich 18, Romney 16, Paul 14

    Oh, and we better hide this poll from speranza, he’ll seriously blow a gasket over it.


  112. huckfunn
    113 | February 20, 2012 7:44 pm

    doriangrey wrote:

    huckfunn wrote:

    Check it out: Texas Poll: Santorum 45, Gingrich 18, Romney 16, Paul 14

    Damn, I guess them thar Texans aint so dumb after all…

    I’m encouraged… hope you are too. :grin:


  113. buzzsawmonkey
    114 | February 20, 2012 7:44 pm

    As far as Ron Paul is concerned, in Texas they know that if a fellow wants to be the Man on Horseback it’s best if he doesn’t use gynecological stirrups.


  114. coldwarrior
    115 | February 20, 2012 7:45 pm

    Bumr50 wrote:

    @ mfhorn:
    Have you used Amtrak?
    I actually hear that train trips out west are a blast. It might take a while, though.

    i’ve used amtrack on a few occasions. not a bad way to travel


  115. 116 | February 20, 2012 7:45 pm

    waldensianspirit wrote:

    @ John Difool:
    Not if they’re like tfk

    I suspect tkf could hide behind a single blade of grass… :grin:


  116. huckfunn
    117 | February 20, 2012 7:46 pm

    doriangrey wrote:

    Oh, and we better hide this poll from speranza, he’ll seriously blow a gasket over it.

    Heh! You got his email? :twisted:


  117. Dolphin
    118 | February 20, 2012 7:46 pm

    @ buzzsawmonkey:
    LMAO! Good one.


  118. coldwarrior
    119 | February 20, 2012 7:46 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    Check it out: Texas Poll: Santorum 45, Gingrich 18, Romney 16, Paul 14

    anyone but romney is fine by me


  119. 120 | February 20, 2012 7:47 pm

    coldwarrior wrote:

    Bumr50 wrote:
    @ mfhorn:
    Have you used Amtrak?
    I actually hear that train trips out west are a blast. It might take a while, though.

    i’ve used amtrack on a few occasions. not a bad way to travel

    Here in Kalifornia the one good thing about riding on the AmTrak is… They have a alcohol car… From San Diego to LA you can get just about 6 beers in… :grin:


  120. 121 | February 20, 2012 7:49 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    doriangrey wrote:
    Oh, and we better hide this poll from speranza, he’ll seriously blow a gasket over it.
    Heh! You got his email?

    ROTFLMAO… Hell no, he’d probably sue me if he even thought I had it… :twisted:


  121. Dolphin
    122 | February 20, 2012 7:50 pm

    @ coldwarrior:
    At this point -- any one other than -0-.


  122. coldwarrior
    123 | February 20, 2012 7:50 pm

    doriangrey wrote:

    Here in Kalifornia the one good thing about riding on the AmTrak is… They have a alcohol car… From San Diego to LA you can get just about 6 beers in… :grin:

    i can get good and blitzed here to chicago….


  123. 124 | February 20, 2012 7:54 pm

    coldwarrior wrote:

    doriangrey wrote:
    Here in Kalifornia the one good thing about riding on the AmTrak is… They have a alcohol car… From San Diego to LA you can get just about 6 beers in…
    i can get good and blitzed here to chicago….

    ROTFLMAO and not have to worry about getting a DUI… :grin:


  124. coldwarrior
    125 | February 20, 2012 7:55 pm

    doriangrey wrote:

    coldwarrior wrote:
    doriangrey wrote:
    Here in Kalifornia the one good thing about riding on the AmTrak is… They have a alcohol car… From San Diego to LA you can get just about 6 beers in…
    i can get good and blitzed here to chicago….

    ROTFLMAO and not have to worry about getting a DUI…

    damn straight! stumble off the train, hail a cab and go to the hotel.


  125. mfhorn
    126 | February 20, 2012 7:56 pm

    @ coldwarrior:

    Unfortunately travel time alone via Amtrak is 7 days round trip. I’d love to travel by train sometime, but we’ve got no service here in town (possibly coming in the next few years, though), and even though the nearest station isn’t far away, the only daily departure is at something like 4am.


  126. coldwarrior
    127 | February 20, 2012 7:59 pm

    @ mfhorn:

    i like trains, traveled all over europe on them, so, the hassle is worth it to me. i love the overnight trains. wake up there and refreshed.


  127. mfhorn
    128 | February 20, 2012 8:06 pm

    @ coldwarrior:

    If I go from here (Kansas) to San Francisco, I go via Illinois. If I go to LA, it’s direct.


  128. coldwarrior
    129 | February 20, 2012 8:08 pm

    mfhorn wrote:

    @ coldwarrior:
    If I go from here (Kansas) to San Francisco, I go via Illinois. If I go to LA, it’s direct.

    yeah, thats a problem


  129. 130 | February 20, 2012 8:09 pm

    mfhorn wrote:

    @ coldwarrior:
    If I go from here (Kansas) to San Francisco, I go via Illinois. If I go to LA, it’s direct.

    Why in god’s name would you ever go to San Fransicko?


  130. huckfunn
    131 | February 20, 2012 8:10 pm

    coldwarrior wrote:

    huckfunn wrote:

    Check it out: Texas Poll: Santorum 45, Gingrich 18, Romney 16, Paul 14

    anyone but romney is fine by me

    Ron Paul needs to be on the “anybody but” list but I don’t think he’s a serious threat to be the nominee. He’s a possible 3rd party not-so-wild card who will hand O-dawg a 2nd term.


  131. huckfunn
    132 | February 20, 2012 8:12 pm

    doriangrey wrote:

    Here in Kalifornia the one good thing about riding on the AmTrak is… They have a alcohol car… From San Diego to LA you can get just about 6 beers in…

    I think I still have an unpaid ticket from CA for an open container violation in 1977. They’ll never take me alive.


  132. John Difool
    133 | February 20, 2012 8:15 pm

    @ huckfunn:

    Possibly, but a lot of his supporters would otherwise vote for Obama too if he weren’t running.


  133. huckfunn
    134 | February 20, 2012 8:15 pm

    Heh. Juan Williams was just on O’Reilly weeping, wailing and gnashing his teeth about “gauging by oil companies”.


  134. John Difool
    135 | February 20, 2012 8:21 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    Heh. Juan Williams was just on O’Reilly weeping, wailing and gnashing his teeth about “gauging by oil companies”.

    That seems to be newest meme put out by his masters at MMFA.

    The evil oil companies want Obama to fail and not get re-elected !!11!11eleventy


  135. huckfunn
    136 | February 20, 2012 8:23 pm

    @ John Difool:
    I’ve gotta get back to Juan on that. Obama’s stated energy goal is skyrocketing energy prices.


  136. John Difool
    137 | February 20, 2012 8:26 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    @ John Difool:
    I’ve gotta get back to Juan on that. Obama’s stated energy goal is skyrocketing energy prices.

    Of course with the old trusty fallback of demonizing the oil companies when his plan starts to succeed.

    Five dollar a gallon gas by Memorial Day by some estimates.


  137. 138 | February 20, 2012 8:27 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    I think I still have an unpaid ticket from CA for an open container violation in 1977. They’ll never take me alive.

    Meh, they don’t want to take you alive…. They just want all of your money… :razz:


  138. huckfunn
    139 | February 20, 2012 8:29 pm

    doriangrey wrote:

    huckfunn wrote:

    I think I still have an unpaid ticket from CA for an open container violation in 1977. They’ll never take me alive.

    Meh, they don’t want to take you alive…. They just want all of your money…

    Ha ha! And you should know. :grin:


  139. 140 | February 20, 2012 8:31 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    doriangrey wrote:
    huckfunn wrote:
    I think I still have an unpaid ticket from CA for an open container violation in 1977. They’ll never take me alive.
    Meh, they don’t want to take you alive…. They just want all of your money…

    Ha ha! And you should know.

    Sigh, oh I know all right… :sad:


  140. mfhorn
    141 | February 20, 2012 8:50 pm

    @ doriangrey:

    San Francisco is at least on its way to southern Oregon, where I have family. I could try Portland, but it’d probably be through Illinois, too.


  141. 142 | February 20, 2012 8:58 pm

    mfhorn wrote:

    @ doriangrey:
    San Francisco is at least on its way to southern Oregon, where I have family. I could try Portland, but it’d probably be through Illinois, too.

    You have family that lives just outside the gates of hell… Yikes… :twisted:


  142. Bagua's Ghost
    143 | February 20, 2012 10:53 pm

    Alberta Oil Peon wrote:

    You don’t need to subsidize the drilling industry! Just get the tax and regulatory monkeys off the industry’s back, and get out of the way. Subsidies are bad news, even if the good guys get them. They encourage sloth and bad decisions.

    In general this is right on. I’m mostly referring to the effect of the NG price on drilling.


  143. huckfunn
    144 | February 20, 2012 11:27 pm

    Bagua’s Ghost wrote:

    In general this is right on. I’m mostly referring to the effect of the NG price on drilling.

    The price of natural gas has a great deal of influence on drilling gas wells. Four years ago, $5.75 per mcf was the break even price for drilling a gas well in the Barnett Shale. Current nat gas price is roughly $2.50 per mcf.


  144. 145 | February 20, 2012 11:37 pm

    huckfunn wrote:

    Alberta Oil Peon wrote:
    @ huckfunn:
    Huck, the Fracknation webpage is to raise money for a pro-fracing movie. Phelim Mcaleer is one of the good guys.
    BTW, kudos for spelling it right!
    Most of the wells on which I’ve worked over the last 2-3 get multi-stage fracs in the horizontal leg, and by no means all of them are shale-gas wells. Multi-stage fracing works magic on tight sand reservoirs, too.

    I’ve been around oil & gas wells for the better part of 36 years… long before the kids at the MFM outlets ever heard of fracing. They should understand that the root work is “fracturing” not “frackturing”.

    Problem is, if you spell it “fracing,” nearly everybody outside the energy/geology field will think it rhymes with “facing.”


Back to the Top

The Blogmocracy

website design was Built By David