Roger Waters says Falklands should be Argentine, attacks Cameron’s ‘bullshit’

by Speranza ( 26 Comments › )
Filed under Headlines, Music at March 2nd, 2012 - 11:34 am

Yes  the political musings of an over-the-hill bassist really should be listened to. //

Of all the musicians who are obnoxious, I think the former Pink Floyd bass player is the worst.

by Uki Goni

Chilean television has transmitted the controversial interview with Roger Waters in which the former Pink Floyd rock star says he believes the Falkland Islands, claimed by Argentina as “Las Malvinas”, should ultimately be considered Argentine.

To the question: “Falklands? Malvinas? What is your take? Is it British or is it Argentine?” by Chilean journalist Amaro Gómez-Pablos, Waters replies: “I think it should be Argentine.

“My concern as an Englishman is that they’ve been used and the argument has been used for narrow political ends in England, first by Margaret Thatcher and now by David Cameron.

“There’s nothing they like more than to toe the line in the Houses of Parliament and stand there with hand on hip and say: the Falkland Islands are British and they always will be and the Falklands islanders’ wishes are paramount and as long as they want to be British … Bullshit!”

“Don’t you fear betraying your flag?” was the follow-up question by the primetime journalist.

“No, I don’t,” replied Waters in the interview, also aired in Argentina. “By and large I’m as ashamed as I possibly could be of our colonial past. I take no pride in the fact that 150 years or so the sun never set on the British empire and that we were out raping and plundering and stealing as much we could from everybody all over the world as possible. That kind of imperialism is not something that as an Englishman I’m proud of.”

Waters did say the wishes of the Falklands’ 3,000 inhabitants should be considered. “The Falkland Islanders are Brits, aren’t they?” said Waters. “They have a point of view. So there is a case to be made for both things.”

[......]Waters arrives in Buenos Aires next week for nine sold-out shows at the River Plate football stadium, with more than 370,000 tickets quickly bought up by eager Argentinian fans almost immediately after they went on sale.

Read the rest – Roger Waters says Falklands should be Argentine, attacks Cameron’s ‘bullshit’

Tags: ,

Comments

26 Responses to “Roger Waters says Falklands should be Argentine, attacks Cameron’s ‘bullshit’”

1. Moe Katz
    1 | March 2, 2012 12:58 pm

Money
    Well, get back
    I’m all right Jack
    Keep your hands off of my stack
    Money
    It’s a hit
    Don’t give me that do goody good bullshit
    I’m in the high-fidelity first class travelling set
    I think I need a Lear jet

2. 2 | March 2, 2012 12:59 pm

He wants to sell tickets.

3 | March 2, 2012 1:01 pm

@ Theben High Priest and Kemetic Master Scientist Rodan-Thep:
    He should be on the streets in Buenos Aires offering two for one.

4. 4 | March 2, 2012 1:03 pm

@ Speranza:

He should get Charles Johnson to do guitars.

5 | March 2, 2012 1:10 pm

Waters is a whiny leftist douchebag.

6 | March 2, 2012 1:17 pm

Guilt about the past. lol. Everyone has a crown of thorns in their past. Argentina could just as well produced a lot of right wing death squads and killed relentlessly. Cept for colonial intervention.

Most people feeling guilty about their past are the same self absorbed people who can’t see a nazi germnany, a darfur, a pol pot happening. They are too busy navel gazing to tackle the problem they create.

7. Moe Katz
    7 | March 2, 2012 1:52 pm

“Oi, get your filthy hands off my desert!”
    “What ‘e say?”

Brezhnev took Afghanistan.
    Begin took Beirut.
    Galtieri took the Union Jack.
    And Maggie, over lunch one day,
    Took a cruiser with all hands.
    Apparently, to make him give it back

“Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert” as written by Roger Waters
    Lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.
    Lyrics powerd by LyricFind

8. 8 | March 2, 2012 2:13 pm

Theben High Priest and Kemetic Master Scientist Rodan-Thep wrote:

He wants to sell tickets.

No, sadly that is not the case Roger Water’s was thrown out of Pink Floyd for being a anti-Semitic racist douche bag. This is just Roger being Roger, a worthless pos.

9. 9 | March 2, 2012 2:23 pm

Such an angry, angry man for having lost his father at Anzio…before he was born. Doesn’t excuse his behavior at all.

10. Philip_Daniel
    10 | March 2, 2012 3:29 pm

Muslims had massive empires covering most of the Old World and “were out raping and plundering and stealing as much we could from everybody all over the world as possible,” but I bet you love and respect them, Monsieur L’eaux.

11. Philip_Daniel
    11 | March 2, 2012 3:31 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

Begin took Beirut.

And Assad kept it afterwards.

12 | March 2, 2012 4:14 pm

Macker wrote:

He was not the only boy who lost a father in World War II.

13 | March 2, 2012 5:07 pm

doriangrey wrote:

Well, that and being a dictatorial tyrant within his own band, throwing out other band members, berating them, and refusing to share credit for music when he was pretty much just a lyricist.

David Gilmour --

(About the feud with Roger Waters) “I`m not very good at holding grudges for very long, but he`s done some terrible things.”

14 | March 2, 2012 5:08 pm

@ Speranza:

I guess he’d have preferred the Nazis conquered Europe.

15 | March 2, 2012 5:26 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

“Oi, get your filthy hands off my desert!”
    “What ‘e say?”
    Brezhnev took Afghanistan.
    Begin took Beirut.
    Galtieri took the Union Jack.
    And Maggie, over lunch one day,
    Took a cruiser with all hands.
    Apparently, to make him give it back

“Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert” as written by Roger Waters
    Lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.
    Lyrics powerd by LyricFind

final cut is one of my faves.

16 | March 2, 2012 5:32 pm

Waters and Gilmour cut that album without EVER being in the studio together.

I’m not so big on The Final Cut, but enjoy Pros and Cons tremendously.

As an album, The Final Cut seems a bit disjointed, especially for a Floyd album.

I listen to Animals and Meddle more than any other probably. Obscured By Clouds,(‘la valee’) and the Zabriskie Point soundtracks too. ZP has an entire side of solo Jerry on it as well. Worth owning if you don’t already.

17. 17 | March 2, 2012 6:06 pm

Waters is indeed an anti-Semitic crapbasket, but I’m not convinced that this is what split up the band. The band are still united on the Je- er, Zionist Question.

18. 18 | March 2, 2012 6:10 pm

Speranza wrote:

Macker wrote:

He was not the only boy who lost a father in World War II.

I don’t disagree with you at all, Speranza. I’ll bet Roger Waters and nosnhoJ selrahC could slam down some Mountain Dews, munch on some Cheetos, and strum a few bars…why not! After all they share the same hatred of Jews.

19. 19 | March 2, 2012 7:04 pm

@ Moe Katz:

Begin liberated Beirut.

20. 20 | March 2, 2012 7:06 pm

@ Philip_Daniel:

Thanks to America

21. 21 | March 2, 2012 7:36 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

Waters and Gilmour cut that album without EVER being in the studio together.
    I’m not so big on The Final Cut, but enjoy Pros and Cons tremendously.

Roger Waters claim to being the musical genius behind Pink Floyd is a complete and total work of fiction. Anyone who is familiar with the work of Syd Barret and then the work of David Gilmore can clearly see Roger’s assertions for the complete bullshit they are. Before David Gilmore joined Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd’s reputations was for being an Avant-garde eclectic performance band. The quintessential sound for which Pink Floyd is recognized is found one the Albums “Dark-side of the Moon” and “Wish You Were Here” Those albums are primarily the work of David Gilmore. What is arguably Pink Floyd’s single greatest hit song, “Comfortably Numb” which was on “The Wall” was actually a song written and recorded by David Gilmore for his first solo Album, but the post production work on the song took to long and it was left off the album.

22 | March 2, 2012 7:53 pm

Here’s the demo, under the working title “The Doctor”:

The lyrics were Waters, as he was describing a time when he was given muscle relaxers before performing.

I’m a hard core Floydian, and a Gilmour guy through and through.

This is a pretty cool site.

23. 23 | March 2, 2012 8:00 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

Here’s the demo, under the working title “The Doctor”:

I’m a hard core Floydian, and a Gilmour guy through and through.
    This is a pretty cool site.

After recording Animals, Gilmour thought that his musical talents were being underused, and channelled his ideas into his self-titled first solo album (1978), which showcases his signature guitar style, as well as underscoring his songwriting skills. A tune written during the finishing stages of this album, but too late to be used, became “Comfortably Numb” on The Wall.[6]

24. 24 | March 2, 2012 8:03 pm

25 | March 2, 2012 8:13 pm

Yeah, the music was all his.

Mark Blake’s book “Comfortably Numb” is an excellent read. I’ve read almost every credible Pink Floyd reference, and it’s by far the best (Nick Mason’s is good, but obviously biased.)

Here’s some more quotes:

Other interesting quotes:

… I should add that I like structure. I’m very keen on melody, I’m a big Beatles fan, and just about everything else I love-like the blues-is highly structured. Totally free-forming is not my thing. But totally rigid structure isn’t either.

… I just had a different view of our relationship with our audience than Roger did. Roger didn’t like touring. And he felt there was no connection between him and the audience that were in front of him. I had a different view of it; I still do. And my view of what The Wall itself is about is more jaundiced today than it was then. It appears now to be a catalogue of people Roger blames for his own failings in life, a list of “you fucked me up this way, you fucked me up that way.”

Roger is not Mr. Positive Mental Attitude, is he?

26. 26 | March 2, 2012 9:35 pm

David Gilmour’s first album kicks Ass!