St Party’s Patrick Open!

by coldwarrior ( 90 Comments › )
Filed under Food and Drink, Open thread at March 17th, 2012 - 7:00 pm

Two videos and some music for the festivities!

Try to sing this one….don’t forget to breathe!

Rocky Road to Dublin -

While in the merry month of May from me home I started,
Left the girls of Tuam so sad and broken hearted,
Saluted father dear, kissed me darling mother,
Drank a pint of beer, me grief and tears to smother,
Then off to reap the corn, leave where I was born,
Cut a stout black thorn to banish ghosts and goblins;
Bought a pair of brogues rattling o’er the bogs
And fright’ning all the dogs on the rocky road to Dublin.

One, two, three four, five,
Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road
all the way to Dublin, Whack follol de rah !

In Mullingar that night I rested limbs so weary,
Started by daylight next morning blithe and early,
Took a drop of pure to keep me heartfrom sinking;
Thats a Paddy’s cure whenever he’s on drinking.
See the lassies smile, laughing all the while
At me curious style, ‘twould set your heart a bubblin’
Asked me was I hired, wages I required,
I was almost tired of the rocky road to Dublin.

One, two, three four, five,
Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road
all the way to Dublin, Whack follol de rah !

In Dublin next arrived, I thought it such a pity
To be soon deprived a view of that fine city.
So then I took a stroll, all among the quality;
Me bundle it was stole, all in a neat locality.
Something crossed me mind, when I looked behind,
No bundle could I find upon me stick a wobblin’
Enquiring for the rogue, they said me Connaught brogue
Wasn’t much in vogue on the rocky road to Dublin.

One, two, three four, five,
Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road
all the way to Dublin, Whack follol de rah !

From there I got away, me spirits never falling,
Landed on the quay, just as the ship was sailing.
The Captain at me roared, said that no room had he;
When I jumped aboard, a cabin found for Paddy.
Down among the pigs, played some hearty rigs,
Danced some hearty jigs, the water round me bubbling;
When off Holyhead I wished meself was dead,
Or better for instead on the rocky road to Dublin.

One, two, three four, five,
Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road
all the way to Dublin, Whack follol de rah !

Well the boys of Liverpool, when we safely landed,
Called meself a fool, I could no longer stand it.
Blood began to boil, temper I was losing;
Poor old Erin’s Isle they began abusing.
“Hurrah me soul” says I, me Shillelagh I let fly.
Some Galway boys were nigh and saw I was a hobble in,
With a load “hurray !” joined in the affray.
We quitely cleared the way for the rocky road to Dublin.

One, two, three four, five,
Hunt the Hare and turn her down
the rocky road and all the way to Dublin,
Whack follol de rah !

-D.K. Gavan

First, the Dubliners, traditional:

Now, the Dropkick Murphys:

Comments

90 Responses to “St Party’s Patrick Open!”

1 | March 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Happy st patricks day!

2 | March 17, 2012 7:32 pm

Here’s to my sixth straight sober St. Patty’s Day!

If I’d have gone to the parade, I’d have seen Biden with Rich Fitzgerald smiling and shaking hands, and it would’ve been all over…

3. 3 | March 17, 2012 7:32 pm

Let’s all Riverdance!!!

4 | March 17, 2012 7:40 pm

‘Father John Murphy of Boolavogue led his parishioners in routing the Camolin Cavalry on May 26, 1798. The Wexford insurgents were eventually defeated at the Battle of Vinegar Hill on June 21. Father Murphy and the other rebel leaders were hanged.’

5 | March 17, 2012 7:46 pm

6. NoThreat2U
    6 | March 17, 2012 7:46 pm

I am so not Irish.

7. 7 | March 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Some stupid broad on FB said, and I quote: “Happy Patty’s Day.”
    She was not Irish.

8. Lily
    8 | March 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Happy St.Patrick’s Day!

I believe I have some Irish on me da’s side!

9 | March 17, 2012 7:51 pm

@ NoThreat2U:

LOVES ME SOME FLOGGING MOLLY!

10. NoThreat2U
    10 | March 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Chris’ submission…

11. Lily
    11 | March 17, 2012 7:52 pm

@ Macker:

Hmmph! Left off the Saint part did she?

12 | March 17, 2012 7:52 pm

13. NoThreat2U
    13 | March 17, 2012 7:54 pm

14. NoThreat2U
    14 | March 17, 2012 7:54 pm

disregard 13

16 | March 17, 2012 7:56 pm

@ NoThreat2U:

tell him this…i saw them in boston in the 2002 for st paddies, my bro saw them there three years in a row.

they are live on paladia tonight at 2100hrs

16. NoThreat2U
    17 | March 17, 2012 7:59 pm

I dont know where he gets his affinity for Irish drinking songs. lol

18 | March 17, 2012 8:02 pm

18. NoThreat2U
    19 | March 17, 2012 8:07 pm

@ Bumr50:
    And here I thought us Croatian folks drank and danced for any occasion. Yinz Irish got us beat. It’s close though because we drink at funerals too. lol

20 | March 17, 2012 8:09 pm

@ NoThreat2U:

I’m a mutt.

German-Irish-French-Polish.

20. 21 | March 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Lily wrote:

@ Macker:

Hmmph! Left off the Saint part did she?

Aye, she did.

21. NoThreat2U
    22 | March 17, 2012 8:17 pm

@ Bumr50:
    I am 3/4 Croatian and 1/4 German. Pretty simple actually.

22. savages_girl
    23 | March 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all of you.

I have no Irish in me, but I like Irish food. Does that count?

23. Bob in Breckenridge
    24 | March 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Erin go bra-less!!!

/Burp

24. NoThreat2U
    26 | March 17, 2012 8:32 pm

@ savages_girl:
    And a Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you too. Havent seen you around much lately. Hope all is well.

25. savages_girl
    27 | March 17, 2012 8:34 pm

@ NoThreat2U:
    Been a bit busy. Same ol’ stuff.
    How are you doing? How’s your health?

26. NoThreat2U
    28 | March 17, 2012 8:39 pm

@ savages_girl:
    I am finally getting some of my tests done. I think it was just a matter of expecting too much too soon from me. It was overwhelming. Soon I will be having fluid drained from my abdominal cavity since I look like I am pregnant. lol Also got some blood work done. It is easier for me to do a little at a time. SOmeone suggested I take mild thistle for cleansing the liver so I am giving that a try also. I feel great, except for this extra water weight I am carrying. Thank you for asking.

27. Calo
    29 | March 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Bob in Breckenridge wrote:

Erin go bra-less!!!
    /Burp

Why, don’t mind if I do.

28. savages_girl
    30 | March 17, 2012 8:42 pm

@ NoThreat2U:
    Wow, a lot going on. Naturopathic remedies don’t seem to hurt if you don’t overdo on them.
    How’s the housing situation? Did your landlord cut you some slack?

29. savages_girl
    31 | March 17, 2012 8:44 pm

@ Calo:
    HAHAHAHA

30. NoThreat2U
    32 | March 17, 2012 8:46 pm

@ savages_girl:
    I did give him a nice healthy chunk of cash. He is still being patient with me though as long as I give him something every month. I had to cut him short this month though because I needed tires on the truck. The ones that were on there made it too unsafe to drive to appts in PGH. But I am upfront and honest with him so he is willing to work with me. Thank God for good people…and I don’t just mean him.

31. Calo
    33 | March 17, 2012 8:48 pm

@ savages_girl:
    Nice to see you and NT2U tonight.

32. NoThreat2U
    34 | March 17, 2012 8:50 pm

@ Calo:
    Nice to see you too. Hope all is well in the world for you.

33. savages_girl
    35 | March 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Suze Orman’s on. I need all the financial advice I can get!

34. Alberta Oil Peon
    36 | March 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to them that Patricks it.

I saw a bald eagle today. I should have rolled down the window of the ‘burb and shouted “look out for the effin’ windmills!”, but I didn’t. He was cruising along, not far from the road at all, a majestic sight to see.

37 | March 17, 2012 9:03 pm

ahhh! pints of guinness and dropkicks on the dish…life is good!

36. Calo
    38 | March 17, 2012 9:09 pm

NoThreat2U wrote:

@ Calo:
    Nice to see you too. Hope all is well in the world for you.

All is well. Got to see the inside of an ER on Thursday.
    Whoa! Scarey place to be as a patient.

37. NoThreat2U
    39 | March 17, 2012 9:22 pm

@ Calo:
    I know that feeling. I am getting a little stronger…mentally. Glad to know all is well with you.

38. NoThreat2U
    40 | March 17, 2012 9:27 pm

Signing off for the nite. Good nite peeps.

39. 41 | March 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Happy St. Pat’s everyone! My mother’s family is 100% Irish descent, both sides and both go straight back to Cork County.

So bottoms up!

40. 42 | March 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Occu-turfers re-occupy Zucotti Square. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/uneditedcamera

I wonder what the NYPD is going to do.

41. Prebanned
    43 | March 17, 2012 10:01 pm

@ NoThreat2U:
    Night

42. Prebanned
    44 | March 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

I wonder what the NYPD is going to do.

That is awesome, I wish we had some art and culture out here in the sticks.

43. refugee000
    45 | March 17, 2012 10:04 pm

@ Bumr50:

Classic.
    I lived in Ireland for a while. The Pogues are a cult.
    Their name was originally Pogue M’hon…*kiss my ass* in Gaelic. ;-)

44. 46 | March 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Prebanned wrote:

That is awesome, I wish we had some art and culture out here in the sticks.

Here’s to hoping a lot of St. Pat revelers will throw up on the hippies!

47 | March 17, 2012 10:05 pm

@ refugee000:

the pogues…pure magic live. when they get rolling its something to behold

46. Prebanned
    48 | March 17, 2012 10:09 pm

@ Urban Infidel:
    I saw Occupy Little Rock a week ago, it is near the Presidential Holiday Inn.

47. refugee000
    49 | March 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

Here’s to hoping a lot of St. Pat revelers will throw up on the hippies!

rotfl!

48. 50 | March 17, 2012 10:17 pm

For my Irish friends, a tribute to Irish Yoga.

Irish Yoga

49. 51 | March 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Prebanned wrote:

@ Urban Infidel:
    I saw Occupy Little Rock a week ago, it is near the Presidential Holiday Inn.

It’s everywhere like dust mites. Listening to the livestream, they intend to harass the police and make them look as stupid as possible and “break the binary between protester and police.” Whatever the hell that means.

50. Prebanned
    52 | March 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

Prebanned wrote:
    @ Urban Infidel:
    I saw Occupy Little Rock a week ago, it is near the Presidential Holiday Inn.

Binary is ones and zeros, black and white, true or false, they might want to break the idea that the police are in the right.

51. brookly red
    53 | March 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

It means that the corrupt and powerful have enough spare change(and a willing media to hype it)to deploy useful idiots. It means nothing really because idiots are hard to focus and they are wandering off to occupy whatever it is that fixates them…

54 | March 17, 2012 10:46 pm

This goes out to all of you who have seen Obama’s propaganda film “The Road We’ve Traveled” and hurled at it. Follow the link.

53. 55 | March 17, 2012 10:46 pm

I’m Scots-Irish, Happy St Paddys day… this is a Scottish artist… These are not photographs… Enjoy the amazing wonder…

54. 56 | March 17, 2012 10:46 pm

brookly red wrote:

They are actually pleading for everyone to focus because they have wandered off message. They have a real hard on for the NYPD right now. The ‘mic checks’ are so cultist. God, they’re creepy!

55. 57 | March 17, 2012 10:54 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

brookly red wrote:

I have little love for the police, they are for the most part nothing more than state sanctioned extortionist thug authority abusing totalitarians whom the founding fathers of our once great republic would consider an abomination to the republic they founded.

That said though, it’s about time they earned their pay as the brutal enforcers that they really are and started cracking those “occupier” skulls.

56. Calo
    58 | March 17, 2012 10:54 pm

I’m impressed -- pure talent on display there.

57. 59 | March 17, 2012 10:55 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

because they have wandered off message.

Oh… And how the hell do you wander off message when you never really had a message to start with?

58. 60 | March 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Calo wrote:

I’m impressed – pure talent on display there.

Yup… The evolution of drawing beyond mere art-form.

59. 61 | March 17, 2012 10:57 pm

doriangrey wrote:

I’m sure they’d love to. But Bloomie has probably already preemptively surrendered.

60. 62 | March 17, 2012 11:02 pm

What happened to Caturday???

Can it be scheduled for tomorrow instead?

61. brookly red
    63 | March 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

brookly red wrote:

you can’t focus idiots any more than you can heard cats… you can hype them up once and get a big bang like electing O, but after that you can’t control them… you can’t make them think “we” or “us” they can only comprehend “me” & “I” (most usually “I” want, feel or think)

That is why the left is done (in this cycle). They had their “party” they, they woke up their idiots, they got their “win” but they can’t hold on to it.

62. brookly red
    64 | March 17, 2012 11:09 pm

1389AD wrote:

What happened to Caturday???

Can it be scheduled for tomorrow instead?

you can’t focus idiots any more than you can heard cats…

There. It’s Caterday

65 | March 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Yay! Baylor advances to the sweet 16 for the first time evah.

66 | March 17, 2012 11:18 pm

1389AD wrote:

What happened to Caturday???

Can it be scheduled for tomorrow instead?

Sorry; scheduling Caturday for Sunday would make it Catunday and I don’t think any of us are ready for that.

Next.

65. 67 | March 17, 2012 11:19 pm

@ brookly red:
    They have now been instructed to break down into groups to discuss what they want to see happen on May Day. They’re just wasting time mostly. Hear a lot of drumming.

66. 68 | March 17, 2012 11:21 pm

huckfunn wrote:

1389AD wrote:
    What happened to Caturday???
    Can it be scheduled for tomorrow instead?

Next.

What you don’t like a little…… errrr better not go there huh… :oops:

67. 69 | March 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

@ brookly red:

Oh what a good paraquat scare would do to those drum circles… :twisted:

68. 70 | March 17, 2012 11:38 pm

doriangrey wrote:

Oh what a good paraquat scare would do to those drum circles… :twisted:

Meanwhile over at the Accountability & Transparency OWS Working group: http://www.nycga.net/groups/accountability-transparency/

Most of the postings are asking questions to where/how the $1,000,000 -- $700,000 in donations disappeared.

69. 71 | March 17, 2012 11:44 pm

huckfunn wrote:

1389AD wrote:
    What happened to Caturday???
    Can it be scheduled for tomorrow instead?

Next.

I’m not Irish but this is a good song…

72 | March 17, 2012 11:44 pm

doriangrey wrote:

What you don’t like a little…… errrr better not go there huh…

I, um… well; er. Yes.

74 | March 17, 2012 11:53 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

cops are clearing the park now

Good! The occubums are zombies. No mercy.

72. 75 | March 17, 2012 11:56 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Good! The occubums are zombies. No mercy.

you gotta hear these whiny little babies! ugh!

73. 76 | March 17, 2012 11:56 pm

@ huckfunn:
    Subhumans like the Occupoopers are the reason why machine guns were invented.

74. 77 | March 18, 2012 12:02 am

75. CynicalConservative
    78 | March 18, 2012 12:05 am

Anyone know what to make of this? Reads somewhat ominous to me.

/lurk

79 | March 18, 2012 12:07 am

@ Urban Infidel:
    @ 1389AD:
    What Zucotti Park needs is a re-enactment of the scene in Dr. Zhivago where the cossacks “disperse” the bolshevicks.

77. 80 | March 18, 2012 12:14 am

huckfunn wrote:

@ Urban Infidel:
    @ 1389AD:

I refrain from blogging my own biography, but suffice it to say that I am not a product of comfortable circumstances. Matter of fact, that would be an understatement of truly cosmic proportions.

Everybody has their prejudices, and my prejudice is that I cannot stand spoiled rich kids (of any age). I mean I REALLY CANNOT STAND THEM. Un-Christian as this may be, I harbor a desperate desire to tear them to pieces with my bare hands, however many of them there are in the world.

Put it this way, if I ever got ahold of an encampment of occupoopers, and I didn’t have to worry about being caught by the police, there wouldn’t be a single one of them left alive at the end.

I wanna NUKE them.

81 | March 18, 2012 12:20 am

1389AD wrote:

I wanna NUKE them.

I’m with ya! FIST BUMP! I’m still trying to figure out what’s with the Executive Order in CC # 77 above.

79. 82 | March 18, 2012 12:27 am

CynicalConservative wrote:

Anyone know what to make of this? Reads somewhat ominous to me.
    /lurk

It looks like a re-authorization of the 1950′s Civil Defense Act. Which was a direct response to this…

Aug 29, 1949:
    Soviets explode atomic bomb

80. brookly red
    83 | March 18, 2012 12:28 am

huckfunn wrote:

it means “the polls are not looking good for us so get ready…”

81. brookly red
    84 | March 18, 2012 12:29 am

doriangrey wrote:

Aug 29, 1949:
    Soviets explode atomic bomb

/oh, so I guess were are not going to attack Iran after all…

82. 85 | March 18, 2012 12:37 am

brookly red wrote:

doriangrey wrote:
    Aug 29, 1949:
    Soviets explode atomic bomb
    /oh, so I guess were are not going to attack Iran after all…

Only if Obama thinks it will win him a reelection.

86 | March 18, 2012 12:41 am

@ CynicalConservative:
    @ brookly red:
    I’ve put up the Executive Order as a Special Report thread. This looks to be a full out weekend sneak attack on our liberty.

84. CynicalConservative
    87 | March 18, 2012 12:44 am

@ huckfunn:
    Thanks, didn’t know the historical perspective on it, figured better historians here would suss out some details.

/lurk

85. 88 | March 18, 2012 12:51 am

huckfunn wrote:

@ CynicalConservative:
    @ brookly red:

If Obama were a President that I trusted, I would say that this is just a “to be safe” maneuver because somebody has intelligence that something bad is about to happen. The problem is of course, that I don’t trust Obama.

89 | March 18, 2012 1:04 am

doriangrey wrote:

That’s right. This could be about Israel bombing Iran. Or, it could be about destroying the oil and gas industry so he can sell more Volts and windmills. My neck hairs are standing straight up.

87. Bob in Breckenridge
    90 | March 18, 2012 4:42 am

Calo wrote:

Bob in Breckenridge wrote:
    Erin go bra-less!!!
    /Burp

Why, don’t mind if I do.

Geez, is that really you???? Well at you’re “hanging” in there, so to speak. :)