Tex-Mex Rock & Roll

by Bunk X ( 76 Comments › )
Filed under Entertainment, Humor, OOT, Open thread at April 3rd, 2012 - 9:10 pm

The Texas Tornados were a retro band of sorts that had some success in the 1990s, featuring Doug Sahm (d.1999) and Augie Meyers (original members of the Sir Douglas Quintet), Freddie Fender (d.2006) and Flaco Jiménez.

As Fender once said “You’ve heard of New Kids on the Block?, we’re the Old Guys in the Street.”

As an aside, Fender

…became known for his rockabilly music and his cool persona as Eddie Con Los Shades. In 1958, he legally changed his name from Baldemar Huerta to Freddy Fender. He took Fender from the guitar and amplifier, and Freddy because the alliteration sounded good and would “…sell better with Gringos!”

Were they great? Individually, yes, collectively no, but they were entertaining in a fun bar band kinda way. With the deaths of Sahm and Fender, Shawn Sahm is continuing to publish unreleased tracks and record with Meyers and Jiménez.

With all the nasty weather damage in Texas today, it’s time for some Tejano on
The Overnight Open Thread.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

76 Responses to “Tex-Mex Rock & Roll”

1. 1 | April 3, 2012 9:14 pm

This is cool!

2. brookly red
    2 | April 3, 2012 9:15 pm

oh this should go good with my Chinese/Mexican take out…

3. 3 | April 3, 2012 9:18 pm

@ brookly red:

Hunan Fried rice with Tacos?

4. brookly red
    4 | April 3, 2012 9:19 pm

it is #44(sum dum fuk) or ask for a CJ…

5 | April 3, 2012 9:19 pm

Great thread, Bunk

6. brookly red
    6 | April 3, 2012 9:22 pm

@ brookly red:

Hunan Fried rice with Tacos?

no shrimp with pico de gio… we call it a CJ… little shrimp with big balls.

7. 7 | April 3, 2012 9:28 pm

@ brookly red:

Dude, that was the weirdest banning ever. That and Albusteve’s Cheeseburger comments.

8 | April 3, 2012 9:44 pm

Raul Malo and the Mavericks

9. brookly red
    9 | April 3, 2012 9:53 pm

@ brookly red:

OK full disclosure… I (being hooked up in the comic book biz) referred him to a lady friend of mine (a married respectable mother of 5 from the DR) in the biz regarding his collection. She has since forgiven me… but that may have had something to do with it. He doesn’t relate to women very well I guess.

10. 10 | April 3, 2012 9:59 pm

brookly red wrote:

He doesn’t relate to women very well I guess.

He doesn’t relate to anyone very well…

11. 11 | April 3, 2012 10:01 pm

:razz:

15. 15 | April 3, 2012 10:05 pm

huckfunn wrote:

doriangrey wrote:

Nice encore of #5 above.

16 | April 3, 2012 10:06 pm

Raul Malo is a great artist. I’ve seen him a couple of times. #8 above is a great remake of a 1960′s hit.

17. brookly red
    17 | April 3, 2012 10:06 pm

doriangrey wrote:

brookly red wrote:

He doesn’t relate to women very well I guess.

He doesn’t relate to anyone very well…

well truth is important to some people…

18 | April 3, 2012 10:11 pm

brookly red wrote:

doriangrey wrote:
    brookly red wrote:
    He doesn’t relate to women very well I guess.
    He doesn’t relate to anyone very well…

well truth is important to some people…

Unfortunately, the number of Folks who care about the truth is growing smaller every day. :evil:

19. 19 | April 3, 2012 10:13 pm

brookly red wrote:

doriangrey wrote:
    brookly red wrote:
    He doesn’t relate to women very well I guess.
    He doesn’t relate to anyone very well…

well truth is important to some people…

Well clear those kinds of people are raaaaacist, Nazi’s and maybe even vlaams belang Flemish snipers… (better check under your bed Chuck, I heard they were looking for you)

20. 20 | April 3, 2012 10:19 pm

Don’t forget the dreaded Tobacco Companies!

21. Moe Katz
    21 | April 3, 2012 10:21 pm

Man who punched bus driver spared jail time due to his native ancestry

A Canadian story for y’all….

22. 22 | April 3, 2012 10:25 pm

Well, it seems someone decided to remake Arnold’s (OK Philip K Dick’s) Total Recall. Allahpundit over at HotGas (who is apparently a Nancy Boy originalist) is underwhelmed by the trailer. Personally, it looks to me as though Colin Farrell and company have done a much better job, looks like it will be worth watching when it gets here. But hey, your mileage may vary…

23. 23 | April 3, 2012 10:26 pm

Don’t forget the dreaded Tobacco Companies!

Is that why there is smoke coming out from under chuckles bed? Cigarette smoking vlaams belang Flemish snipers hiding there???? :twisted:

24. 24 | April 3, 2012 10:43 pm

Led by Ron Paul and the Vatican!

25. 25 | April 3, 2012 10:45 pm

Led by Ron Paul and the Vatican!

Yup, must be, nothing else would make sense… :shock:

26. AZfederalist
    26 | April 4, 2012 12:00 am

@ brookly red:

Hunan Fried rice with Tacos?

ROFL :lol:

27. AZfederalist
    27 | April 4, 2012 12:39 am

Wow, even a quick wisecrack and I kill the thread?

:oops:

28. Calo
    28 | April 4, 2012 12:43 am

AZfederalist wrote:

Wow, even a quick wisecrack and I kill the thread?

I don’t know AZ.

Could be the spring allergy season that has everyone reaching for Benadryl and subsequently falling asleep after dosing themselves that is killing the thread.

29. AZfederalist
    29 | April 4, 2012 12:47 am

@ Calo:

OK, I’ll go with that; then I won’t feel like I’ve been responsible for slaughtering the thread.

30. 30 | April 4, 2012 1:05 am

Calo wrote:

AZfederalist wrote:
    Wow, even a quick wisecrack and I kill the thread?

I don’t know AZ.

Everybody is suddenly allergic to their computers… Actually more like now that the weather has improved people who were suffering from cabin fever are getting out more in the early evening and coming home to tired to post later.

31. 31 | April 4, 2012 1:12 am

AZfederalist wrote:

@ Calo:

Oh, and don’t worry, you didn’t slaughter it, it was on life support with pretty much only the machine being plugged in that was keeping it going… :shock: :oops:

32. AZfederalist
    32 | April 4, 2012 1:18 am

doriangrey wrote:

No, it wasn’t me who tripped over that cord. uh-uh, not me.

33. Alberta Oil Peon
    33 | April 4, 2012 1:31 am

Doug Sahm was a class act through and through.

I was lucky enough to see perform live in Edmonton, round about 1990. I have a copy of this CD.

34. Alberta Oil Peon
    34 | April 4, 2012 1:32 am

@ Alberta Oil Peon:
    Oops. Link didn’t form:

35 | April 4, 2012 1:59 am

doriangrey wrote:

Don’t forget the dreaded Tobacco Companies!

36 | April 4, 2012 2:04 am

this-guy-looks-like-hes-up-to-no-good

Zimmerman should sue for front page apologies for a month or two from NBC

37. 37 | April 4, 2012 4:13 am

Well, concerts were very rare in my life (unlike some here), but I did once attend one by Flaco Jimenez & Co. playing with Pete Rowan at the fabled Armadillo World Headquarters. Seems like something out of the Paleozoic now…

38 | April 4, 2012 6:01 am

doriangrey wrote:

happens every spring here (same thing for the past 3 years). the numbers go down as the weather improves and go back up when its august or so when it gets just stupid hot.

these are the pitfalls of having a blog where everyone actually has a life. and that isn’t a bad thing.

39 | April 4, 2012 6:04 am

Mike C. wrote:

Well, concerts were very rare in my life

concerts were my vacations (since it was frowned upon to take more than a few days off in a row at my prior job). i’d take a long weekend and a short road trip to go see a show and check out a new town.

40. 40 | April 4, 2012 6:12 am

Concerts were just something rich people did when I was young enough to want to go.

FULL DISCLOSURE -- I did go to Union Grove twice and Galax once when I was in college.

41. spinmore
    41 | April 4, 2012 7:06 am

Morning campers . . .http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/74808.html

Palin says presidential pick should choose someone like Allen West (rather then a ‘safe’ pick) ‘the press will beat you up and lie anyway’-paraphrase

Go West -- Go West -- Go West!!

42. spinmore
    42 | April 4, 2012 7:09 am

@ spinmore:

. . . i’m not sure that Romney even knows who West is however :(

43. spinmore
    43 | April 4, 2012 7:11 am

Romney would look small(er) and weak(er) next to a man like A.West

44. 44 | April 4, 2012 7:14 am

I miss going to concerts but the good ones are just so damned expensive that it offends my sense of propriety -- yeah, I could come up with $2-300 for a couple of tickets but then I think of all the other ways I could spend (or not spend) that money. I rather prefer a good, local bar band, some of the best groups in history got their start as great bar bands (like the Beatles).

Hell, even if they end up sucking, you still have the camaraderie and the alcohol with money to spare.

45. 45 | April 4, 2012 7:26 am

spinmore wrote:

Morning campers . . .http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/74808.html

Go West – Go West – Go West!!

I would be concerned that the narrative would be “rich white guy picks Tea Party black guy as token”. Yeah, they’ll invent a narrative no matter what, but this would be just too obvious. I’d prefer Ryan -- he’s been in Congress for some time now, so he’s not a new face and he could serve as point man on the budget. “Romney/Ryan” would have a remarkably “corporate” feel and, given fiscal problems, that would suit me just fine.

46. spinmore
    46 | April 4, 2012 7:36 am

i hear you’re thinking (if that makes sense)

But, that’s exactly Palin’s point. The Left plays all-out war . . . We ‘worry’ about what the media will say. The LameStream is the enemy. I want Allen West as president . . . not sure if the country is ready for someone so ‘blunt and truthful’

. . . like Nicholson said “You can’t handle the truth” lol

47. 47 | April 4, 2012 8:02 am

spinmore wrote:

i hear you’re thinking (if that makes sense)

. . . like Nicholson said “You can’t handle the truth” lol

Well, one thing we can agree on is that Romney’s definitely going to need something to augment his (lack of) personal magnetism. We’ll see. I’d like to see a VP candidate that would operate like a corporate VP -- someone who actually works toward moving the ball forward instead of cutting ribbons and being on hand in case POTUS wakes up dead.

48. 48 | April 4, 2012 8:06 am

@ MacDuff:

If Romney will pick a good VP and promise to die after two years in office, I’ll vote for him enthusiastically. Seriously, a good VP could help him with the base. In 2008 I voted for Palin more than for McCain. I even donated money after McCain picked Palin. But I will be pissed indeed if Romney picks a good VP only to cut them off at the knees the way McCain did Palin. That was inexcusible.

49. 49 | April 4, 2012 8:17 am

Personally, I’d like to see Romney fully embrace the mantle of “corporate Wall Street guy” -- he’s being painted that way, he might as well use it to his advantage. WE NEED someone who knows their way around corporate America, who can relate to and who speaks the language of large, and small business. WE NEED an anti-Obama who will dispel the suicidal notions that government is a job creator or a grower of the exonomy. This is his game and he needs to play it.

50. Guggi
    50 | April 4, 2012 8:18 am

doriangrey wrote:

Hide the decline ? :-)

comments March 2010: 33,859
    comments March 2012: 13,289

(I know I don’t make me friends with this but stick to the facts and the facts are: you’ve a problem with the blog)

51. spinmore
    51 | April 4, 2012 8:21 am

@ MacDuff:

i’d like to see Romney embrace a pulse :D

and that was “your thinking” at #46

52. spinmore
    52 | April 4, 2012 8:26 am

. . . so kinda like George Costanza -- i tried something opposite today (not really) but anyway, rather then the same old toasted onion bagel w/cream cheese, i got DD new sun dried tomatoe bagel with artichoke spinach cream cheese spread. Now if that wasn’t good (no i don’t have stock in DD)

53. spinmore
    53 | April 4, 2012 8:27 am

@ spinmore:

tomato

tomato/tamato

54. 54 | April 4, 2012 8:50 am

Guggi wrote:

Hide the decline ?

comments March 2010: 33,859
    comments March 2012: 13,289

As someone who has had more than the their share of issues with this site and several if its contributors, I can only say that quantity is a poor yardstick for quality and I must stand in defense. What brought me back was the way that this site has taken the high road in the Treyvon Martin case; when many sites had post after gratuitous post thus inflaming an already volatile situation, Blogmocracy has shown admirable restraint.

I’ll take quality over quantity any day an it seems to me that’s what the point to this site is. I hope it continues.

55. Guggi
    56 | April 4, 2012 8:52 am

Bankruptcies Have German Solar on the Ropes

The German solar industry is at a turning point. The bankruptcy of Q-Cells this week shows that the days of German solar cell production are numbered. It wasn’t so long ago that people viewed Q-Cells as an energy company of the future. At one point, it was the world’s largest manufacturer of solar cells. Q-Cells’ insolvency comes as a great shock to the Germany’s solar industry. It is already the fourth major bankruptcy in a sector in crisis. Ironically, just as the boom was fuelled by government money, those same subsidies have accelerated the bust. The worst hit in the German solar crisis are companies that made bad business decisions. Most of the companies effected failed to wean themselves from reliance on government subsidies.

56. Guggi
    57 | April 4, 2012 8:54 am

Italy to cut renewable energy subsidies

Italy will move to reduce taxpayer subsidies to its renewable energy sector after last year’s boom in solar power, Industry Minister Corrado Passera says. Some estimates contend the feed-in tariffs paid to photovoltaic user/generators will amount to $59 billion over the next 20 years

57. 58 | April 4, 2012 8:54 am

@ Guggi:

Solar is going bankrupt all over the place. It simply isn’t an economically viable business model. It isn’t going to replace any other power generation infrastructure, no matter how much tax-payer money gets poured down that rat-hole. Not that that will stop Obalma from pouring millions (billions) of more tax-payer dollars in persuit of his white whale…

58. Guggi
    60 | April 4, 2012 8:59 am

@ Guggi:

Corrrrrrrrrrrrrrect, Sir.

59. Guggi
    61 | April 4, 2012 9:03 am

This is interesting:

Biomass ‘insanity’ may threaten EU carbon targets

62 | April 4, 2012 12:40 pm

@ Guggi:
    by all means be accurate.

You need to account for DoD comments in your numbers.
    Dod did not exist in 2010 I don’t think.

Lemme know what you come up with

63 | April 4, 2012 2:26 pm

@ 50 Guggi: some of those are Charles Johnson threads where I would post 10-20 comments on lol at Charles. Those moved to DoD.

And we have less trolls to torture. A troll thread would always leap forward.

yes there are less commenters I think. But there are still some larger threads, especially some of the debate threads. Between here and DoD it seems a little busier to me.

64 | April 4, 2012 2:29 pm

@ 48 Iron Fist: The GoP needs to make an overture to less government and less corruption. Locally here in the state convention the Romney delegates tried to hornswaggle the convention and make it unanimous for Romney. Only the paulbots stood in their way and made them back down.

If the GoP doesn’t get off its high horse and start improving the government i got to get moved on and commit to something else that meets my needs as a patriotic fiscally conservative citizen.

63. Guggi
    65 | April 4, 2012 3:25 pm

@ Guggi:
    by all means be accurate.
    You need to account for DoD comments in your numbers.
    Dod did not exist in 2010 I don’t think.
    Lemme know what you come up with

DoD came in March 2010 into life (2010/03/26)DoD

Of course DoD sucked a lot of life out of this blog. But look at the numbers from April 2010: 27,569 comments here at the blogmocracy.

Without speranza the numbers would even be worse, he does anything he can to boost the numbers. Otherwise many of your (your = blogmocracy) threads would have less than 30 comments.

I don’t know your traffic numbers but I guess they are also in decline (or should I say in a free fall ?)

You haven’t attracked new members and IF so they leave within days. Why ? There are more new members at DoD than here.

You’ve lost a lot of old members. This may have different reasons but one may be that you’ve betrayed your own blog-policy to be open for different views. What is the main purpose of a thread ? I would say a) information and b) to argue about the topic NOT to say “you are so right” -- this is boaring.

But it is not on me to give you advices and I don’t (and I don’t want to) know the background of this blog. I know you couldn’t stand WoG but he/she was correct: more quality (speranza and flyovercountry and Bob in Beckenridge to really their best) and attrack new members but you won’t attrack new members when you bully the old ones. He/she knew what would come.

66 | April 4, 2012 3:29 pm

@ Guggi:

119k page views in march 2011

317k page views in march 2012

if we are running advertisement we would be making almost 3x the money in one year.

67 | April 4, 2012 3:32 pm

Guggi wrote:

i kinda new the WoG thing was going to come up from you. as you dont have the background story, so i will gladly let it drop.

68 | April 4, 2012 3:35 pm

@ Guggi:

now, who have i unjustly bullied? do note, i said unjustly.

we have actually lost people because of inaction by the owners.

for example princess natasia left because of the rampant anti-russian/slav bias that pops up here often. i could have gone on the warpath over that, but i have not.

what you havent seen is me restraining the other owners over banning people. you would have been gone long ago and so would have mtc just to name two out of a very long list.

so you dont really know what goes on behind the scenes. i think you would be very surprised.

67. 69 | April 4, 2012 4:04 pm

@ Guggi:
    now, who have i unjustly bullied? do note, i said unjustly.
    we have actually lost people because of inaction by the owners.

<—-- Taps foot quietly in the corner and say nothing…

68. Guggi
    70 | April 4, 2012 4:14 pm

@ Guggi:
    119k page views in march 2011
    317k page views in march 2012

C’mmon :-) You’ve lost about two third of your comments and commenters but trippeld your page views ? CJ’s numbers are curious but these numbers are even more curious. If I remember right you lately rectified the numbers to me and wrote about a “deadly spiral down”or something like that.

OmG, poor little girl. She can’t defend her opion and fact check others ?

we have actually lost people because of inaction by the owners.

What I said: lack of leadership.

71 | April 4, 2012 4:24 pm

@ Guggi:
    I’ll take your concerns under advisement

Thank you for your concern in this matter.

72 | April 4, 2012 4:40 pm

Guggi wrote:

What I said: lack of leadership.

i want to address this ‘leadership’. this blog is by design not to have leaders. we dont need an elite class herding the population to and fro.

do some rules need to be in place? sure. anarchy never works. do we need ‘leaders’? no, i think not.

71. mtc
    73 | April 4, 2012 4:51 pm

I miss Natasha; I wish she could come back.

72. Guggi
    74 | April 4, 2012 6:00 pm

CW, no one is asking for a Duce-like blog-dictatorship but if you don’t execute your own rules then you’ve a failure in your leadership (your = blogmocracy). You say yourself:

quote:

we have actually lost people because of inaction by the owners

This is indeed interesting:

you would have been gone long ago

So, I’ve to be thankful to you b’cause you’re protecting me from being banned by m, Rodan and savage because I’m bullied since years here ?

Let me say one thing very clear: it’s not about me what we are discussing here, it’s about a blog which in the last months has become more a madhouse than a descent place to discuss politics and have some fun.

One last word to this topic: this blog is not my home I don’t need to be here.

75 | April 4, 2012 6:07 pm

Guggi wrote:

So, I’ve to be thankful to you b’cause you’re protecting me

stop putting words in my mouth.

that is what the primaries do to people. peeps on the same side will fight tot he death and then at the end, get back together and be all on the same team team again and unified. such is life.

76 | April 4, 2012 6:15 pm

Guggi wrote:

you are very correct there.

and that is why i went out on the warpath again the other day. now i will enforce the clearly stated rules in the about section of the webpage.

i might even enforce them retroactively as they have been known and posted for months now.

have a nice evening