Mel Gibson Accused of Sabotaging Maccabee Film, ‘Hating Jews’

by Speranza ( 10 Comments › )
Filed under Anti-semitism, Headlines, Movies at April 12th, 2012 - 6:43 pm

Mel Gibson is seriously deranged. Having a crazy, loathsome father whom you look up to will do that for you.

by Rachel Hirshfeld

The Hollywood screenwriter Joe Eszterhas has accused Mel Gibson of sabotaging the production of a film based on the story of the Jewish Maccabees, after Warner Bros. decided to cancel the project.

Eszterhas wrote an extensive letter accusing Gibson, who was expected to direct the film, of prolonged and unabashed anti-Semitism. “I’ve come to the conclusion that the reason you won’t make The Maccabees is the ugliest possible one. You hate Jews,” he wrote.

Eszterhas alleged that Gibson had told him the Holocaust was “mostly a lot of horseshit” and that his intention in making The Maccabees was “to convert the Jews to Christianity.”

“You said the Torah made reference to the sacrifice of Christian babies and infants,” Esterhas asserted. “When I told you that you were confusing the Torah with The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, … you insisted ‘it’s in the Torah – it’s in there!’ (It isn’t).”

The letter goes on to say that Gibson called Jews “Hebes,” “oven-dodgers” and “Jewboys.”

Eszterhas also stated that Gibson used the project in order “to deflect continuing charges of antisemitism which have dogged you, charges which have crippled your career.”

In response, Gibson wrote a letter claiming that Eszterhas’s script was substandard and lacked “a sense of triumph.” He also claimed that the majority of the accusations made against him were “utter fabrications.”

“Contrary to your assertion that I was only developing Maccabees to burnish my tarnished reputation, I have been working on this project for over 10 years and it was publicly announced eight years ago,” he said. “I absolutely want to make this movie; it’s just that neither Warner Brothers nor I want to make this movie based on your script.”

Last year, the Jewish community expressed dismay at Gibson’s intentions of directing a film about the heroism of the Maccabees. In 2006 Gibson was arrested for drunk driving and went on a rank of anti-Semitic outbursts. He also directed the film, The Passion of the Christ, which portrays the Jews in an extremely unfavorable manner.

Tags: ,

Comments

10 Responses to “Mel Gibson Accused of Sabotaging Maccabee Film, ‘Hating Jews’”

1 | April 12, 2012 6:50 pm

Mel Gibson was always a ham actor in my book.

2. yenta-fada
    2 | April 12, 2012 7:40 pm

One less Mel Gibson movie on anything to do with religion, especially of the Jewish persuasion, is a mitzvah. :-)

3 | April 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Speranza wrote:

Mel Gibson was always a ham actor in my book.

That right there makes him non-kosher. :roll:

4. 4 | April 12, 2012 9:23 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one film with Gibson in it. Never found him attractive or interesting in the least, and all those crappy Lethal Weapon flicks in the 80s? BLECH!

5. 5 | April 12, 2012 11:06 pm

If you have a parent (or both parents, as the case may be) who are bat$#!+ crazy, you have to distance yourself from their craziness while still (to the best of your ability) treating your parents with the honor required in the Commandments.

Let’s just say that I know whereof I speak.

6 | April 13, 2012 5:44 am

Urban Infidel wrote:

Lethal Weapon -- talk about overacting. Also you team up anti-Semites Danny Glover and Mel Gibson well the “k” word must’ve been flowing!

7. ThreeHundred
    7 | April 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Regardless, “We Were Soldiers” was a fine movie.

8. yenta-fada
    8 | April 13, 2012 4:27 pm

ThreeHundred wrote:

Regardless, “We Were Soldiers” was a fine movie.

He was really good as a paranoid headcase in “Conspiracy Theory”. :-)

9 | April 15, 2012 12:20 am

@ 8 yenta-fada: there is a theory out there that Gibson is drawn to tortured heretics in all his roles.

I thought the Mad Max movies were great. Lethal Weapon series just so -- so. I thought the Passion of the Christ was an exceptional move as well as Braveheart. Other than those not many stand out in my memory.

10. 10 | April 15, 2012 12:40 pm

I rather liked the first Mad Max movie. And The Patriot -- I love that one. Braveheart was good. The Passion of the Christ is a must-see for any Christian and if it did cast “the Jews” unfavorably, I paid that no mind as my mind is already settled on the matter.

I’m learning that talent doesn’t always come in the package I would prefer but that even so, it can, at times, produce a product that I can appreciate.