Johann Tetris 1928-2009

by Bunk X ( 47 Comments › )
Filed under History, Humor, OOT, Open thread, Technology at May 7th, 2012 - 11:00 pm

Cartersville, GA  (Strutts News Services) – Even in an economic downturn, many businesses flourish. Tetris Constructions is one of them. Regardless, Johann “Joe” Tetris died yesterday afternoon of natural causes, succumbing to HSB.  HSB is known to laymen as “He Stopped Breathing.”

[via]
What a sad day that was indeed, but we needn’t mourn because “Stackin’ Joe” wouldn’t have wanted it that way. So let’s have a block party instead, on
The Overnight Open Thread.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

47 Responses to “Johann Tetris 1928-2009”

1. 1 | May 7, 2012 11:28 pm

Dedicated to the Bunkmiester…

2. 2 | May 8, 2012 12:02 am

:D :D :D

3. 3 | May 8, 2012 12:07 am

4. 4 | May 8, 2012 12:08 am

I used to like this game.

5. 5 | May 8, 2012 12:13 am

Hey, Dorian and I haven’t talked in a while. Besides, the OOT’s are slow these days.
    P.S. Got a surprise for you. Watch your emailage.
    P.P.S. I just realized you were talking about Tetris.

6. 6 | May 8, 2012 12:20 am

Tetris

Play nice.

7. 7 | May 8, 2012 12:26 am

Okay, let’s talk Tetris. I was on a flight to Las Vegas for business, and the plane was packed with Japanese tourists. I sat next to a couple who were on their honeymoon.

The guy spoke no English, but his fiancee did a little, and she was in the middle seat. He was getting pissed at me until I showed him my wedding ring. I know very little Japanese, so we spoke with sketches and gestures. I said the words “Mitsubishi”, “Yamaha”, “Toyota”, “Konishi wa,” etc. Then I said “Benjo wa doko deska?”

Both their eyes lit up and they started laughing and pointing to the rear of the plane. It means “Where’s the bathroom.”

Then we played Tetris on a keychain-sized game and I beat their high scores.

8. 8 | May 8, 2012 1:49 am

LOL CITY THIS.

9 | May 8, 2012 2:00 am

@ Bunk X:That is kinds of funny in a Southpark sort of way.

10. 10 | May 8, 2012 2:06 am

@ darkwords:
    I didn’t know it was coming down the pike, but the details are hilarious. I’m not even sure who did it, but we need to talk. XD

11. 11 | May 8, 2012 2:12 am

@ darkwords:
    It refers to a tweet that CJ posted today, as well as his multiple comments about his Mossberg. And stuff.

12. 12 | May 8, 2012 2:19 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ darkwords:

Chuck keeps using that word “Mossberg” I don’t think it means what he think it means… :twisted:

13 | May 8, 2012 6:04 am

Counterpunch.

Oscar-nominated filmmaker Michael McNulty is turning his attention to the Fast and Furious scandal, and he plans to have his film in theaters before the Nov. presidential election.

14 | May 8, 2012 6:06 am

Uppercut.

In an explosive Newsweek article set to rock official Washington, reporter Peter Boyer and Breitbart contributing editor and Government Accountability Institute President Peter Schweizer reveal how Attorney General Eric Holder and the Department of Justice are operating under a “justice for sale” strategy by forgoing criminal prosecution of Wall Street executives at big financial institutions who just so happen to be clients of the white-shoe law firms where Holder and his top DOJ lieutenants worked.

15. Guggi
    15 | May 8, 2012 6:15 am

The sky is falling an pigs can fly :-)

Robert Fisk is denouncing arab racism

Robert Fisk: Arab Spring has washed the region’s appalling racism out of the news

(…)

A health warning, therefore, to all Arab readers of this column: you may not like this week’s rant from yours truly. Because I fear very much that the video of Alem Dechasa’s recent torment in Beirut is all too typical of the treatment meted out to foreign domestic workers across the Arab world (there are 200,000 in Lebanon alone).

Many hundreds of thousands have now seen the footage of 33-year-old Ms Dechasa being abused and humiliated and pushed into a taxi by Ali Mahfouz, the Lebanese agent who brought her to Lebanon as a domestic worker. Ms Dechasa was transported to hospital where she was placed in the psychiatric wing and where, on 14 March, she hanged herself. She was a mother of two and could not stand the thought of being deported back to her native Ethiopia. That may not have been the only reason for her mental agony.

Lebanese women protested in the centre of Beirut, the UN protested, everyone protested. Ali Mahfouz has been formally accused of contributing to her death. But that’s it.

The Syrian revolt, the Bahraini revolution, the Arab Awakening, have simply washed Alem Dechasa’s tragedy out of the news. How many readers know – for example – that not long before Ms Dechasa’s death, a Bengali domestic worker was raped by a policeman guarding her at a courthouse in the south Lebanese town of Nabatieh, after she had been caught fleeing an allegedly abusive employer?

(…)

16. citizen_q
    16 | May 8, 2012 6:33 am

Good morning everyone

17 | May 8, 2012 6:45 am

Greetings & salutations & what up?

18 | May 8, 2012 6:50 am

@ citizen_q:

Good morning!

Word, dawg.

19 | May 8, 2012 7:03 am

@ Bumr50:
    “Blood on their hands” might balance the Ksthryn Bigelow
    movie about killing Bin Laden.
    Her movie coming out before the election will no doubt
    glorify the Obama.
    I hope that the producers of “Blood on their hands”
    interview Katie Pavlich. She has done some killer research
    for her book.

20. citizen_q
    20 | May 8, 2012 7:12 am

I find it unsurprising and disturbing how the dots are never connected to islam when acts of jihad make their way into the news. The current underwear bomb plot is a case in point.

At best they try to personalize it to a specific boogie-man such as the bomb maker in the underwear bomb plot, anwar al-wacky, or osama.
    immplying just getting that one person and terrorism would disappear. Of course new master-mind bad guys keep popping up, and no one in the MFM or the grabbermint spokes-liars dares whisper about motivating ideology found in islam’s immutable sacred texts, history or the pious words of the jihadists themselves.

21 | May 8, 2012 7:12 am

It’s nice to see some fight in the arena of “news entertainment.”

I guess Newsweek has gone from a liberal whore of a rag to just a plain old whore as it’s gone broke.

Thousands of waiting patients will get a different perspective!

22. mfhorn
    22 | May 8, 2012 7:12 am

Petris

23 | May 8, 2012 7:14 am

It’s great to see everyone, BTW!

I’ve moved to second shift, so I can participate more.

24. citizen_q
    24 | May 8, 2012 7:16 am

Bumr50 wrote:

Newsweek was overpriced when it was sold for a dollar.

25 | May 8, 2012 7:19 am

BY: Washington Free Beacon Staff -- May 7, 2012 9:58 am
    Florida Congresswoman and head of the Democratic National Committee Debbie Wasserman Schultz told a group of South Florida healthcare workers that she has “earned” her extensive federal health benefits after being asked whether average citizens should have access to the same benefits as Congressmen

See, all of you deserve rationing , but she has never worked
    a day in the private sector & “deserves” better coverage.

26. citizen_q
    26 | May 8, 2012 7:19 am

@ Bumr50:
    kewl!

I am sitting out work waiting for my hand to heal from crap-el tunnel and trigger finger release surgery, so I have more time to hang out but having a hard time posting,

27 | May 8, 2012 7:21 am

@ citizen_q:

That sucks.

You need good voice to text.

28 | May 8, 2012 7:23 am

@ Bumr50:

It’s nice to see some fight in the arena of “news entertainment.”

It would be nice to see Holder frog marched off to jail.
    There is no way thet Obama did not approve Fast & Furious,
    or at the very least give tacit approval by not objecting.

29. citizen_q
    29 | May 8, 2012 7:23 am

I despise that kook demon-crap.

I suppose we peasants should be satisfied with enough healthcare so we are just productive enough to support elites like her in the manner they deserve, and then quietly die.

30. citizen_q
    30 | May 8, 2012 7:29 am

@ Bumr50:

I think I just need patience.

I should recover soon enough. Though i still feel some “triggering” that was supposed to have been corrected, and am waiting to hear back from my doctor about. The procedures were all supposed to have been successful.

31 | May 8, 2012 7:32 am

@ citizen_q:

That’s good news.

I’m afraid my wife (bookkeeper) is beginning to suffer carpal tunnel syndrome.

32. citizen_q
    32 | May 8, 2012 7:45 am

@ Bumr50:
    I guess it’s an occupational hazard. I’m a systems admin, on a keyboard all day.

I have done everything I could over the last few years to fight it short of surgery. Finally decided on surgery when non-surgical options failed and I started exhibiting more severe symptoms. Thought it the best decision since untreated permanent nerve damage and muscle wasting could result.

33 | May 8, 2012 7:48 am

@ citizen_q:
    I have always found Debbie Wasserman Schultz to be
    a good reason for double beds.

34. mfhorn
    34 | May 8, 2012 7:53 am

@ citizen_q:
    I have always found Debbie Wasserman Schultz to be
    a good reason for double beds separate rooms houses.

35. 35 | May 8, 2012 7:54 am

Debbie Wasserman Schultz is a sound arguement for celibacy. I wouldn’t fuck her with your dick…

36 | May 8, 2012 7:56 am

mfhorn wrote:

@ citizen_q:
    I have always found Debbie Wasserman Schultz to be
    a good reason for double beds separate rooms houses.

Or maybe a hundred miles or so in between.

37 | May 8, 2012 7:59 am

And that thing is married. There is a totally submissive
    guy in Florida.
    She’s really more like a virus than a person.

38. mfhorn
    38 | May 8, 2012 8:12 am

Sounds like she & MooMoo are more manly than their husbands are.

39. 39 | May 8, 2012 8:15 am

Today is make or break day for Dick Lugar. I hope Mourdock kicks his ass into next week. And a cool thing about Indiana is they have a “Sore Loser” law that prevents Lugar from running as an independant in the General Election if he loses. Today is a big election day. They are also voting on a Marriage Amendment in North Carolina. It’ll be interesting to see how that comes out. Gay Marriage has lost everywhere it has been put to the voters. The people have spoken, the bastards… :P

40 | May 8, 2012 8:15 am

mfhorn wrote:

Sounds like she & MooMoo are more manly than their husbands are.

That seems to be a Democrat thing.

41 | May 8, 2012 8:18 am

she is the perfect example of the phrase “politics is showbiz for ugly people’

42 | May 8, 2012 8:22 am

If both he and Hatch go, perhaps some folks will become “enlightened…”

43 | May 8, 2012 8:27 am

Bumr50 wrote:

If both he and Hatch go, perhaps some folks will become “enlightened…”

kinda weird…i would have thought that incumbent dick lugar losing in a primary would be all over drudge…we got obesity and mexican playboy models…i guess a tea party led political annihilation of a rino aint news.

lugar is down by 10 as of today

44. 44 | May 8, 2012 8:29 am

If Mourdock wins by 10, that is an annihilation. I’ll certainly be happy. Saying good-bye to Dick Lugar has been a dream of mine for decades.

45 | May 8, 2012 8:37 am

10 points against a sitting senator is huge.

the tea parties are dead, huh?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

46. 46 | May 8, 2012 8:43 am

And no Murkowski Moment™ for Lugar if/when he loses! I love that! It is RINO season, once again, and we are about to bag one of the biggest ever. That bodes well for this fall.

47. Will Consult for Food
    47 | May 8, 2012 12:26 pm

My ever moderate independent father is planning to vote for Mourdock. I think Lugar is toast.