Conservatives tired of the Republican Party

by Rodan ( 20 Comments › )
Filed under Elections 2012, Headlines, Mitt Romney, Progressives, Republican Party at May 8th, 2012 - 12:08 am

I laugh when I hear the media claims the GOP has gone extreme Right.  On Social issues you can argue the GOP is Conservative, but on economic, fiscal and foreign policy, no way. The truth is historically speaking the Republicans are a Center-Left Party that manipulates Conservatives through the use of social issues. Many Conservatives are realizing the con job that the GOP has pulled on them.

It should come as no surprise that the Republican National Committee has been “covertly” supporting Mitt Romney throughout the primaries, as POLITICO recently “revealed.” It was the worst-kept secret in Washington

The RNC has always been the center of Republican insiderism — what the insiders call pragmatism. Consider, back when Roger Stone was at the Young Republicans, in 1975, he hung up a portrait of Ronald and Nancy Reagan in his office. Within hours, the order came down from the chairman’s suite: Take the picture down. At once.

Stone was not the only conservative with misgivings about the GOP. Reagan, the über outsider, called for a “new Republican Party” back in 1977. Reagan wanted the GOP to shed its country club, corporate boardroom image and become a genuine conservative movement, focused on the individual.

Reagan’s words threatened the status quo of the scions and heiresses of the country club and corporate boardroom set. The former California governor and his conservative followers were never accepted by these insiders — even after he won the presidency in 1980.

Reagan and Stone were not alone in their discomfort with the GOP — or the broader meaning of Republicanism. Indeed, Stone recently left the GOP, as have millions of others — judging by the dwindling numbers of real conservatives willing to associate with the Grand Old Party.

Although Conservatives will vote for Mitt Romney,  for many this could be the last time they vote Republican. If Mitt Romney governs as the Liberal his record indicates it is and gets us in a war in Syria, that will be the end of the Conservative support of the GOP. This is their last chance and many like me are dead serious. The GOP is on notice.

Tags:

Comments

20 Responses to “Conservatives tired of the Republican Party”

1 | May 8, 2012 4:53 am

Sens. Hatch and Lugar are learning this the hard way.

2. mfhorn
    3 | May 8, 2012 7:25 am

Mixed feelings here. I’m conservative on pretty much all issues, both economic & social, but I’ll admit that economic ones are more important at this point, and that I’m a bit more conservative on those issues too.

I’m just afraid that if we focus on economic issues, we’ll lose a big part of the base, and that if we leave the Republican party, it’ll take too long to build an economic conservative/social moderate (or libertarian) alternative. Maybe not, though.

4 | May 8, 2012 7:35 am

@ mfhorn:

I think a lot of what you see is a direct result of the GOP not simply ignoring conservatives on any number of things, but expressing disdain and despair at them.

4. mfhorn
    5 | May 8, 2012 7:55 am

Yeah, that could be. I’m a long way from being a Romney fan, but he couldn’t possibly be any worse than Obama, so I’m going to support Mitt 100%. We’ve got to get this country back from America haters like Soros & the rest of the far left.

6 | May 8, 2012 8:17 am

this is the last election where i hold my nose and vote for the GOP prez guy.

this time it is too important, there will be at least 3 supreme court picks in the next few years. and its the economy…

6. 7 | May 8, 2012 8:41 am

@ mfhorn:

Libertarian isn’t really an option. On foreign policy the Libertarians are, to put it delicately, batshit insane. Ron Paul is the epitome of this, and he doesn’t have a problem with Iran getting nukes. He is also an Open Borders fanatic. That is hardly a conservative alternative to the GOP. While I am less than pleased with the RNC myself, I have chosen to make that known in other ways. I do not donate to the RNC anymore. I donate (when I have the money) to individual candidates that I know represent my values.

7. 8 | May 8, 2012 9:30 am

Nation building like the Iraq, Afghanistan or intervening for Islamists like in Libya or what Romney wants to do in Syria isn’t Conservative either. A true Conservative foreign policy would be cautious and only go to war where there is direct national interest. When war is committed, it should be total and brutal. No occupation nor nation building. Just smash and leave.

The Republicans are too Wilsonian pro-Islamic for my taste. They will have 6 months, then I and many others will go after the GOP.

8. 9 | May 8, 2012 9:31 am

This is their last Chance. If Romney govern like a Bush style liberal and gets us into a war in Syria, many on the Right will leave the GOP.

9. 10 | May 8, 2012 9:35 am

mfhorn wrote:

The GOP has focus on Social Issues the last 20 years. What good has it done. Abortion is legal and society is more Liberal on social matters. In that span of time, the GOP when they ran things presided over an anemic economy and exploded the deficits. They dropped the ball on economic matters and just talked about family values. The result is the Obama regime.

If Romney governs like Bush which was economically/fiscal Liberal and Socially Conservative I am done. I don’t care if someone is socially Conservative, but if they use that to push Economic Liberalism, I’m done.

11 | May 8, 2012 9:48 am

It seems the only thing that they respond to is the loss of a vote, and nothing less -- including debating, threatening, begging, and petitioning.

Given the stubbornness, maybe not even that…

11. 12 | May 8, 2012 10:09 am

@ Bumr50:

I agree. This is it for me. If Romney governs like Bush being economically/fiscally Liberal and gets us in a war in Syria, I will go on the attack on him. I will give him 6 months, after that the GOP will be my enemy. If this occurs, I hope others on the Right start a new Party. I’m sick of a crappy economy, high debt and Americans dying for Islam.

12. 13 | May 8, 2012 10:36 am

Starting another viable Party i snowhere near as easy as you seem to think it would be. You need a cohesive block of voters (a lot of them, too) and you need people with money to back it. It takes a lot of money to become even a congressman, let alone a Senator, Govertnor, or President. If you want a true third party, you have to start in the Statehouses. Elect some local congressmen. If you can’t do that, you have no chance of effecting things on a national basis. Look at the Socialists. They have Bernie Sanders, and that is it. What meaningful piece of legislation has Sanders ever gotten through in his entire career? That is the fate of a third Conservative Party unless you can make gains across many levels of government.

13. 14 | May 8, 2012 12:00 pm

Alot orf Conservatives/Libertarians are sick of the GOP’s lies and crap. That’s enough to form 10-15% of voters. Perot proved you can siphon votes from the GOP. His mistake was not forming a party to solidify that vote. It would have happened this year, but Obama is truly evil. The Democrats will not always have Obama.

If a new Party emerges and gets 10-15% of the vote, it will cost the GOP an election. Once they realize they can’t win with out us, they would have to make compromises to bring us back into the fold. All I ask is fiscal responsibility and NO nation building.

15 | May 8, 2012 2:16 pm

The record of the GOP is not nearly as Conservative as its rhetoric.

16 | May 8, 2012 2:17 pm

this is the last election where i hold my nose and vote for the GOP prez guy.

And our national security as well.

17 | May 8, 2012 2:33 pm

It’s my last GoP election also. If they can’t put across a win that devastates the left in this country so much that they all go crawl under rocks.. then I am off to vote with the beer drinking, ford driving, pheasant hunting, gun toting, war fighting rednecks. lol

The most common last words of a redneck. “Hey watch this!!”

18 | May 8, 2012 3:39 pm

mfhorn wrote:

Where are these people going to go and how much did the base help in 2008 when we got creamed? That “base” has held us hostage for over 20 years with their meaningless social red meat issues all the while we have turned off the suburbs which used to go Republican.

19 | May 8, 2012 3:48 pm

darkwords wrote:

The most common last words of a redneck. “Hey watch this!!”

and those words are almost always uttered after beer consumption!

20 | May 8, 2012 3:59 pm

Speranza wrote:

that ‘base’ got us slim victories in 2000, 2004…loses in 92 and 96 and 2008, pretty lousy record if you ask me.

the resurgence of the pissed off economy first suburbanites in the tea parties are what made 2010, this will be the last time many of us vote gop unless they get their heads out of their asses and start addressing the economy for real.

we dont want to hear morality and culture war from the political class, we have priests and rabbis for that. we want prosperity and the government off of our backs and out of our lives. we want to hand our kids a better standard of living when we are done. the gop has not addressed these things in the past decade and i do not expect the dems to do anything about it.

the feeling is among many of the TEA party types i know and converse with in the meat world is that this election is THE last time we hold our noses and vote GOP.

Taxed