by savage ( 11 Comments › )
Filed under Military at May 27th, 2012 - 9:00 am

Image by John Cole of Cagle.com

Comments

11 Responses to “Thank you”

1. spinmore
    1 | May 27, 2012 9:36 am

Godspeed

2 | May 27, 2012 9:46 am

Everybody who has lost someone in one of our conficts,
    I hope that this weekend comforts you as we honor them

3. mawskrat
    3 | May 27, 2012 10:04 am

prayers for all the families that
    have lost one of thier loved ones.
    in war.

4 | May 27, 2012 10:23 am

Changing of the Guard, Tomb of the Unknowns

5. mawskrat
    5 | May 27, 2012 10:25 am

@ huckfunn:

that always brings a tear to my eyes

6. rain of lead
    6 | May 27, 2012 11:32 am

Marine Corps silent drill team

7. rain of lead
    7 | May 27, 2012 11:47 am

8. 8 | May 27, 2012 12:22 pm

For as long as I can remember, Memorial Day has been the second most important holiday for my family, preceded in importance only by Christmas. I have ancestors buried in National Cemeteries all across America going all the way back to the Revolutionary War.

My Family on my Father’s side arrived in America long before America was even the original Thirteen Colonies. One of my ancestors was a Whaling Captain, when my Father passed away in 2001, he was living in the family home on the Island of Nantucket which has been in my family’s possession since 1661.

Someone in every generation of my family since the Revolutionary War has served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. We are an old American Military family, hence the reason Memorial Day is our second most important holiday.

I have a nephew who I have met only one time. He is my now deceased little brother Guy’s daughter Jessica’s son, when I met him 6 years ago, he was in the United states Marine Corps. My brother Guy himself served in the United states Navy, as did my little brother Clifford.

My Step-Father Retired as a Chief Petty Officer after 27 years in the United States Navy. My biological father, who passed away in 2001, served as a SSgt in the United States Air Force and his father, my Grandfather retired after 40 years of service as a Full Bird Colonel and the Commandant of the 94th Aero Squadron. He enlisted in WWI and flew with Eddie Rickenbacker, volunteered as a member of the American Volunteer Group (Also known as The Flying Tigers) under Claire Chennault, where he is listed as a flight mechanic for the “Hell’s Angles fighter squadron” under the name of Hank Walker, he was actually a Reserve Captain in the United States Army Air Corps and a pilot and it was illegal for him to be there, hence his official listing as a flight mechanic. He was one of the first America Jet fighter Aces, a distinction he won during the Korean War. He retired in 1958 and passed away from cancer in 1959.

Yes, when I say this, it is with all humility and from the deepest depths of my heart, Thank you to each and every individual who has served in the American Armed Forces.

9. 9 | May 27, 2012 12:28 pm

This is called “The Missing Man formation” and it always brings a tear to my eye.

10. fudimo
    10 | May 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Just saying thanks to a hero that gave it all for our country.

11 | May 27, 2012 4:27 pm

They fly as if he is still there.

mawskrat wrote:

@ huckfunn:
    that always brings a tear to my eyes

Me too. May we not lose what they have earned with ultimate selflessness.