It’s Wiggle Time!

by Bunk X ( 76 Comments › )
Filed under Art, History, Humor, OOT, Open thread, Technology at June 27th, 2012 - 11:00 pm

I don’t have the original source for that bitchin’ & twitchin’ lenticulation, but I can tell you that the first .gif was created by Steve Wilhite of CompuServe 25 years ago. He coined the phrase, “Choosy programmers choose GIF.”

Fun Facts to Know And Tell on The Overnight Open Thread.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

76 Responses to “It’s Wiggle Time!”

1. mfhorn
    1 | June 27, 2012 11:28 pm

10:25pm and it’s 96 outside. I sure don’t believe that human activity is causing anything, but we’re sure seeing the other end of that ‘new ice age’ scientists were worried about in the 70′s, aren’t we?

That little kitten we found a few weeks ago is doing MUCH better- she’s running around like crazy, full of energy. This is one lucky little girl. I’m glad we rescued her, even though we’re now in ‘crazy cat couple’ territory.

I hope there’s good news from the SCOTUS tomorrow re Obamacare. As much as I’d like to see that whole damn law thrown out, I’d settle for the individual mandate and a few other key provisions so that it’s watered down by at least 50%.

2. Lily
    2 | June 27, 2012 11:31 pm

@ mfhorn:

I’m hoping it’s thrown out completely and praying.
    But heaven only knows what will be the verdict.

3. CynicalConservative
    3 | June 27, 2012 11:36 pm

I’m thinking if it’s upheld, it’s Galt time. Seriously, at that point, why bother; it’s the takers > makers.

/lurk

4. Calo
    4 | June 27, 2012 11:44 pm

@ CynicalConservative:
    My daughter started a “real job” with a paycheck to go with it recently. First question she asked was why money was taken out of her check that she earned and given to the government.

She’s a fine, young Republican this week. :lol:

5. Lily
    5 | June 27, 2012 11:56 pm

@ Calo:

That is always a wake-up call when they enter the workforce.

6. 6 | June 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Nerve wracking night tonight. Poppa Strutts went into the hospital this afternoon, and I can’t get information due to HIPAA laws. Bastards keep putting me on hold.

7. Lily
    7 | June 27, 2012 11:58 pm

@ Bunk X:

Sorry to hear about that bunk…hopefully you will manage to get some information …

8. Calo
    8 | June 28, 2012 12:04 am

@ Bunk X:
    Bunk, the hospital is just going to give you a general, ambiguous condition such as serious but stable which means NOTHING. Is there any family with him that you can call? Or, do you know the primary docs name?

9. 9 | June 28, 2012 12:08 am

@ Calo:
    We hired a lot of kids on the ranch. “Who the hell is FICA and why’s he getting so much of my money?”

10. AZfederalist
    10 | June 28, 2012 12:12 am

the first .gif was created by Steve Wilhite of CompuServe 25 years ago

LZH compression, what a great boon to being able to move data efficiently! Has it been that long? Crap! I’m getting old. I remember working with gifs and jpegs when I was doing my Master’s thesis. Not on compression, but unpacking the darned things and manipulating the imagery.

11. AZfederalist
    11 | June 28, 2012 12:12 am

BTW bunk, that is a fine looking gif.

12. 12 | June 28, 2012 12:15 am

Calo wrote:

@ CynicalConservative:
    She’s a fine, young Republican this week.

Did you explain to her it’s because the government is full of good for nothing scum sucking liars and thieves?

13. 13 | June 28, 2012 12:18 am

AZfederalist wrote:

BTW bunk, that is a fine looking gif.

I was thinking lascivious thought bout her till I got to the 25 years ago part and realized she was a grandma in an old folks home by now… :oops:

14 | June 28, 2012 12:24 am

Beware of Geeks bearing .GIFs :twisted:

15. Calo
    15 | June 28, 2012 12:26 am

Of course I did DG.

I almost fell over in laughter as she explained to me how hard she worked for her check and knew exactly what she wanted to spend her money on and that there should be provisions in the tax code to exempt teenagers like herself.

She has been spoiled in the past working for cash in the underground domestic economy.

16. AZfederalist
    16 | June 28, 2012 12:31 am

doriangrey wrote:

Yeah, well considering she looked like that 25 years ago, we were old enough to appreciate those looks then, and we are 25 years older makes us, what?

17 | June 28, 2012 12:33 am

@ Calo:

I’ve seen my share of first paychecks.

“Who’s FICA?” is a common reaction.

18. 18 | June 28, 2012 12:34 am

Calo wrote:

Of course I did DG.

Yea, I remember having that exact same discussion with my folks when I got my first job. My step father looked me right square in the eyes and in the soberest of tones said to me, “Son, the indignities are just starting, now that Uncle Same has gotten his cut of your paycheck, I want mine… Beer and cigarets aint free ya know”… :shock:

19. 19 | June 28, 2012 12:35 am

AZfederalist wrote:

and we are 25 years older makes us, what?

Dirty old men and damned proud of it…. :razz: :twisted:

20. 20 | June 28, 2012 12:35 am

Calo wrote:

there should be provisions in the tax code to exempt teenagers like herself

Who does she think she is, an Obama bundler? Have you explained how she will have to pay more and more to fund the Social Security ponzi scheme? Not to mention interest on the debt. I’m old, tell her thanks.

21. Calo
    21 | June 28, 2012 12:37 am

@ AZfederalist:
    Umm, Dorian still is still sporting a ponytail.

He is a perpetual youngster.

22. 22 | June 28, 2012 12:43 am

@ mfhorn:
    About two weeks a go I rescued what I thought was a kitten. Turned out to be a cross between a copper head snake and a whirlwind.

23. 23 | June 28, 2012 12:44 am

Calo wrote:

He is a perpetual youngster.

Occupational requirement… :razz:

24. 24 | June 28, 2012 12:57 am

@ Calo:
    Just got word from one of the doctors -- it’s not a stroke, but just as bad, bleeding in the brain due to head trauma -- he fell. I’m going to the hospital tomorrow morning.

25. 25 | June 28, 2012 1:01 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ Calo:
    Just got word from one of the doctors – it’s not a stroke, but just as bad, bleeding in the brain due to head trauma – he fell. I’m going to the hospital tomorrow morning.

Prays for Pappy Strutts…

26. 26 | June 28, 2012 1:04 am

Thanks. I’m not gonna bring the thread down. Over and out.

27. AZfederalist
    27 | June 28, 2012 1:04 am

doriangrey wrote:

Dirty old men and damned proud of it….

Well, I like that better than co-residents in the same old folks home. :-)

28. Calo
    28 | June 28, 2012 1:05 am

@ Bunk X:

Rounds are usually done early for most docs. Around 6:30-8 am.
    Try to time your visit at the time the doc visits, you will get more information then… usually.

29. AZfederalist
    29 | June 28, 2012 1:06 am

Bunk X wrote:

Thanks. I’m not gonna bring the thread down. Over and out.

Ditto Dorian’s statement. Thoughts and prayers for him.

30 | June 28, 2012 1:14 am

OK, we need some music for Miss Clockwatcher to wiggle her hips to.

31. Alberta Oil Peon
    31 | June 28, 2012 1:14 am

Best wishes from me as well, Bunk.

32. Alberta Oil Peon
    32 | June 28, 2012 1:17 am

@ The Osprey:
    Heh. I just the other day put a clock just like the one in the picture up on the wall in my garage. It’s an “Edwards Synchronized Clock” as was used in schools and other institutions. Had two electric motors in it. One made it run double time, the other I think was controlled by a central station to slow it down. I shitcanned the old synchronous motors, and installed a little battery-powered movement that had been hanging around in drawer for years. Works like a charm, too.

33 | June 28, 2012 1:19 am

@ Bunk X:

Is he conscious?

I’ll keep him in my prayers tonight.

34 | June 28, 2012 1:40 am

I just heard that Obama is planning to descend upon Colorado on Friday.

Yeah, that’ll help…

35. Guggi
    35 | June 28, 2012 1:55 am

I just heard that Obama is planning to descend upon Colorado on Friday.
    Yeah, that’ll help…

Don’t you know that he can heal the world ? /////

36 | June 28, 2012 2:00 am

@ Guggi:

Don’t you know that he can heal the world ? /////

I know that he says he can heal the world.

Just like he says that he can create jobs…balance the budget…bring the country together…raise America’s standing in the world…

37. Guggi
    37 | June 28, 2012 2:09 am

It’s the fault of the evil Reps, don’t you know that ? It’s how it works in Muslim countries: since Islam is the best and most perfect religion in the world it’s thw orl of the evil non-believers why their states and their religion fail.

38 | June 28, 2012 2:16 am

@ Guggi:

Of course

39. Guggi
    39 | June 28, 2012 2:18 am

Guggi wrote:

it’s thw orl of

?????

it’s the fault of (OmG it’s to early…more coffee….)

bbl

40. 40 | June 28, 2012 5:43 am

BIG damned day today. Right up there with DC v Heller and Mcdonald v Chicago.

41 | June 28, 2012 6:11 am

@ Mike C.:

Yup

42. 42 | June 28, 2012 6:43 am

And me having to work, and early days at work yet, which means lots of scrambling for resources and guidance. Can’t spend my time parked in front of the laptop, and I’m not going to open a bunch of non-work sites on the corporate machinery. Well, if I miss something by an hour, I suppose the universe won’t stop expanding or anything…

43. 43 | June 28, 2012 7:05 am

@ Mike C.:

I’m going to be on pins and needles until the decision comes out. I am afraid to hope. When you consider that health care is like one sixth of the US economy, I’d say this decision is bigger than Heller or McDonald. Those were big, important decisions, but this decision effects everybody in the United States.

44. 44 | June 28, 2012 7:13 am

@ Mike C.:

I keep having this horrible thought that it’s all going to be upheld, Obama knows it, and he’s suckering us all into preemptive triumphalism. Gawd, he would be insufferable….squared.

45. 45 | June 28, 2012 7:44 am

@ MacDuff:
    Wouldn’t that just be the shit? It is certainly possible. I won’t celebrate until the Supreme Court gives me reason to. We should know by noon.

46. 46 | June 28, 2012 7:47 am

Morning. The ruling comes down at 10:00 AM. We have a thread running 9-2 as an open.

Hey did you see my thread from last night? I can’t believe this guy though Obama’s voice ended the rain.

47. 47 | June 28, 2012 7:50 am

We’re practically in a drought condition right now and I’ve been watering my lawn almost daily to keep it alive. Damned Obama shouldn’t have stopped the rain!

48. 48 | June 28, 2012 7:55 am

@ MacDuff:

From my post:

Rally Participant O’Donnell: See what his voice does? It clears up the weather, too. It clears up the economy, creates jobs, helps education, and straightens out the weather

This scares me. This explains why despite all the bad news, this man is still in the Mid 40′s and has a shot of winning. We are dealing with a cult.

49. 49 | June 28, 2012 8:00 am

Yeah, I saw that. I left you a comment on the thread. It is unreal the people that worship this man! It is blasphemous, and the pharaoh eats it up. Scary, but I think he’ll get a real kick in the balls today. First the Supreme Court, then contempt for Holder. Today is going to be a good day. I hope …

50. 50 | June 28, 2012 8:12 am

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

51. mawskrat
    51 | June 28, 2012 8:18 am

MacDuff wrote:

I having to water my flower and veggie gardens
    last year it would not stop raining. this year
    is gonna be a dry one in the Ohio Valley

52. 52 | June 28, 2012 8:21 am

@ mawskrat:

maybe the god-king will come and give you rain!

53 | June 28, 2012 8:31 am

Wow, were the MSM talking heads spinning yesterday!

54 | June 28, 2012 8:33 am

Obama Prepares Three Speeches Ahead of Health-Care Ruling

Yea, nasty, nasty and nastier

55. 55 | June 28, 2012 8:35 am

mawskrat wrote:

I having to water my flower and veggie gardens
    last year it would not stop raining. this year
    is gonna be a dry one in the Ohio Valley

We’re supposed to hit 104 today and 106 tomorrow…..

56 | June 28, 2012 8:38 am

Texas college hacks government drone

Side effects

57. citizen_q
    57 | June 28, 2012 8:38 am

I am hoping and praying.

Shame I have to work today, since I will be distracted by these 2 huge events.

58. 58 | June 28, 2012 8:40 am

@ waldensianspirit:
    I hope he is in a very nasty mood after the ruling. I hope he loses it and throws a shit-storm temper tantrum, especially after they hold Holder in contempt. It could be a beautiful thing!

59 | June 28, 2012 8:43 am

They’ll have him completely doped up on psychoactive drugs

60. 60 | June 28, 2012 8:45 am

@ waldensianspirit:
    @ citizen_q:
    @ MacDuff:

I am really nervous. This is a huge life and death decision.

61. 61 | June 28, 2012 8:46 am

I hope Obama has a Charles Johnson style meltdown.

BTW, You see Charles said Fast and Furious never happened?

62 | June 28, 2012 8:49 am

So did CNN’s Solobad

63. 63 | June 28, 2012 8:52 am

Denial is just a river in Egypt … :roll:

64. 64 | June 28, 2012 8:52 am

Yeah, the messiah-like quality that the true believers have tried to impart on the American people has been on the far side of creepy since the beginning. They’re fringers, though. Americans can be gullible, but not that gullible. I think his poll numbers are still owing to “the First Black President” vibe, but IF the economy continues to worsen and IF his signature legislation is struck down Democrats will start launching the lifeboats in increasing numbers and frantically rowing away from SS Obama. Anyone, anywhere imprinting god-like qualities to a profound failure of a president will look like Kool-Aid drinking People’s Temple members -- which is, essentially, what they are.

65 | June 28, 2012 8:52 am

waldensianspirit wrote:

Wow, were the MSM talking heads spinning yesterday!

On France 24, they keep referring to the idea that it’s a partisan issue, and they passed along the Dem spin that if it’s struck down, it means the courts have become too politicized.

66. citizen_q
    66 | June 28, 2012 8:56 am

@ waldensianspirit:
    @ citizen_q:
    @ MacDuff:
    I am really nervous. This is a huge life and death decision.

Not only life and death on the face of it, but allowed to stand provides precedent for the grabbermint to inject itself into every aspect of our lives outside of the realm of healthcare.

I was trying to explain the implications to my wife, and with 2 recent events as examples. The grabbermint forcing the Catholic church to provide contraceptives in oppositions to its belief, and the punitive retaliation against the state of AZ in response the the ruling on SB1070. These two incidents crystallize for me the dangers of the grabbermint power.

At least that’s how I discussed this last night with my non-political wife.

67. 67 | June 28, 2012 8:59 am

I am hopeful, but I am nervous too. Today is a momentous day. The Old Lady sent me a link to Politico, and they are saying 20-39 Democrats will vote for contempt against Holder. That would be huge.

68. 68 | June 28, 2012 9:00 am

@ waldensianspirit:
    @ citizen_q:
    @ MacDuff:

I am really nervous. This is a huge life and death decision.

In the words of our zany, madcap VP, “this is a big fucking deal!”

Combined with the contempt vote on Holder, it could be a very, very bad day for Obama. If it all goes south for him today, I look for him to play the martyr card….and it won’t work.

69. 69 | June 28, 2012 9:03 am

They all act like “politicization” is a bad thing! What would be unhealthy and downright scary is if it wasn’t “politicized”.

70. 70 | June 28, 2012 9:06 am

@ MacDuff:

Anyone, anywhere imprinting god-like qualities to a profound failure of a president will look like Kool-Aid drinking People’s Temple members – which is, essentially, what they are.

:lol: OMG that’s classic!

71. 71 | June 28, 2012 9:06 am

Those 29-30 Democrats are patriots.

72 | June 28, 2012 9:08 am

Will cspan have it? What will be the best internet link?

73 | June 28, 2012 9:12 am

@ MacDuff:

I’m going to have to disagree there. The courts are supposed to rule on issues of fact and law, not according to the political beliefs of the judges, which is what they’re implying.

People frequently make the mistake of categorizing the Supreme Court members as either “conservative” or “liberal,” but that’s not really accurate. What they really are is “originalist” or “revisionist.”

The revisionists are political, because they have no regard for the actual law or Constitution. They decide cases based on the result that they think would be good, regardless of legal authority.

74. 74 | June 28, 2012 9:15 am

New Thread.

75. 75 | June 28, 2012 9:18 am

Not really. They are in tight races in Red State America. The Politico article indicated that it was the NRA’s position on contempt that swayed them. I don’t give the Democrats any credit for having principles. If this weren’t an election year it’d be a party line vote.

76. 76 | June 28, 2012 9:33 am

@ MacDuff:

Yeah, your point is well made, but politics and partisanship is a way people loosely sort themselves by ideology. While the Court is, hopefully, free from partisanship and their rulings dependent upon Constitutionality, alone, the reason the issue came before them in the first place was partisan disagreement. The passing of the law in question was highly partisan as it didn’t receive a single Republican vote.