Chris Matthews happy about Hurricane Sandy

by Rodan ( 251 Comments › )
Filed under Elections 2012, Progressives, Socialism, Tranzis at November 9th, 2012 - 7:00 pm

Hurricane Sandy helped tipped the election to Obama. The media’s fawning coverage was enough to get the President re-elected. Chris Matthews in a rare moment of honesty admitted the storm helped Obama.

Katrina killed Bush’s Presidency, while Sandy saved Obama’s. Republicans need to realize most of the American public are low information voters. They vote on slogans and images, not on policies. We need to emulate Progressives and their tactics.

Chris Matthews is the Charles Johnson of cable news. He’s has a nervous breakdown and should be in a mental institute.

Tags:

Comments

251 Responses to “Chris Matthews happy about Hurricane Sandy”

1. song_and_dance_man
    1 | November 9, 2012 7:05 pm

If Christie hadn’t slobbered all over the Chair the storm may have hurt more than just those that took the brunt of it’s damage. It could have Hurt the COTUS even more.

2. Lily
    2 | November 9, 2012 7:08 pm

Chrissy boy is insane..like obama doing his job??? That’s crazy talk unless he means doing his job in destroying this country.
    How utterly callous does one have to be to be happy about a storm that effected millions of people??? What has obama done to help those people? Nothing. FEMA pulled out the day after the elections how very special! Oh yeah obama cares. Plus to Chrissy boy it seems to be all about skin color…lets over-look everything else…

3. ferb123
    3 | November 9, 2012 7:32 pm

Hello,

wish you all a nice weekend :)

4 | November 9, 2012 7:37 pm

@ Lily:

Come now…everything is fine in those areas. Obama said so himself! FEMA is responding to requests within 15 minutes!

5. Lily
    5 | November 9, 2012 7:41 pm

@ ferb123:

Why aren’t out enjoying your 5 million dollars you won Tuesday night?

6. Lily
    6 | November 9, 2012 7:42 pm

Oh yes I forgot that comrade obama has everything under control.
    ////////////////

7. eaglesoars
    7 | November 9, 2012 7:43 pm

To be fair, he did apologize.

I don’t believe a word of the apology but……….

8 | November 9, 2012 7:45 pm

Lily wrote:

Oh yes I forgot that comrade obama has everything under control.
    ////////////////

If you keep spreading unfounded rumors, Santa Obama won’t give you anything for Christmas.

9. Lily
    9 | November 9, 2012 7:45 pm

@ eaglesoars:

How many times has he said something outrageous and then did an apology? One time I get it…more than one time says to me he can say any outrageous thing and just say “I’m sorry!” the next day.

10 | November 9, 2012 7:47 pm

Lily wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

Standard procedure at MSNBC.

11. Lily
    11 | November 9, 2012 7:49 pm

Lily wrote:

Oh yes I forgot that comrade obama has everything under control.
    ////////////////

You forget I live in Louisiana he will not give anything to us even if a Cat.5 hurricane hit us, a oil spill occurs, an unusual earthquake happens and 1000 tornadoes hit us all at once…he would say WOW see what Global Warming does in red states. Then he would precede to shut down more oil leases and more contracts (if there are any left for building of aircraft). Santa Claus will not even give us a rock of coal..because you know coal is evil. As far as Santa Claus is concerned we don’t exsist.

12. eaglesoars
    12 | November 9, 2012 7:51 pm

Lily wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

Actually, I don’t remember him apologizing for anything else -- could be wrong.

I have noticed his latest gig is calling people ‘pigs’.

13. eaglesoars
    13 | November 9, 2012 7:52 pm

Lily wrote:

As far as Santa Claus is concerned we don’t exsist.

Oh, indeed you DO!

As a “Don’t fuck with me’ object lesson.

14. Lily
    14 | November 9, 2012 7:53 pm

@ eaglesoars:

If I remember correctly this is the second in at least two weeks he has had to say “he is sorry”…I could be wrong..but if I remember correctly he said something else too.

15 | November 9, 2012 7:54 pm

@ Lily:

He’ll give you a free* Obamacare card.

*”Free” refers only to the card. Actual medical care not included.

16. Lily
    16 | November 9, 2012 7:54 pm

Lily wrote:

As far as Santa Claus is concerned we don’t exsist.

Oh, indeed you DO!

As a “Don’t fuck with me’ object lesson.

Oh yes…he has indeed proven that and I imagine it will only be worse the next four years for any red state in the south.

17. AZfederalist
    17 | November 9, 2012 7:57 pm

Chris Matthews in a rare moment of honesty admitted the storm helped the media help Obama.

Added for clarity

18. Lily
    18 | November 9, 2012 7:57 pm

@ Lily:

He’ll give you a free* Obamacare card.

*”Free” refers only to the card. Actual medical care not included.

That would mean he would have to acknowledge us as a state…we don’t exsist any longer. But we might be reported to the U.N. on some trump up human violations….this would not surprise me.

19. eaglesoars
    19 | November 9, 2012 7:58 pm

Lily wrote:

..but if I remember correctly he said something else too.

I think I know what you’re remembering -- mgmt apologized -- lemme find the link

20. AZfederalist
    20 | November 9, 2012 7:58 pm

*”Free” refers only to the card. Actual medical care not included.

Well, medical care is included if you can find a doctor who is still practicing and taking new patients. Otherwise, yeah, you are pretty well screwed.

21 | November 9, 2012 8:01 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

*”Free” refers only to the card. Actual medical care not included.

I’m sure there’s a plan to round up a few thousand “doctors” from Pakistan to take care of that.

22. Lily
    22 | November 9, 2012 8:01 pm

Lily wrote:

..but if I remember correctly he said something else too.

I think I know what you’re remembering — mgmt apologized — lemme find the link

Awww yes he refused to apologize but mangement did….so really it is the second time he said something offensive and got away with it…

23. song_and_dance_man
    23 | November 9, 2012 8:02 pm

Matthews best moment was towards the end of Wet’s last term when he agreed with most and wished ‘he would just go away.’ He will once again become somewhat sensible in about 3 and 3/4 years.

24. eaglesoars
    24 | November 9, 2012 8:03 pm

Lily wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

Is this what you’re remembering?

MSNBC President Apologizes For Matthews Calling Koch Brothers ‘Pigs’ But Won’t Force Him To

25. Lily
    25 | November 9, 2012 8:03 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

I think old age and drinking and brain damage has already occurred.

26. song_and_dance_man
    26 | November 9, 2012 8:04 pm

Too costly. They will come from the south.

27. Lily
    27 | November 9, 2012 8:04 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Yep, yep, yep. That was it. Thanks! ;)

28. Dolphin
    28 | November 9, 2012 8:05 pm

OT and drive by post -- I think someone here is keeping track of layoffs “post election”. My cousin (by marriage) just called and there is a large layoff happening at the Port of Houston. He will be one of them. I think he will be OK, but wanted to work another 5-8 years before he retired. Hubby said it was in the Houston Chronicle (www.chron.com), but a quick search didn’t find it.

29. Lily
    29 | November 9, 2012 8:06 pm

@ Dolphin:

Companies all over the place are laying-off people….if Mitt would have won there would have been a boom in hiring.
    This is just sickening.

30. eaglesoars
    30 | November 9, 2012 8:08 pm

Dolphin wrote:

I think someone here is keeping track of layoffs “post election”.

Hi Dolphin -- someone at the blaze is tracking I believe..

Very sorry about your cousin. Is this a union job?

31. Lily
    31 | November 9, 2012 8:09 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Weasel Zippers too…or he is reporting from The Blaze…

32. Lily
    32 | November 9, 2012 8:10 pm

Later all. Gotta go…might be back. ;)

33. 33 | November 9, 2012 8:10 pm

The guy who was subbing for Yawn Vannity brought up a good point: perhaps the Republicans deserve to go the way of the Whigs…the obvious next question would be: Who would take their place?

34 | November 9, 2012 8:11 pm

Lily wrote:

@ Dolphin:

This is just sickening.

I don’t know what I’m going to do now. I’ve just been rendered completely unemployable, since the only field I was likely to find a job in is going to be hardest hit.

35. song_and_dance_man
    35 | November 9, 2012 8:14 pm

@ Dolphin:

Proposed big business layoffs.

Welch Allyn 275

Stryker 5%

Boston Scientific 1500

Medtronic 1000

Smith & Nephew -- 770 layoffs
    Abbott Labs -- 700 layoffs
    Covidien -- 595 layoffs
    Kinetic Concepts -- 427 layoffs
    St. Jude Medical -- 300 layoffs
    Hill Rom -- 200 layoffs

And this is just from the AHA kicking in and doesn’t include the smaller and small businesses that will be affected. The numbers when taxes are raised next year and when we get to the so called Fiscal Cliff looks very bad for the economy.

36. song_and_dance_man
    36 | November 9, 2012 8:23 pm

bad times rock our comfort zone. I came to NM with nothing having lost everything. But after 7 years in a new industry I’m back on my feet. I make nowhere near what I used to make in data, but I have a new home and the boy is in college. It was a tough climb, but it’s working out. Sometimes, even late it life, we have to rebuild our future.

37 | November 9, 2012 8:26 pm

Macker wrote:

The Golden Dawn?

Gyrofascism, with Dolmades and Spanokopita for all!

38. Dolphin
    38 | November 9, 2012 8:27 pm

I don’t know what your expertise is, but there are several large companies hiring here in Houston. Schlumberger, Exxon, Anadarka, Baker Hughes. Crane is building multiple new warehouses.

@ eaglesoars:
    I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think so, he is more of the engineering type vs. dock worker.

39. eaglesoars
    39 | November 9, 2012 8:29 pm

I don’t know what you’re physical condition is but is there any chance you could get into a trade training pgm -- plumbing, electrician, etc.

Believe it or not -- locksmithing! I’ve needed one 3 times in the past year.

40. eaglesoars
    40 | November 9, 2012 8:31 pm

Dolphin wrote:

One thing I noticed reading thru the layoff lists -- whenever the info was given in the listing, it was always the ‘knowledge’ workers that are being layed off.

41. song_and_dance_man
    41 | November 9, 2012 8:31 pm

Macker wrote:

Who would take their place?

Who knows? But a bit of total discomfort for those who trust in Gov. in the next umpteen years when the Gov can’t deliver might wake up a whole new party.

42 | November 9, 2012 8:31 pm

@ Dolphin:

I’m not in a position to relocate, since I’m stuck with an underwater VA mortgage. You can’t do a short sale on a VA loan.

43. eaglesoars
    43 | November 9, 2012 8:31 pm

what about something like a gunsmith -- you know guns, right?

44 | November 9, 2012 8:34 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I don’t know what you’re physical condition is but is there any chance you could get into a trade training pgm — plumbing, electrician, etc.

32 years of military service has pretty much put an end to any ideas like that.

45. Dolphin
    45 | November 9, 2012 8:34 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Higher $$ workers -- IMHO.

46 | November 9, 2012 8:35 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

what about something like a gunsmith — you know guns, right?

I know several gunsmiths. They’re doing about as well as I am in this economy.

47. eaglesoars
    47 | November 9, 2012 8:35 pm

Dolphin wrote:

Higher $$ workers — IMHO.

good point.

48 | November 9, 2012 8:37 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

what about something like a gunsmith — you know guns, right?

I also suspect that I’m going to start having problems with my hands soon, too. The rest of my joints are already shot, so that’s probably next.

Kind of makes fine work like that a problem.

49. eaglesoars
    49 | November 9, 2012 8:38 pm

32 years of military service

WHOA!! Thank you for your service lobo.

I’m gonna keep thinking, tho.

50. Purre
    50 | November 9, 2012 8:46 pm

When I became unemployed with extremely poor prospects of getting employed in my own field, I decided to switch fields completely to pharmacy, as that field has less than 1% unemployment here in Finland. Also, with large number of people retiring, the amount of people graduating barely can fill the opening jobs. Of course I am able to do this, because of the program that pays two out of the three years this education takes (third year I need to find my own funding, but family helps, as well as the paid training included in the studies). Anyway, my point is, you could research options for switching fields to something that has better prospects even during hard times and if there’s for example ways to get training on the side of working… or something. Anyway, I wish you all the best for finding job (also I wish the same for rest of you who are unemployed on these forums).

51 | November 9, 2012 8:46 pm

@ eaglesoars:

If I hadn’t been screwed out of my active duty retirement, it wouldn’t be an issue. Once I start drawing it, I’ll be fine.

But since I was deliberately forced off of active duty 93 days prior to qualifying, I have to wait another 7 years before I’ll get anything.

Meanwhile, I can’t even get an inteview for a job paying half what I was making, because they see what I used to make.

52 | November 9, 2012 8:46 pm

The Osprey wrote:

Spanokopita for all!

you get my vote!

i loves me some spanokopita!

53. eaglesoars
    53 | November 9, 2012 8:46 pm

Laura Ingraham, subbing for O’Reilly, is going to have a report on the layoffs after the commercial break.

54. Dolphin
    54 | November 9, 2012 8:47 pm

Just trying help :)

Neighbor works for Anadarka and is actively recruiting me. They are desperate. I only have 4 more years where I am at to get full retirement benefits when I turn 62. I told neighbor that after 4 years I might consider making the move to Anadarka.

55 | November 9, 2012 8:47 pm

@ Purre:

i switched from management to medical (RN)

it can be done.

56. eaglesoars
    56 | November 9, 2012 8:49 pm

How is Mrs. CW?

I’m not even gonna ask about this morning.

57 | November 9, 2012 8:49 pm

ahhhh…the pain begins.

its gonna be harder on the producers at first, then the gimme gimme’s are gonna get hit hard when there is no fedfunds left.

58. Mars
    58 | November 9, 2012 8:50 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

what about something like a gunsmith — you know guns, right?

Kind of makes fine work like that a problem.

Wow, I cannot believe how much our situations are mirrored. I can’t relocate due to child custody issues. My disability prevents me from any physical jobs. There are no jobs to be had in my area. The ones I’m qualified for I don’t have experience, the ones I have experience for I’m not qualified. Plus I think there may be some age discrimination going on. (No one wants to hire a 42 year old for a entry level position.)

59 | November 9, 2012 8:50 pm

How is Mrs. CW?
    I’m not even gonna ask about this morning.

she is resting comfortably on the couch at home with a medicinal glass of Chianti.

the funeral mass this morning was, well….it was tough.

60. Purre
    60 | November 9, 2012 8:51 pm

Yeah. There’s lot of career switchers among my coursemates. I am also not the oldest, by far. Oldest I have met is about 50, I think, though most are 19 year old women (I am not complaining -- on the contrary ;) ).

61. Mars
    61 | November 9, 2012 8:52 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Another similarity. If they hadn’t forced me out when they did I was 15 days from the Klinton era early separation payout.

62. Dolphin
    62 | November 9, 2012 8:53 pm

@ The Osprey:
    Had to Google that and now my mouth is watering. Sounds yummy!

63. eaglesoars
    63 | November 9, 2012 8:53 pm

You should see some of the comments on the earlier threads -- there’s a lot of bitterness -- justified IMO -- and few of us care any longer about ‘the less fortunate’. They deserve to get what they voted for.

fuck ‘em

64 | November 9, 2012 8:54 pm

Try it at almost 52.

65. Dolphin
    65 | November 9, 2012 8:55 pm

@ Mars:
    Where are you at? General is OK.

66. eaglesoars
    66 | November 9, 2012 8:55 pm

At HOME!! ALREADY!!

Cheers, Mrs CW!

67. song_and_dance_man
    67 | November 9, 2012 8:55 pm

After a foreclosure, a divorce and bankruptcy in two short years I relocated to NM. Although I left high paying jobs I found a new homestead, a steady job(from which I will retire from) and success for my son who is now in college.

It was a hard transition, but it’s working out. This is what I meant up there where I said, hard times rock our comfort zone. It can be done, but with the transition comes humbling that we may not be able to live in the same place economically that we were formally accustomed to.

68. Mars
    68 | November 9, 2012 8:55 pm

I got my degree through GI Bill and Vocational rehab back in 2007. It has done me no good at all. I have my doubts I’m going to be able to convince voc rehab to help me get a paralegal certification.

I already tried to apply for the expanded benefits through VA voc rehab and was rejected because I wasn’t collecting unemployment.

69 | November 9, 2012 8:56 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

That clown she had on was from the Economic Policy Institute, which is a far-left labor think tank.

70 | November 9, 2012 8:58 pm

Mars wrote:

I had no GI Bill benefits, because of when I joined, so I have a pile of student loan debt for my useless degrees.

71 | November 9, 2012 8:58 pm

Purre wrote:

Yeah. There’s lot of career switchers among my coursemates. I am also not the oldest, by far. Oldest I have met is about 50, I think, though most are 19 year old women (I am not complaining — on the contrary ).

i was 41 when i started the course, there were two who were in their 50′s.

most were mid 20′s females in the rn course which is nice for the scenery. :lol:

72. eaglesoars
    72 | November 9, 2012 8:58 pm

I didn’t mind that part -- I found it odd she had no rep from the other end of the political spectrum. I think that gets laid at a producer’s feet.

73 | November 9, 2012 8:59 pm

Chris Matthews is a raging alcoholic.

74 | November 9, 2012 8:59 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

You should see some of the comments on the earlier threads — there’s a lot of bitterness — justified IMO — and few of us care any longer about ‘the less fortunate’. They deserve to get what they voted for.
    fuck ‘em

fuck ‘em.

everyone will have pain now. give the people what they want!

75. 75 | November 9, 2012 8:59 pm

Try it at almost 52.

I managed to do it. I work in a healthcare field, processing claims. Wish me well!

76. eaglesoars
    76 | November 9, 2012 9:00 pm

quick question -- can you rent out your house (which might allow you to relocate)? Or even a room (which would bring some money in)?

77 | November 9, 2012 9:00 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I didn’t mind that part — I found it odd she had no rep from the other end of the political spectrum. I think that gets laid at a producer’s feet.

O’Reilly tends to do that when he’s there, too. It’s frequently him and two liberals.

78. Mars
    78 | November 9, 2012 9:00 pm

Try it at almost 52.

I probably still will be.

Dolphin wrote:

@ Mars:
    Where are you at? General is OK.

Montana. There is nothing here. Especially if your skills are in Psychology and computers.

I could work a 7 dollar an hour job at a group home. Unfortunately my psychiatrist is pretty sure it would do me in in less than 6 months.

79. eaglesoars
    79 | November 9, 2012 9:01 pm

Speranza wrote:

Chris Matthews is a raging alcoholic.

I don’t think so. He’s diabetic, which would make alcoholism a bit dicey.

80. Mars
    80 | November 9, 2012 9:01 pm

Macker wrote:

Try it at almost 52.

I do. Hopefully all the plans to block the worst parts of O care keep it from taking full effect for all eternity.

81. eaglesoars
    81 | November 9, 2012 9:02 pm

Macker wrote:

I work in a healthcare field, processing claims.

There’s an idea -- and that can be done from home, right?

82. Mars
    82 | November 9, 2012 9:02 pm

Mars wrote:

Oh I’ve got those two. Ran out of GI Bill before I was done. So now I have 28,000 to pay off when I start getting income.

83 | November 9, 2012 9:02 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

quick question — can you rent out your house (which might allow you to relocate)? Or even a room (which would bring some money in)?

It would cost me a fortune to get this place in a condition where someone would want to rent it.

84. Mars
    84 | November 9, 2012 9:03 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Under my divorce agreement if either of us leave the area we essentially give up our rights.

85. song_and_dance_man
    85 | November 9, 2012 9:03 pm

You guys are old. Should we rename this blog to the Geezerocracy?

86 | November 9, 2012 9:03 pm

Macker wrote:
    I work in a healthcare field, processing claims.
    There’s an idea — and that can be done from home, right?

my ex made 4-5k a MONTH doing that.

87. Calo
    87 | November 9, 2012 9:04 pm

guns’n stuff type of job

88 | November 9, 2012 9:05 pm

Speranza wrote:
    Chris Matthews is a raging alcoholic.
    I don’t think so. He’s diabetic, which would make alcoholism a bit dicey.

nope.

i can have someone booze up 24-7 and still keep his sugars in line.

high insulin into the vein 24/7

89 | November 9, 2012 9:06 pm

@ Mars:

I used up my one year deferment when I was unemployed prior to going to Kuwait. Now that I’m back and unemployed again, I have to make payments, despite having no income.

I could stop paying (and my yet), but if I ever do find another job, they’ll just garnish my wages.

90 | November 9, 2012 9:06 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

You guys are old. Should we rename this blog to the Geezerocracy?

get off my lawn you!!!!

91. Dolphin
    91 | November 9, 2012 9:07 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    I am going through our budget this weekend. Already cutting loose step-son and his car insurance (several reasons, but #1 can no longer afford to carry him, #2 -- he voted for the -0-, time for a reality check, #3 he is almost 24yo.and relying on others to still carry him. Hubby is not going to like that I am considering cancelling the EZ tag (tolls) for him to get back and forth to work -- that is almost $80/month.
    Just had to plunk out $5000 for a new AC/heat unit for the house. I can live very frugal, but I won’t tolerate sacrifices unless everyone is on board. I will walk away for self preservation. May sound cold, but facts are cold and uncaring.

92 | November 9, 2012 9:07 pm

Macker wrote:
    I work in a healthcare field, processing claims.
    There’s an idea — and that can be done from home, right?

my ex made 4-5k a MONTH doing that.

A MONTH!!!

jeeze!

93 | November 9, 2012 9:08 pm

Dolphin wrote:

I am going through our budget this weekend. Already cutting loose step-son and his car insurance (several reasons, but #1 can no longer afford to carry him, #2 — he voted for the -0-, time for a reality check, #3 he is almost 24yo.and relying on others to still carry him. Hubby is not going to like that I am considering cancelling the EZ tag (tolls) for him to get back and forth to work — that is almost $80/month.

object lesson #1

I LOVE IT!!!

make him PAY!!!!

94. Calo
    94 | November 9, 2012 9:08 pm

phlebotomist is another option. Quick training.
    F/T employee status would include benefits too.

95. song_and_dance_man
    95 | November 9, 2012 9:08 pm

i was 41 when i started the course, there were two who were in their 50′s.

It’s never to late to start anew. Who in their right mind would leave a job and then get into a new field at 47. *raises hand*

96. eaglesoars
    96 | November 9, 2012 9:08 pm

i can have someone booze up 24-7 and still keep his sugars in line.
    high insulin into the vein 24/7

crimeny. What does that do to your body/how long can you keep that up?

97 | November 9, 2012 9:10 pm

Calo wrote:

phlebotomist is another option. Quick training.
    F/T employee status would include benefits too.

we are also SCREAMING for those cats

98 | November 9, 2012 9:11 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

i can have someone booze up 24-7 and still keep his sugars in line.
    high insulin into the vein 24/7
    crimeny. What does that do to your body/how long can you keep that up?

how tight do you want the sugar level monitoring? $$$

99. song_and_dance_man
    99 | November 9, 2012 9:11 pm

Macker wrote:

Hey, that’s great. Good to see you found a job.

100 | November 9, 2012 9:11 pm

@ Calo:

phlebotomist is another option.

Not for me it isn’t.

Trust me.

//Wouldn’t make it through the first day of training

101. Dolphin
    101 | November 9, 2012 9:12 pm

@ Mars:
    Sorry, can’t help you there. Will keep my ears open though.

102 | November 9, 2012 9:12 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

i was 41 when i started the course, there were two who were in their 50′s.

i got sent from an econ/stats/main line job in management in a field i worked in since i was 22 and went in a total different direction at 40.

it felt great to pull it off.

103 | November 9, 2012 9:13 pm

guns’n stuff type of job

That one’s actually interesting. Although I have no outside sales experience.

I’ll look into it, anyway. Thanks.

104. song_and_dance_man
    104 | November 9, 2012 9:13 pm

Mars wrote:

Messy divorces suck. My divorce was lean and clean. We were friends before and after and we are still friends.

105. livefreeor die
    105 | November 9, 2012 9:14 pm

Dolphin wrote:

object lesson #1

I LOVE IT!!!

make him PAY!!!!

That works for me! I was one of the bitter people this morning, trying to reconcile being a Christian with ennabling the Democratic party to encourage dependency. I appreciated people’s feedback. I’ll help out people going through catastrophes but I’m no longer going to contribute to charities that don’t encourage people working ultimately towards self sufficiency.

Along those lines, my liberal aunt and her home near the beach survived Sandy with only a power loss. My dad asked her if she had flood insurance. Of course not-she “can’t afford it”. She does go to Europe every year and just redid her kitchen, complete with stainless steel appliances and granite countertops. If her house had flooded, she would have expected the family to help her out. Would have had a nasty shock when she called us…

106. eaglesoars
    106 | November 9, 2012 9:14 pm

@ Calo:

phlebotomist is another option.

Not for me it isn’t.

Trust me.

//Wouldn’t make it through the first day of training

Yeah, but processing healthcare claims -- that might be do-able.

I seem to remember something about processing mortgage applications from home too -- altho that may have changed in the past 2 yrs.

107. Calo
    107 | November 9, 2012 9:15 pm

What??? You just stick people with a little ole needle and the nedle attached to the tubing goes into a lab tube.

No muss, no fuss.

It isn’t a dirty job at all. Just some blood you never touch.

108. Purre
    108 | November 9, 2012 9:16 pm

Sales techniques can be taught lot more easily than expertise and knowledge in the products. That’s why for example biotech companies hire biochemists and other biotech experts into sales jobs.

109. 109 | November 9, 2012 9:16 pm

Dolphin wrote:
    I think someone here is keeping track of layoffs “post election”.
    Hi Dolphin — someone at the blaze is tracking I believe..
    Very sorry about your cousin. Is this a union job?

A lot of Houston and New Orleans dock jobs ARE union. International Longshoreman’s Union. One thing about their union is is they allowed non-union part-timers to work at the docks. Great for students who were needed during the middle of the night. I made some money as a college student years ago tying up ships in New Orleans.

110 | November 9, 2012 9:17 pm

No muss, no fuss.

It isn’t a dirty job at all. Just some blood you never touch.

Not a chance.

111 | November 9, 2012 9:17 pm

@ livefreeor die:

teach a man to fish….

112 | November 9, 2012 9:18 pm

No muss, no fuss.
    It isn’t a dirty job at all. Just some blood you never touch.

just like bleeding a brake line

113 | November 9, 2012 9:19 pm

No muss, no fuss.
    It isn’t a dirty job at all. Just some blood you never touch.

Not a chance.

after the fist couple o gross outs medicine gets pretty routine

114 | November 9, 2012 9:20 pm

I hate needles.

115. eaglesoars
    115 | November 9, 2012 9:20 pm

@ livefreeor die:

teach a man to fish….

“Throw his ass overboard and watch him learn how to swim.”

by Dolphin.

heh

116. Mars
    116 | November 9, 2012 9:21 pm

@ Mars:

Through my originator I can defer up to three years for no job, then I can defer for low income. My next deferment is low income starting in about 3 months. I guess the rules are different state to state.

117. 117 | November 9, 2012 9:21 pm

Dolphin wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

I still haven’t been replaced at Schlumberger (field location, not Sugar Land). The problem they have is finding QUALIFIED people.

118. song_and_dance_man
    118 | November 9, 2012 9:21 pm

it felt great to pull it off.

I know the feeling. Getting along in a new field is satisfying when for all those former years we were trained for something else, and then BAM, here we are in the new.

119. eaglesoars
    119 | November 9, 2012 9:21 pm

I hate needles.

You can get desensitized quickly. I’ve done it. BUT -- with your hands, might not be a good choice.

120. song_and_dance_man
    120 | November 9, 2012 9:23 pm

teach a man to fish….

and he drinks all day in a boat.

121 | November 9, 2012 9:23 pm

I hate needles.

You can get desensitized quickly. I’ve done it. BUT — with your hands, might not be a good choice.

That too.

122. Mars
    122 | November 9, 2012 9:23 pm

Calo wrote:

phlebotomist is another option. Quick training.
    F/T employee status would include benefits too.

I tried that. Couldn’t do it or donate plasma due to my being in Germany during mad cow. I was in a restricted group. They can’t risk the possibility I might infect someone. (Though they still haven’t found a single trace of Kreutzfeld Jacob in my blood.)

123. Dolphin
    123 | November 9, 2012 9:24 pm

Well to be honest, my objective is not to make him pay (literally), it really is self preservation. The “side” affect is the bonus. ;)

124 | November 9, 2012 9:24 pm

I hate needles.

you aint gettin stuck with em

125 | November 9, 2012 9:24 pm

The petroleum landman biz pays quite well. Here are some examples of what a newbee makes. Hot areas now are PA, OH, ND, OK, CO, WY and TX.

126 | November 9, 2012 9:25 pm

@ Mars:

I completely forgot about that. I’m in the same category.

127 | November 9, 2012 9:26 pm

teach a man to fish….
    and he drinks all day in a boat.

BAM!!!

or on the beach!

128 | November 9, 2012 9:28 pm

Calo wrote:
    phlebotomist is another option. Quick training.
    F/T employee status would include benefits too.

mad cow exposure does not effect one’s ability to perform ANY medical job.

129. eaglesoars
    129 | November 9, 2012 9:28 pm

huckfunn wrote:

lemme guess -- all fracking states, yes?

130. livefreeor die
    130 | November 9, 2012 9:29 pm

teach a man to fish….
    and he drinks all day in a boat.

BAM!!!

or on the beach!

ANd then he drives his car off a bridge, lets a woman drown, and becomes Senator for life.
    Oh wait-I’m muddling themes.

131 | November 9, 2012 9:29 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

it felt great to pull it off.

and now i am getting sucked right back into management…

i dont know how i feel about that

132. Dolphin
    132 | November 9, 2012 9:29 pm

@ Peter:
    Not sure I understand your post -- please explain a little.

133 | November 9, 2012 9:29 pm

livefreeor die wrote:

teach a man to fish….
    and he drinks all day in a boat.
    BAM!!!
    or on the beach!

Oh wait-I’m muddling themes.

that’s from drinking ‘sex on the beach’ or sea breezes….

134. song_and_dance_man
    134 | November 9, 2012 9:30 pm

I hate needles.

Many times I have taken an inmate to medical to get blood drawn, and have to witness the incredulous. A grown man, that has been in the system for years, tatted from neck to ankle that cannot look at a needle going into his elbow fold.

hewwo?

135 | November 9, 2012 9:30 pm

huckfunn wrote:

lemme guess — all fracking states, yes?

The only state to ban fracing so far is Vermont to the best of my knowledge. I think NY has a moratorium.

136 | November 9, 2012 9:31 pm

huckfunn wrote:

lemme guess — all fracking states, yes?

mather frackers!

137. 137 | November 9, 2012 9:31 pm

@ livefreeor die:

I’m sure the Senator-for-Death is enjoying himself…until he has to go drown in the 1968 Oldsmobile, driving off that Chappaquiddick replica bridge!

138. livefreeor die
    138 | November 9, 2012 9:32 pm

So…
    Any good new Petraeus theories out there?

139. Calo
    139 | November 9, 2012 9:32 pm

Correct, it doesn’t.

140. livefreeor die
    140 | November 9, 2012 9:32 pm

@ Macker:

Every hour on the hour!

141. Mars
    141 | November 9, 2012 9:33 pm

Calo wrote:
    phlebotomist is another option. Quick training.
    F/T employee status would include benefits too.

mad cow exposure does not effect one’s ability to perform ANY medical job.

It did at the company I asked at.

142. song_and_dance_man
    142 | November 9, 2012 9:34 pm

heh

143. 143 | November 9, 2012 9:34 pm

@ livefreeor die:

That’s if the Demons ran Hell! Which they do for real. The Toasters, on the other hand…happens only once per day. “Mercy,” you understand.
    [Plunks down 10,000 Quatloos to The Osprey]

144 | November 9, 2012 9:35 pm

livefreeor die wrote:

So…
    Any good new Petraeus theories out there?

No, but I just heard a bad one. Mrs. Funn said the FBI was first alerted to some hanky-panky when they saw repeated emails from Petraeus with references to “under the desk”. Seriously.

145. gibsonz
    145 | November 9, 2012 9:35 pm

Delving deep into the family historical archives I have come upon a rather strange and bewildering message from Grandpa Gibson from 1832…”That Obama fella is TOTALLY full of shit and is not to be trusted!”…Hmmm, I can only assume from this discovery that Grandpa Gibson had great foresight or a Ouija Board that actually worked!

146. Mars
    146 | November 9, 2012 9:36 pm

huckfunn wrote:
    lemme guess — all fracking states, yes?

mather frackers!

Wyoming has oil shale and natural gas work going on. MT has the same ability, but our previous (with the help of our new) governor has managed to put rules and allow lawsuits by his enviro friends, to make sure nothing will every happen.

147. song_and_dance_man
    147 | November 9, 2012 9:37 pm

mad cow exposure does not effect one’s ability to perform ANY medical job.

What if you had to milk them?

148. Mars
    148 | November 9, 2012 9:37 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    whoops Cruetzfeld Jakob.

149 | November 9, 2012 9:38 pm

Calo wrote:
    phlebotomist is another option. Quick training.
    F/T employee status would include benefits too.
    mad cow exposure does not effect one’s ability to perform ANY medical job.

It did at the company I asked at.

you cant donate.

150 | November 9, 2012 9:38 pm

mather frackers!

Vermont, the only state to ban fracing, and of course they know so much about oil & gas. Here are all of the wells that have been drilled in Vermont. Total historical oil and gas production from Vermont = squat.

151. Calo
    151 | November 9, 2012 9:38 pm

@ Mars:
    Another healthcare job always in demand -- though more training time needed than a phlebotomist.

radiologist tech

152 | November 9, 2012 9:39 pm

gibsonz wrote:

my wife wept at you message from yesterday about your wife. really brought home how lucky we are.

thanks for sharing.

153. eaglesoars
    153 | November 9, 2012 9:39 pm

I hate to say if but Dr K is off the rails

He’s saying the young are usually liberal and become more conservative as they get older and acquire a mortgage and 2 kids.

Guess what? They’re not going to be able to afford a mortgage and they probably won’t be getting married at the rate they are now because they’ll have POS jobs -- so forget the kids too

154. song_and_dance_man
    154 | November 9, 2012 9:39 pm

dont know how i feel about that

I don’t know about the medical field, but I have resisted the calls for my advancement into management for one reason. There is no chance for OT pay.

155 | November 9, 2012 9:41 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

mad cow exposure does not effect one’s ability to perform ANY medical job.
    What if you had to milk them?

MOOOO!!!!!

156. eaglesoars
    156 | November 9, 2012 9:42 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Total historical oil and gas production from Vermont = squat.

yeah, but they’re good at milk, cheese and maple syrup!

Their major gas producer is Bernie Sanders

157 | November 9, 2012 9:42 pm

@ Mars:
    Another healthcare job always in demand — though more training time needed than a phlebotomist.
    radiologist tech

our techs have all the OT they can eat

158 | November 9, 2012 9:42 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Guess what? They’re not going to be able to afford a mortgage and they probably won’t be getting married at the rate they are now because they’ll have POS jobs — so forget the kids too

That right, but they’ll still have the 2 kids while camped out in Mom & Dad’s basement. Ain’t life grand?

159. livefreeor die
    159 | November 9, 2012 9:43 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    No, they’ll want a subsidized mortgage that they can just up and refuse to pay eventually or get it reduced and they’ll have the spouse and kids anyway because they want to and it just feels right. Who cares if they can really afford it…somoeone else will pay…wheeeeeee!

160 | November 9, 2012 9:44 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

yeah, but they’re good at milk, cheese and maple syrup!

Their major gas producer is Bernie Sanders

Frac Bernie Sanders. :evil:

161. song_and_dance_man
    161 | November 9, 2012 9:44 pm

livefreeor die wrote:

So…
    Any good new Petraeus theories out there?

None that I know of other than he decided to board the first life boat off a sinking ship.

162. livefreeor die
    162 | November 9, 2012 9:45 pm

livefreeor die wrote:

So…
    Any good new Petraeus theories out there?

Cue the Celine Dion…

163. Calo
    163 | November 9, 2012 9:46 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    Heh, it’s the same in the medical field.

164 | November 9, 2012 9:46 pm

I was thinking tonight that Obama is probably going to graft the rest of the country into giving more to the teachers union.

165. eaglesoars
    165 | November 9, 2012 9:47 pm

livefreeor die wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

Can’t remember who to credit for this but…….

If something can’t continue -- it won’t.

Or to quote Mark Steyn

There’s nothing holding the joint up.

166 | November 9, 2012 9:47 pm

dont know how i feel about that

our hospital system is reorganizing and looking for efficiency experts. i just came out of ups/fedex and already have the advanced degrees and results to back me up.

i would make far more doing that than working OT. but….i hate rolling back into what i just left.

167 | November 9, 2012 9:48 pm

livefreeor die wrote:

Exactly

168. Purre
    168 | November 9, 2012 9:50 pm

livefreeor die wrote:
    So…
    Any good new Petraeus theories out there?

Life boat. That’s not something woman should be called. Though as far as I remember news did not say anything about the gender… hmm…

*Invents crackpot theory about Michelle finding Barry and Petraeus together on the night of Benghazi attack.*

;)

169 | November 9, 2012 9:51 pm

huckfunn wrote:

mather frackers!

Sounds like when Berkeley passed a resolution making the city a nuclear-free zone.

I’m pretty sure it’s a polar bear-free zone, too.

170 | November 9, 2012 9:55 pm

Former Spook writes.

And of course, the White House derives one more benefit from Petraeus’s departure. Just hours after his resignation was announced, the Administration revealed that the former director will not testify during Congressional hearings on Benghazi next week. With a key player unavailable, it becomes that much more difficult to determine what happened when our consulate was attacked. We can only wonder if Representative Mike Rogers (chairman of the House Intelligence Committee) would pursue a Congressional subpoena to compel Petraeus to appear. But with the GOP licking its wounds after Tuesday’s elections--and new demands for bi-partisanship--the White House is betting that Rogers won’t press the issue. So, valuable testimony will be lost as Congress tries to get to the bottom of Benghazi.

171. song_and_dance_man
    171 | November 9, 2012 9:56 pm

huckfunn wrote:

It will be OK for some whose ambition is to get out of the basement. For those fine folk who worked hard and have leeches, not so much.

172 | November 9, 2012 9:58 pm

I’m pretty sure it’s a polar bear-free zone, too.

:idea: I’m gonna smuggle some nuclear polar bears into Berserkley.

173. mawskrat
    173 | November 9, 2012 9:58 pm

there will be no riots…..this is scary

New York officials reportedly consider closed prison for displaced Sandy victims

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/09/new-york-officials-reportedly-consider-closed-prison-for-displaced-sandy/?test=latestnews#ixzz2BmiWdblw

174 | November 9, 2012 9:58 pm

@ Purre:

by the way purre, i always admired that avatar of yours.

some days we NEED to be that penguin!

175 | November 9, 2012 9:59 pm

mawskrat wrote:

there will be no riots…..this is scary

a potato for you , comrade, now enter the gulag.

176 | November 9, 2012 10:00 pm

huckfunn wrote:

then they raised their kids poorly.

MAKE THEM PAY!

177. Mars
    177 | November 9, 2012 10:00 pm

radiologist tech

I’ve actually really thought about that. but, I can’t afford the training and I’m not sure Voc rehab would approve it. I think I’m pushing my luck with asking for Paralegal.

178. song_and_dance_man
    178 | November 9, 2012 10:01 pm

I took a job as an ‘efficiency expert’ for a short time with UPS. It was at the Soto Hub in LA. I reported mis-routing and bad sorting. It was boring, but paid well. After the problems were fixed my consulting was done and it was on to the next trivial thing.

179. 179 | November 9, 2012 10:02 pm

Good evening…

180. eaglesoars
    180 | November 9, 2012 10:03 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

I would LOVE that kind of job. Systems analysis -- yum!!

181. livefreeor die
    181 | November 9, 2012 10:05 pm

Hola!

182. 182 | November 9, 2012 10:06 pm

Ok, so I’m looking for a job as a professional beer taster… :twisted:

183. 183 | November 9, 2012 10:06 pm

livefreeor die wrote:

Hola!

Hola to you to… :grin:

184 | November 9, 2012 10:06 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

i used to go to buildings in the fedex system that were underperforming. i was at one time said to be the most hated man in the field at that company.

then i got to stay at my home base, make it run great and just before i got vested, stock, 4 weeks vaca and an expense account….

the highest paid manager is the first to go. i agree.

i learned a lot and can take that knowledge and make a ton with it later in the medical field. no knowledge should be wasted.

185 | November 9, 2012 10:07 pm

doriangrey wrote:

Ok, so I’m looking for a job as a professional beer taster…

uc davis has a beer meister course dont they?

186. 186 | November 9, 2012 10:09 pm

no knowledge should be wasted.

Oh boulder puckey… Knowledge was invent solely to be wasted… Information just wants to be free doncha know… :twisted:

187 | November 9, 2012 10:09 pm

Good evening…

ha!
    i told mrs coldwarrior about what you said about the xc90′s frame…she isnt on the fence any more!

188. eaglesoars
    188 | November 9, 2012 10:09 pm

hey CW -- I’m on an ‘as needed’ pain med = #3 tablet of acetaminophen-codeine

How much codeine am I actually taking? Put it this way -- I ain’t driving and I didn’t need the warning labels to tell me ‘no booze’.

189 | November 9, 2012 10:10 pm

doriangrey wrote:

no knowledge should be wasted.

info comes from the proper application of knowledge.

190. livefreeor die
    190 | November 9, 2012 10:10 pm

I’m going to call it a night and try to catch up on my sleep.
    Wow, this week was bad…

191. Calo
    191 | November 9, 2012 10:11 pm

@ Mars:
    Keep pushing your luck Mars. The squeaky wheel always gets the oil or in Dorian’s case, the beer.

192. eaglesoars
    192 | November 9, 2012 10:11 pm

Guiliani on Greta -- “This isn’t about an affair”

sic ‘em Rudy!

193. Mars
    193 | November 9, 2012 10:11 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

I would LOVE that kind of job. Systems analysis — yum!!

Me too.

I’ve been trying like hell to get a job here in town as a software tester. I’m pissed that I keep missing out. (Oh I forgot earlier I didn’t just have one interview. The software company has given me two interviews. And I got one at Mental Health. So four interviews total. KENCO was the other one.)

194. song_and_dance_man
    194 | November 9, 2012 10:12 pm

@ Purre:
    That he maned up to an affair was the right thing to do. That it would have disqualified him in this day and age may have been insignificant. Sad, but true.

I think he bailed for reasons he can only answer, but if you ask me, ti was to dis-associate himself from what is coming in regards to a lapse in this admins NS.

195. 195 | November 9, 2012 10:13 pm

doriangrey wrote:
    Ok, so I’m looking for a job as a professional beer taster…

uc davis has a beer meister course dont they?

Think about that for a couple of seconds… Would you really want to drink a beer brewed by somebody who got their degree in beer brewing in Sacramento?

196. Purre
    196 | November 9, 2012 10:13 pm

I once had a nice talk over a dinner with woman who worked in the quality control of the brewery. The dinner was in the evening of the day when friend of mine defended his PhD thesis successfully and was held to the honor of his opponent (old traditions and all). Anyway, she had been there as well to watch the event and over the dinner she commented that it was strange for her to drink her first alcohol that late in the day. After all, taste of the product can be tested only one way ;) .

197 | November 9, 2012 10:13 pm

hey CW — I’m on an ‘as needed’ pain med = #3 tablet of acetaminophen-codeine
    How much codeine am I actually taking? Put it this way — I ain’t driving and I didn’t need the warning labels to tell me ‘no booze’.

tylenol 3

30mg.

pretty standard stuff

be far more careful of the amount of acetaminophen you are taking in those pills

198. 198 | November 9, 2012 10:13 pm

Good evening…

Long Live hemp!

:wink:

199 | November 9, 2012 10:14 pm

Good evening…

Is that your Alfred Hitchock imitation?

200. Mars
    200 | November 9, 2012 10:15 pm

@ Mars:

The job that I most wanted was also the one that vocational testing showed I was the most qualified for.

Vocational testing, lol. The guy running my test was not happy or amused. (He was about 70 and not wanting to retire.)

201. eaglesoars
    201 | November 9, 2012 10:15 pm

I’m pissed that I keep missing out

Have you asked for an audition? Seriously.

I was always team lead so I got final say on new hires. Everybody got a problem to solve/analyze. 30 mins plus interview.

202. Calo
    202 | November 9, 2012 10:15 pm

30 mg of codeine.

It’s the Tylenol and alcohol that don’t mix if that’s your question.

203. Purre
    203 | November 9, 2012 10:15 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    To be more serious, yeah, I agree with you. I just felt a bit cheeky this early in the morning (it is 5:14 here).

204 | November 9, 2012 10:16 pm

doriangrey wrote:
    Ok, so I’m looking for a job as a professional beer taster…
    uc davis has a beer meister course dont they?

if it were you? no.

i am not a hop head.

but

there are plenty of hop heads who would love what you make.

205. eaglesoars
    205 | November 9, 2012 10:16 pm

Calo wrote:

It’s the Tylenol and alcohol that don’t mix if that’s your question.

Doesn’t matter what the ‘don’t mix’ combo is -- no way would I add booze to this mix -- I’d fall down the stairs.

206. 206 | November 9, 2012 10:17 pm

Good evening…

ha!

Show her this…

207. Mars
    207 | November 9, 2012 10:19 pm

I’m pissed that I keep missing out
    Have you asked for an audition? Seriously.

Yeah, I’ve tried that. They are too hung up on the fact I don’t have any programming experience. Though I do have a lot of experience with software in almost every imaginable situation.

I have training in hardware, software, networking (not too good at that though), education, lecturing, auditing, disability case work, emotionally disabled youth wrangling/teaching, low level management.

I’ve had a headache for 6 days now. Really considering a doctors visit. Known I had migraines for 20 or more years now, just never bothered to talk to a doctor. Might be time.

208. song_and_dance_man
    208 | November 9, 2012 10:19 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

I would LOVE that kind of job. Systems analysis — yum!!

it was contract work and only lasted a few months.

The things that were not reported, because I wasn’t hired to do that, was the theft and total disregard for how the packages were handled.

209. 209 | November 9, 2012 10:20 pm

Good evening…

Long Live hemp!

We’re gonna need more rope…

210 | November 9, 2012 10:21 pm

for.

I’d hate to see what vocational testing said I should do.

211. 211 | November 9, 2012 10:21 pm

doriangrey wrote:
    Ok, so I’m looking for a job as a professional beer taster…
    uc davis has a beer meister course dont they?

if it were you? no.
    i am not a hop head.
    but
    there are plenty of hop heads who would love what you make.

Oh hey, that reminds me, can you shoot me a email with your bacon Martini receipt in it?

212. 212 | November 9, 2012 10:23 pm

213. eaglesoars
    213 | November 9, 2012 10:24 pm

They are too hung up on the fact I don’t have any programming experience

That’s very short-sighted. I can teach someone to write code -- maybe not great code -- but servicable.

Can’t teach ‘em how to think.

214 | November 9, 2012 10:24 pm

Good evening…
    ha!

Show her this…

she is now a bigger fan and reading that doc on her laptop

215. 215 | November 9, 2012 10:24 pm

doriangrey wrote:
    Ok, so I’m looking for a job as a professional beer taster…
    uc davis has a beer meister course dont they?

if it were you? no.
    i am not a hop head.
    but
    there are plenty of hop heads who would love what you make.

ROTFLMAO… Just wait till they legalize pot in California… Then I think I will start brewing Pothead Beer… BWAHAHAHAHAH….

216 | November 9, 2012 10:26 pm

nope.

it still isnt right.

217 | November 9, 2012 10:26 pm

why laugh.

sounds like a winner

218. 218 | November 9, 2012 10:27 pm

why laugh.
    sounds like a winner

Because I am anti-pot… BWAHAHAHAH….

219. 219 | November 9, 2012 10:28 pm

nope.
    it still isnt right.

Well, hurry up and perfect it, I need Sunday… :shock:

220. eaglesoars
    220 | November 9, 2012 10:29 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Was it the packages that were being stolen? Seems to me if there’s enough of that, the business suffers. I thought the tracking systems were fairly good

??

221. Daffy Duck
    221 | November 9, 2012 10:30 pm

@ Mars:
    6 day headache? You spend a lot of time indoors? Check for carbon monoxide from furnace…

222. 222 | November 9, 2012 10:31 pm

Well, it took 4 years to hit 25,000 page views on my blog, and it’s taken 4 months to go from 25,000 to 50,000. Hmmm, maybe if I do something right here I can turn this into a paying gig… :oops:

223. Mars
    223 | November 9, 2012 10:32 pm

They are too hung up on the fact I don’t have any programming experience
    That’s very short-sighted. I can teach someone to write code — maybe not great code — but servicable.
    Can’t teach ‘em how to think.

Lol, that’s my primary skill.

I don’t know. I wish I had kept up my fiction writing. I found a great site online that specializes in flash fiction. If I didn’t have so much rust on my brain I could be pumping out e-novellas that sell for 99 cents each. Not huge money but it does add up. They’ve got a pretty solid customer base. From what I read I actually get the entire profit because they profit by their per click advertising.

Problem is not a single thing I write anymore gets past my inner critic. (Except for the things I write here, and most of them are stream of consciousness type writings.)

224. Mars
    224 | November 9, 2012 10:34 pm

Daffy Duck wrote:

@ Mars:

No one else is having the problem. But, I think I’ll grab one of my dads carbon monoxide detectors and see what happens.

Main problem seems to be the air pressure. Also having bad light sensitivity.

225. Purre
    225 | November 9, 2012 10:35 pm

On another topic… I would love to have this sort of t-shirt. Maybe I should go and have one printed.

226. song_and_dance_man
    226 | November 9, 2012 10:36 pm

doriangrey wrote:

Ok, so I’m looking for a job as a professional beer taster…

We should join forces and market a beer called Skid Row.

227. Mars
    227 | November 9, 2012 10:36 pm

doriangrey wrote:

I’m thinking of maybe taking part of my tax return and buying webspace and a domain. Starting my own cigar review site with click through advertising. Just see what happens. Not sure if it will work out though.

I know I’ve got a couple companies that would advertise with me.

228. Daffy Duck
    228 | November 9, 2012 10:37 pm

You will probably soon need a ban stick!

Start practicing how to bid your viewers Adeiu.

229. song_and_dance_man
    229 | November 9, 2012 10:39 pm

doriangrey wrote:

this one is obviously not trained or ready yet for a sekret

230. eaglesoars
    230 | November 9, 2012 10:42 pm

If I didn’t have so much rust on my brain

Scrub it off with more writing. It would take me a while to start writing code I would want anyone to see again, but you won’t get there w/o the simple act of doing it.

May I ask what the website is? I might try my hand at it.

231. song_and_dance_man
    231 | November 9, 2012 10:43 pm

Mars wrote:

The software company has given me two interviews.

You got to dazzle them with the first. It’s not that I want the job, it’s more that you need for this job. But put forward with more subtle language.

232. song_and_dance_man
    232 | November 9, 2012 10:48 pm

Long Live hemp!

Now that was funny

233. Mars
    233 | November 9, 2012 10:53 pm

Mars wrote:
    The software company has given me two interviews.

Pretty sure I did. Both interviews were first interviews though. About a year apart.

I may have some of the facts wrong, it’s been a couple weeks since I read the site.

If I didn’t have so much rust on my brain
    May I ask what the website is? I might try my hand at it.

234. Daffy Duck
    234 | November 9, 2012 10:54 pm

@ Mars:
    Well, CO is the first thing that crossed my mind. Low level ppm may affect you, but not anyone else. If headache stays withyou whether home or away, then you should probably get Dr advice. If head clears when you’re outside or away from home, then CO is possible culprit.

235. Mars
    235 | November 9, 2012 10:55 pm

I’ve actually had my interview skills tested through vocational testing, training, etc.

Not only did they say my resume and interview skills were perfect, they actually turned the interview class over to me to instruct.

236. 236 | November 9, 2012 10:56 pm

Dolphin wrote:
    One thing I noticed reading thru the layoff lists — whenever the info was given in the listing, it was always the ‘knowledge’ workers that are being layed off.

Exactly.

And they’re always talking about training the next set of ‘em to run up college debt and never get a job in that field.

Screw it.

237. Mars
    237 | November 9, 2012 10:58 pm

Daffy Duck wrote:

@ Mars:

Yeah, it has stayed with me on several trips around town this week. And the sunlight was about crippling. Glad I wasn’t driving.

238. song_and_dance_man
    238 | November 9, 2012 11:02 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

More complicated. If a package loses its tagging it’s hauled off and stored for reclamation. These unclaimed items were stuffed into trailers. I have no idea what happened to them, but I do know there were weekly raffles where unclaimed merchandise, items that were lost in the mix, were given to the workers based on this weekly draw. And I suspect the workers were in on the gaming. I never saw anyone tear off a tag, but I did see many items being shuffled to this place.

That as least was my experience with a short lived gig with UPS.

239. eaglesoars
    239 | November 9, 2012 11:04 pm

1389AD wrote:

The last corporation I worked for had to ‘downsize’ -- but they didn’t actually eliminate any positions. First they got rid of all the consultants -- which left us seriously short-handed -- then layed most of the higher-paid employees (i was one of 2 that survived -- I was the only one with the business AND the systems knowledge) -- and they filled those positions with low-wage employees -- almost all entry level and/or foreign H1/B1 people. I was working 70 hrs/wk just training people.

The institutional knowledge that was wiped out was incredible.

240. eaglesoars
    240 | November 9, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks!

241. 241 | November 9, 2012 11:08 pm

Daffy Duck wrote:

@ Mars:

Main problem seems to be the air pressure. Also having bad light sensitivity.

check your blood pressure

242. eaglesoars
    242 | November 9, 2012 11:08 pm

If a package loses its tagging it’s hauled off and stored for reclamation

Wow. Remind me to never send an uninsured pkg.

243. Mars
    243 | November 9, 2012 11:14 pm

father_of_10 wrote:

Daffy Duck wrote:
    @ Mars:
    Main problem seems to be the air pressure. Also having bad light sensitivity.

check your blood pressure

I have. Absolutely perfect. Has been for a couple years now. (Which is weird considering my weight.)

244. Daffy Duck
    244 | November 9, 2012 11:22 pm

If a package loses its tagging it’s hauled off and stored for reclamation

Wow. Remind me to never send an uninsured pkg.

Heh. I was wondering if insured and/or declared value packages were more likely to “loose” their tags.

But, I am a cynic.

245. Daffy Duck
    245 | November 9, 2012 11:26 pm

@ Daffy Duck:
    Because nothing says “steal me” like a price tag, and nothing says “smash me with a forktruck” like multiple FRAGILE stickers.

246. eaglesoars
    246 | November 9, 2012 11:28 pm

Daffy Duck wrote:

It certainly seems as tho’ the system is badly incentive-ized, doesn’t it?

247. 247 | November 9, 2012 11:30 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:
    i was 41 when i started the course, there were two who were in their 50′s.

it felt great to pull it off.

I am 59 and am looking for a job selling cars.

248. eaglesoars
    248 | November 9, 2012 11:40 pm

sleepy. nite.

249. Calo
    249 | November 9, 2012 11:45 pm

nite eaglesoars.

sleep well.

250. Mars
    250 | November 9, 2012 11:46 pm

Tried selling cars. Didn’t work. I would however, like a job selling cigars. (at least till my state and the FDA get done banning them).

251. Calo
    251 | November 9, 2012 11:47 pm

@ 1389AD:
    1389,

You have been in retail for how long now?
    Two years, I think.

Have you thought about applying elsewhere for a management position in the retail industry?

It seems to be an easier transition to make than car sales.