Proposed Solutions For The Right Side Of Things.

by Flyovercountry ( 45 Comments › )
Filed under Elections 2012, Republican Party, Special Report, The Political Right at November 9th, 2012 - 5:00 pm

Political Cartoons by Michael Ramirez

Two days ago I wrote an essay outlining my analysis of the November 6th continuing disaster for our nation. Today, I am going to speak of my view of what we should do about it. First, let’s not over react. Conservatism still wins elections, but only when it is genuine, and genuinely believed. There is an odd statistic concerning this years election, and that is the number of Republicans who just stayed home, did not feel as though they should be bothered with the task of voting. If our side had voted in the same numbers as they historically have, Mitt Romney would be President Elect at this moment. While he would have been a tremendous leader, and just what our country needed, he and the rest of the Republican Establishment did not do a sufficient job of convincing even our side of the aisle of that fact.

On Monday, and bear in mind that I was a Romney volunteer who donated financially to his campaign, I had coffee with a long time friend who has been a life long registered Republican. He went for that whole, “hope and change,” stupidity in 2008, and while he was dead set against voting for Obama this year, he was not yet sold on Mitt Romney. I have not yet had the chance to debrief with him, but judging by the odd turnout in this year’s contest, I would say that he simply stayed home on election day.

In his usual spot on analysis, Charles Krauthammer has hit another home run.

The country doesn’t need two liberal parties. Yes, Republicans need to weed out candidates who talk like morons about rape. But this doesn’t mean the country needs two pro-choice parties either. In fact, more women are pro-life than are pro-choice. The problem here for Republicans is not policy but delicacy — speaking about culturally sensitive and philosophically complex issues with reflection and prudence.
Additionally, warn the doomsayers, Republicans must change not just ethnically, but also ideologically. Back to the center. Moderation above all!
More nonsense. Tuesday’s exit polls showed that by an eight-point margin (51-43), Americans believe that government does too much. And Republicans are the party of smaller government. Moreover, onrushing economic exigencies — crushing debt, unsustainable entitlements — will make the argument for smaller government increasingly unassailable.

The Republican party does not need to moderate in order to sound even more like the Democrats. Given a choice between liberal and liberal lite, the voting public will choose the real thing each and every time. While we can whine and obsess over the split of sore loser third party types, who will insist upon splitting our vote whenever they fail to win in our primaries, (Gary Johnson and Ron Paul,) these idiots are a fact of life that will not be going away at any time in the future. If we believe ourselves to be the side of smaller and less intrusive government, then we need to put candidates forward who are not only articulate in stating that position, but who actually feel passionately that this is what’s best for our nation. While I do believe that Mitt Romney was a solid candidate, and would have liked to see him as our President, I also recognize that he came across as a man for whom Conservatism was a second language. This was most especially noticeable in the last two weeks before the election. When Diane Sawyer, the true definition of a bubble headed dolt made exclusively for television reporting notices that in the third debate, Mitt Romney sounded more like George McGovern than Ronald Reagan, then it ought to be pretty obvious to all of us that either the man was moderating to the middle in order to pander for votes or those were his actual beliefs. The result of course was just exactly what I have described, not a single person who had a predilection for voting as a liberal switched, but plenty of conservatives stayed home.

We need to vet our own candidates, and not through some conservative purity test based on what ever we feel are our own singular pet issues, but for honest to God competence. Todd Aiken and Richard Mourdock lost their elections, not because they were not conservative enough, but because they were, and remain true morons. I am not going to get into the whole abortion versus right to life discussion here, that is not my purpose. But when an absurd hypothetical is thrown at a candidate for the pure purposes of playing gotcha, and there is not a human being alive today who should doubt that it is coming, what on Earth is so hard about saying the following? “While pregnancy that results from rape or incest would be terrible indeed, it is not the baby’s fault for this circumstance, and that in my opinion, the protection of innocent life triumphs the admittedly unfortunate circumstance of the mother of that child.” Aiken’s statement of, “legitimate rape and stated belief that a woman’s body would simply miscarry the resultant pregnancy out of God’s will,” was simply too bizarre for words to express. He lost because he is an incredibly stupid man, and that little fact should have been known by those who voted in the primary, prior to his winning the nomination.

I am tired of people who claim that positions should be taken for the sole purpose of winning elections. We, or at least I believed this prior, are a group who vote honestly based on the beliefs we hold dear. I do not care if fiscal responsibility is a winning campaign issue, it is the right thing to do. I could care less if a strong national defense and projecting our strength around the globe is popular at the moment, it is what is the right thing for our nation and the world, and that will not change. I am not at all interested if free market economics are viewed as a superior model for our nation to follow and the mistaken belief that Keynesian economic theory is more popular today due to a national press corps who is more interested is swaying public opinion than in honestly reporting the news. What I am interested in however is the fact that I am right in my beliefs that free markets are the only tool that has repeatedly improved the living standards of the ordinary citizen, no matter where on our planet that he has lived. We need to stick to our guns, articulate our beliefs clearly, and not change them.

When you look at the actual voting numbers of this election, it was again a very close election, almost a statistical tie, or at the very least, a razor thin model. I am not saying that we should all be waiting for the ghost of Reagan to swoop down and save us, just that we need to put in a little thought about who we nominate on the front end, and quit taking advice from our adversaries.

I’ll say it now though, as I promised full support of Mitt Romney once he secured the nomination. Newt Gingrich would have won this general election.

Cross Posted from Musings of a Mad Conservative.

Tags:

Comments

45 Responses to “Proposed Solutions For The Right Side Of Things.”

1. Lily
    1 | November 9, 2012 5:51 pm

Not to go off topic so soon..(sorry) but the General’s resigning today many people said it will not prevent him from testifying ….
    Wrong.

BREAKING: CIA Director Petraeus Resigns – Update: Will No Longer Testify In Front Of Congress During Next Week’s Hearing…

2 | November 9, 2012 5:55 pm

The electoral system is broken. As long as we allow open primary elections and same day voter registration nothing will change. Repairing the electoral system has to be our number one job. Without that everything else is nothing more than rearranging the deckchairs in the Titanic. :evil:

3. Tanker
    3 | November 9, 2012 5:59 pm

“Newt Gingrich would have won this general election”

He would have really brought the base out, so I too feel this way!

4. Lily
    4 | November 9, 2012 6:00 pm

Excellent post Fly-over-country…but Newt would have turned many off.
    I don’t know what happened other than people were stuck on teaching a lesson, or still thought our country was racist, believed obama cares…wanted more free things. Romney ran on fiscal responsibility and pride in ones country…WOW that is too radical …he ran a good campaign and now the media is crying what a negative campaign he ran. Really I think that was obama.
    I agree with Rodan obama could kill a baby on live TV and the media would have said how nicely he did it and the people would have agreed.
    How in the hell do you counteract that? Hell if I know.

5. Lily
    5 | November 9, 2012 6:04 pm

@ Tanker:

I honestly don’t think so..look Romney was squeaky clean yet they protrayed him AS EVIL..PUTTING PEOPLE BACK IN CHAINS…THROWING GRANDMA OFF THE CLIFF…just imagine what they would have done to Newt. No one was listening or cared about anything the Republicans said and refused to believe all the scandals surrounding obama…remember they voted for obama because *he cares*!

6. 6 | November 9, 2012 6:05 pm

Newt would have gone up against the same machine Romney did, but with less ammunition. Newt had skeletons in his closet and was lacking the character qualities Romney has. On the other, a little of 50% of America reviles true character and morals anyway.

7. eaglesoars
    7 | November 9, 2012 6:06 pm

I am afraid the Tea Party -- which I support financially -- has done itself no favors. 2 Senate seats were blown in 2010 and I believe both Aiken and Murdoch were TP picks.

Paul Broadwell, Patraeus’ biographer, is the other woman’.

8. eaglesoars
    8 | November 9, 2012 6:08 pm

father_of_10 wrote:

Doesn’t matter how much ammo you have if you refuse to fire.

I’m not certain Newt would have won, but I’m damn sure there would have been KIA on the other side.

9. ThreeHundred
    9 | November 9, 2012 6:09 pm

I agree with Fly, we should not twist ourselves into something we are not.

10 | November 9, 2012 6:19 pm

@ Lily:

How in the hell do you counteract that? Hell if I know

They would just claim that it was a very late term abortion
    and that BHO just honored the wishes of the mother.

11. Tanker
    11 | November 9, 2012 6:20 pm

@ Lily:
    I don’t disagree with you often, but we will have to agree to disagree on this.

Newt knew how to handle the press and would fight every lie thrown at him. Something Mitt failed to do too many times.

IMHO which means nothing at this point though! 8)

12. eaglesoars
    12 | November 9, 2012 6:22 pm

Fly, I agree that we shouldn’t try to be something we’re not just to win elections -- that never works -- unless you’re Obama -- but the challenge of pursuading the electorate remains.

If the majority isn’t interested in what we know is right and good, what’s Plan B?

13. Mars
    13 | November 9, 2012 6:23 pm

How hard is this to say: “I have my own personal views on this. However, as President it is not my duty to make law. These decisions are the decisions of the people and their elected officials. I will sign bills that honor the will of the people.”

14. Lily
    14 | November 9, 2012 6:23 pm

@ Tanker:

:) That’s okay there is a good chance I’m wrong. :)

15. Mars
    15 | November 9, 2012 6:24 pm

@ Lily:
    How in the hell do you counteract that? Hell if I know
    They would just claim that it was a very late term abortion
    and that BHO just honored the wishes of the mother.

You severely underestimate the absolute disdain, dislike, and even hatred the independents have for Newt. They sucked up the evil Newt narrative that the press fed them.

We would have lost by a much larger margin. Judging by reactions I saw during the primary, he would have even lost here in MT.

16. Lily
    16 | November 9, 2012 6:25 pm

@ Lily:

How in the hell do you counteract that? Hell if I know

They would just claim that it was a very late term abortion
    and that BHO just honored the wishes of the mother.

Oh indeed. I have never, ever seen anything like how the press treats obama!!!! Never.

17. Guggi
    18 | November 9, 2012 6:27 pm

Thank you, Flyovercountry, for this excellent and well written posting.

18. Lily
    19 | November 9, 2012 6:32 pm

Mars wrote:

@ Lily:
    How in the hell do you counteract that? Hell if I know
    They would just claim that it was a very late term abortion
    and that BHO just honored the wishes of the mother.

Indeed he would have fired up the Democartic base like none other!
    And how would he conter-act the media if the media will not and would not report it. On Fox News? As we have seen even with Fox News only carrying the message..the other News Outlets would have torn Newt to pieces in my opinion…not like they didn’t do that with Romney over Big Bird (although Big Bird guy makes over 300,000 dollars a year, or binders of women; which meant resume’s …..they took this and ran with it and a nation full of people who cannot think critically believed these were massive pressing issues…but nevermind our horrid domestic policy and our even more horrid foreign policy…to be blunt there was nothing anyone could have done against this

19. Mars
    20 | November 9, 2012 6:32 pm

This article is incredible. There are things in there I haven’t even heard before.

20. Guggi
    21 | November 9, 2012 6:33 pm

Isn’t it curious that the resignation was announced on a Friday afternoon when people start the weekend ?

21. Mars
    22 | November 9, 2012 6:36 pm

Lily wrote:

Mars wrote:

@ Lily:
    How in the hell do you counteract that? Hell if I know
    They would just claim that it was a very late term abortion
    and that BHO just honored the wishes of the mother.

Indeed he would have fired up the Democartic base like none other!

Plus the people in this country and the press have turned this into a popularity contest and frankly people find Newt to be at the least unphotogenic.

None of this is Newt bashing. I actually receive his email newsletters and have always been a huge fan of his. He is hands down one of the smartest people in politics period. Unfortunately like most highly intelligent people he has a hard time connecting to people and explaining what he means. He either comes off as confusing or condescending. It’s not his fault, he’s just already so many thoughts ahead of his listeners he’s disconnected from them.

22. Lily
    23 | November 9, 2012 6:37 pm

@ Guggi:

Guggi there were more than one who resigned because of affairs….DaBeerFreak linked to another one today at the bottom of the last thread..Fishy? Damn straight.

23. Mars
    24 | November 9, 2012 6:38 pm

Guggi wrote:

Not with this administration. Drop it on Friday and let it run the weekend when no one is paying attention, then Monday you’ve already moved on to a new story. Friday is were stories go to die.

24. Mars
  25. Guggi
    26 | November 9, 2012 6:41 pm

Mars wrote:

exactly

@Good night everyone

26. Lily
    27 | November 9, 2012 6:42 pm

@ Mars:

I’m not bashing Newt either….just saying how the press would have went after him and no matter what he said or did…he would have been torn to pieces in the press and obama wouldn’t have to do anything.
    It’s just sickening how our country has devolved to were it is now.

27. Lily
    28 | November 9, 2012 6:43 pm

@ Guggi:

Nite {Guggi)!

28. 29 | November 9, 2012 6:46 pm

Had me until the last sentence. Newt would have been an utter disaster. The man has more baggage than United/Continental handles on Thanksgiving weekend.

This post facto running of the manure spreader at warp speeds gets me every time. We’re all doomed to be reading about this for at least the next year. But since it’s the “in thing” at the moment, I’ll chip in with at least a question.

We have and will see great angst over why those 3 million (or whatever) McCain voters didn’t turn out. But while we’re all bloviating over that tidbit, consider for a moment that some 8-10 million Obama voters didn’t turn out, either. That’s the thing that keeps me awake nights, to be honest. I haven’t seen any analysis yet on that total picture. Anybody else?

29. Lily
    30 | November 9, 2012 6:49 pm

@ Mars:

Excatly obama lied and lied and lied. Rommney tried to tell the truth. But people believed the lies!

30. Lily
    31 | November 9, 2012 6:51 pm

@ Mike C.:

I agree something is rotten in Denmark..what I don’t know.

31. eaglesoars
    32 | November 9, 2012 7:01 pm

Mike C. wrote:

Anybody else?

I don’t understand yet what this means, but it means something.

The 3 mil missing ‘McCain’ voters seem to be from ‘swing’ states, the missing Obama voters evenly distributed.

If that statistical breakdown hold up, then the next thing I want to know is probably unknowable -- how do the missing voters break down into cohorts, especially age and household income? How do you even FIND the ones who by definition disappeared?

I suspect the missing voters are probably the younger ones, susceptable both to excessive enthusiasm (2008) and apathy.

33 | November 9, 2012 7:01 pm

Lily wrote:

@ Mars:

It is far easier to lie to people than to tell them they are being lied to. :evil:

34 | November 9, 2012 7:08 pm

the vote was stolen…the fact remains that people identify as conservative almost 2 to 1 against liberals…but they have no interest in politics…they are of all colors, genders, and are found across the income spectrum…they live in SoHo, Peoria and Del Rio…get these people to the poles and you will win nearly every time…

34. Mars
    35 | November 9, 2012 7:11 pm

heysoos wrote:

Check out Ulsterman report and what’s being said about the modified stuxnet worm.

It is possible but there’s just a small window it has to be injected right after the machines have been setup. Otherwise it would be picked up in the system checks before they’re sent out. Don’t forget they are serviced by the SEIU. The only areas that can be affected are the areas with electronic voting machines. The places with paper ballots would have had to resort to the old method of box stuffing.

35. Mars
    36 | November 9, 2012 7:12 pm

The question I guess that needs to be asked is: would this admin use the Iran cyber attack as a dry run for committing vote fraud?

37 | November 9, 2012 7:16 pm

@ Mars:
    yeah, we can walk around on Pluto or wherever but we can’t honestly vote…why am I so pissed?…I don’t express the full tilt boogie of my thoughts here…I don’t want to seem hostile

38 | November 9, 2012 7:22 pm

Mars wrote:

yes, of course…you might not believe what the NSA and CIA are up to or capable off…herding millions of voters into pens after hypnotizing them or 2 years, dulling their senses with lies and misinformation is not some African invention…they drool, push buttons and pull levers clutching their Ophones, while the chip rings up another vote for the winners…electing presidents is easy, given the time and financing…it’s the biggest fraud in history

38. 39 | November 9, 2012 10:49 pm

Guggi wrote:

Happens ALL THE TIME on our side of the pond.

Mars wrote:

heysoos wrote:

Yup.

@ Mike C.:
    Simple. The undervote for Obama was perfectly and entirely legitimate; it was not the result of stolen or lost votes. Lots of blacks were, and are, disappointed in him. But they won’t come out and say so, and they don’t have the moral courage to vote GOP. They just stayed home.

40 | November 9, 2012 11:10 pm

I wasn’t for Mitt. I thought he was too boardroom. Then he won the primary and i supported him and like his candidacy. And then i donated money to him which i never do in elections. He wasn’t able to reach that change in consciousness for most voters. His image was still abstracted out and one step removed from the voting both. He needed a much more personal appeal.

Someone needed to drag Obama through the mud and didn’t do it

40. 41 | November 9, 2012 11:20 pm

darkwords wrote:

Someone needed to drag Obama through the mud and didn’t do it

I tried.

Nobody listened.

I also warned about vote fraud.

Nobody listened.

42 | November 10, 2012 8:18 am

2 rn’s i work with sited the abortion / ‘war on women’ / equal pay lie as reasons they didnt vote for romney. they quotes the legitimate rape thing to me!

we have an ifo gap and too many asshats who are hell bent on born again proselytizing that turns off people.

and no 1389, these arent tattooed abortion loving idiot sluts, they are professionals in their 20′s enjoying their lives who will be republican in a few years when they learn what is up.

we have an information problem, and because we are idiots we will never fix it.

we run some real morons for office, legitimate rape indeed.

42. Guggi
    43 | November 10, 2012 10:04 am

Why is this posting now listed under “Special Reports” instead on the main page ?

44 | November 10, 2012 10:12 am

Guggi wrote:

we are having some serious problems at the server….

my ncaa football thread posted 5 times.

44. Ben_Dover
    45 | November 10, 2012 10:26 am

Fly,

You’re fighting a losing battle. If this is your battle plan for the next elections, you are going to lose again.

This election was not lost because of ideas or people not coming out of bases, in my opinion. Not sure what the impact of RP supporters not voting had.

In my opinion you’re losing because of demographics.

Also, the other team plays very, very dirty whereas you play by the rules.

I am really shocked Obama is voted in again. Such a terrible President, unbelievable!

You can win by intellect, it won’t do you good.