NFL Week 11 Open Thread

by Carolina Girl ( 17 Comments › )
Filed under Open thread, Sports, Uncategorized at November 18th, 2012 - 12:40 pm

Dear Drew and Company – Welcome to your afternoon.

Hard to believe only six weeks left in the season that I wait 30 weeks to start. Some nice matchups this week., none more so in our house as the Saints traveling to the Black Hole to take on the Oakland Raiders. Football Savant Offspring what’s tickets so armed with his trusted Kodak EasyShare, I am hoping to post a live action shot of the winner in next week’s column instead of stock footage of happy quarterbacks.

So sit back wherever you are – it’s definitely a great sports day — the last race of the NASCAR season is taking place at Homestead, Florida – and at least this year it won’t be applied by Moochelle Obama showing up to pretend she cares about the military and hog the spotlight.   The 2012 champion will either be Bred Kesolowski or Jimmie Johnson and since I don’t  like either one, I think I’ll instead be focusing my attention here:

Cardinals@ Falcons

Buccaneers @ Panthers

Browns @ Cowboys
Jaguars @ Texans
Bengals @ Chiefs
Jets @ Rams
Eagles @ Redskins
Packers @ Detroit
Saints @ Raiders
Colts @ Patriots
Chargers @ Broncos
Ravens @ Steelers

Monday Night Game

Bears @ 49ers

Update – driving back from Flyboys in Livermore this a.m., I was routinely flipped off by Raider fans on the way to the game as they passed me.  Couldn’t figure out why until I got home and remembered the “New Orleans Saints” license plate holder on the back of my car.

Comments

17 Responses to “NFL Week 11 Open Thread”

1. 1 | November 18, 2012 12:48 pm

NASCAR. Yee. Haw….

2. 2 | November 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Apologize for the misspellings and all, y’all (typed up this a.m. on my iPad), and I thought I had gone back through and edited it but it looks like they didn’t take. I don’t suppost I can pull and fix and reschedule for ten minutes from now, could I?

3. Guggi
    3 | November 18, 2012 1:23 pm

The best description of Petraeus I’ve read so long and it really makes my day :-) :

He wasn’t the military magician portrayed in the press; he was a self-constructed hologram, emitting an aura of preening heroism for the ever eager cameras.

(…)

The thing he learned to do better than anything else was present the image of The Man You Turn To When Things Get Tough. (Who can forget the Newsweek cover, “Can This Man Save Iraq?” with a photo of General Petraeus looking very Princeton-educated in his Westy-starched fatigues?) He was so good at it that he conned the news media into thinking he was the most remarkable general officer in the last 40 years, and, by playing hard to get, he conned the political establishment into thinking that he could morph into Ike Part Deux and might one day be persuaded to lead a moribund political party back to the White House.

THE problem was that he hadn’t led his own Army to win anything even approximating a victory in either Iraq or Afghanistan. It’s not just General Petraeus. The fact is that none of our generals have led us to a victory since men like Patton and my grandfather, Lucian King Truscott Jr., stormed the beaches of North Africa and southern France with blood in their eyes and military murder on their minds.

(…)

But we still shouldn’t allow our military establishment to give us one generation after another of imitation generals who pretend to greatness on talk shows and photo spreads, jetting around the world in military-spec business jets.

The generals who won World War II were the kind of men who, as it was said at the time, chewed nails for breakfast, spit tacks at lunch and picked their teeth with their pistol barrels. General Petraeus probably flosses. He didn’t chew nails and spit tacks, but rather challenged privates to push-up contests and went out on five-mile reveille runs with biographers.

His greatest accomplishment was merely personal: he transformed himself from an intellectual nerd into a rock star military man. The problem was that he got so lost among his hangers-on and handlers and roadies and groupies that he finally had his head turned by a West Point babe in a sleeveless top.

4. Guggi
    4 | November 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Guggi wrote:

so long

so far, you stupid.

5 | November 18, 2012 1:41 pm

I know that this is an NFL thread, but yesterday
    was one of the more remarkable days in college
    football that I can remember.
    I watched Notre Dame beat Wake Forest as expected.
    But no National Championship Game for them unless
    Kansas State or Oregon lose.
    Unranked Baylor slaps the snot out of K State &
    for good measure Stanford takes down Oregon!
    Looks like ND & Bama for the title.

6. 6 | November 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Notre Dame may be 9-0 (or is it 10-0 now?), but I’ll still take The Crimson Tide! Call me Deacon Blues.

7 | November 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Macker wrote:

They are 11 & 0
    You can make the case either way, but ND does have
    a lights out defense & their offense is really hitting on
    all cylinders now.
    Bama is tough, so I expect a good game, but first ND has
    to get past USC.

8. Aussie Infidel
    8 | November 18, 2012 2:17 pm

CNN gets caught AGAIN lying for sake of its PLO / Hamas allies. If there was any justice in this world these CNN traitors would be dragged through the courts and then hung.

How far the US has fallen since 1945.

9 | November 18, 2012 2:23 pm

@ Aussie Infidel:

How far the US has fallen since 1945

To me it started during the Viet Nam War.
    John Kerry & Jane Fonda were treated as heroic cultural icons,
    instead of traitors.
    It turned reason upside down, but at least our troops are
    respected today.

10. TolerantT
    10 | November 18, 2012 2:30 pm

@ Guggi:

Now here’s a General:

He used to ride his Harley to work in 1984, 85 as the Commanding General of the 24th ID(M) at Ft. Stewart Ga.

Remember that briefing where he said, “An this, ladies and gentlemen, is the luckiest man in Iraq” as a truck drove thru the crosshairs just prior to a bridge being completely demolished.

11 | November 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Macker, what the heck is that thing in your avatar?

I’m guessin’ you owe me some Quatloos, boy!

12. Aussie Infidel
    12 | November 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Our troops may be respected by the sheeple right now but that is just a single media blitz away from instant vilification. The MSM has such a strangle hold on the minds of the sheeple that everything is on the table all the time. Villains can be made and unmade at the stroke of a pen. Heros become fools overnight and documented liars can be placed on the media stage as some letter-day saviour.

It’s all media manipulation of the weak minded ‘sheeple generation. Short attention spans and even shorter memories . The lack of rational enquiry where we have ‘packaged’ reality. People have lost the ability to differentiate between reality and fiction. You really think that this just ‘happened’?

The West has been ‘had’ for at least 2 generations.

13 | November 18, 2012 2:45 pm

@ 10 TolerantT: Part of the problem for me with the upper ranks is that if one of them just spits in the sawdust at a bar they are deemed unfit for command or promotion. I can’t have confidence in a military like that. You take someone that killed people with their hands and is a leader in war and teach them the finer aspects of mass killing the enemy but expect them to learn to courtesy on command also. that’s one foot in the grave.

14. 14 | November 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Once again the Chiefs look like crap.

15 | November 18, 2012 3:04 pm

@ Aussie Infidel:

That is an uncomfortable fact of life in America.
    In recall even Chris Matthews admired the troops
    after 9-11 & tried to bootstrap on.
    He recounted a story about his Peace Corps days in Africa.
    He & another guy drove to the airport and “There could have
    been Rebels!”
    That was his Viet Nam.

16 | November 18, 2012 3:06 pm

New thread.

17. 17 | November 18, 2012 7:08 pm

The Osprey wrote:

Macker, what the heck is that thing in your avatar?

I’m guessin’ you owe me some Quatloos, boy!

HELL NO! That guy is from Ulan Bator Air/Sea Rescue!