Thanksgiving 2012, Capitalism and Freedom versus Collectivism and Pain

by coldwarrior ( 193 Comments › )
Filed under Academia, History, Open thread at November 22nd, 2012 - 7:00 am

Those of you who know me in real life know that I can never pass up an opportunity to teach. Knowledge is indeed power.  A day where you don’t learn something is like a day with0out sunshine.

So let me take this opportunity to give yinz this link and article about what really happened on that first Thanksgiving. Share the story with one or two who don’t know. Plant the seeds of the virtues of freedom and capitalism in a skull full of mush this year and just maybe we can help change society one person at a time.

The Real Story of Thanksgiving

By Julie Borowski on November 23, 2011

Every year around this time, most schoolchildren hear the same ol’ Thanksgiving story in their classrooms across the nation. That so-called official story is a heartwarming tale of how the Pilgrims and Native Americans shared a bountiful feast together. But it does not tell the full truth about what really happened on the Plymouth Plantation.

We’re told that the Pilgrims struggled for their survival when they landed in present-day Massachusetts in the 1620’s. Half of the Pilgrims starved to death or went back to England during the first year alone because of harsh winter weather and their lack of proper farming skills. Their chronic food shortages were ultimately resolved when the Native Americans taught the Pilgrims how to plant corn the following spring and together they celebrated their blessings with a huge feast.

That “official” story is nothing like what actually happened. For evidence of the failures of communism, we do not need to look to disastrous experiments in foreign lands. The Plymouth Plantation, one of the first English colonial ventures in North America, is actually one of the most evident examples of the failures of collectivism.

Centuries before the Communist Manifesto was even published, the Pilgrims set up an economic system that looked similar to the “utopia” advocated by Karl Marx. In the early years of the Plymouth Plantation, there was no such thing as private property. All property was held in common and it was forbidden for anyone to produce their own food. It was up to the plantation officials to distribute food and supplies to the Pilgrims based on equality and need.

The Plantation leaders showed their immense lack of knowledge regarding basic economic principles. Plymouth County Governor William Bradford wrote that, “the taking away of property, and bringing in community into a common wealth, would make them happy and flourishing.” That clearly was not the case since the Pilgrims experienced great despair and massive food shortages for several years.

The Plymouth Plantation lacked the appropriate incentive structure. As economics Professor Benjamin Powell writes, “bad weather or lack of farming knowledge did not cause the pilgrims’ shortages. Bad economic incentives did.” Many Pilgrims faked illness or stole instead of working in the fields to produce food. William Bradford later wrote that the colony was filled with “corruption,” and with “confusion and discontent.” He stated that the crops were so small because “much was stolen both by night and day, before it became scarce eatable.”

William Bradford finally decided to change course by implementing a new economic system in 1623. He assigned “every family a parcel of land” to do with it as they saw fit and the results were nothing short of miraculous. For the first time in the New World, families could enjoy the fruits of their labor. While it was not a complete private property system, the move away from collectivism saved the Pilgrims. As Governor William Bradford wrote that year, “instead of famine now God gave them plenty.”

Never again did the Pilgrims face widespread starvation and food shortages. Governor William Bradford wrote that this more capitalist system “had very good success for it made all hands very industrious, so as much more corn was planted than otherwise would have been. By this time harvest was come…the face of things was changed, to the rejoicing of the hearts of many.” The colonists actually produced so much food in 1623 that they starting exporting corn. The Pilgrims were able to celebrate all of their blessings with plentiful feasts.

The real story of Thanksgiving shows why freedom works and collectivism doesn’t. Let us not forget the lessons of colonial America: collectivism will always fail to produce a happy and prosperous society.

And…Rush reads his yearly history of Thanksgiving.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY7IizuPCH4

**This will be the first open thread today. At 1700est we will run “At last, the mystery of the Mayan calendar revealed. Actual science here!” and then at 2200est Thanksgiving greetings OOT form BunkX.

And (McDuff reminded me of this):

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

The funniest 5 minutes of TV ever!

Comments

193 Responses to “Thanksgiving 2012, Capitalism and Freedom versus Collectivism and Pain”

1 | November 22, 2012 7:24 am

@ MacDuff:
    good on her!
    i was scheduled to work today (would have been on double time $$$$) but it looks like i am going to be cancelled for the day, so I will start the turkey now!

@ MacDuff:
    good on her!

Money tends to come and go, but we’ve a finite number of Thanksgivings, and I certainly hope you enjoy yours. I hope Mrs. CW is well and continues to improve, no doubt that’ll be high on your list of thanksgivings!

she is well, and that is a good thing!

we kinda figured I was going to get cancelled anyway, so time to start the turkey!

2. 2 | November 22, 2012 7:41 am

No Thanksgiving is complete without:

“As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly”

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

3. 3 | November 22, 2012 7:48 am

How long before they airbrush Muslims and halal guinea hens into the Thanksgiving myth?

4 | November 22, 2012 7:53 am

No Thanksgiving is complete without:
    “As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly”

THE funniest 5 minutes of TV

EVAH!!!!!

5. 5 | November 22, 2012 7:55 am

No Thanksgiving is complete without:
    “As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly”

Heh. Cracks me up every time I see it (and I saw it on first run, back when.)

Now as to the thread subject, I’d venture most Americans think English-based (and that’s what it is) America started with a group of religious folks at Plymouth. Which, of course, is absolutely not true. Roanoke Island aside, there’s Jamestown, which was supposed to MAKE MONEY! Not that Jamestown didn’t have it’s problems, because it most certainly did.

6 | November 22, 2012 7:57 am

Mike C. wrote:

No Thanksgiving is complete without:
    “As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly”

Heh. Cracks me up every time I see it

hysterical!

7. Guggi
    7 | November 22, 2012 8:02 am

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone !

8. Guggi
    8 | November 22, 2012 8:02 am

The quality of ideas seems to play a minor role in mass movement leadership. What counts is the arrogant gesture, the complete disregard of the opinion of others, the singlehanded defiance of the world.

(Eric Hoffer)

9 | November 22, 2012 8:04 am

Guggi wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone !

YAY!!!

10. 10 | November 22, 2012 8:07 am

There’s always Cliff Claven’s explanation of why beer killing off brain cells improves your thinking (“Cheers”), but damned if I see it on the internet any more.

11. Guggi
    11 | November 22, 2012 8:14 am

@ Mike C.:

“A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, the slow and weak at the back are killed first. The speed and health of the herd keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

“In the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as its slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. Naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

“In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That’s why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

:-)

12 | November 22, 2012 8:19 am

@ Mike C.:
    @ Guggi:

ahhh! see, its basic neuroscience!

i’ll run this past the neurology team tomorrow.

13. 13 | November 22, 2012 8:33 am

Guggi:

Yeah, but you really need the video, with Norm making two bets against Dianne RE Cliff’s explanation. The first one was that Cliff would have an explanation, and the second was (IIRC) “that it would be a doozie!”

14. Storagemanager
    14 | November 22, 2012 8:44 am

May G-D bless you and your family…Happy Thanksgiving folks..

15 | November 22, 2012 8:47 am

Mike C. wrote:

Guggi:

that was the one explaining cold beer on a cold day

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GTZrcoWEM

16 | November 22, 2012 8:47 am

Storagemanager wrote:

May G-D bless you and your family…Happy Thanksgiving folks..

indeed!

17. 17 | November 22, 2012 8:54 am

Mike C. wrote:

Guggi:

Damn, I can’t find it either. “Cheers” was one of our favorites and we rarely missed one….that’s saying a lot in the pre DVR days when you actually had to be in front of the TV at a specific time (or deal with the cryptic programming process of a VCR).

18. 18 | November 22, 2012 8:55 am

Guggi wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone !

Thank you, and to you and yours!

19. 19 | November 22, 2012 9:05 am

Okay, we were talking about taking back schools the other day? Here’s what they are pushing in public school here in Canada. I suspect that similar lesson plans are being foisted on your students as well.

20. 20 | November 22, 2012 9:08 am

1933, New York City Ragamuffins.

Before Halloween was the holiday known for dressing up in costume and begging for candy (this practice did not become common until the 1940s and 50s), children in NYC often participated in what was called Ragamuffin Day. On Ragamuffin Day – which was Thanksgiving Day – children would dress themselves in rags and oversized, overdone parodies of beggars (a la Charlie Chaplin’s character “The Tramp”). The ragamuffins would then ask neighbors and adults on the street, “Anything for Thanksgiving?” The usual response would be pennies, an apple, or a piece of candy.

In 1936, The New York Times’ only mention of the ragamuffins is to state:

Ragamuffins Frowned Upon: Despite the endeavors of social agencies to discourage begging by children, it is likely that the customary Thanksgiving ragamuffins, wearing discarded apparel of their elders, with masks and painted faces, will ask passers-by, ‘anything for Thanksgiving?’

In 1937, organizations such as the Madison Square Boys Club were reported as having Thanksgiving parades as an effort “to discourage the Thanksgiving ragamuffins.” By 1940, that parade had grown in size to over 400 children and sported the slogan “American boys do not beg.” Though the parading boys still dressed in costume as ragamuffins, many donned costumes of other things and people – such as alarm clocks and Michelangelo. – NYPL

Pretty interesting stuff. The pics at the site are very cool (if not a bit hard to see).

21. Storagemanager
    21 | November 22, 2012 9:10 am

Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood ordered its members not to travel abroad as they might be needed to take on the streets to support “revolutionary” decisions expected to be announced by the country’s president, sources told a news agency.

The sources, who wished to remain anonymous, told Anadolu Agency Thursday that the Muslim Brotherhood is in a state of alert and expected to start marches to defend “revolutionary” decisions that are expected to be made by President Mohammed Mursi.

However, it didn’t name what kind of decisions Mursi is expected to make. http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/11/22/251186.html

22. citizen_q
    22 | November 22, 2012 9:10 am

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

24. 24 | November 22, 2012 9:16 am

@ PaladinPhil:

“The classroom has completely changed,” says Rita Irwin, associate dean of teacher education at the University of British Columbia. “We need to prepare teachers to deal with that

Because, math, science , and reading are so different today than they were forty years ago. All of these so-called teachers should be fired.

25. Guggi
    25 | November 22, 2012 9:19 am

Guggi wrote:
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone !
    Thank you, and to you and yours!

We celebrate Thanksgiving on the 1st Sunday in October (this one starts right at my university)

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4EsN-RQ7M

26. 26 | November 22, 2012 9:20 am

Part of the problem is where this teaching method is being taught. Teacher colleges are teaching future teachers these methods. It’s going to be a long battle to take back classrooms from the marxist thinkers.

27. citizen_q
    27 | November 22, 2012 9:21 am

@ Mike C.:
    @ Guggi:
    ahhh! see, its basic neuroscience!
    i’ll run this past the neurology team tomorrow.

Good Luck! I my thankfully limited experience physicians often have a limited sense of humour.

As an example. My wife was in the ER for abdominal pains. They could not find anything wrong. Personally knowing my wife and after they had run tests and ruled out anything serious, I thought she’d feel better if she just let lose and farted. This I kept to myself The ER physician was hovering over my wife talking, telling her that they could not anything wrong. I figured I would lighten things up with a joke. I suggested to the doc that maybe my wife was afflicted with opticanalitis. This stopped her dead in her tracks, she took it seriously and thought it a condition she’d never heard of before, and asked me to elaborate. I told her my wife has a shitty outlook………. She looked at me confused, so I explained the poor joke, it really wasn’t worth pushing it.

The wife was not happy with my joking, she made I had a shitty outlook for awhile.

28 | November 22, 2012 9:31 am

citizen_q wrote:

our residents are pretty funny, two of the 4 attendings have no sense of humor, the other 2 are a riot

29. 29 | November 22, 2012 9:45 am

@ PaladinPhil:
    Yeah, and it is not sufficient that you be educated to teach anymore. You have to have gone through the indoctrination to get a teaching credential. We are as bad as the Soviet Union for requiring political orthodoxy in order to teach. They call this diversity, but it is anything but diverse.

30. 30 | November 22, 2012 9:50 am

I just saw my primary physician yesterday and she’s a hoot! That’s one of the reasons I’ll stick with her as long as she’s practicing. She was following up with general questions and I mentioned that my cognitive issues were still present and I added “considering the state of the country and the world, a little lack of cognition is something of a blessing” she had her head on the table in laughter. she’s highly competent and an absolute joy to be around and I’m damned thankful for her.

31. Calo
    31 | November 22, 2012 9:52 am

In Laval, Que., a six-year-old boy was disqualified from a teddy-bear contest because a Ziploc was found in his lunch instead of a reusable container.

Mom didn’t get the meme about recycling.

Punish the CHILD!

Next time she will comply. /

32. 32 | November 22, 2012 9:54 am

citizen_q wrote:

That’s actually quite funny! Laughter and good cheer have been a whole lot better for me than brooding and worry, and I’ve experienced plenty of both. I’m convinced that the ol’ adage “laughter is the best medicine” is based in fact.

33. Guggi
    33 | November 22, 2012 9:58 am

As a re-read:

THE EDUCATION OF MINORITY CHILDREN

34. 34 | November 22, 2012 10:05 am

Guggi wrote:

(Eric Hoffer)

Thanks for posting that, he’s as relevant now as he ever was!

35 | November 22, 2012 10:20 am

Happy Thanksgiving. It is a great day not to be a turkey.

36. citizen_q
    36 | November 22, 2012 10:20 am

I would imagine an appropriate sense of humour would be an asset.

@ MacDuff:
    I thought so. Like I said, I only ventured the joke when it really looked like nothing was wrong, but alas, humour is in the ear of the beholder.

37. 37 | November 22, 2012 10:24 am

@ Calo:

Hey! Happy Thanksgiving! I thought I’d give you an update on my condition. I weighed in at 196.4 yesterday morning, down from 304 (at my official weigh-in; I was over 315 at one point). I had a minor set-back this year when I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis in my hips. I had a core decompression done on my Left hip. There’s no pain, but it kind of keeps me from running anymore, which is depressing. However, I can “run” on the elliptical, and I’ve been burning that up. I am up to 4 miles in 30 minutes, which is really, really good. That has been a goal of mine for some time. I’d wanted to sdo it on the treadmill, but you do what you can. Overall, though, I am in excellent shape now. I still want to lose about another 20 pounds. I think I’ll accomplish that in the next six months.

38. 38 | November 22, 2012 10:37 am

That is good news. Keep up the good effort.

39. 39 | November 22, 2012 10:54 am

Mike C. wrote:

Cough cough… Actually it’s because of a substance called isotropin, which is in the beer because of the Hops. It occurs naturally in the Hops. Isotropin is an amino acid that basically dissolves fat, in the brain that results in a increased neurotransmitter to ganglia ratio.

40. Calo
    40 | November 22, 2012 10:55 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your household as well, IF.

Great news on the weight loss and even better news that your docs didn’t have to do a total hip replacement on you. I also saw a post that you are off alI insulin now. That is really great news to hear.

I can relate to the depression on not being able to run. :( I can bike and swim but I still can’t get past a mile run. Maybe a mini marathon is not in my future. I’ll take what I can get and forge on, happy to be feeling better my damn self.

41. 41 | November 22, 2012 10:56 am

Oh… And Happy thanksgiving everyone… :grin:

42. 42 | November 22, 2012 10:56 am

The preliminaries are pretty much done. Things are at the ready for the last-minute rush (okay, last 45 minute rush.) Eating is scheduled for 1 PM, but since the older daughter hasn’t been on time for well over a decade, that might just slide a bit. But it is what it is. There must be something I need to do in the meantime, though, so I better go find it and do it.

43. Dolphin
    43 | November 22, 2012 10:59 am

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! From the beautiful Georgetown, Texas with a current temperature of 57° and going up to 77° with mostly sunny skies. Visiting with my aunt who is fighting stage 4 lung cancer and is doing remarkably well. Last chemo is on Monday and then a reevaluate. Smoked Turkey breast with all the fixins are on the menu later today!

44. 44 | November 22, 2012 10:59 am

Calo wrote:

Maybe a mini marathon is not in my future.

ROTFLMAO… I’d be lucky these days to be able to run to the liqueur store and back, and it’s only half a block away. (back in my 20′s I was a jogger who averaged 15 miles a day). That’s what happens when you get old fat and lazy… :lol: :lol: :lol;

45. 45 | November 22, 2012 11:01 am

Dolphin wrote:

Smoked Turkey breast with all the fixins are on the menu later today!

How exactly do you fit a turkey breast into your Bong, and why would you smoke it, I prefer to eat the turkey breast myself… :twisted:

46. 46 | November 22, 2012 11:03 am

doriangrey wrote:

We of conservative persuasion no like ‘em “science!”, it make our underdeveloped Republican brains hurt. ;)

That notwithstanding, I drink to our collective health, cheers! :D

47. 47 | November 22, 2012 11:05 am

Happy Thanksgiving. It is a great day not to be a turkey.

As true literally as it is figuratively. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, RIX!

48. Dolphin
    48 | November 22, 2012 11:10 am

Haha!

;)

49. Calo
    49 | November 22, 2012 11:13 am

@ Dolphin:
    Yes, a gorgeous day is on tap here for South Texas. It’s 67 right now with a high of 78 degrees later.
    The menfolk are busy in the kitchen prepping the bird and serving me some coffee while I sit down and relax this morning.

50. 50 | November 22, 2012 11:16 am

@ Calo:

Those are pretty impressive stats, Fist! We joined a health club a couple of weeks ago in the quest to lose some weight and just generally improve our health. I’ve been going religiously, setting modest goals and, already, I feel better than I’ve felt in years.

Of course, Thanksgiving is a bit of a detour, and that’s the way I look at it-merely a detour. Deprivation is not good for the spirit and today is to make merry and enjoy what prosperity that’s still available.

51. Dolphin
    51 | November 22, 2012 11:18 am

@ Calo:
    You got them trained well! I prepped everything before we came over. Everything should go in about 1:30 and we should eat by 3pm.

52. 52 | November 22, 2012 11:22 am

Calo wrote:

I read that sentence, look at your avatar, and realize it’s very well chosen! Well done, keep ‘em hoppin’.

53. Calo
    53 | November 22, 2012 11:27 am

Cut your damn hair Dorian. It’ll lighten your load as you hop your way down the block. :lol:

And, Happy Thanksgiving to your mom. Remind her to take her meds today to stay healthy and avoid salt laden foods today.

54. SciFiGuy
    54 | November 22, 2012 11:28 am

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!! Remember, there is no cure for tryptophan poisoning but watching football.

55. 55 | November 22, 2012 11:31 am

Calo wrote:

Cut your damn hair Dorian.

Good grief woman, what is it with you and my poor hair… I still have all my hair I aint cutting it till I start to loose it… :razz:

56. SciFiGuy
    56 | November 22, 2012 11:32 am

Mike C. wrote:

So if i inject isotropin in my beer belly, i get smarter and lose weight. I seeing win win here… LOL

57. Calo
    57 | November 22, 2012 11:35 am

@ SciFiGuy:

It used to be Dallas who played football and I had to endure on Thanksgivings past.

Not this year.

Lions vs Texans

58 | November 22, 2012 11:35 am

Two Thanksgiving Day Gentlemen

A seasonal story by O. Henry.

59. 59 | November 22, 2012 11:37 am

Calo wrote:

That’s probably coming, but the goal of the core decompression is to put it off as long as possible. I’m just glad that there is an avenue for me ot continue to get my cardio in. That has become very central to my life. The surgery has brought about a near-total change in my behavior. I am eating much better than I used to. We had a health check-up at work the other day, and my cholesterol was 129. My HDL was a little low at 38, but overall my numbers were in the ideal range.

Off all diabetes medications, and my A1Cs are running under 6.8. I still run a little high, but it isn’t worth treating. I am in so much better shape than I was 18 months ago. Now I just have to keep it up. I turn 45 in about 20 months, and my goal is o be in the best shape of my life by then.

60. Calo
    60 | November 22, 2012 11:38 am

Meh … there once was a Southern California blogger who rode a bicycle and sported a grey pony tail. I’m just trying to save you from the same fate, my darling.

61. SciFiGuy
    61 | November 22, 2012 11:38 am

Calo wrote:

@ SciFiGuy:

Not this year.

Lions vs Texans

Texans pulled Sundays game out their buttocks against J’ville. Took them toooooo lightly almost bite them.

62. 62 | November 22, 2012 11:40 am

Happy Thanksgiving! I am watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving day parade.

63. John Difool
    63 | November 22, 2012 11:41 am

Calo wrote:

@ SciFiGuy:
    Not this year.
    Lions vs Texans

I’m glad the NFL has finally decided to add variety to the slate of Thanksgiving Day games.

Just Dallas & Greenbay vs. whatever punching bags they were up against year to year had gotten beyond old….unless of course you are a Dallas or Green Bay fan.

Nice to see my Skins take on the C’Girls today.

64. SciFiGuy
    64 | November 22, 2012 11:44 am

@ John Difool:
    Pats vs. Jets game tonight ought to be another good one. Jets always seem to step it up when the Pats come to town.

65. John Difool
    65 | November 22, 2012 11:46 am

Meant Detroit not Greenbay, but although both Dal & Det play today & then the Jets & NE later on this evening, all three of these games should be good for a change on Thanksgiving.

66. John Difool
    66 | November 22, 2012 11:49 am

SciFiGuy wrote:

@ John Difool:

Skins have to beat Dallas to remain alive in the division & for a chance at a possible wildcard at the end of the season. Dallas also, they are one up on the Skins.

This is a must win game for both teams with playoff implications.

67 | November 22, 2012 11:49 am

@ SciFiGuy:

Break Brady!

68. John Difool
    68 | November 22, 2012 11:51 am

@ SciFiGuy:
    @ Bumr50:

Gront is also out for the season.

69. 69 | November 22, 2012 11:52 am

MacDuff wrote:

Exactly. It isn’t any one day that makes a difference. It is the pattern of your behavior. I set short-term goals and long term goals. I am always trying to get a little better. It is through slow, small, but constant gains that I improve. I’m never going to be a pro body builder or marathon runner, but I can be the best me that I can be, and that will be enough. Happy Thanksgiving! In spite of Obama, we still have a lot to be thankful for.

70. poteen
    70 | November 22, 2012 11:54 am

Happy Thanksgiving infidel dogs.
    While you indulge in haram food and silly sports read how a soldier of Allah meets his glorious reward./

The Times of India reports that Kasab lost composure at the end:

Only when he was being taken to the gallows did Ajmal Kasab lose his composure. “Allah kasam maaf karna. Aisi galthi dobara nahi hogi. (I swear by Allah, please forgive me. I won’t make such a mistake again),” were the last coherent words uttered by Kasab as he was taken to the gallows at Yerawada central prison on Wednesday morning. Sources said Kasab then spoke incoherently for a while until the lever was pulled.

From PJ Tatler

This guy, Osama behind the wives, Taliban and Hamas’ baby killers as opposed to our military’s courage and that of NYPD, FDNY, and many others should leave us supremely confident and very thankful this day.

71 | November 22, 2012 12:01 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving. It is a great day not to be a turkey.

Right back at ya my friend.

72. 72 | November 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Calo wrote:

Not to worry my dearest Calo… I don’t ride a bicycle and don’t fancy myself Ansel whatever his name was… :razz:

73. 73 | November 22, 2012 12:07 pm

Okay, I cut up turkey, did 2nd round preliminaries on the green beans, and loaded what I had into the dishwasher. Might run that before eating even begins. There will be plenty to fill it up twice over again afterwards. Gotta try and stay aheah on that cleaning stuff, you know.

Rumor has it brussel sprouts are coming, too!

74. Calo
    74 | November 22, 2012 12:10 pm

I work hard at being mean. It will upset Rodan if he thinks otherwise.
    Don’t blow my cover, dude

And, Happy Thanksgiving Dorian. I’ve missed seeing you on the OOT.

75. John Difool
    75 | November 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Calo wrote:

What ya’ mean by “there was once” ? Pretty sure nothing’s changed except he probably gets around in one of those motorized carts you see fat people riding around in at WalMart now.

76. 76 | November 22, 2012 12:39 pm

doriangrey wrote:

Ah hell, I don’t want to be Ansel Adams myself. He’s great to learn from and had some great techniques. I want to be my own artist.

77. eaglesoars
    77 | November 22, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi everybody, happy Thanksgiving! Hubby just opened the champagne, the pig should be out of the oven by 2 pm and we’ll enjoy a little lobster bisque before then.

In spite of Obama, we still have a lot to be thankful for.

In your case, the love of a very good woman………

78. 78 | November 22, 2012 1:05 pm

@ eaglesoars:

A good marriage is priceless.

79. eaglesoars
    79 | November 22, 2012 1:08 pm

@ eaglesoars:

A good marriage is priceless.

yeppers.

Hey if anyone else here is a Vince Flynn fan, I just finished his most recent The Last Man – highly recommended!

80. 80 | November 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Since Mrs. MacDuff relegated the household duties to me, as I’m in a state of “retirement”, the status of the menu for the day is as follows.

I have my homemade corn pudding setting, ready to bake, as is my dressing (Trader Joe’s, but it smells delicious). Got the steamer and vegetables ready to start. Picked up my deep-fried turkey breast yesterday at a small local butcher (my being somewhat Tim Tayloresque, of late, a job best left to professionals).

Yeah, I know, but the corn pudding is homemade and a dish of which I’m quite proud!

81. 81 | November 22, 2012 1:14 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Hey if anyone else here is a Vince Flynn fan, I just finished his most recent The Last Man — highly recommended!

I used to be a Tom Clancy fan (when he actually wrote books), and I’ve been told that Flynn’s even better. Would you agree?

82 | November 22, 2012 1:20 pm

@ MacDuff:

Brad Thor’s books are good, too. Decidely un-PC when it comes to Islam.

83. eaglesoars
    83 | November 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Would you agree?

I think Apples and Oranges here. Primarily based on the completely different personalities of the main characters. Jack Ryan is not an assassin. Mitch Rapp is probably the deadliest man on the planet. Altho I think Flynn is every bit as good w/CIA machinations as Clancy. The Last Man had a bit of a jawdropper resolution.

But THE ABSOLUTE BEST BAR NONE – Daniel Silva. The man could write a menu and it would be transfixing.

84. eaglesoars
    84 | November 22, 2012 1:26 pm

@ MacDuff:

Brad Thor’s books are good, too. Decidely un-PC when it comes to Islam.

Another great storyteller. His books are how I found out about the Caucasion Ovcharks. If I were younger and had some serious land, I’d be raising them.

85. eaglesoars
    85 | November 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Ah, I see it’s the last-30-minute pre-sitdown rush time.

BBL.

86 | November 22, 2012 1:30 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    A good marriage is priceless.

yeppers.

i’m currently reading the Mahabarata

87 | November 22, 2012 1:37 pm

my newest thriller hero is Jack Reacher, the Lee Childs hero…super fast, easy to read, and Jack is a different sort of guy…fun stuff

88. 88 | November 22, 2012 1:38 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I appreciate the info, Clancy’s “A Debt of Honor” and the follow-up “Executive Orders” introduced me to the genre. That was some fantastic stuff and it introduced me to his older works but I don’t think he really writes any more, he just sells his name. It’s a bit insulting.

89 | November 22, 2012 1:40 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Jason Bourne is the deadliest man alive

90. 90 | November 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Very chilling and it verifies the ancient alien theory.

91. 91 | November 22, 2012 1:41 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

His books are how I found out about the Caucasion Ovcharks.

Is that dog as immense as he looks? He almost looks somewhat like a dark-haired variation on a Great Pyrenees. Gorgeous dog!

92. 92 | November 22, 2012 1:43 pm

@ eaglesoars:

A good marriage is priceless.

Hear! Hear! I can’t imagine life without her. There’s a lot to be thankful for, right there!

93. 93 | November 22, 2012 1:44 pm

@ poteen:
    “allah kasam”? Is that where “ala kazaam” of silly, fake, magic genies (jinn) came from?
    / deliberately mean

94 | November 22, 2012 1:44 pm

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PQT-T75WwE

95. 95 | November 22, 2012 1:45 pm

@ poteen:
    Oh, giving great thanks on this day that he’s gone, nevere to terrorize anyone again.

96 | November 22, 2012 1:46 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

His books are how I found out about the Caucasion Ovcharks.

They stand something like 41 inches high and weigh around 200 pounds.

97 | November 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Very chilling and it verifies the ancient alien theory.

i am still in Udyoga Parva (The Book of the Effort), the battle starts in a few more ‘chapters’

98. 98 | November 22, 2012 1:47 pm

The closer to the truth, the funnier the stuff and that’s hilarious!

99. Calo
    99 | November 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Hah! Those are my friends.

I’ll be amongst them tomorrow.

God save me.

100 | November 22, 2012 1:51 pm

@ MacDuff:

Clancy sold his name to Ubisoft for a large sum of money a few years ago.

Even before that, though, a lot of the books that had his name on them weren’t really written by him (like the NetForce series).

101 | November 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Calo wrote:

Hah! Those are my friends.

I’ll be amongst them tomorrow.

God save me.

I’ll be at a gun show, where it’s much safer.

102. 102 | November 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Oh gawd I have a lot of food here for two people, what the hell was I thinking?

103. poteen
    103 | November 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Kirly wrote:

@ poteen:
    / deliberately mean

Rubbing the lamp didn’t work out too well for him. :)

104. poteen
    104 | November 22, 2012 2:00 pm

@ poteen:
    Heh! Unless his wish was to be taller, thinner and have 72 girlfriends./////

105. 105 | November 22, 2012 2:03 pm

@ poteen:

Simply put, they’re pussies.

106. 106 | November 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Very chilling and it verifies the ancient alien theory.

It’s been a long time so I don’t remember all the individual book names, but one of the books is genuinely interesting and frightening. It describes a nuclear exchange between several of the floating cities and tell exactly where that exchange took place.

Over a desert region of the Indus Valley, currently the Pakistani border area with India. The exchange supposedly took place around 10,500 BC. What makes it frightening is that the desert in that area shows amazingly similar green glass clumping to the Arizona and Nevada nuclear test sites including markedly high background radiation levels.

107. 107 | November 22, 2012 2:06 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Oh gawd I have a lot of food here for two people, what the hell was I thinking?

Leftovers my friend, leftovers… :grin:

108 | November 22, 2012 2:10 pm

yeah..spooky, huh?

109. 109 | November 22, 2012 2:10 pm

doriangrey wrote:

Leftovers my friend, leftovers…

To be honest, I start fantasizing about leftover turkey sandwiches even before the original dinner. :D

110. 110 | November 22, 2012 2:10 pm

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5s0va6o-0

111. Dolphin
    111 | November 22, 2012 2:14 pm

@ heysoos:
    I am currently on the third book Running Blind. I too enjoy this series. I like the Ted Bell “Hawke” series also.

112. 112 | November 22, 2012 2:18 pm

What an absolutely delightful day here in Louisville! It seems a shame to spend it feasting and imbibing, but a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.

113. 113 | November 22, 2012 2:22 pm

yeah..spooky, huh?

Indeed, I’m fairly convinced myself that the sudden appearance of civilizations like Egypt, Harappa Civilization, and the Ancient Olmec of South America suggest that they were the heirs of a series of previously unidentified highly advanced civilizations whose ruins now lie under the coastal waters surrounding the major continents.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL7wDzBpOho&feature=related

I believe that much of modern science is suffering from the infallibility of the modern priesthood. Which is more precisely that many scientists having staked their reputations on their work, are unable to allow their works to be challenged.

114 | November 22, 2012 2:22 pm

it’s 60d here in Albuquerque, bright blue sky same as any other day…very quiet

115. 115 | November 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Archaeologist in that region discovered high radiation levels.

116. 116 | November 22, 2012 2:31 pm

it’s 60d here in Albuquerque, bright blue sky same as any other day…very quiet

Gawd I love Albuquerque, and AZ in general. It’s 68 here and only wisp of clouds. I have the table set and the windows open in the sunroom. A perfect day.

Sometimes everything’s just perfect, this is such a day.

117. eaglesoars
    117 | November 22, 2012 2:41 pm

doriangrey wrote:

WHAT are you people talking about? When I checked Amazon for the Mahabarata I found what looked to be an epic Indian poem rendered by multiple writers.

??????????????

118. 118 | November 22, 2012 2:49 pm

??????????????

The Mahabharata is one of India’s oldest and most sacred Vedic Text’s. It is an oral history of ancient Indian civilizations that was recited in the pentameter of anustup. It wasn’t committed to written form until the 17th century hence the reason it is usually misidentified as poetry rather than a transcribed oral history.

119. 119 | November 22, 2012 2:52 pm

Hey, I’m trying to be positive on this picture-perfect day, but geez, goddammed unions!

Better now, just had ta say that.

120. brookly red
    120 | November 22, 2012 2:57 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Better now, just had ta say that.

one word, Hostess…

hope you feel better now :)

121. 121 | November 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Here, watch this, it will shake up your beliefs about civilization… (no, it is not a conspiracy theory, this is 100 percent real archeology) The worlds archeological community currently does not dispute, but has no explanation for this.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQZFS9Hij0M&feature=related

122. brookly red
    122 | November 22, 2012 3:12 pm

doriangrey wrote:

someday in the future explorers will find Newark and call it the lost city of Christie…

123. Storagemanager
    123 | November 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Sharia anyone?

Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi issued a new constitutional declaration on Thursday in which he assumed sweeping powers that will not be subject to appeal.

And in a move likely to inflame a standoff with the country’s judiciary, he sacked prosecutor general Abdel Meguid Mahmoud, whom he failed to oust last month, appointing Talaat Ibrahim Abdallah to replace him.

“The constitutional declarations, decisions and laws issued by the president are final and not subject to appeal.”

He also said no judicial body can dissolve the Islamist-dominated constituent assembly that is writing a new constitution and which has been criticized by the secular-minded opposition for failing to represent all segments of society.

124. Storagemanager
    124 | November 22, 2012 3:18 pm

Mursi’s Decrees

A rundown of the main presidential decrees made in the announcement.

1. President announces that all decisions, laws and declarations passed by the president since taking office cannot be appealed or revoked by any authority, including the judicary.

2. President announces that Egypt’s constitution-drafting body and the Shura Council (uppper house of parliament) cannot be dissolved by any authority, including the judicary. In addition, the timeframe for drafting the constitution has been extended by two months, to eight months in total. The Constituent Assembly was due to hand in the final draft of Egypt’s national charter by the 5 December.

3. President announces the re-trial all those charged with killing or injuring protesters involved in revolutionary demonstrations since January 25 Revolution. In addition, all Mubarak-era officials responsible for terrorizing protesters will be retried.

4. President announces appointment of Talaat Ibrahim as prosecutor-general in place of Abdel-Meguid Mahmoud.

(Courtesy: Ahram Online)

Wider powers

But the constitutional amendments, which grant Mursi far-reaching powers, is likely to inflame a standoff with the country’s judiciary.

The decree protects an assembly writing the country’s new constitution from dissolution and gives it extra time to finish its work

125. Storagemanager
    125 | November 22, 2012 3:20 pm

Egypt’s Morsi grants himself far-reaching powers

Egypt’s Islamist leader decrees immunity for panel drafting new constitution from any possible court decisions to dissolve it; orders retrial of Hosni Mubarak regime leaders for killing of protesters during uprising. Opposition figure: ElBaradei: Morsi usurped all state powers, appointed himself Egypt’s ‘new pharaoh’

126. brookly red
    126 | November 22, 2012 3:20 pm

Storagemanager wrote:

“The president can issue any decision or measure to protect the revolution,” according to the constitutional declaration, read out on television by spokesman Yasser Ali. Robert Gibbs.

same shit different day…

127 | November 22, 2012 3:23 pm

cool vid, thanks…I’m one of those that believes humans are just now waking up to our ancient, yet to be discovered past…too bad I won’t live long enough to know whats under Antarctica….just imagine

128 | November 22, 2012 3:23 pm

@ MacDuff:
    SEIU, the vanguard of the proletariat.
    Obama’s shock troops.

129. eaglesoars
    129 | November 22, 2012 3:27 pm

doriangrey wrote:

first time I’ve heard of this and it’s chilling. 12K yrs? will do more reading, thanks dorian

130. rain of lead
    130 | November 22, 2012 3:30 pm

happy thanksgiving y’all
    from Momcat, the girl and I

131. brookly red
    131 | November 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Storagemanager wrote:

/what’s that? the NYT headline for January 1st?

132. rain of lead
    132 | November 22, 2012 3:31 pm

anybody else injrct their turkey with creole butter?

mmmm,mmmm good!

133. brookly red
    133 | November 22, 2012 3:33 pm

@ MacDuff:
    SEIU, the vanguard of the proletariat.
    Obama’s shock troops.

Comrade, I will trade you my meat ration coupon for your beer coupon? yes?

134 | November 22, 2012 3:36 pm

brookly red wrote:

@ MacDuff:
    SEIU, the vanguard of the proletariat.
    Obama’s shock troops.

Comrade, I will trade you my meat ration coupon for your beer coupon? yes?

Nyet Comrade, you toss in bread crust , yes?

135. brookly red
    135 | November 22, 2012 3:38 pm

brookly red wrote:

@ MacDuff:
    SEIU, the vanguard of the proletariat.
    Obama’s shock troops.

Comrade, I will trade you my meat ration coupon for your beer coupon? yes?

Nyet Comrade, you toss in bread crust , yes?

crust? I give you whole loaf for your cigarettes. final offer.

136. yenta-fada
    136 | November 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to the mockers and lurkers! It’s even warm in my igloo up here in the frozen North. :-) That’ll change.

137. rain of lead
    137 | November 22, 2012 3:42 pm

heh
    the moocher cat that comes by every once in a while came by and is
    now devouring the turkey scraps that where in my reg cats bowl

now she is licking it clean and looking at me as if to say

uhhhh, more?

damn
    that was a double handful of meat and it was gone in less than
    60 seconds

138 | November 22, 2012 3:43 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving to the mockers and lurkers! It’s even warm in my igloo up here in the frozen North. That’ll change.

and the same to you…
    bet your ac bills are cheap

139. brookly red
    139 | November 22, 2012 3:44 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

Yes! joyous Government Appreciation Day to you too Comrade!

140 | November 22, 2012 3:44 pm

@ brookly red:

crust? I give you whole loaf for your cigarettes. final offer

Da Comrade, ees deal!

141. 141 | November 22, 2012 3:45 pm

heysoos wrote:

Uh, Antarctica is a continent. What’s under it is the mantle, same as any other continent.

142. Guggi
    142 | November 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Storagemanager wrote:

Egypt’s Morsi grants himself far-reaching powers

Arab Spring/////

143. 143 | November 22, 2012 3:47 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Graham Hancock wrote about how the Sphinx and Pyramids may be around the same age. Built by human hands around the same time frame. Based upon erosion around the sphinx and astronomy.

144. eaglesoars
    144 | November 22, 2012 3:47 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

will do more reading, thanks dorian

found something

GMTA!

147. brookly red
    147 | November 22, 2012 3:50 pm

@ brookly red:

crust? I give you whole loaf for your cigarettes. final offer

Da Comrade, ees deal!

Deal! and joyous Governmental Appreciation day to you too!

148 | November 22, 2012 3:50 pm

Heading out to the relatives. Have a great Thanksgiving.

149. brookly red
    149 | November 22, 2012 3:51 pm

rain of lead wrote:

damn
    that was a double handful of meat and it was gone in less than
    60 seconds

Cat is union? Hah! wonderful country!

150. 150 | November 22, 2012 3:51 pm

@ heysoos:

Rocks.

151 | November 22, 2012 3:52 pm

the Lions only need to go upfield, kick afield goal to defeat the mighty 9-1 Texans….simple

152. brookly red
    152 | November 22, 2012 3:54 pm

PaladinPhil wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

and since the Jews left nothing has been built.

153. 153 | November 22, 2012 3:54 pm

doriangrey wrote:

Graham Hancock just happens to hold a nearly identical hypothesis as I do regarding human ancient history. Namely that it is older than the currently assumed 5000 years, and that because of the nature of human civilizations, being that they always arise around plentiful sources of water, that we are looking in the wrong places for the genuinely ancient civilizations.

Go back in time 10,500 years or more and because of the accumulation of ice (you have heard of the ice-ages right?) the coastlines were in a completely different place. In most places the coastlines were between 25 and 75 miles away from where they now are, 25 to 75 miles out in the ocean to be precise.

Us humans built the vast majority of our civilization right next to either the worlds oceans, or great rivers. As the oceans rose from glacial melt, the coastlines of 10,500 BC earth were submerged. Which, coincidentally is exactly where the ancient Harappa city “Krishna’s city” is being discovered. 25 miles off the coast and in 130 feet of water.

It is definitely what you would call, food for thought.

154. rain of lead
    154 | November 22, 2012 3:56 pm

@ brookly red:

yep union cat for sure

155 | November 22, 2012 3:56 pm

doriangrey wrote:

i have he mahabharata, containing the bhagavad gita (in stand alone book form), and then the ramayana to complete.

then its on to the epic of gilgamesh.

156. brookly red
    156 | November 22, 2012 3:58 pm

rain of lead wrote:

@ brookly red:

yep union cat for sure

perhaps you should bring it in for some free health care? :)

157. eaglesoars
    157 | November 22, 2012 4:03 pm

doriangrey wrote:

I just downloaded that puppy. Archeology has always fascinated me – I almost majored in it. I finally was able to overcome my mental fear of geometry because my teacher was also an archeologist and she showed me how to lay out a site. I didn’t know I was learning geometry.

I remember her saying something very similar – if you look at the timing of civilizations rise and fall on a global scale, something fishy there lies. It’s almost like they came out of nowhere.

I had almost forgotten about it. It was 45 yrs ago and if I thought she was still alive, I’d find her and show her this.

158 | November 22, 2012 4:07 pm

too bad I won’t live long enough to know whats under Antarctica….just imagine

Be glad you’re not around when the Shoggoths get loose.

159. 159 | November 22, 2012 4:10 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

too bad I won’t live long enough to know whats under Antarctica….just imagine
    Be glad you’re not around when the Shoggoths get loose.

What? He doesn’t live at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave right now?

160 | November 22, 2012 4:12 pm

doriangrey wrote:

What? He doesn’t live at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave right now?

Obama’s not a Shoggoth. He’s proud of his African heritage; he’s a regular Shaka Cthulhu.

161 | November 22, 2012 4:15 pm

boom shaka shaka shaka
    boom shaka shaka shaka…

it’s a half white thing

162 | November 22, 2012 4:16 pm

boom shaka shaka shaka
    boom shaka shaka shaka…

Given Obama’s manifest failings, I’d phrase that “boom shaka lacka lacka lacka…”

163. brookly red
    163 | November 22, 2012 4:16 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

doriangrey wrote:

What? He doesn’t live at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave right now?

he is the anti-christ, there I said it.

164. 164 | November 22, 2012 4:16 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    I read the Sphinx one about 12 or more years ago. Was big into alternate thought as well. Well, not too much alternate thought. I still didn’t go with the whole illuminati and aliens stuff.

165 | November 22, 2012 4:18 pm

it’s a half white thing

If you’re talking about Obama, I think you have an extra “h” and “e” in one of those words.

166. eaglesoars
    166 | November 22, 2012 4:21 pm

PaladinPhil wrote:

I still didn’t go with the whole illuminati and aliens stuff.

Wanna hear the strangest alien hypothesis I ever heard? You know who Francis Crick was, yes? He of DNA fame? He wrote a book – that I have somewhere around here – that it – or its precursor – got here from elsewhere via meteorite or something.

167 | November 22, 2012 4:22 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Wanna hear the strangest alien hypothesis I ever heard? You know who Francis Crick was, yes? He of DNA fame? He wrote a book — that I have somewhere around here — that it — or its precursor — got here from elsewhere via meteorite or something.

Such alien hypotheses are simply the atheist version of God creating man.

168 | November 22, 2012 4:23 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

he’s a regular Shaka Cthulhu.

he promises to eat YOU last!

169. 169 | November 22, 2012 4:27 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    I have heard of the panspermia theory. It makes a sort of sense in some areas.

170 | November 22, 2012 4:31 pm

showtime….Thanksgiving football
    Cowboys vs Redskins
    classic dude

171. eaglesoars
    171 | November 22, 2012 4:31 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

Such alien hypotheses are simply the atheist version of God creating man.

I have no idea what Crick’s religious beliefs were. However, as I believe the Creater was just that – of everything – I don’t see how this hypothesis is atheistic.

172 | November 22, 2012 4:35 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

I have no idea what Crick’s religious beliefs were. However, as I believe the Creater was just that — of everything — I don’t see how this hypothesis is atheistic.

It is atheistic because those who propose it do not believe in the existence of a Creator, and do an end run around the challenge questions of “how did DNA, and therefore life, arise?” and “even if you can create DNA—say, on the virus level—whence comes consciousness and a soul?” by saying, “Oh, DNA dropped from the skies.”

In short, they dismiss the existence of a Deity by positing, as a substitute, a deus ex machina in the form of something magically dropping in from outer space.

I could also point out that this is not that far from the Muslim veneration of the meteorite in the Ka’aba.

173 | November 22, 2012 4:35 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:
    Such alien hypotheses are simply the atheist version of God creating man.

why did god invent Muslims and cancer?

174 | November 22, 2012 4:37 pm

heysoos wrote:

why did god invent Muslims and cancer?

Ask Him.

175. Buckeye Abroad
    175 | November 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I held off– work and duties simply didn’t allow me time this year. I’m cooking a turkey for Christmas anyway.

Have a drumstick for me ;) and Go Buckeyes! The Game starts in 36 hours.

176. Calo
    176 | November 22, 2012 4:41 pm

heysoos wrote:

Gotta love the kicker for the mighty Texans!

177. eaglesoars
    177 | November 22, 2012 4:42 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

I respectfully disagree. I know that G-d IS – I just don’t indulge in the hubristic exercise of thinking I know how G-d accomplished the creation/life. I’ve never understood how Darwinian evolution is a threat to G-d as creator. How G-d did/does something is really up to G-d.

heysoos wrote:

why did god invent Muslims and cancer?

To keep me awake at night. Yes, it’s all about me. But you knew that.

:wink:

178. eaglesoars
    178 | November 22, 2012 4:44 pm

@ Buckeye Abroad:

Happy Thanksgiving Buckeye! We are quite contentedly stuffed to the gills and I think there’s a nap in my future.

179. brookly red
    179 | November 22, 2012 4:47 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:
    Such alien hypotheses are simply the atheist version of God creating man.

why did god invent Muslims and cancer?

they same reason he invented free will… think about that :)

180. 180 | November 22, 2012 4:49 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:
    It may be an “atheistic” conceit sure. Then there are all the deep space discoveries of building blocks of life in outer space. Who knows what plan god follows and how he works it?

181. yenta-fada
    181 | November 22, 2012 4:53 pm

An amazing vid about Freedom.

182 | November 22, 2012 5:05 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

I respectfully disagree. I know that G-d IS — I just don’t indulge in the hubristic exercise of thinking I know how G-d accomplished the creation/life. I’ve never understood how Darwinian evolution is a threat to G-d as creator. How G-d did/does something is really up to G-d.

Again—I’m not talking about your belief, or your understanding; I’m talking about how people who explicitly profess disbelief in a Creator try and do an end-run around the issue by looking to a deus ex machina, without realizing that they are simply kicking the can down the road.

183. brookly red
    183 | November 22, 2012 5:14 pm

But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Titus 3

184. eaglesoars
    184 | November 22, 2012 5:25 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

Oh, ok, got it.

Having heard several versions of this story, I suspect it’s apocryphal, but it has a point.

Bertrand Russell was giving a lecture about something or other and afterwards, an elderly lady approached him to say that he was quite wrong about something. The world was held up on the back of a giant turtle. Russell asked “And Madam, what is the turtle standing on?”

“Why another turtle!”

“And what is THAT turtle standing on”

The woman was triumphant. “It’s no use professor! It’s turtles all the way down!”

185. 185 | November 22, 2012 6:02 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

eaglesoars wrote:

Yea, I have read excerpts from Dr. Richard Dawkins book (wasn’t about to read the whole thing since Dawkins is a completely narcissistic arrogant asshole) “The God Delusion” where he makes the assertion that life is basically the result of an ancient super advanced alien civilization.

Basically the same argument, which, like eaglesoars said, amounts to “Turtles all the way down”…

186 | November 22, 2012 6:04 pm

the Skins RG3 is a BEAST!…
    probably the best rookie QB I’ve ever seen…
    he’s killing Dallas

187 | November 22, 2012 6:06 pm

He’s just Dawkin the issue.

188. eaglesoars
    188 | November 22, 2012 6:09 pm

heysoos wrote:

the Skins RG3 is a BEAST!…
    probably the best rookie QB I’ve ever seen…
    he’s killing Dallas

Dammit. I ALWAYS root for Dallas over the ‘skins. Just out of spite. The ‘skins fans, when I came to this area, thought their QB was fabulous.

He used hairspray.

Coming from the Steelers, in the days the QB was pretty much bald and really WAS a great QB, it was kinda sickening.

I’ve held it against them ever since.

Except for Art Monk, who is one of the finest examples of the species I’ve ever laid eyes on.

189 | November 22, 2012 6:12 pm

heysoos wrote:

the Skins RG3 is a BEAST!…
    probably the best rookie QB I’ve ever seen…
    he’s killing Dallas

He used hairspray.
    I’ve held it against them ever since.

if you ever beat Dallas, I hate you…I’m a simple fan
    imagine how much I hate the Steelers…you can’t

190. eaglesoars
    190 | November 22, 2012 6:17 pm

if you ever beat Dallas, I hate you…I’m a simple fan
    imagine how much I hate the Steelers…you can’t

Well, you must have loved this week’s game.

They miss Ben.

Everytime I see a Dallas fan around here – usually indicated by some insignia on the car – I make it a point to shake their hand. Just ‘cuz I hate the Redskins.

191. 191 | November 22, 2012 6:17 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

He’s just Dawkin the issue.

Well, personally I just figured he had been Dawkin his head in jello a tad bit to much… :razz:

192. brookly red
    192 | November 22, 2012 6:21 pm

guess you be hating a lot… yo Texas love your politics, hate your football.

193 | November 22, 2012 6:36 pm

FNC has been showing video messages from troops overseas today. The last few were recorded right outside the main dining facility at Camp Arifjan. That’s where I had my Thanksgiving dinner last year.

The food was actually pretty good, but I’m thankful that I’m not there anymore.