I wanna go home to the Armadillo.

by Bunk X ( 50 Comments › )
Filed under Humor, Open thread at December 1st, 2012 - 10:00 pm

“I Wanna Go Home To The Armadillo.”
Man that guy’s wife must be awful ugly, all scaly and stuff. Poke her and she rolls up into a thorny ball, but that ain’t none of my business.

I’ve heard that song so many times without knowing the words, let alone the source. It’s the theme song to Austin City Limits, performed by Gary P. Nunn and Jerry Jeff Walker. Oh, and by the way, unless you’re sporting functional longriders, y’all just look silly, especially yinz with the bullrider hats, unless you happen to have the legs and lunch (T&A) to go with it and are willing to share your photos on The Overnight Open Thread.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments

50 Responses to “I wanna go home to the Armadillo.”

1. whosoever
    1 | December 1, 2012 11:32 pm

America has the most awesome indigenous music -- country, cajun, jazz, soul, rock, …
    And I think it’s “go home with the armadillo — could be his wife (but I don’t think so)

2. Bordm
    2 | December 2, 2012 12:03 am

“The Armadillo World Headquarters” was a popular live music venue (Rock honky-tonk)in Austin, back in the 70′s. It was called “The Armadillo” or Dillo by the locals and folks that frequented the place. Great music and fun times.

3. Calo
    3 | December 2, 2012 12:20 am

“The English sense of humor is dryer than the Texas sand” has got to be my favorite line in this song.

4. 4 | December 2, 2012 12:30 am

@ whosoever:
    If I was married to an armadillo, I think I’d want to stay at the Kit Kat Club. If the rabbit-pangolin was a free bird, I certainly wouldn’t bring her home. The wife would be real pissed.

5. Calo
    5 | December 2, 2012 12:45 am

Over-The-Counter Birth Control Pills Backed By The American College Of Obstetricians And Gynecologists

Sandra Fluke has got to be choking over this “war on women” birth control meme.

An over the counter birth control pill is possible that needs no prescription, no insurance, no tax payer dollars.

6. Philip_Daniel
    6 | December 2, 2012 12:53 am

The former Kosovo PM Ramush Haradinaj’s wiki page was hacked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramush_Haradinaj

7. Philip_Daniel
    7 | December 2, 2012 12:53 am

@ Philip_Daniel:

It’s back to normal. Damn, I didn’t “print page” for posterity…

8. 8 | December 2, 2012 1:00 am

@ Calo:
    If she’d been choking all this time, she wouldn’t need birth control pills at all.

9. Calo
    9 | December 2, 2012 1:08 am

@ Bunk X:
    If this gets through the FDA red tape, then yes, Sandra Fluke has to pay out of pocket for her birth control.

Schadenfreude.

10. Philip_Daniel
    10 | December 2, 2012 1:20 am

@ Bunk X:
    @ Calo:

Just watch — Sandra Fluke will, undeservedly (needless to say), be picked as Time’s Person of the Year, not the deserving Malala Yusufzai.

Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out…

11. 11 | December 2, 2012 1:23 am

@ Calo:
    I think Sandra Fluke needs to divulge her own sexcapades before she can qualify for taxpayer subsidies. If she’s one of those women who are raped every 30 minutes, she might have a case, but she’s not that good looking.

12. 12 | December 2, 2012 1:25 am

@ Philip_Daniel:
    I had leftover Yusufzai last night. Glad to see you’re still lurking, PD.

13. whosoever
    13 | December 2, 2012 1:29 am

@ Bunk X:
    Obscure pangolin reference. I am really confused now because rabbits have no scales. I suppose if there must be scales, at least they’re warm-blooded.

14. 14 | December 2, 2012 1:33 am

@ whosoever:
    It’s a loose night for me. I used to play the pangolin, but the tuning and chords are odd.

15. Calo
    15 | December 2, 2012 1:35 am

@ Bunk X:
    Meh, she can do it on her own dime at drug store prices.
    It’ll cost her more now if this gets through the FDA.

And, I am still puzzled by her nomination as Time Person of the Year.

16. Calo
    16 | December 2, 2012 1:46 am

whosoever wrote:

@ Bunk X:

I blame you for Lily’ing the thread.

17. 17 | December 2, 2012 1:47 am

@ Calo:
    You want to talk about getting eaten by mountain rats instead?

18. whosoever
    18 | December 2, 2012 1:51 am

@ Calo:
    It’s OK to just say “lilling” the thread. It’s much easier.

19. 19 | December 2, 2012 1:54 am

@ whosoever:
    It used to have to do with someone named Davis. Davising happens. This thread is not Davised. Not yet.

20. Calo
    20 | December 2, 2012 1:55 am

@ Bunk X:
    Bah! We are just talking to ourselves and we are really not very interesting on a slow day on the innertubes.

Now, rev me up and put me down for the night Bunk.
    Frog Ball Style.

21. 21 | December 2, 2012 1:59 am

@ Calo:
    Lights are off, and there’s now a whirring noise in Calo’s boudoirness. Go figure.

22. 22 | December 2, 2012 2:11 am

Okay, she’s still dieseling, but she’s out. Let’s rock.

23. 23 | December 2, 2012 2:24 am

NOW the thread has been thoroughly and fully Davised. I blame whosoever.

24. Calo
    24 | December 2, 2012 2:34 am

@ Bunk X:
    Yep. A whosoever stranger lurks about some nights.

Call me paranoid, but who is whosoever and where did he go?

25. 25 | December 2, 2012 2:39 am

@ Calo:
    Crap. I thought you were out for the night. I was just about to lock up.

26. 26 | December 2, 2012 2:44 am

@ Calo:
    Dishes done, counter’s clean, cans crushed and recycled, floor’s mopped. What can I get you? How ’bout a gin and, um, gin?

27. Calo
    27 | December 2, 2012 2:46 am

@ Bunk X:
    Old habits die hard for the night shift crew.

Lock it up and get some sleep.

I’ll see you next Sunday on BTR chat.

28. 28 | December 2, 2012 3:01 am

@ Calo:

29. 29 | December 2, 2012 3:07 am

I went to the Armadillo World Headquarters once. The show was Pete Rowan with Flaco Jimenez and his Tex-Mex Accordian Band. The audience seemed to live exclusively on Lone Star, Jack Danials and dope.

30. 30 | December 2, 2012 3:10 am

@ Mike C.:

And remember that Freewheeling Franklin sez “Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope!”

I guess I’m showing my age…

31. 31 | December 2, 2012 3:18 am

@ Mike C.:
    Don’t diss De Flaco. Make fun of Doug Sahm and Augie Myers all you want, but don’t diss De Flaco.

32. 32 | December 2, 2012 3:36 am

I wasn’t -- it was pretty good music.

33. 33 | December 2, 2012 3:38 am

Calo wrote:

Sandra Fluke has got to be choking over this “war on women” birth control meme.

No, she’s choking on something else….

Yes, it’s called a late-model Pontiac Aztek! I keep seeing one of these in the neighborhood I live in, and I really should take a picture of it. At least it isn’t Government Motore Yellow!

34. 34 | December 2, 2012 4:13 am

@ Macker:

The Aztek design lives on. See the Toyota Pious…

35 | December 2, 2012 6:51 am

The indoctrination continues apace:

Christiane Amanpour to Host Series on History of Israel

36. 36 | December 2, 2012 7:54 am

Mike C. wrote:

@ Mike C.:

I guess I’m showing my age…

Ya know, I may still have some of those comics tucked away somewhere,,,,,

37 | December 2, 2012 8:03 am

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

Ya, I’m that old too…

38. 38 | December 2, 2012 8:18 am

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

Ya, I’m that old too…

I think the over-50 crowd is well-represented on this site.

39 | December 2, 2012 8:53 am

Eric Cantor denounces the Imperial Presidency. And the ensuing economic depression caused by “regime uncertainty.”

H/T InstaPundit

40. 40 | December 2, 2012 9:16 am

I wish I was just “over 50.”

41 | December 2, 2012 9:19 am

@StateFacts: In Pennsylvania it is illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors. #statefacts”

42. John Difool
    42 | December 2, 2012 9:26 am

Bumr50 wrote:

The indoctrination continues apace:
    Christiane Amanpour to Host Series on History of Israel

Who better to host a show about the history of Israel than a Jewish and Christian hating Iranian antisemite ?

They would have been better off going with Achmedinijad

43 | December 2, 2012 9:41 am

@ darkwords:

I don’t see anything about an ‘icebox’…

44. mawskrat
    44 | December 2, 2012 10:03 am

Good Mornin All….make it a great day

45. eaglesoars
    45 | December 2, 2012 10:08 am

good morning!

over the counter, inexpensive birth control has been available to everyone for years.

They’re called ‘condoms’

But Fluke is a liberal, Geotwn law student so she’s really too stupid to have figured out that part.

46. eaglesoars
    46 | December 2, 2012 10:17 am

See how easy this is? If your ethnicity is of a now protected class, you can manipulate ANYTHING into a hate-whitey narrative.

African American couple ‘ATTACKED in pizzeria by employees who were angry about Obama’s re-election’

A couple’s trip to a New York pizza place last week that erupted into racially-charged hate crime has resulted in a planned protest, a potential lawsuit and criminal charges.

According to reports, Willie and Alfie Marshall were visiting Paesano II Pizza in Greenlawn, New York last Saturday when a complaint about the food escalated into an all out brawl with blood spilled, and racial slurs hurled along with salt and pepper shakers.

Willie Marshall said it was the most shocking thing of his life.

‘He stomped me in my face and then he made a racial slur -- I don’t want to say it on the air, I don’t want to do that,’ Mr Marshall said, adding that a worker shouted, ‘This is for Obama.’

According to CBS, Mr Marshall and his wife Alfie Marshall had complained about a problem with their two slices of pizza.

The Marshalls said the employees refused to correct the problem or give them refund, and instead and began cursing and screaming racial slurs.

Why do I have my doubts?

47. 47 | December 2, 2012 10:35 am

@ eaglesoars:

I saw this story this morning. I don’t buy it either, not one bit.

48. eaglesoars
    48 | December 2, 2012 10:39 am

MacDuff wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

I saw this story this morning. I don’t buy it either, not one bit.

I’m hoping there are security cameras in that pizza place.

49. John Difool
    49 | December 2, 2012 11:34 am

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

H/T InstaPundit

Eric Cantor is so full of shit. Just last week he said he can’t be bothered to be concerned over his constituents desires to see taxes not get raised & is flirting on reneging on his Norquist pledge.

He’s all about helping the emperor get his new clothes.

50. 50 | December 2, 2012 11:52 am

eaglesoars wrote:

MacDuff wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

I saw this story this morning. I don’t buy it either, not one bit.

I’m hoping there are security cameras in that pizza place.

People who make false, public charges of racism should not only be charged with making a false complaint, they should also, at the very least, be charged with wanton endangerment. People have been killed and there’s bee extensive property damage in the past over these types of claims.