What was Mohamed Morsi smoking for breakfast?

by 1389AD ( 77 Comments › )
Filed under Egypt, Movies, Muslim Brotherhood, Open thread at December 4th, 2012 - 3:00 pm

And what on earth (I assume it’s earth) was this dude talking about?

Had this incoherent ramble appeared in a comment on 1389 Blog, we normally would have deleted it, as per our comment policy. As a rule, if we can’t figure out what something means, we don’t post it. But because these remarks were uttered in public by a head of state with Muslim Brotherhood connections…here they are.

Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi holds forth on ‘Planet of the Apes’

Mohamad Morsi as Pharaoh

Mohamed Morsi, the engineer and Muslim Brotherhood ally who became Egypt’s first-ever democratically elected president this year and who last week sent his country’s political system into chaos by granting himself sweeping new powers, appears to hold strong views on the 1968 science fiction film “Planet of the Apes.”

Morsi, in a lengthy interview with Time magazine, the transcript of which Time just posted online, abruptly transitioned from discussing the U.S.-Egypt relationship to the “Planet of the Apes” movie franchise. Morsi’s point seems to be about Egypt’s need to take responsibility for its own problems. Or maybe it’s about economic self-sufficiency. Or “the role of the art.” It’s really not clear. Here’s the leader of the Arab world’s most populous nation:

I remember a movie. Which one? Planet of the Apes. The old version, not the new one. There is new one. Which is different. Not so good. It’s not expressing the reality as it was the first one. But at the end, I still remember, this is the conclusion: When the big monkey, he was head of the supreme court, I think — in the movie! — and there was a big scientist working for him, cleaning things, has been chained there. And it was the planet of the apes after the destructive act of a big war, and atomic bombs and whatever in the movie. And the scientist was asking him to do something, this was 30 years ago: “Don’t forget you are a monkey.” He tells him, “Don’t ask me about this dirty work.” What did the big ape, the monkey say? He said, “You’re human, you did it [to] yourself.” That’s the conclusion. Can we do something better for ourselves?

I saw it 30 years ago. That is the role of the art. This is the very important role of art. Gone with the Wind has been treating social problems. Five in Hell. That was the Arabic title. Five Americans working behind German lines and they were using primitive military devices. I think it was Charles Bronson or something like that. My hard disk still carries a few things!

[...]
Update: New York Times Lede blogger Robert Mackey digs in to the Planet of the Apes script to try to untangle Morsi’s metaphor. Two important findings: First, as Mackey writes, it’s “difficult to say which scene, in particular, the president was misremembering.” Second, Morsi’s identification of “the big monkey” as a supreme court chief is even more ironic given that no such character exists in the film. Morsi, it appears, just has judges on the brain.

*Facepalm*…Facepalm smiley

Tags: ,

Comments

77 Responses to “What was Mohamed Morsi smoking for breakfast?”

1 | December 4, 2012 3:10 pm

This is how radical muslims educate themselves. B movies.

2. 2 | December 4, 2012 3:14 pm

He was smoking hash.

3. eaglesoars
    3 | December 4, 2012 3:16 pm

Leave it to the NYT to actually check the script……..

4 | December 4, 2012 3:21 pm

Hey, he’s fine. Give more foreign aid.

5 | December 4, 2012 3:26 pm

He was smoking hash.

Choomin’ with Barry.

6. eaglesoars
    6 | December 4, 2012 3:30 pm

He was smoking hash.

That good huh?

I want some.

7. 7 | December 4, 2012 3:31 pm

@ darkwords:

Sorry dude, but that movie was hardly B. It was hugely popular in 1968, (yes I was around and cognizant then,) and it had some of the biggest names in Hollywood at the time behind it and in it. Based on a Pierre Boulle novel, the movie stood out as one of the top Science Fiction movies of that period.

That being said, this man Mosri is clearly insane, which makes him the quintessential symbolic leader for the Middle East. The whole world would have been better off had we here in America backed Hosni Mubarak.

8. 8 | December 4, 2012 3:37 pm

Flyovercountry wrote:

Barack Obama will back him for Caliph of the whole shooting match. I think the best we can hope for from Egypt is that it decay into a hell-hole like Somolia with feuding war-lords starving the population. It’ll suck to be them, but they won’t be a threat to Israel or anywhere else. What is probably more likely, though, is another terrorist state like Gaza, where the people are still starving, but they are a threat around the region.

9. 9 | December 4, 2012 3:40 pm

Hamas is Muslim Brotherhood. The Egyptian branch is the big daddy.

10. 10 | December 4, 2012 3:41 pm

Mosri had to flee the palace within the past couple of hours. Clearly the Muslim Brotherhood miscalculated their hold on power, and perhaps declaring himself to be a dictator was a tad premature. He should have read more about how the Iranians did it. They took two years to consolidate ultimate power and had plenty of foreign hostility to deflect attention.

11. 11 | December 4, 2012 3:54 pm

@ Flyovercountry:

They’re impatient. They want their Islamic Shari’ia hell-hole and they want it now. Obama has signalled that he is quite content to let them have it, so who are these little people standing in the way of progress?

12. eaglesoars
    12 | December 4, 2012 4:04 pm

I just discoverd something.

You can leave a Bic lighter in a pant pocket, put it thru the washer and dryer, and it still works.

13. citizen_q
    13 | December 4, 2012 4:08 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

I just discoverd something.

Glad you did not find out that the dryer was too much heat the hard way.

Sorry don’t know the code for the surprised emoticon.

15 | December 4, 2012 4:26 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

I just discoverd something.

I responded to you on the previous thread about Hungary and World War II aerial bombing. (Comments 37 and 38.)

15. 16 | December 4, 2012 4:30 pm

Normally I would shrug off the Pew Center and WaPo but Rasmussen is finding the same thing. But in this case I’m thinking the MSM is to blame on the urging of the narrative. What the average voter has heard is that poor Barack offered a detailed plan and the Senate Republicans laughed at him and then the GOP offered a plan that didn’t raise taxes on the rich.

The MSM is not forthcoming in saying that Obama has offered only spending, more spending, and tax increases that will kill the economy, with no cuts and giving himself extraordinary power to raise the debt ceiling unilaterally; in short, a plan that was unworkable. But all that mattered to the MSM was that the GOP was mean to Barry and he won the election….

16. 17 | December 4, 2012 4:39 pm

Guggi wrote:

Republicans losing ‘fiscal cliff’ blame game, new poll finds

Imagine my surprise! Between the sycophants in the media and the abject ignorance of the American people, we couldn’t win a debate in the court of public opinion if we were arguing against childhood leukemia and the Democrats were arguing for it.

17. 18 | December 4, 2012 4:40 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

I just discoverd something.

You’re lucky, I always dry clean mine. ;)

18. 19 | December 4, 2012 4:45 pm

@ MacDuff:

I do, too. Following manufacturer’s label directions.

19. citizen_q
    20 | December 4, 2012 4:55 pm

O/T These stories about the NHS failures in the UK really push my buttons. The people pushing to nationalize our healthcare admire the NHS. I like how the hospital offered to investigate after the patient died. It sounds to me like the disingenuous calls by comrade zero and klinton after Benghazi.
    My husband died like a battery hen: MP Ann Clwyd describes her husband’s treatment at the hands of the NHS

An MP has described how her husband was treated with ‘coldness, resentment, indifference and contempt’ by staff as he lay dying in hospital.

Ann Clwyd said she arrived on the ward at University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff to find her husband, Owen Roberts, lying on the bed, cold and distressed, with just two thin sheets to cover him.

‘I have tried in the past to get Bills on the welfare of battery hens. My husband died like a battery hen,’ the MP for Cynon Valley told BBC Radio 4’s The World At One.

‘He is 6ft 2ins, he was squashed up against the iron bars of the bed, an oxygen mask that didn’t fit his face, his eye was infected and, because the air from the oxygen was blowing into it, his lips were very dry and I used my own Lypsil to try and moisten them. There were no nurses around.

‘At eight o’clock, just before he died, all the lights in the ward went on and somebody shouted “Anybody for breakfast?”. It was obviously totally inappropriate when they knew somebody was dying in that ward. I really do feel he died of cold and he died from people who didn’t care.

‘I can’t believe anybody calling themselves a nurse could let that happen. Nobody should have to die in conditions like I saw my husband die in.’

Ms Clwyd said she was speaking out so that other people should not have to suffer in the same way.

‘I think it is just too commonplace, this kind of thing,’ she said.

Ms Clwyd, who became an MP in 1984 following a career in journalism and as an MEP, was also on the Royal Commission on the NHS from 1976 to 1979.

In a statement to the programme, the hospital’s executive director of nursing, Ruth Walker, said they had offered to meet Ms Clwyd so that a formal investigation into what happened could be launched.

Investigations don’t bring back the dead.

20. Guggi
    21 | December 4, 2012 4:57 pm

@ Carolina Girl:

That’s why the only reasonable answer is: let him his will and vote “present”

21. 22 | December 4, 2012 5:07 pm

@ Guggi:

Exactly. Ideally we’ll get a veto-proof majority in 2014. I’m convinced that many voters were sending a 2006 message to Boehner with the loss of seats in 2012.

22. 23 | December 4, 2012 5:10 pm

I am so effing sick of the hyperbole of this Circus Clown. Just ONCE I’d like to see a random act of journalism on the part of the MSM and take him to task for bulls**t statements like this:

The most important thing we can do for national security, though, is to get our economy on track,” Obama said in the interview.

23. Buffalobob
    24 | December 4, 2012 5:12 pm

Cell phones need the technology of Bic lighters.

24. 25 | December 4, 2012 5:14 pm

@ citizen_q:

These stories are becoming pretty frequent, why anyone would think it’ll be different here is beyond me. After all, “American Exceptionalism” is so passé these days. :|

25. eaglesoars
    26 | December 4, 2012 5:20 pm

Obama Your Bitch Is Our Dictator

h/t Instapundit

Speranza wrote:

Saw it -- there’s much I want to say but I can’t quite put it together under current circumstances (I’m disconnecting the phone, the doorbell and email) -- thank you I’ll get back to you _ I did email myself the link

ok gotta go

26. citizen_q
    27 | December 4, 2012 5:22 pm

@ MacDuff:
    As is the sanctity of life.

27. 28 | December 4, 2012 5:22 pm

@ Carolina Girl:

From that very piece:

“We are in a very strong position. As I travel around the world, it’s fascinating; European leaders, Asian leaders, they all say to me, America is actually poised to be the world leader for another century—if we can fix some of this political dysfunction,” he continued”

Yeah, right. It would be laughable if it wasn’t so damned scary.

28. 29 | December 4, 2012 5:26 pm

citizen_q wrote:

@ MacDuff:
    As is the sanctity of life.

Indeed. We’ve been devaluing life for decades, now we’re getting a health care system that codifies that reduction in value…..funny how it all fits together, like a macabre puzzle. Margaret Sanger would be so pleased.

30 | December 4, 2012 5:39 pm

OT -- Not sure if this has been linked here today, but it’s DEFINITELY worth the read.

Ruminations of a Reaganite

30. Tanker
    31 | December 4, 2012 6:06 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

OT — Not sure if this has been linked here today, but it’s DEFINITELY worth the read.
    Ruminations of a Reaganite

Rather good article. I was all eyes for this guy until I got to page 3 and read the following:

“I taught a class at Eureka College on Reagan’s campaigns, talked a lot with friends such as Chuck Todd and Joe Scarborough and Shannon Bream and gave innumerable interviews and speeches as an historian and Reagan biographer.”

With friends such as old Joe, I would have to question is knowledge of how to fix things. Hasn’t been listening to the guy lately.

31. yenta-fada
    32 | December 4, 2012 6:08 pm

MacDuff wrote:

@ Carolina Girl:

From that very piece:

Yeah, right. It would be laughable if it wasn’t so damned scary.

Exactly. The sound of crickets when he blathers this big lie is even scarier.

32. 33 | December 4, 2012 6:15 pm

He’ll probably be back….

(al-Reuters) -- Egyptian police battled thousands of protesters outside President Mohamed Mursi’s palace in Cairo on Tuesday, prompting the Islamist leader to leave the building, presidency sources said.
    Officers fired teargas at up to 10,000 demonstrators angered by Mursi’s drive to hold a referendum on a new constitution on December 15. Some broke through police lines around his palace and protested next to the perimeter wall.
    The crowds had gathered nearby in what organizers had dubbed “last warning” protests against Mursi, who infuriated opponents with a November 22 decree that expanded his powers. “The people want the downfall of the regime,” the demonstrators chanted.
    “The president left the palace,” a presidential source, who declined to be named, told Reuters. A security source at the presidency also said the president had departed.
    Mursi ignited a storm of unrest in his bid to prevent a judiciary still packed with appointees of ousted predecessor Hosni Mubarak from derailing a troubled political transition.
    Facing the gravest crisis of his six-month-old tenure, the Islamist president has shown no sign of buckling under pressure.
    Riot police at the palace faced off against activists chanting “leave, leave” and holding Egyptian flags with “no to the constitution” written on them. Protesters had assembled near mosques in northern Cairo before marching towards the palace.

34 | December 4, 2012 6:26 pm

Morsi has a death with…that subconscience desire to have his virgins…
    fine by me…you piss off the wrong people and they’ll kill you…BO should take note

34. 36 | December 4, 2012 6:34 pm

@ MacDuff:

By “political dysfunction” I assume he means “not getting my way.”
    It’s nice to know I’m still fluent in liberal euphemism.

35. 37 | December 4, 2012 6:35 pm

OT, but it’s slow…

Great line seen on Twitter:

Guns are nothing but simple tools. Come to think of it, so are Bob Costas and Jason Whitlock.

I just had to pass that one on.

36. 38 | December 4, 2012 6:36 pm

From ZIP — Bizarro World — now with more Bizarro….

Meanwhile, according to polling by CNN, registered voters oppose Obamacare by a margin of 10 points — 52 to 42 percent. Independents like Obamacare even less, opposing it by a margin of 22 points — 57 to 35 percent. Clearly, voters didn’t think they were ratifying Obamacare when they pulled the lever for Obama.

Then why the hell did you vote for him to be re-elected you assholes?

37. song_and_dance_man
    39 | December 4, 2012 6:40 pm

He probably cheered at the end of the movie when Taylor finds the head of the statue of Liberty

38. 40 | December 4, 2012 6:41 pm

I hate to tell people this -- you can obtain a subpoena for anything. The other side can file a motion to quash. And methinks that’s exactly what the Fraud in Chief is going to do.

There has been much controversy surrounding President Barack Obama’s citizenship; and speculation that his Occidental College transcripts will provide proof of foreign citizenship, based on the application and receipt of a ‘non-US citizen’ scholarship to study in the U.S.

Dr. Orly Taitz, Esquire has secured a subpoena, from the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, to obtain the following from the Records Custodian at Occidental College:

1) All records related to Barack Hussein Obama, II, also known as Barack Hussein Obama, including, without limitation, application for admission and transcripts.

2) All records related to Barry Soetoro including, without limitation, application for admission and transcripts.

While there’s a little part of me that would love to show that Jerk the Wonder Prez was a fraud and a liar, please, Orly, for the love of all that’s holy, give it the eff up already.

39. 41 | December 4, 2012 6:43 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

And does Morsi expect to find Muslims on Earth circa 3959 AD? This too takes place in the future…you know, just like Star Trek in that way!

40. song_and_dance_man
    42 | December 4, 2012 6:46 pm

@ Macker:

More like a zombie movie.

41. 43 | December 4, 2012 6:47 pm

Carolina Girl wrote:

Then why the hell did you vote for him to be re-elected you assholes?

What we didn’t see coming, all the way back to ’08, was that Obama is the fulfillment of Marshall McLuhan’s “The Medium is the Message”. It was never about what it was going to do, it was about who he is (or, more succinctly, who they think he is) therefore, it’s impossible for him to be considered a failure.

Apropos McLuhan, he’s not a messenger at all, he’s the message. He’s the sum total of everything bad about advertising and politics.

42. yenta-fada
    44 | December 4, 2012 7:03 pm

Carolina Girl wrote:

@ MacDuff:

By “political dysfunction” I assume he means “not getting my way.”
    It’s nice to know I’m still fluent in liberal euphemism.

“Dubious Achievement Award” :-)

45 | December 4, 2012 7:16 pm

@ Carolina Girl:

I agree….at this point to uncover that BO is an imposter would be a national disaster….that part is over

44. 46 | December 4, 2012 7:28 pm

BTW -@ heysoos:

Orly ran for the Republican candidacy for Attorney General back in 2010. All her other Republican opponents had to do was bring up her obsession with the birther issue. She was going to speak at our TEA Party rally in April 2010 (before the primary) but was “uninvited” when the organizers were seriously worried that she’d do nothing but speak on Obama’s birth certificate and that’s all the local Bay Area TV stations would show.

I don’t think she was seriously missed except for my friend who also sees the Black Helicopters (I can take him in small doses. REAL small doses).

47 | December 4, 2012 7:35 pm

@ Carolina Girl:
    I’ve simply become unattached…I keep up a bit and still vote, but my heart is not in it…I am thoroughly dejected…I am disabled, trying to appear destitute, dodging the IRS and now four more years of this freakshow…I’m running out of energy…I’m stupified at events…I have to take care of myself and help protect my children…nothing surprises me and I’m trying to get ready for the worst…birth certs are not on my radar

48 | December 4, 2012 7:39 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

Really?
    Officials rename Walter Reed cancer center for the late Rep. Jack Murtha

hopefully it has a ‘haditha marine’ memorial wing in it.

47. 49 | December 4, 2012 7:39 pm

There should be a musical, Springtime for Morsi in Tah-rir. This stuff just writes itself.. just like the self-writing billion dollar checks to the Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas.

48. 50 | December 4, 2012 7:41 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

EXactly! All the while secretly lusting after Nova, Charlton Heston’s girlfriend.

49. Prebanned
    51 | December 4, 2012 7:41 pm

Carolina Girl wrote:

From ZIP — Bizarro World — now with more Bizarro….
    Then why the hell did you vote for him to be re-elected you assholes?

That is your low-information voter, if the dims ever got rid of us, society would consist of the smarter evil dims and people who would sell thier kids souls for a free phone.

50. Calo
    52 | December 4, 2012 7:42 pm

OT (as if I am ever on topic)

Lily had her heart cath today.

Need bypass surgery on Thursday. :sad:

She’ll take all the prayers she can get, if you are so inclined.

53 | December 4, 2012 7:44 pm

Calo wrote:

OT (as if I am ever on topic)
    Lily had her heart cath today.
    Need bypass surgery on Thursday.
    She’ll take all the prayers she can get, if you are so inclined.

oh my!

is she having CABG?

52. Prebanned
    54 | December 4, 2012 7:45 pm

@ Calo:
    Sent, Thank God She is getting the treatment She needs.

53. Calo
    55 | December 4, 2012 7:47 pm

1 100% occlusion and 2 95% occlusions.

56 | December 4, 2012 7:48 pm

Calo wrote:

1 100% occlusion and 2 95% occlusions.

jeeze…she’ll fell 1000% better after the surgery tho.

55. Calo
    57 | December 4, 2012 7:49 pm

occlusion = blockage.

Sorry for the medical lingo.

56. Prebanned
    58 | December 4, 2012 7:49 pm

@ Calo:
    Ouch, She was in bad trouble.

59 | December 4, 2012 7:50 pm

they have figured out the heart…Lily will do just fine

58. 60 | December 4, 2012 7:51 pm

@ Calo:

I have a rosary blessed by Pope Benedict a friend has brought me back from Rome. I will say one for Lily.

59. Dolphin
    61 | December 4, 2012 7:51 pm

@ Calo:
    Thanks for the update. Send her my love and prayers (I’ll send her an E-mail also). Does she have someone who can be with her?

I owe you an E-mail/phone call also. Year end at work is crazy.

What is the recovery?

60. citizen_q
    62 | December 4, 2012 7:52 pm

@ Calo:
    Of course!

I hope your surgery goes well!

61. 63 | December 4, 2012 7:52 pm

@ Calo:
    Prayers up.

62. Calo
    64 | December 4, 2012 7:56 pm

heysoos wrote:

they have figured out the heart…Lily will do just fine

Thank you haysoos.

I did spend some years in the hospital fluffing pillows and emptying bedpans, er, or something like taking care of post op CABG patients in an ICU for 20 years.

I’ll probably drag my sorry self out there on Saturday to fluff her pillows up. You are welcome to take care of the bedpan if you want to join me.

63. citizen_q
    65 | December 4, 2012 7:56 pm

@ citizen_q:
    Oops sorry, I miss-read your comment.

64. livefreeor die
    66 | December 4, 2012 7:58 pm

Calo wrote:

OT (as if I am ever on topic)
    Lily had her heart cath today.
    Need bypass surgery on Thursday.
    She’ll take all the prayers she can get, if you are so inclined.

Wow-I’m glad they caught it and can take care of it quickly. I’m sending lots of prayers her way. Anything we can do for the family?

67 | December 4, 2012 7:58 pm

Dolphin wrote:

What is the recovery?

ask calo, the cardiac nurse…

66. Dolphin
    68 | December 4, 2012 8:04 pm

@ Calo:
    I just offered her the same via E-mail.

Where are you at? North, south, east or west?

69 | December 4, 2012 8:04 pm

Calo wrote:

heysoos wrote:

they have figured out the heart…Lily will do just fine
    Thank you haysoos.

no thanks…I was a nurse once
    but…
    if it has to be done I’ll do it…I’d do anything to support my patients…I was written up more than once for insubordination

68. Calo
    70 | December 4, 2012 8:06 pm

@ heysoos:
    I’m just razzing you haysoos.

@ Dolphin:

West end, land of Sugar Cane.
    But, I’m in Houston a few days a week.

And, Lily should be out of the hospital 4-5 days after her surgery.

69. 71 | December 4, 2012 8:07 pm

New Thread

72 | December 4, 2012 8:12 pm

Calo wrote:

OT (as if I am ever on topic)

Lily had her heart cath today.

Need bypass surgery on Thursday.

She’ll take all the prayers she can get, if you are so inclined.

Sorry to hear of Calo’s condition. She’ll be in my prayers. I’ve known several people who have had bypass and they felt so much better after the recovery. Please wish her well for me when you see her.

71. 73 | December 4, 2012 8:42 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

Don’t be Stupid…Be a Smarty!
    Come and join the MoBros Party!

72. Philip_Daniel
    74 | December 4, 2012 9:08 pm

Of course, Morsi loves Gone With the Wind because he admires the slave-holding Confederacy.

73. 75 | December 5, 2012 11:56 am

Carolina Girl wrote:

I hate to tell people this — you can obtain a subpoena for anything. The other side can file a motion to quash. And methinks that’s exactly what the Fraud in Chief is going to do.

The media and the educational system are both under enemy control and will be for the foreseeable future, so we cannot reach most of the potential voters. But then, when elections can be stolen at will, it longer matters how we can persuade our fellow citizens subjects to “vote.” And it hardly matters what court cases you can introduce when the entire judicial system is corrupt.

We no longer have a republic -- only the hollow shell of one that goes through the motions of observing some of the rituals.

The first three boxes of liberty are no longer ours. The fourth one had better not be empty.

74. 76 | December 5, 2012 12:03 pm

Philip_Daniel wrote:

I doubt that, considering that in the Confederacy, slaves were allowed to go to church if they wanted to. In present-day Egypt, shari’a is being implemented, Christians are being persecuted, and churches are being destroyed.

75. 77 | December 5, 2012 12:07 pm