Caturday meets Santa Claus

by 1389AD ( 80 Comments › )
Filed under Caturday, Open thread at December 15th, 2012 - 7:00 pm

With thanks to Johanna:

Cat: Santa huh? Tell me more about the man who breaks into your house and leaves you presents

Cat: Christmas tree O Christmas tree, Your ornaments are history!

Cat: If Santa doesn't come down the chimney in the next 10 minutes, I'm drinking the milk, licking the cookies, and going to bed!

Kitten: Santa's not real? Cat: NO.

Hey, cats, meet the REAL ‘Santa Claus’. Tons of information here!

Tags: ,

Comments

80 Responses to “Caturday meets Santa Claus”

1. Brick
    1 | December 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Cats are the reason we have a small artificial tree with minimal lights, and NO tinsel. (I LOVE, well LOVED tinsel.) :(

I got tired of Mrs. Brick during the holidays, “Honey – what’s that sticking out of the cats’ butts?”

Me: “It’s tinsel, dear.”

Her: “Shouldn’t we do something?!”

Me: “I can set out a strand of lights for them to eat and we could plug ‘em in. That would look a LOT more festive than just tinsel, wouldn’t it?”

Her: “You’re an [insert playful derogatory noun here.]”

Me: “Santa doesn’t like it when you talk like that, bebbe.”

2. 2 | December 15, 2012 8:02 pm

@ Brick:
    it’s good you eliminated the tinsel. it can kill the kitties!

3. 3 | December 15, 2012 8:04 pm

I’m baking Lavender Lemon Cookies. They smell fantastic. I bet Santa leaves me the best presents after tasting these delicious little treasures.

4. Brick
    4 | December 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Kirly wrote:

@ Brick:
    it’s good you eliminated the tinsel. it can kill the kitties!

I’ll bet if we’d have gotten Dobermans like I wanted instead of kittens like SHE wanted – we’d still be buying real trees, with real tinsel. :(

5. Brick
    5 | December 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Kirly wrote:

Hopefully, they’re better than the presents our kitties leave after eating tinsel. :)

6. 6 | December 15, 2012 8:07 pm

@ Brick:
    LOL probably!

7. 7 | December 15, 2012 8:10 pm

@ Brick:
    hahah! yes, having had three kitties at once, i can definitely say these cookies are better than those other kinds of treasures!

8. 8 | December 15, 2012 8:12 pm

I went to see The Hobbit yesterday. It was fantastic. Can’t imagine a better first part of the prequel to Lord of the Rings.

9 | December 15, 2012 8:28 pm

Kirly wrote:

@ Brick:
    it’s good you eliminated the tinsel. it can kill the kitties!

Sounds like natural selection in action…

10. 10 | December 15, 2012 8:43 pm

naw, i don’t think tinsel is naturally occuring and if it does occur in nature, i don’t believe it’s terribly common – and by tinsel i mean tiny, sharp, threads of metal.

btw, these Lavender Lemon Cookies are quite good. Santa will love my house! I got the Lactose free milk too.

11. 11 | December 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Miracle on 34th Street on AMC

12. 12 | December 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Where is everybody??

13 | December 15, 2012 10:27 pm

@ 12 1389AD: on and off tonight.

14 | December 15, 2012 10:30 pm

We grew up poor and would cut our own tree. Then decorate it with cranberries and popcorn. We had some tinsel we recycled every year that grandma gave us. Pine cone ornaments with ribbons. However every christmas seemed like a rich experience. Full of love and excitement and carols and church and snow and such. Toboggan runs at midnight under moon light with hot chocolate.

Plates of cookies and milk mysteriously disappearing on Christmas night.

15 | December 15, 2012 10:32 pm

My mom was telling that in the depression the government would send out boxes of peaches and the paper used to wrap them was a luxury item everywhere. People used it as an upgrade to coarse TP.

16 | December 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Christmas in Germany is different than here. Less commercial. The trees only have white lights which were candles at one time I think. I have a good luck pickle ornament.

17. AZfederalist
    17 | December 15, 2012 10:42 pm

@ darkwords:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Our Christmases were very similar.

18. 18 | December 15, 2012 11:13 pm

Kirly wrote:

I just got back from seeing it this evening. I couldn’t agree with you more!

19. 19 | December 15, 2012 11:35 pm

@ Macker:
    excellent! glad you liked it. I saw it at the Cine Capri. I figure if it’s worth it to see it in a theatre, go big. Biggest screen in the state and an unbelievable sound system.

AZfederalist wrote:

@ darkwords:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Our Christmases were very similar.

I’m glad you both shared too. my siblings tell me that our Xmas was nice when i was really little. everything kind of went to hell at our house after i was about 4 or 5 and that’s exactly how i remember it. i do remember the aluminum tree tho. hated it then. wish i had it now.

20. AZfederalist
    20 | December 15, 2012 11:46 pm

@ Kirly:

May your current and future Christmases be merry and filled with good memories Kirly.

21. 21 | December 15, 2012 11:54 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

@ Kirly:

thank you! may yours as well. these days i go visit the last remaining relative on my dad’s side, my 85 year old uncle. it’s not fun but someone has to make sure the geezers are looked after. we’re having honey baked ham this year. yummy.

22. 22 | December 16, 2012 12:07 am

@ Macker:

We’ll be seeing ‘Hobbit’ next Sat. in IMax. A friend is the projectionist at our local theater.

No Christmas tree for us, fake or real. We’ve got WAY too many furballs that’d send it through the front window with one of their mad dash-and-leap moves.

23. 23 | December 16, 2012 1:26 am

Actually, I’m not certain you can even buy real metal tinsel any more in the US. I sure haven’t seen any in decades. The old stuff was mostly lead. The new crap is mylar, and doesn’t hang right without a lot of fussing with each individual strand. Never use it.

24. 24 | December 16, 2012 2:11 am

As for “flocking” I use Barbasol.

25. 25 | December 16, 2012 2:12 am

Lasts about as long as the Christmas party does.

26. Guggi
    26 | December 16, 2012 2:55 am

The first christmas tree in Vienna was arranged 1814 by Fanny von Arnstein a Jewish society lady.

Today christmas trees keep up with the latest fashion in colors and decoration. I like the traditional rural christmas trees decorated with real candles (only outdoors), real small red apples, golden and silver nuts, gingerbread and straw stars most.

27. Guggi
    27 | December 16, 2012 2:58 am

Germans invented the christmas tree in the U.S.A. First was prof. Karl Follen in Harvard.

28. Guggi
    28 | December 16, 2012 3:04 am

Traditional Christmas song. The pictures you see are from Salzburg/Austria.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VcDms_tI40

29. 29 | December 16, 2012 3:07 am

Salzburg – a town well worth a visit, IMHO.

30. Guggi
    30 | December 16, 2012 3:29 am

Advent in Salzburg

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_sQMLoe9KQ

31. Guggi
    31 | December 16, 2012 3:50 am

Mike C. wrote:

Salzburg — a town well worth a visit, IMHO.

Yup, did you visit “Schloß Hellbrunn” the summer residence of the archbishops (Salzburg had been governed by archbishops till 1815)

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mbHMYHmQoQ&playnext=1&list=PL94CD82C4300D833F&feature=results_main

32. 32 | December 16, 2012 4:10 am

Why yes, we did. Lots to see in that town.

33. Guggi
    33 | December 16, 2012 4:28 am

Mike C. wrote:

Why yes, we did. Lots to see in that town.

Not only in the town but in the countryside too. The old city with her Celtic origins but also the landscape surrounding Salzburg (county of Salzburg) with natural wonders like the “Eisriesenwelt” the largest ice cave in the world to reach only one hour (or less) from the city (btw: this is also a great area for skiing)

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUvkW6zSDs8

34. Guggi
    34 | December 16, 2012 4:37 am

Werfen with the “Eisriesenwelt”

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo_-_ebEMnI

35. 35 | December 16, 2012 4:37 am

Not very far from the “Eagle’s Nest” across the border, either. And I think it was only about an hour and a half drive fom Munchen, too.

36. Guggi
    36 | December 16, 2012 5:02 am

I really like Bill Whittle

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuL41ohlfZY

37. 37 | December 16, 2012 8:03 am

Mike C. wrote:

You are correct that it’s not metal and doesn’t hang right at all but it’s still dangerous to the kitties.

38. 38 | December 16, 2012 8:22 am

A society in decline chooses not to defend itself.
    I will be surprised if soldiers re-enlist in the future if that idiocy stands.

39. 39 | December 16, 2012 8:23 am

@ Kirly:

We don’t use tinsel, and we only uses plastic, shatter-resistant ornaments. We decorate the trees and the cats undecorate them. We have one cat (Hope) that likes to climb the trees. This would be bad enough, but she is a fat cat. She weighs 13 1/2 pounds. The tree branches weren’t made to take that much weight, so they bend. BUt we love out kitties! It wouldn’t be the same without them.

40. 40 | December 16, 2012 8:47 am

Sounds like my house back in the day of three young cats and a Xmas tree!

41. mawskrat
    41 | December 16, 2012 9:14 am

I was working in my basement a few weeks ago and
    had the door open when a cat wondered in. told the
    cat you best get outa here before the dogs figure
    out you’re down here.

42. 42 | December 16, 2012 9:48 am

mawskrat wrote:

I was working in my basement a few weeks ago and
    had the door open when a cat wondered in. told the
    cat you best get outa here before the dogs figure
    out you’re down here.

so, did the cat look up at you with disdain and then flop on the nearest soft surface like s/he owned the place? :-)

43. 43 | December 16, 2012 9:49 am

the commenting seems exceptionally light this weekend. where is everyone? are they all at hanukah events? where are the rest? did i miss something??

44. mawskrat
    44 | December 16, 2012 9:55 am

@ Kirly:

Been doing my Kwanzaa shopping/

45. 45 | December 16, 2012 10:07 am

mawskrat wrote:

@ Kirly:

Been doing my Kwanzaa shopping/

omg. i’m on the Diversity Council at work. i volunteered to do it so i could see if they really are a bunch of damn racists (they are but they are in deep denial). i usually go to all of the events that any of the groups organize but i just couldn’t bring myself to go to the kwanzaa thing. it’s FAKE. and we know who made it up and when! i can’t believe these otherwise intelligent people fall for this crap! oh well. i’m deep undercover and will remain there until i can’t tolerate it any longer – they almost got me with “La Raza”/The Race idiocy.

46 | December 16, 2012 10:11 am

Kirly wrote:

I’m at a gun show all weekend.

Huge crowds.

47. 47 | December 16, 2012 10:13 am

The sunrise is exceptionally beautiful in the Sonoran Desert after a long (by our standards a day or two) rain. that was this morning. the mountains behind my house (they are about 1 mile away, if that) had their peaks shrouded in clouds this morning while the rest of the sky was clear. it was quite beautiful. i took pix. will see if they did it justice. if so i’m blowing it up huge and hanging it on the wall with the rest of my pix.

tip for the holiday cookie baker – put a hunk of bread in the container with the cookies. it’ll keep the cookies soft. any old bread will do. it will get harder and more crunchy but the cookies will stay soft.

48. 48 | December 16, 2012 10:16 am

I’m at a gun show all weekend.
    Huge crowds.

good. the more the better. seriously. the more hands in the weapons of the Normals, the better off we all are.

i’m literally on the verge of withdrawing from all this awful news about the economy, sequestration, the state of things in the world, racism and hate, and the shooting. i just want to curl up with The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and such much like I did when I was a sickly child and my only available activity was reading stories. the world is just too ugly right now.

49. Guggi
    49 | December 16, 2012 10:18 am

Now they sell gloves for smartphones and tablet pcs.

50 | December 16, 2012 10:39 am

Off to the show

51. 51 | December 16, 2012 10:51 am

Guggi wrote:

Now they sell gloves for smartphones and tablet pcs.

are the gloves worn by the people or are they put on the gadgets?

so, Lavender Lemon Cookies are done. Pumpkin Milk Chocolate Chip are within 2 cookies sheets of being done. Next, Coconut Macaroons. Santa is gonna leave me the best presents! :-)

52 | December 16, 2012 10:54 am

Good morning.
    Holder lecturing about gun control is hypocrisy in the extreme.
    He has never really explained Fast & Furious.

53. 53 | December 16, 2012 11:02 am

Sigh, what we all knew was going to happen, is indeed happening already. The Usual Fifth Column Treasonous Media Marxist propagandist talking heads are screaming for more Gun Restriction. They seem utterly incapable of grasping or even considering that what is at issue is personal responsibility, not Guns.

54. 54 | December 16, 2012 11:09 am

yes, the anti-gun parade started about 2 nanoseconds after the phrase “school shooting” were uttered the other day. seriously, i do. obhama and his fake tears – he’s not nearly as good at that as BJClinton.

55 | December 16, 2012 11:20 am

Kirly wrote:

blockquote>yes, the anti-gun parade started about 2 nanoseconds after the phrase “school shooting” were uttered the other day. seriously, i do. obhama and his fake tears — he’s not nearly as good at that as BJClinton.

He needs to bite his lower lip and squint his eyes.

56 | December 16, 2012 11:40 am

Boehner didn’t cave. He continued on with what he wants; higher taxes

57 | December 16, 2012 11:42 am

Before making guns illegal how about making divorce with children illegal and parents letting their kids feed on filth illegal

58. 58 | December 16, 2012 12:31 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

what about getting rid of no-fault divorce? what do folks think about that?

59 | December 16, 2012 12:45 pm

@ Kirly:
    read about the Lanza family? People knew but there was no way to correct the course of events

61. 61 | December 16, 2012 1:27 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

@ Kirly:

no. in fact, i’ve quite deliberately avoided the news all weekend. i’m just tired of it. it’s hideous.

62. 62 | December 16, 2012 1:58 pm

i have been told that i make a rather good coconut macaroon cookie. i must say that the batch i just made are by far my very best. they’re incredibly good. and the coconut, on the outside is toasted just perfectly. i’ve never accomplished that before. i don’t have a clue what i did differently either.

Santa is gonna leave me the BEST presents! :-)

63 | December 16, 2012 2:40 pm

@ doriangrey: Just some sarcastic suggestions for the left but half serious.

1. legislate that only women can own guns since none of them committ mass slayings.
    2. legislate first that all criminals may not own guns. Then once all the criminals are disarmed, legislate that the police no longer need to carry guns. a taser will be fine. Then once all the police are disarmed, ask me if I want to give up my gun. Trust me to make the wise decision.

64 | December 16, 2012 2:48 pm

In this lanza case the kid needed a father. Someone who could control and direct him better. The gun ownership here just seems like a bad idea. The hockey mask seems to suggest that the kid modeled himself after Hollywood horror movies in his mind. Auspergers kids are each OCD in their own particular way. But Hollywood horror is mass marketed to kids like these. The unconsciousness emotional impact of slasher films makes a huge emotional dent into the consciousness of these TV bred loners. They identify with the rejection and lack of love the villian examples.

An aspergers child does better making a community relationship in a church. The relationship between good and evil is explained to them in a community setting they need.

In general an aspsergers child can initially only relate to life as a set of direct nouns. Pronouns, adjectives, and adverbs mean nothing to them until after repeated modeling they wire themselves for understanding. School system are horrible at recognizing this in aspergers kids and continually try to mainstream the kid and force them into the institutional view of a student. Where they actually need a lot of individual attention. Expensive individual attention.

aspergers isn’t even in the spell check here.

65 | December 16, 2012 2:52 pm

MAlkin makes a good point.

Yet, under fire, it is faith that sustains eternally.
    Psalm 34:18 The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.

And it doesn’t have to be just a Christian faith. It could be telos. It could be Jung’s collective unconsciousness.

66 | December 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Thinking about the Newtown massacre of the innocents,
    I am convinced that this is all the fault of Chris Matthews
    and other hate spewing left wingers.
    This kid listened to them & it triggered something in his
    left wing mind.
    Of course there is absolutely nothing to suggest that,
    but it didn’t stop them from blaming right wing talk
    for the shooting of Gabbie Giffords & the others.
    The fault in both cases was the shooter.

67 | December 16, 2012 3:02 pm

@ 66 RIX:

how elected officials can get away with calling for violence (“There will be blood!”).

The above is a lefty politician.

68 | December 16, 2012 3:03 pm

@ 66 RIX: Look at the consistent news media coverage of excusing union members for using violence to vent a frustration.

69 | December 16, 2012 3:08 pm

darkwords wrote:

Oh sure a D before your name or a union card gets you a
    special dispensation.

70 | December 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Here is a huffpo article from a mom What is interesting to me is her support system does not include a father and does not include any type of church as far as I can tell. Or she is afraid to mention that to huffpo readers.

71 | December 16, 2012 3:11 pm

darkwords wrote:

The unions have morphed into a thugocracy.
    Not all of the rank & file, but enough & the
    leadership is out of control.
    In the Age of Obama & Holder they know that
    they have carte blanche.

72 | December 16, 2012 3:13 pm

If I was that kids father I would have taken him to a prostitute when he was 15. That will change his focus in life. I would also also have had a TV free environment for him and regular church attendance. All designed to create a productive environment for him.

What I see causing this is a form of neglect and letting him grow up like a weed. Weeds have too many rights.

73 | December 16, 2012 3:14 pm

@ 71 RIX: And it becomes a mob situation for them. Making them all guilty by association. That is the problem with Unions they have no internal checks and balances except for a pair of cement shoes.

74 | December 16, 2012 3:18 pm

As I get older I find the diversity of psychology in people astounding. At age 17, I thought I would have a wife, 2 kids, a dog, a station wagon, and a mortgage. Reality was quite different. A lot of it was illusions on my part. Reality taught me where my assumptions were wrong. I still think it is a good ideal. But I had to adjust my thinking.

75 | December 16, 2012 3:20 pm

darkwords wrote:

The problem has become that any means are justified.
    Card Check is a good example.
    Who needs a secret ballot?

76 | December 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Eric Holder thought policeman Anonymous should start seeding his database with noise.

77 | December 16, 2012 3:23 pm

@ 75 RIX: I have a relative who is a union member of that type. nice guy but I dislike him for his rabidity to any non union process. He thinks unions are the bedrock of modern america. I think he is an unpatriotic SOB. and it what is bad for the country. He could be a modern taliban easily if we had it here. Anything inside his scheme is god driven, anything outside is evil.

78 | December 16, 2012 3:30 pm

@ darkwords:
    The unions have changed & the rules of a free society are just
    brushed aside.
    They have destroyed companies and cost jobs.
    Their growth is in the Public Sector and that isn’t
    healthy.

79 | December 16, 2012 3:57 pm

@ 78 RIX:and teachers dont need unions. they need merit evaluations. kids are important. In government the leaders advocate for groups like teachers.

80 | December 16, 2012 4:00 pm

darkwords wrote:

Kids do not factor into union deliberations.