Democrats now targeting violent video games

by Rodan ( 227 Comments › )
Filed under Free Speech, government, Liberal Fascism, Progressives, Socialism, Theocratic Progressives, Tranzis at December 19th, 2012 - 3:22 pm

The Democrat Party is now planning to go after violent video games. The Progressive Senator of West Virginia, Jay Rockefeller wants to the National Academy of Science to “study” violent video games. He wants the FCC and FTC to regulate what games are sold in the market. Rockefeller already has introduced legislation towards this end.

In the wake of the Newtown shootings, Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller introduced a bill Tuesday night that would have the National Academy of Sciences examine any link between violent games and media and violent acts by children, industry sources say.

According to a copy of the “discussion draft” obtained by POLITICO, the legislation directs the Federal Trade Commission and the Federal Communications Commission to make “appropriate arrangements” with the NAS to enable the study.

[….]

Rockefeller said he will call on the FTC and FCC to expand their work on video game regulation.  “The FTC has reviewed the effectiveness of the video game ratings system.  The FCC has looked at the impact of violent programming on children.  Changes in technology now allow kids to access violent content on-line with less parental involvement,” he said.  “It is time for these two agencies to take a fresh look at these issues.”

The lawmaker also pointed out that responsibility rests with the entertainment industry. “Major corporations, including the video game industry, make billions on marketing and selling violent content to children.  They have a responsibility to protect our children,” he said.  “If they do not, you can count on the Congress to take a more aggressive role.”

Republicans should oppose any measure restricting video games. This is a golden opportunity to turn the table on the Democrats and make them the party of cranky scolds.  The GOP should run ads on Gamer sites attacking Democrats for wanting to ban video games. Will the GOP do this? Nope, there is an element in the Party will agree to ban video games. That is why Republicans who believe in Free Markets and Individualism need to make this an issue.We need to go after the Democrats and go after anti-Individualist Republicans on this issue. This is a winning issue if the GOP decided to use it.

Leave our Video games alone!

Tags: ,

Comments

227 Responses to “Democrats now targeting violent video games”

1 | December 19, 2012 3:25 pm

seems to me there are 1st amendment issues here…this idea really stinks

2. 2 | December 19, 2012 3:27 pm

The Democrats want the State to control everything. It always kills me when people who say they want “freedom” vote Democrat, because the Democrats oppose almost all freedom of any stripe. They are a totalitarian party. Given time, they will tell us what food to eat, how much exercise to get, what movies we can watch, and so forth. Their great aim is that everything that is not compulsary is forbidden.

3. 3 | December 19, 2012 3:31 pm

seems to me there are 1st amendment issues here…this idea really stinks

This could be a huge winning issue for Republicans. But I will not hold my breath. I expect many of them to jump aboard this.

4. eaglesoars
    4 | December 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Given time, they will tell us what food to eat,

They’re already doing that. It’s got to the point where strangers think they can ‘advise’ you for your own good. In the grocery store one day I grabbed some potato bread and some moron woman pointed out where the whole wheat was – gentle smile, blah blah blah.

I aked her if she wanted to keep her face.

5. 5 | December 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Republicans should use this issue. But watch many of them join in this. This is a winning issue dropping on our lap.

6 | December 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Why is Jay Rockefeller even still around?

7 | December 19, 2012 3:33 pm

The Nanny State advances.

8. eaglesoars
    8 | December 19, 2012 3:34 pm

seems to me there are 1st amendment issues here…this idea really stinks

Is there ANY reliable study that correlates violent games w/violent behavior?

9. 9 | December 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Speranza wrote:

The Nanny State advances.

Enabled by the Democrats and elements of the Republican party.

10. 10 | December 19, 2012 3:35 pm

I’m getting sick of this s**t. I love my country, but at this point it would be just wonderful if the proggs and idiots that they control would just break off and take their politics with them.

11. 11 | December 19, 2012 3:36 pm

Nope, on the contrary.

12. 12 | December 19, 2012 3:37 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I like “violent” games. Atleast the ones that aren’t senseless violence. Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls and the like. I’m not a violent person unless it is absolutely necessary. In fact I get on my wife’s nerves at times because I’m a bit too easy going. It’s all about control, pure and simple.

13. unclassifiable
    13 | December 19, 2012 3:37 pm

The Dems could go over to Michelle Malkin’s sight were she actually posted emails from gamers.

These folks are just trying to find the weakest group to pick on to look like they are saving the world.

You can almost hear the litle voice in their head: “Oooooh the gunners are actually armed. Hmmmm Let’s try these gamer punks and see if they will roll over for us.”

14. 14 | December 19, 2012 3:37 pm

@ linoleumknife:

Nany State Republicans can go join them too. Now the election is over I can go after who I want. My targets are Democrats and anti-Individualist Republicans.

15. 15 | December 19, 2012 3:38 pm

@ unclassifiable:

That is why republicans should stand up for gamers. This is a winning issue and can go a long way to helping the image of the GOP among younger voters. But since the Party is controlled by anti-Individualists, nothing will happen.

16 | December 19, 2012 3:41 pm

if you regulate games, you’ll have to regulate all other forms of entertainment…like outlaw rap music

17. 17 | December 19, 2012 3:42 pm

@ linoleumknife:

I think that will essentially happen when our out-of-control spending reaches its inevitible conclusion. The country will default of hyper-inflate the currency to nothing, and the central government won’t have the money to pay all the drones that work for it, nor, for that matter, the military or even the Congressmen and Senators themselves. When the Central Government goes bankrupt, there will be no on eto bail us out. It will, I think, be very similar to the fall of the Soviet Union. The Progs will take the sections of the country that they rule now (the Left Coast, Northeast, and parts of the Mid-West), and have their Socialist Utopia, and the solvent States will break off and form a new Republic. At least that is what I consider a best-case scenario. Economic collapse will not be pretty. Many big cities will go the way of Detroit. This is the future the Democrats are delberately steering us to.

18. 18 | December 19, 2012 3:44 pm

@ heysoos:

Damn right! Movies and t.v. especially. This whole thing has turned into a three ring circus and it’s getting old. I wish people would STFD and STFU.

19. unclassifiable
    19 | December 19, 2012 3:44 pm

heysoos wrote:

Oh NOW you are being racist.

Too bad you can’t make electricity with irony because we could leave the lights on and leave the room at 72 24×7.

20. 20 | December 19, 2012 3:45 pm

I hate to say it, but from your keyboard to God’s ears. I would like to see the Union saved, but a break up might be the only way to preserve any of it.

21. 21 | December 19, 2012 3:45 pm

@ heysoos:

like outlaw rap music

I would be dead against it, but many Republicans will probably support that.

22. unclassifiable
    22 | December 19, 2012 3:51 pm

Those Republicans are trying to make up for inadequacy.

In fact that is what they are – the Insecure and Inadequate — IAI for short.

/why not — no one is paying attention to facts

23 | December 19, 2012 3:53 pm

@ heysoos:
    like outlaw rap music
    I would be dead against it, but many Republicans will probably support that.

then they can move on to the Delta blues, the devils music…see how it works?

24. 24 | December 19, 2012 3:53 pm

I think you’d be surprised. You mistake disapproval for wanting to outlaw something. That is, no offense, the way the gay community reacts to such things. If you disapprove of they lifestyle choices you want to put them in camps. And your a hater. Once they know you don’t think they should be able to suck their boyfriend’s dick in public, they are done listening to you. Rap music is, for the most part, pretty negative stuff. For all those who say the N[word] is th emost awful word in the English Language I present rap music. If you don’t condemn rap music, then you are a hypocrit because they use the N[word] like it was a conjunction, and adjective, and an adverb. Some of it (like NWA), they use it more than they use other words. It is offensive. I presume it is supposed to be offensive, so don’t get all upset when people are offended.

25. eaglesoars
    25 | December 19, 2012 3:53 pm

linoleumknife wrote:

I’ve never played a video game in my life. Just doesn’t interest me. However, if I had children that were interested I’d certainly be monitoring that – just as I would TV, movies, etc.

26. 26 | December 19, 2012 3:55 pm

@ heysoos:
    like outlaw rap music
    I would be dead against it, but many Republicans will probably support that.

So you support freedom of speech in music, but not in games. Inconsistent much? The federeal government has no issue in either.

27. eaglesoars
    27 | December 19, 2012 3:55 pm

I presume it is supposed to be offensive,

Except when Chris Rock uses it for laughs.

28. 28 | December 19, 2012 3:59 pm

If you disapprove of they lifestyle choices you want to put them in camps

I wish you were joking about that, but you are not. I have seen Militant Marxist Gays call for re-education camps. I am not joking!

Some of it (like NWA), they use it more than they use other words.

Did you know NWA founder easy E was a Republican? There was a time in the late 80’s/early 90’s that being a Republican was considered cool in the Rap scene. It meant you had money, power and women. Times have changed.

29. 29 | December 19, 2012 4:00 pm

@ Mike C.:

Did you read the post? I am advocating Republicans should attack Democrats over wanting to ban games. I’m a Individualist, why would I want the Gov to get involved in this?

30. unclassifiable
    30 | December 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Well put. There is a big difference between social aviodance, shunning, and condemnation and governrment involvement with laws, administrative boards, and ratings.

31. 31 | December 19, 2012 4:01 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Of course it is up to parents to monitor and control what their children see and do. The problem with censoring games is that it WILL spill into other areas. The answer to these problems lies in each individual. Not in government mandates and laws.

/not that I think you support them, just a clarification of my opinions.

32. 32 | December 19, 2012 4:04 pm

@ Mike C.:

Oops. Obviously I had a brain fart there, as Rodan did NOT say he supported game restrictions. My bad.

33. 33 | December 19, 2012 4:05 pm

@ Mike C.:

Yup – I effed up big-time, no question about it. Mea culpa.

34. 34 | December 19, 2012 4:05 pm

@ Mike C.:

Hey, It’s OK. It’s that Bolivian water that is messing you up! :lol:

35. 35 | December 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Anyone notice the Progressives are blaming Guns and video games? Yet they refuse to blame the irresponsibility of the mother leaving the guns unsecure, the mental illness of Adam Lanza and the responsibility of Adam in commuting these acts.

36 | December 19, 2012 4:12 pm

I have yet to read anything but headlines regarding Sandy Hook…I am an extremely sensitive guy when it comes to suffering, children, fear…that sort of thing…but I had to look at these pics and now I’m actually fighting back tears

37. eaglesoars
    37 | December 19, 2012 4:13 pm

How many shootings are there in Chicago each week? Detroit?

Do these people ever talk about that? Not that I’ve heard.

38. eaglesoars
    38 | December 19, 2012 4:14 pm

@ heysoos:

Not going there. Don’t need that in my head.

39 | December 19, 2012 4:14 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    there’s no political hay to make there

40. 40 | December 19, 2012 4:15 pm

@ Mike C.:
    Hey, It’s OK. It’s that Bolivian water that is messing you up!

I’ve been drinking domestic since very early Monday AM.

41. 42 | December 19, 2012 4:20 pm

@ eaglesoars:

How many shootings are there in Chicago each week? Detroit?

Do these people ever talk about that? Not that I’ve heard.

White Progressives do not care about dead Black Kids. They view Blacks as biologically inferior and expect them to kill each other. But when a Murder happens in a lily white suburbs that is close to home, then they care.

42. 43 | December 19, 2012 4:20 pm

@ Mike C.:

Ah Ok!

43. 44 | December 19, 2012 4:21 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I would love to be a fly on the wall when God sits down with Oblame and opens the book of life to his chapter…

44. eaglesoars
    45 | December 19, 2012 4:23 pm

“I would personally just say to those who are listening, maybe you want to turn in your guns,” Jackson Lee said on the House floor. “Oh no, I’m not going to take your guns. But look at what Dick’s Sporting Goods did … they wanted to be part of the solution and part of America.”

How does this woman breathe w/o mechanical assistance?

45. eaglesoars
    46 | December 19, 2012 4:25 pm

linoleumknife wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

The first thing out of O’s mouth will be “I’m here to take over your job”

Gonna be hilarious

46. 47 | December 19, 2012 4:25 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I lived in her district for two and a half months. It was the longest year of my life.

47. eaglesoars
    48 | December 19, 2012 4:27 pm

linoleumknife wrote:

49 | December 19, 2012 4:29 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

This has to be one of the lowest moments of a very low presidency. Why should the Newtown killings bring any sort of “perspective” to a spending crisis that Barack Obama has created?
    gawd I despise that man………..

Just when I thought that Obama could not sink
    any lower, he redeems himself & does.
    To tie the fiscal negotiations to the death of these
    innocents ,to demonize the Republicans is a new
    dimension in bottom feeding.

49. 50 | December 19, 2012 4:33 pm

When you have a hapless opposition, you can do anything.

51 | December 19, 2012 4:39 pm

When you have a hapless opposition, you can do anything.

And the Media drooling & adoring you.

51. eaglesoars
    52 | December 19, 2012 4:46 pm

‘You got wasted and ended up in our house flying around the living room in your shirt-cape':

Frank – either not knowing he was in the wrong house or too drunk to care – pretended to fly around the living room in his ‘shirt cape’ before passing out on the couch.

And if that wasn’t enough, he marked his territory by urinating on the couch during his slumber.

What would we do without neighbors?

52. eaglesoars
    53 | December 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Did anyone else here have toy guns when they were kids? My sister and I did – complete with our Annie Oakley and Pocahontas costumes. do they even MAKE toy guns anymore?

53. 54 | December 19, 2012 4:53 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Did anyone else here have toy guns when they were kids? My sister and I did — complete with our Annie Oakley and Pocahontas costumes. do they even MAKE toy guns anymore?

Yup. http://www.wildwesttoys.com/

54. 55 | December 19, 2012 4:57 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    If I may, I take the unpopular view that over time ultra violent videos do pervert one’s sensibilities, especially young boys. It’s not like having a toy gun, in which your imagination is engaged and you’re not watching digitized blood, flesh and body parts sprayed apart in mega-pixels. It is different.

55. 56 | December 19, 2012 4:58 pm

linoleumknife wrote:

Me too. I think Obama will be surprised since his whole life is a pile of lies.

56. eaglesoars
    57 | December 19, 2012 4:58 pm

@ Mike C.:

Oh my gosh! I had COMPLETELY forgotten about cap guns! Lordy they were fun!

57. 58 | December 19, 2012 5:00 pm

@ Mike C.:
    I’d rather give my child a toy gun than a video game.

58. eaglesoars
    59 | December 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

I agree with you – if there’s too much of it, it does. Also, I think the same of porn. I suspect that one’s brain learns to work differently. But what do I know?

59. 60 | December 19, 2012 5:02 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

I consitantly play a game called Elder Scrolls V Skyrim. In it I can wield an axe, sword, bow and arrow, dagger, mace, just about anything to take on the virtual world. I can choose to be good or bad. Then there is Call of Duty. A mutliplayer online game where I can team up with people and shoot others. Not once in my life has there been a blur between the games and reality. It lies in the individual and their upbringing to know right from wrong, and reality from make believe.

60. 61 | December 19, 2012 5:04 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Think of the innocence you had growing up. From what I’ve seen of some of these games from their ads on tv, this is some pretty brutal stuff for a steady diet of children. Not that it turns all kids into mass murderers, because it doesn’t. It just contributes to the general brutalization of our sensibilities and what has become ‘acceptable’ today is pretty far gone.

61. 62 | December 19, 2012 5:08 pm

@ linoleumknife:
    I watched the Road Runner as a kid and I never wanted to drop an Acme safe off a cliff on a coyote. Look, there’s no one blame, this guy was pretty insane and yea, he probably got his jollies killing people on his computer. My main point is that our standards have slipped pretty far and personally, I think toy guns are less harmful than videos games that feature nothing but graphic death.

62. 63 | December 19, 2012 5:13 pm

To be clear, this is not a legislative matter, but one of parental control.

63. eaglesoars
    64 | December 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

Think of the innocence you had growing up

No we didn’t. As far as TV goes, there was Gunsmoke – just as an example – which was family viewing. The first 10 years of my life were spent in Appalachia where murder (usually alcohol related), domestic abuse, malnutrition/hunger were common. Or should I say ‘visible’. When we moved to the ‘burbs everything but the hunger was there – you just had to look harder to see it.

64. 65 | December 19, 2012 5:17 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

My brother and I had lots of toy guns. We even had wooden swords that gave us plenty of bruises. We played cowboys and idians (he always got to be the lone ranger or tonto and I had to be Roy Rogers). Then we played war. We read Sgt. Rock and Our Army at War. The Nazis and Germans were bad as well as the Japs. We lived in Pakistan for several years even as children had a very global perspective, but we still were steeped in America hegemony. It wasn’t hard, considering the cultures we saw ands the grinding poverty and stupidity of the third world culture of Pakistan in the 60’s.

65. 66 | December 19, 2012 5:18 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    In that regard, yes, I grew up dirt poor in some of the worst neighborhoods in NYC. By an early age I had ‘seen it all’. Drugs, crime, violence, prostitution, addictions of every stripe, everything. I’m talking about entertainment culture. But at the same time, I was also not allowed to go to R rated movies until I was 18.

66. eaglesoars
    67 | December 19, 2012 5:19 pm

father_of_10 wrote:

stupidity of the third world culture of Pakistan in the 60′s.

As far as I can tell it hasn’t changed.

67. Lily
    68 | December 19, 2012 5:19 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Well he will have 4 more years to reach ever and ever new lows.

68. 69 | December 19, 2012 5:19 pm

My almost 22 year old son is practically ruining his life with addiction to WOW. He plays it for hours and hours. His addiction to it has cost him 2 jobs and much more. I hate video games with a passion.

69. eaglesoars
    70 | December 19, 2012 5:20 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

I’m 60 yrs old and I’m STILL not allowed!

70. Mars
    71 | December 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Progs never ever blame the actor in these cases. IT is always something else.

If it is a prog it is due to video games, music, tv, SOCIETY, etc.

If it is a conservative, it is due to hate speech, AM radio, Fox news, etc.

71. 72 | December 19, 2012 5:27 pm

this friend of mine went out today to try and buys stuff to build an Aye aRe 15. The stores are stripped. Pee mags are over $35 now and the price is rising. If you have these kinds of “fishing poles”, I would suggest you hold on to them. The next thing we are going to be seeing are huge taxes on fishing flies, lures and fly-tying equipment made by places like R CBS. I also think they are going to be moving towards fishing pole registration and then on to confiscation. Import bans and manufacuring on multiple fly boxes is going to pretty much be a done deal in the next congress.

Get my drift?

73 | December 19, 2012 5:28 pm

@ Mars:

Progs never ever blame the actor in these cases. IT is always something else.

If it is a prog it is due to video games, music, tv, SOCIETY, etc.

If it is a conservative, it is due to hate speech, AM radio, Fox news, etc.

It started during the Sixties. Criminals were cast as victims, forced into
    bad behavior due to socio-economic pressures.
    Collective guilt was all the rage. JFK and RFK were killed by society,
    everybody is guilty.

73. Mars
    74 | December 19, 2012 5:29 pm

From what I understand we are now up to three shooting incidents that have been averted due to armed citizens, SINCE the Newtown shooting. Yet, the national news has yet to cover even one of them.

For all here that are remarking about violent games affecting children, why the hell would you be letting your children play them? These games are not marketed to children, they are marketed toward adults, they are age restricted to adults, they are for adults.

Much like R movies, tobacco, and adult magazines, they are not made for children, they are not for the children.

THE ONLY ISSUE here is one of parental responsibility. My 8 and 10 year old kids love video games, do you think I’m letting them play the ones I play? Do you think they are allowed to watch some of the ones I play.

That’s because I’m the responsible adult, not them. I have a duty to monitor and restrict if necessary their activities as I see fit.

74. Mars
    75 | December 19, 2012 5:31 pm

father_of_10 wrote:

Get my drift?

Well done.

@ Mars:
    Progs never ever blame the actor in these cases. IT is always something else.
    If it is a prog it is due to video games, music, tv, SOCIETY, etc.
    If it is a conservative, it is due to hate speech, AM radio, Fox news, etc.
    It started during the Sixties. Criminals were cast as victims, forced into
    bad behavior due to socio-economic pressures.
    Collective guilt was all the rage. JFK and RFK were killed by society,
    everybody is guilty.

90% of everything the progs have is from the 60’s. They never grew out of it, and now it’s come back to bite us in the ass.

75. eaglesoars
    76 | December 19, 2012 5:39 pm

father_of_10 wrote:

I don’t know what WOW is but I’m so very sorry

77 | December 19, 2012 5:40 pm

@ Mars:

90% of everything the progs have is from the 60′s. They never grew out of it, and now it’s come back to bite us in the ass.

And a product of that thinking is Barack Obama. He gravitated to
    and was mentored by Sixties radicals

77. 78 | December 19, 2012 5:41 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

father_of_10 wrote:
    I don’t know what WOW is but I’m so very sorry

world of Warcraft

78. song_and_dance_man
    79 | December 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Mars wrote:

That is the key. When my son was younger he didn’t get to play videos games for hours on end. And I screened which games he could play. He’s 19 now, So I can’t force him to stop playing all night long, but I still do advise him to be a bit more moderate with his playing time. And that went for movies too. I used to skip areas of movies where there was undue violence or gratuitous sex.

This Adam dude was failed by his mom, knowing that he had mental issues and had guns accessible in their home.

79. Guggi
    80 | December 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Isn’t it the irony that the president of the U.S.A. was/is arming the so called “freedom fighters aka al Qaeda” in Libya and Syria while he wants to disarm his own people at home ?

80. Mars
    81 | December 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Guggi wrote:

Progressives never look closely at their discrepancies. Cognitive dissonance is never pleasant.

81. song_and_dance_man
    82 | December 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Oh and RIP Robert Bork

82. Guggi
    83 | December 19, 2012 5:52 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

She was really one of the few who shouldn’t have arms at home even if she had locked them in a safe it wouldn’t have made a difference. He easily could have kiledl her without a gun and took away the keys.

84 | December 19, 2012 5:52 pm

And a product of that thinking is Barack Obama. He gravitated to
    and was mentored by Sixties radicals

The revolutionary socialists of the ’60s morphed into the democratic socialists of today. They’ve never changed their goal, which is fundamentally transforming America (gee…where have I heard that before?) into a utopian socialist society. They just changed their plan for how to achieve it.

85 | December 19, 2012 5:53 pm

@ Guggi:

Gun safes usually have either a combination lock or a fingerprint reader (or both), not a key.

85. 86 | December 19, 2012 5:54 pm

@ Guggi:

Most gun safes use a number dial and a key. So if she locked it with the dial, he could have the key and it wouldn’t have mattered to a hill of beans.

86. 87 | December 19, 2012 5:55 pm

Guggi wrote:

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Which may have been what he did. I heard somehwere that she might’ve had her guns locked up.

So maybe she might not have as much blame as we want to put on her. maybe her sone was nutso crazy and would’ve been nutso crazy even if there was a father in the home. maybe the nutso would’ve killed the guy down the street to steal his legal and locked up guns.

87. Lily
    88 | December 19, 2012 5:55 pm

@ Mars:
    And a product of that thinking is Barack Obama. He gravitated to
    and was mentored by Sixties radicals

Isn’t that the truth!! Dear heavens the 60’s just will not quit!

88. 89 | December 19, 2012 5:56 pm

@ Guggi:

Was the mother’s corpse missing an index finger?

89. 90 | December 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Remember, the nutso crazy kid was something of an idiot savant and maybe figured out how to crack the gunsafe. Even the really good ones are not totally fool-proof.

90. Guggi
    91 | December 19, 2012 6:00 pm

Ok, thanks for the information, Lobo, and they can’t be opened by force ?

92 | December 19, 2012 6:01 pm

father_of_10 wrote:

If that’s the case, then she shouldn’t have had them at all.

If you’re a gun owner, you’re responsible for keeping your guns out of the hands of unauthorized people.

92. 93 | December 19, 2012 6:01 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I’d have to agree. I think there’s a desensitization that occurs due to the incredible realism and gruesome nature of the games. Smart phones, tablets and computers have already crippled a lot of these kids’ social skills and the games are another massive brick in the wall between socially disconnected kids and society at-large. Boys growing up in an increasingly coarse, violent and over-sexed culture really don’t need this – being a teenage boy is tough enough already.

94 | December 19, 2012 6:02 pm

Guggi wrote:

Ok, thanks for the information, Lobo, and they can’t be opened by force ?

About as easily as a bank vault.

These are actual safes we’re talking about here. Like 500-1,000 pounds of steel.

94. eaglesoars
    95 | December 19, 2012 6:03 pm

father_of_10 wrote:

So maybe she might not have as much blame as we want to put on her.

I can imagine that she kept weapons easily accessible because she thought she might have to defend herself against him. I can’t imagine the stress she was under – contemplating surrendering your own child to an institution.

He was hurt that his Mom was going to give him away so he made his pain manifest and deadly.

Heartbreaking.

96 | December 19, 2012 6:05 pm

@ Guggi:

Typical gun safe

96. 97 | December 19, 2012 6:09 pm

@ MacDuff:

But I don’t buy it. There was plenty of violence and sex in the world before video games. In fact, as a whole, our current society is much less violent than what history has shown to be the norm. Sexual content might be on the rise in terms of American history, but is by no means above what the history of man has seen either.

97. song_and_dance_man
    98 | December 19, 2012 6:12 pm

There was no father in the home either. That makes it tough on a boy.

99 | December 19, 2012 6:17 pm

@ linoleumknife:

Facts don’t matter.

We keep hearing about the “easy availability of guns today,” too, but that doesn’t make it true. You used to be able to buy guns through the mail out of ads in magazines. That’s how Oswald got his rifle.

And up until 1994, the only thing you had to do to buy a gun in a store was fill out an ATF 4473 and lie. As long as you didn’t check “yes” on the questions about being a felon, a drug addict, or mentally unstable, you were good to go. Nobody actually checked. The forms just went into a drawer.

99. 100 | December 19, 2012 6:19 pm

linoleumknife wrote:

@ MacDuff:

All true, but we’ve never had “virtual worlds” where you’re rewarded by body counts and head shots. Look, I don’t know if this is “The Cause” in fact, I doubt if there is a single “Cause”, but I think this sort of thing is, at the very least, unhelpful to a developing mind.

100. 101 | December 19, 2012 6:24 pm

@ linoleumknife:
    Well, whatever it is, or the causes, young mass murder is on the rise.

As for the Lanza killings, he wasn’t so psychotic — he knew to destroy his hard drive.

101. Guggi
    102 | December 19, 2012 6:29 pm

For those who are mentally healthy violent video games have no impact. This is proven by every study here in Europe and they tried hard to make connections between violent video games and violence in the real world but failed. They had to admit that violent video games only have an impact for people with mentally or psychic issues BUT they are not the source of their violent behavior but can increase it.

102. Tanker
    103 | December 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Question for someone than can answer it.

I see on most sites, people are talking about the guy (won’t even type the bastards name) killing all the children with a assault weapon (AR-15), yet all the reports I heard on Friday said the AR-15 was found in the back seat of the car, and he had 2 pistols on him in the school.

Anyone know the correct answer?

104 | December 19, 2012 6:32 pm

@ Tanker:

Anyone know the correct answer?

I’m sure someone does, but I’m not sure that we do.

The way the story keeps changing, I don’t know what’s true and what’s not.

104. song_and_dance_man
    105 | December 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Tanker wrote:

Anyone know the correct answer?

Probably only the cops at this point.

105. Tanker
    106 | December 19, 2012 6:35 pm

@ Tanker:
    Anyone know the correct answer?
    I’m sure someone does, but I’m not sure that we do.
    The way the story keeps changing, I don’t know what’s true and what’s not.

Thanks lobo, and for the record, The AR-15 doesn’t meet the true definition of an assault weapon. Sure wish people would understand that simply fact!

107 | December 19, 2012 6:37 pm

my boy played football and baseball and was an A student all through school….homework first, sports next and if he had time on a Sat to burn he’d kill guys…not everyday and certainly not for hours at a time…he did love Madden Football tho and he and hid pals did a few marathon sessions here and there…parenting came easy for us because we demanded so little and there was only One Rule…don’t piss off dad…my kids weren’t stupid and the responsibilities they learned were not taken lightly…I rarely ever had to tell them what to do or when

108 | December 19, 2012 6:37 pm

@ Tanker:

The “people” you’re talking about are in politics and the media.

They’re impervious to facts.

108. 109 | December 19, 2012 6:40 pm

@ Tanker:
    What is the definition of an ‘assault’ weapon. I’ve been hearing a lot of talk on the radio and most can’t even define ‘semi-automatic’ correctly.

109. Brick
    110 | December 19, 2012 6:40 pm

The only thing they CAN do and still appear to be legitimate is to further regulate “stuff” because they rightly recognize that they cannot regulate/control people. The governments that do attempt to regulate people…well, history shows it’s never good for large swaths of the governed. :-(

I think it is part of His design – give man free will, an independent spirit, and the right to keep and bear to thwart those men who seek to cast themselves as G-d’s over men.

111 | December 19, 2012 6:41 pm

assault sodas
    assault tobacco
    assault salts
    assault crosses
    assault Woppers
    gets blurred after awhile

111. Tanker
    112 | December 19, 2012 6:43 pm

heysoos wrote:

See parenting isn’t all that hard. As I tell my kids, I’m living prove that parents can be successful. They have said, But dad you were always gone doing something in the Army. My answer was always! But, you knew damn well I was coming home at some point, and Mom has the reins and knows how to use them! Great Kids I have!

113 | December 19, 2012 6:45 pm

@ Tanker:

Assault weapon doesn’t really have a good definition. It’s a term that was cooked up by politicians.

Assault rifle does, though. An assault rifle is a magazine loading selective fire rifle (meaning it fires either semi- or full-auto) that fires an intermediate caliber cartridge.

114 | December 19, 2012 6:45 pm

@ Tanker:
    yeah, I learned early that great kids are a blessing…we are very fortunate

114. Brick
    115 | December 19, 2012 6:46 pm

@ Tanker:

According to one…:cough, cough: expert – They have a “shoulder thing that goes up.”

116 | December 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Brick wrote:

@ Tanker:
    According to one…:cough, cough: expert — They have a “shoulder thing that goes up.”

I wanted to reach through the TV screen and strangle Lis Wiehl last night on O’Reilly. She clearly had no idea what any of the terms she was spouting meant.

116. Tanker
    117 | December 19, 2012 6:49 pm

@ Tanker:

The simple definition is a assault weapon has a select switch that allows one to fire in semi or automatic fire, or as the Army M16A4/M4…in a 3 round burst!

117. rain of lead
    118 | December 19, 2012 6:51 pm

hey ya’ll
    the girl and I just got back from seeing the hobbit
    damn what a violent movie
    I’m just filled with the desire to slay orcs and goblins

but really
    great movie, but two things
    ya gotta see it in 3D…
    and
    if you are prone to motion sickness….
    STAY AWAY!

118. Tanker
    119 | December 19, 2012 6:51 pm

@ Tanker:

Better wording than mine! :-)

119. unclassifiable
    120 | December 19, 2012 6:52 pm

.@ Tanker:

I saw the definition of an assault weapon cause an argument on a milblog(!).

As far as I am concern every gun has the potential to be an assualt weapon (if we are just sticking to guns). I am sure Ron Reagan was pretty sure that the .22LRs (I think that was the round) he was shot with did enough damage to be considered an assault weapon.

I’ve seen a .17 split a deer’s head wide open.

What we can say is that there is plenty of willful ignorance in Washington and other political circles on automatic/semi-automatic designation.

And then there is this. A long time ago there was a 60 Minutes segment on Cabrini Green housing projects in Chicago. The local police station had a sizable store room full of various guns confiscated in the many after arrest actions that happened there. The reporter asked one of the cops which one of the guns gave them the most problems. He passed over AK47s (automatic — real thing), MAC 10s (same), AR15s, and some M16s. The only thing I did not see was a Ma Duce or a HK Remote Automatic Weapon System — OK I kid but they had a lot of different guns. And of course there were the usual hand guns (revolvers and semis), shotguns (all seemed to be sawed off) and the like. The cop passes over all of those and picks out…

… a Weatherby 7mm hunting gun with scope. The perp who used this had the cops pinned down for 12 hours.

120. Brick
    121 | December 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Brick wrote:
    @ Tanker:

It’s funny how once you get a journalism degree – you’re instantly an SME in EVERYTHING!

122 | December 19, 2012 6:53 pm

my ‘assault weapon’ shoots 40 .33cal bullets at 1100fps, in about five seconds…it’s a typical pump action shotgun

123 | December 19, 2012 6:57 pm

@ Brick:

It’s funny how once you get a journalism degree — you’re instantly an SME in EVERYTHING!

She’s not a journalist. She’s worse: An attorney.

123. unclassifiable
    124 | December 19, 2012 6:58 pm

heysoos wrote:

And most perps will run and “download” at the same time just hearing that distinct “clack” of the pump action. Good choice but hell if you gotta clean up afterword.

May you never have to.

125 | December 19, 2012 6:59 pm

heysoos wrote:

I have an atypical shotgun. Mine holds 8 (+1) rounds, has rifle sights and a bayonet mount.

Now that’s an assault weapon!

126 | December 19, 2012 7:00 pm

And of course the thing that would really freak the libs out is the bayonet mount.

126. Tanker
    127 | December 19, 2012 7:01 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

.@ Tanker:
    I saw the definition of an assault weapon cause an argument on a milblog(!).
    I’ve seen a .17 split a deer’s head wide open.

My favorite gun is my Mouser 30-06 bolt action with a Leupold VX 3 6.5 20×40 scope. Scope is worth twice what the gun is, but damn it is fun.

128 | December 19, 2012 7:02 pm

heysoos wrote:
    Now that’s an assault weapon!

the old trench sweeper….bad ass

128. unclassifiable
    129 | December 19, 2012 7:04 pm

I’m sure a perp would repeat The One’s contention that your bayonet is an oudated weapon…

…right before you turned him into a shishkabob.

129. Brick
    130 | December 19, 2012 7:06 pm

@ Brick:
    She’s not a journalist. She’s worse: An attorney.

Caramba! :(

On 40 watt bulbs, this from newsbusters

130. Tanker
    131 | December 19, 2012 7:09 pm

I get the same reaction from some people when I pull out the Mosin Nagant with the swing out bayonet. Another fun (but somewhat expensive) gun to shoot!

131. Brick
    132 | December 19, 2012 7:10 pm

How about the NATO grenade launcher standard equipment on the Yugo SKS, also good for raised eyebrows. :)

133 | December 19, 2012 7:10 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

…right before you turned him into a shishkabob.

I specifically got the one I did (a Mossberg 590) because it’s still useful as a weapon if you run out of ammo. It has a full stock, rather than the pistol grips that are so popular today, which means you can use it as a club if you have to.

134 | December 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Brick wrote:

As if you can actually buy anything to fire with it.

I was just reading an article where someone was yapping about how terrible it was that grenade launchers were permitted on semi-auto rifles. Apparently, this person thinks that means something like an M-203.

Wrong. It means an adapter to fire old-style rifle grenades.

You can’t buy a working M-203. And even if you could, you can’t buy ammo for it.

135 | December 19, 2012 7:15 pm

pistol grip and short barrel are must….I always have to hunt down my intruders, room by room….they are clever

136 | December 19, 2012 7:18 pm

@ 78 father_of_10: What you would do is ask him which wow server he plays on and which faction? Horde or Alliance? Then buy your own account and logon to wow when he doesn’t know you are there.

They have a chat funcation called trade chat. It occurs when in a city, then you /2 son, your mom says it is time for dinner. wow is full of trolls though

136. Brick
    137 | December 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Brick wrote:
    As if you can actually buy anything to fire with it.
    Wrong. It means an adapter to fire old-style rifle grenades.

Did I type grenade launcher? I meant, golf ball launcher. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

137. Mars
    138 | December 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Mosin Nagant

I want to cry. Those were available at a couple places around here a few years back for 75 – 90 bucks. Now I can’t touch one in town for under 200. I always told myself I’d get one when I had a couple extra bucks, now I’ll never afford one. They were the last of the affordable firearms for me.

139 | December 19, 2012 7:23 pm

@ 101 Urban Infidel: The insane still have lucid moments. They are just real spiky people with certain components of their consciousness at an extreme. Meds can help a lot these days but are hard on the body. Most sick people who have lost family support need a support system that no longer exists.

Here putting this kid in a group home or taking him to a prostitute would have altered his life obsessions.

As far as gun violence, that is just a symptom and not a cause.

139. Tanker
    140 | December 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Mars wrote:

Mosin Nagant
    I want to cry. Those were available at a couple places around here a few years back for 75 — 90 bucks. Now I can’t touch one in town for under 200. I always told myself I’d get one when I had a couple extra bucks, now I’ll never afford one. They were the last of the affordable firearms for me.

Dude, at some point soon a brother may be able to help another brother out. Stay tuned for developments coming soon, I hope!

140. unclassifiable
    141 | December 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Well talking with journalist (it’s not a debate — hell its not even a discussion) is about as useful as a football bat.

In the end we will have our guns and they will still be stupid POSs.

As for the pols, they are the worst of the lot.

Take O for example (please!). He could have flown in and had a private one on one with the families to assure them that he will do everything he can to help them in their time of need. He could have gone to the funerals if he wanted (he could have scratched a few golf games). He could have scored some real points with sympathy.

Instead he makes the whole deal about him and politics. It’s nothing but his opportunity – his hour.

It really did not matter about the kids and teachers — they are props.

His tears are for his daughters — what if it happened to them G*d forbid?!!?!!

And that goes for every politician that used this as an opportunity to demonize, to belittle, and mainly to show everyone who is “in charge”.

And WHERE IN THE HELL WERE THEIR ENLIGHTENED SORRY ASSES BEFORE THE TRAGEDY?

They are sure as hell certain what to do after the fact but could have not given two craps before the fact.

141. Brick
    142 | December 19, 2012 7:29 pm

Mars wrote:

Mosin Nagant

Do you have a Dunham’s Sports near you? About 3 weeks ago, they had a doorbuster on the 91/30’s $89.00 with the full set-up. Oiler bottle, cleaning rod, leather ammo pouches, tool-kit, and a bayonet as long as my forearm. When they drop that low, it’s hard not to pick some up.

142. Mars
    143 | December 19, 2012 7:29 pm

Mars wrote:
    Mosin Nagant

Ok. ??? Lol.

143. Mars
    144 | December 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Brick wrote:

Mars wrote:
    Mosin Nagant

Do you have a Dunham’s Sports near you? About 3 weeks ago, they had a doorbuster on the 91/30′s $89.00 with the full set-up. Oiler bottle, cleaning rod, leather ammo pouches, tool-kit, and a bayonet as long as my forearm. When they drop that low, it’s hard not to pick some up.

Nope, I have Scheels, Big Bear, Cabelas and about 20 pawn/gun shops.

144. citizen_q
    146 | December 19, 2012 7:31 pm

@ Mars:
    Feel the same way about SKSs.

Buddy of mine said I should get one, back in the ’80s At the time they were $60 at the gun show and they guy selling them had ‘em by crate. Silly me, I thought you could not get a decent rifle for so cheap.

Older and wiser, I picked a nice Chinese SKS made in 1954. Paid several times what they were going for then. Nicely made rifle, I have about 500 rounds through it with nary a hiccup. I am a small short person, and the SKS fits me. Ammo for it at least until very recently relatively cheap.

145. Tanker
    147 | December 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Mars wrote:

Mars wrote:
    Mosin Nagant

Ok. ??? Lol.

I may be getting my hands on a couple soon. I have friends that are getting to old for the kick, and don’t want to spend the money on ammo for them!

146. eaglesoars
    148 | December 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Mars wrote:

I can help with that.

149 | December 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Maybe chop off the index fingers of everyone so people can’t imitate a gun with their hand.

148. unclassifiable
    150 | December 19, 2012 7:45 pm

@ MacDuff:

“I’ll let you slide,”

Freakin’ hilarious. Glad no one was kilt.

151 | December 19, 2012 7:48 pm

I keep waiting for a nice, refurbished Garand shows up in my mailbox

150. Mars
    152 | December 19, 2012 7:50 pm

citizen_q wrote:

@ Mars:
    Feel the same way about SKSs.

Yep, my dad had one, but had to sell it.

Mars wrote:
    Mars wrote:
    Mosin Nagant
    Ok. ??? Lol.

Sounds good.

151. Mars
    153 | December 19, 2012 7:51 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Mars wrote:
    I can help with that.

Might drop a line around tax return.

152. Tanker
    154 | December 19, 2012 7:53 pm

I keep waiting for a nice, refurbished Garand shows up in my mailbox

Now there’s a guy with dreams! They are pure gold these days! I’ll probably die before getting my wish to own a match grade Garand! Hell, I’d settle for any Garand at this point!

153. citizen_q
    155 | December 19, 2012 7:56 pm

I keep waiting for a nice, refurbished Garand shows up in my mailbox

I am in the same boat. I’d love to have a good serviceable Garand. It’s the type rifle my father carried in WWII.

154. Tanker
    156 | December 19, 2012 7:59 pm

citizen_q wrote:

I keep waiting for a nice, refurbished Garand shows up in my mailbox

My Dad also!

155. eaglesoars
    157 | December 19, 2012 8:04 pm

Ted Nugent’s Gun Show Gets Silenced

The Discovery Channel tells The Washington Times that “Ted Nugent’s Gun Crazy” won’t return with fresh episodes. The source tells the newspaper that “Gun Crazy” didn’t draw big ratings during its broadcasts, but it’s hard not to isolate the cancellation from the ongoing fallout from Friday’s school shooting in Connecticut.

The news comes directly after the channel cancelled “American Guns,” a reality show set in a Colorado gun shop.

156. citizen_q
    158 | December 19, 2012 8:04 pm

:-)

157. citizen_q
    159 | December 19, 2012 8:05 pm

Be back a little later.

Taking a break from work. My next window is in about an hour.

160 | December 19, 2012 8:08 pm

citizen_q wrote:

I keep waiting for a nice, refurbished Garand shows up in my mailbox

if you are a buff…how many times have you seen a pic of a bunch of tired, dirty guys standing around holding a Japanese battle flag as a trophy?…the classic pose…I have one, in near perfect condition, maybe an 8×11…and there is my own dad squatting there in the corner…no helmet or hat or shirt, but perched between his knees was his trusty M1…my sister found this photo the year he died and I about flipped out when she gave it to me…there were 8 or ten guys in the pic and all were named on the back…it was taken near Garapan, Saipan….semper fi

161 | December 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Wow…Alan Colmes takes exception to calling Bloomberg an “anti-gun zealot.”

160. eaglesoars
    162 | December 19, 2012 8:22 pm

Alan Colmes

Pond scum. I remember when he attributed Sarah Palin’s son’s Down Syndrome to lack of pre-natal care, then deleted it from his blog and denied he’d ever said it.

I swear the only reason Fox keeps him around is because he’s married to Monica Crowley’s sister.

161. Tanker
    163 | December 19, 2012 8:23 pm

Wow…Alan Colmes takes exception to calling Bloomberg an “anti-gun zealot.”

I can’t stand that twit! I think he was talking about Biden, but I have bad hearing so I could be wrong! :|

164 | December 19, 2012 8:25 pm

first they came for the Big Gulp, but I don’t drink soda

165 | December 19, 2012 8:26 pm

Tanker wrote:

Wow…Alan Colmes takes exception to calling Bloomberg an “anti-gun zealot.”

He was, and then O’Reilly brought up Bloomberg.

166 | December 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Alan Combs is less credible than Homer Simpson

167 | December 19, 2012 8:31 pm

O’Reilly is starting to irritate me on this whole issue.

Last night, he was talking about how he’s a gun owner, and doesn’t see any problem with someone having a gun to protect their home and family like he does.

And then he said “But nobody needs an AR-15 to protect their home.”

Apparently, he doesn’t realize that not everyone lives in a gated community on Long Island, where 911 response time is probably measured in seconds. What about the person who lives in middle-of-nowhere Wyoming, where you might see a deputy in a few hours, after he crosses the entire county to get to your house?

166. eaglesoars
    168 | December 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Jamie Rosen reports NRA is gaining about 8000 new members A DAY.

169 | December 19, 2012 8:36 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Jamie Rosen reports NRA is gaining about 8000 new members A DAY.

I believe it. I’m a recruiter, along with being an instructor.

168. Mars
    170 | December 19, 2012 8:38 pm

O’Reilly is starting to irritate me on this whole issue.
    And then he said “But nobody needs an AR-15 to protect their home.”

Spent most of my life in Wyoming. People usually don’t go that far out of their way to get shot.//just sayin.

The ones in Wyoming and here in MT that I feel sorry for are the Highway Patrol/State Troopers. They are in the middle of no where with no partner, and nearest support a hundred miles away. We usually lose one or two a year do to that.

171 | December 19, 2012 8:38 pm

O’Reilly is starting to irritate me on this whole issue.
    And then he said “But nobody needs an AR-15 to protect their home.”

I would guess not to many middle of nowhere Wyomians listen to that elitist blowhard…he may be right sooner or later, but the guy irritates me and is part of the establishment I despise

170. Mars
    172 | December 19, 2012 8:39 pm

due

171. Mars
    173 | December 19, 2012 8:42 pm

heysoos wrote:

O’Reilly is starting to irritate me on this whole issue.
    And then he said “But nobody needs an AR-15 to protect their home.”

It’s also been proven time and again, even people in the cities have long waits for 911 response, if it even happens at all. 911 is not always a functional system, in fact it works far better in the smaller towns and communities than it does in the cities. Lol, it’s far more likely someone in small town Wyoming will get a 911 response in seconds than someone in New York city or similar.

(Much of it just comes down to logistics. There aren’t enough responders to cover everything, add in traffic, and who knows what else. In the small towns there is usually going to be some responders available.)

174 | December 19, 2012 8:44 pm

@ Mars:

I’m not talking about small towns. I meant someone who lives on a ranch or something.

175 | December 19, 2012 8:44 pm

@ Mars:

New Mexico is the same way.

174. 176 | December 19, 2012 8:45 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Given time, they will tell us what food to eat,

They’re already doing that. It’s got to the point where strangers think they can ‘advise’ you for your own good. In the grocery store one day I grabbed some potato bread and some moron woman pointed out where the whole wheat was — gentle smile, blah blah blah.

I aked her if she wanted to keep her face.

You mean you didn’t ask her if she wanted said whole wheat bread shoved up her ass? THAT takes considerable restraint! :)

175. 177 | December 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Alan Combs Skeletor is less credible than Homer Simpson

Well what did you expect? They’re both cartoon characters!

176. eaglesoars
    178 | December 19, 2012 8:48 pm

We leave in one of those Leave-It-To-Beaver suburbs outside D.C. Our next door neighbor had installed ADT, had a medical emergency the other night. She hit her ‘panic’ button.

3 minutes.

179 | December 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

wellll…..i did ponder whether a safe or an anvil would be more effective…

178. eaglesoars
    180 | December 19, 2012 8:51 pm

Macker wrote:

Yeah, but I would have had to pay for it. How would they have scanned it at checkout?

181 | December 19, 2012 8:52 pm

I mostly learned not to buy Acme products.

180. 182 | December 19, 2012 8:53 pm

wellll…..i did ponder whether a safe or an anvil would be more effective…

Ask any Mohammedan and they will tell you that they will feel safer with the safe!

181. 183 | December 19, 2012 8:53 pm

wellll…..i did ponder whether a safe or an anvil would be more effective…

I’ve always been partial to a giant slingshot myself.

184 | December 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Now they’re recutting the Jack Reacher movie.

Urgh…

185 | December 19, 2012 8:54 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

3 minutes.

as for dialing 911, I’d probably be calling in the very people about to kill me…if I have a heart attack I’d call 911…if I’m in a gunfight with the cops, the point is moot…I’ve broken a few laws, some federal laws in fact…one day they may run me down, then it’s over for me…I’m not giving up anything, not time or space or weapons or money…in other words I’m already dead

184. 186 | December 19, 2012 8:56 pm

I mostly learned not to buy Acme products.

There is a local smoked fish place here called Acme. It’s been here forever and it’s good. Very good.

185. eaglesoars
    187 | December 19, 2012 8:56 pm

heysoos wrote:

I meet the most interesting people here……….

186. 188 | December 19, 2012 8:58 pm

Now they’re recutting the Jack Reacher movie.
    Urgh…

I was pissed when they took out the punch in the old animated Hawaiian Punch commercials.

189 | December 19, 2012 8:58 pm

I mostly learned not to buy Acme products.

acme makes fine anvils.

190 | December 19, 2012 8:58 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

wellll…..i did ponder whether a safe or an anvil would be more effective…
    I’ve always been partial to a giant slingshot myself.

with rocket skates

191 | December 19, 2012 9:00 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

On the plus side, they’ve apparently pushed back the opening of that Jamie Foxx movie, as well.

I guess the studio thought the time might not be right for releasing a movie where the star, in his own words, “Kills all the white people.”

192 | December 19, 2012 9:02 pm

heh.

walmart sells out of semi autos in PA.

OBC!!!

original bitter clingers, baby!

191. eaglesoars
    193 | December 19, 2012 9:03 pm

“I know the sense of helplessness that people feel. I know the urge to arm yourself because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick. I carried a concealed weapon and I made the determination if somebody was going to try and take me out, I was going to take them with me.”

Diane Feinstein.

192. 194 | December 19, 2012 9:05 pm

It’s all garbage. The only movie I’d like to see is the Lincoln pic. Otherwise I never go anymore.

193. citizen_q
    195 | December 19, 2012 9:06 pm

@ heysoos:
    WoW!

My father served in Europe. Went in on the third wave at Omaha Beach.

I have a couple of pictures of him, I believe after he was severely wounded, and recovering.

196 | December 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Jack Reacher is 6-5 and kills people with his bare hands…casting that midget Tom Cruise is a joke

197 | December 19, 2012 9:13 pm

heysoos wrote:

Yeah, it does seem a bit odd.

196. Tanker
    198 | December 19, 2012 9:14 pm

heysoos wrote:

Cruise is the Metrosexual version! Wussing down of US Males!

197. citizen_q
    199 | December 19, 2012 9:14 pm

And then he said “But nobody needs an AR-15 to protect their home.”

I am not about to take tactical advice from the likes of Bill O’Reilly, nor limit my civil rights to what he thinks I might need.

I think he needs to shut up, he sound ignorant and is damaging his credibility, but I would not force that on him.

198. Mars
    200 | December 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

I won’t go to Lincoln. It was made by a self-hating POS lib. Not to mention it stars one of the nations biggest moonbats as Mary Todd Lincoln. Also totally mischaracterizes what she was really like. I’m afraid of what else they changed to fit their agenda.

201 | December 19, 2012 9:16 pm

citizen_q wrote:

@ heysoos:
    WoW!
    My father served in Europe. Went in on the third wave at Omaha Beach.

I’ve collected up all my dads stuff, papers, medals…we have his dress uni the day he graduated from boot camp in NC…I have empty M1 clips from when he qualified expert, his Kabar fighting knife, an Arisaka Type 30 he claimed that nearly killed him, little packs of Camel smokes from K rats…I have a bunch of stuff he collected…I sure wish he was still alive, he was easily my very best friend

200. livefreeor die
    202 | December 19, 2012 9:21 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Macker wrote:

Okay, that whole exchange gave me the first genuine laugh I’ve had in a few days!
    As to how to scan it, you simply take the price gun and …

201. eaglesoars
    203 | December 19, 2012 9:23 pm

I have a bunch of stuff he collected

I have a bit of my dad’s escape kit – (he was a B-26 pilot stationed outside London) – a two sided map of France printed on a silk scarf (in color) and some French francs. And his medals. He was awarded the DFC and I have it.

202. eaglesoars
    204 | December 19, 2012 9:24 pm

livefreeor die wrote:

We’ll be here all week………

:cool:

205 | December 19, 2012 9:32 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

I have a bunch of stuff he collected
    I have a bit of my dad’s escape kit — (he was a B-26 pilot stationed outside London) — a two sided map of France printed on a silk scarf (in color) and some French francs. And his medals. He was awarded the DFC and I have it.

my dad’s brother won the DFC in Korea…he went from P-51s out of England to F-86 in Korea…I have his entire AAC/AF set of records, but not the medal itself…he and his wingman found a Nork column moving over a mountain pass and cut it up pretty good, armor, troops etc…as for my dad’s Bronze Star the records are vague…time, place, heroics…he ‘saved a couple of guys’…I do not know or will ever know the details

204. citizen_q
    206 | December 19, 2012 9:34 pm

@ heysoos:
    I hear ya.

I have only a very few things from my father. He was killed by a drunk driver when I was kid. One of the reasons I don’t have a lot of details of his service. He did not talk about such things with a child.

He did talk about some things in connection with that time. He made sure I was involved in scouting, he told me the people who survived were the ones who were prepared. We are Jewish, read into that the obvious. And he taught my brother and I to shoot. Started out with archery. When he was satisfied we were schooled enough in what he called range safety, we graduated to shooting his bolt-actions .22, which I still have. He also had a surplus Lee-Enfield in .303 British that we also practised shooting a few times.

205. citizen_q
    207 | December 19, 2012 9:38 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Cool! My middle brother has most of my Dad’s things from his service, including his medals. I have not seen them in many many years. I will have to see if he will allow me a visit next time I see him.

208 | December 19, 2012 9:39 pm

citizen_q wrote:

@ heysoos:
    I hear ya.

dads are gods…mine was anyway

207. eaglesoars
    209 | December 19, 2012 9:44 pm

heysoos wrote:

I believe many of the U.S. Army/Air Corps records were lost in a fire in a warehouse in St. Louis some years ago.

citizen_q wrote:

He was killed by a drunk driver when I was kid.

I remember that thread when we all talked about drunk drivers and those we loved and lost to them (I believe you were in the car?) It was based on a fantastic video out of Vancouver. Should have bookmarked it.

208. Tanker
    210 | December 19, 2012 9:45 pm

@ heysoos:

I do not know or will ever know the details

This is what we live with when it comes to my Dad’s service. He didn’t talk about it at all, although I know he talked to his war buddies on the phone some in his later years. Silver Star w/v device (we didn’t know about this until his death) Bronze Star, two Purple Hearts. Served in North Africa and with 3D Army in Europe. Wish I’d had more time to talk to him about it. He passed during my first month of service! My true hero, more for who he was during my life than anything else!

209. citizen_q
    211 | December 19, 2012 9:48 pm

@ heysoos:
    Mine was all too human, but he loved us and worked hard to prepare us for life. I wish I had more time with him. I wish he could have seen the man I have become, because I can not think of a better reward for a father than to see their children grown, living and using what they provided as a parent.

210. eaglesoars
    212 | December 19, 2012 9:52 pm

citizen_q wrote:

I wish he could have seen the man I have become,

He knows.

Promise.

211. citizen_q
    213 | December 19, 2012 9:53 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Yes, I was in the car, so was my uncle, and my two brothers. Of those who survived, I was the most badly injured. Compound fracture of my left femur, simple fracture of my left clavicle cuts and bruises.

212. citizen_q
    214 | December 19, 2012 9:54 pm

Thanks

213. citizen_q
    215 | December 19, 2012 10:05 pm

Hmmm…. looks like I killed the thread.

Sorry

Good night all.

214. 216 | December 19, 2012 10:09 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Hey, got a question for you here- it looks like the better half & I might be our your way in June. I haven’t been to DC in about 25 years. What are some things, besides the Smithsonian, Arlington, and the Washington/Lincoln/Jefferson & Vietnam memorials worth seeing?

She’s got 2 days of training, and I might wander around a couple days on my own, stop in to the Human Events offices, and a few other things she wouldn’t be interested in.

215. eaglesoars
    217 | December 19, 2012 10:28 pm

@ mfhorn:

NOT THE WHITE HOUSE. You need a pass from your Congressional rep, blah blah blah.

Personally I think the Newseum is interesting.

Depending on the weather, I love the National Zoo.

United States Botanic Gardens

National Aquarium

Library of Congress (gorgeous)

United States Holocaust Museum

and there’s always Mt. Vernon.

There, there oughtta hold you for awhile.

216. eaglesoars
    218 | December 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Oh forgot Corcoran gallery

217. eaglesoars
    219 | December 19, 2012 10:37 pm

I should give you a heads up on the Holocaust Museum. I’ve been there twice but not for years. However, it was ALWAYS freaking freezing. Even if it’s 72 degrees outside here – bring a sweater/jacket.

218. eaglesoars
    220 | December 19, 2012 10:39 pm

I’m out for the nite.

ADMINS: permission granted to give mfhorn my email

219. 221 | December 19, 2012 10:40 pm

:) Thanks!

222 | December 19, 2012 10:50 pm

mfhorn wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

My sister, and her husband, live in Gaithersburg, MD, just Northwest of DC. When I spoke to her earlier this week she said the she and her husband spent last Friday at the National Air and Space Museum and it was most impressive. She gave it a rave review.

221. 223 | December 19, 2012 10:55 pm

New thread.

222. 224 | December 19, 2012 11:12 pm

@ huckfunn:

Air & Space museum is definitely on the list. My HS band director is buried at Arlington. I’ve got a college friend that teaches history, and he’s getting me a list, too. And a guy I work with will get me a list of places to eat (and NOT to eat!). We’ll be in Baltimore, and I can take the train in for just $11 and save the cost of a rental car, driving around and getting lost, and parking.

225 | December 20, 2012 12:41 am

@ 192 coldwarrior: I wonder how many of them voted for OBama or didn’t vote?

226 | December 20, 2012 12:42 am

@ 188 Urban Infidel: Lucky Strike cigarette commercials.

227 | December 20, 2012 12:43 am

@ 186 Urban Infidel: It’s actually rabbit though right? Processed to look and smell like fish to hide the source?