Rob Parker regrets RG III remarks

by Speranza ( 11 Comments › )
Filed under Headlines, Media, NFL, Racism at December 19th, 2012 - 6:13 pm

The thing he really regrets is being called out on his racist B.S.

Commentator Rob Parker has issued an apology for remarks he made on ESPN2′s “First Take” last week regarding Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III.

When discussing Griffin’s answer to a question about his role as an African-American quarterback, Parker questioned Griffin’s “blackness,” citing that the quarterback has a white fiancee and is rumored to be Republican as among his reasons.

“Is he a brother or a cornball brother?” said Parker, who is black. Later in the discussion, he added, “I’m just trying to dig deeper as to why he has an issue. Because we did find out with Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods was like, I’ve got black skin, but don’t call me black. So people got to wondering about Tiger Woods early on.”

In his statement Wednesday on his Twitter account, Parker, who has been suspended by ESPN until further notice, said, in part:

“I blew it and I’m sincerely sorry. I completely understand how the issue of race in sports is a sensitive one and needs to be handled with great care. This past Thursday I failed to do that. I believe the intended topic is a worthy one. Robert’s thoughts about being an African-American quarterback and the impact of his phenomenal success have been discussed in other media outlets, as well as among sports fans, particularly those in the African-American community. The failure was in how I chose to discuss it on First Take, and in doing so, turned a productive conversation into a negative one.”

The tweet continued: ” … I’ve contacted his agent with hopes of apologizing to Robert directly. As I reflect on this and move forward, I will take the time to consider how I can continue to tackle difficult, important topics in a much more thoughtful manner.”

Comments

11 Responses to “Rob Parker regrets RG III remarks”

1. livefreeor die
    1 | December 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Not much of an apology given that he still feels “the intended topic is a worthy one”. The racism he exhibited in his initial statements was inexcusable.

2 | December 19, 2012 10:52 pm

@ livefreeor die:
    His apology is so transparently insincere.

3. garycooper
    3 | December 19, 2012 11:02 pm

Parker has been an imbecile for the most part as long as he’s been reporting on sports in Detroit, which goes back some time. Not the first time he’s gotten into trouble, being stupid. I expect it won’t be the last.

4. 4 | December 19, 2012 11:06 pm

He made RGIII more popular.

5 | December 19, 2012 11:09 pm

I watch sports on TV for the enjoyment of the sport and competition. When these uninformed dimbulbs inject politics, race and religion into the program, it is a total turnoff. I don’t give a rip about their views. I want to watch the game.

6. 6 | December 19, 2012 11:20 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Same here. I am sick of these sports guys trying to be political gurus. That said, Parker clown has made RGIII very favorable to people.

7. livefreeor die
    7 | December 19, 2012 11:36 pm

As a third generation Redskins’ fan, I am still in shock that we have someone so good as our quarterback. We even have a back-up quarterback who can win! Pinch me, I’m dreaming.

8 | December 20, 2012 9:18 am

garycooper wrote:

He is following in Keith Olbermann’s footsteps. next stop -- a show on MSNBC!

9 | December 20, 2012 9:22 am

livefreeor die wrote:

Yes you have an excellent young QB as back up in Kirk Cousins who will probably have to be traded to make up for all the draft picks lost in the RG III trade to the Rams.

10. texasam7
    10 | December 20, 2012 1:58 pm

@ livefreeor die:
    This Jets fan is living the nightmare. Now I hear Michael Vick may be coming.

11 | December 20, 2012 2:22 pm

texasam7 wrote:

@ livefreeor die:
    This Jets fan is living the nightmare. Now I hear Michael Vick may be coming.

woof woof