Saturday Lecture Series, Christmas 2012.

by coldwarrior ( 65 Comments › )
Filed under Open thread, saturday lecture series at December 22nd, 2012 - 8:30 am

Let me be the first to offer everyone a very Merry Christmas.

There will be no lecture this Saturday or next. However, there is required reading.

A Reading on the Orthodox Church

Essentially the Orthodox Church shares much with the other Christian Churches in the belief that God revealed himself in Jesus Christ, and a belief in the incarnation of Christ, his crucifixion and resurrection. The Orthodox Church differs substantially in the way of life and worship.

This is testable material, and quite well written.

Comments

65 Responses to “Saturday Lecture Series, Christmas 2012.”

1. 1 | December 22, 2012 8:58 am

I took quite enough tests on religion at St. Thomas Moore, thank you very much.

That aside, however, a very Merry Christmas to all – I gotta go do some inevitable last-minute shopping. Then I suppose I should clean something, anything. There’s no end to that, after all. At least TGoP got her new recliner delivered yesterday.

2 | December 22, 2012 9:01 am

from another thread

lehman’s non electric catalog ON-LINE!

good stuff in there.

(we are not affiliated in any way but our family use a lot of amish goods.)

3 | December 22, 2012 9:08 am

couldn’t help it. ;)

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

4. Buckeye Abroad
    4 | December 22, 2012 9:10 am

Merry Christmas all. The girls have bronchitis, so it will be a quiet one in our household with a few coughs thrown in. Hopefully we’ll have better luck on the 7th.

5. 5 | December 22, 2012 9:18 am

Merry Christmas! I am on my way to South Carolina. It isn’t going to be fun. My dad is in pretty rough shape. We are probably going to have to move him to a long term care facility. Oh well. Hope everyone is having a good one.

6 | December 22, 2012 9:20 am

Buckeye Abroad wrote:

humidifiers.

and vicks.

С Рождеством Христовым!

7 | December 22, 2012 9:25 am

oh man. :(

go look at the places first and talk to the nurses and staff. that will give you the best feel for the place.

dont give the place any heads up on that interview tho. make it a surprise.

8. 8 | December 22, 2012 9:36 am

Thanks! I am totally at sea here.

9 | December 22, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks! I am totally at sea here.

walk around and look at the floors, the corners, the rear of the buildings, the staff’s desks. the employee area will reveal much detail. use your nose as well.

interview the staff who will be taking care of dad.

our case managers deal with a lot of ipr/snf’s so i have heard the horror stories and the praise.

10 | December 22, 2012 9:52 am

That’s rough. Prayers for you and yours.

No confirmation in the orthodox church, I noticed.

11 | December 22, 2012 10:02 am

Bumr50 wrote:

No confirmation in the orthodox church, I noticed.

dont need it. chrismation covers that at baptism or is used for converts who have already been baptized in another christian faith. ‘born again’ is also not needed as chrismation makes one:

The sacrament of chrismation is an extension of the day of Pentecost, on which the Holy Spirit was poured out on the Apostles. It is by chrismation that a person becomes a layperson — a member of the laos (laity), the people of God. Metropolitan Kallistos (Timothy Ware) explains:

Through Chrismation every member of the Church becomes a prophet, and receives a share in the royal priesthood of Christ; all Christians alike, because they are chrismated, are called to act as conscious witnesses to the Truth. “You have an anointing (chrisma) from the Holy One, and know all things” (1John 2:20)

12 | December 22, 2012 10:03 am

and wow, if you could talk to some family of patients that would be very useful. but probably wont happen as the hipaa laws pretty much squash that idea.

13. 13 | December 22, 2012 10:07 am

Merry Christmas to you all! I’m going down to Mom’s today for dinner; my brother leaves for FL tomorrow. that, and I get to try her new Internet connection!

14 | December 22, 2012 10:13 am

A two-fer!

As a Roman Catholic, I was a bit uneasy about the Sacrament of Confirmation as it occurred for me at an age where I was questioning everything (14-15) and honestly felt pressured into it.

OTOH, I got to see (then) Bishop Wuerl getting out of his car and putting his crosier together out of a briefcase!

15 | December 22, 2012 10:17 am

Bumr50 wrote:

Bishop Wuerl

cardinal now.

he’s a good guy

16 | December 22, 2012 10:17 am

And then there are the famous Muslim sacraments, such as burning people for blasphemy:

Mob in Pakistan sets mentally unstable man on fire after he was accused of burning Koran

A mob in southern Pakistan stormed a police station to seize a mentally unstable Muslim man accused of burning a copy of Islam’s holy book, beat him to death, and then set his body afire, police said Saturday.

The case is likely to raise further concerns about the country’s harsh blasphemy laws, which can result in a death sentence or life in prison to anyone found guilty. Critics say an accusation or investigation alone can lead to deaths, as people take the law into their own hands and kill those accused of violating it. Police stations and even courts have been attacked by mobs.

Local police official Bihar-ud-Din said police arrested the man on Friday after being informed by residents that he had burned a Koran inside a mosque where he had been staying for a night.

An angry mob of more than 200 people then broke into the police station in the southern town of Dadu and took the accused man, who they say was under questioning. Din said police tried their best to save the man’s life but were unable to stop the furious crowd.

17 | December 22, 2012 10:22 am

I just don’t understand why we can’t find common ground with these
    superstitious savages.
    Maybe we need to make more of an effort./

18 | December 22, 2012 10:28 am

From the required reading.

However, in the minds of most Orthodox, a decisive moment was the sack of Constantinople in 1204 during the (Western Christian) Fourth Crusade. The sacking of Constantinople by the Crusaders eventually led to the loss of this Byzantine capital to the Muslim Ottomans in 1453. This has never been forgotten.

19 | December 22, 2012 10:30 am

I just don’t understand why we can’t find common ground with these
    superstitious savages.
    Maybe we need to make more of an effort./

I’m sure that’s it…

20 | December 22, 2012 10:32 am

Bumr50 wrote:

From the required reading.

that and bombing the serbs.

21. 21 | December 22, 2012 10:40 am

Rest homes for the elderly. visit often. make friends with other patients and their families. compare information and experiences.

Merry Christmas to all.

I am extremely angry today. I have decided to dump a friend. Permanently. For refusing to listen to facts let alone reason. Here’s the account of it and how i got to making it….

I follow Crusader Rabbit (the one from down under who is not the CR who posts here) and read his link to Jew Without A Gun. This is an account of the LA riots after the Rodney King verdict in 1992. Please read it. It’s a harrowing story of one man, his wife, and their two children got out of an area of active rioting to the relative safety of their home and became a good weapon-owning Conservative. it’s a good reminder of what we face if we let them take our personal weapons. i know no one here needs reminding, but maybe someone will see it.

I posted at CRs in reaction…

I grew up in Los Angeles. Lived through the LA riots of 1960s. Same deal – fear, hiding, people beat and murdered for the color of their skin. Barbarians. One of my earliest living memories is of hiding in the back of the house as a toddler. All the women back there trying to keep all the children and babies quiet. All these years later, my oldest brother told me what was going on in the front of the house. Pops, several of his brothers who lived nearby, a number of men of a variety of “races” (technically, they were all the same race – HUMAN) from Pops work were all there. They had answered the call for help. With guns. Many guns. All lined up. Pops said to my brother, “Boy, load them weapons.” Taught him how to do one and expected him to figure out the rest, which he did. Those MEN stood guard over us all until the danger had passed. This happened several times over the years.

Anyone who reads this and wonders if we were in any danger can look at a map of Los Angeles, south central LA, Compton, and Carson. I grew up in Carson 10 miles (almost exactly) due south of the Watts Towers.

The other day a now former friend stated that “no one should have automatic weapons like that guy who shot up that school in CT”. No amount of words could convince her that she had been lied to and that the weapon was not automatic. In fact, she said it didn’t matter because no one should have guns that “look like they could mow people down”. I tried to illustrate the idiocy involved in banning things that “looked scary” and ignoring equally lethal weapons that weren’t as scary looking – to demonstrate that it’s not just the scary ones they want. No amount of facts and logic worked. I ultimately had to say, “you’re entitled to your own opinion but you’re not entitled to your own facts.” That confused her. She really is stupid. I’m very disappointed.

In the future, I shall be alot more careful about those who i help and/or befriend. Had I known she wanted to disarm me, I never would have helped her all those years. Her own damn stupid adult kids who treat her like crap when they pay any attention to her at all can help her from now on. Helping her was never about her at all – it was about ME as a decent human being helping someone in need. So, I’m good with all that i’ve done and with this final decision even though I do have a small regret wasting money on her when I could have spent it for more weapons and ammunition.

Anybody think I’m wrong to cut her loose?

22 | December 22, 2012 10:40 am

Heads up.

Daily Caller readers report malware warning when trying to visit the site

ht – Twitchy

23 | December 22, 2012 10:41 am

Pretty strange. When I try to go to The Daily Caller website, I get a malware alert from Google and I can’t enter the site. However, I can get into the site through IE.

24 | December 22, 2012 10:42 am

@ Bumr50:
    Beat me by that much.

25. 25 | December 22, 2012 10:43 am

another mob of crazed, demon-possessed lost souls. It’s coming. It’s only a matter of time.

26 | December 22, 2012 10:45 am

Kirly wrote:

Anybody think I’m wrong to cut her loose?

Nope.

Ignorance can be helped.

Willful ignorance, not so much. And it’s a disturbing trend in society, especially with facts and information never closer or more accessible.

27. 27 | December 22, 2012 10:50 am

@ Bumr50:
    thanks.

i find it a confusing and lonely world surrounded by people like this. if they get their way, it’ll be LA riots all the time. we already have the violent flash mobs. it’s just a matter of time.

28 | December 22, 2012 10:51 am

@ huckfunn:

Since it’s only affecting Chrome, I wonder if it’s more of an Android bug.

Do those even exist?

29 | December 22, 2012 10:53 am

Bumr50 wrote:

@ huckfunn:

Since it’s only affecting Chrome, I wonder if it’s more of an Android bug.

Do those even exist?

I’m thinking that someone who doesn’t like The Daily Caller put some kind of hex on their site. It works, slowly, in IE.

30 | December 22, 2012 10:54 am

@ Kirly:

This shooting has moved the mainstream “conversation” into the dangerous territory of including all semi-auto small arms into the “assault weapon” (another redundancy, like “hate crime”) category, IMHO.

31 | December 22, 2012 10:58 am

@ Kirly:

It’s pure closed-mindedness.

Once a person has insulated themselves from facts, there can no longer be meaningful two-way discussion.

32 | December 22, 2012 10:58 am

Bumr50 wrote:

@ Kirly:

From NY Gov. Cuomo:

In the interview, Mr. Cuomo did not offer specifics about the measures he might propose, but, while discussing assault weapons, he said: “Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option — keep your gun but permit it.”

33. 33 | December 22, 2012 11:00 am

@ Kirly:

I have friends and family that are a full 180 degrees away from me on a number of issues, including this one. Never dumped a one of them for it. What I have dumped those who were always glad to hear from me – provided I was the one to initiate contact. Ran an experiment once on two of these folks, people I had know for decades. Not a peep out of either one for years now. Some friends, eh?

That’s not really advice, BTW, just a related tale and completely anecdotal. Everybody has to make their own way through such matters.

34 | December 22, 2012 11:00 am

@ huckfunn:

Saw that.

It’s sad to me that someone in such a powerful position in America can say that without fear of being run out of town on a rail.

Unbridled and unapologetic tyranny.

35. 35 | December 22, 2012 11:02 am

@ Bumr50:
    indeed. last night my last remaining paternal uncle who i kind of have to tolerate also said that the CT school shooter used an automatic weapon. he argued and said it was on CNN. i used that to illustrate why I don’t trust or watch television news – they LIED or they are too stupid to know the difference. He at least listened to reason when I told him what sort of gun it was and that it was indeed a SEMI-auto.

it’s enough to make a person want to go live in the wilderness away from all the crazies.

36 | December 22, 2012 11:03 am

@ huckfunn:

Interesting theory from a commenter (Ken Danieli) at Twitchy:

An organized group might have falsely used Google’s tool for reporting sites as containing malware. And they might have timed it to happen on Saturday morning at Christmas to possibly maximize the length of the “outage.” If so, this could happen to any conservative website. Here’s the link that Google provides for individuals to report websites as having malware: http://www.google.com/safebrow

37. 37 | December 22, 2012 11:03 am

Mike C. wrote:

@ Kirly:

I have friends and family that are a full 180 degrees away from me on a number of issues, including this one. Never dumped a one of them for it. What I have dumped those who were always glad to hear from me — provided I was the one to initiate contact. Ran an experiment once on two of these folks, people I had know for decades. Not a peep out of either one for years now. Some friends, eh?

oh yeah, i have had several of those too. one sided so-called friendships. i don’t need ‘em.

38 | December 22, 2012 11:05 am

I just don’t understand why we can’t find common ground with these
    superstitious savages.
    Maybe we need to make more of an effort./

There’s plenty of common ground to be utilized in our relations with the World’s muslims. They want to get to their paradise and we as good citizens of the same World should be doing everything we can to help them get there. :twisted:

39. 39 | December 22, 2012 11:06 am

huckfunn wrote:

From NY Gov. Cuomo:

and all the millions and millions of weapons purchased through private sales, like all of mine, will go un-permitted permanently. or, until some idiot down the line turns them in voluntarily.

40 | December 22, 2012 11:06 am

@ huckfunn:

cumo just wrecked any chance he has at national politics.

oh wait, the gop will be too stupid/spineless to bring up his confiscation comments.

cumo will be president.

41 | December 22, 2012 11:09 am

@ Kirly:
    Got this email from the NRA this morning:
    The Battle is Not Coming–It is Here! You Must Remain Engaged!

42. eaglesoars
    42 | December 22, 2012 11:13 am

oh jeez. I’m so sorry. I have no advice for you. Mom had to go to rehab for a month once – but my BIL is a physician in town so she got the best – and hospice was a HUGE help. We were able to keep her at home and she died in her own bed surrounded by all of us.

Kirly wrote:

i find it a confusing and lonely world surrounded by people like this.

You’re not alone dear. You just got about 8000/day new friends according to the NRA!! And if you think about it, your former friend is to be pitied. She has what is known as learned-helplessness. Those of us who are immune to that bull really make these people feel threatened – like prey vs. predator. So their answer is not to become self-reliant, it’s to declaw the rest of us.

Hey CW, I tried to click to the Saints page – access denied, some kind error. It was quite interesting reading, tho, thanks!

43 | December 22, 2012 11:15 am

@ huckfunn:

why i wont vote for gov christie if he is nominated.

period.

even though my gunz were lost to a lahar after the blizzard and volcano of 93, i still hold the 2d amendment as my only final red line. if a politician cant trust me to enjoy the 2d amendment, i cant trust him with my vote.

44 | December 22, 2012 11:16 am

eaglesoars wrote:

Hey CW, I tried to click to the Saints page — access denied, some kind error. It was quite interesting reading, tho, thanks!

hmmm…didnt click on that. dunno???

i’m glad you enjoyed the read.

45. eaglesoars
    45 | December 22, 2012 11:19 am

Mike C. wrote:

I had a girlfriend that I met at the Swamp – she lived in the area. She went thru some tough times and we did everything we could to help. But somehow, she ‘forgot’ lunch dates (she had to play golf) and when she moved didn’t have time to get together to say goodbye because she had to see her family – whom she hates. Stuff like that. Yeah, she got dumped.

46 | December 22, 2012 11:19 am

Well said. I see that the supposedly “pro-gun” Senator Manchin (D-WV) is now on the gun control band wagon. I knew that as soon as he was re-elected we would see his true colors. I don’t think that his new position will go over well with the ‘Neers.

47 | December 22, 2012 11:23 am

@ huckfunn:

‘neers will make him pay for that.

48. 48 | December 22, 2012 11:36 am

eaglesoars wrote:

Kirly wrote:
    i find it a confusing and lonely world surrounded by people like this.
    You’re not alone dear. You just got about 8000/day new friends according to the NRA!! And if you think about it, your former friend is to be pitied. She has what is known as learned-helplessness. Those of us who are immune to that bull really make these people feel threatened — like prey vs. predator. So their answer is not to become self-reliant, it’s to declaw the rest of us.

8000/day? not a bad haul. thanks for pointing that out. it’s giving me an idea.

yes, i pity the old woman. i do. always have actually. i helped her because her stupid family refused to. when the shit hits the fan, she can depend on them. they don’t even keep any food in their house (bring in something prepared or eat out every day) so they’ll all be part of the weeping, wailing, and starving fools.

49 | December 22, 2012 11:37 am

Hope so, but it will be another six years.

50 | December 22, 2012 11:37 am

a glimpse into our economic future?

“The president is out of sync,” said Moyano, who in recent months has increasingly appeared alongside her political opponents and often speaks out against the government that he long championed.

Fernandez was re-elected with 54 percent of the vote last year, but her popularity has declined since she began digging ever deeper into the pockets of the middle and upper classes to finance her populist policies.

With inflation running at about 25 percent a year, Argentines have sought to change their pesos for dollars, but the government has cracked down on such trades and made it nearly impossible to obtain dollars legally.

Most Argentines surveyed in polls say they’re most worried by a rise in crime and consumer prices and the strict currency controls.

51 | December 22, 2012 11:38 am

huckfunn wrote:

Hope so, but it will be another six years.

the stupid party will ‘forget’ to bring it up.

52. 52 | December 22, 2012 11:43 am

I view the 2nd as a kind of touchstone. Tell me what a politician thinks on that subject, and I’ll learn all I need to know about him/her. I can deduce most everything out from there.

53 | December 22, 2012 11:44 am

huckfunn wrote:

Hope so, but it will be another six years.

the stupid party will ‘forget’ to bring it up.

Add one more reason to the growing list of why the Seventeenth Amendment needs to be repealed.

54. 54 | December 22, 2012 11:46 am

Mike C. wrote:

that’s exactly right. hence my dumping the former friend – i don’t trust people who want me disarmed. same concept.

55. 55 | December 22, 2012 11:47 am

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

Seventeenth Amendment needs to be repealed

that was just one more step toward mob rule

56. 56 | December 22, 2012 11:50 am

New Thread up in 10 minutes.

57 | December 22, 2012 11:52 am

mao was very correct when he said:

Every Communist must grasp the truth, “Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.”

“Problems of War and Strategy” (November 6, 1938), Selected Works, Vol. II, p. 224.

58 | December 22, 2012 11:53 am

@ Kirly:

and it really is a ‘trust thing’

59 | December 22, 2012 11:53 am

Kirly wrote:

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

Seventeenth Amendment needs to be repealed

that was just one more step toward mob rule

That was a huge step in the wrong direction. If we really want to restore the Republic the Seventeenth Amendment has to go.

60 | December 22, 2012 11:57 am

mao was very correct when he said:

It’s damn near impossible to intimidate an armed population and the Government will go broke trying to bribe everyone. :grin:

61 | December 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

Government will go broke

lets hope so. the sooner the better

62 | December 22, 2012 12:06 pm

We are advocates of the abolition of war, we do not want war; but war can only be abolished through war, and in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun.

“Problems of War and Strategy” (November 6, 1938), Selected Works, Vol. II, p. 225.

63 | December 22, 2012 12:20 pm

What I totally fail to understand is why the Progressives embrace appeasement and shun deterrence. And “They” do this at all levels from International to the Personal. :roll:

64. 64 | December 22, 2012 12:49 pm

I visited an Orthodox church here in Wichita a couple of years ago. Very different style than I’m used to. Very formal & beautiful. It’s something I certainly learned from, but I don’t think it’d be something I could do on a weekly basis. I would like to go back, though.

65 | December 22, 2012 6:49 pm