End of the world? Not so much!

by 1389AD ( 165 Comments › )
Filed under Humor, Open thread at December 24th, 2012 - 12:00 pm

Archaeologists with Mayan calendar: Best I can decipher, it says we're all going over some kind of cliff...

2 Mayan guys: 'Wanna beer?' 'I'm working on this calendar, but I guess if I don't finish it won't be the end of the world.

'So how come it ends in 2012?' 'I ran out of space on the rock.'

I survived the Mayan Apocalypse and all I got was this lousy T-shirt!

Life goes on despite ‘Mayan Apocalypse’

Published on Dec 19, 2012 by AlJazeeraEnglish

Thousands of tourists are flocking to Mexico’s Yucatan peninsula to be part of the so-called “Mayan Apocalypse”. Many of them believe the world is coming to an end this Friday, when a major cycle of the Mayan calendar ends. Some say the 5000-year-old Mayan civilization is entering a new era.

So what do the Mayan people think themselves? Al Jazeera’s David Mercer visited a Guatemalan highland village to find out.

Also see:

Tags: ,

Comments

165 Responses to “End of the world? Not so much!”

1 | December 24, 2012 12:16 pm

When will Obama take credit for saving the World from the Mayan Apocalypse… :twisted:

2. MikeA
    2 | December 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Does this mean that I need to pay back all that stuff I charged on my credit card? Wait… I can always print more money like the govt!!!

3. song_and_dance_man
    3 | December 24, 2012 12:21 pm

The apocalypse occurred on Nov. 6 /

4. 4 | December 24, 2012 12:30 pm

@ MikeA:

Just call uncle Ben to print more!

5. Buffalobob
    5 | December 24, 2012 12:30 pm

obama is sending US troops to Africa. Now what could possible go wrong with that?

6. 6 | December 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Like this is a bad thing?

Race-hatred against Muslims is high among Russians

It’s not due to race.

7. 7 | December 24, 2012 12:38 pm

OKay, that second cartoon is the best non-political one RE this that I have seen yet…

8. 8 | December 24, 2012 12:38 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

That was just the Dragon giving power to the Beast… 8O

9. 9 | December 24, 2012 12:42 pm

See the link in my #6. This Kaplan guy is one of these Internationalists who poses as a Conservative.

10. 11 | December 24, 2012 12:46 pm

@ MacDuff:

Watch the left use this. I do hope, the jerk that did this gets his.

12 | December 24, 2012 12:52 pm

This must never happen again.
    We must ban assault matches now.

12. song_and_dance_man
    13 | December 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Race-hatred against Muslims is high among Russians

It’s not due to race.

Right. Being a Muslim doesn’t include you into any given race. And one can’t be judged a racist for being against anothers behavior.

14 | December 24, 2012 12:55 pm

When Clinton was Presidnt he asked Congress for funding to
    place armed guards in schools.
    I wondre if Schumer & the rest thought that was
    crazy talk.

14. 15 | December 24, 2012 12:57 pm

@ MacDuff:

Watch the left use this. I do hope, the jerk that did this gets his.

I’ve no doubt they will.

Also, this is odd as hell….

Webster, a middle-class, lakeside suburb, now is the scene of violence linked to house fires for two Decembers in a row.

Last Dec. 7, authorities say, a 15-year-old boy doused his home with gasoline and set it ablaze, killing his father and two brothers, 16 and 12. His mother and 13-year-old sister escaped with injuries. He is being prosecuted as an adult.

15. song_and_dance_man
    16 | December 24, 2012 12:57 pm

And… although he raised taxes he cut spending. I take Wet over the Chair any day.

16. 17 | December 24, 2012 12:59 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

Kaplan is a supporter of Islam. yet becomes he believes in nation building, they call him a Conservative.

17. 18 | December 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Damn. There’s both pumpkin pie AND turkey in the oven here (the smells are overwhelming), AND it just started snowing… Christmas, anybody?

19 | December 24, 2012 1:04 pm

From his wiki page:

Demand for Kaplan’s unorthodox analysis became more popular after the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C. In his book, Warrior Politics: Why Leadership Demands a Pagan Ethos, published shortly after 9/11, Kaplan offered the opinion that political and business leaders should discard Christian/Jewish morality in public decision-making in favor of a pagan morality focused on the morality of the result rather than the morality of the means. He also published a pure travel book titled Mediterranean Winter.

Emph. mine.

19. song_and_dance_man
    20 | December 24, 2012 1:05 pm

In light and right of Islam he IS a conservative. But being a supporter of Islam, to us he is a full fledged member of the LLL.

20. 21 | December 24, 2012 1:07 pm

@ Bumr50:

He should be ignored.

21. 22 | December 24, 2012 1:09 pm

I guess anti-Nazis are just racists, too… :roll:

22. 23 | December 24, 2012 1:11 pm

he should be ignored.

23. 24 | December 24, 2012 1:12 pm

I guess anti-Nazis are just racists, too…

Yea Russians hating Islam is the same as Neo-Nazis. This guy is intellectually dishonest.

24. song_and_dance_man
    25 | December 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Too many people are ignorant or in denial with the greater portion populating the ranks of the global Left.

25. 26 | December 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Guess not. Well, I tried…

26. song_and_dance_man
    27 | December 24, 2012 1:14 pm

he should be ignored.

I agree, but it was you who linked his spiel.

27. 28 | December 24, 2012 1:16 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

Yes I linked him because this is who the elite of the GOP listen to on foreign policy. It’s why both parties are Globalist Pro-Islamic fools.

28. 29 | December 24, 2012 1:17 pm

@ Mike C.:
    It won’t work. Rodan is like a pit bull on these things… :P

29. 30 | December 24, 2012 1:18 pm

@ Bumr50:

The morality of the result of an Islam-free world is without question, so this guy supports genocide? The morality of the means doesn’t matter to him, after all…

31 | December 24, 2012 1:19 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    With the possible exception of Satan, I prefer anyone to
    our current President.

31. song_and_dance_man
    32 | December 24, 2012 1:23 pm

OT on an open thread.

I made a very tasty meal two nights ago. I pan seared a powder mustard and cilantro rubbed Ahi steak, with a rice and pea risotto side and a pickled ginger salad. You would not believe how good ranch dressing goes with pickled ginger.

32. 33 | December 24, 2012 1:23 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    With the possible exception of Satan, I prefer anyone to
    our current President.

What about Charles Johnson?

33. song_and_dance_man
    34 | December 24, 2012 1:24 pm

Do you happen to know Kerry’s stance when it comes to Islam?

34. song_and_dance_man
    35 | December 24, 2012 1:26 pm

What about Charles Johnson?

I can see it now. He would be doling out Gov. Cheetos.

36 | December 24, 2012 1:28 pm

What about Charles Johnson?

Only if the Oval Office could be moved to the White House basement… :twisted:

37 | December 24, 2012 1:29 pm

I just had a CJ sighting.

Following the Left’s war on critical thinking by completely disregarding the Newtown shooter’s mental health issues.

I guess they had nothing to do with it.

38 | December 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

Only if the Oval Office could be moved to the White House basement… :twisted:

There was a lot of underground construction going on at the White House…

38. 39 | December 24, 2012 1:31 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Do you happen to know Kerry’s stance when it comes to Islam?

he supports it.

39. 40 | December 24, 2012 1:32 pm

@ Bumr50:

Charles has been attacking the mental illness angle now since the shooting. he is mentally ill after all!

40. song_and_dance_man
    41 | December 24, 2012 1:33 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

Only if the Oval Office could be moved to the White House basement…

And the White House moved to the Denver Airport.

41. 42 | December 24, 2012 1:33 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

Not my cup of tea, food wise, but sounds innovative.

Turkey is out of the oven, pumpkin pie is in final countdawn, and as soon as the dishwasher stops, I can hand-wash all the tukey roasting crap. THEN it’s on to the green beans prelims…

42. song_and_dance_man
    43 | December 24, 2012 1:34 pm

@ Bumr50:
    Right. To them it’s about the guns and not the psychos whose fingers are on them.

44 | December 24, 2012 1:35 pm

So why does the White House need all this but our children’s schools are required to be gun free and defenseless?

44. 45 | December 24, 2012 1:35 pm

The snow is sticking to at least the trees and grass out there at the moment. Looks downright seasonal…

45. song_and_dance_man
    46 | December 24, 2012 1:36 pm

@ Mike C.:
    I like to experiment with my cooking. And BTW Merry Christmas and the pies sound like their gonna be good.

46. song_and_dance_man
    47 | December 24, 2012 1:39 pm

@ waldensianspirit:
    Yea, he’s got Kevlar armor but he’s wearing a Watchman’s cap. What’s up with that?

47. song_and_dance_man
    48 | December 24, 2012 1:41 pm

@ Mike C.:
    The only White Christmas I’ve ever experienced was my second year in NM. And it was a 100 year storm so it was really white.

49 | December 24, 2012 1:42 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

He’s been meeting with Assad and Morsi.

He’s probably been more of the ACTUAL SecState for the past year than Hillary.

49. song_and_dance_man
    50 | December 24, 2012 1:43 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

That is a great point. I’m sure Capitol Hill, where the Reid and Pelosi gang hang out, has armed security as well. It’s OK for them, but not for the proles.

50. song_and_dance_man
    51 | December 24, 2012 1:48 pm

@ Bumr50:
    Just googled his courting the MB. We are now officially in deeper poodoo.

52 | December 24, 2012 1:49 pm

@ Bumr50:
    Just googled his courting the MB. We are now officially in deeper poodoo.

He’ll get us into more and bad wars

53 | December 24, 2012 1:51 pm

We’ll be sitting helpless and under duress as our country joins all the others in “internationalising” Israel

53. 54 | December 24, 2012 1:57 pm

@ waldensianspirit:

With the blessings of John McCain amd Miss Lindsey.

54. 55 | December 24, 2012 1:59 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

The Christmas I got my tobbagan, it was sunny and 70 degrees F. Oops. The next winter, we were stuck in the house for two weeks before we could walk out 1.5 miles over the fields to catch a ride to town and get food, which we dragged back to the house overland on snow coasters. Our dirt road was blocked by a 35′ snow drift, which the Corps of Engineers finally came in and dynamited.

55. eaglesoars
    56 | December 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Hello. All my chores are done (including cleaning the fridge – yuck). I’m sitting here with my whiskey and coke and when I’m finished with it, I’m taking a shower and getting really made up, giving myself a manicure, a pedicure.

Mike C. – you’re cooking Christams dinner today??

I’m making scones tomorrow for the first time. Please pray for me.

57 | December 24, 2012 1:59 pm

With the blessings of John McCain amd Miss Lindsey

The gifts to the Left that keep on giving.

57. 58 | December 24, 2012 2:00 pm

majority of Americans oppose intervention in Syria. But look who wants us to get involved!

When it comes to the suggestion of Washington using military airplanes or missiles in the conflict, there appears to be a partisan divide and a gender gap, with Democrats divided, Republicans slightly in favor and independents opposed, and with men divided and women opposed.

Why are there Republicans who want to support the Muslim Brotherhood and al-Qaeda? This is just sick.

58. 59 | December 24, 2012 2:01 pm

@ Bumr50:

See my # 58. It’s Republican voters who want intervention in Syria on behalf of AQ/MB. We really are the stupid party!

59. eaglesoars
    60 | December 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Mike C. wrote:

OMG! Where was this?

60. eaglesoars
    61 | December 24, 2012 2:02 pm

That Webster shooter committed suicide.

61. 62 | December 24, 2012 2:02 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I’m sitting here with my whiskey and coke

I’m enjoying Arizona Fruit Punch.

62. eaglesoars
    63 | December 24, 2012 2:05 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I’m sitting here with my whiskey and coke

I’m enjoying Arizona Fruit Punch.

What is that? (We have a friend who ordered Long Island Ice Tea, not knowing what was in it and came back from lunch so loaded she fell asleep at her desk!)

63. 64 | December 24, 2012 2:09 pm

@ eaglesoars:

We try to get some of the Christmas dinner heavy lifting out of the way on the 24th. Cook the bird, make the cranberry sauce and pies, clean, clean, and clean some more. Anything to lessen the load tomorrow.

65 | December 24, 2012 2:09 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Arizona Fruit Punch.

They also make a mean Green Tea and Arnold Palmer.

65. eaglesoars
    66 | December 24, 2012 2:10 pm

@ Bumr50:

Oh, I’ve seen their Green Tea. Maybe I’ll try it. Currently, I’m loving Pellegrino carbonated water.

66. 67 | December 24, 2012 2:11 pm

INTIMIDATION: NY NEWSPAPER PUBLISHES NAMES, ADDRESSES OF GUN PERMIT HOLDERS

Unf**kigbelievable. If there’s a more breathtaking example of wanton irresponsibility in the press, I’m not aware of it. No, it’s terrorism, plain and simple.

67. 68 | December 24, 2012 2:11 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Mike C. wrote:
    OMG! Where was this?

THat was actually in Loudoun County, Northern Virginia. Winter of 65, IIRC. It was truly bibllical, or at least it was for that part of the world.

69 | December 24, 2012 2:15 pm

@ MacDuff:

To balance it out, they could post all of the names and addresses of those convicted of gun crimes.

69. eaglesoars
    70 | December 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Mike C. wrote:

THat was actually in Loudoun County, Northern Virginia.

heh. I believe it. The first winter in this house in Alexanria(1995) Hubby had a business trip to Mexico. We got 22 inches. I shoveled that. Then a few days later we got 24 inches. Shoveled THAT.

I got some serious jewelry out of all that shoveling.

70. song_and_dance_man
    71 | December 24, 2012 2:19 pm

@ Mike C.:
    I grew up in SoCal so the only snow we could enjoy was high in the mountain range above LA.

The storm we got here dumped about two feet, which is a lot for ABQ. I was the only one who showed up for work on time. Yeah I had to work Christmas day. In my job we have static RDO’s

71. eaglesoars
    72 | December 24, 2012 2:20 pm

MacDuff wrote:

INTIMIDATION: NY NEWSPAPER PUBLISHES NAMES, ADDRESSES OF GUN PERMIT HOLDERS

meh. If your weapons are secured when you’re gone, no biggy. Otherwise those permit holders are probably the safest people w/in miles. I think the whole thing backfires.

72. song_and_dance_man
    73 | December 24, 2012 2:20 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

I’m sitting here with my whiskey and coke and when I’m finished with it

I’m about to fetch some beer and then time to cook. I’m alone this holiday so I’ll be cooking for just me. Which means I can cook what I like without having to consider my sons palate.

73. song_and_dance_man
    74 | December 24, 2012 2:22 pm

That’s a CNN poll. I don’t trust it.

75 | December 24, 2012 2:23 pm

@ MacDuff:
    Ah , the complexity of the Progressive mind.
    Abortion is an absolute Constitutional right, even though no one
    can find it in the document & the Court did mental gymnastics
    to make it up.
    On the other hand the Second Amendment should be trashed,
    because it came from a bunch of old, dead honkys.

75. song_and_dance_man
    76 | December 24, 2012 2:24 pm

MacDuff wrote:

INTIMIDATION: NY NEWSPAPER PUBLISHES NAMES, ADDRESSES OF GUN PERMIT HOLDERS

There is a bright side to this. The criminals now know which houses to avoid. Which means it will be more likely that Lefty houses will be targeted.

76. eaglesoars
    77 | December 24, 2012 2:26 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

Do you pickle your own ginger? If so, can you tell me how to do it?

77. song_and_dance_man
    78 | December 24, 2012 2:31 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Yes. I peel a bunch of ginger, slice it thin, put it in a Kerr type jar add rice vinegar (get high quality) and add a tablespoon of sugar. Shake well and then let it set for at least 3 weeks in the fridge. Higher quality vinegar will cause the ginger to turn slightly rose in color. This is desired.

I developed a taste for this during my sushi eating days. It goes great with fish and veggies.

78. 79 | December 24, 2012 2:34 pm

@ Bumr50:
    @ eaglesoars:

I duuno, folks. Even though I’m assuming this is “public” info, I have a serious problem with a newspaper using their megaphone to compile and publish information on law-abiding citizens. A lot of info is publicly accessible, but publishing it as lists in a newspaper seems highly abusive.

How about marital status? How about the names, ages and genders of people by address? Maybe it’s just me, but I think this is a significant escalation.

79. 80 | December 24, 2012 2:35 pm

MacDuff wrote:
    INTIMIDATION: NY NEWSPAPER PUBLISHES NAMES, ADDRESSES OF GUN PERMIT HOLDERS

They also know which houses to burglarize for firearms.

Oh, and Merry Christmas my hard rocking guitar friend… :grin:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAHwf2_Ao50

80. eaglesoars
    81 | December 24, 2012 2:36 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

Well THAT sounds easy enough. Straight to my recipe folder. I asked the guys at the sushi restaurant I go to how to make it. They had no clue. They just buy it.

Thank you!

81. 82 | December 24, 2012 2:36 pm

@ Bumr50:

I don’t agree with him, but OTOH, Islamic doctrine demands a world free of non-Muslims.

Food for thought.

82. song_and_dance_man
    83 | December 24, 2012 2:37 pm

I think I’m going with a BBQ ribeye with sides of papitas and asparagus in hollendaise sauce.

83. 84 | December 24, 2012 2:39 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Mike C. wrote:
    THat was actually in Loudoun County, Northern Virginia.
    I got some serious jewelry out of all that shoveling.

Better than getting a heart attack, which is what people my age get when they do that much shoveling. That’s one reason why I’m currently living far enough south where I don’t have to shovel. If I ever end up in a cold climate again I’ll make sure I don’t have to do my own shoveling.

It isn’t the exercise itself that induces the heart failure – it’s hard exercise in the cold. That is also an asthma trigger in susceptible individuals.

85 | December 24, 2012 2:39 pm

@ MacDuff:
    I would like to see a newspaper publish a list of suspected
    gun owning gang bangers in Chicagos South & West Sides.
    And then leave their own address.

85. 86 | December 24, 2012 2:40 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Tomorrow we’re going out to eat with a friend and we’re getting Chinese food. We celebrate Christmas on the old calendar and we have plans for that too.

86. eaglesoars
    87 | December 24, 2012 2:40 pm

MacDuff wrote:

I think this is a significant escalation.

Of course it is. But we’ve all known that in the current progressive environment crap like this was coming. My attitude is BRING IT.

When we’re not here, our weapons are secured. Try to break into the house and the cops will be here in minutes. Try to break in when we ARE here –

Remember when somebody published Michelle Malkins address/phone, etc.?

88 | December 24, 2012 2:41 pm

@ 67 MacDuff: Seems like a way to pressure people to conform. I’d rather see the national ID card with the denial of gun permit info on it.

1. John Doe insane -not allowed to buy or own a gun.

Of course we have seen in the past few days that libs think anyone irritated about them is insane. Would need to be a high bar.

88. song_and_dance_man
    89 | December 24, 2012 2:41 pm

doriangrey wrote:

They also know which houses to burglarize for firearms.

Oh, and Merry Christmas my hard rocking guitar friend…

Very cool. And thanks and Merry Christmas to you as well my axe wielding and amp riding bud.

One of my New Years resolutions is to get off my ass and start using my already put together home studio.

To the article. I thought of that also, but if the owners are registered they are more likely to be responsible guns owners with safes.

89. 90 | December 24, 2012 2:42 pm

MacDuff wrote:

@ Bumr50:
    @ eaglesoars:

If anybody gets burglarized and their guns are stolen, wouldn’t they have grounds to sue the paper?

For that matter, I think anybody on the list could sue for invasion of privacy.

90. eaglesoars
    91 | December 24, 2012 2:43 pm

1389AD wrote:

It was 20 yrs ago. No way I could do it today. Well, I could if I had to – I’d just be a lot slower.

92 | December 24, 2012 2:45 pm

liberals…
    using armed guards to protect schools is outrageous even insane!…
    spending the time and energy to find and publish gun owners info, FOR SPITE is perfectly reasonable

92. 93 | December 24, 2012 2:46 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

There was an article someone here posted a link to a couple of days ago about a Newspaper in Mordor on the Potomac doing the same thing, and the result was a very high percentage of those named getting burglarized and the only thing stolen, their guns and gun safes.

94 | December 24, 2012 2:47 pm

@ MacDuff:

It’s an abomination, to be sure, but not the first time this has been done IIRC.

It certainly disgusts me, but doesn’t surprise me in the least.

Due to my affiliation with AFP, I fully expect that if I’m not on a watch list already, I will be soon.

94. song_and_dance_man
    95 | December 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Well then, I retract my statements.

96 | December 24, 2012 2:49 pm

@ 19 Bumr50: Sounds like that would result in a lot of tribalism and throat slashing. Pagans only can project a moral superiority because there are none left in the world. Give them a few million people and a government see how quickly all their well thought out principals turn into crap.

96. 97 | December 24, 2012 2:49 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

MacDuff wrote:
    I think this is a significant escalation.
    When we’re not here, our weapons are secured. Try to break into the house and the cops will be here in minutes. Try to break in when we ARE here —
    Remember when somebody published Michelle Malkins address/phone, etc.?

Do you have an alarm system that uses a radio link with no phone wires that can be cut?

97. 98 | December 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

If you live in America and don’t absolutely worship Obama, you’re probably already on a watch list.

98. song_and_dance_man
    99 | December 24, 2012 2:51 pm

1389AD wrote:

Tomorrow we’re going out to eat with a friend and we’re getting Chinese food.

I love Chinese food and I don’t mean the fast food variety. I went to PF Changs not long ago and had a wonderful mango chicken dish.

99. 100 | December 24, 2012 2:52 pm

doriangrey wrote:

song_and_dance_man wrote:

We have a stalker problem (unrelated to firearms) and we live in an RV with no permanent address.

If it doesn’t have wheels on it, I don’t want to live in it – at least, not on US soil.

I do not trust any governmental body within the USA, nor do I trust the majority of Americans. Sorry, but trust has to be earned, and as far as I am concerned, it hasn’t been.

101 | December 24, 2012 2:52 pm

People astroturfing Congresspeople who support the NRA

hristine Lu ‏@christinelu
    Hello top congressman receiving @NRA $$$ @RepFincherTN08 @RepJimRenacci @EricCantor @Raul_Labrador @RepJimMatheson @RepGosar @SteveKingIA

101. 102 | December 24, 2012 2:52 pm

1389AD wrote:

eaglesoars wrote:
    MacDuff wrote:
    I think this is a significant escalation.
    Remember when somebody published Michelle Malkins address/phone, etc.?

Cutting the phone lines on nearly all home security systems automatically triggers an alarm. Not to mention immediately get’s the FBI involved since tampering with a phone line is a federal felony.

103 | December 24, 2012 2:53 pm

interesting, I did not know that

103. song_and_dance_man
    104 | December 24, 2012 2:54 pm

1389AD wrote:

Don’t think it would fly since the info is public, but I would try. I think if the perp acknowledged that he got the address from the paper it might work.

104. 105 | December 24, 2012 2:55 pm

@ MacDuff:
    Ah , the complexity of the Progressive mind.

Abortion is an absolute Constitutional right, even though no one can find it in the document & the Court did mental gymnastics to make it up.

On the other hand the Second Amendment should be trashed, because it came from a bunch of old, dead honkys.

The upshot is that we are living in a politically, economically, and morally dead country that has formally espoused the culture of death.

Okay, I’m a socon. You cannot found a society on debauchery. So sue me!

106 | December 24, 2012 2:56 pm

The Hobbit was a good movie. Saw Jack Reacher also but I always wonder if the Tom Cruise dialog is Scientology approved?

106. eaglesoars
    107 | December 24, 2012 2:57 pm

1389AD wrote:

I don’t intend to be rude, but I don’t discuss details like that. I’m sure you understand.

107. 108 | December 24, 2012 3:01 pm

I would like to see a newspaper publish a list of suspected
    gun owning gang bangers in Chicagos South & West Sides.
    And then leave their own address.

Eh, wouldn’t that be the phone book? ;)

108. song_and_dance_man
    109 | December 24, 2012 3:02 pm

darkwords wrote:

The Hobbit was a good movie.

I saw all of the Rings movies in the theater, but I think I’ll wait for the Blu Ray release for this. I hate crowds and only tolerate them for concerts and live shows. And I don’t shop at Wal Mart.

109. 110 | December 24, 2012 3:03 pm

heysoos wrote:

interesting, I did not know that

Yea, it has to do with the fact the telephone lines constitute interstate commerce.

111 | December 24, 2012 3:04 pm

@ darkwords:

Did you “movie hop”?

I’ve done it.

For non-matinee prices, I figure I DESERVE to see two.

111. 112 | December 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Okay, the snow has now reached well into the decorative range, and can stop anytime…

112. song_and_dance_man
    113 | December 24, 2012 3:07 pm

There are also hindering communication laws. I book people all the time that are charged with this. It’s usually associated with battery on a household member where the perp keeps the victim from using a phone. And those laws could apply to cutting a phone line.

114 | December 24, 2012 3:08 pm

@ darkwords:
    Reacher in the books is 6-5, 250 and solid muscle…he speaks very little until he has a very good reason to…has no drivers license, wanders the country by bus or hitching rides, not very good looking, buys ultra cheap clothes then throws it all out every three days, considers 4 on one fair odds in a fight…he’s very smart and equally dangerous…in other words Tom Cruise is all wrong for the role, but people seem to like the movie…I simply cannot accept a 5-7 midget as Reacher who’s size has something to do with every story

114. song_and_dance_man
    116 | December 24, 2012 3:10 pm

@ heysoos:
    I heard and read his actual height is 5-4 and wears height enhancing shoes.

117 | December 24, 2012 3:11 pm

@ 1389AD:
    What I can’t get past is that the American voter twice elected
    a guy who would not mandat medical attention for an infant born
    of a botched abortion.
    The infanticide candidate.

116. song_and_dance_man
    118 | December 24, 2012 3:13 pm

time to hit the tienda for beer and vittles

bbl

119 | December 24, 2012 3:13 pm

@ heysoos:
    I heard and read his actual height is 5-4 and wears height enhancing shoes.

maybe he’s actually 5-2 and wears spiked stilettos

118. 120 | December 24, 2012 3:17 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

1389AD wrote:

I certainly do.

MacDuff wrote:

I would like to see a newspaper publish a list of suspected
    gun owning gang bangers in Chicagos South & West Sides.
    And then leave their own address.
    Eh, wouldn’t that be the phone book?

Not these days. They don’t have land lines.

121 | December 24, 2012 3:18 pm

I seriously doubt that there will ever be a movie made from any
    Vince Flynn book.
    He accurately identifies the enemy in the War on Terror.

122 | December 24, 2012 3:20 pm

@ 1389AD:

If you want to “bundle” here, you have to have a land line.

I know this because the installer from Comcast MADE me run to the store to get a wall phone before he would complete installation.

I don’t even know my house phone no. without looking it up.

123 | December 24, 2012 3:20 pm

@ MacDuff:
    Phone book! Now there’s a thought.
    Merry Christmas, Mac.

124 | December 24, 2012 3:21 pm

I seriously doubt that there will ever be a movie made from any
    Vince Flynn book.
    He accurately identifies the enemy in the War on Terror.

I think Brad Thor is better than Flynn….Mitch Rapp is just a poor mans Jason Bourne

123. song_and_dance_man
    125 | December 24, 2012 3:22 pm

@ heysoos:
    I’m reading a Baldacci book this week.

126 | December 24, 2012 3:24 pm

@ heysoos:
    I’m reading a Baldacci book this week.

@ heysoos:
    I’m reading a Baldacci book this week.

try a Reacher book…a real different take on crime busting…very unique

128 | December 24, 2012 3:30 pm

another crime busting character that is super likable is Nelson DeMilles guy John Coreythe most witty, funny, clever dialog written…he’s my ultimate favorite…I actually burst out laughing when I read that stuff…very entertaining

126. eaglesoars
    129 | December 24, 2012 3:33 pm

I seriously doubt that there will ever be a movie made from any
    Vince Flynn book.

I was on his website the other day. There is a movie in the works – forget which book

130 | December 24, 2012 3:35 pm

@ heysoos:
    I can read Brad Thor & Vince Flynn.
    The Mitch Rapp character avoids moral confusion.

128. eaglesoars
    131 | December 24, 2012 3:37 pm

heysoos wrote:

I think Brad Thor is better than Flynn

I prefer Thor over Flynn but I love them both so – but the absolute BEST is Daniel Silva. Gabriel Allon. Israeli art restorer, occasional Mossad assasin.

132 | December 24, 2012 3:39 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    If they make a Vince Flynn movie, I’ll get butter on my popcorn.

130. Moe Katz
    133 | December 24, 2012 3:41 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Send Chesterfields to All Your Friends!

Classic! Did Reagan even smoke?

134 | December 24, 2012 3:41 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

heysoos wrote:
    I think Brad Thor is better than Flynn
    I prefer Thor over Flynn but I love them both so — but the absolute BEST is Daniel Silva. Gabriel Allon. Israeli art restorer, occasional Mossad assasin.

Robert Ludlum got me started on the spy gig…he’s the ultimate master of complexity and depth…really got deep into spycraft

135 | December 24, 2012 3:41 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

heysoos wrote:

I think Brad Thor is better than Flynn

i’ll have to pick up a Daniel Silva. Haven’t read him.

133. 136 | December 24, 2012 3:42 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

What about Charles Johnson?

I can see it now. He would be doling out Gov. Cheetos.

That and shitloads of Mountain Dew!

137 | December 24, 2012 3:43 pm

darkwords wrote:

1. John Doe insane -not allowed to buy or own a gun.

If the D’Rats think they can get away with it a national ID card will take the form of a ObamaCare insurance card and everyone will be required to carry one.

135. 138 | December 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

MacDuff wrote:

Send Chesterfields to All Your Friends!

Classic! Did Reagan even smoke?

He did, but he quit. I love the ol’ retro stuff, there’s a wealth of it out there.

139 | December 24, 2012 3:43 pm

eaglesoars wrote:
    heysoos wrote:
    I think Brad Thor is better than Flynn

i’ll have to pick up a Daniel Silva. Haven’t read him.

me neither but I will…I have a tendency to read every book by a certain author I can get my hands on…just have not gotten to him yet…

137. eaglesoars
    140 | December 24, 2012 3:44 pm

heysoos wrote:

Now see – I’ve never read him. Time to do a download or 2. Thanks!

141 | December 24, 2012 3:46 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

I seriously doubt that there will ever be a movie made from any
    Vince Flynn book.
    I was on his website the other day. There is a movie in the works — forget which book

American Assassin, the “prequel” about his training and early days.

Bruce Willis is supposed to be playing Stan Hurley. Chris Hemsworth is rumored to be playing Rapp.

142 | December 24, 2012 3:46 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

heysoos wrote:
    Now see — I’ve never read him. Time to do a download or 2. Thanks!

no kidding?…man, you are in for a treat…even the guy that continues Ludlums franchise is really good, Eric Van Lustbader…some fun stuff

143 | December 24, 2012 3:48 pm

@ heysoos:
    There is somebody on this board that went to school with.
    Vince Flynn. Can’t remember who.

144 | December 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Speaking of spys, I just saw the new Bond, “Skyfall”.
    Pretty good.

145 | December 24, 2012 3:52 pm

I read one Flynn/Rapp book, Kill Shot…it was second rate imo, especially compared to Reacher, Bourne or John Corey…I just got the feeling that Rapp was a composit and not all that interesting or fun….John Corey, for example is an absolute riot to hang out with

146 | December 24, 2012 3:53 pm

@ heysoos:
    I do like Vince Flynns political incorrectness.

147 | December 24, 2012 3:55 pm

@ heysoos:
    I do like Vince Flynns political incorrectness.

I don’t imagine they’ll be changing the villains into Russian neo-Nazis for the movie versions of any of his books…

148 | December 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Everybody have a great Christmas Eve.

146. 149 | December 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Everybody have a great Christmas Eve.

And to you, RIX.

147. eaglesoars
    150 | December 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Merry Christmas Rix!! Be well and stay safe.

151 | December 24, 2012 3:58 pm

I do like Vince Flynns political

incorrectness.

Thats what did in 24.

152 | December 24, 2012 3:59 pm

I never watched 24. I was thinking of the movie version of Sum of All Fears.

150. 153 | December 24, 2012 4:02 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Hey! We opened Christmas presents this afternoon. Very nice! Thanks so much!

151. eaglesoars
    154 | December 24, 2012 4:03 pm

I was thinking of the movie version of Sum of All Fears.

Yeah, I refused to watch the move because of that. Then I stopped reading Clancy because he made some snotty remark on Larry King about people making $25k/yr were basically failures.

Fuck him.

152. eaglesoars
    155 | December 24, 2012 4:05 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Hey! We opened Christmas presents this afternoon. Very nice! Thanks so much!

Yours should show up soon. It’s a cyclical thing.

We opened ours last nite. We’re hopeless. In 20 yrs we’ve NEVER made it to Christmas day. Not once.

153. eaglesoars
    156 | December 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Well, it’s time for me to do my ‘spa’ thing. Merry, merry Christmas everyone!

154. song_and_dance_man
    157 | December 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Is this thing on?

155. rain of lead
    158 | December 24, 2012 4:46 pm

Is this thing on?

he’s dim,jed

bad star trek joke

156. song_and_dance_man
    159 | December 24, 2012 4:52 pm

@ rain of lead:
    I keep getting a code that is also my area code. 505

157. Guggi
    160 | December 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Merry Christmas for all of you who celebrate Christmas !

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VcDms_tI40

(Do I have to note that the pictures are from Salzburg ? :-) )

158. song_and_dance_man
    161 | December 24, 2012 4:57 pm

I never watched 24. I was thinking of the movie version of Sum of All Fears.

The first 5 or so seasons were good. The movie Sum of All Fears sucked by going PC. My fav chapter of the book was 3 Shakes or something like that.

159. 162 | December 24, 2012 4:59 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

No login problems here, SADM.

160. song_and_dance_man
    163 | December 24, 2012 5:02 pm

@ Guggi:
    And to you and yours.

Yeah she’s a moonbat, but this Dion rendition is great.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm2t9-YNDSQ

161. song_and_dance_man
    164 | December 24, 2012 5:03 pm

@ Macker:
    It’s working again. I couldn’t log on for about 1/2 an hour.

165 | December 24, 2012 5:39 pm