Full Moon

by Bunk X ( 124 Comments › )
Filed under Astronomy, Humor, OOT, Science, Space Exploration, Technology at December 27th, 2012 - 10:00 pm

[via]
For some, it’s nothing but a big sandbox in the sky. As for the rest of us, it’s another cheesy excuse for The Overnight Open Thread.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

124 Responses to “Full Moon”

1 | December 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Mr Moonlight…

2 | December 27, 2012 10:12 pm

I’m 3/5 drunk singing Beatles oldies…
    maybe 4/5

3. Mars
    3 | December 27, 2012 10:15 pm

Personally I’m drinking a nice glass of cold brewed ice tea. (Twinings now makes cold brew, they sent me some samples and it’s the best I’ve ever had, tastes just like I brewed it traditionally.)

4 | December 27, 2012 10:24 pm

@ Mars:
    drunkenness is a virtue I pursue diligently

5. Calo
    5 | December 27, 2012 10:28 pm

@ heysoos:
    You are never up this late haysoos.

6 | December 27, 2012 10:33 pm

@ heysoos:
    You are never up this late haysoos.

I have to pick up my sis and brother in law at midnight MT time at the ABQ airport…my bedtime is around 9, so I’m all messed up

7. Calo
    7 | December 27, 2012 10:37 pm

@ heysoos:
    Heh, I usually never see you on this thread.
    So, the airport trip explains it.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ppmdvXsMBE

8 | December 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Yellow Moon
    Neville Bros with Herbie Hancock and John Hiatt

9 | December 27, 2012 10:40 pm

@ Calo:
    Mia’s sister Prudence Farrow….cool song

10. Calo
    10 | December 27, 2012 10:41 pm

@ heysoos:
    Put a “v” after the “http” and before the “:” to embed the video.

I’m quite lazy at this time of night and only want to click once.

11. CynicalConservative
    11 | December 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Try harder. :-)

/galt

12. 12 | December 27, 2012 10:45 pm

If anyone wants to pay respect.

RIP Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf (1934-2012)

13 | December 27, 2012 10:45 pm

@ heysoos:
    Put a “v” after the “http” and before the “:” to embed the video.
    I’m quite lazy at this time of night and only want to click once.

I used to know the code but have forgotten it…I’m small time

14. song_and_dance_man
    14 | December 27, 2012 10:47 pm

heysoos wrote:

I’m 3/5 drunk singing Beatles oldies…
    maybe 4/5

Whether 3/5 or 3/4 the Beatles are grand.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFU-GpF7n30

15. Calo
    15 | December 27, 2012 10:47 pm

@ heysoos:
    A v on blogmock and no v on DoD.

Do it a few times, and it’ll be easy to remember.

16. song_and_dance_man
    16 | December 27, 2012 10:48 pm

@ Calo:
    Calo calo calo. We have a new fan. yeah baby

17. Calo
    17 | December 27, 2012 10:53 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    I thought I was going to have to drag you up from the last thread.

I’ll just sit back, get cozy and let you and haysoos knock some videos out …
    Unless CC decides to post some confusion tonight.

18 | December 27, 2012 10:54 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    oh yeah, an old favorite…but I’m partial to the last Beatles records…Abby Road and the White album are monumental

19. Calo
    19 | December 27, 2012 10:56 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

I think you were just challenged SADM.

20 | December 27, 2012 10:56 pm

it would be really cool if someone posted the Medley, B side from Abby Road…the greatest 15min of Beatle music ever recorded

21. CynicalConservative
    21 | December 27, 2012 10:57 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    Unless CC decides to post some confusion tonight.

Don’t tempt me…

/galt

22. song_and_dance_man
    22 | December 27, 2012 10:58 pm

@ Calo:
    Oh come now. You know I’ve had something to do with your conversion to an agreeable aversion/adhesion to Beatles tunes. I mean, who in a cat world would not simply hate this?

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUhIEEwSSSo

23 | December 27, 2012 11:07 pm

early Beatles, a rollicking rocker with great vocals and a classic McCartney bass line…a favorite of mine…

24. eaglesoars
    24 | December 27, 2012 11:16 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Whether 3/5 or 3/4 the Beatles are grand.

I am amazed at the musical talent/ear on this board. I’m completely deaf to all of it.

I’m of the Dick Clark/American Bandstand school: can you dance to it?

BWAHAHAHA!!

25. song_and_dance_man
    25 | December 27, 2012 11:18 pm

@ heysoos:

Here is a Beatles song that is largely unknown by others than those who know. It was like the B side of Zeppelin’s Immigrant Song that no one knew about at the time.

Beatles B side. It’s silly and hardly worth a listen unless you are diehard.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DkaRUtp3w8

The Zeppelin B side of the Immigrant Song. very cool song

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmh1Z3Em-Ok

26 | December 27, 2012 11:23 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    the Zep thing is a favorite…Hey Hey What Can I Do?…a very traditional sound, almost mountain music…a rich, simple sound, needs more mando tho…not a hysterical Zep fan but they made some really killer music

27. song_and_dance_man
    27 | December 27, 2012 11:24 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

BWAHAHAHA!!

It has a great beat, and easy to dance to.

If only I could add some sort of inflection to the Bwaahaha that would make sense of what I’m thinking.

28. Calo
    28 | December 27, 2012 11:25 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I just listen and learn.

SADM made me listen to some Beatles tunes and I found myself enjoying them after years of scoffing at their music. For instance, who would have thought this was a Beatles tune and not a Disney movie tune?

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EoQVaQGXmM

Same with haysoos posting all those Stones tunes on DoD, they grew on me and I am a late in life Stones convert.

29 | December 27, 2012 11:26 pm

Led Zeppelin unplugged….
    Goin To California

30 | December 27, 2012 11:27 pm

@ Calo:
    bless you, sister

31. eaglesoars
    31 | December 27, 2012 11:28 pm

Calo wrote:

they grew on me and I am a late in life Stones convert.

CRIMENY WOMAN!!

How old are you??

32. Calo
    32 | December 27, 2012 11:32 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Old enough to have heart failure, woman!

Heh, 47.

33 | December 27, 2012 11:32 pm

I had the longest class today. Started at 9, and didn’t get rid of them until almost 8 pm. A couple and their daughter.

The daughter was an F-16 pilot in training.

34. Calo
    34 | December 27, 2012 11:34 pm

@ heysoos:
    Ah, I am a Led fan, no conversion needed.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ_JAgHxR14

35. eaglesoars
    35 | December 27, 2012 11:34 pm

Heh, 47.

Ah. You missed the revolution. Forgiven.

36 | December 27, 2012 11:35 pm

music is not about popularity or what’s playing on the radio…it’s about what’s in your heart, what moves you, whatever soothes or arouses the beast inside…it’s about the player and what they are trying to say

37. Moe Katz
    37 | December 27, 2012 11:36 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Old enough to have heart failure, woman!
    Heh, 47.

Are you running at all these days, Calo?

38. song_and_dance_man
    38 | December 27, 2012 11:37 pm

not a hysterical Zep fan but they made some really killer music

In order. Fav bands

Beatles
    Zep
    Deep Purple

never saw the Beatles even though I begged my two older sisters to allow me to go with them to Dodgers stadium. I was 10. No kids I guess, but I did get to see the mighty Zep 4 times when I got a bit older.

To me they were the ultimate jam band. If you wanted to hear the songs as played on the albums you were screwed. They jammed like a highfalutin garage band on steroids.

39. Calo
    39 | December 27, 2012 11:40 pm

@ Moe Katz:
    Not for the past three weeks – Christmas is a busy season at work for me. Give me a few more days until I flip things to the next season at work then I can get out early enough to try to run past a mile, otherwise, I’m stuck biking. :sad:

40. song_and_dance_man
    40 | December 27, 2012 11:42 pm

@ Calo:
    linky no worky

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHJH0ETi8D4

41. Moe Katz
    41 | December 27, 2012 11:43 pm

@ Calo:
    Stationary bike at home? I do that too. I count my snow shoveling/snow blowing as low-intensity cardio time as well.

42. song_and_dance_man
    42 | December 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Where is Four Sticks?

43 | December 27, 2012 11:45 pm

I have only two ‘favorite’ bands…both eclectic, daring, pushing the gig forward, creative and above all, great musicians…
    the Stones and Little Feat…if you have seen neither you simply have not lived the life…after those guys it gets really muddled, but the Stones and the Feat are proven, long term acts that deliver…a Feat show is a real mind buster, you just cannot believe what you are hearing live…Jagger was very impressed with the Feat when he saw them in England via that famed Warner Bros tour in the 70′s

44 | December 27, 2012 11:46 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

not a hysterical Zep fan but they made some really killer music
    In order. Fav bands
    Beatles
    Zep
    Deep Purple

the Stones invented the extended jam

45. eaglesoars
    45 | December 27, 2012 11:46 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

They jammed like a highfalutin garage band on steroids.

Yep. I caught one concert. I had tickets for the nosebleed section. But I’m tiny. So I literally got down to the main floor and crawled the last bit to the stage on my tummy.

Popped up like a cork right in front of Page. He was amused.

“What do you want sweetheart?”

“Whole Lotta Love”

Plant yelled from center stage “What does she want?”

“Whole Lotta Love”

And so they did. And Page stayed right in front of me, that cigarette dangling out of his mouth and played. To me.

One of the best moments of my life.

46. song_and_dance_man
    46 | December 27, 2012 11:46 pm

The daughter was an F-16 pilot in training.

Questions always slow things down.

47 | December 27, 2012 11:48 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    great story…shit happens eh?…I’ve talked myself backstage many’s the time

48. Calo
    48 | December 27, 2012 11:49 pm

@ Moe Katz:
    Nah, I go to a gym/Country Club type of thingy.

It is where I volunteer my sweat and free time most of the summer with a Summer Swim Team for kids – for 14 years now.

49. 49 | December 27, 2012 11:50 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Deep Purple

Deep Purple are evil… that is all… :razz:

50 | December 27, 2012 11:51 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

Questions always slow things down.

Yup

51. eaglesoars
    51 | December 27, 2012 11:54 pm

nite everyone. I shall sleep with visions of Jimmy Page wearing yellow pants.

52. Suki Wong
    52 | December 27, 2012 11:56 pm

So sad, first Dorian spins out about California bashing, now he bashes my favorite music.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIliB436370

53. song_and_dance_man
    53 | December 27, 2012 11:56 pm

I’m stuck biking.

Biking is for me a great exercise. Low impact on structural body parts but high in internal cardio straga straga stuff.

54. song_and_dance_man
    54 | December 27, 2012 11:58 pm

the Stones invented the extended jam

Not sure if they invented it, but they did take it one step further.

55 | December 27, 2012 11:59 pm

the Stones brought the delta blues to white America and supported the old artists, they had lyrics censored, they got into reggae, smooth ballads and love songs, horns, extended jams, they have supported young growing artists…the Stones have done it all and usually way before anybody else figured it out…just listen to Beggars Banquet, released in 1968, light years ahead of their time….the Stones lead, other great bands follow

56 | December 28, 2012 12:01 am

song_and_dance_man wrote:

the Stones invented the extended jam
    Not sure if they invented it, but they did take it one step further.

who did it before them?…nobody…as far back as 66 they were playing 15min versions of Under My Thumb…people were astounded

57. Mars
    57 | December 28, 2012 12:04 am

httpv://youtu.be/UIVe-rZBcm4

Looks like you got it. This didn’t pop up until 68.

58. Suki Wong
    58 | December 28, 2012 12:09 am

@ heysoos:
    15 minutes? That’s way too long to listen to Under My Thumb.

Give me the wham, bam, thank you m’am version any day.

59. song_and_dance_man
    59 | December 28, 2012 12:10 am

eaglesoars wrote:

Popped up like a cork right in front of Page. He was amused.

“What do you want sweetheart?”

“Whole Lotta Love”

Plant yelled from center stage “What does she want?”

“Whole Lotta Love”

One of the best moments of my life.

Isn’t that cool when you make a moment happen? No one would believe it, but you were there, in part of the action.

Summer 75, YES is at the Hollywood Bowl. this kid uses a trick to get down to the boxes. Buy two beverages and convincing a him gets past the ushers. I find a space between box seats and crouch and enjoy the concert. Chris Squire, the bassist, sees me and I see him laugh as he looks at me more than once. This is the kind of thing that can’t be shared by any other.

Unless, like you, it was shared.

60 | December 28, 2012 12:12 am

Suki Wong wrote:

@ heysoos:
    15 minutes? That’s way too long to listen to Under My Thumb.
    Give me the wham, bam, thank you m’am version any day.

if you heard Mick Taylor and Kieth Richards trading riffs for ten minutes, you might think different…but I get your drift

61. 61 | December 28, 2012 12:14 am

Suki Wong wrote:

Make you a deal, you get me back the $250,000.00 they cost me, and I’ll quit hating on them… M’k…

62 | December 28, 2012 12:14 am

Under My Thumb

63. Moe Katz
    63 | December 28, 2012 12:15 am

@ Moe Katz:
    Nah, I go to a gym/Country Club type of thingy.
    It is where I volunteer my sweat and free time most of the summer with a Summer Swim Team for kids — for 14 years now.

It must have been hard doing the swim team activity when you were having the cardiac problems….

I belong to a gym, but I do my stationary bike at home. Going to the gym, unpacking your gear, etc. is a huge time sink.

64. Calo
    64 | December 28, 2012 12:16 am

@ song_and_dance_man:
    The Hollywood Bowl had the best multi-cultural concerts for the little kids every summer. I hope they have continued the tradition forward.

65. 65 | December 28, 2012 12:20 am

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Where is Four Sticks?

Poor grammar. Should be “Where ARE Four Sticks.”
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepPoCPwP-w

66 | December 28, 2012 12:20 am

as for extended jams, I should not have said the Stones invented it…some of those old delta blues guys would play for an hour non stop, making up lyrics, changing keys etc without stopping…the Stones continued that tradition into modern times

67. Suki Wong
    67 | December 28, 2012 12:21 am

I think I’ll need Jack or Bob here to show you around the parking lot and give you a beer and some of my mom’s nachos.

It’s a bit worn, but paved with a yellow brick road – if you would have chose to follow it instead of following the flying monkeys around Oz.

68 | December 28, 2012 12:23 am

doriangrey wrote:

Suki Wong wrote:

how did you get ripped for $250k?

69. Calo
    69 | December 28, 2012 12:25 am

@ Moe Katz:
    Ah, see this is where I know you are a male IRL.

My real work hits when I get home at night.
    Some days I stay at work late to avoid real work at home.
    Work and the gym are a reprieve.

70. Calo
    70 | December 28, 2012 12:26 am

@ heysoos:
    Isn’t it time for you to go to the airport?

71. 71 | December 28, 2012 12:27 am

Suki Wong wrote:

It’s a bit worn, but paved with a yellow brick road — if you would have chose to follow it instead of following the flying monkeys around Oz.

well, nice to know that’s how you feel… Buh Bye…

72. Moe Katz
    72 | December 28, 2012 12:29 am

@ Calo:
    Touché.

73 | December 28, 2012 12:29 am

@ heysoos:
    Isn’t it time for you to go to the airport?

soon come…I’m still awake…I have about 90min…airport is 15min away…they call it the Sunport, a premier secondary airport, really nice place and easy in and easy out…don’t let me fall asleep!

74. 74 | December 28, 2012 12:30 am

doriangrey wrote:
    Suki Wong wrote:

how did you get ripped for $250k?

I toured with them, the little prick who played guitar for them didn’t like me showing him up so he leaned on my record company to fire me. Do not pass go, do not collect the rest of your contract.

75 | December 28, 2012 12:31 am

doriangrey wrote:

Suki Wong wrote:

well, nice to know that’s how you feel… Buh Bye…

how did you lose $250k on a band?….you need better lawyers

76 | December 28, 2012 12:32 am

doriangrey wrote:

doriangrey wrote:
    Suki Wong wrote:
    how did you get ripped for $250k?

what was the name of your band…maybe I recall them

77. Calo
    77 | December 28, 2012 12:32 am

Meh. I lost your video when my computer broke a month ago. :sad:

78. song_and_dance_man
    78 | December 28, 2012 12:32 am

@ Calo:

Some of the best shows I’ve ever seen were held there. John Williams conducting movie scores. The Overture to Wizard of Oz, the film showing while the orchestra played. Jaws, Raiders, 2001.

And Warner Bros. cartoons with an ensemble of sounds techs working along with another orchestra, with the gadgets to get every sound right while the vids played overhead.

And this is where I saw my first 3G concert with Satch, Vai and johnson. The first of very many.

79. Bob-Crotchit
    79 | December 28, 2012 12:35 am

@ Jack Asbeiter:

Could we just get back to Mel Torme cassettes like in the old days when we were doing Frisbee and Hackie sack comps?

80. Bob-Crotchit
    80 | December 28, 2012 12:40 am

Suki Wong wrote:

I got the reverted Taxi all warm. You lead them in and I’ll spring the cheese like Elton John tasting a Tuna Fish sandwich in surprise.

81. 81 | December 28, 2012 12:46 am

@ Suki Wong:
    @ Bob-Crotchit:
    Those were the days, eh, Bob? Damn Frisbee would get so sticky in the parking lot that anyone could catch it with a fart and a belch. I’ve been having HackySackyFlashyBackys too.

82. Suki Wong
    82 | December 28, 2012 12:46 am

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    Bob, I am going to hit you over the head with my broken curb feeler with comments like that.

I lost my tender virgin ear to Elton music, mind you and your kind comments.

83. 83 | December 28, 2012 12:49 am

@ heysoos:

how did you get ripped for $250k?

Pesos. 250 pesos can get you ripped. Oh, and one word of advice: never go to the Donkey Show.

84 | December 28, 2012 12:50 am

Dorian…
    so was the little prick Richie Blackmoore?….he undid your record contract and you got stiffed for 250 grand?…is that right?…quite a story

85. Moe Katz
    85 | December 28, 2012 12:51 am

This is what’s floating my musical boat at the moment.

86. Moe Katz
    86 | December 28, 2012 12:52 am

This is what’s floating my musical boat at the moment:
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLMmJq6Q_oY

87. Mars
    87 | December 28, 2012 12:53 am

I met the Beach Boys. At least the version from 98-99. They were all really great down to earth guys, except for the young guy who was with them on that trip. Arrogant, demanding little prick.

88. Mars
    88 | December 28, 2012 12:54 am

ZZ Top showed up the same night. Checked in, went to their rooms and then came down and stayed in the bar till closing.

89. 89 | December 28, 2012 12:55 am

@ Calo:
    Bob had it on 8-track in the Gremlin… before it got reposessed.

90 | December 28, 2012 12:56 am

Mars wrote:

there were no Beach Boys at that time, just Mike Love milking the name…sorry to disappoint you

91. Calo
    91 | December 28, 2012 12:57 am

@ heysoos:
    Isn’t it time for you to go to the airport?

HAYSOOS. pay attention!!!

Are you awake?
    You showed me The Stones. but Bagua gave me Hubert.
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3qt-qcSjxA

92. Mars
    92 | December 28, 2012 12:58 am

Mars wrote:

Still nice guys, except for the one little a-hole.

93 | December 28, 2012 12:59 am

@ heysoos:
    Isn’t it time for you to go to the airport?
    HAYSOOS. pay attention!!!
    Are you awake?
    You showed me The Stones. but Bagua gave me Hubert.

heh, and I gave Bags Hubert…where is he?, I love that boy

94 | December 28, 2012 1:00 am

and thanks for the Sumlin thing, he was an original

95. Calo
    95 | December 28, 2012 1:01 am

Jack Asbeiter wrote:

@ Calo:
    Bob had it on 8-track in the Gremlin… before it got reposessed.

I archived it in the garage with the lawn chairs.

96. Mars
    96 | December 28, 2012 1:01 am

Also had a famous soul singer the same week. Can’t remember who the hell she was anymore though. What a bitch. Voice like she was gargling rusty nails. Demanded a smoking room then smoked about 30 packs of unfiltered in it. Had an assistant just for her dogs. Treated the poor girl like a slave. Made ridiculous demands of everyone. Brought in dozens of huge suitcases and demanded people haul them. Then didn’t tip anyone a single cent. Also appeared to have stolen the towels.

97. Calo
    97 | December 28, 2012 1:02 am

@ heysoos:
    Isn’t it time for you to go to the airport?
    HAYSOOS. pay attention!!!
    Are you awake?
    You showed me The Stones. but Bagua gave me Hubert.

heh, and I gave Bags Hubert…where is he?, I love that boy

Actually. I don’t know.

I am a bit worried about him.

98 | December 28, 2012 1:02 am

Bagua!….
    check in to the office please

99. Calo
    99 | December 28, 2012 1:06 am

@ heysoos:
    I tried that a few weeks ago, no response.

Not that I expect one, but he is usually polite and does answer back.

100 | December 28, 2012 1:09 am

@ heysoos:
    I tried that a few weeks ago, no response.
    Not that I expect one, but he is usually polite and does answer back.

well hell, me and him have a history too…I should dig out his email and see for myself…I’ll make a note

101. Calo
    101 | December 28, 2012 1:13 am

@ heysoos:
    Yes, dig through your email please.

102. 102 | December 28, 2012 1:20 am

@ Calo:
    Good move on your part. Now how ’bout that jazzbo Slim Galliard?

103 | December 28, 2012 1:22 am

@ heysoos:
    Yes, dig through your email please.

I gotta go…I hope Bags is okay

104. Calo
    104 | December 28, 2012 1:28 am

@ Jack Asbeiter:
    He has two speeds and I have a headache?

105. 105 | December 28, 2012 1:29 am

Rockin’ out to Les Elgart right now. Reminds me of patios, sportshirts and short shorts with martinis and maitais served by the friendly native girls. Oh do I miss those days in Santa Ana.

106. 106 | December 28, 2012 1:37 am

@ Jack Asbeiter:
    He has two speeds and I have a headache?

33 and 78rpm, yes, and no you don’t. Have a Manhattan. It’ll make your clothes melt away.

107. 107 | December 28, 2012 1:41 am

@ Jack Asbeiter:
    I meant troubles. It’ll make your troubles melt away.

108. Calo
    108 | December 28, 2012 1:42 am

@ Jack Asbeiter:
    Ah, which reminds me of my gentle childhood days and the carefree times we had after our bath time watching the greats on TV before bed

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4327HSXY56k

109. 109 | December 28, 2012 3:53 am

Humpf. Best concert I ever went to was to hear the Denver symphony in 1986. In the realtively new (then) concert hall in the Denver Civic Center complex. I was in town for a one week Carbonate Sedimentology class taught be the late, great Gerald Friedman (look him up – remarkable man.) Nobody else from the class of maybe 25 people wanted to go, so I went myself. After a couple of shorter intro pieces I don’t recall, they did “The Planets” by Holst. The place had excellent acoustics and I had never seen four concert harps on stage at one time.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo

Even those who don’t know classical might easily recognize this part as the music playing during the launch of John Glenn’s Mercury mission in the film “The Right Stuff.”

110. 110 | December 28, 2012 3:56 am

@ Mike C.:

NOTE – If you have never seen the film “The Right Stuff”, WTF is wrong with you?

111. Guggi
    111 | December 28, 2012 4:14 am

Mike C. wrote:

If you have never seen the film “The Right Stuff”, WTF is wrong with you?

Don’t know, tell me :-)

112. Moe Katz
    112 | December 28, 2012 4:22 am

Guggi wrote:

Don’t know, tell me :-)

You have the wrong stuff.

113. Guggi
    113 | December 28, 2012 4:25 am

Moe Katz wrote:

You have the wrong stuff.

:-P

114 | December 28, 2012 4:35 am

@ Mike C.:

I have, but it’s been a WHILE.

I did watch ‘K-19: The Widowmaker’ again last week, though. A pretty good dramatization, even though it’s factually inaccurate in many places.

Here’s my favorite Zep tune:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXbLlxJO5Uc

I need to be up by 5:30 AM, but I absolutely hate it when I wake up between 4:00 and then.

I just can’t go back to sleep anymore.

That’s not insomnia is it?

I passed out around 11.

115 | December 28, 2012 5:05 am

Well, it looks like I have the floor.

Is anyone else not really that concerned about John Kerry being SecState?

Given the company Soetoro & Co. keep, it’s kind of a “devil you know” situation for me. As terrible as it sounds, it could be worse.

In fact, given his itinerary for the past year and a half or so, I’d say he already has the job for all intents and purposes.

Choose your battles, I say.

116 | December 28, 2012 5:09 am

@ Bumr50:

I still say conservative groups should make ad buys publicizing this looming longeshoremen strike highlighting what they’re making and what they want. Holding consumers and the “recovery”(heh) hostage.

It’s an easy layup against Big Labor, if we want to take it.

Of course, funds are probably pretty low since November…

117 | December 28, 2012 5:10 am

“It’s just no good anymore since you’ve went awayeee…”

118. 118 | December 28, 2012 5:16 am

Okay, let’s hear some practical expertise. I have a new leather holster, but it’s stiff as the proverbial board, and certain parts need to be softened up a bit. Neatsfoot oil? Saddle soap? It’s a shoulder holster, so getting it all greassy to stain clothes is not a good option. Advice gratefully accepted…

119 | December 28, 2012 5:51 am

@ Mike C.:

I’ve always used straight neatsfoot, but if I were you I’d check around baseball gloves at sporting goods stores, or even online.

120. Guggi
    120 | December 28, 2012 5:54 am

Guns pour in at L.A. buyback events

Thousands of people line up to exchange guns for supermarket gift cards at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena and the Van Nuys Masonic Temple.

The money quote is:

“That young guy shot up all the kids and they blamed the mama because the mama had the weapons in the house,” Valerie Butler said, in explaining why she was waiting in line two hours in South Los Angeles to get rid of an old handgun.

Yet Butler, 50, said she was not getting rid of both of her guns.

“Just one,” she said, and laughed. “There’s a bunch of nuts out here, and they’re coming in when you’re sleeping. You got to protect yourself.”

121. 121 | December 28, 2012 5:59 am

@ Bumr50:

I’m just afraid the neatsfoot will make it all oily and stain clothes, since it’s going to be both under and over clothing. What’s suitable for an application like a baseball glove may not be suitable for this application. Time and use will solve it eventually, but that’s not much comfort if you actually needed to draw the weapon quickly before that happened.

So far, the only jacket I have that REALLY conceals it is my old leather jacket. A sports coat isn’t quite enough on a person my size with that full-sized pistol. It’s that full-length grip that tends to protrude. Doesn’t look right to me.

122. eaglesoars
    122 | December 28, 2012 7:54 am

Mike C. wrote:

@ Bumr50:

Over time saddlesoap will also waterproof. neatsfoot oil is for flexibility. If you rub it in well, it will not stain.

For colder weather – and I think you and I are in the same geographical area – check out Cabela’s Drover Coat. You can conceal anything in that puppy. The photo doesn’t do it justice – it looks short but it’s not.

For warmer weather, see if you can find a photographer’s vest. Loads of pockets and no sleeves.

123. 123 | December 28, 2012 8:33 am

@ Guggi:

Yeah, the gun buyback programs are such scams. Do they really think gangbangers are going to tunr in their weapons for a few bucks? No, what they are doing is collecting broken guns and weapons that are sitting in people’s closets not hurting anybody. It is typical of Liberal “solutions” to problems: there is little substance, and it doesn’t address the problem, but it makes the Liberals feel better.

124. citizen_q
    124 | December 28, 2012 8:49 am

Guys in my local gun forum have joked about setting up a competing table right next to the buy-back on the lookout for the few nice firearms the idiots are throwing away, and outbid the buy-back loons.