Saturday Lecture Series: Solar Max has Passed?

by coldwarrior ( 112 Comments › )
Filed under Astronomy, Open thread, saturday lecture series at December 29th, 2012 - 8:30 am

From our friends at http://www.spaceweather.com

SOLAR CYCLE UPDATE: 2013 is only days away, and according to most forecasters, Solar Max should be approaching as well. But is it? Barely-increasing sunspot counts and anemic solar activity suggest an interesting possibility: Perhaps Solar Max has already passed. This plot of measured vs. predicted sunspot numbers illustrates the idea:

The blue curve traces monthly sunspot numbers measured since 2000. The red curve is the prediction of the NOAA-led Solar Cycle Prediction Panel. So far, Solar Cycle 24 is underperforming even compared to the panel’s low expectations.

There is still a strong chance that Cycle 24 will rebound and peak in 2013 as expected. It might even be a double-peaked cycle like the cycle before it. As 2013 nears only one thing is certain: we don’t know what will happen. Stay tuned. Solar flare alerts: text, voice.

Comments

112 Responses to “Saturday Lecture Series: Solar Max has Passed?”

1 | December 29, 2012 8:44 am

Are we going to be cold?

Non-meteorological minds want to know!

2 | December 29, 2012 9:01 am

Solar flare alerts: text, voice.

WOW.

I’m sure this is interesting to some, but we should all pray that I never need to use this service.

If I do, the plane has crashed into the mountain.

3. mawskrat
    3 | December 29, 2012 9:41 am

hoping for an early spring. I’m getting
    antsy to start gardening again

4 | December 29, 2012 9:49 am

@ mawskrat:

Mmmm peppers…

5 | December 29, 2012 9:55 am

Excellent piece, IMHO.

We Can’t Wait Until 2016

ht -- AT

6 | December 29, 2012 10:01 am

Summertime Clothes.

7 | December 29, 2012 10:02 am

Bumr50 in the hizzy, y’all!!!

8. 8 | December 29, 2012 10:21 am

I’ve been following this on WUWT. MIght just get a bit nippy here in a bit. Meanwhile, I’m staring out at the third snowfall since Dec. 24. And I live in the south.

9 | December 29, 2012 10:21 am

WVU vs. Syracuse, 3:15 ET, ESPN.

Should be a corker.

10 | December 29, 2012 10:26 am

Buzz Geithner : To Infinity and Beyond!

Heh.

ht -- AT & The People’s Cube

11. Guggi
    11 | December 29, 2012 10:32 am

Mike C. wrote:

Wish WE had some. Since about two weeks we have temperatures between 5°C and 20°C. It’s like in spring.

12. Guggi
    12 | December 29, 2012 10:33 am

@ Bumr50:

I don’t understand the joke :-(

13 | December 29, 2012 10:34 am

Where’s my copy of the Farmers Almanac…

14 | December 29, 2012 10:36 am

Mike C. wrote:

If only you’d've quit producing all that methane

15. 15 | December 29, 2012 10:39 am

@ waldensianspirit:

It’s the holidays -- methane production just naturally goes up. I did eat just some of TGoP’s potato soup for dinner last night, though, so that should have cut it back a bit.

16 | December 29, 2012 10:42 am

Mother Gaia takin’ on all you flatulationers

17 | December 29, 2012 10:46 am

French court rejects 75 percent millionaires’ tax — drudge

Damn! Almost heisted froggie loot.

Curious if the US Supreme Court will be more progressive than the French court

18. 18 | December 29, 2012 12:03 pm

Golly, time to crank up the gun thread again? No? How about insurrection? Seccession?

Maybe not…

19. 19 | December 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Only one thing to do, then…

20. 20 | December 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Tough crowd…

Or lack thereof…

21 | December 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Mike C. wrote:

Maybe not…

Why not??
    How about third parties or calling a constitutional convention. DC Town does needs a reset; at the very least a damn good kick in the ass… :twisted:

22. 22 | December 29, 2012 12:56 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Er, I was just joking…

But since you’re here, you hold the fort. I gotta make a run out.

23. 23 | December 29, 2012 12:57 pm

@ Mike C.:

Okay, I was NOT joking with the “Hell Yeah, I Like Beer!” one…

24 | December 29, 2012 1:02 pm

@ Guggi:

It’s based on a character named ‘Buzz Lightyear’ from Pixar’s ‘Toy Story’ animated movie franchise.

25. citizen_q
    25 | December 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Right up there with hiz-baa’al-ugh’s call for Jews to emigrate to Israel to save them the trouble of hunting down, the mo-bro-hoods in egypt want the egyptian Jews whom they chased out forcing them to leave with only the clothes on the their backs, want previously egyptian Jews to leave Israel and come back to egypt.

What could possibly go wrong?

Muslim Brotherhood to Egyptian Jews: Come back

Essam al-Erian, deputy head of the Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party, called on Egyptian Jews to leave Israel to the Palestinians and return to their own homeland.

“Their presence in Palestine contributes to the Zionist occupation of Arab lands, and every Egyptian has the right to live in his country — nobody can deny that,” Erian said during an interview on the privately operated Dream TV on Thursday. …

“Egyptian Jews should refuse to live under a brutal, bloody and racist occupation stained with war crimes against humanity,” Erian said.

Projection

26 | December 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Guy subbing for Levin brought out an interesting point about the news papers publishing gun owners.

He said many are retired police officers and any person they’ved pissed off can readily find them this way

27 | December 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Oh brother.

Just returned from running errands with a cup of Starbucks.

Handwritten on the cooling sleeve is ‘Come Together!’

My wife informs that it’s about the “fiscal cliff.”

Wonderful.

28. citizen_q
    28 | December 29, 2012 1:37 pm

@ Bumr50:
    Thought Starbucks was only doing that in their DC locations.

30 | December 29, 2012 1:39 pm

@ citizen_q:

Apparently not.

Groan.

30. citizen_q
    31 | December 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

Handwritten on the cooling sleeve is ‘Come Together!’

OTOH, if it were me and the barista pretty, I might have asked her if she was coming on to me.

Sigh, my sense of humour has gotten me into trouble more than once.

31. citizen_q
    32 | December 29, 2012 1:44 pm

@ Bumr50:
    typical liberal

If stupid does not work the first time. Try again with more.

33 | December 29, 2012 1:46 pm

@ citizen_q:

She wasn’t, I didn’t, and truth be told I didn’t even notice until my wife pointed it out.

Maybe it’s just an overzealous shift manager at that location…

34 | December 29, 2012 1:50 pm

@ waldensianspirit:
    What if some addled Occupy type decides to go vigilante
    on some of the gun owners?
    Can the Paper assert that it was not a foreseeable
    danger?

34. citizen_q
    35 | December 29, 2012 1:51 pm

@ Bumr50:
    Well, like I said, my sense of humour has gotten me into trouble more than once.

One time in the mid 90′s I was flying into Dallas and the very cute girl as the rental car counter, asked me if I wanted something “hot and sporty”, unfortunately she was talking about a car.

Any, off to shovel some snow, and back into my workshop to turn perfectly good wood into shavings and sawdust.

36 | December 29, 2012 1:53 pm

@ citizen_q:

Have fun!

37 | December 29, 2012 2:01 pm

@ waldensianspirit:
    What if some addled Occupy type decides to go vigilante
    on some of the gun owners?
    Can the Paper assert that it was not a foreseeable
    danger?

OWS is the least of the problems with this breach of privacy. How many of those listed gun owners are retired or current LEO’s or correction officers?? Now the bad guys know where to find them.

38 | December 29, 2012 2:06 pm

this paper could not be any more irresponsible.
    Now they say that they will publish more names.

39 | December 29, 2012 2:15 pm

You think anyone will, or even CAN be, prosecuted?

Welcome to Amerika, Comrade.

40 | December 29, 2012 2:16 pm

this paper could not be any more irresponsible.
    Now they say that they will publish more names.

Don’t underestimate them.

I’m pretty sure they could come up with something more irresponsible if they tried…

41 | December 29, 2012 2:18 pm

@ Bumr50:

You think anyone will, or even CAN be, prosecuted?

The information is a matter of public record, so it’s legal to publish it.

There does seem to be an issue with the way they got it, but I doubt that anything will come of that. It’s NY we’re talking about, after all.

42 | December 29, 2012 2:27 pm

They claim thatbthey are going to.

43 | December 29, 2012 2:29 pm

@ Bumr50:
    No, I doubt that there will be any prosecutions.

44 | December 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Class-action defamation as a result of the mass release so close to, and in conjunction with, the coverage of the Newtown shooting?

45 | December 29, 2012 2:38 pm

Then ask their owners and advertisers if they are ready for their names and addresses be published

45. 46 | December 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Aren’t they owned by Gannet?

46. Buffalobob
    47 | December 29, 2012 3:04 pm

algore purchasing solar flare futures. Or at least convincing others to buy into his scam.

48 | December 29, 2012 3:17 pm

@ Buffalobob:
    I wonder if I could sell him a Jeremiah Machine

49 | December 29, 2012 3:22 pm

@ Bumr50:
    I am guesing thatbtheirbdefense would be that they didn’t
    defame anybody & it was all pulic record.
    Then the First Amendment.
    Unless of course it’s exercised by someone they don’t like.

49. 50 | December 29, 2012 3:22 pm

I just checked, and LuckyGunner.com now has NO .223 Remington/5.56 NATO ammo. Zip, zero, zilch, nada, bupkiss.

50. Prebanned
    51 | December 29, 2012 3:26 pm

@ Mike C.:
    At this point, it is difficult to get primers, powder and bullets for .223

52 | December 29, 2012 3:30 pm

gotta love those silly Yemenies..Yemen is on the verge of am extremely serious water shortage, or worse, literally drying up…
    look at these numbers….90% of water is used for agriculture, which is only 6% of their GDP….40% of that is used to grow kat which requires at least three time the amt of water as most food crops..and the govt has done virtually nothing to address the problem…welcome to the dark ages…let AQ have them

53 | December 29, 2012 3:31 pm

Has Piers Morgan self depoted himself back to England yet?
    It must be so unplesant for him to live amonst us colonial
    primatives.

53. Prebanned
    54 | December 29, 2012 3:32 pm

@ heysoos:
    most muslim countrys are enviromental disasters.

54. 55 | December 29, 2012 3:36 pm

@ Prebanned:

It’s gotten completely insane out there. Glad I stocked up on necessities earlier. A Gander Mountain store in MS announced they were getting 64 ARs in last night and they would be available today. The line started forming at 1 AM in 40 degree rain, and by 4 AM the 64 ARs were gone and 27,000 rounds of ammo with them. Where in hell they got that much ammo, I have no idea.

55. CynicalConservative
    56 | December 29, 2012 3:39 pm

@ Mike C.:
    Was it this nuts back in 94? I was only in my mid 20′s and really not paying much attention to such things. (Yeah, yeah, I’m a pup, etc. etc.)

/galt

56. Prebanned
    57 | December 29, 2012 3:42 pm

@ Mike C.:
    A local gun shop sold 500000 primers.
    I bought several years worth of supplies, which is not that much because I usually shoot a lot of .22LR

57. Lily
    58 | December 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

@ waldensianspirit:
    What if some addled Occupy type decides to go vigilante
    on some of the gun owners?
    Can the Paper assert that it was not a foreseeable
    danger?

Yeah you do bring up a good point there with LEO’s. Of course only a fool of a criminal would actually go after a LEO to be honest.

59 | December 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Has Piers Morgan self depoted himself back to England yet?
    It must be so unplesant for him to live amonst us colonial
    primatives.

England doesn’t want the SOB back… :twisted:

59. Lily
    60 | December 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Has Piers Morgan self depoted himself back to England yet?
    It must be so unplesant for him to live amonst us colonial
    primatives.

I’ll help buy him a one-way ticket back. But I don’t even think the Brits want this one back. I’m sure he is suffering terribly here. Poor thing/NOT.
    /we have enough idiots of our own we don’t need others coming from other countries…there are just somethings we don’t need more of.

60. Prebanned
    61 | December 29, 2012 3:53 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:
    He looks like a hemorrohoid, nobody wants hemorrohoids.

62 | December 29, 2012 3:54 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:
    Can’t we force England to take him back?
    Inficting Piers Morgan on us is a human rights abuse,

62. Lily
    63 | December 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

Has Piers Morgan self depoted himself back to England yet?
    It must be so unplesant for him to live amonst us colonial
    primatives.
    England doesn’t want the SOB back…

Yeah I saw that…they don’t want him back…can’t blame them. We don’t want him either. Maybe a Middle Eastern country might want him..who knows.

64 | December 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Lily wrote:

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

@ waldensianspirit:
    What if some addled Occupy type decides to go vigilante
    on some of the gun owners?
    Can the Paper assert that it was not a foreseeable
    danger?

Unfortunately too many criminals are fools or they wouldn’t be criminals in the first place. :evil:

64. Lily
    65 | December 29, 2012 3:56 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:
    Can’t we force England to take him back?
    Inficting Piers Morgan on us is a human rights abuse,

I agree. 8-)

65. 66 | December 29, 2012 3:56 pm

@ CynicalConservative:

Oh, in the run-up to the AWB ban? No, actually, it wasn’t. The weapons that were banned were not very common back then. Not even remotely as common as they are now.

66. Lily
    67 | December 29, 2012 3:57 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Oh dear did I set myself up for that one didn’t I? ;)
    Yes they are fools.

68 | December 29, 2012 3:58 pm

@ Lily:
    He got caught up in some phone hacking thing in England.
    But I think that the real problem is that he violates an anti-annoyance
    ordinance.
    How are you today?

69 | December 29, 2012 3:58 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:
    Can’t we force England to take him back?
    Inficting Piers Morgan on us is a human rights abuse,

Maybe we could send him to Brussels; let the EU deal with him. :twisted:

69. 70 | December 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Hey Lily! How are you doing?

70. Lily
    71 | December 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Doing pretty good considering. I am going to have some wicked looking scars. Each day I get a wee bit stronger so that is a good thing. Still on bed rest though or couch rest. LOL.
    /and you Rix? Hope everything is good with you.

72 | December 29, 2012 4:03 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:69
    Brussels! That’s the ticket, the EU will know what to do with him.

72. Lily
    73 | December 29, 2012 4:04 pm

@ mfhorn:

Pretty good considering. Still kicking!!! Thanks for asking! ;)

74 | December 29, 2012 4:05 pm

I declare a fartwa on Piers Morgan

75 | December 29, 2012 4:05 pm

@ Lily:
    Glad to hear that you’re healing Lilly.
    I”m fine. My daughter is home for the Holidays, but back
    to school tomorrow. It’s been great having her home.

76 | December 29, 2012 4:07 pm

heysoos wrote:

I declare a fartwa on Piers Morgan

Right on!

76. 77 | December 29, 2012 4:07 pm

@ Lily:

I can relate to the scars. I’m still debating having a zipper tattooed over mine! Today’s my 1 year anniversary! I still get a little pressure once in a while when I cough. That little heart pillow will be your best friend for a while. :)

Do your walking, use your spirometer & take care of yourself!

77. Lily
    78 | December 29, 2012 4:08 pm

I bet it has been nice having the daughter home! Makes the Holiday’s all the more better.
    /You will never believe it …but I got a Chuck Norris get well card. LOL! Funny!

79 | December 29, 2012 4:09 pm

@ Lily:
    good news indeed…I hope you’re the type that enjoys being waited on…declare the sofa your throne and rule from there

79. 80 | December 29, 2012 4:11 pm

@ Lily:

What- Chuck Norris does his own heart surgery?

80. Lily
    81 | December 29, 2012 4:15 pm

@ mfhorn:

Still have pressure? My heart pillow is hard. A zipper over the scar? LOL! My hubby said now I need to get some tat’s since I have all these scars.
    So far they don’t have me doing any re-hab yet…but I do go up and down the stairs. I still can’t lift anything. I make sure I take a lot of deep breaths. I can live with the pain in the legs …but the pain in the chest worries me. But it’s just from the surgery. Nothing weird about it.
    /glad to hear you are doing well though.

82 | December 29, 2012 4:16 pm

@ Lily:
    It is great having her home.
    You got a Chuck Norris get well acrd? Sweet!

83 | December 29, 2012 4:16 pm

CARD

84 | December 29, 2012 4:17 pm

Taking the girls to a movie.
    See ya.

85 | December 29, 2012 4:17 pm

mfhorn wrote:

@ Lily:
    What- Chuck Norris does his own heart surgery?

anesthetics have no effect on Chuck Norris

85. 86 | December 29, 2012 4:17 pm

New Thread.

87 | December 29, 2012 4:17 pm

heysoos wrote:

I declare a fartwa on Piers Morgan

And I shall fart in his general direction… :mrgreen:

87. 88 | December 29, 2012 4:18 pm

@ Lily:

Yeah, just once in a while, and only with a few really good coughs.

Do they have you on that invective spirometer- the little deal you breathe into? You’ll be on weight restrictions for a while. It was probably 6 months before they’d let me pick up anything more than 25 pounds. I think 10 was the first limit.

Yeah the chest pain, and if your back’s sore too, is from the surgery. It’s going to take some time for that to go away.

My next meeting with my cardiologist is in Feb, so I’m up to about 4 months between appointments.

89 | December 29, 2012 4:19 pm

I saw the Hobbit in 3D yesterday…meh, I was not so impressed, but it’s a very good film in terms of effects but the dialog was almost pathetic, even for younger folks

89. Lily
    90 | December 29, 2012 4:20 pm

heysoos wrote:

@ Lily:

Well I have been rather cranky about that. LOL! I think I am over the cranky now. (Thank goodness for my mom and husband!) Everything was so sudden ..that it wasn’t till I got home that everything hit me.
    If I would have had a heart attack it would have killed me…even a minor one. I had a lot of luck and God with me is all I can say.

90. Lily
    91 | December 29, 2012 4:24 pm

mfhorn wrote:

@ Lily:
    What- Chuck Norris does his own heart surgery?

LOL!

(Card from Calo)

92 | December 29, 2012 4:26 pm

L :lol: L

92. Lily
    93 | December 29, 2012 4:29 pm

@ mfhorn:

I can’t lift anything over 5 lbs. Doc said I was so tiny they really had to open me wide. So hence I’m hurting more in chest area. Every 4 months? I have doc appointments all over the place in January! Fun, fun, fun! ;)

93. 94 | December 29, 2012 4:34 pm

Newt’s strategy for Congress

From Human Events 12/10/12

95 | December 29, 2012 4:34 pm

Didn’t Piers Morgan have something to do with a news scandal where images were faked of British soldiers allegedly torturing Iraqi prisoners?

95. 96 | December 29, 2012 4:37 pm

@ Lily:

Yeah, it’ll start off with 5 pounds, then up to 10 I think, then 20.

My surgeon wasn’t real happy I’d driven 120 miles the day I was admitted, after having chest pains all week. He said I could have had a ‘major event’ at any time, and the people at the clinic told Mrs MF to ‘Drive to the hospital as fast as you can. What hospital will you go to- we’ll call them to let them know you’re coming’. When I walked in the door at the ER, they pointed me to the gurney and were hooking me up to everything in sight before the insurance card even cleared her wallet.

96. 97 | December 29, 2012 4:40 pm

The Osprey wrote:

98 | December 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

heysoos wrote:
    I declare a fartwa on Piers Morgan

And I shall fart in his general direction…

Precision definitely isn’t necessary in his case

99 | December 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Rather Accuracy

100 | December 29, 2012 4:51 pm

@ waldensianspirit:
    Piers Morgan is just another species that’s attention dependent….when ignored they simply vanish…get it?

101 | December 29, 2012 4:55 pm

@ heysoos:
    the problem is that too many people depend on Morgan to tell them how to think…perfect symbiosis

102 | December 29, 2012 4:57 pm

heysoos wrote:

@ heysoos:

so Piers tells them what they want to hear, the ratings soar, boner pills get sold, and Piers is laughing all the way down Park Avenue…pretty cool

102. Lily
    103 | December 29, 2012 5:01 pm

@ mfhorn:

Wow! I had a test done and they found my arteries blocked. So the hospital took me hostage then and there. It happened rather quick but I had a couple of days before the surgery. There were a couple of people who were far worse off than me and since I was under observation they kept me a couple of days before the surgery. One of the people before me died after surgery. I was in ICU when it happened. I had a couple of spells in November that led me to the cardio doctor. No heart attack…but it had something to do with the heart. Plus when I recover from the heart by-pass the doctor is going to look at my legs. My legs have blocked arteries too. Genetic and with me smoking didn’t help which lead to me have this surgery at such a young age. I don’t wish it on anyone.

104 | December 29, 2012 5:05 pm

Lily wrote:

@ mfhorn:

it happened to me…PAD…resulting in my lower right leg getting chopped off…followed by severe infections, a redaction, and a four year nightmare of pain and infinite frustration

105 | December 29, 2012 5:06 pm

Mike C. wrote:

The Osprey wrote:

That’s probably why they don’t want us to send him back across the pond. I knew he was involved in something smarmier than just the celebrity phone hacking thing.

106 | December 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Morgan is part of the AmIdol cult…we invented him

107 | December 29, 2012 5:09 pm

free market politics…find a trend and hammer it for all it’s worth…we are all donks

107. Lily
    108 | December 29, 2012 5:15 pm

@ heysoos:

Sorry to hear that hey. As far as my legs not sure what they plain on doing. First things first is what they said..get my heart stable.

109 | December 29, 2012 6:09 pm

@ Lily:
    shit happens…we have to forge ahead

109. 110 | December 29, 2012 6:13 pm

@ Lily:

That’s the weird thing with me. My parents are in better health than I am, my cholesterol was about 150, and I’ve never smoked. My wife’s now convinced that I’m in my mid-60′s, instead of my mid-40′s!

Originally they thought that with my age, a stent or two would do the trick. Then they ran the heart cath, and found 2 arteries blocked 90%, and 1 that was ‘almost completely’ blocked (90% isn’t ‘almost completely?). They did those plus 2 others that were about 40% blocked. If I’d been a smoker, this would have hit 10 years earlier.

Best of luck with your recovery! Will you have to make changes to things like your diet? That is SO tough to do.

111 | December 29, 2012 6:22 pm

@ 29 Bumr50: In this one area I don’t mind if people start physically intimidating journalists in the US. As group they are abusing their power. Maybe this is just the first battle in the larger war for the soul of the country.

112 | December 29, 2012 6:25 pm

@ 26 waldensianspirit:
    Another person makes the point that now if any of these people are robbed, the robber is probably there for the guns. will need to apply appropriate force.