HAPPY NEW YEAR

by Bunk X ( 100 Comments › )
Filed under OOT at January 1st, 2013 - 12:13 am

I wasn’t notified that a New Year’s Eve thread was missing in the queue, so bear with us as we update LIVE ON THE OVERNIGHT OPEN THREAD!

Update 1: We are updating in Real Time. This is what it takes to put up a thread.

Update 2: Curly, Moe, Larry, Shemp… name the others. I dare you.

Update 3: [deleted]

Update 4: Here’s a nice Winter Holiday Song by Jonathan and Darlene Edwards.

Update 5: Apparently some folks don’t like the sublime artistry of J&D Edwards, so (by Calo’s request) here is Redman and Methodman from September 2012.

Update 6: Happy New Year to the one who sent me this pic and dared me to post it. We wish you a full recovery.

Update 7: We’ve got snacks on the Rec Room counter,  so help yourselves.

Update 8: POTATO BUG!

Update 9:  Osprey’s boot drop.

FINAL UPDATE for the 31 December 2012 OVERNIGHT OPEN THREAD

Most all of we must realize that none of us would be here without the help of one man. A big man. A blogging man. A man who knows what it’s like to cut and paste with his bare hands. A man who stabs his friends in the back without remorse, and brags about it. A fabricator of lies who unashamedly gloats about his failures. A bra-snapping twitter warrior of a man who Andrew Breitbart kindly referred to as “fuckface.”

As another year comes to a close, let’s give a big wad of righteous kudos to Rodan, Savage, Coldwarrior and M for keeping the Blogmocracy Torch burning. They deserve it.

Happy New Year to All!

Tags: ,

Comments

100 Responses to “HAPPY NEW YEAR”

1. CynicalConservative
    1 | January 1, 2013 12:22 am

Ok Calo, I’m here. Now what.

/galt

2. eaglesoars
    2 | January 1, 2013 12:23 am

reposted from downstairs

Top Scientific Discoveries of 2012

Wired has discovery of Higgs Boson as #1 but I missed that it had been confirmed.

But I COMPLETELY missed this one and my head just exploded.

Quantum Teleportation Distance Record Broken
    Over the summer, two teams of researchers, one from China and the other from Austria, broke a world record by teleporting quantum particles more than 50 miles through the open air. This little trick involves entangling two particles, like photons, so that they both have the exact same properties. Using a third particle, the characteristics of one of these photons are beamed to a distant location, creating a remote copy.

Scientists now think they will one day be able teleport particles to a satellite in space and then beam them back to any location on Earth. Such technology could allow spies to pass unbreakable codes back and forth and might one day form the backbone of a quantum internet. China plans to test this possibility with a dedicated quantum information satellite, to be launched in 2016, while other countries are racing to make sure they don’t fall too far behind on this important technology.

Ok, then…no more conference calls

3. Calo
    3 | January 1, 2013 12:24 am

@ CynicalConservative:
    3 -- peat?
    It’s been a long time.

Meh whatever, scroll away and Happy New Year to you and your Lady.

4. 4 | January 1, 2013 12:26 am

Gonna update the OOT periodically for the next few hours. Keep refreshing.

5. rain of lead
    5 | January 1, 2013 12:27 am

heh
    the girl doesn’t give two rips about the new year
    she’s playing minecraft and fleeing creepers

6. rain of lead
    6 | January 1, 2013 12:29 am

momcat has her glass of bubbly so she’s good

7. Calo
    7 | January 1, 2013 12:30 am

@ eaglesoars:
    What was the game we used to play when you said something to someone else and at the end, it came out all garbled from the original message?

Heh, screwing with particles in cyberspace seems like the same game.

8. CynicalConservative
    8 | January 1, 2013 12:32 am

@ Calo:
    I got nothing tonight, but I’ll work on one for tomorrow. Way to angry and hostile right now to try. (don’t ask)

/galt

9. Calo
    9 | January 1, 2013 12:34 am

@ CynicalConservative:
    You are wearing yoga pants tonight, aren’t you?

10. rain of lead
    10 | January 1, 2013 12:34 am

@ Calo:

the game was telephone

11. CynicalConservative
    11 | January 1, 2013 12:37 am

@ Calo:
    Do you want me to bite my tongue off? I only have so much self control…

/gthalth (ouch)

12. AZfederalist
    12 | January 1, 2013 12:38 am

Happy New Year to all! We are still 1 1/2 hours away here

13. rain of lead
    13 | January 1, 2013 12:38 am

red eye on fox is on fire

14. eaglesoars
    14 | January 1, 2013 12:38 am

Calo wrote:

@ eaglesoars:

Heh, screwing with particles in cyberspace seems like the same game.

Telephone

15. Calo
    15 | January 1, 2013 12:40 am

@ CynicalConservative:
    Hubby is now feeding me a margarita now in celebration of the New Year.

Cheers, my friend.

16. 16 | January 1, 2013 12:40 am

Update 3 posted.

17 | January 1, 2013 12:41 am

Update 2: Curly, Moe, Larry, Shemp… name the others.

Pelosi, Reid, Obama, and Boehner?

18. rain of lead
    18 | January 1, 2013 12:41 am

@ Calo:
    he just wants to get you drunk so he can do naughty things to you later

19. eaglesoars
    19 | January 1, 2013 12:43 am

eaglesoars wrote:

just want to be sure people caught that.

I know there are many people who think Obama’s evisceration of NASA and the privitization of space exploration/technology is a good thing.

I’m not one of them. They don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

20. CynicalConservative
    20 | January 1, 2013 12:43 am

@ Calo:
    Good on ya, Vodka Tonic here.

/hic.

21. Calo
    21 | January 1, 2013 12:43 am

@ Bunk X:
    GOOD GOD! I am suppose to know those people?

I can’t even recognize Redman and Methodman.

22. eaglesoars
    22 | January 1, 2013 12:44 am

Pelosi, Reid, Obama, and Boehner?

Smokin’ Joe Biden

23. Calo
    23 | January 1, 2013 12:47 am

@ rain of lead:
    You are projecting tonight.

24. 24 | January 1, 2013 12:47 am

Update 4 posted.

25. rain of lead
    25 | January 1, 2013 12:48 am

@ Calo:

bwahahahahahahah
    maybe

26. 26 | January 1, 2013 12:52 am

Calo wrote:

@ Bunk X:
    GOOD GOD! I am suppose to know those people?
    I can’t even recognize Redman and Methodman.

Or anybody else for that matter… :razz:

27. Calo
    27 | January 1, 2013 12:52 am

Has anybody looked back at the thread that Bunk keeps updating?

Someone, please, please post a better utube than this one.

28. eaglesoars
    28 | January 1, 2013 12:52 am

Bunk X wrote:

Update 4 posted.

Bunk, you are the WIERDEST person I’ve never met.

Am I the only person here who actually watched Tiny Tim and Miss Vicki get married on Johnny Carson?

29. rain of lead
    29 | January 1, 2013 12:52 am

hey dg
    happy new year
    sorta

30. 30 | January 1, 2013 12:53 am

rain of lead wrote:

hey dg
    happy new year
    sorta

You to my friend… :grin:

31. Calo
    31 | January 1, 2013 12:55 am

Aaahhh Dorian, nice to see you back.

Happy New Year to you, your mom and to all your extended family.

32. eaglesoars
    32 | January 1, 2013 12:57 am

Happy New Year Dorian!

And to Mom, too.

33. Calo
    33 | January 1, 2013 12:59 am

@ eaglesoars:
    Notice the possum in that video starting at 1:20.

ROTFLMAO

Bunk posts some strange stuff.

34 | January 1, 2013 1:01 am

Happy New Year to all!

35. eaglesoars
    35 | January 1, 2013 1:04 am

Calo wrote:

Notice the possum in that video starting at 1:20.

I DID notice it. Why? Because it seemed to be during the day. Those critters are nocturnal. If you see one during the day, there just might be a problem -- like rabies -- altho this one just seemed to be tired -- BIG yawn

36. 36 | January 1, 2013 1:05 am

Update 5 posted.

37. rain of lead
    37 | January 1, 2013 1:07 am

nite ya’ll
    this old guy gotta work later

may 2013 be well to you all

38. Calo
    38 | January 1, 2013 1:09 am

@ Speranza:
    Happy New Year Speranza, and thank you for all your posts over the last year.

I must admit, I feel like a low-informed American some days since I am short on time and what is the hot topic of the day, but then I get to read what you (and others) post on Blogmoc, and feel edumacated.

Thank you again.

39. 39 | January 1, 2013 1:09 am

@ eaglesoars:
    Smokin’ Joe Besser is in the Stooges lineup.
    @ Calo:
    Bite me. You called me away from watching contortionist yoga videos and tweeting love notes to Barbara Boxer. You ordered it, you pay for it.
    New update coming up in a few.

40. rain of lead
    40 | January 1, 2013 1:10 am

ok gotta go to bed
    read #5 as redman and methadone man

41. eaglesoars
    41 | January 1, 2013 1:14 am

Well, as much as I enjoy these holidays and am sincerely grateful for them -- I’m glad this season is effectively over.

I’m particularly grateful 2012 is over. The worst year politically for our country in my lifetime, bar none (and yeah, I did lose friends in ‘Nam).

I pray for better times in 2013 and I am hopeful. A lot of that comes from the people here who give me courage to keep up the fight and have absolute clarity for why it can be no other way.

So, thank you everyone. Of the many blessings I count in my life, you guys are far from the least.

Thank you.

Happy New Year and may God bless us, each and every one.

nite.

42. Calo
    42 | January 1, 2013 1:15 am

@ rain of lead:
    Whah! Who are redman and methadman?

43 | January 1, 2013 1:17 am

Calo wrote:

@ Speranza:
    Happy New Year Speranza, and thank you for all your posts over the last year.
    Thank you again.

That makes me feel that it was all worth while. :)

44. rain of lead
    44 | January 1, 2013 1:19 am

i don’t know who methodman is
    but i’m pretty sure he dosen’t want to be called methadoneman

45. rain of lead
    45 | January 1, 2013 1:20 am

Calo wrote:

@ rain of lead:
    Whah! Who are redman and methadman?

rain of lead wrote:

i don’t know who methodman is
    but i’m pretty sure he dosen’t want to be called methadoneman

update # 5

46. 46 | January 1, 2013 1:23 am

Update 6 is up.

47. 47 | January 1, 2013 1:24 am

@ rain of lead:
    His nic IS “Methman.”

48. rain of lead
    48 | January 1, 2013 1:25 am

Bunk X wrote:

Update 6 is up.

gaaaaah
    take it down,take it down, for the love of god, take it down

49. Calo
    49 | January 1, 2013 1:25 am

OMG! I’m out, LMAO.

I deleted my pic, and rightfully so.

50. poteen
    50 | January 1, 2013 1:25 am

@ Bunk X:
    Curly Joe is the last one I remember. The last 2 ……ya got me.

51. poteen
    51 | January 1, 2013 1:28 am

Bunk X wrote:

Update 6 is up.

Don’t look like any Stooge to me.

52. AZfederalist
    52 | January 1, 2013 1:29 am

poteen wrote:

Bunk X wrote:

Update 6 is up.

Don’t look like any Stooge to me.

Stooges, boobs, same diff.

53. Calo
    53 | January 1, 2013 1:30 am

@ Bunk X:
    OK

BRC_807 BRC_807 ‏@Gus_807

.@dolphincatcher Redman, Methodman and a minimum wage employee taking a bunch of shit.

Retweet
    Favorite

8:05 PM -- 29 Dec 12 ·

54. 54 | January 1, 2013 1:32 am

@ rain of lead:
    I axed her to prove she could take off her bra while driving. That was the result.
    @ poteen:
    Joe Besser was pretty good, but Curly Joe was just annoying.

55. Calo
    55 | January 1, 2013 1:35 am

@ poteen:
    Update #6 is Lily, and a good sport posing for Bunk.

Keep her in your prayers as she recovers from bypass surgery.
    She is a trooper, just trodding along in life, and giving most of you kudos whenever she posts here.

56. 56 | January 1, 2013 1:48 am

Update 7 is up.

57. 57 | January 1, 2013 1:50 am

@ poteen:
    Shemp was underrated.

58 | January 1, 2013 2:00 am

Happy New Year Blogmocers…the boot just dropped here in AZ.

59. 59 | January 1, 2013 2:06 am

Update 8 is up.

60. 60 | January 1, 2013 2:07 am

@ The Osprey:
    Wait for the second boot to drop. Happy New Year to you!

61 | January 1, 2013 2:18 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ The Osprey:
    Wait for the second boot to drop. Happy New Year to you!

There is only one boot that drops. In Prescott. It’s a big neon cowboy boot that is on top of Whiskey Row.

Just sent you a pic of it from last New Years.

62 | January 1, 2013 2:28 am

The Senate just passed the fiscal cliff deal, 89-8.

63. 63 | January 1, 2013 2:33 am

@ The Osprey:
    I don’t check email, but Update 9 is up. ;)

64. 64 | January 1, 2013 3:07 am

Final Update posted. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

65. AZfederalist
    65 | January 1, 2013 3:29 am

@ Bunk X:

Yes, Thanks to all who keep this blog gong.

66. AZfederalist
    66 | January 1, 2013 3:30 am

Dang it! Should be Thanks to all who keep this blog going.

67. 67 | January 1, 2013 3:40 am

Well, 2013 is here. Has all the earmarks of “interesting times” from the old Chinese curse. But since the alternative is to take a dirt nap, might as well try to muddle through. Not optimistic about it, though.

68. 68 | January 1, 2013 3:43 am

@ AZfederalist:
    No, you were right the first time. It’s a blog gong.

69. Moe Katz
    69 | January 1, 2013 3:45 am

Bunk X wrote:

@ AZfederalist:
    No, you were right the first time. It’s a blog gong.

A doggone blog gong.

70. 70 | January 1, 2013 3:51 am

71. 71 | January 1, 2013 3:56 am

@ Moe Katz:
    Blog gong gong gongongongong yeah

72. Moe Katz
    72 | January 1, 2013 5:03 am

WOP BOP-ALOOMA BA-LOP BAM BOOM

73. Moe Katz
    73 | January 1, 2013 5:13 am

Sarah Palin’s new endorsement:

74. 74 | January 1, 2013 5:54 am

I suppose this means I have to disassemble the Christmas tree today… Not one of my favorite jobs.

75. 75 | January 1, 2013 6:34 am

Mike C. wrote:

Technically, “The Twelve Days of Christmas” doesn’t end until The Feast of the Epiphany on Jan 6 but my policy is “the sooner the better”. Yeah, it’s a lot more fun going up than coming down…….

76. 76 | January 1, 2013 6:37 am

@ MacDuff:

I gotta fly out on the 5th, so that’s right out. Besides, after undecorating it, I have to haul it to the county collection point, so there’s that to be allowed for as well. I can’t leave all that crap for the wife.

77. 77 | January 1, 2013 6:42 am

$41 in tax hikes for every $1 in spending cuts and they’re calling it “progress”. I call it getting screwed without even being kissed.

78. 78 | January 1, 2013 7:21 am

@ MacDuff:

Well, assuming it gets through the House, it puts off the end of the “Bush tax cuts” for 2 months for those making < $ 450 K/year, stops the sequestration cuts (mostly to the military), and halts the death tax increase. Now whether that actually does any good in the long run is yet to be seen. A two-month delay in the expiration of the "Bush tax cuts" will cover all the scheduled income I now have on line for 2013, at least, so there is that.

79. 79 | January 1, 2013 7:22 am

@ Mike C.:

It’s pretty much just kicking the can down the road, but not very far.

80. storagemanger
    80 | January 1, 2013 7:37 am

‘Israel will be wiped out within a decade’

‘There will be no such thing as Israel,’ Muslim Brotherhood official says after creating uproar by calling on Jews to return to Egypt ‘to make room for Palestinians’

81. 81 | January 1, 2013 7:39 am

The Biden-McConnell deal was approved by an 89-8 vote early Tuesday. Five Senate Republicans voted against the measure: Rand Paul (Ky.), Marco Rubio (Fla.), Mike Lee (Utah), Richard Shelby (Ala.), and Chuck Grassley (Iowa).

82. 82 | January 1, 2013 7:44 am

Mike C. wrote:

@ MacDuff:

“It could have been worse” is becoming our motto and it doesn’t look like that’s going to change for some time.

83. storagemanger
    83 | January 1, 2013 7:49 am

Happy New Year?

By Thomas Sowell

84. 84 | January 1, 2013 7:56 am

@ MacDuff:

Two years, minimum.

85. storagemanger
    85 | January 1, 2013 7:59 am

A New Year’s Eve fireworks display in the Ivory Coast turned from celebration to tragedy early today when more than 60 children died in a stampede, according to state media reports. FULL STORY http://www.cnn.com/

86. storagemanger
    86 | January 1, 2013 8:09 am

Never got this mad at renters

He has been charged with murdering 19-year-old Derrick Thompson, and his girlfriend, Alivia Welch, 18.

Mr Thompson’s mother, Susan Johnson, survived Saturday’s shootings by playing dead after she was shot.

The 44-year-old, who shared the Biddeford flat with the two victims and her six-year-old son, said she had hidden behind a Christmas tree.

Mr Pak allegedly told police he spared the boy’s life but thought he had killed the three adults, AP reported.

Police had been called to the home after Mr Thompson reported Mr Pak was threatening him and banging on windows, but they left when the teenager told them he did not fear his landlord.

Moments later, they received a call from Ms Johnson telling them of the shootings.

They had reportedly been arguing over late rent, shovelling snow and parking cars in the drive, police said.

87. 87 | January 1, 2013 8:11 am

eaglesoars wrote:

Calo wrote:
    Notice the possum in that video starting at 1:20.
    I DID notice it. Why? Because it seemed to be during the day. Those critters are nocturnal. If you see one during the day, there just might be a problem — like rabies — altho this one just seemed to be tired — BIG yawn

They show up in the daytime too sometimes. If you leave pet food outdoors (generally a bad idea) it attracts them.

Sometimes they simulate being diseased, such as by drooling (a form of “playing possum”) so that predators will avoid contact with them.

88. storagemanger
    88 | January 1, 2013 8:14 am

@ 1389AD:
    razor sharp teeth…avoid them.

89. 89 | January 1, 2013 8:16 am

storagemanger wrote:

@ 1389AD:
    razor sharp teeth…avoid them.

Yup. LOTS of razor sharp teeth.

They don’t move very fast -- but they bite hard enough to make up for that.

90. storagemanger
    90 | January 1, 2013 8:25 am

The US House of Representatives has approved a bill seeking permission to grant guided missile frigates to a number of countries, including Turkey — a close ally of the United States.

The bill was submitted to the House of Representatives on Monday and passed. It authorizes President Barack Obama to grant the provision of guided missile frigates to Turkey along with Thailand and Mexico.

The bill sparked fury and elicited a harsh reaction from the Washington-based Hellenic-American Leadership Council (HALC), which worked to prevent the provision of naval vessels to Turkey, which is at odds with Greek Cyprus and Greece on a number of maritime issues in both the Aegean Sea and the east Mediterranean.

Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla., chairwoman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, introduced the bill to the House on Dec. 11.

The motion requires Senate approval to come into effect. As part of the final step, if President Obama acts under the motion, Turkey will receive the USS Halyburton (FFG-40) and the USS Thach (FFG-43) ships

91. 91 | January 1, 2013 8:27 am

Good Hangover Morning to all and a wish for a Happy New Year.

I just hope to see New Years day 2014 without the shooting having started. On the other hand if the shooting is going to start, let it be now while my Grandchildren are still too young!

92. storagemanger
    92 | January 1, 2013 8:34 am

AZOlddog wrote:

Good Hangover Morning to all and a wish for a Happy New Year.

Good news Obama is taking guns away…no shooting!..lol

93. 93 | January 1, 2013 8:35 am

@ AZOlddog:

Let’s hope we can get out of this mess without general shooting. I’m just not that good a shot.

94. 94 | January 1, 2013 8:35 am

AZOlddog wrote:

Good Hangover Morning to all and a wish for a Happy New Year.

I don’t have a hangover, unless you count my share of the national debt.

They don’t make any cures for that one.

95. storagemanger
    95 | January 1, 2013 8:36 am

we got a ton of snow…glad I got 4 wheel drive.

96. mawskrat
    96 | January 1, 2013 8:37 am

man did I sleep well…fell asleep in 2012
    and woke up in 2013/

so Happy New Year All….make it a great
    year one day at a time.

97. 97 | January 1, 2013 8:50 am

Can I get The Mighty Geo (now 17 years old) up to 42 K total miles by Friday evening, or will that have to wait until February? The excitement is building…

98 | January 1, 2013 9:06 am

New thread.

99 | January 1, 2013 9:15 am

Interesting to see the reactions to the launch of ‘Breitbart Sports.’

I for one welcome it, but it will be a challenge.

Even if I weren’t a sports fan, I believe I’d still think it a worthwhile endeavor. Sports media is no exception to Progressivism.

If we’re going to win American minds, we must go where they are.

The strong reactions against this are a bit confusing and alarming to me.

100 | January 1, 2013 9:21 am

Bumr50 wrote:

Sports media is no exception to Progressivism.

Ain’t it the truth!