NCAA D1 National Championship Open 2013

by coldwarrior ( 156 Comments › )
Filed under College Football, Open thread at January 7th, 2013 - 7:30 pm

It’s #1 ND versus #2 Alabama far all the marbles.

I like that ND defense. But he money has ‘Bama wining by 10. I bet against that line alright, but i don’t think ND wins.

Even though I would prefer that they won this game.

NotableGolden Domer Facts.

The Fighting Irish have 13 national championships recognized by the NCAA, first out of all FBS schools in the post-1900 era and third all-time behind Princeton and Yale.[2] A record seven Notre Dame players have won the Heisman trophy (Ohio State won 7 trophies with 6 players). Additionally, Notre Dame has produced an NCAA record 96 consensus All-Americans,[3] and 32 unanimous All-Americans, more than any other university.[3]

Distinctions

• As of the end of the 2012 regular season, Notre Dame has the second highest winning percentage in NCAA Division I-A (FBS) history (.734), behind Michigan (.735) (minimum 100+ years playing football).[10][35][36][37]
  • As of the end of the 2012 regular season, Notre Dame is third in wins among Division I-A/FBS programs (865), trailing Michigan (903) and Texas (866).[37]
  • As of the end of the 2012 regular season, Notre Dame has the fewest losses of any NCAA Division I program (300) that has been playing football for 100+ years.[38]
  • As of 2012, Notre Dame has 105 winning seasons in 124 years of football, and only 13 losing seasons.[35]
  • The football program has the most individual Heisman Trophy winners at seven (Ohio State has seven Heisman Trophies that were won by six players).
  • As of 2012, Notre Dame has produced more 1st Team All-Americans (188), consensus All-Americans (81 players on 97 selections) and unanimous All-Americans (33) in football than any other college program.[3][39]
  • Notre Dame is represented by 48 players and coaches in the College Football Hall of Fame, the most of any university.[40][41]
  • Ten former players are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, second only to USC (11). Notre Dame has produced the second largest number of players drafted into the National Football League of any program in the country. As of the 2011 NFL draft, 469 players have been drafted, second only to USC’s 472.[42]
  • Helped by its status as a highly regarded academic institution (ranked 19th by U.S. News & World Report),[43] Notre Dame is second only to Nebraska in Academic All-Americans (43).
  • Since 1962, Notre Dame has graduated 98.74% of its football players in four years. As of 2006, only 13 football players in this time have left Notre Dame without finishing their degree requirements. Also of note is the 90% graduation rate of ND’s African American players (only Navy and Boston College have higher African American graduation rates).[44]
  • Notre Dame holds the NCAA record for Most consecutive wins over one opponent, beating the US Naval Academy (USNA) 43 times in a row before falling to them in 2007.[45]
  • The football program is also known for ending the Oklahoma Sooners’ NCAA record winning streak of 47 games in 1957. Coincidentally, Oklahoma’s 28–21 loss to Notre Dame to open the 1953 season was the last loss before the beginning of the streak.[46]
  • Notre Dame has had 12 undefeated seasons and 10 others with at most one loss or tie.[47] The 2012 season will either become their 13th unbeaten season or 11th with at most one loss or tie, depending on the outcome of the 2013 BCS National Championship Game.
  • Notre Dame is 3–3–1 in games where the national title winners from the previous two years have met in a regular season game. There have only been 13 of these games played in college football history. Notre Dame has played in 7 of the 13 games:
    • 1945 – Army def. Notre Dame 48–0
    • 1947 – Notre Dame def. Army 27–7
    • 1968 – Notre Dame tie USC 21–21
    • 1974 – USC def. Notre Dame 55–24
    • 1978 – Notre Dame def. Pitt 26–17
    • 1989 – Miami def. Notre Dame 27–10
    • 1990 – Notre Dame def. Miami 29–20
  • The Bowl Championship Series’ “Notre Dame rule”[48] gives the university unique privileges in the postseason among independents. If Notre Dame finishes in the top eight of BCS teams, it is automatically selected.[49] The university receives $4.5 million for playing in a BCS game and $1.3 million when it does not.[50] In essence, Notre Dame is treated like a conference team in either case. The university’s athletic director acts as an equal to the commissioners of the 11 Football Bowl Subdivision conferences when they discuss BCS issues.[51]
  • Notre Dame is one of only three out of the current 124 Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) teams to have never played a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) team since the divisions were created in 1978. The other two are UCLA and USC.[52]
  • Notre Dame is one of only two Catholic universities that field a team in the Football Bowl Subdivision, the other being Boston College.

Notable Crimson Tide Facts:

The Alabama Crimson Tide football team represents the University of Alabama (variously Alabama, UA, or ‘Bama) in the sport of American football. The Crimson Tide competes in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) of the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) and the Western Division of the Southeastern Conference (SEC).[5] The Crimson Tide is among the most storied and decorated programs in NCAA history. Since beginning play in 1892, the program has accepted 14 of the national championships awarded to the team,[2][6][7] including 9 wire-service (AP or Coaches) national titles in the poll-era, the most of any current FBS program. From 1958 to 1982, the team was led by Hall of Fame coach Paul “Bear” Bryant, who won six national championships with the program.[6] Despite numerous national and conference championships, it was not until 2009 that an Alabama player received a Heisman Trophy, when running back Mark Ingram became the university’s first winner.[8]

As of the completion of the 2011 season, Alabama has 814 official victories[a][b] in NCAA Division I (an additional 21 victories were vacated and 8 victories and 1 tie were forfeited), has won 27 conference championships (4 Southern Conference and 23 SEC championships) and has made an NCAA-record 59 postseason bowl appearances. Other NCAA records include 23 10-game+ win streaks, and 18 seasons with a 10–0 start. The program has 31 10–win seasons (32, one vacated),[9][10] and has 33 (34, one vacated)[b] bowl victories, both NCAA records.[11] Alabama has completed 12 undefeated seasons, 10 of which were perfect seasons. The Crimson Tide leads the SEC West Division with eight division titles and eight appearances in the SEC Championship Game. Alabama holds a winning record against every current and former SEC school, except for SEC newcomer Missouri (2-2). The Associated Press (AP) ranks Alabama 4th in all-time final AP Poll appearances, with 49 through the 2011 season.[12][13]

Enjoy the game and the open thread.

Comments

156 Responses to “NCAA D1 National Championship Open 2013”

1 | January 7, 2013 7:32 pm

ND hasnt won a national championship since they built seats in front of touchdown jesus…now he cant see the whole field…

coincidence?

2 | January 7, 2013 7:33 pm

I gotta cool front row seat!….take me with you Touchdown Jesus!

3. eaglesoars
    3 | January 7, 2013 7:37 pm

Open thread right? Ok, I got this from freepers. I listened to the call (it’s about 5 minutes long). A North Carolina police Lt. phoned in to say he is watching the Feds team up w/ LEOs for training to take down the American people -- drones will be part of it. it was very disturbing.

N.C. Police Lieutenant warns of Martial Law in Early 2013

4 | January 7, 2013 7:38 pm

@ eaglesoars:

droidheads!

5 | January 7, 2013 7:42 pm

Jesus just left South Bend, and he’s headed for Miam-meee
    Jesus just left South Bend, and he’s headed for Miam-meee
    workin from one end to the other, tailgating and drinkin for free…oh yeah
    ZZ Top

6 | January 7, 2013 7:43 pm

I gotta go with ‘Bama. The Aggies already beat them which should insure that the Ags start at #1 in the next poll. Where am I wrong on this?

Don’t answer that. :twisted:

7 | January 7, 2013 7:44 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Don’t answer that.

ND whipped all comers, big and small…they deserve the title

8. eaglesoars
    8 | January 7, 2013 7:46 pm

droidheads!

what the hell are they? I heard him say it and I didn’t get the reference.

9. EBL
    10 | January 7, 2013 7:47 pm

Any predictions?

11 | January 7, 2013 7:47 pm

ND whipped all comers, big and small…they deserve the title

Um… only if they win. :wink:

12 | January 7, 2013 7:48 pm

EBL wrote:

Any predictions?

Very nice!

13 | January 7, 2013 7:48 pm

@ eaglesoars:I think drones are just a normal weapon. Can be misued by anyone. Emergency responders in local government all have two way hooks into the state and feds whereever they are at.

One would need to distinguish between normal Emergency plans and wacky ones. A wacky one should be leaked.

the politicians here do have a jones for doing a handgun grab of some type. they talk about it all the time. It is only the 2nd Amendment that makes their thoughts unconstitutional that stop thems.

13. EBL
    14 | January 7, 2013 7:50 pm

Rule 5 Irish!

15 | January 7, 2013 7:50 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Don’t answer that.

aggies got a great qb for the next 3 years. he may not have much success at the next level as he really isnt big enough.

15. EBL

ND whipped all comers, big and small…they deserve the title
    Um… only if they win.

it’s already settled, mark my words….ND is going to win

19 | January 7, 2013 7:53 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

droidheads!
    what the hell are they? I heard him say it and I didn’t get the reference.

androids…program them and they do, without thinking.

20 | January 7, 2013 7:53 pm

huckfunn wrote:
    Don’t answer that.

huckfunn wrote:
    ND whipped all comers, big and small…they deserve the title
    Um… only if they win.

it’s already settled, mark my words….ND is going to win

Doug Flutie could not play in the NFL either, remember?

20. 21 | January 7, 2013 7:55 pm

“They gotta name for the winners in the world..
    …I want a name when I lose…..
    …they call Alabama the Crimson Tide….”

SO ROLL ALREADY, YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

22 | January 7, 2013 7:56 pm

Manziel turned 20 a month ago yesterday. I’m thinking there’s another inch or 2 in height and another 15 or 20 lbs. in his near future. The question is, can he get bigger and maintain his speed and agility?

22. 23 | January 7, 2013 7:57 pm

Man the Southern SEC lovin’ side of me is REALLY beating up my inner Catholic.

24 | January 7, 2013 7:57 pm

it’s already settled, mark my words….ND is going to win

I’m betting breakfast at Smokey’s (in Capitan) this summer. You in?

25 | January 7, 2013 7:58 pm

heysoos wrote:

Doug Flutie could not play in the NFL either, remember?

that nfl was probably 3 inches shorter than this one. the linemen are much taller than they were 20 years ago

26 | January 7, 2013 7:59 pm

huckfunn wrote:

linebackers in the NFL will run him down…agility is more important, and yet pocket awareness and reading defenses are even way more important

26. 27 | January 7, 2013 7:59 pm

The size of the linesmen these days, CW, I’m sure could simulate a total eclipse if they stood just right.

28 | January 7, 2013 7:59 pm

heysoos wrote:
    Doug Flutie could not play in the NFL either, remember?

that midget in NOLA seems do do okay

29 | January 7, 2013 8:00 pm

SHORT POWER!

30 | January 7, 2013 8:00 pm

Carolina Girl wrote:

Man the Southern SEC lovin’ side of me is REALLY beating up my inner Catholic.

a tortured soul!

31 | January 7, 2013 8:01 pm

@ heysoos:

yep 3 step 5 step 7 step pass!

31. Calo
    32 | January 7, 2013 8:02 pm

I’m with haysoos and CW and am booing Huck and CG’s pick.

My, my, my … may God not strike me dead tonight. :lol:

Hope it’s a good, clean game.

33 | January 7, 2013 8:04 pm

@ heysoos:
    yep 3 step 5 step 7 step pass!

I think it’s more important to understand your passing lanes and exactly where your receivers are…and if you do that real good and are 6/4, then you are John Elway (who could throw on the run and across his body like no one ever else)

34 | January 7, 2013 8:06 pm

heysoos wrote:

That’s it. The kid’s got animal instincts in getting away from the predators. He’s a rabbit.

35 | January 7, 2013 8:06 pm

I think I’ll celebrate ND’s victory early…a little pre-emptive nip….just for theatrics mind you

36 | January 7, 2013 8:07 pm

Carolina Girl wrote:

“They gotta name for the winners in the world..
    …I want a name when I lose…..
    …they call Alabama the Crimson Tide….”
    SO ROLL ALREADY, YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

a little steely dan. good call.

37 | January 7, 2013 8:08 pm

the nfl chews up runnin qb’s

38 | January 7, 2013 8:09 pm

Calo wrote:

I’m with haysoos and CW and am booing Huck and CG’s pick.

My, my, my … may God not strike me dead tonight.

Hope it’s a good, clean game.

Watch out. :twisted:

39 | January 7, 2013 8:10 pm

lee corso cracks me up

40 | January 7, 2013 8:11 pm

the nfl chews up runnin qb’s

the nfl chews up runnin qb’s

yup…run to move the chains, forget any other crap…get a running back…fakery is short lived in the NFL

41 | January 7, 2013 8:12 pm

a little steely dan.

Isn’t that an oxymoron?

42 | January 7, 2013 8:13 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

a little steely dan.
    Isn’t that an oxymoron?

well…yes.

43 | January 7, 2013 8:19 pm

ND was first in the country for points allowed at 10.3….the Vegas line is Alabama +9.5….me thinks somebody is gonna take a bath

44 | January 7, 2013 8:23 pm

i do believe ND covers

45 | January 7, 2013 8:23 pm

football is universal….
    run the ball
    stop the run
    control the clock and field position
    don’t turn over the ball
    convert turnovers to points

46 | January 7, 2013 8:24 pm

i do believe ND covers

my gut agrees with that….wealth redistribution

47 | January 7, 2013 8:30 pm

here we go…football!
    what’s not to like?

48 | January 7, 2013 8:33 pm

dont lose yer minds ND

49 | January 7, 2013 8:36 pm

They made that look easy.

49. 50 | January 7, 2013 8:37 pm

Indeed!

51 | January 7, 2013 8:39 pm

well that was ugly…ND’s got the jitters

52 | January 7, 2013 8:47 pm

ROBBED.

By a smirking little jerk.

53 | January 7, 2013 8:51 pm

well that was ugly…ND’s got the jitters

might be a long night for the irish

53. Tanker
    54 | January 7, 2013 8:55 pm

Time to change the channel already. Ugly for the Irish is an understatement!

55 | January 7, 2013 8:56 pm

Brutal stats. Total yards: 123-8. Time of possession: 7:48 -- 1

56 | January 7, 2013 8:57 pm

ND vaunted defense missed the flight I think

57 | January 7, 2013 8:57 pm

@ Tanker:
    @ huckfunn:

well, ND td on this drive and a hold em…

nd looks terrible

58 | January 7, 2013 8:59 pm

I think his knee was down.

58. 59 | January 7, 2013 9:01 pm

Now I see why the spread was 9 1/2.

59. Tanker
    60 | January 7, 2013 9:02 pm

Will overturn it!

60. Tanker
    61 | January 7, 2013 9:03 pm

God doesn’t seem to be on the Catholic side tonight!

62 | January 7, 2013 9:08 pm

Tanker wrote:

God doesn’t seem to be on the Catholic side tonight!

The Irish are clearly rattled.

62. Tanker
    63 | January 7, 2013 9:12 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Tanker wrote:
    God doesn’t seem to be on the Catholic side tonight!

The Irish are clearly rattled.

They seem to have been really over rated from what I’m seeing. I must admit I’ve not seen them all year though!

Maybe the “Bear” is whispering in the ear of God tonight!

64 | January 7, 2013 9:14 pm

Tanker wrote:

Maybe the “Bear” is whispering in the ear of God tonight!

And he was a Presbyterian. :wink:

65 | January 7, 2013 9:15 pm

I don’t think ND has enough big plays in the tank…wow
    this is why I NEVER bet on college football

65. Bob-Crotchit
    66 | January 7, 2013 9:19 pm

funny. there is a guy on the Irish team call Clinton Dicks.

66. song_and_dance_man
    67 | January 7, 2013 9:21 pm

The Tide are flowing.

67. Bob-Crotchit
    68 | January 7, 2013 9:22 pm

That is Clinton Dix. Still..

69 | January 7, 2013 9:23 pm

those two AL receivers are kick butt…that Norwood kid is a beast…they have great hands and are very good after the catch

70 | January 7, 2013 9:30 pm

Clinton Dix puts the wood to him.

70. 71 | January 7, 2013 9:32 pm

@ Tanker:

They seem to have been really over rated from what I’m seeing.

That’s what it appears. The SEC is just too strong.

72 | January 7, 2013 9:33 pm

ND defense is gonna be fried, burned out

72. Bob-Crotchit
    73 | January 7, 2013 9:34 pm

Tanker wrote:

God doesn’t seem to be on the Catholic side tonight!

the game COULD end with a Hail Mary

74 | January 7, 2013 9:40 pm

Bob-Crotchit wrote:

Tanker wrote:
    God doesn’t seem to be on the Catholic side tonight!
    the game COULD end with a Hail Mary

remember the Hail Flutie?…
    not for the championship tho

74. Bob-Crotchit
    75 | January 7, 2013 9:40 pm

That’s it. I’m calling the Vatican.

75. Suki Wong
    76 | January 7, 2013 9:42 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    Bob, get off your knees and quit praying for a ‘bama slam on the pavement tonight.

The night is young, the Catholics are praying to the Patron Saint Luigi Scrosoppi.

BEWARE! :mrgreen:

76. brookly red
    77 | January 7, 2013 9:45 pm

wow hate to disturb the football but a poster on the Washington Examiner just blew me away…

U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000
    * Fed budget: $3,820,000,000,000
    * New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000
    * National debt: $14,271,000,000,000
    * Recent budget cuts: $ 38,500,000,000

Let’s now remove 8 zeros and pretend it’s a household budget:

* Annual family income: $21,700
    * Money the family spent: $38,200
    * New debt on the credit card: $16,500
    * Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
    * Total budget cuts: $385

kinda scary…

77. Bob-Crotchit
    78 | January 7, 2013 9:45 pm

If only Clinton Dix were from Arkansas it would be a perfect pun storm.

78. Suki Wong
    79 | January 7, 2013 9:47 pm

@ brookly red:
    You are late to the party Pizza Man.

Someone posted that last week.

And, it is scary.

79. brookly red
    80 | January 7, 2013 9:48 pm

Suki Wong wrote:

@ brookly red:
    You are late to the party Pizza Man.

Someone posted that last week.

And, it is scary.

I may be late but I did bring beer…

80. Suki Wong
    81 | January 7, 2013 9:49 pm

@ brookly red:
    And the shrimp tacos?
    If so, you are forgiven.

NO GUAC!

81. brookly red
    82 | January 7, 2013 9:51 pm

Suki Wong wrote:

@ brookly red:
    And the shrimp tacos?
    If so, you are forgiven.

NO GUAC!

hmmmm. no guac… where have I heard that before?

82. Bob-Crotchit
    83 | January 7, 2013 9:52 pm

Suki Wong wrote:

I had dinner with him last night. He was glum.

83. Tanker

* Annual family income: $21,700
    * Money the family spent: $38,200
    * New debt on the credit card: $16,500
    * Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
    * Total budget cuts: $385
    kinda scary…

Damn, why you wanting to ruin our fun with important shit!

Oh, watching the Catholics take a righteous whooping isn’t really all that fun!

Now if you could only get that analogy broadcasted nation wide we might get somewhere. Oh, never mind even simply math is beyond our educational system! Where’s my gameboy!

85 | January 7, 2013 9:54 pm

Just WOW!

86 | January 7, 2013 9:56 pm

ND is done at halftime…baked

86. Bob-Crotchit
    87 | January 7, 2013 9:56 pm

Hunchbacks across the sports-world are disappointed.

87. brookly red
    88 | January 7, 2013 9:56 pm

Where’s my gameboy!

did you check between the couch cushions?

88. Suki Wong
    89 | January 7, 2013 9:59 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    Exactly, McCarron was on his knees in the end zone, somewhat but not properly genuflecting.
    No wonder why St Scrosoppi was glum.

He foresaw the betrayal.

90 | January 7, 2013 10:06 pm

Um, this isn’t going well.
    I didn’t think that the Irish could be pushed around this way.
    Time to start Tommy Reese in the 2nd half. Nothing to lose
    at this point.

90. Bob-Crotchit
    91 | January 7, 2013 10:07 pm

Ok here is is a halftime recap. I feel just like Jack and I did in the hey day at WLGF when we had the sports blog world at our feet.

The Tide has come and the Irish have felt the tsunami. Going into halftime the towering Big Crimson Alabama Badda Bing Bam has come to deal the Irish a crushing tidal blow back. Where do the Irish go from here? Pray that it doesn’t get worse. There is nothing worse than a blowout, but that is worse for us watching than for those playing.

Jack?

91. Suki Wong
    92 | January 7, 2013 10:10 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    It’s your turn to call Jack.

93 | January 7, 2013 10:14 pm

OK, shake down the thunder, or wake up the echoes or something.
    Come on Irish, make it a game.

93. Bob-Crotchit
    94 | January 7, 2013 10:15 pm

Suki Wong wrote:

It’s your turn to call Jack.

I tried. The last number he gave me was 867-5309

95 | January 7, 2013 10:16 pm

Bob-Crotchit wrote:

Where do the Irish go from here?

Home?

95. Bob-Crotchit
    96 | January 7, 2013 10:17 pm

Suki Wong wrote:

No wonder why St Scrosoppi was glum.

He foresaw the betrayal

I blame Tim Tebow.

96. 97 | January 7, 2013 10:17 pm

@ huckfunn:

They should have a mercy rule in College Football. This game is a wrap. Notre Dame does not belong on the same field as Alabama.

98 | January 7, 2013 10:20 pm

This is ugly!

98. brookly red
    99 | January 7, 2013 10:21 pm

@ huckfunn:

mercy? sounds French to me…

99. Suki Wong
    100 | January 7, 2013 10:22 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    Jenny’s number, figures.

He was snooping around her window earlier today and I called him out on objectifying a female form in a not so flattering manner. Creep.

Bunk X
    January 7, 2013 at 5:32 pm | #93
    Reply | Quote

httpv://thechive.com/2009/06/14/youll-poke-your-eye-out-20-photos/

101 | January 7, 2013 10:22 pm

Second half. Come on Irish, do something!

101. Bob-Crotchit
    102 | January 7, 2013 10:23 pm

shake down the thunder

Get that lightening out of the bottle and serve up a game. I want an interesting game the is not reminiscent of the blowout tire Jack had with his refurbed Nacho Taxi.

102. Suki Wong
    103 | January 7, 2013 10:23 pm

@ Suki Wong:

No v

Bunk X
    January 7, 2013 at 5:32 pm | #93
    Reply | Quote

104 | January 7, 2013 10:25 pm

I haven’t watched an ND game all year so I’m in the dark as to why they ended up at #1. I just looked at their schedule. Yes they’re undefeated, but their schedule simply wasn’t that tough.

104. Bob-Crotchit
    105 | January 7, 2013 10:26 pm

@ Suki Wong:
    wow. nice tank tops

Back to the other game./

105. Suki Wong
    106 | January 7, 2013 10:28 pm

Dix rule.

There I said it, happy Bob?

106. 107 | January 7, 2013 10:28 pm

@ huckfunn:

Yes they’re undefeated, but their schedule simply wasn’t that tough.

It’s showing in this game.

107. eaglesoars
    108 | January 7, 2013 10:28 pm

Hubby just told be the Alabama coach showed a 15 minute video to the whole team. It was Mariano Rivera talking about how he prepared for a game and how he focused. Forgets where he read it.

108. Bob-Crotchit
    109 | January 7, 2013 10:31 pm

@ Suki Wong:

Did you take off your shoes when you keyed that? It’s important/

Just kidding. Hanna Storm got it.

109. eaglesoars
    111 | January 7, 2013 10:34 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Forgets where he read it.

Found it

112 | January 7, 2013 10:35 pm

Pitt almost beat them.

113 | January 7, 2013 10:35 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

eaglesoars wrote:
    Forgets where he read it.
    Found it

seems to working

114 | January 7, 2013 10:38 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

Pitt almost beat them.

I remember that. Pitt should have won and we wouldn’t even be talking about ND tonight.

113. Suki Wong
    115 | January 7, 2013 10:38 pm

@ Bumr50:
    Imma gonna go cry and then blow my nose into my Grandma’s recipe book tonight.

116 | January 7, 2013 10:39 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Bumr50 wrote:
    Pitt almost beat them.

I’m simply expressing my piety

115. Bob-Crotchit
    117 | January 7, 2013 10:40 pm

This is like the West Hollywood Drag Competition Jack and I covered in 86′. Tulsa was blown out. By score, that is.

118 | January 7, 2013 10:41 pm

I’m simply expressing my piety

Yessir. I hereby invoke the mercy rule as to my comments for the rest of this game.

119 | January 7, 2013 10:43 pm

huckfunn wrote:

I’m simply expressing my piety

well we tried…otherwise I hate ND with a passion

118. Tanker
    120 | January 7, 2013 10:46 pm

Something is really screwed up with the BCS way of ranking teams. What happened to the strength of schedule part of their looking at teams. I’ve watch at least 5 teams during the bowls that could give Bama a better game!

121 | January 7, 2013 10:47 pm

Bumr50 wrote:

Pitt almost beat them.

But the didn’t

122 | January 7, 2013 10:49 pm

At least it won’t be a shut out.

123 | January 7, 2013 10:49 pm

algo-rhythms

122. 124 | January 7, 2013 10:51 pm

Tanker wrote:

Notre Dame does not belong in this game. This is really reflective of how screwed up the BSC system is.

125 | January 7, 2013 10:51 pm

when you mail in 3/4 of the championship game, it’s entirely possible you shouldn’t be there, this is true

126 | January 7, 2013 10:51 pm

Bob-Crotchit wrote:

shake down the thunder

Maybe it will get a little interesting now.

127 | January 7, 2013 10:53 pm

on the positive side…this might be the most heroic comeback of all time!

126. Bob-Crotchit
    128 | January 7, 2013 10:54 pm

ND scores. Now all they have to do is do that four more times. And then a bit more.

Is it time for a Snoopy dance? Take it Suki/.

129 | January 7, 2013 10:55 pm

heysoos wrote:

on the positive side…this might be the most heroic comeback of all time!

I support you in that thought.
    It would be homeric.

128. Tanker
    130 | January 7, 2013 10:59 pm

heysoos wrote:

on the positive side…this might be the most heroic comeback of all time!

Never seen this much optimism from you. Careful people may start seeing/reading you differently!

131 | January 7, 2013 10:59 pm

I can’t stand Kirk Herbstriet Smarmy jerk!
    This blow out is making me cranky

132 | January 7, 2013 10:59 pm

time for Alabama to empty the bench…back to back championships or any NCAA QB…

131. Suki Wong
    133 | January 7, 2013 11:03 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:
    Do not make me ply you with Hello Kitty merchandise in lieu of Snoopy stuff.

Where would you even shop for St Snoopy Valentine’s Day plush to rub up and down your ‘bama Roll Tidddy Whities? on such a sad night?

Meh? Give me some nachos and shut me up.

134 | January 7, 2013 11:03 pm

heysoos wrote:
    on the positive side…this might be the most heroic comeback of all time!

is my fly open?

133. Bob-Crotchit
    135 | January 7, 2013 11:04 pm

Notre Dame was rated numero uno based on their record among those participating. Who else would qualify as 1st and 2nd?

134. 136 | January 7, 2013 11:08 pm

Notre Dame never should have been selected to play in the BCS Championship. This is a huge embarrassment.

135. Bob-Crotchit
    137 | January 7, 2013 11:09 pm

I am a fat lady. I am singing.

la la l laaa la laa la l laaaa

136. 138 | January 7, 2013 11:09 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:

They should weight it by caliber of opponent. I think next year we get a 4 game playoff.

139 | January 7, 2013 11:11 pm

@ Bob-Crotchit:

not next year, but it’s coming…the NCAA is gonna take a hit after this game…need a playoff, and this bullshit of 5 weeks off has to stop

138. Suki Wong
    140 | January 7, 2013 11:11 pm

Rodanglish!!!

Whorah, all is not lost!

141 | January 7, 2013 11:12 pm

Good night all. This is now to painful to watch.
    Be advised that this thrashing of Notre Dame portends the
    End of Days.
    It’s in the Bible, by Matthew, Luke or Bill, or one of those guys.

140. Bob-Crotchit
    142 | January 7, 2013 11:13 pm

I think that’s a great idea. The one thing I dislike about football in determining the best teams is the one game playoff scenario in college as well as pro ball.

143 | January 7, 2013 11:17 pm

Bob-Crotchit wrote:

make the Super Bowl three out of five!…hell of an idea

142. Bob-Crotchit
    144 | January 7, 2013 11:17 pm

Suki Wong wrote:

Rodanglish

I never knew you to be a term coiner, but that is good.

143. Bob-Crotchit
    145 | January 7, 2013 11:20 pm

make the Super Bowl three out of five!…hell of an idea

Not the super bowl, but rather the wildcards and at the divisional level. 2 of 3 for both. Conference 1. Those making it that far have merited their mettle with the lessor teams.

146 | January 7, 2013 11:23 pm

Bob-Crotchit wrote:

make the Super Bowl three out of five!…hell of an idea

not enough bodies…it won’t work…
    single elimination is the tradition in football…you can’t play a double header

145. Tanker
    147 | January 7, 2013 11:25 pm

Bob-Crotchit wrote:

make the Super Bowl three out of five!…hell of an idea

That will never happen. To many bumps on the head and mama’s little rich boy may not get to play next year!

148 | January 7, 2013 11:27 pm

Bob-Crotchit wrote:
    make the Super Bowl three out of five!…hell of an idea

I never caught on with the second wild card game…just two more game to get guys hurt…it’s all about money now

147. 149 | January 7, 2013 11:31 pm

Speed the game up. The only time the clock should stop is for a time out or when a player needs a doctor to look at him. The rest of the time, it just ticks away…

148. Tanker
    150 | January 7, 2013 11:31 pm

Bob-Crotchit wrote:
    make the Super Bowl three out of five!…hell of an idea

Always has been, always will be!

149. Bob-Crotchit
    151 | January 7, 2013 11:36 pm

heysoos wrote:

not enough bodies…it won’t work…
    single elimination is the tradition in football…you can’t play a double header

Tanker wrote:

How would it be any different than divisional teams playing each other twice in a season? I don’t see the problem with the best team going 2 of 3 in playoffs.

152 | January 7, 2013 11:36 pm

mfhorn wrote:

I disagree, clock management is a big part of the drama

153 | January 7, 2013 11:38 pm

Bob-Crotchit wrote:

heysoos wrote:
    not enough bodies…it won’t work…
    single elimination is the tradition in football…you can’t play a double header
    Tanker wrote:

the players are not capable…health is a real concern and more games is just too much stress

154 | January 8, 2013 12:37 am

Where’d everyone go?

155 | January 8, 2013 12:42 am

Notre Dame played like Obama plays his office.

154. song_and_dance_man