Meanwhile In An Alternate Universe OOT

by Macker ( 50 Comments › )
Filed under Entertainment, Movies, OOT, Open thread at January 15th, 2013 - 10:12 pm

One of my favorite Japanese actors could have been cast in the role of one of two iconic characters from movie history…but he decided not to, according to his daughter. Bummer…it meant he would have learned his lines phonetically, just like he did with “Midway”:

Mifune ultimately turned down the role of Obi-Wan because he thought “Star Wars” was just going to be a kids’ movie, and obviously the alleged counter-offer of Vader didn’t convince him otherwise. It was all probably for the best (where would we be without that nightmares-inducing Vader mask?), but the what-if? scenario certainly conjures amusing visions of Darth Vader as an angry (and probably bearded) Japanese man.
One thing’s for sure — if Mifune had accepted either role, it would’ve made for one hell of a lightsaber duel.

Indeed! It’s time for the Overnight Open Thread!

Tags: , , ,

Comments

50 Responses to “Meanwhile In An Alternate Universe OOT”

1 | January 15, 2013 10:16 pm

and you thought you were safe…
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvCG7kgxeCc&feature=related

2. brookly red
    2 | January 15, 2013 10:23 pm

/silly, everyone knows Darth Vader is Karl Rove…

3 | January 15, 2013 10:31 pm

@ brookly red:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgTuarwFm6s

4. 4 | January 15, 2013 10:32 pm

brookly red wrote:

/silly, everyone knows Darth Vader is Karl Rove…

I thought that was Palpatine.

5 | January 15, 2013 10:36 pm

1389AD wrote:

brookly red wrote:
    /silly, everyone knows Darth Vader is Karl Rove…
    I thought that was Palpatine.

Robert Byrd was Palpatine.

6. eaglesoars
    6 | January 15, 2013 10:37 pm

1389AD wrote:

brookly red wrote:

/silly, everyone knows Darth Vader is Karl Rove…

I thought that was Palpatine.

I left a link for you at the bottom of the thread downstairs – comment #168 – ‘cuz I know you like cats

7 | January 15, 2013 10:38 pm

@ brookly red:

I’m burned out with race

8. eaglesoars
    8 | January 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Gingrich bitch-slaps Nora O’Donnell into next week.

NEWT GINGRICH: Well, I think it’s amazing that we’re having all this discussion about gun control. The President’s hometown of Chicago is the murder capital of the United States. Over 500 people were killed there last year. Vice President Biden doesn’t seem to want to go there. I’m trying to get the House Republicans to hold hearings there. It’s illegal to have all the guns that are killing people in Chicago

If gun control works, Chicago ought to be safe.

9. 9 | January 15, 2013 10:45 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Newt speaks the truth.

10. eaglesoars
    10 | January 15, 2013 10:48 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Newt speaks the truth.

*sigh*

Yeah. My guys always lose. Gingrich. Fred Thompson. Discouraging.

11 | January 15, 2013 10:50 pm

Jesse the Shake claimed that more guns made people less safe…he was probably in the Bahamas rather than Chicago at the time

12. eaglesoars
    12 | January 15, 2013 10:51 pm

@ heysoos:

who the hell is Jesse the Shake?

13 | January 15, 2013 10:51 pm

@ eaglesoars:

You too, huh?

We taught Leia to raise her ears whenever someone said Thompson back in 2008.

14 | January 15, 2013 10:53 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

@ heysoos:
    who the hell is Jesse the Shake?

Jesse Jackson, shakedown artist

15. 15 | January 15, 2013 10:55 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Your guys are my guys!

:-)

I was for Newt because he is my type of Republican, Center-Right solutions oriented and forward looking. Sadly they seem to be a dying breed!

Oh well, we just have to live and take care of ourselves!

16. eaglesoars
    16 | January 15, 2013 10:57 pm

Hey! I’m watching Justified – still lovin it. Why is Raylan’s father in prison?

17. eaglesoars
    17 | January 15, 2013 10:59 pm

heysoos wrote:

eaglesoars wrote:

@ heysoos:
    who the hell is Jesse the Shake?

Jesse Jackson, shakedown artist

heh. I’m stealing that!

18. brookly red
    18 | January 15, 2013 10:59 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Hey! I’m watching Justified — still lovin it. Why is Raylan’s father in prison?

32 oz soda…

19 | January 15, 2013 11:00 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Hey! I’m watching Justified — still lovin it. Why is Raylan’s father in prison?

That’s not exactly clear. In the 3rd season finale, Arlo confessed to killing a state cop and one of Boyd Crowder’s guys, but I don’t think he actually did it.

I’m sure we’ll learn more in the future.

20 | January 15, 2013 11:01 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

heysoos wrote:

eaglesoars wrote:
    @ heysoos:
    who the hell is Jesse the Shake?
    Jesse Jackson, shakedown artist

heh. I’m stealing that!

we were riffin on mobster names last night

21. eaglesoars
    21 | January 15, 2013 11:02 pm

brookly red wrote:

eaglesoars wrote:

Hey! I’m watching Justified — still lovin it. Why is Raylan’s father in prison?

32 oz soda…

They don’thave 32 oz sodas in Harlan Co. Kentucky. The have 32 oz. bottles of moonshine.

I’m retiring there.

22 | January 15, 2013 11:03 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Arlo Givens is pretty much a career criminal (like much of Harlan, actually) but it was mostly small-time stuff. I don’t think he actually killed anyone.

And he has the early stages of Alzheimers or some other type of dementia.

23. eaglesoars
    23 | January 15, 2013 11:03 pm

I’m sure we’ll learn more in the future.

Once I recover from the latest round of Molly’s vet bills, I’m ordering the previous seasons

24 | January 15, 2013 11:05 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

I’m sure we’ll learn more in the future.

You really do need to watch it from the beginning to be able to understand the big picture.

25 | January 15, 2013 11:05 pm

you’re thinking, who the hell is Jimmy Reed?…
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAY0HQjLDU

26. unclassifiable
    26 | January 15, 2013 11:06 pm

@ brookly red:

Now that there is funny :-D

27 | January 15, 2013 11:07 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

brookly red wrote:

eaglesoars wrote:
    Hey! I’m watching Justified — still lovin it. Why is Raylan’s father in prison?
    32 oz soda…

I’m retiring there.

I came within an inch of buying a bunch of land down there, in the eastern hills…I love Kentucky

28 | January 15, 2013 11:08 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I had all the episodes from the first 3 seasons on my recently-departed laptop.

29. eaglesoars
    29 | January 15, 2013 11:08 pm

True. But the dialogue is SO fantastic. Waldo Truth’s wife – “I thought we were talkin’ about shit that don’t matter. Most romantic thing anyone ever said to me.”

That’s iconic. If dialogue can be iconic. I get the same kick out of Lonesome Dove.

30. eaglesoars
    30 | January 15, 2013 11:10 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I had all the episodes from the first 3 seasons on my recently-departed laptop.

:sad:

31 | January 15, 2013 11:11 pm

@ eaglesoars:

The part where the judge got shot by a drugged-out whore while wearing a bear costume last week was classic.

Also shows why you want something bigger than a 5 shot .38 special :)

32. eaglesoars
    32 | January 15, 2013 11:12 pm

heysoos wrote:

I love Virginia. Hubby could never leave and it would break my heart too. But more and more I think we may need a place to hide – and I’m thinking Texas.

33. eaglesoars
    33 | January 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Hubby wanted to know what I was laughing at. He could hear me downstairs. At the break I told him trailer trash just shot a judge in a bear costume.

He looked at me and said “You’re never boring”

34 | January 15, 2013 11:15 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

heysoos wrote:
    I love Virginia. Hubby could never leave and it would break my heart too. But more and more I think we may need a place to hide — and I’m thinking Texas.

I fled MI for New Mexico, for several reasons…Texas is a beast, I could live down near the gulf somewhere

35. eaglesoars
    35 | January 15, 2013 11:19 pm

Because an injustice has been done in our community. We have just lived under 27–21—years of Mayor Daley, and now we’re living under Rahm “Caligulus” Emanuel. We’re living underneath a whole new reign of insanity…

The machine don’t like you, and it don’t like me….I am not running against a particular person. I’m running against a machine that has gobbled my community up….if you think it’s normal for your neighborhood to have only vacant houses and only poor people walking around that’s broke and ain’t got no money. Only in our community, where you can walk down the street and you see 8 or 9 or 15 people standing on the corner, you have to ask yourself, ‘what’s wrong with me to make me think that this is alright. What’s wrong with me to think that this is normal for my community to look like this’ You need to ask yourself why do I keep voting for the same people. Listen, if you go along with these people, if you go along with this stuff, it’s your fault. It’s your fault.

Of the 22 candidates in the race for Jesse Jackson Jr’s vacated congressional seat (IL-2), 17 Democrats and 5 Republicans, only one candidate is speaking out against the Chicago machine. At a January 12 candidate forum, Republican candidate Paul McKinley set the crowd alight as he spoke of voters taking responsibility for voting the same types of candidates in time and again

36. AZfederalist
    36 | January 15, 2013 11:19 pm

@ heysoos:

Problem is, NM has Santa Fe and they seem to always get their way. Good news is your new governor.

37. eaglesoars
    37 | January 15, 2013 11:23 pm

heysoos wrote:

I could live down near the gulf somewhere

I’d be away from the gulf. Far too much experience with floods. When I was a little girl, we used to vacation in Biloxi Mississippi in a house right across Rte 66 from the gulf. Loved it. Then in ’68 (I think) Hurricane Camille destroyed everything.

The election day flood nearly destroyed all my family’s property in Penna.

38 | January 15, 2013 11:24 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

@ heysoos:

I moved from the NE Heights of Albuquerque to Santa Fe back in 2000.

By 2003, I gave up on the state entirely and moved to where I am now, in Colorado.

I think I’m done moving.

39 | January 15, 2013 11:25 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

@ heysoos:

Santa Fe is a liberal pit for sure…I can’t stand going near the place…other than that we are fairy diverse…nobody is very extreme down here…we pretty much stick to ourselves despite political differences…NM wrote several chapters on State’s Corruption…nobody cares about us so we rip each other off….it’s what we do

40 | January 15, 2013 11:41 pm

@ AZfederalist:
    @ heysoos:
    The best I can tell, Fanta Se has largely been over run by Californiacs. Lost cause.

41 | January 15, 2013 11:46 pm

44. AZfederalist
    44 | January 15, 2013 11:52 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Goodnight Eaglesoars

45. eaglesoars
    45 | January 15, 2013 11:53 pm

Hey! As I was shutting down all the windows I caught this at instapundit. Guess who’s joing PJTV?

Allen West!

‘k nite

46 | January 16, 2013 1:29 am

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0602tuvXUk

47. 47 | January 16, 2013 4:46 am

Well, I see NT acted quickly and now claims the crown of “most restrictive gun laws in the US.” There is one absolutely certain outcome of this – CA will not let it’s cross-country rival in stupidty take away their cherised # 1 position, so look for them to get something even more draconian into law ASAP. NY needed RINOs to pull it off, but CA faces no such problems.

48. 48 | January 16, 2013 4:47 am

Er, “NY”, not “NT”.

49. 49 | January 16, 2013 5:11 am

Good morning. Even adults like playing in puddles.

50. 50 | January 16, 2013 7:01 am

@ PaladinPhil:

Biding time for when I can try that Gingerbread Latte! LOL!