What The F#@$ Is Up With Colin Powell?

by Flyovercountry ( 168 Comments › )
Filed under Politics at January 15th, 2013 - 11:30 am

For those of us who consider ourselves to be conservatives,Colin Powell has a big problem with us. Apparently, according to the retired General, if you believe in a literal translation of the Constitution, and are not in line with this living document crap, then you’re guilty of racism. If you believe in smaller government, and one that is constrained in both scope and authority by those that are governed by it, guess what. That’s right, you’re a racist. Those of us who wish to see our government’s spending limited to the revenues raised through the least amount of taxation necessary, so that it may perform the minimal functions expressed by our founding documents are in fact one code word away from being the 21st century equivalent of those who lynched minorities just a scant century ago. Apparently, the mere noticing of this Administration’s complete incompetence in terms of the foreign policy that fomented the Benghazi disaster and the frightful subsequent handling of the inevitable consequence of that childish policy which followed, is the moral equivalent of a hate crime. Those of us on the political right have driven poor Colin from voting to support his Republican party, which he still counts himself a member of.

Before I go too much further in my rant of disgust with Powell’s recent behavior, allow me to say that I admire his long, distinguished, and honorable service to our nation. I thank him for all that he has done. That being said, there is a difference between his past and current actions. What ever benefits of doubt he earned with his service, he has used up, and then some. Just to put the point to the word hypocritical that has been so thoroughly earned by Powell, let’s do some score keeping, shall we? Powell served as a White House Fellow in both the Nixon and Ford Administrations. He served as a National Security Adviser to Republican Ronald Reagan. George H.W. Bush appointed Colin to be his Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. George W. Bush made him his Secretary of State. To date, he has been appointed to nothing by any of the more tolerant Democrats who occupied the Oval Office. Colin Powell’s support of Barack Obama is his Constitutional Right. I applaud him for using his gravitas to support any candidate he chooses, he has earned that privilege to both hold that gravitas, and to use it in any way he sees fit. What I have a problem with is his usage of his gravitas to demagogue me, and any who agree with me because we would dare to disagree with him politically. Just for Colin, and any who might be swayed by his recent rap, here is the definition of demagogue.

dem·a·gogue /ˈdeməˌgäg/ Noun A political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires and prejudices rather than by using rational argument. (in ancient Greece and Rome) A leader or orator who espoused the cause of the common people.

Special note for Powell’s family:

Please, for the love of God, get his Alzheimer’s treated already.

It is possible to support your chosen candidate and to keep the arguments focused on factual debate. It should be possible to be opposed to any one and not automatically labeled as racist or be bullied for holding an opposing view point. The discourse coming from the political left for years has been nothing more than ad hominems, straw men, non sequiturs, and the lowest form of divisive class warfare. Part of my reason for being so angry with General Powell is not just the fact that he switched sides and began drinking the liberal kool aid, such is his right as an American. It is that I had come to expect so much more from him in terms of honest discourse. Watching a person for whom I had so much admiration descend to this level of slime is painful to me on a very personal level. I gave him my personal trust and admiration, and he has so thoroughly destroyed that trust, that I am no longer interested in welcoming him back into any tent that I will ever occupy. He may be a perfect fit for the new Republican Party, once they’ve successfully purged themselves of any who hold the slightest resemblance of being principled.

Cross Posted from Musings of a Mad Conservative.

Comments

168 Responses to “What The F#@$ Is Up With Colin Powell?”

1. 1 | January 15, 2013 11:33 am

Colon’s Bowel should just declare himself an effing Democrat and leave us all the hell alone. But he has no value on the national stage as a libturd -- his only value to the media is a Republican bashing other Republicans. Like that Morning Schmoe over at MSLSD.

2. 2 | January 15, 2013 11:39 am

Powell’s a whiney bitch, an odd personality trait for a General Officer, but there seems to be more and more of them. I’m beginning to think that, perhaps, Schwarzkopf was exceptional in more ways than one; he may have been among an ever-shrinking number of officers that put their country and their service ahead of their careers.

3 | January 15, 2013 11:40 am

Another lightskinned affirmative action hire that is consumed with working off his self-hatred.

4 | January 15, 2013 11:41 am

He also says Sarah Palin is a racist for using the phrase ‘shuck and jive’

5 | January 15, 2013 11:42 am

No greater than John McCain’s whom despite being a friend of his, he refused to endorse in 2008.

6 | January 15, 2013 11:42 am

Unfortunately Powell is a phony.
    He could not support Republicans due to their extremism?
    McCain is a hard right Conservative? Don’t think so.
    Pure and simple his Obama support is based on race.

7 | January 15, 2013 11:43 am

Unfortunately Powell is a phony.
    He could not support Republicans due to their extremism?
    McCain is a hard right Conservative? Don’t think so.
    Pure and simple his Obama support is based on race.

No more moderate people then George W. Bush, John McCain, and Mitt Romney -- the last three candidates.

8 | January 15, 2013 11:44 am

waldensianspirit wrote:

He also says Sarah Palin is a racist for using the phrase ‘shuck and jive’

As Brit Hume said last night, Palin is a private citizen and not in government.

9. 9 | January 15, 2013 11:44 am

Yep. The flogging of the GOP is his way of covering his own ass so he won’t have to admit he voted for O-bam for his skin color.

10 | January 15, 2013 11:45 am

Powell is a melaninny.

11. 11 | January 15, 2013 11:46 am

I can see Obama and Powell, after their retirement, sitting in a Starbucks sipping Mulattos, comparing their grievances.

12 | January 15, 2013 11:47 am

He brings the Peter Principle front and center

13 | January 15, 2013 11:47 am

MacDuff wrote:

May they be many with each added day in the White House

14. Colin Powell
    14 | January 15, 2013 11:53 am

You all must heed what I say. My words move people and millions go by what I say.

I am Colin Powell and I have spoken!

15. 15 | January 15, 2013 11:53 am

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Colin Powell the genius that was responsible for us leaving Saddam Hussein in power after Desert Storm?

16 | January 15, 2013 11:56 am

waldensianspirit wrote:

He brings the Peter Principle front and center

Truly a sad thing to witness… :roll:

17 | January 15, 2013 11:57 am

You are correct.

18. taxfreekiller
    18 | January 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Gen. Powell is a black John McCain.

Keep it simple.

19. 19 | January 15, 2013 12:02 pm

@ Colin Powell:

Must.control.fists.of.death……

20. 20 | January 15, 2013 12:02 pm

I thought he was a fake and phony ever since he landed on the national stage. After Desert Storm and his stint as Sec of State, he became less than that even. From phoney to traitor. The GOP’s problem is appealing to the so-called moderates. Stand on hard-rock conservative principles and the GOP would flourish. No one likes luke-warm, bland and tasteless.

21 | January 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Yes, he was. A whole lot of us figured out that we were going to be coming back one day after the cease-fire went into effect. I was just surprised that it took so long.

22. taxfreekiller
    22 | January 15, 2013 12:04 pm

What Mark Levin is saying counts up much more than “Former” Gen. Powell.

Mark and Congressman Steve Stockman of Texas both say the same thing the same day.

We will fight now or the commie win.

Obama wants a fight, give him his fight.

23 | January 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Well Clinton had to mess around in between Storms

24. taxfreekiller
    24 | January 15, 2013 12:06 pm

Very possible he has poor blood pressure and has lost his mental ability to reason or he is a commie Democrat. Same results.

25. 25 | January 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Bowel needs to explain, and fully, how he let Scooter Libby go on trial when he knew that his own aide Richard Armitage had leaked Valerie Plame’s info to Novack. There is no HONOR anymore in Bowel. That was a dirtbag move.

26. taxfreekiller
    26 | January 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Mark has a poll up.

” Is Pres. Obama an imperial President

Current 3925 votes, 98% yes 2% No.

27. eaglesoars
    27 | January 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi everyone.

How much will you bet that this guy is setting up to run for president?

28. 28 | January 15, 2013 12:16 pm

@ father_of_10:

That’s where the issue is, what is “Conservative?” People have different definitions.

29 | January 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Powell, McCain, Hagel, Crist and Specter are peas in a pod. They’re worse than RINOs. I’d go so far as to say they are/were stealth demorats. Specter and Crist prove the point.

30. 30 | January 15, 2013 12:17 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Hi everyone.
    How much will you bet that this guy is setting up to run for president?

I could see him running for the No labels crowd.

31. 31 | January 15, 2013 12:17 pm

@ eaglesoars:

On the Democrat ticket? He’d beat what else they have up, I guess. At one time he could have had the Republican ticket, but I think that time is over with. I’ve never liked him, politically. He was always too far Left for my tastes, and it is clear now that he harbors a racial resentment that is quite startling given his accomplishments in the world.

32. AZfederalist
    32 | January 15, 2013 12:17 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Hi everyone.

How much will you bet that this guy is setting up to run for president?

So he’s going to be the next “most electable” candidate? That is, if he runs as a Republican. After endorsing Obama, not sure he will be able to do that.

33. 33 | January 15, 2013 12:18 pm

@ huckfunn:

I think the national (not state level) Republican Party is a whole false flag operation.

34. 34 | January 15, 2013 12:19 pm

He’ll probably go no Labels. I think in 2016 we might see a 4 or 5 way Presidential race.

35. 35 | January 15, 2013 12:22 pm

We could. That would be interesting. A Republican could win that. It would depend on the candidates. The Democrat Party seems to be staking its future electibility on the gun control issue. While that may excite the Democrat base, a substantial majority of Americans believe in Second Amendment rights. It’ll depend on what the Republicans do on the issue. Someone like Romney would leave it alone (as Romney did). Someone closer to the base though, like Marco Rubio could have a field day with it.

36. 36 | January 15, 2013 12:24 pm

I definitely will rule any Lefty candidate. But if Rand Paul goes Indy in 2016 he got my vote.

37 | January 15, 2013 12:27 pm

But if Rand Paul goes Indy in 2016 he got my vote.

You’re just a sucker for a fedora, a leather jacket, and a bullwhip.

38. 38 | January 15, 2013 12:27 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

Yeah that would be cool seeing someone dress like that!

39 | January 15, 2013 12:29 pm

I actually think that if Perry had shown up at the debates in cowboy boots and shirt, and jeans, and given a nice, relaxed “yeehaw” or two, he would have wiped the floor with the other candidates. It was being buckled into his Sunday-go-to-meetin’ suit that did him in; he looked like an uncomfortable hired hand.

40. 40 | January 15, 2013 12:31 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

I agree. Perry should have been himself and told Bachmann and Romney to Fuck off.

41. Mars
    41 | January 15, 2013 12:31 pm

I think we need our candidates to come out of Wyoming. Looking back at my time there it’s just mind blowing how there are so many flat out common sense and regular people from BOTH parties.

42 | January 15, 2013 12:32 pm

@ huckfunn:

I originally thought that idea was way over the top, but I’m coming around.

43. 43 | January 15, 2013 12:35 pm

@ huckfunn:

The Republicans play straw man time and time again. I can understand once or twice, but the GOP has been losing for almost 20 years now at the national level. SOmething is not adding up.

44 | January 15, 2013 12:36 pm

You can make good money as a palooka throwing fights.

45. 45 | January 15, 2013 12:38 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

Yup, that’s what I am thinking.

46 | January 15, 2013 12:39 pm

Actually, at this point the smartest thing would be for a large nationwide cabal of organized conservatives to run for office as Democrats.

Use the Soros money, the ACORN vote fraud, etc., etc., to conservative advantage to get elected. Take false-flag positions with the Democratic Party if necessary, until you get into the House or Senate. Then slowly but inexorably go “bipartisan,” crossing the aisle to work with Republicans and using nice PC rhetoric to make it sound good.

About ten years of that and the country would be back on track.

47 | January 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Speranza wrote:

Unfortunately Powell is a phony.
    He could not support Republicans due to their extremism?
    McCain is a hard right Conservative? Don’t think so.
    Pure and simple his Obama support is based on race.

No more moderate people then George W. Bush, John McCain, and Mitt Romney — the last three candidates.

Exactly

48. Mars
    48 | January 15, 2013 12:42 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

About ten years of that and the country would be back on track.

It’s a good plan but for some reason it just won’t happen. Republicans just don’t have the spine. Plus you can guarantee after the first few the dems would develop some kind of new election rules to limit it from happening (to them).

49 | January 15, 2013 12:43 pm

mskelly wrote:

He will never own up to that.

50. 51 | January 15, 2013 12:44 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

I was thinking just that. Up and coming Conservatives/Libertarians should run as Dems. Then once they get enough numbers, enact a Conservative agenda. The media would not know what to do.

51. 52 | January 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Good post. I am really starting to think its all a charade.

53 | January 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Up and coming Conservatives/Libertarians should run as Dems

Soon they’ll have to. We’re on the short road to the one-party State.

53. 54 | January 15, 2013 12:51 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

At the national level definitely.

54. 55 | January 15, 2013 12:53 pm

I’m hoping this will be Obama’s “crossing of the Rubicon”, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it netted him another damned Nobel Prize.

56 | January 15, 2013 12:54 pm

At the national level definitely.

In New York State too. Cuomo is revealing his inner Fascist.

56. 57 | January 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Good post. I am really starting to think its all a charade.

I have not wanted to think that, but the evidence just keeps piling up, and that evidence keeps shouting “Aristocracy” vs the “little unwashed masses” of people.

58 | January 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Is Biden trying to get Obama impeached?

//sly devil hoodwinking us all

58. 59 | January 15, 2013 12:59 pm

I think the the GOP is just a strawman party for the Dems to demonize. I do think there’s something to the New World Order/Illuminati stuff. Not as crazy as Alex Jones, but something is there.

59. 60 | January 15, 2013 1:00 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

Cuomo is just trying to be like his Paisano Il Duce.

60. 61 | January 15, 2013 1:01 pm

@ MacDuff:

As I said earlier, the Democrats seem to be tying their future electibility to sellin ga reluctant American people on gun control. That is going to be a rough slog. The Liberal Northeast and Left Caost may love the idea, but the rest of the country loathes it. There are something like 14 Senate Democrats up for re-election in 2014, and a number of them come from gun friendly states. If they support Obama on this, they are likely to lose their seats. ANd it is for nothing unless the Republicans sell us out. There’s nothing going to get through the House without solid Republican support.

62 | January 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Cuomo is just trying to be like his Paisano Il Duce.

“Il Douche” would be a good name for him.

63 | January 15, 2013 1:03 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Let’s all party like it’s 1859, 1914, and 1939 all rolled into one happy year to come…

64 | January 15, 2013 1:03 pm

yea more a change of currency coming for a global coinage. Expect some funky looking dudes on them

64. 65 | January 15, 2013 1:04 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

But if Rand Paul goes Indy in 2016 he got my vote.
    You’re just a sucker for a fedora, a leather jacket, and a bullwhip.

I would think Rand would go NASCAR before he’d go Indy, myself.

66 | January 15, 2013 1:05 pm

It’s interesting that not much has been made about Cuomo “living in sin” with food show slut Sandra Lee. It’s the first time, I think, that we’ve had a First Doxy in the gubernatorial mansion.

66. 67 | January 15, 2013 1:06 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

That’s why Bernanke is destroying the value of the dollar. There’s something more sinister at work here.

67. 68 | January 15, 2013 1:06 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

It’s New York. I’m surprised it isn’t his gay partner. Seriously.

68. 69 | January 15, 2013 1:08 pm

There’s a reason the NRA has amassed another 100,000 members. And the phoney results of the WaPo/ABC poll aside, Americans aren’t stupid when it comes to gun control laws.

So the annointed one will announce his new guidelines, no doubt surrounded by the victims of gun violence; and I’ll wager not one of those crimes was committed with a legally purchased weapon.

69. Mars
    70 | January 15, 2013 1:08 pm

@ MacDuff:

That’s why O’s going to go with the EO route. It gives the dems cover for reelection. Plus he knows the republicans don’t have the spine or the numbers to fight them. And the courts will take so long that he’ll be long gone before they rule.

70. 71 | January 15, 2013 1:08 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

Sandra Lee has the worst show on the Food Network.

71. 72 | January 15, 2013 1:08 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:
    It’s New York. I’m surprised it isn’t his gay partner. Seriously.

He’s Sicilian, it’s not socially acceptable in that community if you get my drift.

72. 73 | January 15, 2013 1:10 pm

@ Mars:

The way the GOP is so dysfunctional I’m not even sure they would be able to make gains in the Senate in 2014. They will run Establishment losers like Tommy Thompson or loons like Akins.

73. 74 | January 15, 2013 1:11 pm

@ Carolina Girl:

I’ve been a victim of violent crime. No one has contacted me to ask my views on the situation. I am very interested to see what Obama announces. He could break the back of the Democrat Party if he oversteps. The last time the Democrats got all froggy on gun control they lost the House and Senate for over a decade.

74. 75 | January 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Sorry I don’t. Kind of a Occam’s Razor thing. It can be disassembled analytically to a very simply premiss. “Those in positions of wealth and power act in their own self interest first and foremost”. They only act out of benevolence once their own self interests have been secured.

75. 76 | January 15, 2013 1:14 pm

@ Mars:

I don’ tthink it will give cover to the Democrats, though. Not if the GOP forces the issue. The Democrats in the Senate will have to give their tacit OK to anything Obama does. If the GOP is smart, they’ll make that explicit. I don’ tknow that the GOP will be smart with this, though. The GOP Elites like GHW Bush are quite fine with gun control. Second Amendment rights are just one of the things their base supports that they hold in contempt.

76. Mars
    77 | January 15, 2013 1:16 pm

@ Mars:

The GOP doesn’t have the spine to speak out.

Islamophobia myth destroyed by statistics.

77. 78 | January 15, 2013 1:17 pm

That dos not rule out that there’s a sinister cabal at work either.

78. Mars
    79 | January 15, 2013 1:18 pm

@ Mars:
    And take a good look at which group is actually most victimized. Strangely enough it is not one that the libs protect.

79. AZfederalist
    80 | January 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Kind of like that team the Harlem Globetrotters play?

80. Mars
    81 | January 15, 2013 1:20 pm

That dos not rule out that there’s a sinister cabal at work either.

There doesn’t have to be a conspiracy. Read Goldbergs writings on the press.

When everyone at a certain level of power goes to the same parties, hangs out with the same people, and has the same obsession with power a conspiracy has no reason to exist, thought becomes homogenized toward the median though process for the area.

81. 82 | January 15, 2013 1:22 pm

doriangrey wrote:

I agree, except I think they only act in seeming benevolence when their interests coincide with said “benevolence”. I don’t think all the rich and powerful are evil (though Obama certainly is), but they are mostly amoral. That is the behavior our society rewards and idolizes. We are getting what we are paying for with our political class. We should set our standards higher, but this is the world of Honey BooBoo and Kim Kardashian. PEople like Lena Dunham really speak to a large percentage of voters.

83 | January 15, 2013 1:24 pm

How do we explain the group think of the media. You’d think a few would break away from the pack to score huge scoops and gain notoriety for taking down big dogs

83. 84 | January 15, 2013 1:24 pm

@ AZfederalist:

You got it!

85 | January 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Mars wrote:

@ Mars:

The GOP doesn’t have the spine to speak out.

Islamophobia myth destroyed by statistics.

It’s NOT Islamophobia when they really are trying to kill you. :evil:

85. Mars
    86 | January 15, 2013 1:26 pm

doriangrey wrote:

This is largely while I am a full capitalist, I have to beat my head against the table over and over again everytime I defend corporations or banks then the dumb SOB’s turn around and do something completely heinous and asinine in full view of the press. It’s hard to defend capitalism when the examples behave like amoral assholes.

PEople like Lena Dunham really speak to a large percentage of voters.

Got more info about this subject coming in Age of Narcissism Part 2.

86. Mars
    87 | January 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

Mars wrote:
    @ Mars:
    The GOP doesn’t have the spine to speak out.
    Islamophobia myth destroyed by statistics.

It’s NOT Islamophobia when they really are trying to kill you.

Very true. Read the article though, it is interesting which group claims the most attacks compared to the group most attacked. There is a connection there. The ones who are screaming the loudest are the ones attacking the group most attacked.

87. 88 | January 15, 2013 1:28 pm

@ Mars:

That’s what I am getting at. Let me give you a perfect example, Marco Rubio. When he was Florida House Speaker, he was very anti-Jihad. He used to warn about the Muslim Brotherhood and Islamist groups. When he ran for the Senate He also warned about Radical Islam and Islamic aggression. Since he’s been in DC, he’s one of the biggest supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood and wants to help al-Qaeda in Syria. He wants to continue foreign aid for Jihadi countries. He’s turned into a George W. Bush Democracy nation builder. I lost alot of respect for him in his Pro-Islamic stances.

That’s a perfect example of what you have described.

88. 89 | January 15, 2013 1:29 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

Some of ‘em have made moves in that direction, but I think most of them are pretty untalented wretches who’s only redeeming value is that of being a loyal sycophant. They’re shallow and the gig pays well.

89. Buffalobob
    90 | January 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Collin is suffering from jiveassaphbia (the fear of realizing you lived your whole life as a white man).

90. Mars
    91 | January 15, 2013 1:30 pm

@ Mars:
    That’s a perfect example of what you have described.

Yep, they lapse into groupthink.

91. Mars
    92 | January 15, 2013 1:32 pm

MacDuff wrote:

waldensianspirit wrote:

Once again Bernard Goldberg has explained this really thoroughly in his books. It really is some amazing reading.

It’s gotten to the point they don’t even need to punish any deviations from the groupthink, the reporters themselves will self edit.

92. 93 | January 15, 2013 1:34 pm

@ Mars:

Yep, they lapse into groupthink.

That’s because the The GOP’s foreign policy establishment is dominated by Bill Kristol, John McCain, Dick Cheney, Dan Senor and the American Enterprise Institute gang. They think the Muslim Brotherhood is cool and nation building must be done.

94 | January 15, 2013 1:34 pm

So, it looks like tomorrow’s big staged event on gun control is going to include children from all over the country who wrote to Obama to plead for new laws.

94. 95 | January 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Obama plans to surround himself with children during gun control announcement

Gawd. Methinks watching this on TV will be worse than water boarding.

95. AZfederalist
    96 | January 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Shamelless, exploitive SOB, isn’t he?

96. 97 | January 15, 2013 1:37 pm

That dos not rule out that there’s a sinister cabal at work either.

Actually it does, as that wealthy and powerful are always in competition with each other over wealth and power. They make temporary alliances where their interests coincide, but are always looking for places to stab each other in the back.

Mars wrote:

There doesn’t have to be a conspiracy. Read Goldbergs writings on the press.

Yes I understand that, but like I said above, They make temporary alliances where their interests coincide, but are always looking for places to stab each other in the back.

There is a mathematical field of study called Chaos Theory, boiled down to it’s most basic premiss it states, that no matter how chaotic a system appears to be, when observed from the correct perspective it’s underlying symmetry becomes evident. Oddly enough, this is also 100 percent true in the reverse. That which appears to have symmetry and order can in fact be random and chaotic.

In this case what it means is that the wealthy and powerful associate primarily with each other, because that’s where the highest concentration of wealth and power are. None of them became wealthy or powerful by accident, and none of them remain wealthy or powerful by accident. They are sharks swimming in a school of other sharks.

But make no mistake about it, they only act together when it is advantageous for them to do so, otherwise, they are their own biggest prey.

97. 98 | January 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Do it for the Children! They can’t win on logic or facts, so they are trying to win on emotion. Who knows? They might. Emotional appeal has worked for Obama all his life. But as I said up-thread, they are bettin gthe future electibility of all Democrats on being able to sell gun control to a reluctant public that is setting records in gun sales because of the rhetoric coming out of the White House. Obama was doing well positioning the Democrats for 2014, but he could piss the whole shooting match away going for the Democrat’s Holy Grail.

98. 99 | January 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Ah, the old “waving the bloody shirt” routine.

100 | January 15, 2013 1:42 pm

“Pweeze, Mistuh Pwesident—will ‘oo do ‘oor vewy best to save us fwom the eevil guns an’ the nasty Wepublican white mans that love them so?”

101 | January 15, 2013 1:43 pm

@ AZfederalist:

I think the next time funding for Planned Parenthood comes up, Republicans need to have a bunch of children around them.

“So, Madam Minority leader, which of these children should have been aborted?”

102 | January 15, 2013 1:43 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Obama plans to surround himself with children during gun control announcement

Human shields.

102. song_and_dance_man
    103 | January 15, 2013 1:44 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Obama plans to surround himself with children during gun control announcement
    Gawd. Methinks watching this on TV will be worse than water boarding.

Every pol since Reagan introduced this bringing out normal citizens to buttress a point has been misused ever since.

103. Mars
    104 | January 15, 2013 1:46 pm

@ Mars:
    Yep, they lapse into groupthink.

Cheney is a great example of what happens to politicians in Washington.

He was one of the greatest guys to come out of Wyoming. He served the state loyally and even did an admirable job under Bush 1. Eventually though elitism ate him up too.

(And don’t even get me started on Alan F-ing Simpson).

105 | January 15, 2013 1:46 pm

MSNBC’s Cro-Magnon Lib Martin Bashir Compares The NRA To Hitler…

MSNBC’s Martin Bashir, the man who compared Rick Santorum to Stalin, on Monday declared that the National Rifle Association “deserved to be equated with Hitler.” The arch-liberal cable anchor highlighted NRA Vice President Wayne LaPierre’s contention that disarming the Jews partly contributed to the Holocaust. A horrified Bashir asserted, “And so with that theory being promoted by the NRA, we’ve seen the most abject and abhorrent suggestion that the President of the United States is somehow the equivalent of Hitler” on the issue of firearms.

NRA to Martin Bashir: Go fuck yourself.

105. song_and_dance_man
    106 | January 15, 2013 1:46 pm

And I bet that every one of those kids come from a Proghouse where the parents ‘assisted’ the kids in writing these sham notes.

106. Mars
    107 | January 15, 2013 1:47 pm

doriangrey wrote:

That dos not rule out that there’s a sinister cabal at work either.

Mars wrote:
    There doesn’t have to be a conspiracy. Read Goldbergs writings on the press.

Very true.

108 | January 15, 2013 1:48 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

And OFA paid for their trip to DC, I’m sure.

108. 109 | January 15, 2013 1:48 pm

I am going to be sick --

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney announced this afternoon that President Obama will unveil a “concrete package” of gun control proposals including assault weapons bans, high capacity ammunition magazine bans, and closing loopholes on background checks.

Carney said that the president will be joined by Vice President Joe Biden as well as children who wrote to the president after the Newtown shootings.

“They will be joined by children around the country expressing their concerns about gun violence and school safety, along with their parents,” Carney confirmed.

Of course. And I bet not ONE of those parents will be a member of the NRA, will own a gun, or will support cops in schools. This twit can’t do anything without staging it like an effing Broadway Show.

Perhaps the NRA and the GOP can stage a presser afterward that features it’s own cast -- children and adults SAVED because a civilian had access to a firearm.

Calling this jerk a piece of sh_t is too good for him.

109. 110 | January 15, 2013 1:49 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:

Ah, I see the ever vigilant Buzz beat me to it…..

110. Mars
    111 | January 15, 2013 1:50 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

And OFA paid for their trip to DC, I’m sure.

Some of these kids are required to write these letters by their elementary school teachers. Saw this a lot during the Iraq war.

112 | January 15, 2013 1:51 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Just props from rent a kid…

113 | January 15, 2013 1:51 pm

@ Carolina Girl:

Perhaps the NRA and the GOP can stage a presser afterward that features it’s own cast — children and adults SAVED because a civilian had access to a firearm.

As a certified instructor, I guarantee you that I’ve personally done more to protect children from guns than the federal government in its entirety has.

114 | January 15, 2013 1:51 pm

Mars wrote:

song_and_dance_man wrote:

And OFA paid for their trip to DC, I’m sure.

OFA…teachers union…same thing

114. song_and_dance_man
    115 | January 15, 2013 1:52 pm

Carolina Girl wrote:

Good idea. And then show that Prog political ad that has the kids in the classroom exploding

115. citizen_q
    116 | January 15, 2013 1:54 pm

@ MacDuff:
    @ AZfederalist:
    They are amoral political creatures.

Look at their comrade zero shrillary’s behavior towards the families of those who died for their Benghazi bump in the road.

White lab coats for the photo-op physicians when ramming through embalm-a-rationed-care.

One can only wonder where this will all end up.

116. song_and_dance_man
    117 | January 15, 2013 1:55 pm

If we gain the Senate in 14 just maybe this turd can be impeached

117. song_and_dance_man
    118 | January 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Mars wrote:

Could be. And given the nature of the Left they selected only the ones that supports their position.

119 | January 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Urban Liberals are constantly being told by the msm to fear guns and to hate gun owners. Any thing said by the Right is a lie, only the liberal msm is telling the truth…

119. 120 | January 15, 2013 2:03 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

Not likely. I’d say Obama is immune to impeachment. The MFM would just claim it is racism in action. OTOH, if enough Senate Dems are scared of the 2014 election, he jus might wind up having some of his Executive Orders reversed. There’s no way he gets an “Assault Weapons” ban through the House unless Boehner and the Republicans want to emulate the Whigs. I think they like their cushy positions too much to commit Party Suicide like that.

120. 121 | January 15, 2013 2:03 pm

He does it all the time.

121. 123 | January 15, 2013 2:09 pm

I couldn’t agree more, Lobo. I couldn’t agree more.

122. citizen_q
    124 | January 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Maybe the real meat in gun bans will be done at the state level by socialist grabbermint climbers like cuomo and owe-mally.

123. 125 | January 15, 2013 2:12 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

It would not surprise me if that isn’t his biggest fear right now. He’s safe as long as the Democrats hold a majority. Of course, get ready for the RAAAAACIST dance if he’s held accountable.

@ waldensianspirit:

Good lord -- isn’t there a single GROWNUP working over there?

126 | January 15, 2013 2:13 pm

citizen_q wrote:

Very possible.

125. Mars
    127 | January 15, 2013 2:14 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Mars wrote:

Usually they don’t have to worry about that. I remember reading where students were required to make sure the letters supported the “right” position. If not the teacher made them rewrite it or get a failing grade.

126. 128 | January 15, 2013 2:18 pm

@ citizen_q:

I think you are right, but the Supreme COurt has already ruled that the Second Amendment applies to the States. There will be some interesting legal song-and-dance routines to try and square these new restrictive laws with that. We’ll see what the Supreme Court maes of it. You are also going to see pushback in States like Wyoming and Texas. The “State Rights” approach that the Left likes with this can cut both ways.

130 | January 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Of course, the practical result of those rulings has been pretty much zilch.

Know anoyone in Chicago or DC who’s been able to legally purchase a handgun?

128. 131 | January 15, 2013 2:25 pm

IN DC Occasional Reader reported being able to. Chicago not so much. It is becoming a real test of the Court’s authority. If the Court can be ignored as blatantly as these States are ignoring it, it isn’t much use then, is it? It does give Judicial cover for States like Wyoming and Texas, though, when they pass laws further protecting Second Amendment rights.

129. eaglesoars
    132 | January 15, 2013 2:29 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

Here’s a conspiracy:

This is where I live. I used to own a condo directly across the street from THAT mosque. They call this place wahhabi corridor

130. citizen_q
    133 | January 15, 2013 2:30 pm

Agreed,

On the other hand, try and buy a handgun legally in D.C.

Comrade zero has shown the way in disregarding both the constitution and limits of office.

They can pass the laws, and by the time someone has been “injured” by an unconstitutional law in a way that gives them standing and the case works its way through the system, even if the states lose the damage could largely be irreversible. Not to mention fighting the clear ruling as D.C has done in the wake of the Heller decision.

How many gun shops are there in D.C. One maybe two? Dicks sporting goods in MD is already pre-emptively amending their inventory of firearms they sell. I assume the same for ammunition. I heard on Rush’s show, but I don’t know if true and scope that Walmart was suspending ammunition sales. The point being if they pass the laws and destroy the businesses that support firearms what are we left with?

131. eaglesoars
    134 | January 15, 2013 2:30 pm

It is becoming a real test of the Court’s authority.

Ken Salazar who heads up Interior HAS ignored SCOTUS. Explain to me why he hasn’t been frogmarched to prison please.

132. citizen_q
    135 | January 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Guess I am a bit slow in responding.

133. 136 | January 15, 2013 2:35 pm

@ citizen_q:

People have bought handguns in DC since Heller.

There are zero gun shops in DC.

That Wal-Mart ammo thing is BS.

134. yenta-fada
    137 | January 15, 2013 2:35 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

It is becoming a real test of the Court’s authority.

To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

135. yenta-fada
    138 | January 15, 2013 2:36 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

yenta-fada wrote:
    Here’s a conspiracy:

I KNEW I got that reco from somewhere. :-)

136. 139 | January 15, 2013 2:37 pm

@ eaglesoars:

That is a good question. Under Roberts, the Court is losing its Authority. In some ways this could be a good thing. I’ve never been in favor of an imperial Judiciary. OTOH, when real rights are in jeopardy, it is the Court’s place to correct the other branches of the government. If these gun controllers were serious about the Constitution, they’d propose amending it. The Second Amendment deserveds strict scrutiny, and that means most if not all gun control laws should be voided. The Court has tried to avoid that, but there really is no alternative unless they are willing to allow the Court to be flaunted or are willing to dismiss part of the Bill of Rights. I know four Justices would like to do exactly that. That’s the scary thing. People don’t seem to realize that if they can so cavalierly dismiss your Second Amendment rights, they can dismiss any and all of your remaining rights. Once you’ve let them take control of your guns, what, exactly, are you going to do when they take control of your Church? You’d think after Obama’s treatment of the Catholic Church people woudl be asking themselves that question, but Obama got a majority of the Catholic vote.

137. eaglesoars
    140 | January 15, 2013 2:42 pm

but Obama got a majority of the Catholic vote.

which is I want to see priests being jailed. Not because I don’t support the church -- I do -- but people need to see what they’ve done.

138. 141 | January 15, 2013 2:47 pm

@ eaglesoars:

It will probably come to that unless the Church caves. This is a pretty fundamental violation of Separation of Church and State. I wish that it would hurry up and get to the Court, but if the Court strikes it down, what are they oing to do when Obama ignores them? They’ve let Chicago get away with ignoring McDonald.

139. eaglesoars
    142 | January 15, 2013 2:49 pm

It will probably come to that unless the Church caves

won’t happen

143 | January 15, 2013 2:49 pm

New Buzz Ballad up at PJM: “Carry Guns.”

Comments, as always, solicited.

144 | January 15, 2013 2:50 pm

76% of Hispanin Catholics voted for Obama.
    Non Hispanic Catholics favored Romney.
    Apparently Immigration was a divisive issue.

142. citizen_q
    145 | January 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Mike C. wrote:

People have bought handguns in DC since Heller.

Sure, but they make the process as difficult as they can make it. I don’t live in D.C, so I have not paid close attention to the particulars.

Mike C. wrote:

That Wal-Mart ammo thing is BS.

May well be, or might be only in NY?

I looked at my local Walmart’s ammo selection last weekend. It was nealy picked clean. A few boxes of 12 guage birdshot, a couple of boxes of 22-250, a couple of boxes 30-06 @ $45 for a box of 20, several boxes of .22 shorts, and that was about it.

143. eaglesoars
    146 | January 15, 2013 2:57 pm

citizen_q wrote:

might be only in NY?

That makes sense. They just passed one of the most restrictive gun laws this morning.

144. 147 | January 15, 2013 2:58 pm

@ citizen_q:

WalMart has been low in the ammo department for the entire Obama Administration. It has more to do with supply and demand than any corporate policy. People are buying the ammo. I don’t think they are doing it because they are preparing to turn their guns in.

145. eaglesoars
    148 | January 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Anthony Wiener running for mayor of NYC??

YUCK!!

gotta go -- errands

146. 149 | January 15, 2013 3:00 pm

I don’t get ethnic “solidarity”. Apparently to these people it is more important for illegal Mexicans to have welfare than it is for them to have their religious freedom. Why? Beats the hell out of me.

147. 150 | January 15, 2013 3:06 pm

@ citizen_q:

Wal-Mart released a statement saying they have not changed their retail policies and have not stopped ordering ammo. They have the same problem everybody else has right now -- supply not keeping up with demand.

148. citizen_q
    151 | January 15, 2013 3:07 pm

It’s where I would go to pick-up some range ammo.

They usually had good prices on 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP Winchester White Box, when they were in stock. They also would usually have prices on bulk .22LR, Usually picked up my AR ammo at gun shows.

I have not been since in this latest scare started.

149. citizen_q
    152 | January 15, 2013 3:11 pm

@ Mike C.:
    Comrade Zero -- Gun Salesman of the century.

150. 153 | January 15, 2013 3:13 pm

@ citizen_q:

Gun salesman of all time, more like it.

154 | January 15, 2013 3:15 pm

I don’t quite get it either.

152. unclassifiable
    155 | January 15, 2013 3:16 pm

I really think this is Powell’s revenge for being hung out to dry with the whole “WMD in Iraq” reason for the Second Gulf War. Powell was the one who made the presentation at the UN in front of the “entire world”.

156 | January 15, 2013 3:18 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

That and racial solidarity.

154. unclassifiable
    157 | January 15, 2013 3:29 pm

I am sure that there is a “so they sent the black guy to do their dirty work” component to this.

It really does not matter. People take the fall for administration screw ups all the time. It is getting to be a general risk of the job. Of course that is probably another reason we are getting toadies instead of leaders in politics now.

He actually would make a better defense secretary than Hagel (admitting of course that he would be the better of two crummy choices).

155. unclassifiable
    158 | January 15, 2013 3:33 pm

@ citizen_q:

Keep it going liberal Gov’s. More gun owning tax payers moving out of your state into red states.

156. yenta-fada
    159 | January 15, 2013 3:33 pm

unclassifiable wrote:
    That and racial solidarity.

People like Powell get their children to be insiders.

157. 160 | January 15, 2013 3:37 pm

That’s not why Hispanics voted for Democrats. Some did for free stuff others did because hey are convinced Republicans hate them. Heck part of my family who are Conservative and in the past voted Republican hates the GOP now. It’s not the illegal issue which drives this. It’s rhetoric some Republicans make about Hispanics as a whole.

Nominating Rubio who has issues on foreign policy will not be the answer. Infrastructure and outreach is the answer.

158. unclassifiable
    161 | January 15, 2013 3:37 pm

@ waldensianspirit:

Isn’t it great when pompous asses get together and cannibalize each other?

159. 162 | January 15, 2013 3:41 pm

There i sapparently no level of outreach that is sufficient. Just as it is with blacks. Republicans freed the slaves, and they’ve voted Democrat ever since.

160. unclassifiable
    163 | January 15, 2013 3:43 pm

What is that rhetoric?

161. 164 | January 15, 2013 3:52 pm

@ unclassifiable:

Calling Hispanics invaders and or outright genocide.

162. unclassifiable
    165 | January 15, 2013 3:52 pm

@ MacDuff:

Can we possibly bribe one of those younguns to kick him in the nads?

163. 166 | January 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Bush did it and got 44% of the Hispanic vote.

164. unclassifiable
    167 | January 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Forgive me but living in a border state where there is not much difference on either side of the border except that the English is on the bottom of the sign on one side and on the top on the other, I find this a little hard to beleive.

I suppose any group has got its share of dumbasses but if you got a public figure Republican dumbass in mind let’s get it out friend.

165. gizbot7
    168 | January 15, 2013 4:00 pm

According to Powell’s book (which I read eagerly back in the day), he said he didn’t want to run for President because his wife was afraid he would be assassinated. Me thinks that maybe he is up Obama’s butt not just because of his race but that the O took a chance that Powell himself was afraid of doing. As for the rest of his extremely disappointing malarky — I got nothin’.