Some Music: The Edgar Winter Group – Frankenstein

by coldwarrior ( 123 Comments › )
Filed under Music, Open thread at January 19th, 2013 - 7:15 pm

I thought we would revisit some Edgar Winter Group, Frankenstein.

They local radio played this today and I had to see how loud the Harmon Kardon would go.

Loud.

The Edgar Winter Group – Frankenstein (HD) Live 1973 at Old Grey Whistle Test

Enjoy.

Comments

123 Responses to “Some Music: The Edgar Winter Group – Frankenstein”

1. song_and_dance_man
    1 | January 19, 2013 7:19 pm

I have the Whistle Test dvd’s and this one is a fav. Another one is John doing Tiny Dancer all by his lonesome.

ht,tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBS-fGJUVNY

deleted

2. unclassifiable
    2 | January 19, 2013 7:22 pm

It was called Frankenstein because the master tape had over 500 splices in it to capture all of the various tracks, overdubs, phase ins and a number of unique techniques that Edgar used to produce it.

The fact that the song is a concise, coherent work is nothing short of genius.

3 | January 19, 2013 7:23 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

i had no idea! makes sense.

4. song_and_dance_man
    4 | January 19, 2013 7:23 pm

cw

delete that please. it is not the sound from TOGWT.

5 | January 19, 2013 7:24 pm

from wiki:

In live performances of the song, Edgar Winter further pioneered the advancement of the synthesizer as a lead instrument by becoming the first person ever to strap a keyboard instrument around his neck, giving him the on-stage mobility and audience interaction of guitar players. The song topped the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for a week starting in May 1973, and sold over one million copies. It was knocked from the #1 spot by Paul McCartney’s “My Love”. In Canada it fared equally well, reaching #1 on the RPM 100 Top Singles Chart the following month,[1] the same month that saw it peak at #18 in the UK.[2]

The song’s title, coined by the band’s drummer Chuck Ruff, derives from the fact that the original recording of the song was much longer than the final version, as the band would often deviate from the arrangement into less structured jams. The track required numerous edits to shorten it. The end result was pieced together from many different sections of recording tape using a razor blade and splicing tape. Winter frequently refers to the appropriateness of the name also in relation to its “monster-like, lumbering beat”. (One riff was first used by Winter in the song “Hung Up”, on his jazz-oriented first album Entrance. He later tried a variation on it, “Martians” on the Standing on Rock album.)

Winter played many of the instruments on the track, including keyboards, saxophone and timbales. As the release’s only instrumental cut, the song was not initially intended to be on the album, and was only included on a whim as a last-minute addition. It was originally released as the B-side to “Hangin’ Around”, but the two were soon reversed by the label when disc jockeys nationwide in the USA as well as in the Canada were inundated with phone calls and realized this was the hit. The song features a “double” drum solo, with Ruff on drums and Winter on percussion. In fact, the working title of the song was “The Double Drum Solo”.[3] The single was one of the few No. 1 chart records to include an extended passage featuring the ARP 2600 synthesizer.

The song was actually performed three years previously when Edgar was playing with his older brother Johnny Winter at the Royal Albert Hall in 1970. This rare recording was recently released as one of several live bonus tracks included in the two disc Deluxe Edition CD of Johnny Winter’s Second Winter. Rolling Stone lists it as one of the top 25 best rock instrumentals.[4]

6. Dolphin
    6 | January 19, 2013 7:25 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    We have a VHF tape -- “To Russia…with Elton” about the same time as your video. Great concert. Love me some Elton John!

7 | January 19, 2013 7:26 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

oh…ok.

i was gonna comment that that is not my fave elton song; not a huge elton fan but i do recognize the brilliant talent he has.

the mission’ is.

8. song_and_dance_man
    8 | January 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Somebody dubbed in the album version over the vid of the live performance.

9 | January 19, 2013 7:29 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

Somebody dubbed in the album version over the vid of the live performance.

now that just aint right!

10 | January 19, 2013 7:32 pm

RICK DERRINGER -- Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo (1973)

11. song_and_dance_man
    11 | January 19, 2013 7:32 pm

The first time I saw the Edgar Winter Group live was on a TV program called In Concert. Rick Derringer was awesome. His performance was an early form of what Angus Young would eventually do. Non stop rocking with a maniacal type of performance. Of course this was stuff from the early 70′s. And of course Edgar playing everything.

12 | January 19, 2013 7:33 pm

saw Edgar and Rick Derringer do this song…special guest?…Johnny Winter…Fountain St Church, Grand Rapids MI

13. Dolphin
    13 | January 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Made Ricotta Meatballs with marinara sauce for dinner. These are fabulous! I used garlic and herb bread crumbs (vs. plain) and used Newman’s marinara sauce.

14 | January 19, 2013 7:41 pm

frankenstein charted, i was 4 i think…

15. brookly red
    15 | January 19, 2013 7:42 pm

Dolphin wrote:

bring on the food thread!

16. Dolphin
    16 | January 19, 2013 7:43 pm

@ brookly red:
    Music and food Saturday night! Can’t get much better than that. ;)

17. song_and_dance_man
    17 | January 19, 2013 7:48 pm

I heard this rendition of where the name Old Grey Whistle Test (which is a really odd name—hey British;obscure) came from and after reading the Wiki version it matches.

…the programme[sic-heh] derived its name from a Tin Pan Alley phrase from years before. When they got the first pressing of a record they would play it to people they called the old greys—doormen in grey suits. The songs they could remember and whistle, having heard it just once or twice, had passed the old grey whistle test.

18. rain of lead
    18 | January 19, 2013 7:56 pm

momcat,the young lady, the niece and myself are chowing down on pappa murphys pizza

19. song_and_dance_man
    19 | January 19, 2013 7:57 pm

@ Dolphin:

Sounds like it tastes great. Tonight it’s quick non cuisine. But last night I fell onto a fav. Tuna Salad Burritos.

20. rain of lead
    20 | January 19, 2013 7:58 pm

momcats song

21. song_and_dance_man
    21 | January 19, 2013 7:59 pm

frankenstein charted, i was 4 i think…

Sophomore year of HS for me. I think. The weed hazed the memories of those days.

22. unclassifiable
    22 | January 19, 2013 7:59 pm

I have earworms.

Here’s one I had for a while a long time ago (warning crappy live video but it at least gives you the sense (or lack there of) of what it was like live…

23 | January 19, 2013 8:09 pm

@ unclassifiable:
    techno elevator music…you really dig that shit?

24. rain of lead
    24 | January 19, 2013 8:10 pm

lets get logical

25. unclassifiable
    25 | January 19, 2013 8:11 pm

This one (a personal earworm) is a little more “accessible”:

26. song_and_dance_man
    26 | January 19, 2013 8:11 pm

27 | January 19, 2013 8:11 pm

loves me some kraftwerk

28. unclassifiable
    28 | January 19, 2013 8:15 pm

@ heysoos:

Earworms have nothing to do with digging. It’s stuff that get stuck in your head.

Dude, I have got a little of everything in my various collections.

Sex Pistols

Berlin Philharmonic

Portishead

Toot and the Myatals

Amboy Dukes

On and on…

29 | January 19, 2013 8:17 pm

dude, you have no clue…you are a pop zombie…grow up and find some Freddie King

30. song_and_dance_man
    30 | January 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Here is something really obscure to those who haven’t heard of these guys.

Beaver and Krause.

31 | January 19, 2013 8:22 pm

heysoos wrote:

dude, you have no clue…you are a pop zombie…grow up and find some Freddie King

how rude.

32 | January 19, 2013 8:24 pm

all in fun…at least I thought so…music is like sports

33. 33 | January 19, 2013 8:24 pm

CW-- There’s an OOT in the queue, so reschedule it if you want. Set up for 2200 est.

34 | January 19, 2013 8:24 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    now that was pretty cool

35. song_and_dance_man
    35 | January 19, 2013 8:24 pm

BTW that Montrose playing the ace on that song.

36. unclassifiable
    36 | January 19, 2013 8:27 pm

@ heysoos:

You gonna have an argument about…

…music.

3 things you don’t argue about:

1) Choice of significant other
    2) Choice of ingestibles
    3) Choice of entertainment

But since you are wondering:

37. song_and_dance_man
    37 | January 19, 2013 8:28 pm

@ heysoos:
    These are the guys that promoted Moog’s invention to the rock world.

38 | January 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Bunk X wrote:

it can run at 2200, that’s cool.

39 | January 19, 2013 8:29 pm

heysoos wrote:

all in fun…at least I thought so…music is like sports

i missed the intonation in the text. maybe a smiley at the end helps.

40 | January 19, 2013 8:31 pm

@ unclassifiable:
    preach it bro…Ive posted that a few times myself, and I’m a huge fan…thanks

41 | January 19, 2013 8:33 pm

heysoos wrote:
    all in fun…at least I thought so…music is like sports

i missed the intonation in the text. maybe a smiley at the end helps.

I don’t have any smlieys…I always wondered where they came from…I mean no harm bro, jus riffin

42. Mars
    42 | January 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Umm guys, I’m a little confused. I dropped a new thread into pending and it already posted. This is the first time it happened. Is my thread the next one or did something go wacky?

43. brookly red
    43 | January 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Mars wrote:

premature posting? oh my…

44 | January 19, 2013 8:35 pm

a personal Taj favorite of mine…I’ve seen him numerous time and consider him to be close to legendary
    Queen Bee

45 | January 19, 2013 8:37 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

@ heysoos:
    These are the guys that promoted Moog’s invention to the rock world.

yeah, the original Moog was a mind bender…few people could ‘play’ it was so far advanced…and fussy

46. song_and_dance_man
    46 | January 19, 2013 8:39 pm

Another obscure artist to most, working the gears of the music industry as a producer who made his own album after many years in the biz.

47. unclassifiable
    47 | January 19, 2013 8:42 pm

@ brookly red:
    @ Mars:

OK did someone push the big red button?

48 | January 19, 2013 8:43 pm

brookly red wrote:

Mars wrote:

premature posting? oh my…

they make meds for that

49. Mars
    49 | January 19, 2013 8:45 pm

brookly red wrote:

Mars wrote:

premature posting? oh my…

Heard it starts at my age.

@ unclassifiable:
    I don’t know what the heck happened.

It’s not showing up on the blogmocracy homepage so maybe it is just due to my RSS reader.

50 | January 19, 2013 8:45 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    cool, has a Motown sound… rock and roll coronet!

51. unclassifiable
    52 | January 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Here is a personal favorite of mine:

I am going to stop for a while with the Taj. Don’t want to wear it out. I am going selunking for some really old stuff. BBIW

53 | January 19, 2013 8:47 pm

@ Mars:

fixed

53. song_and_dance_man
    54 | January 19, 2013 8:47 pm

brookly red wrote:

premature posting? oh my…

Not that Enzyting is it?

54. song_and_dance_man
    55 | January 19, 2013 8:49 pm

heysoos wrote:

One had to be almost an electrical engineer or really lucky.

55. Mars
    56 | January 19, 2013 8:49 pm

TY

57 | January 19, 2013 8:50 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

Here is a personal favorite of mine:

that’s some ancient stuff…Taj is all about the roots, the beginning…he’s very special

57. unclassifiable
    58 | January 19, 2013 8:52 pm

Found it!

This is for you Eric Clapton fans:

59 | January 19, 2013 8:52 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

heysoos wrote:
    One had to be almost an electrical engineer or really lucky.

I remember the early Moody Blues and asking, what is that?…where did that come from?…not the Stones for sure

59. song_and_dance_man
    60 | January 19, 2013 8:56 pm

If you get a chance to see the Zep concert from 2008 or was it 07, they finally give credit to the roots of many of their early songs.

61 | January 19, 2013 8:56 pm

@ unclassifiable:
    I’ve lectured so much about the Delta blues, I think people get tired of me…that song has been recorded probably 300 times..if a song were a prophet, ‘Crossroads’ would walk on water, eh?

61. song_and_dance_man
    62 | January 19, 2013 8:59 pm

@ unclassifiable:
    This is for Aerosmith fans.

63 | January 19, 2013 9:02 pm

there is a whole netherworld of blues and jump regarding sex…thousands of old recordings, some so brazen they blow you away even now

63. song_and_dance_man
    64 | January 19, 2013 9:06 pm

I like the old blues, but being a boomer I really like what came out of Motown, Staxx and Chess.

64. Mars
    65 | January 19, 2013 9:08 pm

I have to find a way to summarize this and do it as a post. This is an incredible article and hits on a lot of things most americans aren’t even aware of.

65. unclassifiable
    66 | January 19, 2013 9:08 pm

@ heysoos:

I think every musician has been at the Crossroads at some point.

My brother who is a Jazz guitarist has a “Jazz damn near killed me.” t-shirt.

66. cigarguymt
    67 | January 19, 2013 9:13 pm

I believe all of blogmocracy should like the lyrics and message of this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4opebNhQVc

68 | January 19, 2013 9:15 pm

song_and_dance_man wrote:

same with me..I grew up with all that stuff…a whole sub group are the one hit wonders…maybe more hits but dinos let in the past…Del Shannon types…alot right there that is very good stuff

68. Mars
    69 | January 19, 2013 9:16 pm

69. cigarguymt
    70 | January 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks Mars

70. Mars
    71 | January 19, 2013 9:17 pm

cigarguymt wrote:

Fixed.

72 | January 19, 2013 9:19 pm

@ unclassifiable:
    I’ve traveled all down through the Delta, all the famous places…it’s spooky…the land, the vibe…to this day, very much of that area is still living in the fifties

73 | January 19, 2013 9:21 pm

does anybody remember this stuff?…it’s part of the fabric of American music and I don’t discount it….

73. song_and_dance_man
    74 | January 19, 2013 9:31 pm

@ heysoos:
    Oh yeah I remember that and haven’t heard that since my last Bronto burger.

How about this?

74. song_and_dance_man
    75 | January 19, 2013 9:35 pm

76 | January 19, 2013 9:36 pm

mahvelous…the brats are in bed. the wife is in bed (has to work early tomorrow) and i just meandered down to the workshop/bar. got some wood to stain and some tunes to listen to posted above.

76. unclassifiable
    77 | January 19, 2013 9:38 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

That was childhood music for me.

Great selection IMHO.

78 | January 19, 2013 9:42 pm

after that taj i need some jowl bacon and greens.

79 | January 19, 2013 9:45 pm

I practically worship the guy, and the company he keeps!…whoa

79. song_and_dance_man
    80 | January 19, 2013 9:46 pm

80. song_and_dance_man
    81 | January 19, 2013 9:47 pm

81. unclassifiable
    82 | January 19, 2013 9:53 pm

OK. I’m gonna go in a little different direction with this next one. So if you are on the happy song music please by all means skip this.

There are very few songs that actually put me in another man’s shoes. This is one of them and it sort of shows that the tenents of “The Blues” don’t have to be “The Blues”:

82. brookly red
    83 | January 19, 2013 9:57 pm

this is relevant only cause it relates to the arts & blues…

PARK CITY, Utah (AP) — Alexandra Pelosi was beaming: She had just made her Sundance Film Festival debut with the HBO documentary “Fall from Grace,” about former New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey

“I’m drawn to broken men -- Why is that?” Pelosi pondered at a brunch Friday morning to celebrate the documentary. “I don’t know. I’m really drawn to the recovering politician.

/If McGreevey needs a guitar player to back up his blues I can suggest one…

83. brookly red
    84 | January 19, 2013 9:59 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

Lou… the blues Northern style.

85 | January 19, 2013 10:00 pm

drug rock is endless…maybe the best dope song ever…

85. song_and_dance_man
    86 | January 19, 2013 10:01 pm

@ heysoos:
    Bonnie seems to be playing some kinda custom blue Dobro or one made like the old ones, sorta. Cool.

86. unclassifiable
    87 | January 19, 2013 10:03 pm

@ brookly red:

Just the tone of the song is enough to convince you not to try it.

87. brookly red
    88 | January 19, 2013 10:06 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

@ brookly red:

Just the tone of the song is enough to convince you not to try it.

heh. well hate to say but over the last 4 yrs it has made a biiiig come back. coincidence?

89 | January 19, 2013 10:06 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    I’ve seen her several times…she’s deep into her guitars…plays a couple with , trades off…but when she straps on her old beat up Strat, hang onto your seats…

89. song_and_dance_man
    90 | January 19, 2013 10:07 pm

@ unclassifiable:

Lou Reed pulling off a two chord song.

90. song_and_dance_man
    91 | January 19, 2013 10:09 pm

heysoos wrote:

drug rock is endless…maybe the best dope song ever…

How about this one.

92 | January 19, 2013 10:10 pm

heysoos wrote:

drug rock is endless…maybe the best dope song ever…

Here’s a pretty serious dope song. Some great slide work by Mick Taylor.

92. 93 | January 19, 2013 10:10 pm

@ Mars:
    Check the time/date. I’ve preposted by accident occasionally.

93. 94 | January 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Crawling through the thread…

94. unclassifiable
    95 | January 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Now for something completly different.

THE THE THE weirdest concert I ever went to was these guys in SF on New Years 1980 (I think). I do not know what I actually saw. Well I saw it. I heard it. But I still cannot quite describe it. Yoko Ono has nothing on these folks:

96 | January 19, 2013 10:14 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    a real rock and roll classic…those MI boyz can play, eh?

97 | January 19, 2013 10:15 pm

@ huckfunn:
    yeah, I have every lick memmorised…I’m a serious Stones head

97. 98 | January 19, 2013 10:16 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    That song was my introduction to the roots of blues. I found out that my favorite r&r songs were covers, often without attribution, and I also found that I liked the originals better. Willie Dixon was a God.

98. brookly red
    99 | January 19, 2013 10:17 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

@ brookly red:

Just the tone of the song is enough to convince you not to try it.

I am seeing a lot of people on a nod in the trains and on the street, black & white, all over 40. 2 or 3 years with out a job can do that to you.

99. song_and_dance_man
    100 | January 19, 2013 10:17 pm

@ heysoos:
    She is so hot. Best rock slide since Rory. And what do you know, this is on topic coming from the Old Grey Whistle Test.

100. unclassifiable
    101 | January 19, 2013 10:17 pm

@ brookly red:

Obamacare in practice or how I coped with the collapse of the United States by Mr. Weak Will.

102 | January 19, 2013 10:18 pm

@ heysoos:
    My favorite Little Feat tune. I saw them at SMU a year or 2 before Lowell George died.

102. 103 | January 19, 2013 10:19 pm

@ heysoos:
    Eubie Blake said that he first heard the term “Rock And Roll” in the late 1800s cat houses. It was a piano playing style designed to keep the johns moving through the services.

104 | January 19, 2013 10:22 pm

@ Bunk X:
    Dixon was a very rare talent, a tough guy…he alone willed those old guys to play…he forced the ‘Chicago blues’ on them and they responded…Willy Dixon is huge

105 | January 19, 2013 10:23 pm

@ huckfunn:
    I’ve seen Little Feat no less than 200 times…scary huh?

106 | January 19, 2013 10:24 pm

wow! the residents!

106. 107 | January 19, 2013 10:26 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    What’s better than 3-chord Rock&Roll? :D

107. brookly red
    108 | January 19, 2013 10:27 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

@ brookly red:

for real. once upon a time it was parents worried their kids were doing dope… nowadays it’s kids watching their parents nod out. hope & change.

109 | January 19, 2013 10:28 pm

the oot is up.

this one is getting slow. must be all the opiates

110 | January 19, 2013 10:29 pm

heysoos wrote:

@ huckfunn:
    I’ve seen Little Feat no less than 200 times…scary huh?

Indeed! If you like yer rock ‘n roll rough & raw, here’s Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer… live.

111 | January 19, 2013 10:29 pm

@ Bunk X:
    that and $1 drinks…rock on bro

111. unclassifiable
    112 | January 19, 2013 10:29 pm

@ Bunk X:

Well this is a small clip but um Marcia Ball, Clint Eastwood, and Red Beans:

113 | January 19, 2013 10:30 pm

dopiates…music heads

113. 114 | January 19, 2013 10:30 pm

@ heysoos:
    He was also a stutterer. There are very few recordings where he sang.

114. song_and_dance_man
    115 | January 19, 2013 10:30 pm

@ Bunk X:

I mentioned up above that Zep in their reunion concert finally gave credit to where many of their songs came from. I had no idea In My Time Of Dying was originally recorded in 1927 by Blind Willie Johnson.

116 | January 19, 2013 10:32 pm

the oot is up.

this one is getting slow. must be all the opiates

The aromatic cocktails are making my eyes burn.

116. 117 | January 19, 2013 10:32 pm

UPSTAIRS PARTY

118 | January 19, 2013 10:32 pm

@ huckfunn:
    smash mouth Texas blues..I’m like a sponge amogo

119 | January 19, 2013 10:34 pm

@ Bunk X:
    I’ve read that…vocals were not his thing

120 | January 19, 2013 10:35 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:
    always check the books…all the great bands covered their fathers

120. song_and_dance_man
    121 | January 19, 2013 10:35 pm

I’m going upstairs to slow the next thread down.

122 | January 19, 2013 10:38 pm

huckfunn wrote:

the oot is up.
    this one is getting slow. must be all the opiates

The aromatic cocktails are making my eyes burn.

that’s the stain and lacquer i am using on these trim prices…

122. unclassifiable
    123 | January 19, 2013 11:15 pm

@ song_and_dance_man:

Damn S&D were in the back seat of the Ford station wagon when mom was taking all the neighborhood kids to school back in the day.