Bye-bye Londonistan

by Speranza ( 124 Comments › )
Filed under Anti-semitism, Israel, Palestinians, UK at January 22nd, 2013 - 2:00 pm
An interesting encounter in today’s Londonistan.  I cannot say that I am surprised by the hostility and lack of civility she encountered.
by Caroline Glick

In an interview with Haaretz in November 2010, British novelist Martin Amis said the following about discussions of Israel in his motherland:

I live in a mildly anti-Semitic country, and Europe is mildly anti-Semitic, and they hold Israel to a higher moral standard than its neighbors. If you bring up Israel in a public meeting in England, the whole atmosphere changes. The standard left-wing person never feels more comfortable than when attacking Israel. Because they are the only foreigners you can attack. Everyone else is protected by having dark skin, or colonial history, or something. But you can attack Israel. And the atmosphere becomes very unpleasant. It is traditional, snobbish, British anti-Semitism combined with present-day circumstances.

After participating last week in a debate in London about Israeli communities beyond the 1949 armistice lines organized by the self-consciously pretentious Intelligence Squared debating society, I can now say from personal experience that Amis is correct. The public atmosphere in England regarding Israel is ugly and violent.

The resolution we debated read: “Israel is destroying itself with its settlement policy. If settlement expansion continues Israel will have no future.”

[.......]

We debated Daniel Levy, one of the founders of J-Street and the drafter of the Geneva Initiative, and the son of Lord Michael Levy, one of Tony Blair’s biggest fundraisers; and William Sieghart, a British philanthropist who runs a non-profit that among other things, champions Hamas. Levy has publicly stated that Israel’s creation was immoral. And Sieghart has a past record of saying that Israel’s delegitimization would be a salutary proces and calling for a complete cultural boycott of Israel while lauding Hamas.

We lost overwhelmingly. I think the final vote tally was something like 500 for the resolution and 100 against it.

A couple of impressions I took away from the experience: First, I can say without hesitation that I hope never to return to Britain. I actually don’t see any point. Jews are targeted by massive anti-Semitism of both the social and physical varieties. Why would anyone Jewish want to live there?

As to visiting as an Israeli, again, I just don’t see the point. The discourse is owned by anti-Israel voices. They don’t make arguments to spur thought, but to end it, by appealing to people’s passions.

For instance, in one particularly ugly segment, Levy made the scurrilous accusation that Israel systematically steals land from the Palestinians. Both Dayan and I demanded that he provide just one example of his charge. And the audience raged against us for our temerity at insisting that he provide substantiation for his baseless allegation.  [.......]

At another point, I was asked how I defend the Nazi state of Israel. When I responded by among other things giving the Nazi pedigree of the Palestinian nationalist movement founded by Nazi agent Haj Amin el Husseini and currently led by Holocaust denier Mahmoud Abbas, the crowd angrily shouted me down.

I want to note that the audience was made up of upper crust, wealthy British people, not unwashed rabble rousers. And yet they behaved in many respects like a mob when presented with pro-Israel positions.

I honestly don’t know whether there are policy implications that arise from my experience in London last week. I have for a long time been of the opinion that Israel shouldn’t bother to try to win over Europe because the Europeans have multiple reasons for always being anti-Israel and none of them have anything to do with anything that Israel does. As I discuss in my book, these reasons include anti-Semitism, anti-Americanism, addiction to Arab oil, and growing Muslim populations in Europe.

I was prepared to conduct a civilized debate based on facts and reasoned argumentation. I expected it to be a difficult experience. I was not expecting to be greeted by a well-dressed mob. My pessimism about Europeans’ capacity to avail themselves to reasoned, fact-based argumentation about Israel has only deepened from the experience.

[......]

While their work is worthwhile, there is no future for Jews in England.

Read the rest – Bye-bye London

Tags: ,

Comments

124 Responses to “Bye-bye Londonistan”

1 | January 22, 2013 2:30 pm

I can well believe that.

2 | January 22, 2013 2:31 pm

While their work is worthwhile, there is no future for Jews in England.

I hope that is not true.

3 | January 22, 2013 2:31 pm

I am surprised it was only 5 against 1.

4 | January 22, 2013 2:34 pm

Good points. Israel hatred has less to do with anything Israel does or is alleged to have done but based on a number of factors, most of which are culturally inbred.

5 | January 22, 2013 2:36 pm

She mentions at the beginning of the column Martin Amis. I highly recommend Amis’s book “Koba the dread: Laughter and the twenty million“. “Koba” being one of Stalin’s underground names.

6. 6 | January 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Yer mumbling to yerself. Kinda weird. :|

7 | January 22, 2013 2:37 pm

That whole “J Street” crowd with their support for Chuck Hagel should disqualify them from ever being referred to as a “pro Israel organization”.

8 | January 22, 2013 2:39 pm

MacDuff wrote:

@ Speranza:
    Yer mumbling to yerself. Kinda weird.

Someone has to get the ball rolling and I discovered that if I keep posting comments eventually people will show up. It is a trick of the trade I have learned. Sometimes on threads that I post that are well over 100 comments the first 10-15 are mine.

9. eaglesoars
    9 | January 22, 2013 2:56 pm

That was your first mistake. Here was your first clue that you apparently missed.

the self-consciously pretentious Intelligence Squared debating society

All self-consciously pretentious intellectuals are anti-Israel, anti-Semetic. It’s a requirement for belonging to The Group. Your audience was by definition a self-selected group of Jew-haters.

In other news:

Shock Claim: Obama Only Wants Military Leaders Who ‘Will Fire on U.S. Citizens’

I have just been informed by a former senior military leader that Obama is using a new “litmus test” in determining who will stay and who must go in his military leaders. Get ready to explode folks. “The new litmus test of leadership in the military is if they will fire on US citizens or not.” Those who will not are being removed.

So, who is the source?

Garrow replied: “The man who told me this is one of America’s foremost military heroes.”

Somehow I find this entirely believable.

10. 10 | January 22, 2013 3:01 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Obama probably wants a Civil War. That would give him the pretext to scrap theConstitution entirely. Obama is the most dangerous man to the Republic ever to exist. He makes Jefferson Davis look like a piker.

11 | January 22, 2013 3:04 pm

@ eaglesoars:

which also puts his own skin at extreme risk, as I se it

12. 12 | January 22, 2013 3:05 pm

Just razzin’ ya. ;)

13. 13 | January 22, 2013 3:10 pm

I agree with @ eaglesoars in that the ensconced intelligentsia does tend to far more anti-Semitic than people at-large, but this seems to be a phenomenon that’s seriously on the rise throughout Europe.

I wonder how much the slow-motion economic implosion is exacerbating the already present European strain of Jew hatred? They do have some history of this type of behavior in dire economic times, don’t they? Old habits die hard.

14 | January 22, 2013 3:12 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I have dealt with a sociopath & Obama has all of the signs.
    He only wants what is best for him.

15 | January 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Hee, hee:-) I’ve seen you do it

16. 16 | January 22, 2013 3:16 pm

@ MacDuff:

From what I read the Euro Intelligentsia is turning anti-Jew, but the people are becoming Islamic haters. So there’s a divergence.

17. 17 | January 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Obama probably wants a Civil War.

He thinks he has the numbers and would be supported by NATO and the Muslim Brotherhood block.

18 | January 22, 2013 3:17 pm

@ eaglesoars:

He does have dictatorial tendencies doesn’t he?

19 | January 22, 2013 3:18 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Just razzin’ ya.

It’s ok. After 3 years in this business I have learned a few tricks of the trade. Nobody wants to comment on a dead thread.

20. eaglesoars
    20 | January 22, 2013 3:18 pm

MacDuff wrote:

In Europe (20th cent.) the Jews were culturally associated with socialism -- and in many cases that was true. Being on the side of a political philosophy that wanted to redistribute wealth was not always a safe place to be.

Coming from the other side of the political spectrum, many Jews WERE wealthy. The Rothchilds developed their banking wealth because of the Christian mandate against ursury. Monarchs had to feed their military somehow, so they borrowed money from the Jews -- and the Jews got rich.

Not much of it had to do with whatever economic conditions pertained at the time. What you’re seeing now is a result of fading memories.

21 | January 22, 2013 3:19 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Old habits die hard.

Bingo! It is always lurking under the surface ready like a pustule to reemerge.

22. 22 | January 22, 2013 3:19 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Shock Claim: Obama Only Wants Military Leaders Who ‘Will Fire on U.S. Citizens’

Somehow I find this entirely believable.

This is horrifying and I struggle to believe it’s even possible. If this is true, whomever has this information has a moral obligation to make it public immediately.

23 | January 22, 2013 3:19 pm

waldensianspirit wrote:

Hee, hee:-) I’ve seen you do it

Don’t laugh, it works.

24. eaglesoars
    24 | January 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Speranza wrote:

Nobody wants to comment on a dead thread.

Whaddya mean? Lily and I are old hands at it!

25 | January 22, 2013 3:21 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

the self-consciously pretentious Intelligence Squared debating society
    In other news:
    Shock Claim: Obama Only Wants Military Leaders Who ‘Will Fire on U.S. Citizens’
    So, who is the source?

Somehow I find this entirely believable.

Like his BFF, Recep Tayyip Erdogan he wants to purge the military.

26 | January 22, 2013 3:23 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Speranza wrote:
    Nobody wants to comment on a dead thread.
    Whaddya mean? Lily and I are old hands at it!

That’s an example of two people having a conversation.

27. unclassifiable
    27 | January 22, 2013 3:24 pm

No no.

You and Lily KILL the threads and then I comment on them.

Sort of like thread forensics.

28. eaglesoars
    28 | January 22, 2013 3:27 pm

MacDuff wrote:

This is horrifying and I struggle to believe it’s even possible

Really? The so-called ‘civilian army’ that would be as great a force as our military? The naked drive to disarm us? All the sherrifs in how many states saying they will not enforce gun-grabbing laws?

HOMELAND SECURITY BUYING HOW MANY ROUNDS OF AMMO??

What were you expecting from an admin that arms Al Queda and sets up its own amassador for murder?

29. unclassifiable
    29 | January 22, 2013 3:28 pm

@ MacDuff:

If the guy is a real hero he would do that.

Of course I am asking him to foresake everything he has worked for, subject himself to an avalanche of ridicule, ruin his reputation, and possibly put his and his family’s life in danger.

It’s asking a lot.

30. eaglesoars
    30 | January 22, 2013 3:29 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

You and Lily KILL the threads and then I comment on them.

Well, Lily and I like to talk to each other. The rest of you people can be SUCH a distraction………………

31. unclassifiable
    31 | January 22, 2013 3:30 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Well I am really talking to myself most of the time.

It’s OK. I get the answers I want.

It’s just that the arguments can be hell.

32. 32 | January 22, 2013 3:32 pm

@ eaglesoars:

This is straight out of the Fascist/3rd World Liberation play book. The article I posted on this morning which you gave me is a piece of the puzzle.

33. eaglesoars
    33 | January 22, 2013 3:33 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Forgot one.

An admin that assassinates a U.S. citizen.

34. eaglesoars
    34 | January 22, 2013 3:34 pm

This is straight out of the Fascist/3rd World Liberation play book

Ah, that reminds me. Wasn’t there a gun-grabber thing up for a vote at the UN? Anyone know how ‘we’ voted?

35. eaglesoars
    35 | January 22, 2013 3:35 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

It’s just that the arguments can be hell.

36 | January 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Russia bugging out of Syria…a good sign something is about to happen

37. 37 | January 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Speranza wrote:

Bingo! It is always lurking under the surface ready like a pustule to reemerge.

Absolutely true. Case in point from this afternoon -

These this story over at Breitbart: GALLUP: ONLY 39 PERCENT HAVE POSITIVE VIEW OF AMERICA

Being the smart-ass I am, I comment:

Lovely, now we can add “self loathing” and chronic depression to our growing list of problems.

Maybe the whole damned country can get on TV with Dr. Phil.

Some a-hole responds:

..ummmm…the tribe is always self-loathing…part of their DNA…

I respond:

Your crude anti-Semitic crack is inapplicable to the subject, not to mention wildly inappropriate and ignorant.

Someone else chimes in as a response to the original a-hole:

You don’t like Jews? You must not be a true conservative then.

The story, nor my remark had nothing to do with Israel or Jews, yet the phrase “self loathing” attracts ‘em like flies on a dog turd on a summer day.

Yeah, there a lot of that particular brand of crazy always simmering just below the surface.

38. 38 | January 22, 2013 3:40 pm

@ heysoos:

I just saw that. Think Obama’s going to send us in to win another war for al Qaeda? After all, Libya worked out so well for him… :roll:

39 | January 22, 2013 3:41 pm

If the guy is a real hero he would do that.

It’s asking a lot.

Yes, the guy would be treated like a nut by the Dems & the MSM.
    Of course if he ever listened to Camptown Races or saw Gone
    With the Wind, they would scream “racist!’
    There goes the pension & reputation.
    He would have to name names.
    Itv will take a strong guy & a patriot

40. eaglesoars
    40 | January 22, 2013 3:46 pm

The Society of St. Pius X and Antisemitism

The Catholic Herald UK reports that Bishop Fellay, superior general of the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX), the largest group of “Traditional Catholics,” hosted a conference in Canada on December 12, 2012. The paper observed:

The head of the traditionalist Society of St Pius X has called Jewish people “enemies of the Church”, saying Jewish leaders’ support of the Second Vatican Council “shows that Vatican II is their thing, not the Church’s”.

Bishop Bernard Fellay, the society’s superior general, said those most opposed to Rome granting canonical recognition to the SSPX have been “the enemies of the Church: the Jews, the Masons, the modernists”.

He said these people, “who are outside of the Church, who over centuries have been enemies of the Church”, urged the Vatican to compel the SSPX to accept Vatican II

41. 41 | January 22, 2013 3:48 pm

heysoos wrote:

Russia bugging out of Syria…a good sign something is about to happen

Al-Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood is about to seize more territory for the Caliphate.

42 | January 22, 2013 3:49 pm

@ heysoos:

I read where Assad was living on a boat, ready to split…be a shame if got a hole in it and disappears

43. AZfederalist
    43 | January 22, 2013 3:50 pm

In other news:

Shock Claim: Obama Only Wants Military Leaders Who ‘Will Fire on U.S. Citizens’

@ eaglesoars:

The thing is, it is not the high ranking officers who will be firing on US civilians, it will be the officers and enlisted under their command. The question is whether those troops, in violation of posse comitas will engage US citizens in the US.

44. 44 | January 22, 2013 3:50 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I haven’t heard anything on it.

45 | January 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Why Bibi is not intimidated by Obama.

46 | January 22, 2013 3:51 pm

The Osprey wrote:

Why Bibi is not intimidated by Obama.

Obama is a paper tiger.

47. 47 | January 22, 2013 3:53 pm

@ Speranza:

I wish he was a paper tiger. Ask McCain, Romney and Boehner if Obama is a paper tiger. He’s one of the most ruthless politicians I have ever seen. Then again, beating up Republicans is like Ray Lewis beating up a paraplegic. So I take it back!

48 | January 22, 2013 3:53 pm

MacDuff wrote:

I respond:

Well done!

49. eaglesoars
    49 | January 22, 2013 3:54 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

Um………….Nope

@ eaglesoars:

I haven’t heard anything on it.

lemme see what I can find

50 | January 22, 2013 3:54 pm

@ Speranza:

McCain was a wimp. Stand up to this guy and he sulks and crawls under Chris Matthews skirt.

51. eaglesoars
    51 | January 22, 2013 3:54 pm

Bibi just won reelection

52 | January 22, 2013 3:57 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Bibi just won reelection

a good thing…now he can be more flexible with BO

53. 53 | January 22, 2013 3:57 pm

@ Speranza:

The sad part is the national GOP leadership is scared of Obama.

54 | January 22, 2013 3:58 pm

@ Speranza:
    The sad part is the national GOP leadership is scared of Obama.

but so are those five donk Senators up for re-election

55. eaglesoars
    55 | January 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Obama To Sign Anti-Gun U.N. Treaty?

This is from last July. I can’t find anything that shows it came up for a vote.

56 | January 22, 2013 4:01 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Obama To Sign Anti-Gun U.N. Treaty?
    This is from last July. I can’t find anything that shows it came up for a vote.

I personally don’t give a shit anymore what BO does…he can fuck off, he is my natural enemy

57. 57 | January 22, 2013 4:02 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I don’t think it went anywhere.

58. eaglesoars
    58 | January 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Anybody heard from coldwarrior? Western PA is getting hammered w/snow (and it’s colder than a witch’s tit here in NoVA)

gotta get to work in the kitchen

Back later.

59. 59 | January 22, 2013 4:05 pm

@ eaglesoars:

That’s an interesting read and, as a Catholic, more than a little chilling and embarrassing. I’d not heard of the “Society of St. Pius X”, but I’m glad this sort of thing is seeing the light of day and I would hope it will be disinfected forthwith (though nothing really happens “forthwith” in The Church). This sort of thing is intolerable and represents neither me or millions of others like me.

The closing was exquisite:

Instead of paying this price, the mind simply changes reality; the Holocaust is attenuated. Members object that their particular chapel or pastor is only focused on the Faith and never speaks of “the Jewish question.” Others argue that they only go to the SSPX for the Latin Mass, for the beautiful ceremonies, and to avoid what they dislike about the “mainstream Church.”

But this compartmentalizing comes at an even higher price. Like a sort of “Horcrux,” it splits the very mind so members must live in two realities: the group’s tolerance of antisemitism and the story members tell themselves about how “good” they are.

Nobody joins a cult. Most people who become entangled in such groups do so for good reasons; change the world, serve God more authentically, etc. There comes a moment when the mind recognizes that this primary goal serves as the justification of the unjustifiable. By this time, the perceived benefits outweigh the “remote” evil. Members enjoy the “luxury” of social, spiritual, economic, and emotional fulfillment without taking responsibility for the consequences of objectifying Jewish people.

The Nazi movement functioned exactly like a cult, twisting minds into a dualism, an ability to compartmentalize evil for the sake of self. The pub owner told himself Hitler was never going to actually influence anybody so no harm could come from selling beer to the Nazis. The good housewife knew no harm would come of her Jewish neighbors from having to register, so she celebrated her husband’s new job with the Party and enjoyed the extra food on her table. The Holocaust was only the final consequence of rationalization and blind fidelity to a cultic group.

It is first in the mind and heart that one becomes a bystander; that the integrity of the soul is bargained for personal gain. Long before antisemitism actually lays a hand on our neighbor, it has corrupted our own duty to the truth, twisting the mind in the process. Compartmentalizing antisemitism while telling ourselves we are serving God is the unadulterated sign of a cultic mind. We already know the cost of this particular cult, it is in the millions.

60 | January 22, 2013 4:06 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    Obama had it quashed just before the election. It will be coming back with a vengeance now that Obama can be more “flexible”.

61 | January 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Dales Weeks is our Macduff

Dale Weeks

Much like American Jews, all Americans have lost their way; one could easily substitute secular examples to your Judaic ones, and it would tell the same story.

American Jews and Americans at large have never had more in common; American Jews seem to have forgotten how to be Jews, and Americans have forgotten how to be Americans.

A Liked

8 hours ago
    in reply to megatron
    34 Likes
    F

jackaru

“….. Americans have forgotten how to be Americans.”

Yeah, ‘real Americans’ would never elect a ‘Black’ guy to be Prez, right?

LOSER.

A Like

4 hours ago
    in reply to Dale Weeks
    1 Like
    F

Dale Weeks

JACKARU (above) Funny thing, race had nothing to do with my comment, it wasn’t alluded to and never entered my mind.

You, on the other hand, immediately played your pathetic little “race card”, and hurled an insult to boot.

Who’s the “LOSER”?

62. 62 | January 22, 2013 4:09 pm

I’m being “outed”? :o

63 | January 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Bouncy lip-synched the National Anthem.

These people are all fakes.

64 | January 22, 2013 4:11 pm

@ Speranza:

Via the article Osprey linked to.

Nobody but Nobody is intimidated by Obama. Obama himself is a half-bright, pencil neck who likes to get high. More worrisome are those monsters that prop up Obama & The Mooch: Axelrod, Jarrett, and the coterie of czars.

65. 65 | January 22, 2013 4:11 pm

@ MacDuff:

They are not p[art of the Church.

66. 66 | January 22, 2013 4:12 pm

@ Speranza:

Nobody but Nobody is intimidated by Obama.

I wish this was true, but just look at how the GOP bows before him as a god. They are scared of Obama and does what he wants.

67 | January 22, 2013 4:12 pm

And Bubba will be Bubba.

68 | January 22, 2013 4:14 pm

@ Speranza:
    Nobody but Nobody is intimidated by Obama.

The Stupid Party is scared of its own shadow.

69 | January 22, 2013 4:15 pm

The Osprey wrote:

And Bubba will be Bubba.

Bill Clinton -- perpetually vulgar.

70 | January 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Great one from R.S. McCain: The next 1460 days: I STILL HOPE HE FAILS

We’re back to the Truman era, when the godless Commies who threatened America were clandestine subversives who called themselves “liberals.”

Really, it’s in some ways much worse now. Julius Rosenberg and Alger Hiss were traitorous stooges of Moscow, but today’s “liberals” pursue a Bolshevik agenda of strictly domestic origin. The disciples of Howard Zinn, Saul Alinksy, Bill Ayers and Frank Marshall Davis are most certainly Marxists, and we should not be afraid to call them what they are. Hell, “neo-Marxism” is the fashionable style for young hipsters.

71. 71 | January 22, 2013 4:22 pm

@ Speranza:

They are going the way of the whigs. That’s why I tell everyone, look out for yourself. Exercise be healthy, save money, buy gold/silver, buy ammo, buy canned goods and keep your faith in God. We are going through a political dark age and there’s no political savior on the horizon.

Obama and the Democrats have turned this country into a defacto one party state.

72. 72 | January 22, 2013 4:26 pm

@ The Osprey:

Hell, “neo-Marxism” is the fashionable style for young hipsters.

I have been warning about the Hipster movement. This is not some fashion trend or music trend. It is a very nasty totalitarian movement that has its goal the creation of a Dictatorship. Those who are not Hip, will be eliminated. Only those who are hip or awesome will be allowed to live. These people would make Stalin, Hitler and Mao blush.

73. 73 | January 22, 2013 4:26 pm

The Osprey wrote:

And Bubba will be Bubba.

…and the Dems still revere him as though he were magic. I actually remember when someone like him would have been an embarrassment to his country and his party, but now, neither his country or his party much cares and both see him as an icon.

Maybe that’s why the country and his party have so much in common these days.

74 | January 22, 2013 4:35 pm

@ MacDuff:
    Clinton is an impeached president with a credible accusation of rape by Anita
    Broadrick. Even then NOW President Patricxia Ireland didn’t dispute the claim,
    but bsaid that the Statute of Limitations has passed.
    Clinton is treated as a hero, because that’s how low the bar is now.

75 | January 22, 2013 4:38 pm

No argument from me.

76. 76 | January 22, 2013 4:41 pm

@ Speranza:

That’s my philosophy. Democrat vs. Republican is sham show. The Democrats are in power and Republicans are just a straw-man for them to beat up. We do not have a real political process.

77. 77 | January 22, 2013 4:43 pm

We’ve become a shallow, banal people. As I stated in my “outed” comment above, “Americans have forgotten how to be Americans”. I should have said that we’ve forgotten who we are.

We desperately need someone to reignite that torch that has been the American spirit for more than 200 years…..it’s become a friggin’ Bic Lighter made in friggin’ China.

78. AZfederalist
    78 | January 22, 2013 4:45 pm

@ eaglesoars:

The proposal was withdrawn, not enough support. It went back for modifications. It’s not dead yet, so vigilance is needed.

79 | January 22, 2013 4:46 pm

@ MacDuff:
    American citizenship has become devalued.
    It is tribalism now, my group against other groups and Obama exploits it.
    I wonder what our troops think of us?

80 | January 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Speranza wrote:

No argument from me.

been there myself since 2004

81. 81 | January 22, 2013 4:51 pm

@ Speranza:

The problem isn’t a failure of candidate or party, it’s a failure of the people. The apathy is palpable. I don’t think Patrick Henry himself could rouse these 300 million lumps of flesh from their stupor and, alas, that’s just the way people like Obama like ‘em.

82 | January 22, 2013 4:54 pm

MacDuff wrote:

@ Speranza:

after decades of abuse at the hand of the feds, what would you expect?…the govt had beat down the middle class without remorse, in favor of pandering to the helpless for votes..the system is rigged bro…talk all you want about reform or leadership, and I’ll tell you, you are wasting your breath…my pessimism is off the charts

83 | January 22, 2013 4:58 pm

the system is RIGGED…the liberals have developed a voting bloc in their favor that is almost invincible….they were looking forward decades while the GOP twiddled their thumbs…this situation was not just contrived, it was inevitable…if you live off the feds you cannot vote, otherwise, them and the media will succeed

84 | January 22, 2013 5:04 pm

the elite elected officials are full time pro’s…the electorate they lord over are part time participants..either the voters have their heads down pounding out a living, or they are sitting on their ass watching AmIdol, waiting for their check…under these conditions, political conservatism cannot and won’t survive…7.5% unemployment is a reality now, not some point I made almost five years ago

85 | January 22, 2013 5:06 pm

the GOP needs their own version of Obama…the game is forever changed, the fear I had when he was running in 07…there is no bar anymore

86. 86 | January 22, 2013 5:16 pm

If there’re any admins around, this need a prominent place. It’s pretty excellent.

Arthur Davis:

Obama’s Us vs. Them Speech

The consensus about Barack Obama’s inaugural address is right. It is the most fulsome presidential defense of liberalism we have heard since 1965, and the most programmatically specific inaugural speech since the thirties. This was also the rhetoric of a partisan who believes his opponents are losers and fools, who won’t have much threat left in them ten years from now.

But before liberals feel too deep a thrill, they should consider the following proposition: Obama’s words will be paired with a second term resume that could be the thinnest since Richard Nixon. Given the alignment in the House, and the number of Red State Democratic senators on the ballot in 2014, there is no viable chance Obama can actually enact a single item on the liberal wish list. Not one, from an assault weapons ban to an overhaul of corporate deductions, to cap and trade, to comprehensive immigration reform, to a government financed infrastructure plan, to a recalibrated war on poverty, to campaign finance reform.

So, Obama Part 2 is more about the tactical work of isolating conservatives than classic presidential legacy building: in other words, not so different from the stalemate of the second half of Obama’s first term. Of course, for liberals, the president’s middling results have had the perverse consequence of providing a rallying cry without a record of accomplishments that are susceptible to backfire (the backlash at Obamacare is a window into how vulnerable Obama might have been if he had managed to pass legislation on immigration or climate change).

This entirely unpredictable element–that gridlock has spared Democrats the consequences of their policies floundering–plus shifting demographics which Republicans have struggled to adjust to, have left an altered political landscape. If not quite the liberal dawn that some Democrats are prematurely celebrating (as they did four years ago), the terrain is changed enough that major stretches of Obama’s speech already seem more boilerplate than visionary.

And in that shifting space, Republicans have lost ground. For example, there will still be a robust immigration debate, but the goal of deporting large-scale numbers of undocumented immigrants is a political non-starter. The Affordable Care Act will remain controversial, as premiums rise, and its taxes and mandates touch real lives and businesses, but the baseline of the fight will be an acceptance that universal healthcare is a contemporary social value. Republicans will contest the inevitable new taxes Democrats propose, but with the burden of having conceded that not all raised taxes kill job growth.

And the final thought? The sad recognition that we are really are two cultures now, with fewer shared ideals than ever. There are the Americans who wept happily yesterday at Obama’s survival, and the Americans who wanted the speech turned off at eating establishments. We are now practicing equal but separate.

Bright spots appear in the damnedest places, but sometimes a reformed Democrat can be the best person to rally around.

87 | January 22, 2013 5:22 pm

I guess I missed the bright spot…all that’s been said over and over

88. 88 | January 22, 2013 5:30 pm

heysoos wrote:

I guess I missed the bright spot…all that’s been said over and over

Well, I guess we gotta say it again… .maybe we can say it in funny accents to get attention. Look, I’m about as pessimistic as you, but I’m not admitting defeat until I’m dead and I’ll be dead soon enough.

I gotta tell you though, the longer this administration wears on, the better that Lexapro looks. Eh, maybe a bowl and a beer until the pharmacy opens…….. :D

89. Moe Katz
    89 | January 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Anyone following the election results in Israel?

90 | January 22, 2013 5:33 pm

personally, no one can defeat my principles…you can kill me for it but so what?…I’d die a free man while do the bidding of your superiors…spit

91. 91 | January 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

Anyone following the election results in Israel?

I know they’re more uplifting than the last election results in the US. I also know that the Palestinians are, shall we say, not amused. Viva Bibi!

92. Moe Katz
    92 | January 22, 2013 5:42 pm

@ MacDuff:
    Bibi, but with a very different alignment in the Knesset. Israeli politics are like a kaleidoscope.

93. 93 | January 22, 2013 5:44 pm

I don’t think that England is a mildly anti-semitic country. The already-existing hatred towards Jewish people has been murderously inflamed by their resident jihadis.

94 | January 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

Ya got that right!
    It’s going to be interesting to see what the new Government looks like.

95 | January 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Speaking of dead, A parish priest told us in grammar school that Heaven is what
    you like most in this life.
    So, I will spend eternity in a great sports bar, with huge flat screens, great burgers,
    pizza , wings & ice cold beer.
    Notre Dame will win every game (Lou Holtz coaching) , the White Sox win
    the World Series every year & the Cubs spend eternity apologizing for
    disgraceful performances.
    It will be great!

96 | January 22, 2013 5:52 pm

So Obama didn’t get rid of Bibi! Doesn’t have that kind of world power yet

97. Moe Katz
    97 | January 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Speaking of dead, A parish priest told us in grammar school that Heaven is what
    you like most in this life.

Dang, I thought you got to play the harp. Never could get the hang of that instrument.

99 | January 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

Speaking of dead, A parish priest told us in grammar school that Heaven is what
    you like most in this life.

Bet that you can get lessons up there.

99. 100 | January 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Speaking of dead, A parish priest told us in grammar school that Heaven is what
    you like most in this life.
    pizza , wings & ice cold beer.
    Notre Dame will win every game (Lou Holtz coaching) , the White Sox win
    the World Series every year & the Cubs spend eternity apologizing for
    disgraceful performances.
    It will be great!

Yeah, Lou Holtz! And all of the players would have REAL girlfriends!

100. 101 | January 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

Personally, I’d prefer a Stratocaster…..with Clapton’s fingers.

102 | January 22, 2013 6:03 pm

@ MacDuff:
    The Alabama destruction of Notre Dame was total.
    The Bama star quarterbacks girlfriend is Miss Alabama.
    On the other hand Notre Dames star line backers girlfriend
    never existed.

102. yenta-fada
    103 | January 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

Yes, times three. I see it in Canada with the public sector unions, the NDP/Green party socialists, and the Muslim stealth jihad. It’s not mild, it’s waiting for Stephen Harper to get voted out to go full strength.

103. Moe Katz
    104 | January 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Bet that you can get lessons up there.

It would probably take me Eternity to learn it. Hope the lessons are free.

104. Moe Katz
    105 | January 22, 2013 6:11 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Moe Katz wrote:
    Personally, I’d prefer a Stratocaster…..with Clapton’s fingers.

Or Hendrix’s….

106 | January 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

Bet that you can get lessons up there.

It would probably take me Eternity to learn it. Hope the lessons are free.

On the bright side, you will have eternity.

106. Moe Katz
    107 | January 22, 2013 6:12 pm

yenta-fada wrote:I see it in Canada with the public sector unions, the NDP/Green party socialists, and the Muslim stealth jihad. It’s not mild, it’s waiting for Stephen Harper to get voted out to go full strength.

That’s very true, and scary. Harper supports Israel out of principle, not political expediency. Pretty Boy Trudeau would sure be no friend of ours.

107. Moe Katz
    108 | January 22, 2013 6:14 pm

On the bright side, you will have eternity.

True. And if you don’t make any progress, maybe you’re in the other place.

108. 109 | January 22, 2013 6:16 pm

The Alabama destruction of Notre Dame was total.
    The Bama star quarterbacks girlfriend is Miss Alabama.
    On the other hand Notre Dames star line backers girlfriend
    never existed.

Yeah, well……I know there’s a pony underneath that manure but I’ll be damned if I can find it! :D

On the bright side, at least for me, my Louisville Cardinals ate Florida’s lunch in the Sugar Bowl and are having a banner basketball season, No.1 before Syracuse upset us!

The Irish will just have to wait until next year…..and reintroduce those boys to reality! Back when I was in school, the football players had women hanging off them and the physics and engineering guys had imaginary women.

Things change, I guess. Have a good evening, my friend!

110 | January 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

On the bright side, you will have eternity.

True. And if you don’t make any progress, maybe you’re in the other place.

Don’t go to that place. Obama is President for eternity.
    Really annoying.

111 | January 22, 2013 6:17 pm

@ MacDuff:
    Mac, have a great evening.

111. Moe Katz
    112 | January 22, 2013 6:18 pm

LOL

113 | January 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Bibi will get to be a thorn in Obama’s side for another term. :lol:
    Go Bibi go!

113. yenta-fada
    114 | January 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

Justin’s brother and campaign is an outright Communist. He’s smarter than Justin (not that hard to do). Our condo has just sent around a memo that a subcommittee i.e. one person, has been formed to look at “post-disaster recovery”. His name is something like Abdullah Abdullah. Clearly not one of the many Iranians in this neighborhood who came to Canada after the fall of the Shah. Straight up radical. What does he know? I’ve seen a couple of radicals in the lobby. I sat down and they moved to the other end of the room.

114. 115 | January 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

Or Hendrix’s….

I’m not “picky”, I’ll take either. Hell, Prince is also worthy of some awe! That’s a video worth watching if you haven’t seen it.

115. yenta-fada
    116 | January 22, 2013 6:20 pm

@ yenta-fada:

PIMF ‘campaign manager’

116. Moe Katz
    117 | January 22, 2013 6:27 pm

@ yenta-fada:
    Living in Quebec I see it all the time from the old-stock Quebecois. People will pick arguments with me about Israel, as though I’m an official representative or something. The French-language media are so anti-Israel it’s sickening. In a way you can’t blame those Quebecois who get all their views of Israel from their own media/Radio-Canada, for their bias….

117. Moe Katz
    118 | January 22, 2013 6:29 pm

MacDuff wrote:

I’m not “picky”

Nice pun. Speaking of which Chet Atkins once recorded an album called “Stay Tuned.”

118. Moe Katz
    119 | January 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Chores and trip to the gym await. Over and out.

119. yenta-fada
    120 | January 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Moe Katz wrote:

Chores and trip to the gym await. Over and out.

Bye! I belong to Honest Reporting Canada. I know about the French language media in Quebec and their anti-Israel views. The same goes for English Canada, frankly. The CBC is pro-Palestinian.

121 | January 22, 2013 6:49 pm

interesting…Jews and guitars?
    Mike Bloomfield

121. Moe Katz
    122 | January 22, 2013 7:20 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

The CBC is pro-Palestinian.

Yes, infuriatingly so. Makes me want to throw something at the radio sometimes.

Chores done, off to the gym.

123 | January 22, 2013 7:37 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Moe Katz wrote:
    Or Hendrix’s….

Jeff Beck or Joe Satriani.

123. Moe Katz