Atomic Snow!

by coldwarrior ( 164 Comments › )
Filed under meteorology, Open thread at January 23rd, 2013 - 6:00 pm

I drove through this on way home from work last night.

NOW I HAVE SUPER POWERS!!!!

Atomic Snow!

Sometimes, you don’t need a lake to get lake-effect snow. A complex of power plants will do the job just as well.

Meteorologists at the National Weather Service’s office in Moon Township noticed something Tuesday night they apparently don’t see too often — a snow band, stretching for miles from western Beaver County across northern Allegheny County.

The band, which dropped a quick inch of snow in some places, didn’t originate at Lake Erie.

It came from the power plants at Shippingport.

OK, before you start with the jokes about nuclear winter, NWS meteorologist Lee Hendricks says there’s nothing sinister going on here. Rather, it’s just a matter of what happens when cold air meets steam.

“You had plumes of warm, moist air coming from the cooling towers of the power plants, and that was meeting the cold air we’ve had in place this week,” Hendricks said. “When the warm, moist air comes in contact with the cold air, it condenses and (Tuesday), it fell as snow.”

Actually, it fell as a lot of snow, in a very limited area. The screen cap shows the snow band stretching from a narrow ribbon at Shippingport and then spreading out as it stretched across Marshall, Pine and Richland townships. In those townships — and especially in the Wexford area, Hendricks said — the cooling tower-powered snow dumped an inch of snow or more very quickly.

“It’s the same process as lake-effect snow,” he said. “We just saw it on a very limited scale here.”

FirstEnergy, which operates both the Beaver Valley Nuclear Power Station and the coal-fired Bruce Mansfield Power Plant, pumps out a lot of warm, wet air from the cooling towers at both plants, spokeswoman Jennifer Young said. The 90-degree water from a single Beaver Valley stack evaporates at a rate of about 10,000 gallons a minute, and output from the Bruce Mansfield plant is about the same.

And when the two Beaver Valley towers and the three Bruce Mansfield towers are all running at the same time — as they were on Tuesday — that’s more then enough steam to power a mini lake-effect event.

Or, perhaps, a more apt comparison would be the snow guns that coat ski areas with man-made snow when Mother Nature isn’t feeling cooperative. Anna Weltz, spokeswoman for Seven Springs Mountain Resort, said the principle is the same.

“We pump very cold water from our storage lakes down to the guns and that water is met with compressed air,” Weltz said. “When that spray meets the cold air — the colder, the better — it turns into snow.”

Weltz said Seven Springs can make snow when the temperatures reach 28 degrees, but colder and drier is better.

“Twenty-six seems to be the magic number for light, dry snow,” she said. “Anything warmer than that can mean you get something wet and sloppy, something closer to rain.”

Hendricks, who lives in Hookstown, said that happens around Shippingport as well, especially in the spring and fall.

“Those plants can actually generate a drizzle when the conditions are right,” he said. “Shippingport has its own micro-climate, thanks to the power plants.”

I pledge to use my new powers only for good!

Comments

164 Responses to “Atomic Snow!”

1 | January 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Don’t use the “A” word, you’ll scare the Mushrooms. :twisted:

2. yenta-fada
    2 | January 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Bad neighborhood for us, CW. Winter storm coming beginning of Feb.

3 | January 23, 2013 7:13 pm

Global Warming!!!!!!!
    Charles Johnson

4 | January 23, 2013 7:40 pm

speaking of snow…
    I’m not a board fan, but this is pretty astounding…it takes some epic balls to attempt a run like this…you fall, you probably die

5. brookly red
    5 | January 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Speranza wrote:

Global Warming!!!!!!!
    Charles Johnson

so when the cold front hits Hillary’s testimony tonight DC should be under 14″ by sunrise…

6 | January 23, 2013 7:55 pm

unbelievable crash landing caught on tape…yowza

7 | January 23, 2013 8:25 pm

No Expectations

8. AZfederalist
    8 | January 23, 2013 8:52 pm

@ heysoos:

That looks way steeper than 60 degrees.

9 | January 23, 2013 8:55 pm

brookly red wrote:

Speranza wrote:
    Global Warming!!!!!!!
    Charles Johnson

She is fugly!

10. brookly red
    10 | January 23, 2013 9:01 pm

totally off topic but I just looked at the DoD side bar and saw that the alligator did in fact eat Ludwig last…

11 | January 23, 2013 9:02 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

@ heysoos:
    That looks way steeper than 60 degrees.

at the top it looked practically vertical…snow skiing is a thing unto itself…many’s the time I just stood at top the view below me and couldn’t move, petrified…a black diamond run goes down fast and steep, then there are double black runs, or chopper up to a cirque…it never ends, it’s a huge rush

12. eaglesoars
    12 | January 23, 2013 9:04 pm

speaking of snow…

I’m really glad people who are certifiably insane find benign outlets.

HOLY CRAP!!

13. 13 | January 23, 2013 9:05 pm

brookly red wrote:

And after 3 days of unbearable agony… the alligator finally died from eating him… :shock:

14 | January 23, 2013 9:06 pm

@ brookly red:
    what’s that?…I always hated that guy and I don’t hate anybody

15. brookly red
    15 | January 23, 2013 9:06 pm

doriangrey wrote:

brookly red wrote:

the alligator died? fuckin A

16. Calo
    16 | January 23, 2013 9:08 pm

@ brookly red:
    It was about as funny as his Fox News Slut Shammin’ tirade.

17. 17 | January 23, 2013 9:08 pm

When you think of the parts of the world where we will unavoidably be in conflict, hint: The the Rop, sending women into combat might not be so good. Women at the hands of the enemy could be opening a bad door.

18. brookly red
    18 | January 23, 2013 9:08 pm

@ brookly red:
    what’s that?…I always hated that guy and I don’t hate anybody

it seems that CJ killed his last real poster and is now totally in the imaginary friend realm.

19 | January 23, 2013 9:10 pm

brookly red wrote:

@ brookly red:
    what’s that?…I always hated that guy and I don’t hate anybody

no shit…Ludwig is disgusting, I used to kick him in the nuts regularly

20. 20 | January 23, 2013 9:10 pm

brookly red wrote:

doriangrey wrote:
    brookly red wrote:

the alligator died? fuckin A

What did you expect? You eat that much toxic shit and you are going to die, even if you’re an alligator or a shark…

21. brookly red
    21 | January 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

wtf the rop would do the same to a man but enjoy it more.

22 | January 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

I’m sorta on the fence…they are itchin to put lead on target, and women in general can be very cool under stress and tough as hell in a fight…my own sister is like that

23 | January 23, 2013 9:13 pm

brookly red wrote:

@ brookly red:
    what’s that?…I always hated that guy and I don’t hate anybody

All socks all the time.
    I’ll bet even some of the socks hate him…

24 | January 23, 2013 9:17 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Johnson is now like a bad B movie about a guy who goes
    completely bat shit crazy.

25 | January 23, 2013 9:17 pm

unbelievable crash landing caught on tape…yowza

Is that Obama’s Plane? Choom Gang 1?

26. eaglesoars
    26 | January 23, 2013 9:17 pm

heysoos wrote:

my own sister is like that

I wonder if this means that women will now be eligible for the draft -- assuming it ever comes back that is

27 | January 23, 2013 9:20 pm

I remember a story from the first Gulf war…a supply convoy got jumped and shot up pretty good…half the drivers were women, everybody grabbed their carbines and hit the sand fighting for their lives…this transport bunch, half women and the women fought a tidy, well organized defense until help got to them…the blurb was a glowing whatever you call it for the girls

28. eaglesoars
    28 | January 23, 2013 9:25 pm

heysoos wrote:

the blurb was a glowing whatever you call it for the girls

About a year ago the NYT Sunday mag ran an piece on an all-female unit that patrolled on foot -- I think Iraq -- may have been Afghanistan -- but in any event, it was solid, respectful reporting.

29. 29 | January 23, 2013 9:27 pm

heysoos wrote:

No discredit to any female soldier. I’m just thinking of women up against a mob of islamic men, who hate women more than they hate just about anything.

30 | January 23, 2013 9:27 pm

skiing deep powder in the trees, down over boulders, oceans of snow…
    it’s hypnotic

31 | January 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

heysoos wrote:

you kill them with malice

32 | January 23, 2013 9:31 pm

@ 28 eaglesoars: Foxhole no. Combat support ok. Just don’t get caught by a muslim mob. It will be grotesque.

WAtch the seal training show. Only Demi Moore would make it through.

33. 33 | January 23, 2013 9:34 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

I wonder if this means that women will now be eligible for the draft — assuming it ever comes back that is

Yes, it does.

34 | January 23, 2013 9:35 pm

darkwords wrote:

WAtch the seal training show. Only Demi Moore would make it through.

there have been rumors for years of an all female Seal team…there are some extremely tough women out there that want the challenge…weight and strength modified for smaller people…women can go places and do things men cannot, and they are every bit as lethal

35. brookly red
    35 | January 23, 2013 9:38 pm

darkwords wrote:

WAtch the seal training show. Only Demi Moore would make it through.

I have the good fortune of knowing a woman who was an IDF tank jockey…

36. eaglesoars
    36 | January 23, 2013 9:39 pm

I’ve been following this via posts on Free Republic and wondering how on earth the Eastern Sport and Outdoor show was going to be able to actually open with all the organizations/sponsors boycotting them.

Apparently, they’re not. They have only one sponsor left.

heh

h/t instapundit

37. eaglesoars
    37 | January 23, 2013 9:41 pm

women can go places and do things men cannot, and they are every bit as lethal

I would have made a very good spy/recon person. But the physical stuff req’d for the SEALS -- would never make it. Way too small.

38 | January 23, 2013 9:43 pm

women can go places and do things men cannot, and they are every bit as lethal
    I would have made a very good spy/recon person. But the physical stuff req’d for the SEALS — would never make it. Way too small.

HIT THE GYM!

39. brookly red
    39 | January 23, 2013 9:44 pm

women can go places and do things men cannot, and they are every bit as lethal

can you drive a truck?

40 | January 23, 2013 9:44 pm

women can go places and do things men cannot, and they are every bit as lethal

The number of women who could complete SEAL training is so small that they could probably all fit in my living room.

And it’s not likely that any of them are going to sign up, because they’re all world-class athletes and have better things to do.

41. Lily
    41 | January 23, 2013 9:44 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

Bad neighborhood for us, CW. Winter storm coming beginning of Feb.

Where I live that just means more cold rain. So far this month we have had at least 10 1/2 inches. Indeed it’s been wet and in 2012 we nearly had 100 inches of rain.
    /I suppose that is why it is very luscious green most the year (except for right now). ;)
    /Keep warm.

42 | January 23, 2013 9:46 pm

women can go places and do things men cannot, and they are every bit as lethal

the idea is that training would be relative in difficulty

43. Lily
    43 | January 23, 2013 9:46 pm

brookly red wrote:

Alligator??? They can be nasty animals……for sure.

44 | January 23, 2013 9:47 pm

You’re going to see very few enlisted women who are interested in serving in combat arms positions. This is a political deal, so that female officers can get their tickets punched for senior command positions, which always go to combat arms officers.

They’ve been trying to do this since the Clinton administration.

45. eaglesoars
    45 | January 23, 2013 9:47 pm

HIT THE GYM!

don’t be an idiot. In my prime I weighed 107 lbs soaking wet. I still only weigh 113.

brookly red wrote:

can you drive a truck?

don’t know. Never had the opportunity to learn.

AND I’M 60 YRS OLD ALREADY M’KAY??

Those days are long gone………..

46. Lily
    46 | January 23, 2013 9:48 pm

:shock:
    /for some reason it reminds me if the alligator would have bit Chuck Norris…the suffering the gator would have gone through would have been sheer hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

47 | January 23, 2013 9:48 pm

the idea is that training would be relative in difficulty

Who’s “idea”?

Not the SEALs, I guarantee you. Everyone on the team has to be able to do everything, including carrying wounded teammates to safety.

48. Lily
    48 | January 23, 2013 9:49 pm

@ brookly red:
    what’s that?…I always hated that guy and I don’t hate anybody

????? No one?? ;)

49 | January 23, 2013 9:50 pm

the idea is that training would be relative in difficulty
    Who’s “idea”?

where did you start in the thread?…go back and read what I posted

50. eaglesoars
    50 | January 23, 2013 9:51 pm

AH HA!!

51 | January 23, 2013 9:52 pm

@ eaglesoars:

I remember when I was assigned to a transportation battalion in Germany. About 20% of the drivers were women.

Almost all of them drove typewriters at headquarters, because they weren’t physically capable of actually doing the job they were supposed to be doing.

52. eaglesoars
    52 | January 23, 2013 9:53 pm

the idea is that training would be relative in difficulty

That doesn’t make sense to me. You have to be able to complete whatever mission you’re given

53 | January 23, 2013 9:54 pm

where did you start in the thread?…go back and read what I posted

I read it. Since you’re not in charge of SEAL training, it doesn’t matter how you think it should be done.

They won’t change the standards to allow women into the program, at least not without a massive exodus of SEALs.

54. Lily
    54 | January 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

Oh indeed! Hands down. This is another stupid thing that is being done. In obama’s world the sky is a much different color than what really the sky color is.
    Oh and yeah another 4 years of this American hater!///////////
    Yesterday at re-hab they refused to put the TV on because of the inauguration!!!!! I said ‘thank-you’ so much! Then the two nurses went on a rant about obama and Biden like you would I have never heard or seen before. It warmed my heart! ;)

55. eaglesoars
    55 | January 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Precisely. And I think it’s dangerous to put women in positions we/they can’t physically perform. There is no shame in that. Women can do a lot. Remember in WW II, they flew planes off the production lines into theater. We can certainly contribute in significant ways

56 | January 23, 2013 9:56 pm

the idea is that training would be relative in difficulty

Exactly.

They don’t make smaller machine guns, or lighter truck tires, for women.

If they can meet the standards established to do the actual job, great. But 99.9% of women simply can’t.

There’s no reason to pretend otherwise.

57 | January 23, 2013 9:57 pm

the idea is that training would be relative in difficulty

the idea is that training would be relative in difficulty

that’s true, why doesn’t it make sense?…women are highly capable and not every mission involves taking down multiple huge bad guys

58 | January 23, 2013 9:59 pm

There’s no reason to pretend otherwise.

Yes there is, if the mission that is aimed at is pushing “women are in all ways the equivalent of men.”

59. eaglesoars
    59 | January 23, 2013 9:59 pm

at least not without a massive exodus of SEALs.

And Scott Horvath would have a fit and go on a rampage.

:wink:

60 | January 23, 2013 9:59 pm

@ eaglesoars:

It’s dangerous to them and everyone around them. Sure, if there are one or two women in a 30 member platoon and someone gets hit, you can find someone who’s strong enough to go get them.

You don’t have that luxury with a 4-person Special Ops element.

61. Lily
    61 | January 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

Yes, it does.

Indeed. The problem with that is not all women are built like men or capable of doing what men can do. Not to diss women…but we are built differently than men…a man’s heart would explode if he had to give birth to a child…a women’s heart nope. There is a time and a place for things women could do just as their is a time and a place for men.

62 | January 23, 2013 10:01 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

Apparently, they’re not. They have only one sponsor left.

heh

h/t instapundit

I was just over there reading about that mess ESOS has gotten themselves into. The interesting thing I have noticed is that the left is always calling for a boycotts of the many things they dislike and always fail to have any impact. Whereas this rare call for a boycott by the right is looking rather impressive at the moment, much to the discomfiture of ESOS. :twisted:

63 | January 23, 2013 10:02 pm

eaglesoars wrote:

at least not without a massive exodus of SEALs.
    And Scott Horvath would have a fit and go on a rampage.

So would Scott Coleman.

64. Lily
    64 | January 23, 2013 10:02 pm

women can go places and do things men cannot, and they are every bit as lethal
    HIT THE GYM!

Hitting the gym would NOT HELP LITTLE WOMEN. SORRY! Sure it would make us a little stronger…but not enough…sorry you are sooooooo wrong here.

65. eaglesoars
    65 | January 23, 2013 10:04 pm

heysoos wrote:

If you think I can hump an 80 lb pack for 20 miles you are dreaming. I never could. I have humped a 30 lb pack for 15 miles/day for 5 days when I weighed 107. No gym/workout/training is going to enable me to be what I can’t be.

66. Lily
    66 | January 23, 2013 10:06 pm

HIT THE GYM!
    brookly red wrote:
    can you drive a truck?
    don’t know. Never had the opportunity to learn.
    AND I’M 60 YRS OLD ALREADY M’KAY??
    Those days are long gone………..

Preach it sister. I’m a little woman too. No matter how much gym..it would not have been enough. These guys have watched too much TV. lobo is living in reality here. Not saying women don’t have skills, just way different ones than men.

67 | January 23, 2013 10:07 pm

women can go places and do things men cannot, and they are every bit as lethal
    HIT THE GYM!

I’m almost 61…so I go to this seniors gym to rehab and exercise, and damn, no matter what time I go there it’s full and more than half the patrons are women, older than me…and alot more fit!…I’m ashamed, but it’s a pleasant atmosphere

68. eaglesoars
    68 | January 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

See, I don’t think there WAS a call for a boycott (I could be wrong). I think people just got pissed off and said “you know what? Not even THIS far”.

I imagine Dick’s Sporting Goods will be out of business this time next year and nobody called for a boycott of them either. People just won’t put up with and will spend their money elsewhere.

69 | January 23, 2013 10:09 pm

@ Lily:

The people who do the best in the SEAL and SF courses aren’t actually guys who look like they could be in the NFL. They’re usually marathon runners, or mountain climbers. It takes a combination of strength and endurance, not just brute force.

It’s a numbers game, really. Only 25% of the military-age population even meets the requirements to get into the military. of that population, only a few percent actually join.

And out of the ones who do, only a small percentage volunteer for special ops. They’re pretty much the top 2-3% of the military.

And 70% of those who volunteer wash out of training.

70. Lily
    70 | January 23, 2013 10:10 pm

where did you start in the thread?…go back and read what I posted

Not to mention even some men aren’t able to be a SEAL! A woman being able to complete it??? I don’t care whether she scraps with other people doens’t mean she can complete the training program to become a SEAL.

71. eaglesoars
    71 | January 23, 2013 10:11 pm

Lily wrote:

Not saying women don’t have skills,

It’s not even skills. I’m not lifting a friggin’ Harley, let alone a tire for an armored vehicle.
    No amount of training will change that.

72 | January 23, 2013 10:12 pm

@ eaglesoars:

And everyone in a basic light infantry company has to be able to do that. That’s standard for what they do in Afghanistan. Plus body armor.

And that’s just your standard garden variety infantry. Rangers, SEALs, and SF carry stuff that makes them look like Cub Scouts.

73. 73 | January 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Lily wrote:

Not to diss women…but we are built differently than men…

16.4 TRILLION UPDINGS!

74 | January 23, 2013 10:14 pm

@ Macker:
    @ Macker:
    lol

75 | January 23, 2013 10:14 pm

@ Lily:

Not to mention even some men aren’t able to be a SEAL!

Not some. The vast majority.

70% of candidates wash out, and they’re selected out of the top 2-3% of the military.

76 | January 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Macker wrote:

Lily wrote:
    Not to diss women…but we are built differently than men…
    16.4 TRILLION UPDINGS!

No kidding

77. AZfederalist
    77 | January 23, 2013 10:15 pm

@ Lily:

Not just women. Genetics has a huge role in this for men as well. Men in my family have always tended to be short and wiry; my grandfather was strong as all get out, but didn’t look it. I could work out at a gym until the cows come home but wouldn’t build weightlifter’s muscles. … and I sure would not meet the special forces requirements. So why women think they need to be something they are not is beyond me.

78 | January 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

I don’t think there was a “call” for a boycott either, I used call as a convenient term. What happened is word just started to spread on it’s own like a snowball and now the show is in a world of hurt. This happens when someone pisses off the wrong Folks.

79. Lily
    79 | January 23, 2013 10:16 pm

@ heysoos:

The women may be fit…but not SEAL fit. Sorry eaglesoars has a point. We can’t do a lot of stuff men can…and men can’t do a lot things women can. Just the facts.

80. eaglesoars
    80 | January 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

This happens when someone pisses off the wrong Folks.

Yeah. It’s a thing of beauty, ain’t it?

ESOS is getting it fast and hard and I’m loving it.

81 | January 23, 2013 10:20 pm

@ AZfederalist:

The problem with this whole idea is that most of the people backing it have no clue what’s actually involved.

They look at a sniper rifle and say, “Sure, a woman could fire that and kill bad guys from 800 meters.” And they could.

What they don’t look at is how the sniper gets to his shooting position, by crawling through the weeds for 4 hours, after a 20 mile walk through the jungle, preceded by a night parachute jump.

And then he lays in the same position for a couple of days, waiting for the target to appear.

Afterwards, he follows the reverse procedure to get back to a pickup site.

82. Lily
    82 | January 23, 2013 10:21 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

@ Lily:

I understand what you mean and cannot answer this question and I’m a woman!

83 | January 23, 2013 10:22 pm

@ heysoos:

if you want to disregard my posts that’s fine…
    once again…I clearly stated that training would be tailored for the female, not assuming women can do the training of the men…the idea is a Seal team for women, designed for women and used accordingly…my female dentist, married to a Seal was where I first heard of this program being considered, then I read references in a couple of thrillers I read…I’m not promoting anything more than something to talk about

84. 84 | January 23, 2013 10:22 pm

@ Lily:

That could get ugly. Mrs MF’s heading to AZ the first week in Feb. I’ll envy her if it’s as bad as it looks like it could get here!

How’s the rehab going, Lily?

85. eaglesoars
    85 | January 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Plus body armor.

Oh crimeny! I forgot about the body armor.

True story. On our wedding day, my gown was a ball down w/enough -- er -- internal accoutrements -- ahem -- anyway the only way to get into the thing was to kneel on the floor and have it dumped over my head.

I had to be helped into a standing position. It weighed quite a bit.

Yeah, come to think of it, it probably would have stopped a bullet.

86 | January 23, 2013 10:25 pm

@ heysoos:

The CIA has female operations officers. Yes, they can be useful for certain missions.

But SEALs are Naval Special Warfare commandos, not spies or assassins. They’re combat troops who operate under extreme conditions.

87. Lily
    87 | January 23, 2013 10:25 pm

@ mfhorn:

Good! Up to 10 minutes! A little at a time. But I’m getting a little bit better each day. Slow …but getting there. :)

88. eaglesoars
    88 | January 23, 2013 10:27 pm

the idea is a Seal team for women, designed for women and used accordingly

That might be worth pursuing. But we wouldn’t be SEALS and if I were in a position to try for it, I wouldn’t want to insult the men by calling myself one.

89. Lily
    89 | January 23, 2013 10:27 pm

@ heysoos:

if you want to disregard my posts that’s fine…

Why single me out??? Several people are pointing out you are wrong.
    /but hey I’m a easy target heh?

90 | January 23, 2013 10:29 pm

@ Lily:

Actually, you have an advantage there. You’d be a smaller target than the rest of us :)

91. eaglesoars
    91 | January 23, 2013 10:30 pm

The CIA has female operations officers

That former CIA guy, last name Baer, I think, is married to one. They did some missions together before they married. In one of the ‘stans. Wrote a book together about it.

92. Lily
    92 | January 23, 2013 10:32 pm

:lol: I’d have to be with just having a damn heart by-pass! Plus I’m too old…but even if I were younger…I know I couldn’t do what a male SEAL team member could do.

93 | January 23, 2013 10:32 pm

the idea is a Seal team for women, designed for women and used accordingly

SEALETTES?
    jus kidding, it’s not the letters, call them whatever you want…the idea is ultra vigorous training in all sorts of stuff, similar to SEAL training.no one would ask them to carry a tank on their back or attempt something outside the nature of thei capabilities…anyway it a terrible idea, go make me a sammich

94. eaglesoars
    94 | January 23, 2013 10:34 pm

go make me a sammich

mayo or mustard?

95 | January 23, 2013 10:34 pm

Lily wrote:

I spent 32 years in the military, and I couldn’t, either.

I had enough trouble keeping up with the infantry troops I had to work with.

96 | January 23, 2013 10:36 pm

go make me a sammich
    mayo or mustard?

in NM whatever you order, somewhere in there they ask “red or green?”…it’s our state motto

97. Lily
    97 | January 23, 2013 10:36 pm

go make me a sammich
    mayo or mustard?

Oh my you are going to take that order????
    ;)

98. 98 | January 23, 2013 10:37 pm

I just think that women serving amongst men in combat, as well as open gays, just add another level of cultural complication to an already difficult job. The military’s job isn’t to be inclusive, it’s job is to be deadly, and adding all these layers of unnecessary complexity just gets in the way of the job at hand.

99. Lily
    99 | January 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Lily wrote:
    I spent 32 years in the military, and I couldn’t, either.
    I had enough trouble keeping up with the infantry troops I had to work with.

I bet … I read about the training for being a SEAL. The ringing of the bell..the helment on the ground. It’s tough.

100 | January 23, 2013 10:38 pm

Not to change the subject, but it looks like the pro-abortion crowd is fighting to outdo each other when it comes to sick celebrations of the Roe v. Wade anniversary:

Lefty Rag Salon: “So What If Abortion Ends A Life?”…

Of all the diabolically clever moves the anti-choice lobby has ever pulled, surely one of the greatest has been its consistent co-opting of the word “life.” Life! Who wants to argue with that? Who wants be on the side of … not-life? That’s why the language of those who support abortion has for so long been carefully couched in other terms. While opponents of abortion eagerly describe themselves as “pro-life,” the rest of have had to scramble around with not nearly as big-ticket words like “choice” and “reproductive freedom.” The “life” conversation is often too a thorny one to even broach. Yet I know that throughout my own pregnancies, I never wavered for a moment in the belief that I was carrying a human life inside of me. I believe that’s what a fetus is: a human life. And that doesn’t make me one iota less solidly pro-choice.

I’ll bet her kids are so proud…

101 | January 23, 2013 10:38 pm

go make me a sammich
    mayo or mustard?
    Oh my you are going to take that order????

sorry, what was I thinking!…
    I should have said po boy

102. Lily
    102 | January 23, 2013 10:38 pm

@ MacDuff:

Very true!

103. yenta-fada
    103 | January 23, 2013 10:38 pm

Definition of CHUTZPAH

A little old lady sold pretzels on a street corner for a dollar each.
    Every day a young man would leave his office building at lunch time
    and as he passed the pretzel stand, he would leave her a dollar, but
    never take a pretzel.
    This offering went on for more than three years. The two of them
    never spoke. One day as the young man passed the old lady’s stand
    and left his dollar as usual, the pretzel lady spoke to him for the first time in over three years. Without blinking an eye she said:

“They’re a dollar and a quarter now.”

104 | January 23, 2013 10:39 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Absolutely.

105. yenta-fada
    105 | January 23, 2013 10:41 pm

The CIA has female operations officers

Robert Baer? I’ve read a couple of his books. He certainly had nothing good to say about the Israelis.

106. eaglesoars
    106 | January 23, 2013 10:41 pm

heysoos wrote:

hot peppers. on sammiches. I’ll have to try that.

I’m thinking something w/avocado and some nice Spanish ham. And tomato

107. Lily
    107 | January 23, 2013 10:41 pm

go make me a sammich
    mayo or mustard?
    Oh my you are going to take that order????
    sorry, what was I thinking!…
    I should have said po boy

True you should have ordered a shrimp po boy….missed out. ;)

108. yenta-fada
    108 | January 23, 2013 10:42 pm

@ MacDuff:

Re-edumacation camp fer you!

109 | January 23, 2013 10:43 pm

@ MacDuff:

There’s only one question that should be asked when somebody proposes something like this: How will it improve the military’s readiness or effectiveness?

If the answer is that it won’t, or that any positives are outweighed by negative effects, then it shouldn’t be done.

110. Lily
    110 | January 23, 2013 10:44 pm

*shakes head* Disgusting. Pro-choice is really pro-abortion…because they are not into anything about pro-life ….

111 | January 23, 2013 10:45 pm

go make me a sammich
    mayo or mustard?
    Oh my you are going to take that order????
    sorry, what was I thinking!…
    I should have said po boy
    True you should have ordered a shrimp po boy….missed out.

I didn’t think fast enough, but I wasn’t thinking Pittsburgh fo sho

112 | January 23, 2013 10:45 pm

@ Lily:

I particularly like the first line. Referring to pro-lifers as “diabolical” has to be a first.

I wonder if she knows what that word means?

113. eaglesoars
    113 | January 23, 2013 10:47 pm

yenta-fada wrote:

Really? I don’t remember anything like that. And I think I would have. (Yes, Robert Baer, thanks)

I should have said po boy

I hate po boys. My New Orleans mother never could get them down my gullet. I don’t like fried seafood and i HATE oysters.

114. Lily
    114 | January 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Doubtful. In my opinion. They speak without really thinking.

115. 115 | January 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Lily wrote:

I love when that happens. And it does, in surprising places. People can’t wait to tell you how much they dislike him.

116. AZfederalist
    116 | January 23, 2013 10:49 pm

@ Lily:

Yep, gloves are off, they aren’t afraid to let us know who they are.

117. Lily
    117 | January 23, 2013 10:49 pm

@ eaglesoars:

And with that (not liking fried seafood…but not all po-boys are fried seafood) …..good-night all and everyone have a great day tomorrow. :)

118. 118 | January 23, 2013 10:50 pm

Warning, Graphic video.

Syrian Jihadi has child behead Assad supporter.

119. AZfederalist
    119 | January 23, 2013 10:50 pm

Goodnight Lily

120 | January 23, 2013 10:50 pm

@ Lily:

Night

121. eaglesoars
    121 | January 23, 2013 10:52 pm

I’ll bet her kids are so proud…

I’m going to get in trouble for this.

Why doesn’t the father of the child have a say in this?

122. 122 | January 23, 2013 10:52 pm

I actually got a call into Michael Savage’s show tonight. It was pretty cool talking to him. The question was about why Robert DeNiro is such a big, fat liberal since he is supposedly a tough Italian guy from New York. And the assumption being that growing up in a hard knock world in the big city generally knocks sense into a person and they see the world for what it really is. So I got my two cents in!

123. Lily
    123 | January 23, 2013 10:52 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

Before I go…with so many disliking him..how the hell did he get re-elected? Mysteries of mysteries I say! *(voter fraud)*

124. 124 | January 23, 2013 10:53 pm

@ MacDuff:

I don’t think that’s even on their agenda. I think they want to water down the military culture and this works toward that end quite nicely.

125. 125 | January 23, 2013 10:53 pm

Warning, Graphic video.
    Syrian Jihadi has child behead Assad supporter.

ANOTHER one?? It seems to happen every other week with these people.

126. eaglesoars
    126 | January 23, 2013 10:53 pm

nite Lily!

Rodan, I’m not watching it so don’t expect me to discuss it.

127. 127 | January 23, 2013 10:54 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

They cheated and there’s a whole lot of stupid out there.

128. eaglesoars
    128 | January 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

So I got my two cents in!

And??????

129. 129 | January 23, 2013 10:59 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

The Hipsters should see this video.

131 | January 23, 2013 11:01 pm

@ MacDuff:

Of course.

I was referring to what a military professional would ask, not a left-wing political activist.

131. 132 | January 23, 2013 11:04 pm

And??????

I told Savage that as he knows there are two New Yorks, and I could tell he really knew what I was talking about.. [mind you I AM nervous doing this and having been on hold forever]..one for the elites and then there’s the rest of us. I said that DeNiro was great in Mean Streets and Raging Bull and really captured something in those movies, but he probably had an artsy fartsy background with his father being a painter. He probably didn’t have that hard knock life like his image projects. He was never truly the guy you saw in those movies, he’s just a really good actor.

Then I had to wait for a commercial break and continue, which I kind of messed up because I wasn’t sure for a second or two if I was on the air. So I wrapped it up quickly. Was really fun and cool!

132. 133 | January 23, 2013 11:05 pm

@ Urban Infidel:
    The Hipsters should see this video.

Hipsters should be strapped to chairs en masse and have their eyelids forced open like in Clockwork Orange and made to watch a marathon of islamic death porn.

133. eaglesoars
    134 | January 23, 2013 11:08 pm

MacDuff wrote:

Here’s an excellent piece on women in combat

The IQ requirement for soldiers should be raised to 110

WTF? What is it now? (do I want to know?)

mine is considerably higher and trust me -- I’m NOT all that smart.

134. eaglesoars
    135 | January 23, 2013 11:11 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

but he probably had an artsy fartsy background with his father being a painter.

I remember that -- there was a lawsuit over his father’s estate -- some art gallery or something.

But you’re right -- he’s one hell of an actor. As is Pacino.

135. 136 | January 23, 2013 11:11 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

He was a Hipster!

136. 137 | January 23, 2013 11:11 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

That might find that hip!

138 | January 23, 2013 11:12 pm

@ eaglesoars:

WTF? What is it now? (do I want to know?)

mine is considerably higher and trust me — I’m NOT all that smart.

Depends on the branch and MOS (specialty).

110 is what the Army requires for officers, SF, and some technical fields.

138. 139 | January 23, 2013 11:13 pm

Has anyone seen this? The WBC had a demonstration in Times Square and were met by Queer Nation. What could go wrong?

The VILE Westboro Cult vs Anonymous & their Obscene Protest. Which begs the question that my friend Pamela who blogged it asks: Was the dildo really necessary?

139. 140 | January 23, 2013 11:14 pm

Civilian control of the military has its downside, as does everything.

140. 141 | January 23, 2013 11:15 pm

@ eaglesoars:
    The early careers of both Pacino and DeNiro are unmatched, even by them. DeNiro’s father, who is a painter, played Maury in Goodfellas. Remember he got whacked for asking for his cut of the Lufthansa heist?

141. 142 | January 23, 2013 11:16 pm

@ Urban Infidel:
    That might find that hip!

If that’s the case, then sorry to say we’re doomed.

142. eaglesoars
    143 | January 23, 2013 11:17 pm

110 is what the Army requires for officers, SF, and some technical fields.

ok. That tells me they have to be using some tests in addition to the IQ tests. I understand that some people don’t test well and standard IQ tests don’t measure a lot of things.

143. eaglesoars
    144 | January 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

NO WAY!! Oh, man…….yeah, I love that movie, watch it every time I run across it.

144. 145 | January 23, 2013 11:21 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

It makes one long for a platoon of flame throwers to put the lot o them out of their misery.

BTW, the look on the cop’s face is perfect!

146 | January 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Goodfellas is terrific..I love mob movies, and that one might be the best ever

147 | January 23, 2013 11:24 pm

@ eaglesoars:

Yes, there are multiple parts to the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery). You get a series of scores for each of the different components. The one that’s most closely equivalent to an IQ score is known as the GT (General Technical) score, which is some sort of composite of different sections of the test.

147. 148 | January 23, 2013 11:25 pm

MacDuff wrote:

BTW, the look on the cop’s face is perfect!

Cops always have that look. LOL!

149 | January 23, 2013 11:25 pm

@ heysoos:

I like Casino better, but that’s just me.

149. 150 | January 23, 2013 11:27 pm

@ heysoos:
    It’s a real classic from beginning to end. Another movie that I would place in the top movies of all time would be Scarface. There is not one single boring scene in that entire film.

151 | January 23, 2013 11:27 pm

@ heysoos:
    I like Casino better, but that’s just me.

just deleted my Casino post, you beat me to it…that was one hell of a movie too, awesome dialog and characters..and the sound track was outa this world

151. 152 | January 23, 2013 11:29 pm

@ heysoos:
    I like Casino better, but that’s just me.

I was having a big problem with Joe Pesci’s facelift. It was creeping me out.

153 | January 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Get Shorty…
    anybody dig that movie?

153. AZfederalist
    154 | January 23, 2013 11:32 pm

@ MacDuff:

It makes one long for a platoon of flame throwers to put the lot o them out of their our misery.

BTW, the look on the cop’s face is perfect!

Minor modification. ;-)

154. eaglesoars
    155 | January 23, 2013 11:32 pm

I just looked up how IQ tests are scored, etc. I didn’t know abut the standard deviation calculation, so now I feel much better about the 110 score.

Ok, gotta go to bed. Nite everyone.

155. AZfederalist
    156 | January 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Goodnight Eaglesoars

157 | January 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Urban Infidel wrote:

@ heysoos:
    I like Casino better, but that’s just me.

I was having a big problem with Joe Pesci’s facelift. It was creeping me out.

Pesci is priceless…he’s in the select group of 6-8 of those gangster elite

157. 158 | January 23, 2013 11:34 pm

NO WAY!! Oh, man…….yeah, I love that movie, watch it every time

Okay, wait. I have to correct myself, DeNiro’s father wasn’t in Goodfellas, I just looked it up. Someone told me that a long time ago and I just accepted it. DeNiro, Sr. looks nothing like the actor in the movie. Here’s the website for the estate.

158. 159 | January 23, 2013 11:48 pm

@ Urban Infidel:

I hate to speak ill of the dead, but DeNiro is a hell of a lot better actor than his father was a painter. They kinda suck.

159. 160 | January 23, 2013 11:51 pm

@ heysoos:

Did you know hat Pesci knew Frankie Valli when they were teenagers? He actually introduced Valli to the guy who wrote all of the Four Seasons’ hits.

160. 161 | January 23, 2013 11:57 pm

@ MacDuff:
    I was going to say the same thing. I’m not digging his art. On that note, I’m over and out.

Good night all.

161. AZfederalist
    162 | January 24, 2013 12:09 am

Goodnight Urban Infidel

162. AZfederalist
    163 | January 24, 2013 12:14 am

@ Urban Infidel:

Ever see art and say “I could do that”? Yeah, and I am not by any stretch of the imagination able to draw. Those look like something someone in grade school would do.

163. 164 | January 24, 2013 8:51 am

AZfederalist wrote:

@ Urban Infidel:

Yes. I went to art school. I know I can do better than that.