An Open Letter To The RNC

by Flyovercountry ( 153 Comments › )
Filed under Politics, Republican Party at January 24th, 2013 - 2:00 pm

In Yesterday’s mail, just as I had predicted, I received four separate communications from the Republican Party in one form or another. Each one of the communications was designed to separate me from the hard earned fruits of my labor, and each one promised to use those resources in order to fight for our conservative principles and to fight the leftist agenda which plagues America. Their exact wording follows as thus:

We must not lose faith in our conservative principles, and never stop working to restore our prosperity and security and make America the greatest country on Earth.

And we must begin today, with confidence in our cause, to meet the challenges ahead and continue to resist Barack Obama’s extremist ultra liberal policies.

Special note to the RNC: your communication mistakenly combined the words ultra and liberal into one word, which does not exist in our language. You may wish to take $50 or so and invest in a spell checker for your word processing before you send out mass communications.

What follows is my response mailed back for each and every one of the communications received.

To whom it may concern,

I do appreciate your communication and efforts to reach out to me in order to fight the, “ultra liberal,” agenda which is unfortunately becoming a reality as a consequence of the two most recent Presidential elections. I do have some thoughts on this, which I am returning in your prepaid envelope in lieu of a check. I believe that some message from the rank and file of your party needs to be imparted to the leadership, and I further believe that it would do the leadership a world of good to actually hear that message, so please bear with me. The money is only temporarily being withheld, and my part of your financial spigot will be restored if at some point in the future I feel that you do intend to represent my values.

I have become increasingly disenchanted with the Republican brand recently, and not for the reasons that you are probably telling yourselves. I have always considered myself to be a person who is more to the right politically speaking, and have conducted myself as though the Republican Party shared that philosophy. While I do realize that the word conservative means vastly different things, depending on who was speaking at any particular point in time, there have usually been some central principles that have been shared by the entirety of our voting base.

The concept of free market economics, limited government intrusion into the private lives of Americans, strict and literal interpretation of our Constitution, respecting all the Amendments found in our Bill of Rights, sane government spending, balancing our budget, constraining the size and scope of our government, and returning our vast federal behemoth to the size, scope, and limitations envisioned by our nation’s founders, has been a central tenet of the bulk of the GOP voting base for as long as I can remember. The problem I have is that while those who run for office under the GOP brand may give lip service to this concept, once elected, their actions do not match the promises made. What’s worse, is that recently I have heard and read much about how the Party needs to swing itself to the left politically in order to appeal to various special interest groups, or to groups identified by differing ethnic backgrounds rather the the generic term of all American citizens. This new rhetoric started with the class of television pundits, (who by the way have zero interest in Republican electoral success,) and then found itself being agreed upon by our own party leadership.

How does this square with your communication to me, promising to be conservative in the future? Do you believe your voting base to be stupid? It’s not just the rhetoric, but the actions that have me convinced that the shift leftward is real. The last two candidates for the Presidency nominated by the GOP have been the two fellows who were furthest to the left politically in our field of candidates. I realize that currently, on a national level we are at a disadvantage. I am not an idiot, however there are things that we can do as a party to stand up for what we believe in. Recently, our House Speaker just signed onto a deal that increased the rate of taxation in exchange for a huge increase in spending, while there is still no budget in place.

I have heard nothing positive said about the Tea Party by any Republican leader. All the Tea Party did, was to deliver a wave election to your midst for 2010. After that historic victory, you thanked that movement by insulting them, ignoring them, and capitulating on the Obama agenda. Being a member of a political party that asks for my money, feels entitled to my vote, and disdains my voice does not work for me.

Conservatism wins elections. It works each and every time it is tried. There is a reason why Republicans hold the Governorships in 30 out of 50 states right now, and why we as a party are doing tremendously well at the state and local level. Since Ronald Reagan, and our eschewing of his philosophy, how have we done as a party on the national level? The practice of becoming the Party of Democrat Lite has not been successful by any stretch of the definition of success. What on Earth makes you believe that it will work in the future? I can tell you that governance by the Democrat Lite brand interests me no more than being governed by the real thing. Judging by the electoral results of the last two decades, I am not alone in this thinking.

Respectfully yours,

John

Cross Posted from Musings of a Mad Conservative.

Comments

153 Responses to “An Open Letter To The RNC”

1 | January 24, 2013 2:14 pm

well said, speaks for me

2. 2 | January 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Great post!

3. 3 | January 24, 2013 2:16 pm

@ heysoos:

I didn’t leave the party, it left me. Flyover really nailed it.

5 | January 24, 2013 2:19 pm

I stopped supporting both the State and National GOPee when I finally realized that Bush was never going to get off his ass and fight. As long as the GOPee remains afraid of fighting the Liberals they will remain losers.

p.s. There’s nothing wrong with “ultra liberal”. New words and phrases come and go all the time in American English. American English is one of the most dynamic languages in use and is changing constantly. :wink:

5. 6 | January 24, 2013 2:22 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Just focus on your life, that is all you can do!

7 | January 24, 2013 2:24 pm

@ heysoos:
    I didn’t leave the party, it left me. Flyover really nailed it.

we share nearly exact thoughts on this party thing…to me the problems are obvious and the solutions relatively simple…but I don’t get frustrated, I become apathetic….all this GOP drama was totally needless, but they let it get out of control….the biggest victory for the donks has been ALLOWED to define the GOP, which is political suicide

8 | January 24, 2013 2:25 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Just focus on your life, that is all you can do!

I’ve plenty of beer and popcorn*, it’s going to get real interesting…

*Beerfreak code for guns and ammo. :twisted:

8. AZfederalist
    9 | January 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Excellent post! You’ve captured the heart of the disaffection many of us have been feeling. I stopped donating to the GOP after 2006 and have only been donating directly to those candidates I know to share my values.

10 | January 24, 2013 2:34 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

I’ve never given a cent to any pol or party…seems sorta obscene to me since it’s a multi billion dollar industry…I’d like to see less money not more…I’m find it contemptible that races are won or lost according to cash flow…it’s a fundamental problem

11 | January 24, 2013 2:34 pm

The problem with elephant poaching is not just in Africa. Damn few American Elephants left…

11. taxfreekiller
    12 | January 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Every one for himself/herself uh?@ Rodan:

12. AZfederalist
    13 | January 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Naperville, Illinois installs “smart meters” and 2 women arrested or resisting

Reading the article, it’s not clear that these are the kind of meters that allow for throttling electric use or are just wireless meters to allow the electric company to read the meters without having to send a meter reader. If the former, yes, this is a violation of private property, if the latter, this is just a bunch of wackos who fear electromagnetic waves and will spend hours on their cell phones agitating against stray RF emanations.

13. taxfreekiller
    14 | January 24, 2013 2:38 pm

I had better stop, the ms tfk lurking down deep seems to be about to take over my fingers.

later

15 | January 24, 2013 2:40 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

Assume the latter, for the sake of argument; it does not preclude the current meter, or the next, replacement “smart meter,” being used for the former purpose.

16 | January 24, 2013 2:44 pm

@ AZfederalist:
    utilities own stuff until it enters (penetrates) the building, at least in MI…they can chop up your trees in your yard if they have to and it’s just the way it is

17 | January 24, 2013 2:45 pm

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

Taking that view of the landscape then RINOs are an invasive specie that is driving the few remaining American Elephants to extinction. If we don’t do something to control the RINO population soon there will be no American Elephants left.

17. AZfederalist
    18 | January 24, 2013 2:47 pm

@ heysoos:

Mrs. Federalist has been actively involved in a couple of high-profile campaigns here in AZ. Money is a big deal because campaigns rely on money to get the candidate’s name out to voters. Advertising, yard signs, phone calls, everything that gets the candidate in front of the voters costs money. Printers don’t work for nothing, sign companies expect to get paid, the radio and television stations don’t give away ad time, nor should they. In a well run campaign, that money goes to getting the candidate in front of the voters, particularly the low information voters (not sure what Romney did with his campaign money).

So I can’t share your aversion to money for campaigns. Especially for the kinds of candidates we seek to elect, they are not supported by the GOP establishment, making their climb even tougher.

19 | January 24, 2013 2:49 pm

@ AZfederalist:
    my bad…my post was in regard to national politics and the vast ocean of wealth used to smear rather than enlighten…local politics are another matter I suppose

20 | January 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

And it has been proven that the RINO is helpless when faced with incursions by the Hipsteropotamus.

21 | January 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

buzzsawmonkey wrote:

only vast herds of Jackasses, waiting for someone to feed them

22 | January 24, 2013 2:51 pm

@ buzzsawmonkey:
    good one

22. AZfederalist
    23 | January 24, 2013 2:52 pm

@ AZfederalist:

Understood. That’s why I think this case is not a big issue; it is the electric company upgrading its own equipment. To throttle electric use, more intrusive actions are needed. As i understand it, they place monitors and controls on various household electric equipment such as central heating/AC, water heaters, and other equipment in order to shut them down during peak electric use. That requires access to the homeowners private property. Access to the meter? Not so much, because as you point out, the electric company already has an easement to its property.

24 | January 24, 2013 2:55 pm

@ AZfederalist:
    we had those hi tech meters put on our house years ago…I’m a very private guy, but it didn’t bother me….it’s a stupid fight to pick, the principle is just not there….there is no privacy anymore unless you go off the radar

25 | January 24, 2013 2:57 pm

makes no sense to fight against a new meter then turn around and surf the internet all day…if privacy is the issue

25. 26 | January 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Okay, both heysoos and lobe supplied DiFi’s banned list on the last thread. Has anybody for the list of approximately 900 weapons specifically exempted from the ban?

27 | January 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Mike C. wrote:

these

28 | January 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Mike C. wrote:

not that I’ve seen…revolvers and pump shotguns, bolt action stuff I suppose…what’s left?

29 | January 24, 2013 3:02 pm

ha…you got me

30 | January 24, 2013 3:02 pm

@ AZfederalist:

this is all about throttling. the electric co via the govt would rather you not run your air conditioner and dryer to the same time.

this plan has been on the books for ages. my dad used to work for the electric compnay so i have heard all about it for a good few years now.

smart grid…

31 | January 24, 2013 3:04 pm

great post by the way. our little obc tea party groups has advised not to give money to the national gop for years now. give directly to the candidate of your choice.

32 | January 24, 2013 3:04 pm

I didn’t look at the list for long, as most of that stuff is familiar to me, but I assume both pump and auto loaders are exempt?

33 | January 24, 2013 3:04 pm

ha…you got me

5 round limit as well.

34 | January 24, 2013 3:07 pm

@ heysoos:
    NOT familiar that is…that exotic stuff is way over my head

34. 35 | January 24, 2013 3:07 pm

@ heysoos:

Two of the specifically listed shotguns, the LAW 12 and SPAS 12, are just regular, tube-fed autoloading shotguns. There i sreally nothing diferent about them from a regular Remington 1100. Or, for that matter, as weapons nothing different from a Remington 870. A pump shotgun and an autoloading shotgun are really abou tequivilent weapons.

35. 36 | January 24, 2013 3:08 pm

How about these?

37 | January 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Mike C. wrote:

How about these?

RAAAAACIST!!!! those are used to murder innocent native americans!

37. 38 | January 24, 2013 3:11 pm

@ Mike C.:

I’m pretty sure those are considered insensitive to Liberal’s children of indeterminant gender…

40 | January 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Mike C. wrote:
    How about these?

RAAAAACIST!!!! those are used to murder innocent native americans!

what?…you’re the racist, you didn’t capitalize native american

41 | January 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Mike C. wrote:
    How about these?
    RAAAAACIST!!!! those are used to murder innocent native americans!

what?…you’re the racist, you didn’t capitalize native american

ooops!

raaaaacist me!!!!!

40. 42 | January 24, 2013 3:19 pm

@ heysoos:

Like I said, they are just regular shotguns. If they are coming after those, sooner or later they’ll be after the Remington 1100. It is all about incrementalism to these people. They want to outlaw all guns except those in th ehands of their supporters, but they know the American public wouldn’t put up with that. So they want to do it incrementally, and have been doing it incrementally for 80 years. They are very patient, but these latter-day liberals think Obama gives them the chance to have it all. They ignore the fact that he was re-elected with seven million fewer votes than when he was the Obamessiah in 2008. And Americans are voting on gun control with their wallets right now. You can’t find any of these rifles at a reasonable price anywhere right now. People are buying up years worth of weapons under a normal market.

41. 43 | January 24, 2013 3:19 pm

Cap guns non-PC, eh? Okay, how about these?

42. AZfederalist
    44 | January 24, 2013 3:23 pm

heysoos wrote:

If you read the linked article, it seems like privacy is only a peripheral issue with those opposing the meters. It seems more that they were concerned with the RF emanations from those devices. The articles state that the goups opposing the meters are concerned about health, security, and privacy. Now, it is certainly possible that hackers can gain access to the meter reading, but that could occur with a manual meter as well. Security? Not sure how that even applies, knowing how much electricity is being used is not going to tell anyone very much.

43. 45 | January 24, 2013 3:27 pm

See my headline. This is Fascism!

44. 46 | January 24, 2013 3:29 pm

@ AZfederalist:

It can mean down the road, they can decide who gets how much electricity and when

47 | January 24, 2013 3:29 pm

“If Republicans want to stop gun control legislation in the US Senate all they have to do is attach a budget to it and Harry Reid will ensure it never comes up for a vote.” Heh.

(This comment was shamelessly stolen from another website on the net. :twisted: )

48 | January 24, 2013 3:30 pm

@ AZfederalist:

the privacy problem is that the electric company will eventually know what is running and when and for how long. they will have the ability to turn off items as well. anyone who has one of the ‘free’ electric water heaters from the electric co knows this already.

the point to this is to make people use electricity during off peak hours. so dry your clothes at 3am. they will want to bill peak electricity higher than off peak as well. these meters will do that. however, the companies wont let you buy electricity at a lower rate in advance. no furutes market for you!

why is knowing when items are on or off important? that data could tell me everything i need to know about that household and i dont need a warrant. these smart meters are hideous and are not complaint with the 4th amendment as soon as they monitor anything inside the house, which they will in short order as you buy new appliances..

47. AZfederalist
    49 | January 24, 2013 3:30 pm

That doesn’t seem to be the issue with this story. That may be an eventual goal, but right now, this appears that those meters only are set up to read remotely. Any throttling would be to the whole house which is not what smart grid and throttling are purported to be about. To achieve that smart grid plan, the electric company would need access to the homeowners electrical equipment. Since these are MSM articles, it’s hard to know the real story, but it really seems like these are some of those folks who fear wireless signals as a health threats.

50 | January 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

(This comment was shamelessly stolen from another website on the net. )

bravo!

51 | January 24, 2013 3:31 pm

@ AZfederalist:
    it’s just more data piling up…in the extreme, your habits can be monitored to determine when your home etc…more Big Brother is the theory

52 | January 24, 2013 3:31 pm

#48

and smart appliances.

53 | January 24, 2013 3:33 pm

@ AZfederalist:

how dare you have your fridge at 38 degrees! you must change that to 42 degrees of be fined!

52. 54 | January 24, 2013 3:33 pm

These people are entirely too stupid to have as much power as they do.

/which has become the norm…

EgyptAir reviews ‘hot’ in-flight movies after Islamist complaint

Egypt’s national airline said on Thursday it will analyze its onboard movies to make sure they respect “Egyptian values and customs,” following a complaint by a Muslim Brotherhood member who took offence at a film screened during one of its flights.

The head of Egypt’s Shoura council caused a stir during a flight from Sudan to Egypt when he called on the plane’s staff to stop screening a movie featuring “Hot Scenes,” according to an Egyptian daily.

A brief verbal altercation took place during the flight between the crew and the council delegation which was resolved when the captain intervened and lifted the television screens in front of the council members.

D’oh!

55 | January 24, 2013 3:35 pm

@ AZfederalist:

or if your utilities spike, you either have guests or your growing weed…something like that

54. AZfederalist
    56 | January 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Just installing wireless meters will not do that. More invasive actions are required. A wireless meter is incapable of knowing what appliance is running or what the thermostat is set at. That requires hardware installed on those appliances or the discrete power lines going into those appliances. The point at which that becomes required is the point at which the charge of fascism is valid. The ability to read the meter remotely and thus eliminate a few union meter reader jobs? Not so much.

57 | January 24, 2013 3:38 pm

@ AZfederalist:
    one step at a time comrade…in ten years they will be looking inside your house from a street light pole down the block

56. 58 | January 24, 2013 3:40 pm

This meter stuff is actually scary.

59 | January 24, 2013 3:40 pm

there is no doubt in my mind that govt would love to be able to surveille any citizen at any time…the technology is coming along nicely

58. 60 | January 24, 2013 3:43 pm

heysoos wrote:

That is coming and expect both parties to sign onto this but for different reasons.

61 | January 24, 2013 3:43 pm

This meter stuff is actually scary.

collecting data is easy and getting easier…storing it is not a problem…it’s determining how to use it that is the clincher, and believe me, someone is working on that

62 | January 24, 2013 3:46 pm

heysoos wrote:

certainly, it will be a simple national security issue…”we promise”

61. 63 | January 24, 2013 3:47 pm

@ heysoos:

Part of the problem is simply filtering the data. They have information overload as it is, and things are just getting worse. The more information there is, the harder it is to sort the signal from the noise.

64 | January 24, 2013 3:48 pm

incrementalism.

the left and the busy body bureaucrats live for incrementalism

65 | January 24, 2013 3:50 pm

@ AZfederalist:

we didnt get we we are overnight. there was a little piled on here, our side piled some on and we remained silent ’cause it was our side afterall, the left incrementally piles more layers on.

and then hey! what happened???

64. AZfederalist
    66 | January 24, 2013 3:51 pm

This is the group opposing the installation of the meters. If you watch the video, there are conderns regarding privacy, but that would only allow use vs. time data collection that is any different that what they can already do. They cannot control individual devices without access to those devices. Yes, that could be incrementalism, it could also be much more efficient than sending a meter reader around.
    Naperville Group

67 | January 24, 2013 3:51 pm

@ heysoos:

storage is just a matter of numbers…the geeks will find the algorithms to unlock the entire mass…it’s what the NSA does for a living, and their budget is unaccounted for

66. 68 | January 24, 2013 3:51 pm

They will find a way to eventually filter it.

67. 69 | January 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Yup!

70 | January 24, 2013 3:53 pm

From my view the conservatives who have won governorships have done so because of strong track records of success.

Obama has framed the conservative agenda as kooky and the msm will only allow that voice.

1. How do you break out?
    2. How do you get the illegal immigrant to vote conservative?
    3. How do you get the female vote?
    4. How do you get the minority vote?

71 | January 24, 2013 3:53 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

Naperville Group

it’s not about controlling devices, it’s about knowing what you’re doing

72 | January 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Next up: data black boxes on cars that will store where and when you go, how fast you go, etc… I’ve read that they are already installed in most new cars. Flo on the Progressive TV ads is already telling us what a nifty cool idea it is. Onward to highway usage tax. How progressive. //

73 | January 24, 2013 3:55 pm

unpossible!
    no way Jose!

72. 74 | January 24, 2013 3:55 pm

@ huckfunn:

That’s coming. It will be the back door way to get a mileage tax. Watch!

75 | January 24, 2013 3:56 pm

huckfunn wrote:

incrementalism, but that black box is an easy hack. i can do that already with an obd2 reader, a laptop, and a cable.

76 | January 24, 2013 3:56 pm

New Buzz Ballad, shouting out to Senator Feinstein: “Ban All the Guns.”

Comments at the Tatler welcomed.

77 | January 24, 2013 3:57 pm

unplugging yourself is a crime against the State comrade…this way please

78 | January 24, 2013 3:57 pm

@ 59 heysoos: I worked for a govt boss who wanted cameras everywhere as a means of controlling safety. She wanted active weight loss programs for employees. She wanted employees that never smoked. at work or at home. Too costly to maintain the health care. So she made a case for each. None of them passed but they are squeezed into policy into slower ways now.

PArt of the gun control argument should be that democrats have proven they beat their spouses on their birthdays and can’t be trusted with essential freedoms.

77. 79 | January 24, 2013 3:58 pm

@ darkwords:

When the GOP base realizes they need more electoral allies in suburban and urban areas. Until then, expect Democratic dominance.

80 | January 24, 2013 3:58 pm

unpossible!
    no way Jose!

Yep. It’s already here. Flo wants to put one on your car so she can jack up your rates when you go to fast or enjoy a doobie when your cruising down I-40.

79. 81 | January 24, 2013 3:58 pm

They can make it a penalty for tampering. Trust me, there’s a way.

82 | January 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Exactly my point.

81. 83 | January 24, 2013 3:59 pm

@ huckfunn:

Washington State is planning a milegae tax.

84 | January 24, 2013 3:59 pm

common sense
    security
    benefits everyone
    ever hear terms?

85 | January 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Disable it, feed it false info or bofe?

84. 86 | January 24, 2013 4:00 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Exactly my point.

That is why these smart meters scare me. It’s just a step in the direction of Fascism.

85. 87 | January 24, 2013 4:01 pm

@ huckfunn:

They can make yearly monitoring mandatory. If your tag expires without inspection, bang they get you. Then when your vehicle is inspected, they can tell if it’s tampered. You are charged with tax evasion.

86. AZfederalist
    88 | January 24, 2013 4:02 pm

@ huckfunn:

I Agee with you on that one. Invasive and ironic since Progressive is a very liberal corporation.

89 | January 24, 2013 4:03 pm

@ huckfunn:

They could probably even shut the engine down if you didn’t pay your fines/taxes.

90 | January 24, 2013 4:03 pm

The Long War Journal ‏@LongWarJournal
    AQAP deputy emir Said al Shihri is dead: Yemeni government: Said al Shihri, from the second edition of Ins… http://bit.ly/W31h7S

They don’t kill them fast enough for my taste.

91 | January 24, 2013 4:03 pm

huckfunn wrote:

unpossible!
    no way Jose!

concers about privacy are very real, but it’s like CW says, it’s a stealth thing, hidden behind some common good or whatever…most of it will fly right over peoples heads, that’s why we should take a vigorous stand against the intrusions we do know about…but in the end the govt will win anyway

92 | January 24, 2013 4:04 pm

AZfederalist wrote:

@ huckfunn:

I wouldn’t insure a roller skate with those bums.

91. AZfederalist
    93 | January 24, 2013 4:04 pm

Should be “I agree”

Stupid autocorrect

92. 94 | January 24, 2013 4:04 pm

@ huckfunn:

Yes they can. Take a look at the ignition lock devices they have for people charged with DUIs. You don’t blow, your car locks.

95 | January 24, 2013 4:05 pm

They can make it a penalty for tampering. Trust me, there’s a way.

huckfunn wrote:

@ huckfunn:

cash for clunkers anyone???

96 | January 24, 2013 4:05 pm

huckfunn wrote:

that’s exactly what OnStar is capable of…the feds love that shit

97 | January 24, 2013 4:05 pm

@ 86 Rodan: privacy laws needed that state what you own and don’t own about yourself. Take your computer MAC address on any pc you have and state you legally own it and ISP’s can’t request it from you or keep logs of it.

98 | January 24, 2013 4:06 pm

@ 94 Rodan: They are adding video cams to the dui cars here to make sure someone’s kid isn’t starting the car for them.

97. 99 | January 24, 2013 4:07 pm

cash for clunkers anyone???

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

98. 100 | January 24, 2013 4:07 pm

darkwords wrote:

Yup, they are doing that here in Florida.

101 | January 24, 2013 4:08 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Disable it, feed it false info or bofe?

anything. back when i made more money and had no kids i raced the miata every few weekends. the suspension is already stiff (adjustable koni) and i had race tires on lightweight rims. the other thing i did was mess with the fuel -air -- timing mapping in the onboard computer. i had profiles i could load depending on what track i was on. these data were easy to mess with as were the other outgoing data like speeds and rpms, i would erase those after the track day and drive home so no one would know i was racing.

102 | January 24, 2013 4:08 pm

We’ll all end up with cameras in our bedroom so Facebook can tell if we are having legal sex or not and the app reports you automatically to the mayor.

103 | January 24, 2013 4:08 pm

@ huckfunn:

all that tech is Mickey Mouse compared to what we don’t know exists, and new stuff is really flying down the pike fast…make me wonder just who developed the OnStar technology…can you say ‘government funded’ research?

102. 104 | January 24, 2013 4:08 pm

@ darkwords:

I agree, we need strong privacy laws.

103. 105 | January 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Yes it really is creepy.

106 | January 24, 2013 4:10 pm

huckfunn wrote:
    Disable it, feed it false info or bofe?

anything. back when i made more money and had no kids i raced the miata every few weekends. the suspension is already stiff (adjustable koni) and i had race tires on lightweight rims. the other thing i did was mess with the fuel -air — timing mapping in the onboard computer. i had profiles i could load depending on what track i was on. these data were easy to mess with as were the other outgoing data like speeds and rpms, i would erase those after the track day and drive home so no one would know i was racing.

racing?….my comrade, that is another license entirely…we presume you know this?…step this way

107 | January 24, 2013 4:10 pm

that’s exactly what OnStar is capable of…the feds love that shit

Well, that’s right and I have Onstar on my truck. I don’t subscribe to it but they can watch me at will. DOOMED!

106. citizen_q
    108 | January 24, 2013 4:11 pm

huckfunn wrote:

AZfederalist wrote:
    @ huckfunn:

I wouldn’t insure a roller skate with those bums.

Either would I.

Not only for support of lefty causes, but their corrupt business practices.

‘My dead sister paid for Progressive to defend driver who killed her’: Brother’s outrage at insurance company’s efforts to avoid paying claim

Now Matt Fisher, Katie’s older brother, wrote a desperate account of his family’s fight with Progressive, an auto insurance company, after they resorted to extreme measures to avoid the bill.

Mr Fisher says that not only did Progressive refuse to pay the $100,000 policy to her estate, they even went so far as to pay for her killer’s attorney.

109 | January 24, 2013 4:12 pm

You will be reported, comrade. :twisted:

110 | January 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Yes it really is creepy.

the feds own thousands of businesses, involved in all sorts of discreet stuff…I’m not paranoid, but I’m not naive either….controlling the masses via information is what govts do

111 | January 24, 2013 4:13 pm

heysoos wrote:

catch me if you can, komrade!

112 | January 24, 2013 4:13 pm

heysoos wrote:

“webcams” in all new computer monitors and TV sets with heavy fines and long imprisonment for interfering with their operation.

113 | January 24, 2013 4:14 pm

huckfunn wrote:

that’s exactly what OnStar is capable of…the feds love that shit

I have an 02 Impala with it…I’ve never even turned it on, but I’m guessing with the newer stuff that wouldn’t matter…pretty simple to track a cell phone when it’s shut off

112. unclassifiable
    114 | January 24, 2013 4:15 pm

So here is what needs to happen:

Driving a car — should this be a right? What are it’s parameters?
    Having electricity — again, is this a right?

On and on.

And it is not necessary to do this at the national level. Try it at the state level first.

Liberals Totalitarians love to make up all sorts of rights and go straight to the federal government to enforce them on everyone. But this is the wrong place to do that because it forces a bloat of ill-suited regulations (and the bureaucrats that enforce them) to be created.

I am quite fine to try it on state levels and let them tailor it. If it screws up it’s only the state that attempted it not the entire damn country. Romney tried to make that point with the difference between MassCare and Obamacare but none of it sank in.

115 | January 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Haw! beat me tuit.

116 | January 24, 2013 4:16 pm

citizen_q wrote:

I remember that. Probably plenty more cases just like it.

117 | January 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Here is a message the RNC could get out.

‘If the slaughter of 20 babies does not capture and hold your attention, then I give up, because I don’t know what else will,’ said Philadelphia Police Commission Charles H. Ramsey. ‘We have to pass legislation, we can’t allow the legislation to get so watered down and filled with loopholes that it is meaningless and won’t do anything.’

But abortions are ok to him?

118 | January 24, 2013 4:17 pm

@ heysoos:

disabling onstar is pretty simple. a dude that raced a corvette had a kill switch for track dayz.

119 | January 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

global warming….
    we need to regulate energy usage for the benefit of all people, therefore each new device must be registered, no fee…grab the pertinent info off the sales deal and presto…
    done, just like that

120 | January 24, 2013 4:21 pm

@ heysoos:

well, it’s a cool idea, but not for me..I’m always on the lookout as to ways I can be abused, a game I play…that particular bad attitude came about from brawling with the IRS…I was stunned at what they know, and the ability to break you legs is very real

121 | January 24, 2013 4:23 pm

darkwords wrote:

1. How do you break out?
    2. How do you get the illegal immigrant to vote conservative?
    3. How do you get the female vote?
    4. How do you get the minority vote?

If you don’t fix the broken election system AND prevent widespread fraud how will any of it matter??

120. unclassifiable
    122 | January 24, 2013 4:26 pm

@ unclassifiable:

And the same goes for specific privacy laws also. It is quite possible where the law is not enumerated at the Constitutional or US Code level that if the Federal governments capabilities to invade privacy are of such a concern, the state could limit it and probably win in court. While the Federal government stated that a device was required for a certain purpose the state can say that it cannot be used to gather information beyond that purpose and can even specify the information that cannot be examined beyond that purpose. Hell an individual can even effect that if the Federal governments stated purpose is too broad or does not protect privacy enough.

123 | January 24, 2013 4:28 pm

@ heysoos:

Here’s a whole page of forums on disabling Onstar. One of them says just disconnect the antenna and Onstar commissars will just think you’re out of range. Funny comment and answer on one of the threads.

Q: If I am in a rural Texas town, where the sheriff is working with teh Texas Chainsaw killer, then I don’t want anyone hacker or cop to be able to disable onstar.

A: The odds of being in a rural Texas town where the sheriff is working with the Texas Chainsaw Killer are remote. It should be further noted that, in any event, OnStar is unlikely to turn itself off at the behest of the Texas Chainsaw Killer.

I see that this is your first post. Okay Glenn, we know it’s you

122. citizen_q
    124 | January 24, 2013 4:30 pm

I guess it would have been better to let the pit-bulls have their way with the kid rather than use an icky gun.

D.C. police are investigating whether a man will face criminal charges for shooting a pit bull that was attacking a child in his neighborhood.

The incident unfolded Sunday afternoon, after three pit bulls attacked an 11-year-old boy as he rode his bicycle through the Brightwood neighborhood of Northwest, according to a police report.

When the man, a neighbor, saw the boy being mauled by the dogs, he went inside his home and got a gun. The man killed one of the dogs. The gunfire attracted the attention of a police officer in the area near Eighth and Sheridan streets, where the attack occurred. The officer responded and shot the other two pit bulls as they continued to attack the boy.

125 | January 24, 2013 4:31 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

@ unclassifiable:

read up on emergency presidential powers…then we have Homeland Security…forget it, the feds can do whatever they want…we are still in a declared state of emergency stemming from 9/11…never been shut off…how do you think the TSA came about…if you fly, you are under their power and they are showing up at train depos, rest areas…like I said it’s one step at a time…the Patriot Act was the most intrusive, powerful piece of law ever passed…it gives the feds unlimited power

124. unclassifiable
    126 | January 24, 2013 4:35 pm

@ heysoos:

I agree and this is one of those things I was wrong about. The DHS is too close to a domestic intellegence agency a la the KGB.

But it can be undone.

In this aspect Ron Paul was a voice in the wilderness. Too bad. On this point he needed allies and too many folks were afraid they would be tainted with his crazy side.

127 | January 24, 2013 4:36 pm

in my world, considering my attitude toward my liberty and privacy…there is far more important/dangerous issues than than what some nutball is saying about Mitt Romneys taxes…the whole partisan, party, election cycle crap is just a diversion

126. 128 | January 24, 2013 4:42 pm

It’s all a sick prank.

129 | January 24, 2013 4:45 pm

@ citizen_q:
    The Progressive Insurance Comany means just that, Progressive.
    The President is a huge Lefty donor.

130 | January 24, 2013 4:46 pm

congress is more or less a dog and pony show for the people, a bone…the real power lies with people you never heard of, very few elected, some names you might recognize, or could find out…but most you’ve never heard of and never will…there is a ocean of power outside congressional oversite or funding…people in finance, intel, inside the Pentagon…it’s not a conspiracy, it’s a fact…there is a reason that the economy crashed when it didn’t have to…people are going to benefit bigtime…same with brush wars, arms trading, energy, etc…the president is not the most powerful man in America, he’s a tool for some purpose…the citizens are ALWAYS the last to know, if they ever do…do I think Oswald shot JFK from that window three time?…no, of course I don’t

129. unclassifiable
    131 | January 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Has anyone here got a knock on the door yet?

Well OK, with this blog we are getting away with it.

Next stop for me — greeting the Travelling Concern Troll Road Show with Obamitler and Bidenlini posters.

I’ll keep you posted.

132 | January 24, 2013 4:47 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

But it can be undone.

Sorry, but you are dreaming if you think anything is going to get “undone”, that just doesn’t happen in the real world much less in DC Town.

133 | January 24, 2013 4:50 pm

It’s all a sick prank.

don’t get me wrong, I admire everybody’s enthusiasm, knowledge, and will to live a better life in America…civil harmony is a very important aspect to this whole rant…but there are reasons we are not privy to where uncivil behavior is the goal, who knows?….manipulation of the electorate is not just a party thing, but they carry the water for someone else

134 | January 24, 2013 4:51 pm

@ citizen_q:
    The Progressive Insurance Comany means just that, Progressive.
    The President is a huge Lefty donor.

Word going around is that it was Progressive that pressed for the banning of the “scary black guns” from the Eastern Sports & Outdoor Show. :twisted:

135 | January 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

@ citizen_q:
    The Progressive Insurance Comany means just that, Progressive.
    The President is a huge Lefty donor.

I heard that they were the ones that got Marvin Zindler to shut down the Chicken Ranch in LaGrange. Just a rumor. :mrgreen:

134. unclassifiable
    136 | January 24, 2013 4:54 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

OK I’m dreaming. So what?

Dreams do come true but most of the time you got to work your ass off to get there.

135. unclassifiable
    137 | January 24, 2013 4:55 pm

huckfunn wrote:

Da_Beerfreak wrote:
    @ citizen_q:
    The Progressive Insurance Comany means just that, Progressive.
    The President is a huge Lefty donor.

Those bastids!

138 | January 24, 2013 4:57 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

Those bastids!

Sumbitches! Now I got no where to take my chickens.

139 | January 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Word going around is that it was Progressive that pressed for the banning of the “scary black guns” from the Eastern Sports & Outdoor Show. @ Da_Beerfreak:

Wouldn’t be a surprise.

140 | January 24, 2013 5:03 pm

@ unclassifiable:
    Nothing personal. It’s just way better to stop bad bills from becoming laws in the first place then to hope the Courts or Congress will fix them up later. It just never happens.

141 | January 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Da_Beerfreak wrote:

@ unclassifiable:

read this funny thing the other day…disregarding tax laws, there are over 4k federal laws and between 10 and 300k regulations…nobody has ever been able to figure it out eaxctly

142 | January 24, 2013 5:07 pm

NRA: “Senator Feinstein Has Been Trying To Ban Guns From Law-Abiding Citizens For Decades… Not Surprising That She’s Once Again Focused On Curtailing The Constitution”…

With an AR-15 and nine other guns on her left, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., introduced a bill today that would ban assault weapons and high capacity ammunition clips.

The bill comes nearly 20 years after the first assault weapons ban was signed into law. [...]

“Getting this bill signed into law will be an uphill battle, and I recognize that, but it’s a battle worth having,” Feinstein said. “We must balance the desire of a few to own military-style assault weapons with the growing threat to lives across America.”

The National Rifle Association said Feinstein’s plan infringes on second amendment rights and neglects to address other issues spurring gun violence.

“Senator Feinstein has been trying to ban guns from law-abiding citizens for decades. It’s disappointing but not surprising that she is once again focused on curtailing the Constitution instead of prosecuting criminals or fixing our broken mental health system. The American people know gun bans do not work and we are confident Congress will reject Senator Feinstein’s wrong-headed approach,” Andrew Arulanandam, spokesman for the NRA, told ABC News.

141. unclassifiable
    143 | January 24, 2013 5:08 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Let me be a little more specific.

I have been where you are and it is a perfectly reasonable position.

But I have wasted all kinds of time on losing causes including a failed marriage. If you have ever been divorced you might know a little about that.

Also if you have been on a losing sports team or had a business go under or any number of things where you looked back and said “man was that a waste of time”.

So maybe I am getting the attitude of What the F*ck.

I have come to believe that there really is no such thing as wasted time. Even if you put your effort into some kind of dream, I seem to learn a little something every time.

And with regards to this government, it is supposed to be granted its power from us. The people are supposed to be sovereign.

Now a large group of citizens (mostly not commenting on this blog) have actually bought into a dream that the government will take care of you from cradle to grave. Now whose dreaming? Given the history of the USSR, Nazi Germany, Fascist Germany, Communist China, Communist Cambodia and many, many more I am going to go on a limb and say that if anyone is dreaming its them.

142. unclassifiable
    144 | January 24, 2013 5:11 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

Oh heck its not personal.

We are all compadres here.

We got disagreements.

At least you or I don’t get banned for them.

143. unclassifiable
    145 | January 24, 2013 5:21 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

You bring up a good point. The Courts will NEVER fix them. It seems from my point of view that when you get a weird ruling from the court (like something really irritatingly squishy) it is usually their way of forcing the legislators to go fix or legislate in a responsible manner.

144. unclassifiable
    146 | January 24, 2013 5:23 pm

I am disappointed I only have one gun that is on that list.

But all the mags I have for it are on the mag cap ban.

It makes me happy.

145. unclassifiable
    147 | January 24, 2013 5:24 pm

I’m feeling like the mirror image of Speranza. I’ making all the post at the end. Someone must have rang the new thread bell.

148 | January 24, 2013 5:31 pm

@ unclassifiable:
    Heck. Our disagreements are minor. We both see the coming troubles and want to see things change. The question is where is the best place to apply pressure to make things change. And I already know there’s no single correct answer to that question.

Tom Edison was once asked how he could come up with so many good ideals. His reply was that his “secret” was to think of as many ideals as he could and keep only the “good” ones. :wink:

149 | January 24, 2013 5:32 pm

@ unclassifiable:
    I’m just really slow at writing… :oops:

148. unclassifiable
    150 | January 24, 2013 5:38 pm

@ Da_Beerfreak:

I think that means you think before you fire.

I, on the other hand, have stepped on my d*ck a few times around here.

151 | January 24, 2013 5:44 pm

@ unclassifiable:
    Only half of the time, the other half I’m fighting with the keyboard on this laptop…

150. 152 | January 24, 2013 6:46 pm

@ AZfederalist:
    No, they have done this in Houston and a few people have been having issues. they set an upper limit, if you go over they shut off power for 1 hour. The lady we know, couldn’t use the oven and microwave at the same time for weeks. I think they finally got it sorted, but as far as I know, they can ALL do this. They monitor your power. anyone with the right wifi can also monitor your power and deduce your patterns.
    Now that Obama has his voter list, he can also just shut the power off on those against him… well if he were that type of person.

151. 153 | January 24, 2013 10:32 pm

unclassifiable wrote:

@ Da_Beerfreak:
    OK I’m dreaming. So what?

Bad dreams come true without ANY work on your part.

rgranger wrote:

@ AZfederalist:

He’ll let those pesky oldsters freeze in the dark if they don’t die soon enough on their own.